Price working out with his old junior team

careyweb

Carey Price has been spending the last month between his off-season home in Kelowna, B.C., and Washington State’s Tri-City area, where he played junior hockey with the Tri-City Americans. And he has been keeping in shape recently by practising with the Americans, the team he played with from age 16 to 19.

“These guys are pretty fun to skate with, and it’s giving me a bit more motivation,” Price told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs Saturday from Washington, where he’s spending some quality time with his fiancée, Angela, and her family.

“It’s not like I was here such a long time ago, either. I still know the general manager (Bob Tory) very well, and the head coach (Jim Hiller) was my assistant coach my rookie year here.”

“It’s special for our team, for him to come and skate with us,” Tory told Annie Fowler of the Tri-City Herald on Nov. 19, the day Price stunned the junior roster by suiting up for his first practice at their Toyota Centre rink. “It’s amazing how time flies. When Carey walked in here today, it was like he never left. With it being the 25th anniversary of the team, it means a lot to me that he would do this. He is proud that he was a Tri-City American.”

You can read Stubbs’s entire column on Price by clicking here.

In his Monday Morning QB column, Jack Todd writes that it’s time for NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to drop his scorched-earth approach, adding that the lockout is going to last precisely as long as it takes Bettman to understand that fundamental truth, to stop striking poses, get down to business – and make a deal.

You can read Todd’s column by clicking here.

Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News writes that it’s time for both sides to quit posturing and make a deal. You can read that column by clicking here.

NHLPA executive director Don Fehr maintains that a deal was close with the NHL last week before talks broke off. Read more by clicking here.

SI.com’s Stu Hackel asks “What next after CBA talks disaster?” and discusses the Fehr Factor in a column you can read by clicking here.

(Photo by Annie Fowler/Tri-City Herald)

How dare Damien Cox bring up in his article a point of view that can somehow be viewed as anti NHLPA! Someone have him taken out drawn and quartered! I must say the force is strong here with the PA.

On a sidenote, I generally don’t agree with Cox. But how is it that he is not allowed to even bring up the point he does?

2. tippytoes says:

Ithink Gally should be groomed to be a centre not winger…They have been lacking a big number one centre for approx. 20yrs and need him there. Period.

3. punkster says:

I think it’s only fair to provide counterpoint to the price article with a view as to what “that other guy” is doing to keep sharp.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• jols101 says:

Playing in the German Beer League by a look at that clip.

• Kfourn says:

You’re right he does make a good skating/standing advertisement board.

_______________________________________________________
      Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• Mustang says:

I really like the bigger ice surface.

4. Thurston says:

Rick Moffat ‏@RickMoffat
    #Canadiens GM Bergevin says he wants his top pick at #Habs camp not USA camp…if.

Rick Moffat ‏@RickMoffat
    #Habs GM hoping #NHL can drop puck New Years Eve.

• ed lopaz says:

No question Galchenyuk is worth a look.

I have believed since the draft he would make the Habs as a 2nd line left winger.

He has NHL talent and NHL work ethic,

• frontenac1 says:

Interesting. New Years eh? Hmmmmm.

• jols101 says:

The WJC is facing a real problem IF a new CBA is reached, especially Team Canada. As per WJC rules after the first games teams cannot bring up replacements period. NHL teams won’t care that their Prospects are playing at the WJC, they are going to expect them at training camp if a new CBA is reached.

Not a huge deal for team USA because Galchenyuk would be the only one that would have to leave. Team Russia would lose Yakapov and possibly Grigorenko. Team Canada could lose 7 to 8 players which would be devastating to the team and a national embarrassment. Team Canada would have to finish the Tourny with 14 players?

Of course this scenario only plays out if Fehr and Bettman can put their ego’s aside and hammer out a deal, so it will probably not happen. But there is a risk for all Teams.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I’m not sure it would be embarrassing since it just means that Canada has *that many* good prospects. It would really ruin the tournament however, and would certainly be unfair.

5. derfab says:

Season is over. Both sides have been ready to face the worst all along. There is not enough motivation because there is not enough need. Don’t waste your time guys.

Merry Christmas, see ya next year!

6. Maksimir says:

Any Google + users out there? If so – check out this group…

7. ed lopaz says:

lars eller put up 57 points in 70 games in the AHL – as a 20 year old, on a very bad 2009 Peoria team……as a center.

that same season, my man, PK, put up 53 points in 77 games as a 20 year old d-man.

Max put up 29 points in 37 games in the AHL as a 20 year old

Our AHL 20 year olds are good players – but they are still developing and they’re not ready for NHL yet

• commandant says:

Those guys had veterans around them and are clearly better prospects than the guys on the bulldogs…..

12 points in 20 games by Brendan Gallagher are pretty good numbers as the leading scorer on his team.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ed lopaz says:

Eller had no one worth mentioning as a “veteran”.

I agree that Eller, Max, and Subbie are much better then anything we have there now

• commandant says:

Pascal Pelletier was a 26 year old AHL veteran who was putting up .75 pts per game throughout his AHL career before leaving for the Swiss league. He had 41 points in only 55 games.

Yann Stastny was another long time AHL Veteran.

Do the Bulldogs have any of these type of players? Darryl Boyce maybe and nothing else.

Also not surprising is that Peoria team finished out of the playoffs.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Kooch7800 says:

All three players you named will be great assets to an NHL club and their stats look good.

I don’t get excited about AHL stats though cause some players just struggle going to the next stage. They are just what they are…stats in the AHL

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• jedimyrmidon says:

This edition of the Bulldogs team just has so many rookies… and considering that the D corps is almost entirely comprised of rookies makes things even more difficult. The rookie forwards are for the most part 4th and 5th rounders – they need to be given time to develop, mature and work on their game, i.e., more than 3 months.

I’m not disappointed in their performance yet. Doesn’t look good on paper, but it will take more time compared to the likes of Eller, Pacs and Subban who were all 1st or 2nd rounders on teams with more veteran presence especially on D.

8. Dunboyne Mike says:

First post in months. To be honest, the lockout’s been a godsend for me: insanely went back to full-time college while still working full-time (= pay fees, attend no lectures, do essays and exams without knowing anything. Come to think of it…). Last thing I needed was watching Habs games facing off after midnight here.

BUT! Just logged on now, saw the names in the headlines, saw Dryden weighing in…

Would KILL to see a game!

Give me Bob Cole! And Grapes and Ron! Give me Marchand! The Coyotes! Give me Cooperalls and the Glo-puck! ANYTHING!

Christmas provides various “wish” opportunities: stirring the pudding, pulling crackers, positioning yourself under the mistle- ok, not that one. Anyway, when those opportunities arise, you know what to do and what to make everybody else do (especially small kids).

Meanwhile, I hope the absence of hockey has at least maybe brought some unexpected positives into all your lives.

Cheers from Ireland.

9. Haborama says:

ok, so our junior prospects are good (except Thrower, who is terrible and Gally, who is awesome) but our AHL prospects are……….. different…….

Best case scenario: it’s all to blame on a rookie roster, and most AHL teams being stacked with NHL players……

Worst case scenario: our system is fundamentally flawed, our AHL prospects are terrible, our drafting is to blame, and Timmons has been lying to us……..

the truth, I think, is somewhere in between.

on that note let’s look at where we can get some players who actually just might play in the NHL one day…… THE 2013 NHL DRAFT!!!!!

Let’s take a poll: who do YOU (yes you) think is the 2013 prospect (apart from McKinnon or Jones) that will help us the most??

• New says:

It isn’t that bad. I think you’ll find that the new Habs brain bust is telling players and coaches exactly what they see in their players and how they want them to focus. The end result will be if they see you as a checking third or fourth line center then you will practice being one. If they see you playing NHL D on the right then you’ll move. The issue is of course whether they see you correctly or not. Most of the guys never make the NHL and the vast majority of those that do don’t play two full seasons, so they will say ‘Yes and thank you’ as appropriate.

Today should mark cancellation of the 526th game this season by Bettman. So it doesn’t really matter.

• commandant says:

20 year old AHLers almost never have AHL success, even in non-lockout years.

This isn’t something unique to this year, this is something that has occured with nearly every AHL team that was so full of rookies. It just isn’t a rookie’s league. Long time AHLers, guys like Alex Giroux, and Corey Locke, and Keith Aucoin, and others are the types who dominate the AHL.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• New says:

You are right. If you are 20 and would be successful in a development league then you shouldn’t really be there. Conversely just because you are 25 and leading your league in scoring doesn’t mean you are ready to play against 20-40 year olds who have played against a higher level for several years.

10. Hobie Hansen says:

So the Bulldogs have the fewest goals scored in the entire AHL.

Michael Bourinalval and Patrick Holland with a combined 4 goals need to start chipping in and get their butts moving!

• Habfan10912 says:

Offensively challenged for sure but maybe getting Louie L back in the lineup will help some. That said it seems that the better forward prospects are still in Jr. IMHO the club still needs another good draft to get some depth there. With a lot of 2′s in the next draft let’s hope Timmins is on his game, eh?

———————————–

• Hobie Hansen says:

Leblanc should help for sure as he was their best player early on in the season.

However, all these 1st year pro prospects that a lot of HIOers, myself included, claimed would take the Bulldogs from one of the weaker teams last season to one of the better ones this year, were sorely mistaken…

• commandant says:

I warned you guys all summer not to think that a bunch of 20 year olds (no matter how talented) were going to light up the AHL. It just isn’t a league for rookies putting up big numbers.

Not my fault that you didn’t listen ;)

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bripro says:

Funny Ben. I keep putting my ear up against the screen but I still can’t hear you. Sorry bud! Don’t take it personally.
            As for me, I heeded your summer advice (when I could hear you) and decided that until they’ve matured gaining experience and playing against an oder demographic, we shouldn’t expect miracles.

• shiram says:

I did not expect them to have so much troubles, I could live with a losing Bulldogs team if we could see diamonds shining trough the rough, but there’s been little to be enthused about.
            Maybe I have not been reading the right blogs…

• Habfan10912 says:

You sound like my wife Ben. “You didn’t listen.”. :)

• habstrinifan says:

Finally! Someone with enough honesty to admit that, like myself, he and many many other posters over-estimated (at least for now) the crop of prospects graduating to the Bulldogs.

I posted essentially the same yesterday and was promptly informed that since I hadnt seen as many of the Bulldogs’ games as presumably said poster did, I was wrong to offer an opinion.

• Cal says:

We can’t expect the Dogs to do much better with all the rookie D and rookie forwards. The AHL apprenticeship is all about getting better. It will take time, especially during a season where many AHL teams are stacked with players that would be in the NHL. There isn’t anyone on the Dogs right now that can help the Habs.

11. kempie says:

Don’t know if it’s been posted already but here’s a filthy little double dangle

12. AliHaba says:

Daniel Pribyl 19 8 +3
    Dalton Thrower 15 7 +9
    John Westin 27 3 -9
    Josiah Didier 12 2 E
    Colin Sullivan 14 0 E

13. Mustang says:

Did anyone else read Jack Todd’s column in the Gazette this morning? I was more or less with him for the first half then he went onto a pro-union, pro labour diatribe that just did not seem to make any sense. He was equating the NHLPA right to have labour negotiations to the ordinary guy’s right to strike, etc. I gave up reading the last part of his column.

Thanks for posting Steve, provides some context doesn’t it?

• commandant says:

Here’s my problem with Cox.

Cox rails against the selective history of only going back to 2005. Okay great lets look at the whole of history then.

So what does Cox do, he plays his own selective history of going back to 1995, and says…. “Their union forefathers, those who claimed they were looking out for the next generation, established the standards for mercy in this relationship.”

How about we go pre-Goodenow too. What happened in the Eagleson years? When the owners paid Mr. Eagleson under the table and raided player pensions, and signed agreements that denied the players the same free agency rights that Marvin Miller and Donald Fehr were getting for players in baseball at the time.

Isn’t Cox guilty of the same selective history that he is railing against?

Cox also forgets, there was no “salary floor” under the Goodenow years, the same as there was no salary cap. It wasn’t just the players who ran up contracts in those years, they did so with the full co-operation of ownership.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Good call, Commandant.

The whole ‘historical’ approach is pointless anyway. It uncritically accepts the premise that this negotiation SHOULD be about bloated egos looking to “teach a lesson” to the union or owners for past victories or defeats, etc. – rather than about cutting a fair deal for both sides and getting on with the game. The issue NOW is simply whether the players’ or owners’ position makes sense, now; not whether it makes sense as part of some grand strategy to get back at the union for perceived historic defeats. Cox has, sadly, swallowed the idea that this *should* be about the owners or players’ egos rather than about hockey.

• frontenac1 says:

Cox is a Pompous Git, who is better left ignored.

• ZepFan2 says:

“People forget the way it was, the way it went.”

Ted Lindsay says, “Go **** yourself, Cox!

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• wjc says:

wjc

• ZepFan2 says:

@WJC

“Ted Lindsay retired in 1962, that was 50 years ago. Different era, different players, different owners, different fans. Most of them long dead.”

Maybe you should look up Ted Lindsay.

Here, I’ll help you: “Although he ranks as one of if not THE greatest left wingers in hockey history, perhaps his off ice achievements are his greatest legacy. He, and Doug Harvey, organized a handful of players who were courageous enough to stand up and challenge team ownership and organize the first professional hockey player’s union, now known as the NHLPA.”

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

14. Ron says:

Games up to Dec 30th have been cancelled as per twitts.

That must be neat for the kids on Tri-City to have Price practise with them. It must especially be neat for the current TriCity goalie to have the opportunity to learn from an NHL goalie in such a setting.

Of course I am sure most members of that team would prefer it be Jaro who was helping them out. ;-)

• Chris says:

I think the kids would be happy with Halak, James Reimer or Craig Anderson. Getting points from a true NHL goaltender is a huge plus for young kids in junior hockey as the quality of goaltender coaching in junior hockey is very hit and miss.

In Tri-City’s case, they already get to work with team co-owner Olaf Kolzig, who knows a thing or two about goaltending, so it is an added bonus for them. :) The other kids get Stu Barnes, who had a 16 year playing career and has been working as an assistant coach with Dallas for the past few years.

• Hobie Hansen says:

It would be fun to watch Price play in a scrimmage or two during practice. If someone bumped him a defenseman on Tri-City would actually drop the gloves, unlike in Montreal.

16. commandant says:

Mike with his take on the lockout, from a casual fan’s perspective.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports