Price will start for Canada against Latvia; Subban a healthy scratch

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price will get the start in Wednesday’s Olympic quarterfinal game against Latvia, while Habs defenceman P.K. Subban will be a healthy scratch for the third time in four games.

Forward Martin St. Louis will return to the Team Canada lineup, while Matt Duchene will be a healthy scratch.

Latvia beat Switzerland 3-1 Tuesday in a playoff qualification game to advance to the quarterfinals. In other playoff qualification games Tuesday, Canadiens defencemen Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin were both plus-2 as Russia beat Norway 4-0, and Habs forwad Tomas Plekanec had a goal and an assist as the Czech Republic beat Slovakia 5-3.

The Canadiens players who aren’t in Sochi will see their Olympic vacation come to an end on Wednesday when they hit the ice in Brossard for a scheduled 2 p.m. practice.

Mike Boone will be blogging live during Canada’s quarterfinal game along with other hockey writers from Postmedia News. Check HI/O around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday to get a link to the live blog.

This week’s HI/O Show, with Chris Nilan and Boone as the guests joining sports editor/host Stu Cowan, will be taped on Thursday morning and be available online around 5 p.m. that day focusing on Team Canada. If you have any questions you would like answered on the show, post them in the comments below or email Cowan at scowan@montrealgazette.com and we will take them into consideration.

Here’s the projected Team Canada lineup against Latvia from The Canadian Press:

Jay Bouwmeester – Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Hamhuis

GOALIES
Carey Price – Roberto Luongo

SCRATCHES
Matt Duchene – P.K. Subban – Mike Smith

(Photo by Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press)

Price gets start, St. Louis returns to lineup, Postmedia News

Video lookahead to Canada vs. Latvia, Postmedia News

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

Hamilton’s Big Three developing on blue line for Habs, by Brenda Branswell

1. Strummer says:

Buffet of high-level sports tomorrow-
    Canada-Latvia @ noon
    Bayern- Arsenal @ 2:45

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

2. The Jackal says:

Much talk about PK not playing much.
    Sure, we all want him to play and have a big impact, but look at the roster, it’s ridiculously stacked. You can honestly justify any player on that roster playing over PK, for reasons other than just pure talent.

I know many folks here like to overlook those good reasons, and as Habs fans it is very tempting to do so, but it is slightly arrogant (and for those asking for MT to be fired and for Babcock to be brought in somehow, very hypocritical) to second-guess the coaching staff on the player selection they think will perform best as a team and give Canada the best chance to win. I don’t doubt that PK is fully capable of contributing to that goal, but if the coaches opt to sit him, then that’s their choice, and with that staff it is quite foolish to actually doubt that.

I’m big fan of PK, and I when the contract holdout was ongoing, there was an argument here on whether or not he is elite, and I made the case that he was, while others – for whatever reasons – said he was not quite there yet. Some of the latter group are now bellyaching about how PK is siting despite him being so great. I stand by PK being elite and one of the best D in the league, but many HIO posters are putting him on a pedestal.

PK is an electrifying player and he is one of the best things to happen to the Habs in recent memory, but despite all his talent and excellent skating, PK still has a couple of warts to his game that seem to be ignored for some reason. For one, he tends to try too hard and overcomplicate things at times, even if that is him trying to win a game or change the tides, it still tends to create many turnovers and he ends up playing frazzled. Another thing is that PK plays a very emotional game and can get carried away in the moment, leading to poor decisions. These may seem like minor flaws, and they are, but they remain things PK must work on. People hate to hear that PK still has room for improvement, as if that were some kind of criticism – it’s actually a compliment, as PK can and will be even better than he is now. But this is relevant to the Olympic roster because the coaches may prefer a more stable backend with experienced guys that may not be as dynamic as PK but are more cerebral rather than fiery. And again, that is not a knock on PK, and you can call it playing it safe, but in a one game elimination tournament it makes a lot of sense to play it safe with your D.

All this aside, it still stings to see Hamhuis in other than PK, but Hamhuis is not playing much at all, and he is an insurance policy for the left side. Like it or not, it also makes a lot of sense to have even amount of L and R in the D, specially L because it is easier for them to adjust and play the right side rather than the former. Again, PK can probably handle the left side but why risk it when you have a perfectly good alternative?

I still think that PK will ultimately draw in as the 7th guy, as Canada has had trouble scoring and they may want PK there in the end, but still, it’s time to respect the coaching decisions. PK is getting great experience from this and will be a much better player from it. It makes no sense to question the decision or to wish for Doughty to get hurt. I wish PK was playing more, but in the end, it is a justifiable decision and what matters is that we win Gold. As much as I love PK, having him in over Hamhuis is not really going to change much on that front.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• 24 Cups says:

Well said Jackal and I agree with pretty well everything you have outlined. All things considered, dressing PK as the 7th guy from here on in can’t hurt TC and just might provide some offensive spark.

The problem with the Subban overkill on HI/O is that it takes away from some of the other issues concerning the team. As an example, I’m not totally happy with the 4th line and the usage of Tavares. Right now this line basically seems to be a dumping ground for the guys who can’t crack the top three units. I guess this is partly due to the injury to Stamkos and the conversion of Bergeron to RW. If Stamkos was around, a top line of Tavares/Crosby/Stamkos could be electrifying.

3. BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

So Chara’s out. Gee, I wonder how I feel about that…
    And Pleks plays Max tomorrow. It should be a good one.

4. Plekasuares says:

On mobile can’t reply to these comments! @Ont Fan I was mad MSL was not playing but I would have taken out someone other than Duchene because man was Duchene flying!!

5. Sportfan says:

Gold medal game for men is at 7 eastern time o.O wow

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

6. Sportfan says:

Remember how people said how cool it would be to have Babcock as our coach for the Habs? How do people feel about that now?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Based on the poll I would say he would be welcomed.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Sorry, i voted no on the pole.

• Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Team Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

Considering PK’s special treatment, I’d rather see JM ffs.

• CJ says:

I would take Babcock in a heart beat.

Yeah, I’d take him, too. Out in the back where a lead pipe has his name on it. (I kid, but not much.)

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

I’ll hold him for you, Cal.

• Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

Hah!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• CJ says:

Maybe it is the team Canada executive that are making the personnel decisions. Perhaps you are giving Babcock too much credit.

Keep in mind this is a short tournament and not the traditional reporting structure that you would see in an NHL franchise. Babcock might be the front man on the microphone, but can you honestly say he is pulling all the strings? Seems like an awful amount of trust for one person.

I’d be willing to bet it is a committee decision with interest from all team Canada parties including Hitch, Stevie Y, etc.

Just my two cents…..

• Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

Other than Babs not playing our boy PK, he’s doing fine. I think they are 3-0 so far….

His job is to win hockey games and compete for gold, not make decisions based on fan’s reactions.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Wow, 3-0, against such hi level talent to boot. First of all Kunitz has no right on this team at all. Second i will say it for the 1,000,00 time. PK should be playing, and not becasue he plays for the Habs, because he is way better than the Pickle or Hamhands.

• Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

You should read the first sentence of my post again. I’ll gladly take 3-0 against lesser opponents. A sign of a good coach is making sure players don’t overlook bad teams.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Actuslly Chris i did read the first line of your post, believe it or not, i read the whole post. So if we had gone 3-0 and had to go to the 10th round of a shootout in each game against lesser opponents you would still be happy with the coaches decisions?

• Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

We can agree that PK should be playing.

As for Babs as a whole? We’ll find out soon enough. Is it gold or bust for you? Would you be content with a silver?

Edit: You’re quick with the edit, I can’t keep up, lol. Perhaps you have a point there but they didn’t go to the 10th rd of a shootout every game.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

You say, yes, but we didn’t go to the 10th round in order to beat lesser opponents, but why would a so called elite coach, throw all of his lines in a blender just to try and get Skid playing better, (yes i meant to spell it Skid). Why would a so called elite coach play a #4 or #5 Dman on most NHL teams over a Norris trophy winner that is probably the fastest Dman on the team, he also has one of the best one timers on the team from the point, along with Doughty and Weber. Oh yeah the great coach is now sitting Matt Duchene and keeps Skid happy with he shower mate Kunitz.

• Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

:sigh:

…………PK should be playing…..

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Whats wrong Chris, you can’t comment on the whole comment i made? Come on, you must have an opinion about the other coaching moves i stated.

Hilarious handle, Chris. :D

• Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

Thanks bud. Hehe

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

You should come up here for your nuptials.
            You won’t even need a green card.
            And there’s decent hockey up here, too. Most of the time….

• Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

That’s a helluva an idea….let me run that by the woman.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Don’t forget to tell her that you have a place to stay.
            And great Canadian beer!
            (You’ll notice that I didn’t mention at all how this will save us a trip….)

• frontenac1 says:

Great Topless bars for the Stag too.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

I am sure you will be sad to hear, but i am hoping for a Gold Medal. I want someone to explain to me why everyone thinks PK would take so many risks and make horrendously risky plays if he was to dress instead of Hamhands. The only reason PK plays the high risk game, is because he has to on the HABS. They are a playoff team, but barely and will most likely be one and done in the playoffs. Now do you honestly think that the HABS would be a better team with the Pickle or Hamhands in the line up day in day out. If you say yes, then you need to be drug tested.

• Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

? I agree PK should be playing. I’ve said that 3 times. I really don’t know how else to say it.

And I’m not sad to hear you expect gold. I was simply trying to gauge your expectations for team Canada.

Are you in need of drug testing?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Okay, so we agree on PK, what is your opinion about Kunitz taking up space and sitting Duchene? Is that another brilliant move by the coach. I am sure Skid was happy for his team mate to make the team, but i bet he would be happier if he wa splaying with someone that could help him get going.

• Habsrule1 says:

Given how the wings have done lately, I’m startig to think Babcock may have been riding Lidstrom’s coattails.

Not impressed with his blindness regarding PK….not impressed at all.

Go Habs Go!!

7. Plekasuares says:

Duchene was Canada’s best player other than doughty…genius coach huh

8. Plekasuares says:

Plek netted one

9. jols says:

Hockey Inside/Out has the best couch potato G.M’s and coaches on the entire internet. God bless ‘em all.

10. Plekasuares says:

Now you thought I was mad at sitting Subban, DUCHENE is sitting, he was one of the best out on the ice

11. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

From the various sources I’ve read, there never was a “goalie controversy” and Price was the man and the plan from the start. True?

I’ll confess that I thought Luongo’s Olympic experience would trump Price but am pleased with this result, regardless of the outcome! Pricey does give Canada the best chance to win Gold. I just hope the offense kicks into gear tomorrow and rides some momentum.

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

• Maritime Ronn says:

Some ‘talking heads’ media Habs dislikers stated the net was for Luongo to lose because of….4 years ago – an NHL lifetime.

In reality – The net was for Price to lose.
      He did not disappoint, because he was cool and happened to make some great saves in the Finland game….and the toughest part for Price was that he was not challenged often.
      Habs fans over the years know he is best when he gets a lot of shots…

• CJ says:

It is no surprise. Price is the better goaltender right now, when it matters most. His play this season, especially the past few weeks has risen to match the world’s largest stage.

12. Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

I’m seriously bummed both the Canada and US games are on at the same time tomorrow. Doesn’t the IOC care about Americans who have heritage from Canada!?

Oh well, like UCE said, praise PVR.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    QFs set for tomorrow: CAN-LAT at 12 noon ET; USA-CZE at 12 noon ET; FIN-RUS at 7:30 am ET; SWE-SLO at 3 am ET.

14. Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

Greetings, all.
    Dunboyne Mike posting from Toronto on Mom’s computer. Had to check in to see what we’re celebrating/whining about today! Good to read your thoughts on the Latvia game which I had to miss. Looking forward to Qtr tomorrow and Women on Thursday. Great discussion on Chara. My 2c – he dipped seriously last spring also and I was proclaiming that he was past his sell-by date. He often looked bad, including the first round of the playoffs when he was on the ice and outplayed during many of the Leafs’ goals. However, he eventually found a higher gear, and I ate Crow McNuggets.

But the chat was really about, I think, was about whether he was really a truly great defenseman when at his peak. If there’s a distinction between the two, is it possible his freakish size made him more valuable than actually good?

Enjoy the games, all!

Go Canada!

15. Un Canadien errant says:

The Sochi games are not great for productivity, but I’ll be sorry when they’re done, I’ve gotten used to having sports on all the time all day, in spectacular high-def.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

16. Plekasuares says:

Someone justify sitting duchene!!!

Babcock…

• krob1000 says:

He is too fast for the rest of his teammates.

• 24 Cups says:

I’m beginning to think that some of the line-up choices might be based on age and experience. I thought Duchene and Benn looked pretty good last time out.

I imagine that tomorrow’s line-up will be a dress rehearsal for the team that Babcock wants to put out against the US. In that case, speed should be at the top of the list regardless of age.

• Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Perhaps Babcock didn’t like his teammates calling him for the puck, “Hey Duch, hey Duch… over here!”

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

17. 25 Stanley Cups says:

Canada hasn’t stopped getting breaks, they had Norway, and Schwarzenegger’s native land in their group.

If Canada does not make the GOLD medal match, even if its the US they have to get through to get there.

That would be there ONLY real test for chance at gold the whole way.

It should be considered an EPIC FAIL otherwise.

18. keithmacv says:

Canada’s start time tomorrow is 10am mountain time..12pm eastern

19. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Good for Ted Nolan. He deserves a lot of credit.
    What are his Latvian roots?
    ;)

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

And Canada catches a break.

I can’t seem to locate the game times for the semi-finals on Friday. Does anyone know if Canada plays first or are they going to play the two games in different arenas?

21. Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

Good for Latvia! They have the better uniforms, anyway.

Streit, Weber and Diaz… oh my!

22. BJ says:

Talk about giving it your all. If Latvia has any gas left tomorrow vs Canada I’ll be amazed at the recuperative powers of the Latvian team.

23. 25 Stanley Cups says:

Ted Nolan vs. Team Canada!

Who would’a thunk, eh?

24. Sportfan says:

Tim Peel call was it right?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

25. Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Team Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

Latvia stuns the Swiss (and the hockey world).

26. BJ says:

Latvia empty netter

27. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Canada vs Lativia!

28. jols says:

What a come back by the Slovaks. Great stuff…

29. keithmacv says:

I won the chance to “play again” twice

30. jols says:

Hey,” roll up the rim” is back. Anyone win anything yet?

31. 25 Stanley Cups says:

This Swiss Latvia game, is awesome.

From Streit to Diaz, and Ozolinsh. NICE

Canada will have their hands full no matter who wins.

No quarter final match will be a walkthrough, completely wide open tournament at this point.

Awesome.

32. CHicoHab says:

Starting tomorrow I wish Canada to go 3-0. Couldn’t care less who’s in net. Who’s on defence. Who plays on who’s line. Who is behind the bench.

33. BJ says:

Latvia needs to hit the oxygen masks, still leading 2-1 but on the ropes at the end of the second. If by a miracle they can hold on, I don’t know if anyone will show up for them vs Canada tomorrow.

34. DoopsyDiddler says:

I’m going to say this not because it’s true (although it has some truth to it) but because it feels good.

Chara was never that good.

He relied on intimidation. But once players realized there was nothing to be afraid of he lost the intimidation and all that was left was the sloth and small brain.

He is now a forelorn defeated figure: think Go-Jira sadly retreating back into the ocean.

• Walmyr says:

Chara is 36 years old now. He is not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

But I agree, he was never that good…

• Maritime Ronn says:

Yea, he’s really lousy.
      He has a Cup ring and he was a major contributer to that.
      In the past 4 years of playoffs, he played between 28-30 minutes a game.
      A CuP win and a Cup Final.
      If he played for the Habs, the crowd would do the ” We’re not worthy” bow to him.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Gotta agree. You do have to tip your hat to him. Despite how many on HIO view him (and I had always tried to give him the benefit of the doubt re the Max hit…until he defended himself by stating that he didn’t even know Max was on the ice @ the time), he has always utilized his size/reach (advantage) as well as you could expect from anyone. (considering that his size could be viewed in certain situations as somewhat of a disadvantage re lack of quickness)

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi dr

If you look at his whole career, he could have hurt a lot of players because of his Nephilim size, yet held back on many occasions.
          The Max thing?
          We’ll never know, but just maybe Max was unlucky and may have just a little responsibility of bringing it upon himself (reaction after a goal)… and being at the wrong place at the wrong time in a lightening fast game.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Ronn, you say that maybe Max brought the hit on himself, because he pushed Chara after a goal. He simply shoved him and Chara kept skating. It’s not like Max shoved him from behind and head first into the boards. I am sorry, but what Max did to Chara maybe arrneted a fash wash or punch with glove on, but not the hit that he got.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi jimmy

How could that hit have been pre-planned?

• aversglay says:

Nothing to be afraid of? Didn’t he break some guy’s neck once?

• 24 Cups says:

I’d have to see a list but I feel that Chara is one of the best UFA signings of all time. One of the best moves the Bruins ever made.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris this summer had him ranked as the #5 best player in the NHL, which I disagreed with at the time. We went back and forth, but I’ll stick to my guns and say he might have been that dominant at the height of his powers, but there’s no way he’s now ranked that high.

35. jols says:

I don’t think USA/Czech is a gimme. Czech’s seem to be hitting their stride right in time. USA still favorites but it could be a nail biter.

36. The Jackal says:

Whining about Babcock and PK 24/7 won’t change anything.
    FFS, same BS, different thread.

37. Maritime Ronn says:

Good afternoon

HIO has dissected the Subban thing by almost every angle possible, yet there may be a few others angles to look at…
    Why not? :-)

What has become evident for ‘some reason’ is that Subban has not garnered/won the “Defensive Trust” of the Team Canada brainiacs this year. (Kevin Lowe included…)

If so, the question becomes how did that happen, and is it all based on truth, fact, and even warranted…or were there other factors in play?

A rewind of the tape:

During the big disaster 2011-12 season, the Habs surprisingly had the 2nd Best Penalty Kill in the NHL using Gorges/Gill…then Gorges/Subban (after Gill was traded to Nashville), as its 1st Unit PK.
    In that year, Subban played an average of 24:18/game.

Enter Coach Therrien for 2012-13:
    This should not be considered as a knock against MT as the Habs as a team surpassed expectations and overachieved in a 48 game season, yet his arrival changed Subban’s role.

2012-13:
    Subban’s ToI Decreased to 23:14/game, yet more notably, the Habs PK fell to 23rd in the NHL with the use of Gorges-Diaz-Markov-Emelin as the Top 4 PK Unit – NO Subban from the 2nd place Penalty Kill Unit from the year before.
    Ottawa Playoffs Penalty Kill?
    *Another disaster… without Subban, while Bouillon and Tinordi played 2nd Unit behind Gorges and Diaz. (???)

2013-14?
    Subban’s time has slightly increased to 25:00/game….yet he has NO role on the Habs PK – a still very respectable 3rd place, yet that has to do more about the superb play of Carey Price than anything else.

While Subban’s 25 minutes/game may appear to be large at first glance, there are 11 NHL Dmen that play more average minutes per game, and 31 NHL Dmen play over 24 minutes/game.
    ( Ryan Suter leads at 29:49 per game)

Specialty Teams?
    All of Team Canada’s 3 other right hand Dmen play on their team’s 1st Unit PK AND PP.
    Subban does not.

The final question becomes:
    How can Coach Babcock (and his other coaches) have confidence in Subban for either PK situations, or end of game ‘shut down’ situations, when his own Habs coach does not…or for the most part has not, during the past 2 years?

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Hi Ronn…interesting thought process thanks. I think perception is reality here for PK. I guess I have been a bit frustrated with PK’s development on occasion but you know when you (I) remove the emotion of it. He is a dangerous offensive player that is not a question for anyone I think. However it is perceived he is dangerous asa defensive player. You have to ( again I have to ) assume that the coaches including MT wouldn’t on purpose hinder PK from contributing to a game result but are they wrong…..I tend to think in time PK will be able to overcome the perception he has to being a defensive liability. Let’s hope so. Additionally he hasn’t had the best last month of the season to build the coaches confidence either. Personally I think he tries to do too much on the ice and that maybe is a problem also. Head manning the puck is definitely an issue for him as he tried to do the solo rushes that make the forwards wait for him whiule he darts in and out of players on teh way to the opposition end.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Just

Tks for a great response…and yes, his past 15 games have not been great, yet let’s look at that a little closer

Is Subban really a dangerous, or defensive liability?

Perhaps, yet in terms of total evaluation, who are Subban’s Habs D partners vs. the other Top 3 right hand DMen on Team Canada that may have a better cover for mistakes?

Pietrangelo plays with Boumeester- Weber with Seth Jones-Doughty with Muzzin – Subban with…Bouillon-Murray-Gorges.
        Left hand Dman Duncan Keith is superb, yet he also plays with Brent Seabrook…a 2010 Gold Medal winner

Is Subban a complete and Top 3 elite Dman in the NHL?
        Not yet, but what an upside!
        The man has all the tools – skating, strength, shot….too bad he doesn’t have a Larry Robinson to help him along and make him the by far best NHL Dman..

• ont fan says:

Tries to do to much. If they only give him about 8 shifts, that is probably what they would be afraid of. We could all fall into that trap if we were in that position.

• Luke is Canadian says:

Why is it that PK’s presence on the #2 ranked PK in 11/12 was a factor.

His absence on the PK in 12/13 was a factor in it falling to #23.

But now his absence isn’t a factor in the rebound to #3?

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Luke

The point was perception of the Team Canada coaching staff.
        They don’t/didn’t have time to dissect every single Habs game.

Lastly, Subban’s game against those same Team Canada coaches was at best, not very good.

• JUST ME says:

We are waaayyyy overanalyzing this. I do not think that it`s about P.K. `s game necessarely. I think the coach feels at ease with his choices and has a limit of players to put on the ice. He looks for certain aspects of the game and as much as possible finds players that could succeed in his plan.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Just

You’re absolutely right
        Was just pointing out some stuff.

Because of everything pointed out – and the coaching staff leaked positions, I never though Subban would get a chance….until I realized that there was to be 22 skaters dressed instead of the 20 in the NHL.

38. adadi says:

Good for Price. However I cannot honestly say that Lu would not have made just as good a starter. On the other, Hamhus over PK? Really! All of you thinking PK will be the guy in 4 years…it certainly sounds like this will be the last time NHLers will be at the Olympics for a while.

• Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

The goaltending, be it Price or Luongo, will be only as effective as the team in front of them.

39. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

All Swiss now, Latvia just hanging on.

40. Jimmy9Toes says:

PK + ? to get Hamhuis out of Vancouver?

41. Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Team Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

Latvian goalie is playing his best game of the tournament…so far.

42. Poor poor Laco, for the love of God get Budaj in there.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

43. 25 Stanley Cups says:

Premature and all, but the Czech’s could be a handful for the US.

44. JUST ME says:

Way to go Carey ! Well deserved nomination.

Am not convinced that this is the final lineup though in goal on in general. Will not be outraged if it is either. Choices have to be made and whatever they are, you will find someone (probably on HIO ) to complain.
    So Babcock is not a …P.K is not humiliated and life is not fair…

45. Lopaz is Canadian says:

Chara is playing terrible. No intensity. Losing one on one battles. He is definitely hurt. No other explanation. He’s been better than this in NHL games. Much better.

46. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Wonder if Ted Nolan is looking at his Latvian bench wishing half the players were on his Sabres team.

47. bwoar says:

@ Matty

That Latvian was the big guy, Raitis Ivanans. He looked like a tank, and got pounded like a lamb.

“thoroughbred”

48. boing007 says:

Penalty on Jagr. Tim Peel is a schlemiel.

Richard R

49. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Cze-Slo game any good?
    This Swi-Lat game is pretty hot!
    Fast, physical, intense!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. boing007 says:

Chara is not as effective with his long stick on Olympic size ice.

Richard R

51. 25 Stanley Cups says:

2-0 Latvia

Forget the Swiss, it might be the Latvians.

52. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Woah!

2-0 Latvia!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

53. boing007 says:

Go Czechs! I hope they play Russia and beat them fair and square. I can see the headline now: Czechs Invade Russia. Turnabout is fair play.

Richard R

54. DoopsyDiddler says:

I suppose Ryan Miller to St.Louis is now inevitable.

55. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Plex sets up the 2nd goal and quickly Czech up 2-0.

56. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Isn’t the biggest controversy in Olympic hockey the fact Budaj isn’t starting for Slovakia today?

And Pussy Riot detained in Sochi.

57. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:
  58. Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

Carey could win gold with Team Canada, but ironically many still won’t consider him a big-game goalie until he wins the silver with the Montreal Canadiens.

59. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

I can’t wait until this game is over, then I can properly focus my research for my list of country-specific slurs and generalizations.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. Sportfan says:

Congrats Carey!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

61. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Way to go Carey!
    It’s gametime in the one to determine our rivals!

Hey, without looking (it’s probably been said before).. who is the only Latvian to have played with the Habs? (I think the only…)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

62. Chrisadiens is a Canadian stuck in an American body says:

If Carey wins the gold, it should finally put to bed his naysayers. If there are any of them left. :)

I’m a little bummed for PK, but I know he is just proud to wear the jersey. There will be many more Olympic tournaments for PK. He’s a tough guy and will be a beast once he returns to Montreal.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

63. 25 Stanley Cups says:

Does anyone know when Canada won gold in 2002 in Salt Lake City, if the rinks were constructed in NHL or International format.

• commandant says:

International.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

Just watched the highlights of the gold medal game, and man, Sakic was a beast.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

What a big game player Sakic was.

Perhaps he could give Sid a motivational speech to get his game going. :)

• 25 Stanley Cups says:

Cool, so we broke the 50 year drought on the big ice with NHL players.

So it can be done again.

Just have to go through, assumingly, the Swiss, the US, and beat either the Swedes, Russia, or the Finns for Gold.

Beating the US in the semis would be the most fun, but winning against the Russians in the final would be the most prestigious.

• ont fan says:

I think it was a hybrid. Not as small as NHL but not as wide as Intl.

• commandant says:

It was international, but not as wide as sochi.

The NHL is always 85 feet.

Note that International can be anywhere from 98-100 feet. The Russians have purposely stretched Sochi to the very limits of that 100 feet, while Salt Lake was 98. The difference here is very marginal.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

64. commandant says:

As promised the game report and interview with Connor Crisp.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks Ben. I’ve been reading Roger Leblond’s overview of the Canadiens next wave of prospects on RDS.ca, but they’re dry as soda crackers. No insights or colour, no scouting really, just a text describing their point totals this season and during their career. Not much better than just looking at their career stats on hockeydb.com.

Nice work on this, nice get, and of course if you can get interviews with Brady Vail and Mike McCarron I’ll read those too. Any prospects likely to be drafted high this June would be nice to get to know as well.

A quick question: I remember reading last summer that he was working hard on his net presence, on blocking the goalie’s view and his ability to tip in puck and pot in rebounds. Can you comment on that part of his game? I’ve been jonesing for a player like that since Yvon Lambert retired.

• commandant says:

Wasn’t a big enough sample size in this game to judge if he’s doing that well or not. Being in the right position for screens, tips and rebounds on a small sample like this could just be random luck or could be trying to improve that area of his game. Its too hard to really tell that unless you watch a lot of games of the player. A LOT.

What I can look for is does he go to the net or not, and McCarron certainly knows how to, and is willing to crash the crease.

As far as doing it effectively, while I can’t make a subjective view of it, objectively the goal totals are probably going to land a good deal higher this year.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

65. Strummer says:

Plans aren’t necessarily etched in stone.

Examples:

2010 Olympics semi -final Canada vs Slovakia-
    Babcock dressed 6 defencemen- Weber sat and Seabrook played 5:58 TOI.

Gold medal game vs. USA- Babcock dressed 7 D, Seabrook played 5:57 TOI and 0 minutes in O/T.

Brenden Morrow, Cory Perry and Patrice Bergeron also played 0 minutes in O/T.

After tomorrow he will shorten his bench and may be forced to re-deploy his personnel.

____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

66. BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Wow, a new thread.
    What was wrong with the old one?
    It kind of grew on us, …. it’s been around for so long. :)

67. keithmacv says:

And this is old news, I read this article on tsn.ca at 6:30 am this morning (mountain time)

68. keithmacv says:

Can you please tell me how Montreal is “taking a serious shot at the cup” other than a couple good draft picks in recent years, we have done very little at upgrading this team.

69. habsnuts says:

no he wasn’t he was talking about Pacioretty when discussing injury. PK is not injured

70. habs001 says:

You dont have to be good at many sports at the Olympics to look like you are a dominant winter sports nation..Netherlands 20 medals ..19 in oval speedskating and 1 in short track…

That’s how you do it… find one sport that hands out a crapload of medals, and throw all of your efforts at winning them.

71. Blouin says:

Hey Boone – Can you (or any designee) live blog from Brossard? I’m in serious CH withdraws right now. I’ll even take a Youppi update. Much appreciated.

72. SmartDog says:

Brian Wilde speculating that PK is injured.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

73. Mick says:

CBC, Sport net and TSN all look so sad that Price gets the start over LU.
    Not me!

• SmartDog says:

We couldn’t ask for a better ambassador for the team.

More important – Price is doing a great job at selling the Habs to other hockey players. After years of hearing “no one wants to come to Montreal” I think spending time with Pricer and PK is gonna help get the word out that Montreal is getting serious at taking a shot at the cup.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• naweed235 says:

Except that I don’t think the “Hobbit in a hole” is the best ambassador for convincing players that MTL is the place to be…

• 25 Stanley Cups says:

Not sure I see any signs of mediocrity changing in Montreal, profitable to all hell. Only thing ownership has been serious about is keeping the money flowing in. The rest is a distant second, or bonus as they say, if it were to happen.

Everyone is fine in Montreal, except the fans, but they pay no matter what. Toronto, Montreal are identical based businesses.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Takes time to turn around a program, but Molson has spent money. For starters upon hiring MB he watched as MB added numerous scouts to the payroll, additional Mgmt hired in the form of player development personal Mellanby etc… Then he also gave his GM the approval to use both of Montreal’s buyouts after the lockout.

It won’t change in 1-2 years, but Molson if only concerned about money would not have done many of the moves he has. If it works, only time will tell, but lets not dismiss the attempts Molson has done to provide everything possible for the team to compete better longterm.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Exactly. Reflexive criticism of Geoff Molson and his investor group is unfounded. They gave the Gainey/Gauthier admin enough rope, then cleaned house when the results lagged. Through their words and deeds, they have shown the willingness to invest in the future success of the team. The massive hiring spree to beef up the hockey operations side that you bring up is a great example of that.

Geoff Molson loves hockey, he gets it. A great illustration of that is in one of the early 24CH episodes when they focus on the organ player at the New Forum. She had been let go by the previous régime, replaced by DJ’s cacaphonously trying to fill the void. One of Mr. Molson’s first things he did was to personally call her and ask if she would return to her former job. It was great to hear her tell the story, and led us to understand that Geoff Molson isn’t in it for the money, as much as for the love of the team, its history, its tradition, etc.

74. 25 Stanley Cups says:

Go For Gold Canada!

75. ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

there is a theory that you should not use your best players on the PK for fear of them getting hit by point shots. Best d-men mostly as the forwards can move more and face the shots but d-men are taking their man and boxing out the crease. Just a theory

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

I take mike babcock and put him in my Michael Therrien bucket.

77. Mavid is a Canadian says:

who said anything about ranting and raving..PK should be playing and he is not..its a fair discussion to have..my point is that its not just Habs fans.. I saw your previous post blaming MT I don’t need to see it again..its BS..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

78. Phil C says:

Good point, they do look good on paper. Teams need to become more than the sum of their parts though. If Canada does not become a team and play as a team, anything can happen even with all that talent, especially if they run into group that is coming together.

79. Cal says:

Rask rode the bench when Thomas won the Cup.

80. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m not a “Canada basher” but Canada has the best team on paper. I think it is fair to expect the team to look like the best one.

81. ianism says:

exactly. it’s tough to win these tournaments though, no matter who you have. so little prep time.