Price wins Jean Béliveau Trophy for charity and community work

After making 31 saves in a 3-1 win over the Blackhawks Wednesday night in Chicago, Canadiens goaltender Carey Price was honoured by the team on Thursday when it was announced he is the recipient of the Jean Béliveau Trophy for the 2013-14 season for his charity work and community involvement.

Price will be honoured during a ceremony before Saturday’s final preseason game against the Ottawa Senators at the Bell Centre. The two teams will also meet Friday night in Ottawa.

Price and his wife, Angela, are both involved in charity and community work. Price sponsors a Stick with School program, donating a pair of tickets to a different child and mentor to attend each game at the Bell Centre. He is also involved with various charities in his home province of British Columbia and acts as Ambassador to First Nations kids with the Breakfast Club of Canada.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Price shuts door on Blackhawks, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Price provides security blanket for Habs, by Pat Hickey

Carey and the kids, Canadiens.com

Bob Gainey quietly joins Blues as consultant, Stu on Sports blog

1. YEAH says:

Boulion, Thomas and Tokarski should be next to go.

2. shiram says:

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA

Montreal @CanadiensMTL had contract talks w/ Drayson Bowman. they fell through. He has been released from his PTO.

3. Sportfan says:

My LWOS why the Jays failed this season, I mean review 😛

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

I never thought I’d say this but I am agreeing with AB. Maybe it is he that is agreeing with me. At any rate and surprisingly, we are seeing eye to eye.

This goes back to things that many here (myself included) have been mentioning about puck possession versus dump and chase, about playing an up tempo aggressive fore-check game versus a defensive shell grind it out in the corners and along the boards one.

At any rate, as many have been saying concerning Tinordi, and a while back in re McCarron… patience is a virtue. GMMB even hinted at the Habs taking a step back this season to take a few more steps forward next.

My concern with the team is that they are going to be dominated in play, have a difficult time buying scoring chances (yes not burying) let alone goals and will end up requiring Price to be playing in Super Halak mode all season (and by that I mean I fear the New System MT is using is actually the Old System JM imposed way back when).

I know it’s early but I am not slotting the Habs as a contender for the Cup quite yet. I think they will be hard pressed to make the top 10 over all and will more than likely finish 11th.

My view is that the difference for this team finishing in the top 5 or outside the top 10 will be determined by how much offence they can generate. They should regardless of possession stats be a top team in the goals against category. It’s the goals for that will be the challenge. That and of course the power play, which is still looking anaemic.

• Paz says:

Ouch! No freakin way.

Give me Price, Subban, Markov, Pacioretty, and I can get you to the playoffs coaching this team.

• Hobie says:

I believe he means top 10 in the entire NHL? Not making the playoffs?

I’ve been worried about the Habs scoring goals in the the past. I don’t feel that with this team.

I think Parrenteau is going to be good on the top line with Pacioretty and Desharnais. I also think Sekac will push for 20 goals. We’ll have a talented third line as well with Eller and Bourque.

I think the Habs have a pretty good team, in the Eastern Conference.

• HardHabits says:

I think the Habs have a very good team. My point is, that their success depends on the style of play or system the coaching staff imposes on the players.

5. B says:

Tinordi, Dietz, Bouillon

Price
    Budaj, Tokarski

–Go Habs Go!–

6. Mattyleg says:

Amanda Stein ‏@amandacstein 8m8 minutes ago

With Drewiske and Dumont on waivers, Habs also assign Pateryn, Andrighetto and Dowell to Hamilton. #HabsOn690

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• johnnylarue says:

I will personally give each and every HIO member ONE free* Chicken McNugget if Davis Drewiske is claimed by another team. (*Shipping and handling not included.)

(Also, I’m friends with Amanda’s sister. Tra la la!)

Players are starting to get claimed, Minnesota claimed Nate Prosser from the St. Louis Blues.

8. Hobie says:

Pateryn sent down!

9. Hobie says:

A bit surprised the Habs just put Drewiske on waivers. The next announcement better be that Bouillon is going home.

10. SmartDog says:

Marinaro is droning on all morning about how Drewiske should be the 7th D and Tokarski should be the back-up. He keeps saying these things are obvious and no-one has given him reason to think otherwise.

Here are some reasons:
    1. Pateryn and Tinordi are not going to get better in Hamilton. Neither looks better today than they did a year ago. In fact Tinordi looks worse. Guys can die on the vine. They need to be with the big club to learn and get better. Will they make mistakes. Sure. That’s called learning.
    2. Budaj has been a great back-up for Price. We don’t know what kind of back-up Tokarski will be – and if it ain’t broke, why fix it? In Hamilton Tokarski will see a lot of rubber, while up with the big club he’ll sit 90% of the time. Starting Tokarski in Hamilton doesn’t mean that he finishes there and if you can trade Budaj for something of value at the right time (when a goalie goes down long term for another team for example), that would be great. But why do that now? I don’t see it.

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

Morning SD, two threads back Chris wrote an excellent synopsis of Tinordi and the time it takes to develop a big defenceman like Tiny. I am not sure if you saw it, but I would encourage you to read it, it answers very succinctly why Tinordi staring the season in Hamilton can make a great deal of sense.

• HardHabits says:

Marinaro would do himself a favour and frequent these pages like a lot of other sports writers do. I have noticed on numerous occasions conclusions ripped from debates or comments posted here appearing in journalists assessments and prognostications of the team.

You can really tell when a sportscaster or writer is disconnected from the rational view and still clings to the emotional and sensationalist.

Brian Wilde comes to mind as somebody who could spend more time here too.

Reading Eric Engels column today, it is a good piece, but I swear he has been hanging out here!

• Mattyleg says:

McGuire obviously comes here.

How else would he know that Andrighetto’s grandfather has a Swedish Civil War sabre collection that he takes out every Swedish Thanksgiving and challenges his sons to duels, if he hadn’t read my post about my holiday last October??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs-fan-84 says:

Any goalie can catch lightning in a bottle over a short time span. This rush to anoint Tokarski as the backup after 5 playoff games is misguided imo.

• Mattyleg says:

I asked about this on the other thread, and I was given very good reasons as to why Drewiske should be #7:

The #7 D-man only gets spot-duty. He sits in the press-box most of the time, practices with the team, is a good team-mate, and steps in for short-term injuries/illnesses.

Drewiske has developed as far as he’s going to. Sitting in the press-box won’t hurt his development. Any of the youngsters would be taking a step back, sitting up there every game.

There is a good chance that Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn will get called up to leapfrog him if there is a long-term assignment.

Sounds like it makes sense to me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

There is no deadline for Tinordi or Pateryn to make the Habs. If he dies on the vine, he can thank his nervousness and all this self-imposed pressure he’s put on himself.
      Right now Tokarski> Budaj and he’s 700K + cheaper.

11. Paz says:

Watching Beaulieu score that goal last night I couldn’t help but wonder how effective Subban could also be if he joined the rush more often.

I read somewhere that Subban took less than 10 shos last year within 20 feet of the net.

5 on 5 offence is not one of this team’s great strengths.

One of the best ways to score more 5 on 5 goals is by having your offensive dmen join the attack on a quick transition, catching an opposing forward locked deep behind the play.

Make it so Therrien. Make it so.

• shiram says:

Markov seems to do it also, but Subban is watched very closely so maybe it’s not as easy for him to slip past the defense, and into the slot.

• bwoar says:

A certain out-of-the-penalty box breakaway goal he scored comes to mind immediately.

For some reason I’m having a hard time picturing Beaulieu getting to PK’s level, but if he comes close…. we’ll have a Very Good Thing going.

12. Sportfan says:

For those who know and dislke sports reporter Steve Simmons of the toronto sun here’s something that made me laugh.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. Luke says:

Here’s Grantland’s NHL Preview for all four groups…

Bottom Feeders, Middle of the Pack, No-Clue & Contenders.

14. bwoar says:

Price’s Breakfast Club work is absolutely terrific. Good on him for being recognized.

Did anyone else watching last night think that Pierre Houde’s been to a few extra BBQs this summer than usual? I caught him and Denis trying to pry something out of MB between periods and couldn’t help but notice.

(Gawd, not much to talk about today!)

• Luke says:

Yah, sure, but is it better than John Hughes’ Breakfast Club?

• bwoar says:

Eh… John Hughes? It’s Weird Science or GTFO. I can’t be the only one who thinks JH gets too much credit.

Also, I love me some good breakfast. Breakfast is the only meal I eat some days. Even if I eat it twice.

• shiram says:

Heh Breakfast Club was not horrible, but it could be nostalgia spinning it into something better than it actually was.

And yeah Weird Science rocks, but a shout out to Ferris Bueller’s day off, which was pretty cool also.

• bwoar says:

Agreed, I can’t hate on Ferris Bueller. He’s a righteous dude. Not quite as cool as Peter Budaj though.

15. GrimJim says:

I think the HIO show thread might have been the shortest ever…

16. RetroMikey says:

Finally, I feel good about this team with adding more grit to the team in Gilbert on D and Maholtra upfront. WOuld love to add another offensive player up front.

I hope Pateryn makes it since he played so well in Hamilton last season..

And bravo to Price, congrats!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

17. RetroMikey says:

Hi Matty

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

18. Mattyleg says:

Hi.
    Hi there.
    Welcome to the new thread.
    Please, stay a while.

*stirs coffee and smiles invitingly/disturbingly*

—Hope Springs Eternal—