Price won’t play again in Senators series

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate Thursday in Brossard as they prepared to face the Ottawa Senators in Game 5 at the Bell Centre Thursday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and Carey Price wasn’t on the ice.

The Canadiens announced that Price will not return during the series against the Senators due to a lower-body injury suffered in Game 4. Peter Budaj will start in his place Thursday and Robert Mayer will be the backup. It will be the first playoff start of Budaj’s career.

The Canadiens, trailing the series 3-1, are facing elimination Thursday night.

“I am confident in Peter Budaj,” coach Michel Therrien said. “Every time we needed him, he performed well.”

Twenty-one players took part in the optional skate, including Mike Blunden and Michael Bournival, who spent this season with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs, posting 10-20-30 totals in 69 games to go along with a minus-3 and 26 penalty minutes. Therrien said that Blunden will take Brandon Prust’s spot in the lineup while Bournival will take part in the pregame warmup.

Captain Brian Gionta, who will have surgery on a torn left bicep muscle on Friday, is done for the season, while Ryan White and Prust are definitely out for Game 5 with upper-body injuries.

“I want to beat these guys”: Subban, by Pat Hickey

Hockey world adjusting to Subban as first black superstar, by Jack Todd

Tearful end to Gionta’s season, by Pat Hickey

Do Toronto media have anti-Habs bias? by Brendan Kelly

The voices of Habs hockey, by Brendan Kelly

Audio: The sounds of sadness from Game 4 OT goal

What’s your playoff superstition, by Denise Duguay

1. OK Go Mets Go

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

2. kalevine says:

I just wanna see a home win for the team before bowing out. That way at least they will have won 2/3 home games in the series and showed some fight. BUt it takes 60 minutes. The more new blood they get in, the more likely it will be to get those 60 minutes.

3. savethepuck says:

Comments removed

“They don’t hang Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

4. Maritime Ron says:

I’m having trouble buying into the doom and gloom.
    This is a great opportunity for the boys to shine and others to step to the plate and contribute.

Nets: Budaj had a 8-1-1 record this year with 2 win decisions at Boston and in his last full game against Toronto posted a nice win and .941 SP.
    He also showed he can handle a lot of shots when he allowed just 1 goal on 34 shots against Winnipeg in early April.

Forwards: What’s wrong with increasing Gallagher’s and Galchenyuk minutes from the present 13 range to +18?

We might be a little thin in the bottom 6, but we have some good vets and some new energy with a Dumont out there.

Time for some guys to step to the plate and score or help people score (DD-Max) and also time for our bottom 6 not to be content just checking, but also scoring a goal or 2 tonight.
    Time to separate the men from the boys.

5. Et le but says:

300 Spartans held off the Persian “god-King” Xerxes and his army of more than 300,000 soldiers for several days in the Battle of Thermopylae.

Anything and everything is possible… Go Habs Go!

6. nellis13 says:

Do you think Price cried in Therrien’s arms too?

7. johnnylarue says:

I’m surprised (impressed?) that no one has seized the opportunity to point out that “elite goalies don’t pull their groin in the playoffs.”

Anyway, I’m not expecting any miracles this time around–the odds being now comically stacked against us–but it goes without saying that the pressure is now squarely on the Sens.

And should the Habs pull off a victory tonight, that pressure will increase dramatically for games 6 + 7. So hey, anything’s possible! (To a point, anyway…)

8. HabFanSince72 says:

Has anyone noticed you just can’t get a good sandwich anywhere?

9. habsfan0 says:

Who has a better opportunity for coming back from a 1-3 deficit in their series? Habs or Leafs?

As long as Dion Phaneuf is on the Laffs’ roster, I say it’s definitely the Habs.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Normally, my automatic answer would be the Habs except they’re pretty much missing half the team (and very important players at that).

#1 goaltender, most physical defenseman, most dominant player for the last little while (Eller), heart and soul (Prust), the captain, main agitator (White); injured Pacioretty, Ryder.

10. Wintercount says:

Ain’t life a mystery.
    Former Bull Dennis Rodman tweets Kim Jong-Un.
    I’m calling on the the supreme leader of North Korea, or as I call him, ‘Kim,’ to do me a solid and cut Kenneth Bae loose.”

great seeing Eller skating again!

11. 100HABS says:

If Galchenyuk must play wing, play him with Pleks. Or play him with DD. He’s got so much potential being wasted right now, it just kills me.

Frankly, my preference would be to see him centering Gallagher and Pacioretty.

12. habs-fan-84 says:

Brendan Kelly could’ve used a lot better “evidence” of an anti habs bias on CBC than what he used.

Oh well.

• jedimyrmidon says:

If anything, his article just reinforces the fact there is anti-Habs bias.

So many of the comments are about the inevitability of bias in sports.

Oh, sure, they may claim it doesn’t affect sportscasters/the media as “professionals”, but they didn’t get to where they are without being fans, and having a Toronto-centric coverage almost certainly means their allegiance is towards the Leafs.

It just reinforces the idea that there is bias towards the Leafs, and thus also against the Habs.

13. commandant says:

Some hope for the believers

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

14. habsfan0 says:

If Carey Price isn’t going to play for the remainder of the series,what’s the harm in revealing the true nature of his injury rather than just referring to it as a “lower body injury”?

The team disclosed exactly what was wrong with Gionta when his season was over.Are they trying to protect CP in case the Habs advance to the 2nd round, or is there something more at play here?

• habs-fan-84 says:

It simply sounds like if the Habs are to make it to the second round, he may be good to go. Obviously it’s not season ending like Gionta’s injury is.

15. ont fan says:

Winning this series now, is like the golfer who hasn’t made a par in 12 holes but thinks, if he can birdie the last 6 holes he’ll still have a pretty good score. If we win this series with Budaj in net, i guess we can trade Eller, Prust, Gionta and Emellin along with Price. Lol. Stranger things have happened.

16. frontenac1 says:

@burly. With ya all the way amigo! Never say Die! Los Habs Para Siempre!

17. Les Canayens says:

I love CTV’s Randy Tieman, Brian Wilde and co., so when I moved to Toronto I naturally checked out the local CTV station for news/sports feed. At first it was all Toronto teams dominating the reporting then maybe a bit of other sports. But one time this baffoon Joe Tilley who thinks he’s funny with his “Sports..Cooooming up” schtick started his teams-other-than-Toronto reporting by saying “the hated Habs…”, I just switched the channel and never watched CTV Toronto again.

18. Fansincebirth says:

I’m not as worried about Price being out as I am with some of the others because Budaj is a pretty decent backup goalie.

We’re outta options so they either play their asses off with good -> great goaltending or it’s game over and we rejoice in the advances we made this year.

IF we win though, can’t wait to read the papers here (Ottawa) and listen to the excuses :)

19. Propwash says:

So, Price is injured. I guess some got what they wished for. I trust in Budaj to do a good job in his place, he’s been a really solid backup for the team.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

20. theflower says:

We had Saint Patrick and tonight we have Saint Peter!!! Let’s make a prayer this Saint can lead us to the promised land! Go Habs Go!!!

21. Arrow77 says:

I know it’s bad to have excuses but this team is no longer made of the same players it had when we thought it might do well.

We knew our defense wasn’t really physical enough. We still managed to lose our one physical d-men before the playoff.

We knew we were small in the middle. We lost our biggest center during the first game.

We lost Prust, we lost Gionta, Pacioretty is injured and now we’re losing Price. Winning tonight would be a miracle.

22. habs-hampton says:

I have to jump in here somment on the Toronto media ant-Habs article. Do your research! CBC DOES NOT AIR ALL HABS GAMES NATIONALLY ON SATURDAY. I live in New Brunswick (bi-lingual province ,right next to Quebec which has a HUGE Habs following). If you are a Rogers customer, you cannot get the Quebec CBC feed, so you have to watch the “National” game which is almost always the Leafs game. I gave up on CBC years ago and subscribe to RDS. Iam not bilingual, but Pierre Houde is much better to listen to than Bob Cole anyway. Cole was fine his day, but he didn’t know when to retire.

• Les Canayens says:

At least CBC stream it on their website.

• habs-hampton says:

it doesn’t compare to RDS in HD.

• Dust says:

switch to Bell you wont have an issue

• habs-hampton says:

you must either work for Bell or are a major shareholder. I switched AWAY from Bell years ago cause their service sucks, their Internet dropped several times each day, and they were way over-priced.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I never have a problem either Bell satellite or internet, and I get the Montreal TV stations. Maybe they’ve improved in your area too? But yes, it is overpriced.

• bel33 says:

I have Bell Fibe for both TV and internet…. sure the odd issue… but overall great services… and RDS in HD. Although I didn’t suscribe for the short season… big mistake.

• Dust says:

Dont work for me them but i like the way there tv is better than rogers. With bell having Fibe now(not in all areas yet) it has improved their internet greatly to be on par with Rogers.
            Regardless, both Bell and Rogers are overpriced and take you to the cleaners.

• Cal says:

Bingo. Well said and very true about Cole.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I remember back in the late 80’s early 90’s they’d have 2 games televised. Everything west of Quebec got the Leafs game and everything east of Quebec got the Habs. Why did they stop doing that I wonder. I’m praying that TSN puts in a good bid for the NHL rights and CBC loses it. They seem to be getting worse every year I mean they couldn’t have gotten anyone better to do their intermission shows than Stock?

• Dust says:

Id rather watch on CBC than RDS. The presentation is much better

• Cal says:

I don’t know, Dust. You can dress up shit all you want, but it’s still shit.

• Habsrule1 says:

Wow….first time I hear anyone say that.
        RDS is MILES ahead of the CBC in EVERY way.

But to each his own.

Go Habs Go!!

23. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’ve watched a lot of hockey in the last 55 years. Danny Gallivan is the only commentator I know of that got just as excited by a good goal regardless of who scored. If anything, I believe Bob Cole overcompensates in case anyone thinks he might favour the Habs. He does get more excited when the Montreal opponents do well and is more likely to be more deadpan with Montreal success. Systemic stuff like that is beyond a person’s control, however. Just like CBC reporters can’t help but favour Liberals over Conservatives. Just my take on things. It doesn’t make me want to change the channel. Well not much anyway.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• Habsrule1 says:

Being the same for both is very good if it’s a national feed. Local radio should be biased for the local team but still have some excitement in their voice when the other team scores, just not as much lol

Go Habs Go!!

24. lavie says:

Don’t want to watch any games with Carey Price between the pipes.

Price is only a mediocre goalie in NHL but being assumed to be a $6M player. I know it’s not his fault, but my love and “hate” are over on Carey Price.

Carey Price sucks! Carey Price will be another Rick DiPietro!

• Cal says:

Better start looking for another team to watch, then, because Price is in Montreal for the long haul.

• Luke says:

DiPietro comparison?

C’mon you could have done better than that.
      How about a Blaine Lacher or Raycroft?

Reckon you won’t be watching the Canadian Olympic team then…

• Arrow77 says:

The one thing that really hurt DiPietro was his lack of durability. That’s the one thing Price could never be accused of.

• Hockey Inside/Out encourages lively debate, but there is a zero-tolerance policy regarding racism, profanity and behaviour that we deem to be offensive.
      We will, without warning, ban those who do not abide by this simple rule, so as to maximize the enjoyment of readers and participants of both sexes and all ages..

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• jphk says:

Very strange Bad words are censored but shallow opinions are allowed

• Ron says:

Afraid so jp, as long as they meet the rules on the right they are allowed. Negative opinions no matter how annoying they are do not break the HIO format. Language is but shallow opinions are allowed as free speech. We may not like them but there legal. Take Shanes advise and smile and wave.

• Habsrule1 says:

Wow…troll much?

Go Habs Go!!

• Peajay says:

For people who keep pointing at numbers, here are a couple.
      Craig Anderson career save percentage: .915
      Carey Price career save percentage: .915.
      Anybody can get hot for a while. And anybody can be hobbled by nagging injuries. Anybody can look good behind a solid, experienced, well-rested defense. And anybody

• Peajay says:

For those of who have stressed raw numbers, here are a couple: Craig Anderson career save percentage: .915 Carey Price career save percentage: .915.
      Anybody can get hot for a while. And anybody can be hobbled by nagging injuries. Anybody can look good behind an experienced, well-rested defense. And anybody can struggle behind a defense playing on fumes and enthusiasm.

25. Bill says:

Well, go Budaj and the Habs. Won’t be able to watch tonight but hoping for a win at home as at least a moral victory.

It really is one game at a time. Budaj has won way more than he’s lost and I do like the way the Habs play in front of him. Of course, we will be missing a lot of Habs tonight, haha.

26. mark-ID says:

Blunden in tonight….as per Renaud Levoie

27. From the links up top: “Do Toronto media have anti-Habs bias? by Brendan Kelly”

Also, check out “Is water wet, fire hot?, by I.B. Obvious”

28. La Duke 16 says:

Looks like we are rolling 3 lines tonight – unless we get a big early lead.

Pac needs a big night! It will be interesting to hear what his injury is that he has been playing with after the season.

Gallagher is going to flying tonight – he is a fun kid to watch!! I predict 2 goals and an assist for this spark plug.

29. commandant says:

It wouldn’t really surprise me if it comes out that Price has been playing at less than 100% with that groin for a while.

He had issues with it all the way back to the intersquad game in January and came up looking hurt a few times this year.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Kooch7800 says:

I hope he comes back strong next year. We will need him and even more so if we don’t upgrade some of our current D.

I watched the St Louis vs LA game last night. I am not sure any team in the east could hold up against either of those teams.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• I was thinking of the same thing. CP was being bother with some type of injury for sometime now. IMHO he has either a mild groin or hamstring? Should fine out after season is over.

30. Gerry H says:

All I want is a win tonight.

…but this could be the start of a great story.

Wish Budaj the best tonight, hopefully the injection of others into the lineup brings some energy to the team. Beware the wounded animal…Haven’t lost hope yet!

GO HABS GO!

32. ffenliv says:

This is the same thing as saying Price won’t play again in the playoffs.

If The Budaj-Habs manage to win the series, they’re not about to take a 3-0 goalie out of the net to put a 1-3, recently injured goalie back in.

33. jphk says:

This team is not losing that game

34. sprague cleghorn says:

Hey Trini, looks like you’re getting your wish, Bournival skated with the regulars this morning.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

35. Fansincebirth says:

In Budaj we Trust! (like we have a choice?) :)

36. C-Sword says:

Please. give the youth a chance! I want Bournival in the line-up, I’ve seen a few matches of his with the Dogs, he can make something happen, more ice time for Galchenyuk as well, he should play on the power-play instead of DD.

37. Cal says:

Let’s try to enjoy what is left of the Habs season, shall we? I’d love this thing to go seven, though!

38. HFX-HabFan says:

If I’m Therrien, I dress 7 D tonight. Put Drewiske back in there- we could use some more size on D, and Markov, Diaz and even Gorges could stand to be spelled some even-strength minutes.

17-14-73
    67-51-11
    32-24-20
    27-37

79-76
    26-61
    55-42

(sorry to go all MacLean with the number thing)

39. Alex_425 says:

Oooooh me oh my, the Price bashing that will occur if Budaj HAPPENS to extend this series past tonight will be well and truly prolific.

But I’m no expert….

• Mustang says:

Wishing Budaj success does not mean bashing Price, at least for me. I continue to support the Habs and now hope that Budaj can put up a series of wins.

40. The Dude says:

Price was as consistant as a back-up tender in this series ergo no difference playing the back-up tender….Go Habs Go!

41. ebk says:

double post,oops

42. and the Story keeps getting better!

Budaj is a good goalie and will have no problem filling in.

The ,main players have to score, that’s the only way. It’s great that PK and Galchenyuk chipped in last game, but tonight the men who play top six need to score…….

Sens will come thinking they already won, they are done tonight!

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

43. jphk says:

Now is the time to summon the Montreal Forum ghosts! Now is the time for the spirits of the fallen Nordiques (yes, that’s you John Garrett) to come to the rescue and to deliver a few miraculous performances, if only to make the Walrus wailed and whined to a game 7…

44. commandant says:

Son of a …..

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

45. Skip Davidson says:

The Price controversy will carry on for at least another year. Unless he gets back in if the Canadiens come back against the Sens.

He had two good games in the series, one poor and one mediocre game.

But one could also argue that there were a lot of injures and the defense in front of him is not very good.

Price gets a pass and a chance to shut his doubters up completely with a great season with an improved defense in front of him next year. IMO.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think the only controversy continues to be in a small minority of Habs fans. I don’t think the organization sees any controversy.

• Kooch7800 says:

This team needs help on D to get through the next couple seasons. I am weary of Markov playing that many minutes in an 82 game sched plus playoffs. They need to bring some D to get the habs through until Tinordi, Nathan B are ready to do.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

46. Thomas Le Fan says:

Priceless. Well, some here are about to get their wish. I hope they turn out to be right. Our goaltender is Peter Budaj and I will support him. Go Habs!

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

47. Ron Torkelson says:

Long-time lurker, newbie poster. Big fan of the site!

GO HABS GO!!

48. nickster13 says:

Habs in 7! I would love nothing more than to shut the critics up.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

49. arcosenate says:

Budaj means “3 game winning streak” in Slovak.

50. Small_Town_Boy says:

Keep your chin up Carey & thanks. Not all your fault, you play on a TEAM.

See you in September!

Dat’s wha me tinks

51. jon514 says:

I think the team will show up for Budaj tonight. FOR SLOVAKIA!

52. Skip Davidson says:

The boys have to play big tonight. I think the loss of Prust is much more significant that that of Gionta!

Prust is the real captain IMO.

53. Strummer says:

Bujaj three starts in a row!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”