Multimedia/Update: Betts out with minor lower-body injury

screen-capture-1

A look at Carey Price’s new mask, themed to his heritage and to draw attention to breast cancer awareness.
Courtesy David Arrigo

• AUDIO: Jacques Martin

Newly acquired centreman Blair Betts is out for tonight’s season-opener vs. the Maple Leafs in Toronto, sidelined with what is described as a minor lower-body injury. He might be back for Sunday’s game in Winnipeg. His spot tonight on the fourth line will be filled by Andreas Engqvist, who was sent to Hamilton yesterday.

Lars Eller still hasn’t been cleared for contact, so he’s out tonight and Sunday. No update on defenceman Andrei Markov, who continues to rehab on whatever mysterious schedule the Canadiens are using. Until he begins to skate with the team, there’s no date offered for his return.

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price will soon wear a new mask, themed to his native roots and designed to promote Breast Cancer Awareness through the month of October. Word early in the day was that it would make its first appearance tonight, but Price said that wasn’t the case following the morning skate.

More on the mask here, designed by David Arrigo, including more views of it. The mask will be auctioned for breast cancer research.

Some video following morning skates at the Air Canada Centre in very noisy dressing rooms:

1. eeffvv says:

Good news: this website ((http://itshrunk.com/cd9649) ) we has been updated and add products

and many things they abandoned their increases are welcome to visit our website. Accept cash

or credit card payments, free transport. You can try oh, will make you satisfied.

2. Jeff says:

Well fellow Hockey fans, get ready, get set, Go! This will be a very well played game, no cheap shots, great goaltending and end to end rushes. Both teams have addressed their needs and I say let the better team win tonite. It is a LONG season, things change. Injuries will pay a significant role in the end result.
    My prediction for tonite Leafs 4 Habs 2 in an exciting game!
    Both teams will make the playoffs.
    Hi Ian, hope you had a great Summer.

Most NHL teams are Pretenders to the Cup, especially the Habs !

3. ffenliv says:

There are a handful of players in the league I respect who don’t play for the habs, and I think James Reimer may become on of them. Young guy, insane hockey market, media scrutiny galore. I like to see kids who don’t come off as assholes (and Reimer certainly doesn’t) succeed in that market.

I think it’s a sort of Carey Price effect for me. Price could easily have mailed it in and demanded a trade after some of the rough rides he got from fans and media alike, but didn’t, and the habs are a better team for it.

On the other hand, people like Kessel really do strike me as dicks, and I hope he has a Gomez year..

• Jeff says:

Why do you think Kessel is a d….? He seems to be a bit shy and can score goals…..
      Why the hate?

Most NHL teams are Pretenders to the Cup, especially the Habs !

next page

5. slychard says:

Looks like someone used that joke already. I knew it was too easy. Anyway Betts will be in the lineup on Sunday so well just have to wait before seeing him in action. Anyone know what number he’ll be wearing?

6. Hobie Hansen says:

Looking in from the outside, the TSN prediction of the Habs finishing 8th is fair.

The Habs have the heart, the goaltending and the coaching to finish higher than 8th but with their injury history and also being among the softer teams can hurt them.

The forwards aren’t really the issue. The group of forwards do have some smallish players but With Cole, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn and Moen spread out, there is now some good size on each line.

The defense is the problem. Gill has some size and even though he couldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag, he’s solid. But that’s where it stops. Subban is scrappy and among the best offensive defenders in the league but if Lucic, Perry or even Malkin decide to stand in front of the net, Subban probably isn’t moving them.

Than it really drops off after that. Spacek, Diaz, Campoili and Weber possess none of the physical attributes to battle with the league’s top power forwards. Even Gorges can’t overpower most power forwards.

Yemelin was supposed to help address that issue but he has yet to prove he can play in the NHL.

If the game sticks to an end to end, barn burner style of game the Habs are money. But if it turns into a physical,
    muck and grind style of game, we could be in trouble.

bottom line is that they need another physical defenseman.

I think 8th place sounds about right.

• habsfansince91 says:

I agree but i definately think we can finish higher if the team stays healthy and Price plays just as well as least season.

• G-Man says:

The TSN prediction is full of Toronto Sporting :) News bias.
      Habs 1st or 2nd in NE division. 1st to 4th in the east.
      There, all better.

• likehoy says:

on the flip side, you have to think the faster forwards and defenders will prevent goals on odd-man rushes, and on the counter.

the faster wingers and more mobile dmen should be able to stop pucks being played into the danger areas, and the faster wingers can prevent easy point shots

doing this will limit the effectiveness of posting a big player in front of the net. It becomes a team-defense.

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

My problem with the TSN projections, is where they put the Devils. Yes I realize Parise is back, but Kovalchuk has yet to perform in the clutch, their depth is very questionable and Brodeur didn’t look any younger last year.

The Habs did make the playoffs last year, the Devils didn’t.

• Tony McLean says:

Whaddya mean “even Gorges?” You saw him against Malone. And he takes more hits than Svoboda and Breezy combined. Love the guy but…

Don’t forget about Betts, dying to see him in the Tricolore.
      —————–
      “The point is that Fergie wasn’t, and didn’t have to be, a non stop brawler. His hard earned reputation preceded him, and he could keep the opposition in line without spending all night in the penalty box.” – Jean Beliveau

7. Le Jadester says:

Probably already posted here, but I just had this e-mailed to me from a bunch of donkey leaf buddies of mine ?

By STEVE SIMMONS, QMI Agency
    “…these are not your father’s Canadiens. Their captain is American. Their best goal scorer is a kid from Richmond Hill. Their best defencemen, a Russian, is injured again and his future is in doubt. Their future best defencemen is a wonderful talent who has the amazing ability to annoy the team he plays for as much as he annoys the team he plays against. They are not Les Glorieux anymore. They haven’t won a Stanley Cup since the four months before the Blue Jays last won the World Series.”

“The history is irrelevant as this new season begins. The last time the Leafs won the Cup, they beat Montreal in the finals. This much we believe: To get to the playoffs, they’ll have to do the same this season.”

7pm tonight!

Habs, OLE !

• jwhogeveen says:

“I don’t think they even care about the playoffs……they’re mission in life is to just beat us ?“

I love it….hahaha so true!
      The Leafs could beat us 8 times this year and have a record of 8-74-0 and according to their fans and Toronto media they are the better team.
      Cheers

8. slychard says:

I guess all BETTS are off for tonight’s game!

9. sevenman says:

Nice headline / article

“Success of Canadiens drives Leafs GM crazy
    Habs beating Buds at every turn”

• habsfansince91 says:

this line really irks me,

“Their future best defencemen is a wonderful talent who has the amazing ability to annoy the team he plays for as much as he annoys the team he plays against. ”

When and where has PK annoyed his teammates? People really should do some research before they write articles.

• Chuck says:

You’ve got to remember that Steve Simmons is writing for/pandering to mostly Laff fans.

• habsfansince91 says:

That’s true.I guess that’s why I didn’t like the article very much except for the part where it mentions the habs have made the playoffs every year the leafs haven’t since Burke took over

• Danno says:

He annoyed Hal Gill when he found PK’s sweater on the floor. PK said he was “sorry”. But Gill shot back: “Sorry doesn’t mow the lawn!”

Gotta love that Skillzie!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

10. Nice work Price, part of being a professional is giving back. All teams do, and some do it more than others.

If you’re not on board with this cause then you’re not much of a person to begin with.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

11. Chris says:

Look for Mike Komisarek to be wearing pink skates tonight too, in honour of his mother who passed away from cancer (pancreatic) while he was with the Habs.

12. adamkennelly says:

How many Swiss D-men is too many for one line-up? I say two is one too many…

13. Ghosts of the Forum says:

From John Lu:

JohnLuTSNMtl John Lu
    #Habs Cole also says he’s been around long enough that he doesn’t need the coach to relay decisions to him about his role, like this one.

14 minutes ago » JohnLuTSNMtl John Lu
    #Habs Cole on playing “3rd line” in Martin’s “Top 9″: “If I’m facing the 5th and 6th d-men, I’m fine with that.” (More

14. HABSIN09 says:

RDS says that Betts is definitely out with a shoulder injury, and Enquist has been recalled and will play tonight. I have 2 questions for HIO. Can we get links to Engels’ columns? I like his writing, but don’t like having to go to “the buzz” to get it. Second, can we get 1 thread for comments? I find it difficult to follow different conversations on different threads.

15. HabsFanMTL says:

as usual gauthier goes out and signs someone without even noticing that he is injury prone and is already out of the line up because of it. what the fark is going on with this dammed GM. He’ll sign anyone who has “nhl” experience and comes CHEAP!!!! he doesn;’t care what the players circumstance is, i’m farken fed up with this Farken Habs Management!!!!!!

16. dhenry1234 says:

Ok folks it’s game day!
    First things first. What’s the status on Betts? I’ve heard that he’s not playing but this hasn’t been confirmed yet! Get on your blackberries people and help me out! lmao

Our team has finally arrived folks.

It started years ago, when Bob Gainey headed down the 401 to reconstruct the Hab’s franchise, farm teams, scouting dept., as well as head office. The Brossard training physicality came on stream and much more behind the scenes that we will ever know. Yes! our hockey organization has returned to greatness once again, after to many years of mismanagement. This is the best pro product from the top of the organization to the bottom that we have seen in a very long time.

No excuses this year folks, we will be playing in the finals in the spring, including a lot of our farm teams. Enjoy the struggle starting tonight.!

Is Betts out for sure tonight?

• shiram says:

They called up Engqvist, so I think so yeah.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Ian Cobb says:

Funny that there was no mention of injury on the wire. Sounds like the Laraque deal all over again. What the heck is going on. They have to disclose the injury before putting him on wavers.

• shiram says:

I don’t think anyone was put on waivers, Betts is out with a shoulder injury afaik.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Ian Cobb says:

We got Betts off waivers!

• shiram says:

Duh! Thought you meant Engqvist!
            Sorry about that.

What I’m getting is that it is a minor injury, and with him not having practiced with the team, maybe they are being extremely cautious, which I’m fine with.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• DEANDALLEY says:

Ian

I don’t understand “No excuses this year folks, we will be playing in the finals in the spring, including a lot of our farm teams. Enjoy the struggle starting tonight”.!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’ve got a good feeling about this team too! Just really, really wish Markov was in the lineup right now. Or that I knew how long he’ll be out for. I know we’ve done well without him, but it’s Marky….we’re a different team with him.

Anyway, that’s neither here nor there…..work can’t end fast enough today!!!

Go Habs!!!

18. adam76 says:

pink Pads? – am all for the cause but the only man who can pull off pink was Bret “Hitman” Hart. Somewhere Jacque Plante is spinning in his grave.

19. Do anybody know what the lines are going be against the Laffs tonight? Who will be the D pairing as well. Go Habs Go!!!!

20. Jordio-oh says:

Love Price’s new mask.

This kind of action in sports is a nice complement to the enormous awareness created by the NFL. They do an outstanding job. Pink everywhere.

21. shiram says:

Engqvist called up to replace injured Blair Betts.
    Emelin might be in instead of Diaz as well.
    As per renhockey..

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

22. habpunk says:

I made a comment yesterday that Betts was injury prone, particularly shoulder injuries.
    I also said that habs scouts should have known this before signing him.
    guess what?

Betts not playing tonight. why?
    he has an injured shoulder.
    hab scouts conytinue to amaze me with their lack of knowledge!

23. Hobie Hansen says:

So TSN chose the Habs to finish 8th. By the way Crawford and Bobby Mac were praising the Habs you’d think they have them picked for first place. I also heard Dreger on the radio this morning and he picked the Habs to finish higher than 8th as well.

One interesting side note from last night;s TSN forecast show was Gionta, Hall and Spezza all instantly saying “NO” when being asked if fighting should be removed.

All of them stated it is an important part of the game.

• savethepuck says:

I think their consensus is based on about 20 experts. Last Thursday when Montreal played Tampa on TSN Duthie said he had then picked for 5th and that there was 1 expert that had them picked to actually win the East. I agree the others on the panel had them picked definitely for 8th or better. The reason we end up 8th is because a lot of these “experts” on the panel are from the Toronto sports media and they would be predicting (hoping)that we don’t make the playoffs. I would bet that Steve Timmins probably has us between 12th and 15th based on the comments I’ve heard from him.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• icanskatebackwards says:

I’m no expert but I must say I’m not at all optimistic about the Habs defense. I think we’d be lucky to get in the playoffs at 8th unless there is an important transaction. I never got it why everyone used to poop on Hamrlik last year when he was one of the most consistent Dmen last year.

So now without Markov our 4 best Dmen are: “Skill” Gill, Gorges, Subban, Spacek? Diaz and Yemelin are works in progress (as they should be) and you can’t expect them to step in and play like a veteran. They will make mistakes. Throw in a Campoli in there and it’s already more respectable but still not world beaters.

Last year, even without Markov, we had a great defense (with Wiz and Hamrlik) but seemed to lack punch on the attack with a slumping Gomez and an injured Paccioretty. This year, with the addition of Cole and a motivated Gomez, we seem to have come about face with a solid/responsible attack but with a questionable D. For that reason, I think this team is weaker, not improved from the last 2 years.

• Jordio-oh says:

Is it really that interesting?

Very few players in the whole league would have said “yes, ban fighting. It has no place in the game”. They’re on national television. Regardless of what they really think (and they probably actually think fighting has to stay), not one of them is going to come out in front of the entire country and say “get rid of it”. They’d be ostracized by their peers and all for a stupid TSN players quiz.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Interesting how if someone says they want fighting banned or looked at their word is gold.

Then three very respected players who rarely fight say it is an important part of the game and all of a sudden they’re accused of lying or hiding their true feelings, give me a break.

24. savethepuck says:

Pricey has a lot of class. It’s easy as a Habs fan to like the guy just for his goaltending ability. It’s a definite added bonus that we can like the guy because of his charitable awareness and the fact he’s a humble down to earth guy.
    Comments on here over a year ago couldn’t of been farther from the truth on what kind of a person this kid really is.
    Salute to him.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

So kind of an interesting Tidbit on goalies. So Halak spent the summer trying to put weight on while improving conditioning and in Toronto Reimer took 20lbs off in the offseason. He may be a bit quicker this year, but this will be his first full season as starter at pro level. Interesting to see if he keeps the stamina up.

Of course his flash in pan could be over by Christmas. I like Reimer, great grounded person, but not sure he has the talent.

• savethepuck says:

Realistically, the guy seems like a really nice kid, but he only put together about 2 or 3 months that he may of stood on his head. I can name a lot of goalies that came out of nowhere and did what he did, that didn’t have successful careers. Of course Steve Penney comes to mind, but there have been numerous others. Brian Boucher put together a 5 game shutout streak years ago, and has not been considered too successful since.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

I think the same, and Penney is exactly who I compare too. Of course Steve did it in the Playoffs, according to Burke and Wilson you would think the last 20 games of reg. season are the playoffs.

• Cardiac says:

Two words: Jim Carey

– Jerry Maguire

• savethepuck says:

I thought of him too, and Andrew Raycroft who turned 1 good Bruin’s season into a ridiculous Leaf contract. There’s a lot more than just them too.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

I had a laugh the other night while watching TSN. They had a segment on the Leafs (surprise) goaltending situation… long story short… Reimer shed 20 lbs had a poor preseason… but it’s okay because the have … Gustavson… and a solid third-stringer with the Marlies…
      It’s a sad state of goaltending when your biggest supporter/leading sports media forum is addressing the 3rd stringer in preseason. Ha!

26. Mr_MacDougall says:

Yeah, Tsn has the Rangers, Sabers, Lightning, and Devils ahead of the Habs. I doubt any of you would swap NHL rosters with any of those squads.. I think the Habs are a lock for the playoffs, in what seed will depend, as always, on the health of the team.

A healthy Markov should have the Habs top 5 in PP and a solid season from Price should have the team in the top 10 in GAA and PK. 5 on 5 is up in the air, I think they improve significantly this year, despite JM’s passive 5 on 5 system.

Craig Button “Price is good, but not that good” …on how good he would have to be for the Habs to make the playoff.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think they will make the playoffs but nothing is a lock. If we get a few injuries on D this team will be in trouble. Our depth on experienced defense is really not good.

If Gill or Jorges go down and depending on when Markov is back this team could have some issues.

27. pmaraw says:

Usually this time of year, i’m waist deep in montreal canadiens paraphenalia, setting up the shrine, ect. However this year is different. The team looks amazing and i’m excited about them, it’s just, well… the whole Occupy Wallstreet and the Toronto 911 hearings and everything else thats going on in the world.

The 1% that control the wealth, the 99% that slave away, the 98% that dont even know this revolution is taking place. Did you know that a bunch of retired Marines are at or headed to New York to create a human barrier in their uniforms around the peaceful protesters that are being given the business from police?

Did you know one of the biggest banks in the world, a multi trillion dollar bank, just made the biggest donation of its existance, a measly 4.6 million dollars to the NYPD to get 1000 more officers on patrol in hopes to cite riots amongst the civilian protestors?

I cant write about all of it, so I’ll leave a live streaming feed from the heart of it all. http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

• christophurrr says:

i kind of want to just move to the woods.

• dhenry1234 says:

This is a sports board. Take it to ATS m8

ps the donation was made before the whole occupy wall street movement had occured.

• Chris says:

I can’t summon much sympathy for a society that shoots itself repeatedly in the foot and then whines about sore toes.

After a few decades of small business owners pissing in the wind telling people where the path of this orgy of materialism would inevitably lead, people are now demonstrating against the concentration of wealth?

We had our chance, and we blew it. Remember that everytime you send your money out of your own community by shopping at the big box stores and corporate behemoths (Future Shop/Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, Zellers, Chapters/Indigo, Ikea, etc.) that have destroyed all competition because a generation of shoppers was more interested in buying things on the cheap so that they could buy even more things, never pausing to ask whether it was a good idea to continue to prop up those behemoths who are beholden to their share-holders and must maximize profit and concentrate wealth up the chain at every opportunity.

I’m sure some of the protestors are very well-meaning, but I’m sure if you go back to the majority of their houses you will see that their activism stops at the point where it might have actually inconvenienced their abilities as North American consumers.

28. j2c says:

Going to the game to cheer on our Habs!! I will be sitting in the reds, here’s to hoping it is a good game and we come out on the winning end! Go Habs Go!!

29. Justin Alarie says:

Price is half Cowboy half Indian! I like it! lol

30. A little of topic here? Can anyone tell me where to find a on line site that is up to date on injuired players for each team. Appreciate all your efforts. Thanks

Nice to see Carey Price is starting of the season for breast cancer. My twin sister has gone through hell and back. She’s battling for her life and is my prayers daily. God Bless!! She’s a die hard Habs fan and will be looking forward in watching the game tonight!!!! Go Habs Go!!! A win would definitely lift her spirit for sure!!! I know she will be smiling and cheering all night long.

31. Mattyleg says:

So, fifth annual Hot-Dog Hockey chez Mattyleg’s new house tonight.
    Gonna be some serious gas all up in dat crib once we done wit’ da steamies.

Oh, and I like Cammi’s quote about being ‘small’ it’s not about height, it’s about strength and general bigness of play.
    Good food for thought for the ‘we’re too smurfy’ types.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. NorthernHab says:

A great cause and the chicks will love it. “Way to skate” Carey!

Go Habs Go

33. DearyLeary says:

So flipping through Toronto’s goofball paper I came upon the preview between the Habs and the Leafs tonight, in which the Star felt necessary to point out that Sergei Markov was missing from the lineup tonight. Edit much?

34. avatar_58 says:

Cool. Not *my* colour, but I’m a sucker for new masks.

35. gwebster says:

Breast cancer? What about prostate cancer? Men need to step up and raise awareness about things that affect us. Nobody else is gonna do it.

36. HabsFanNorway says:

Why NHL is a bush league!

Just posted this on NHL’s Facebook page. I can’t believe how they treat fans i Europe. Why do the play games here anyways?

“I just sent this but I’m not expecting any type of good informative response: I am writing to you to express my disbelief and disgust at the way Scandinavian NHL fans have been treated with regards to the blackout of NHL Gamecenter Live. We were promised that Gamecenter Live would be available to us this season, and now on the eve of the season, it’s blacked out and we’re told that it’s no longer available to us because the rights have been sold to someone else. They way this has been handled by the NHL and AMI/Medge has been a travesty and totally unprofessional throughout and now as the season is beginning we’re still not being told what is going on..
    How can the NHL accept that their fans and customers in Europe will be offered what most likely will be an inferior product compared to Gamecenter, at what will most likely will be at a higher cost as well? If the rights are sold to Viasat, will they have all games available on demand like Gamecenter or ESPN player last year? Honestly, I find that hard to believe and no one has assured us that it will be so. As a European NHL fan I feel cheated and treated as a second class customer by the recent dealings and if this is the way the NHL plan on treating fans in Europe then why bother sending your teams over there at all? I find it really sad that the NHL in their greed has let down hardcore fans from across Europe and told us that money is more important than fans”.

My buddy in Sweden was mentioning to me yesterday that he was going to be able to finally get games on ESPN this year?

What a surprise the NHL dropping the ball errr puck again.

Best of luck hope you end up finding way to watch games.
      I will chat with my buddy later and if he has any info. will pass on.

37. xchicksxwithxsticksx says:

did I read correctly that the pink base colour of the helmet is going to match his equipment???

38. DEANDALLEY says:

What R the stats on the debute of Price’s new masks?

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• HABSIN09 says:

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing” wow, quoting Jonah from beachcombers, never expected that!

• HabsPEI31 says:

Depends on what you mean by débuts of new masks. For every season, and only the first game of said season?

Good question.

But quick stats on three of his one-game-only masks below.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

39. RGM says:

More on the mask and accompanying pads here:
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

40. bleedhabs81 says:

Fantastic cause….

although, every time he wears a new mask it seems we lose.

Here is hoping we win and that mask raises a lot of money.

• HabsPEI31 says:

Based on what do you say that?

– Jacques Plante Heritage Mask, 4-0 loss to Calgary at the Heritage Classic;
      – Remembrance Day Tribute Mask, 4-2 win against Phoenix;
      – Centennial Game Mask, 5-1 win against Boston.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante