Habs’ Price won’t be ready to face Bruins (Video)

The Canadiens practised Tuesday morning at the Bell Centre as they prepare to face the visiting Boston Bruins Wednesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Carey Price, who has been sidelined since the end of the Olympics with a lower-body injury, was on the ice working on his lateral movement with goalie coach Stephane Waite and then took shots from his teammates near the end of practice. While Price is progressing, he’s still listed as day-to-day and won’t face the Bruins. Coach Michel Therrien didn’t say who would get the start in goal against Boston. The Canadiens are 3-3-1 since Price was sidelined with the injury.

“Carey is making progress,” Therrien told reporters after practice. “He had a good day today, and we’ll see at the end of the week where he’s at.”

After Wednesday’s game, the Canadiens next play against the Ottawa Senators Saturday night at the Bell Centre, followed by a game in Buffalo Sunday night against the Sabres.

Brandon Prust, who has fully recovered from an upper-body injury, took part in Tuesday’s practice and will face the Bruins, while Michael Bournival, who is recovering from a concussion, was still wearing a non-contact jersey. Defenceman Douglas Murray took a therapy day.

Francis Bouillon will play against the Bruins with Therrien saying he would announce the rest of his lineup on game day.

The Canadiens practised at the Bell Centre Tuesday instead of Brossard because the official team photo was taken before practice.

Thomas Vanek, acquired at last Wednesday’s trade deadline, was on a line with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta and also practised on the first power-play unit with David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty.

“It’s going to take a while to adjust, but again the more you can practise and talk to the guys and your linemates,” Vanek told reporters about adjusting to his new teammates. “Working on the power play is going to help out everyone I think, so today is a good day.”

In 53 career games against the Bruins, Vanek has 61 points.

“Numbers are numbers,” Vanek told reporters after practice. “Sometimes they’re overblown.

“I don’t prepare any different. It’s just another game, really,” he added. “They’re a good team and you’ve got to be ready. The last four or five years, Boston has been one of the better teams in the league and you want to play your best against the best teams.”

The Canadiens beat the Bruins in their first two meetings this season and have won five straight overall.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Vanek-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere
Bourque-White-Weise
Bournival-Prust-Parros

Bouillon-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Weaver

(Gazette file photo/Dave Sidaway)

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

Price won’t be ready to face Bruins, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Depth charge for Habs, Canadiens.com

Fractured thumb becomes a mental battle for Gorges, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Strombo says he can shelf his Habs love as host of HNIC (video), montrealgazette.com

New plans for HNIC have same-old feel about them, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Cherry not about to change his ways with Rogers, montrealgazette.com

Howie Meeker paved the way for Don Cherry, Stu on Sports blog

Vanek to Canadiens bad news for Bruins, Boston.com

NHL’s notable stretch-drive pickups (photo gallery), SI.com

Boston Bruins Ice Girls (photo gallery), SI.com

Patrick Roy clear frontrunner for NHL coach of the year, The Hockey News

Stars’ Peverley stable after collapsing on bench, NHL.com

GMs not inclined to make major changes to game, NHL.com

1,019 Comments

1. Phil C says:

Devils and Blue Jackets win, Flyers, Capitals, and Detroit lose. That tightens things up quite a bit in the wild card race. Hopefully the Habs can stay out of that mess with a few wins.

Did anyone see a hit the Princess laid on JVR? THAT was priceless. Took him right out of the game.

3. bardya says:

Phaneuf just nailed JVR. He left the game.

5-1 sharks.
    Almost 6.

4. habzfan2003 says:

@ UCE: That website is formidable!? Thank you so much. You are a scholar and a gentleman sir. Now all I have do is learn french ;)

5. Storm Man says:

Yup MT is a joke

6. jols says:

Shots are 28-7 for the Sharks.
    Score is 4-1 Sharks.
    Game is only half over.

7. GL says:

Sharks should win this one – Two days off – Toronto back to back games against two of the best teams in the west.

8. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe on players who leave a team and then return.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

9. GL says:

My final line combos:

Vanek Desharnais Pacioretty
    Galchenyuk Plekanec Gallagher (Scoring lines)

Eller Briere Gionta (Shut down line)
    Prust White Weise (Energy Line)

Spares: Moen Bourque Parros

10. habzfan2003 says:

Now a goal that should have been disallowed!! OMG this is too ridiculous!

11. CJ says:

Not a lot of information regarding Tim Bozon. I truly hope that this turns positive, very soon. My thoughts and prays reside with the young man and his family. I can’t imagine the anguish a parent must feel being so helpless. If only for a minute, keep this young man in your heart. Best wishes, CJ

12. habzfan2003 says:

Another ridiculous call benefiting the Leafs!

The ridiculous called off icing that the refs completely botched allowing the leafs to change late in the Ducks game last night as the faceoff was taken at center ice…

And a clear goal just then by Tommy Wingles… Makes me so angry… How can you get that one so wrong… Every day it’s a terrible call what a joke!

13. GL says:

To Date here are our weakest forwards:
    Moen, White, Bourque, Eller, Briere, Gionta (3rd and 4th Lines)

To Date here are our strongest forwards:
    Vanek, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Plekanec, Galchenyuk
    (1st and 2nd Lines)

Two teams I probably couldn’t be more indifferent to, Oilers and the Wild. But the hit which Cooke just put on Gagner is exactly the play I fail to understand. Gagner dumps the puck high from red line along boards, takes about 2 full strides and Cooke hits him hard along boards resulting in what appears to be a bad knee injury.

I don’t think this falls under Cooke the dirty player but rather Cooke the NHL’er. This hit is encouraged by all teams at all levels, yet it is interference, the player is vulnerable. I realize normally no injury results, but I fear Gagner probably damaged his MCL.

Okay looks like Gagner is fine, still don’t like the late rubout hit.

• CJ says:

Your point is valid. Maybe this is a stretch, but I think the modern equipment makes players today feel invincible.

Playing men’s league, the guys who are the most careless with their stick are those who often have a full mask. Not always of course, but certainly seems that way. Just my two cents…

15. Un Canadien errant says:

When HIO, including some of its more astute posters, fails to ‘get’ scrotchland, I fear all is lost.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• DipsyDoodler says:

Thus ain’t exactly the Algonquin round table, or hadn’t you noticed?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Well, you can’t help the charlie-8’s and the msrp741’s out there, but some of our regular friends, they’re missing out. I understand after a while, and an avalanche of nihilistic juvenile scribblings, you get jaded and can’t pay attention anymore, but the handle is a dead giveaway to what’s happening here. And it’s actually helping, I’m now seeing grammar and punctuation and attempts at explaining himself logically from the inspiration for scrotchland.

16. Habcouver says:

Back to the subject of Jinxing a team (Boone may be exonerated), TSN selects The Performer of the Game with 5 minutes left in the game. Fr the Minny-Oiler game, Jared Spurgeon is chosen for his excellent game (so far). A minute later, Spurgeon is on the ice for the Oiler’s tying goal! This TSN Jinx has happened on many occasions.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I always think, if it’s a close game, what if a player scores two quick goals, one on a breathtaking individual effort, and wins the game in the last minute(s) after another one has been designated as the Kwik-E-Mart Player of the Game, brought to you by ACME? Do they have a recount? Is the Florida Supreme Court involved somehow?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The only time I ever almost approved of a player-of-the-game award in any sport was one time when some team’s entire offensive line got it. (the “Hogs” maybe? or perhaps not quite as long ago….)

Usually grunts don’t get it. But without the grunts, the “skill” players can’t play.

• Habcouver says:

… and Oilers win in shootout.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

17. habzfan2003 says:

Hey folks, can anyone shed some light on this current dilemma I have:

Long story short I moved from Newfoundland to BC in September for work. We just experienced daylight savings. The Eastern Conference games were coming on at 5-5:30 so I could catch most of the 2nd and 3rd periods… As of last week… The game comes on 4-4:30 and I don’t get off work until 6:30… Devastating…

I’m curious if anyone has any info on NHL Gamecenter. I feel like if I order it and log on to watch the game when I get off work, the final score will be blatantly shown while I’m trying to start it and would basically ruin the game for me. Anyone know if that’s the case or would there be a way to start the replay and dodge the scoreboard? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

18. Ozmodiar says:

Pleks’ peak production was with cammy and akost, after kovalev was gone. By a point, but still….

I’m beginning to see why pleks’ offensive skills are underrated around here.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It’s not that his offensive skills are underrated, it’s that his defensive skills are needed so much more,on this team.. We don’t have a Dave Bolland.. DD sure as he’ll can’t play against top end talent, or Eller.. So having Plek in that role is best for the team.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Phil C says:

If we are going by what players did four years ago, Briere should be centering Vanek.

In the last two years, Plekanec has not looked like much of a play maker. He seems to shoot much more than he used to. As a result he is not getting as many assists in the last two years.

I assume he wants to get the puck deep, but he hasn’t been executing like an offensive player. Maybe that will change with Vanek, it is reasonable to give them a few more games, but there hasn’t been a glimmer of chemistry yet, so they can’t afford to wait too long.

19. Ozmodiar says:

/ mobile app non-reply reply.

@ Eire Mike, I think you hit the nail on the head, RE: pleks, Gio.

Thanks a million!

20. Mr_MacDougall says:

I’d resign Gionta for two years 7 million in a heartbeat.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I wouldn’t. He is not getting any better. Rather overpay Vanek.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Find a way to move Rene and do both.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• CJ says:

I wouldn’t either.

I think the team continues to transition. I wouldn’t be surprised if five guys are turned over this summer. Bouillion, Parrors, Bourque, Gionta and Murray all may not be back. Moen and Briere could also be on the move. Of course, anything is possible.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Especially if they do not go far in the playoffs. The thing to watch will be Eller and Pleks. Depending on how they do in the playoffs, one will be dealt this off season.

• CJ says:

I agree. This is not going to be popular, but IF, and I’ve purposely capitalized IF, this team either doesn’t make it, or performs poorly and loses in the first round, I’d except to see Pleks moved. At some point Chucky needs to get first line minutes at centre ice.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

This is not going to be popular either lol. But Galchenyuk is no where close to being a 1st line Centre. I know he gets limited ice time but when he does get on he does not really stand out to me at least. He is good. But is he AS good as some think?

• CJ says:

Fair point. How would we know though? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only game I recall him getting a chance to start at centre was against the Blues, in St. Louis. We lost 5-1 (something like that). He missed six weeks with an injury. However, even upon return it’s clear to me that he has the unique skill set and vision that few possess.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I would not. He’s been a good player and captain, gave everything he had, but no longer fits in the plan.

• scamorza says:

Less money maybe$5m over 2 years max and expect him to be on the 3rd line – a good player but his better days are behind him

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

There were five games tonight that had a direct impact on the Habs. Four have gone Montreal’s way. The only one left is the laff-Shark game. Thank goodness for small mercies.

• GGtheHab says:

since NYR and flyers are in a spot, wouldnt it have been better for them to win? we need seven teams to be unable to outpoint us..unless u are thinking of 2nd round seedings?
      edit…col has bumped philly…this is going to be a wild race to the finish

22. Ozmodiar says:

Pleks shut down opposing top lines in 2009-10, and put up a career high in points in the process.

/friendly reminder

23. Mavid says:

Vanek seems like a crab..or is it just me

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

He’s just indifferent…that’s all.

• Phil C says:

He seems a bit stressed out for sure. I was feeling some pity for him being in a hotel trying to keep three young kids entertained instead of in his own house. I wonder if the Habs are helping him with the transition?

• Max says:

He seems like a typical dour Slav.Austrian born but of Czech stock. I believe his Czech father was playing pro in Austria when he was born.Plekanec is another introspective dour Slav type.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I don’t get a particularly good vibe from him or the situation he’s in and can’t imagine his presence is a positive for the chemistry on the Habs. I get the sense he’s more into taking care of #1 than being passionate about winning the Cup with the Habs. Obviously he didn’t choose to be in Montreal now, and I’m sure most of the other players realize he’s a rental. Plus it puts a lot of pressure on everyone to try to make Vanek succeed immediately.

24. habcertain says:

I hope we don’t have to endure Vanek struggling with the Pleks line for much longer, if they are not clicking we need to move on quickly. If Pleks and Gio can’t be separated then they should be the shut down 3rd line / PKers / with moments of offensive spurts, that’s who they are. We can put a hired gunslinger on that line, he should be the guy who can kick start Chucky. The kids needs to progress offensively to wind up the year.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think that we’ve endured it terribly long; for the first game, Pleks was coming off playing something like 26 mintues the previous night, and the second game, everyone played badly.

A few more games (2-3) should be a better sample-size to make decisions from.

• CJ says:

Agreed. In fairness we need to give it a chance. If, by the end of week, there is no chemistry, I’d suggest changes will certainly occur. This process could happen quicker if we are getting beaten badly (shudder to think). Boston, Ottawa and Buffalo are all winnable games. It’s time for the team to bounce back following a tough road trip. Go Habs!

• scamorza says:

Agreed- sheesh 2 games, no practices – what no hat tricks yet!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Agreed. Enough with the juggling. Pick 2 scoring lines, one shut down line and one energy/responsible line. Even though I was initially against it, they should put Vanek with DD. He plays around the net so he should complement DD and Max (more perimeter sniper). Vanek was brought here to score so put him with the best set-up man. Vanek-Max should be the Habs version of Kessel-JVR (minus the d-baggery).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s quite scary, but I think I also would favour picking and sticking as far as the lines are concerned for the next 16 games.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think it is unrealistic to use Pleks as a shut down center and expect him to make Vanek productive at the same time. Very very few players are able to do both (e.g., Datsyuk).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sadly, the problem is probably Gionta. Although his shut-down capabilities are strong (probably his best feature at this stage in his career), if he were replaced by someone a little more versatile, it’s possible we might see more of Pleks channeling Datsyuk.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Toews.. Only all world guys produce while having the toughest matchup.. I agree.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Mike, when Plek was at his,peak production he was with Kovalev and constantly getting favourable scoring matchups and produced approx. 70 points.. He’s a 15 goal 45 point guy as a 3rd line centre with no PP time.. Those are fantastic numbers for a third line centre.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• CJ says:

I don’t think it’s the best choice either, but I must concede that the sample size is small. I’ve shared my opinion, as different as it might be. Thing is, if you aren’t prepared to break up the units (Pleks and Gio, DD and Max), than moving Vanek onto the Gio Pleks line seems like the easiest decision to make. Galley has chemistry with DD and Max, so, if only by default, throwing him with the 2nd line is the easiest thing to do.

The upside of course is the fact that the line will be responsible defensively. Of course, I also don’t think it will maximize Vanek’s offensive potential. Arguing stops tomorrow though. Then it’s time to get behind the team and cheer for a win.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks for the info, MacD.
            And good night to you and all.

25. JUST ME says:

What is it with all those sad stories these days ? I did not know that they found the kid Traford from Saginaw and sure had no clue about what seems to be a tragic and sad story.

Been mostly away from HIO lately but can guess without reading that many comments that the mood must be party..esque !!!

Needed a moral booster but i won`t find it here but i do understand that anyway it`s rather a sombre time so …Tomorrow let win this one for Traford,Bozon,Everley and whoever needs and deserves it !

The club knows I am going to this game, they will win this sucker for sure!
    And besides, we had a practice! We will be just fine boys and girls! It’s only the Bruins, we skate like hell, they take penalties to slow us down, PK scores from the point!! Piece of cake! If we skate and not play their style of game, discipline! = 2 points.!

27. SlovakHab says:

Wow, Jagr scores another one.
    At 42, he is one of the NHL best point scorers. 24th before this game.

What a legend. I found a new respect for him.

Ian

I have a pair of Red A seats for the game March 18 versus Colorado. Feel free to pass on my email to anyone looking for a pair.

Thanks

Paul Antoniadis
    613.243.7050
    email: paul.antoniadis@gmail.com

29. Habcouver says:

How good of a goalie coach is Roland Melanson?
    He appeared to take the credit of improving former Nucks, Luongo and Schneider who I believe are legitimate starting goalies at any rate.
    He had the nerve of spouting off about Pricey’s digression before Stephan Waite arrived.
    I’m interested to hear what excuse Melanson is going to have for any demise of Lack, Markstrom and Erickson. I do not believe he is a great goalie coach and has been just fortunate to have good quality goalies to work with in the first place.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

30. Habcouver says:

If I missed something here, my apologies… but why has Beaulieu been banished to the minors? If anyone should play, NB should be up with the big team, and Cube should sit (or have been put on waivers). They both shoot left…. seems like a logical decision.

What is the deal?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Mattyleg says:

I think, if you read some of the posts on here, you’ll find that it’s because everyone is an idiot.

• Ian Cobb says:

Will the wife let you out for a cold one at Hurley’s tomorrow night Matty ?

• CJ says:

I don’t know that having a different opinion makes someone an idiot. I respect your opinion, even if we don’t see things the same way. Something to consider. Cheers, CJ

• Mattyleg says:

No, I meant that the posters were saying that everyone (coaches, MB, Molson, whoever!) was an idiot. Not that they were.

• Phil C says:

The idiot theory should not be dismissed…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Massively tempting to agree with Phil! (and of course NOT excluding my good self from that generalisation!)

That is, if we take “idiot” to mean people who speculate, theorise or make solid assertions on the basis of only a small portion of the actual information required! And no, catching every single episode of 24CH doesn’t cut it!

In other words, pretty much all of us.

• Habcouver says:

I took it your way, Matty (along with my response below).
            I just wish those in charge of our team would read our posts! Lols!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
            Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• scamorza says:

C’mon not everyone most but not everyone

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MT is not going to put 2 rookies from Hamilton in the line-up against the Bruins. Simple as that. If you want to debate Boullion versus Murray…that’s another story.

• Habcouver says:

I like Matty’s logic that everyone is an idiot :) … however, why do you figure MT would not take the risk of having 2 rookies in the line-up, knowing full well that both of them did play with the big club last year and part of this year? Other teams seem to transition their players in well (e.g. the Booins, forgive me for saying, managed to let Krug, Bartowski and Hamilton in the line up and make mistakes). Why not us?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• habcertain says:

ask MT, he is clearly holding back progress in the name of short term success, in other words coaching to hold his job this year.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I agree. One thing about MT that bothers me is that he sells himself as a great coach of young players. If you’re that sure of your abilities, then why not play Beaulieu or others (e.g. Pateryn) who clearly have more talent than Boullion and Murray (except hitting)? In the end, he’s as conservative as the rest…which is unfortunately the trend in the league.

• Mattyleg says:

I’ve never heard MT say that he is a great coach of young players.
            Have you?
            I think that maybe other people have said those things about him, but not he himself.

But maybe I’m wrong!

And you’re right, conservatism is the trend in the league. It’s all tied in with Big Business and its desire to cut risk. It sucks.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Does a drive for parity come into play also?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Nope. Upon second thought, you’re not wrong. I’m wrong. He has not openly said it but, IMO, he has implied it with his comments about his experiences with the young players in Pittsburgh.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah I think other people have said that about him, with reference to Pitts.
            I’m not sure if it’s necessarily true or not.
            PK says good things about him, and Gally plays well, as has Bourni…
            But he does tend to overprotect younger players I think.

• habcertain says:

you got to think that this would be MT’s last job in the pros, and only has this job because of the parlez, not the greatest circumstances to be a coach, sad reality. it is all on the line for him this year, with 1 year left on a contract. not so much about the Habs 2 or 3 years down the road.

31. Habcouver says:

Been looking at the 4-0 loss to SJ statistic far too long.
    Could we have a like a statute of limitations of say 24 hours for hab loss stats?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

32. naweed235 says:

I for one was always a big Gorges fan and never hopped on the “hate on Gorges train”. Love him or hate him, his absence has been pretty damn evident in the last couple of games.

I think that phrase you don’t know what you got till it’s gone may be applicable as it relates to Gorges.

I can’t say I am innocent for not having been critical, but perhaps my biggest frustration was the contract he was given. He has a big heart and sacrifices all he has when he is on the ice. He may lack size, offensive skillsets, but his contributions are being missed now.

He and that other kid from B.C. seem to be pretty valuable.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“They took all the trees
        And put ‘em in a tree museum.
        And they charged all the people
        A dollar and a half just to see ‘em!”

Cheers Burli!

33. Danno says:

We will need the Mother of all Boone Reverse Jinxes© to stand any chance tomorrow.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

34. Mattyleg says:

TSN is hilarious, and I was just reminded of yet another reason I dislike watching them:

They talk and talk and talk about all kinds of irrelevant nonsense and forget all about the game. Just then, one guy was yammering on about lord-knows-what, and the Wild scored.

“Oh, and they’ve scored! The Wild!”

Now that’s professionalism for ya!

I so hear you.
      I often have to watch streams from US networks like Fox where situations exactly like the one you describe are the norm rather than the comic exception.

“…drone drone drone that was in 2009 when he was still with the University of Southern North Dakota who, incidentally I believe, were coached at that time by the guy who lent the MON-tree-awl Canade i YENS Rick Chartraw a pair of kidney pads for an exhibition game at the Bismarck Bowl to raise funds for the local Lions Club chapter who sent a letter to Chartraw after expressing their …. oh he SCORES!”

Does a Habs win tomorrow cure much or most of what ails everyone here today?

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t remember people being so negative earlier on today.

Must be something in the night air… (spooky music)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

We are facing our first injury bug period of significance of the season. Thankfully we are getting some bodies back in the form of Prust. But our teams MVP is still out, time for the team to show they have some moxy.

• CJ says:

I agree with this Burly. Time for the boys to step up. I’m expecting a big game tomorrow night.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, and it didn’t help that it all happened when we were out west, playing some of the best teams in the league.

We’re home now and rested, and we’ve got a game ahead of us guaranteed to get our emotions flowing.

The Perfect Storm.

…actually, it would be more perfect if Price wasn’t injured.
            And Gorges was healthy.
            And Bourni.

but otherwise, The Perfect Storm (stormmaybecomprisedofelementswhichmakeitlessthanperfect)
            (Norefundswillbegiven)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’m more in a hurry for Bournival to return than Price.
            If Bournival were reunited with Pleks and Gio — with whom he played very well, as did they, consequently, — then Vanek could be liberated to form a line elsewhere. Many interesting possibilities.

• habcertain says:

the one guy not coming back IS the guy we require, Price’s absence clearly depicts the type of team we have, without the stellar goaltending we would be looking at lottery slots.

• scamorza says:

And from Budaj in particular he owns the bears… Goaltending is so much about what is between the eyes so as crappy as that San Jose goal was hopefully he can gain confidence knowing he has beaten the bruins often enough as a hab (remember when everyone thought MT was crazy to start him instead of price last time?) so another win ….well at least I hope ….. that is of course if he is starting!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You are probably right. Righter than I am, anyway.

Still, I’m going to hold to my counter-cultural view which is based not on discounting the exceptional value of Price but on confidence in Budaj who is a much better back-up than he looked sometimes on the trip.

So if I could wave a magic wand at just one player and restore him to full fitness, it would be Bournival because of the domino affect his positive presence would have on offense.

• GGtheHab says:

it is all the armchair coaches pairing Vanek with all the combos…we didnt get Crosby, we got Vanek..he will help the offense…and right or wrong, he will get more icetime with Plex than any other line so lets roll with it until proven wrong..we would not have beaten Sharks anyway…realize your limits..

• Dunboyne Mike says:

GG, are you offering optimum ice-time as a valid reason for playing Vanek with Pleks and Gio?
          Not trying to trap you! Really want to know! No one else dared to answer my plea below.
          (And the Sharks game — am I nuts or was it closer than the final scoreline suggests?)

• GGtheHab says:

I think it is just the way the coach is thinking..I actually like some of the suggestions of loading up two Offensive lines.. and without the bad first goal, and the let down after the early one in the third, Habs were in that game..and could have gotten a point in LA…we arent as bad as the mood here suggests…the leafs stole two OT wins they shouldnt have been in, and won while being outshot 44-23 and their fans are thinking cup…4 or 5 points will lighten it up I hope

• GGtheHab says:

p.s. I can live with him and Plex. but need an upgrade over Gio

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That’s pretty much how I felt about the whole west coast trip — put it in a big rant in the post-Sharks ALN (early in GMT, when ye were all still sleeping in EDT-1). Cheers.

Your PS. WIth some sadness I have to agree.

• scamorza says:

I agree well except for the second period, the first period started well except that crap goal really really hurt

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• GGtheHab says:

we can only hope…more depressing than the weather.. I really find it hard to stomach, nobody should have been surprised b the road trip…lets wait till the leafs are finished theirs, and we play out next three games and see where we sit…mood could be as sunny as today in Ontario..

• frontenac1 says:

Not me amigo. Every ting be irie mon!

36. CJ says:

Don’t know if I have the moxie to sit in front of the couch and cheer against teams for the next month, in hopes that Montreal can squeeze into the playoffs. I think it would be in everyone’s best interest, particularity my health, if the Canadiens took matters into their own hands and put together a nice little win streak. I don’t want to slide into the playoffs. I would love to see this team get healthy and start to roll.

Do I think the team is icing the best lineup, or do I agree with the pairings on defence or up front? No, I don’t. That said, they are still my team and I’m going to cheer them on. Despite knowing the boys could use the extra day off, I just wish they were back in action tonight. I can hardly wait till tomorrow night and Boston.

Cheers, CJ

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Subban is going to have to step it up defensively big time. Save the offense for the PP or if down in the third. Time to shut people down.

Well said, CJ.
      Even though we are a team with a definite ceiling, what makes it fun is when we start stringing some A-games together. Not even winning every one of them, but playing well, contesting, making the other guy work really hard if he want to beat us. When there is a sequence of misfirings, half-assed efforts and mysterious decisions, watching remains a loyal but often unrewarding activity. Hopefully some things start to click down the stretch. We shorten the leg-room and pack in more rows of seats on the band-wagon! GHG!

37. boing007 says:

Habs are 29th in the league five on five.

Richard R

• Mattyleg says:

You seem happy to share that stat with us.

• boing007 says:

No I’m not. Are you?

Richard R

I didn’t share it.

Yes you did!
            It takes TWO to share, Matty!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

People have a right to express their opinions without their motives being questioned…free speech.

Free speech. Heh heh.
            Thanks Captain America!

This is a discussion forum, and people can be questioned for posting things.
            Especially when their last bunch of comments have been negative.
            I was wondering if he was actually enjoying being so negative.

Thanks for getting involved though!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You’re welcome. If the site only had commentators like you, it would be boring. Instead of attacking people motives (which you don’t really know) and calling people names, maybe you should try making concise arguments instead. If this is too difficult for you, then I apologize for suggesting it.

Whatever, DDO.

I’m not sure why you’re defending this poster.
            Here are his previous posts:

“Playoffs? Habs might not make the playoffs if the continue to play inconsistent hockey.”
            “Pleks Gio and Bournival. A very good line. Gone. Dissolved. More tinkering. Why? Sure beats me”
            “I’m tired of seeing DD as the automatic choice to start a power play. What are his faceoff percentages on the power play? Below 500, I reckon.”

Negative, negative, negative. I assumed he was enjoying being negative. Was I wrong to assume that? Wouldn’t you assume that?

And I don’t call people names.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I just don’t interpret these criticisms as being negative…that’s all. If someone calls MT an idiot…that has a negative connotation. I don’t think boing’s comments fall in this class. If the facts are incorrect, then they should be justifiably rebuked.

• Mattyleg says:

Fair enough, I just get annoyed a bit when people dwell on those things and repeat them.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

At the risk of incurring a Major for 3rd man in, can I alert you guys to how distressing it is for everyone else when two non-Richard Heads get into it?!

No one is bothered — some are even entertained — when a RH and an otherwise sound poster square off.

But neither of you qualifies as a RH.

Makes us all start questioning who we are, who anyone is beneath the deceptive persona of their avatar, why we come here, what is the purpose of our little lives, will the universe eventually close in on itself after billennia of post-Big Bang expansion, and if so, what was there before Big Bang.

All very fascinating, of course, but there ARE in fact line changes to argue about for the Bruins game.

• Mark C says:

This is poorly stated and misleading. Habs are 29th in five on five goals FOR but 23rd in five on five goal differential.

38. Mattyleg says:

Oogh.
    Edm – Min, or NJ – Phi?

There’s a no-win situation for ya.

39. GL says:

Lot of concerns on here but it won’t help MT runs this team ….

40. Ron Torkelson says:

Any updates on Tim Bozon? Scouring the net but can’t seem to find anything.

41. Mavid says:

I am so torn. I bought tickets to see Phillip Phillips tomorrow night I am dying to see him and he is finally coming to Ottawa..but I will be missing one of my favorite games when we play the Bruins..thank god for smart phones at least I can check in..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

Solution?
      Move to Ireland.
      Then you can do both. Tomorrow, for example, wife and I are bringing magic-mad young son to see Derren Brown in Dublin. 8pm show.
      After we get home and everyone else goes to bed, I will watch Habs-Bruins.
      Simple. Come on over!

• habsfan0 says:

“Sea of Love” Phil Phillips?
      Phil(lip) is such a nice name he decided to use it twice.

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Terry Trafford and Tim Bozon

…very sad and troubling

43. kempie says:

Wow. Pretty grazy/crumpy in here today. (grumpy + crazy)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

There once was a poster called Kempie,
      Who noted how all here are crumpy.
      His comment, so fair,
      Should follow a prayer
      That we DON’T do much chasey and dumpy.

44. Dunboyne Mike says:

Very bummed about Murray (if out), and also bummed and mystified about Weise.

Not bummed at all about Budaj. Back-up needs to play in big games, not just leftovers. I think we get a big one from PB vs Boston.

Is Chris here tonight? Or someone calm like him who might offer a plausible, rational explanation for playing Vanek with Pleks and Gionta? All of us have given vent to our disdain from the vantage point of our armchairs, with most explanations implying that the coach has had not only a frontal lobotomy but a dorsal one also.

It’s fun, but there’s no way it’s true.

So — anyone?

(And I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy).

IF you’re cheering for other teams tonight they should be New Nersey, Carolina, Columbus, Pittsburgh and San Jose.

46. Habilis says:

OK, I’m officially worried about Price. Too much ambiguity and too little concrete info surrounds this whole thing. Not good at all.

Without Price, Vanek was/is an utter waste. I know all that matters is the playoffs, but we have all seen in that Price habitually starts slow after being off a while. I think this officially qualifies as a while. We need him back and playing like he can, not finding his game.

Not that it really matters, but Price is probably losing any shot he has at the Vezina right now as well. Cruddy. Could have been a very unique season for him as a goalie.

Still could be, of course. But he should just aim for the Conn Smythe at this point. :D

• habsfan0 says:

Habs’ management will now have a convenient excuse should the Habs miss the playoffs by a few points.
      “Well,we didn’t have Carey for almost 3 weeks,that’s what did us in.”

• crane says:

10 Prust
        11 Bork
        12 ?

Murray,Boullion, Weaver gone
        Gionta,Bierre,Moen,Parros gone

• habsfan0 says:

Are you suggesting Ted Nolan will be Habs coach next season?
          His French must be better than I thought.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Interesting roster, Crane. Cheers.
          If we dump both Murray and Parros, who becomes the deterrent-player against the goonier clubs? Maybe you don’t accept the whole deterrent theory – I for one am believing this season a little more than I used to.

47. Willy the bum says:

They should put Vanek up with Pacioretty and Desharnais and send back Gallagher to Eller and Galchenyuk. That way, they have at least two great offensive lines to produce.

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Vanek
    Brière – Plekanec – Gionta
    Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
    Prust – White – Weise

Switch up Brière and Prust if they want a shut-down line or another offensive one. And sit down Bourque because he is not an enthusiastic player no more; they should have traded him before the deadline when they had the chance.

48. stevieray says:

How much longer is MT gonna stick with Vanek on with Pleks and the human give away machine Gionta !!

Not much shown from them in the last 2 games but ….at least they have now had the Team Practice …so all is well

And Hemsky …has how many points in 2 games …without a team practice ….???..I just think he is so happy to be out of Edmonton

49. Danno says:

I just saw the highlights of last night’s epic meltdown by the Canucks. The best part was watching John Contort-a-Rella’s facial expressions after every Islanders’ goal. Torts, man of a thousand faces! LOL!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

50. Trollhunter says:

To quote what a non-Hab fan said to me today.
    Year after year you`re middle of the pack. Except for the year you drafted Galchenyuk. You never sign Elite talent unless they`re at the end of their careers. Probably because of taxes or the pressure of dealing with idiot fans. You sign guys that keep you average. Good luck with that cup run when you keep drafting 17th-25th and signing old timers.

I was tempted to raise the pimphand and let the five fingers chat with his face but realized he does have a point… Its gonna be tough for Bergevin to build a cup team. but what he`s done so far has been encouraging. It`ll be interesting to see how this plays out. One thing is for sure this team is in deep **** without Price.

51. boing007 says:

Richard R

52. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I am still surprised a forward or two were not moved out. Now there is a logjam at forward and it is not easy for MT to manage. Brian Burke is a blowhard but his 2 scoring line, 1 shutdown line and 1 energy line philosophy is best. If you look at the Bruins for example, it is clear who plays what role. On the Habs, Pleks is the shutdown center but also a scoring one too (???). Eller has no idea what he is supposed to be and his line-mates are a constant mix of scorers, defensive/energy type players. Briere, a top 6 scorer, is playing on the fourth line so that line gets ruined. Aside form the DD line, whose role is clear, everything is a mess. The constant juggling is going to have to end soon. MT should should follow the Burke line make-up. The three scoring line strategy is BS because scoring lines need playing time and offensive zone face-off opportunities. There is not enough for 3 lines to share. My suggestion would be:
    scoring line 1: DD-Max-Vanek
    scoring line 2: Gally-Eller-Chucky (Briere)
    shut down line: Pleks-Gionta-Bourque (Moen)
    energy line: White-Prust-Weise (Bournival)

If players do not perform, they are replaced by the players in brackets…no moving to other line BS. Know your role, play your role or sit. Enough with the experimentation already..time for the playoffs.

Scored some free box seats for the hitmen-lethbridge game tonight… taking my kiddo. Any Habs prospects playing on any of those teams? I don’t care much for junior league hockey, just hope wings are good.

54. boing007 says:

Is Weise still out of commission? Why isn’t he playing ot fourth line with White? People that were playing well suddenly disappear from this team for no apparent reason. It’s mind boggling. Is MT bipolar?

Richard R

55. scrotchland says:

What a pathetique team we have. loser coach who cant coach for beens. And Berjovin goes and gets vanik who will leave after the season. just a terrible move.
    They are killing elar who was a good player but coach has sucked the life out of him.

My kids daycare friends know more better then therian.

56. GL says:

they’ll be in a wildcard position after tomorrow night. when you bring a player in that can score and a very good play maker and put him on a defensive line that’ll tell ya what we have for a coach!!

Oh well its his job on the line and it won’t be too far down the road.

• GGtheHab says:

check the standings, use a calculator if necessary, but please tell me how they can be in WC position after tomorrow?

• GL says:

GGtheHab – I don’t need a calculator, you’re not smart enough to understand the new playoff system they put in place you should learn that first and get yourself a calculator!!

• GGtheHab says:

I understand it quite well, but until TB passes the Habs in points they will be in the WC spot and we will be in 3rd…TB doesnt play until Thursday so I fail to see how they can pass us tomorrow…furthermore, if they get two points, the the ROW comes into play, and we will still be ahead..good luck with the sharks tonight u leaf loving troll

57. habs001 says:

The Leafs have been poor on the D and that is why they would love to play an anemic offense like the Habs in the playoffs..Those games would be close but the Leafs odds would be much higher in getting that tie breaking or overtime goal AS they have more forwards that can score that goal.. Also they will have Boland back and what if Clarkson becomes the player he was in Jersey for the playoffs..The way it stands now this is a bad matchup for the Habs…

58. kingcammy says:

I’ll cut him slack wen he cuts his paycheck. If ur old u get paid like an old man. wtf is this team a nursing home?

59. Davey93 says:

So with Bouillon in tmrw, who’s scratched on d? Why sit out Murray or tinordi for a game like this?

60. Azriel says:

Therrien this, Therrien that…

Funny thing is, at the beginning of the season, everybody thought we would miss the playoffs. Everybody thought we were an average undersized team.

Might still be an average undersized team at present. But when I look at the standings, the only thing I see is we are in third with 6 points (Albeit two games more played) before the last spot.

Not too bad for a coach who doesn’t know his ass from his elbow.

• jlgib1019 says:

Average isn’t a great goal to strive for. Our lineup is top 8-10 in the east,Therrien or not. Especially when Price is on.

jr

• boing007 says:

That’s because the players still know how to win when they don’t play a nonstop grinding game.

Richard R

• Timo says:

Let me ask you this… just because I’ve been given “we finished second in the conference and only injuries prevented us going further in playoffs” BS all summer. If Habs finished second and only injuries prevented them beating the sens in the playoffs, why would anyone expect them to miss playoffs the following year?

• Azriel says:

Who said they didn’t beat the Sens because of injuries? Just curious here.

But to answer your question, all the journalists were saying they would be dog fighting for a playoff spot and most were saying they would miss the playoffs. So I don’t know.

It’s only my two cents anyway, I don’t particularly like Therrien myself.

61. thebonscott says:

So prust is back for a couple games until he is out again with upper body injury. Just get double shoulder surgery and come back next year, cause your not the same player.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• jlgib1019 says:

He had no protection last year and had to play the role of policeman,taking on guys 30lbs heavier along with his physical game. Obviously it took it’s toll

jr

• Mr. Biter says:

Posted he was playing hurt while at the Habs/ Jets game in November. Last guy off ice every shift when on the fly and not coming off fast, just looking hurt and in pain.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

62. kingcammy says:

How many of u can raise ur hand and tell me what Gionta brings to this team. Size? Gritt? Play making? Scoring? …

63. kingcammy says:

This therrien guy works in mysterious ways, I just can’t wait till it costs him his job!

64. kingcammy says:

Is it only me or anyone else lost their confidence in Budaj. I really don’t have a good feeling lately weneva he’s been starting

65. CHicoHab says:

I don’t even think Gio is top 9 material at this point. But because he’s captain he’d never get moved to 4th line.

66. CHicoHab says:

7 goals for on our 4 game road trip. Really 6. One was shoot out.

67. wjc says:

Trying to think of something negative to say, but they are taken.

wjc

68. jlgib1019 says:

So Frankie B AND Weaver are in the lineup vs. the B’s according to Canadiens.com. And no Parros or Weise either ? What did Weise do to get in the doghouse,and why not wait for Buffalo to field two smurfs on D. We are 2-0 vs a behaved B’s team with Parros. With this projected lineup and being 0-2 vs Habs,I think we’re going to see the B’s team we all hate

jr

69. habstrinifan says:

Last time Bouillion played any real hockey (for a stretch of games) and played WELL was with P.K. I remember distincly Therrien at a presser noting how well the CUBE (Therrien didnt call him the CUBE then… he called him the THOROughbred’s partner…. ok ok I threw that one in) played.

Of course Therrien didnt even give a nod to you know who. In fact he split up the pairing soon after and Bouillion went south.

Basically I am saying… with Gorges out I like this re-pairing. But I cant resist a dig at the juggler.
    Expect Bouillion and P.K. to play well in Boston. I think they actually like each other.

My names is Habstrinifan… and I approve this pairing!

There to all the guys who say I ‘hate Therrien’ … I am giving him THUMBS U…… no I can’t say it…… ok ok thumbs up!

70. johnnylarue says:

Mike ‘The Therrible’ Therrien needs to figure out whether he wants to keep tinkering with his forward lines for the rest of the season in endless pursuit of the fabled “balanced scoring threat’ we had last year, or whether to opt instead for the more traditional formation of two scoring lines + a designated shut down line (a la Pleky/Gio/Moen).

The way I sees it, too many of our scorers have gone completely cold this year for us to feasibly expect some magic combination to suddenly give us three effective scoring lines. 60+ games into the season, I just don’t see it happening, Vanek or no Vanek.

Hell, I’ll be patient and all that, but at the moment the Pleky line/third line tandem feels like Therrien is half-assing two things where he should be whole-assing one thing.

• Psycho29 says:

Wasn’t Mike “The Terrible” a tag team partner of Gilles “The Fish” Poisson?

• johnnylarue says:

Just *slightly* before my time, but I’ll take a pro-wrestling reference over just about anything, just about every time. ;)

• frontenac1 says:

I saw Gilles The Fish wrestle at the old Forum. The crowd would chant “Poisson,Poisson” and he would freak out and lose it. Mad Dog Vachon and Sweet Daddy Seekie were my favourite rasslers.

• Mr. Biter says:

Yes the Mad dog was a crowd pleaser till the tragic accident robed him of his leg.
          A close friend of mine ran a small wrestling circuit out of Winnipeg in the late 70’s and one of his wrestlers was telling the native population on Main Street in Winnipeg that Pro Wrestling was fake which we all know now is true, but in the old days, it was a big time offense to tell anyone that. AWA comes to town the wrestler in question gets a call from Verne Gagne that’s he’s taking on the mad dog in the opener. Woe be it to Chris Pepper as the Dog tore him from pillar to post and laid a horrific beating on him all the while telling him “So it’s fake Eh” “Keep your Fu#King mouth shut”. Broke some ribs, stitches, lost teeth.
          In the old days you never messed with “Kayfabe” the unwritten rule of pro wrestling.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• frontenac1 says:

Loved the old rasslin amigo. Can’t stand to even look at today’s garbage. Saludos!

• Phil C says:

I’d take a half-assed two lines scoring at this point. They haven’t had more than one line going at any given time all season. I really think the Gio-Pleks pairing is part of the problem. They get 1st or 2nd pairing minutes yet have very little offensive chemistry.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m with you, Phil.

Gionta still has a knack for scoring a timely goal every now and again, but that doesn’t make up for his otherwise significant drop-off in goal production. He and Pleky are flawless as a defensive duo, but Pleky’s playmaking side is kinda wasted on that line at the moment.

71. Psycho29 says:

not good news….
    Retweeted by Adam Proteau

Sunaya Sapurji‏ @sunayas ·2 mins
    Michigan State Police confirm car matching Saginaw Spirit player Terry Trafford’s containing an unidentified male body has been found in Saginaw township.

72. jols says:

Budaj has been great against the Bruins. Lets hope that trend continues. We need these 2 points.

Line combination are no surprise. Therrien has always been a boob, he still is a boob and will always be a boob. Vanek on a chip and chase line is simply wrong. He needs to be on a possession line that likes to keep the puck and utilizes quick give and go’s.

73. PeterD says:

Therrien continues to show he doesn’t understand how to get the most of the assets he has.

Vanek is a natural scorer and he should be with DD and Max…
    Gally should be back with Eller and Chuckie….
    and Briere should be with Plec and Gio where they have some proven chemistry.

It looks like MT is going to try and “improve” Vanek by making him more defensively responsible on the Plecs Gio line.

God help us all.

• wjc says:

Yea, shake up the effin team, give Toraski the start, bring up all the rookies at once….then scream bloody murder when your stupid idea’s don’t work out. Fire this, demote that, waive this, kick that, slap this, attack that………..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wjc