Price will face Ovechkin, Capitals

Carey Price will be back between the pipes on Saturday when the Washington Capitals and Alexander Ovechkin visit the Bell Centre. It will be his first game since a loss to the Dallas Stars on Dec. 23.

That will be the only lineup change made by Guy Carbonneau for the game, which starts at 12:30 p.m.

1. TradeRyder says:

Someone else on the reality page! You’re right – he kept his attitude up, tried hard (though I still say he loses the puck and gives up on plays more than most), and didn’t gripe. That’s worth something. But not that much.

I think that he’s just simply over-rated based on the obvious (past) positives and not on the full picture which includes his plus-minus (slipping again). As for his “laser” shot – again – he needs buckets of goals to score one…. I think this is another significant weakness that really modifies his worth. And, as you suggest, and I’ve said ALL YEAR EVEN BEFORE he was having an “off year”, his style of play is wrong for this fast-skating, finesse team. AGAIN!!! I SAID THIS IN SEPTEMBER!!!! By this I mean I saw a problem that turned out to be proven correct…. not that I jumped on the guy for not scoring. I said trade him even when he was a “30-goal scorer”. It’s not a reflexive thing. Jeesh.

_____________________________________________________________
    _____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

2. Ed says:

As Yogi Berra would say, deja vu all over again. Same old, same old. It’s time for you to find a new topic. Ryder will be gone soon, so why not talk about something else.

3. TradeRyder says:

I moved mine to follow yours…

4. Mattee. says:

Well, I’m about 99% sure i’m going to get crucified for this but here it goes. I’m with the idea of trading Ryder. HUH! ya, I know… weird. But for different reasons… And here’s the thing, I actually like the guy, a lot. How can you not. While he was slumping he continued to work hard and did other things that otherwise went unnoticed, when he was benched he kept his head down and mouth shut. It takes a lot of character not let your tongue run rampant in front of the Montreal Press. Above all, he’s got a laser shot that I will miss should he leave.

But here’s the bottom line: I’m of the opinion he doesn’t want to come back next year and I’d rather trade him (for the right guy (I never want to see another Ribeiro trade in my life)) and get something in return then lose him to FA. Also, he doesn’t play the (I can’t believe I’m going to say it) “system” Carbonneau is trying (notice the word “trying”) to teach and finally, if he does get hot, we could get something similar or more suited to the teams needs in return for him.

Do not put me into the corner with the Ryder bashers (I’m actually a Carbo basher)! I have covered for him many a time (especially this season). Otherwise, let the crucifying begin.

I Heart “System.”

5. Mattee. says:

I moved this comment up…

6. jablonski says:

Montoya is not playing in the NHL because they have too many goalies on their roster to bring him up and they want Valiquette to have the backup job because they have wanted to give it to him for a long time. Montoya is a top line prospect and should be playing in the NHL which is why the Rangers are looking to trade him.

Matt J

7. TradeRyder says:

Okay folks – reality calling!

We’re talking about a SIX goal scorer here for this year. A guy who in his two 30-goal scoring years was ALSO the leader on the MINUS side of the ledger one year and one-point off leader the next… and coincidentally, as he starts to score, he is also drifting back down into the MINUS column on the team, in the bottom third now.

Those years he scored lots of goals he had TONS of shots – he used to take 5-6 shots a game. But his shooting percentage is not good, he needs those tons of shots to score. So do the math – this year, being more defensively accountable he gets way fewer shots and way fewer goals. In short – a defensive minded Ryder doesn’t get so many shots and doesn’t score goals. A defensive-liability Ryder scores more goals. Which do you want? When we see Ryder score more than 25 goals in a season while being at least in the upper half of the team in plus-minus, I’ll be the first to say I was wrong, let’s keep the guy. Until then, jeesh… take a reality pill. See the whole board! Souray set records for goals, and anyone in their right mind knows that Hamrlik is a better player.

Timo, Cournoyer, help me out here!! This crazy “we love our 30-goal scoring cherry-picker BS is crazy!.

Yeah, I’m done.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

8. Ian G Cobb says:

MEL____ you are on the wrong bus ! That is T.O. Rangers, and others Philosophy, trade and buy your way to the top, and they always come up short. We are keeping our draft picks and developing our organisation. Traders are hung by the neck don’t you know !

9. Ian G Cobb says:

At a boy ! WE need you on here, to shake some of the bobbel heads that we have on here.

10. Habs-Kat says:

Unless the Rangers offer something that we’d be insane to turn down, I’d say stick with Ryder. He’s been one of the centrepieces in the rebuilding process of the Gainey era, and now that we’re on the brink of contendorship we shouldn’t ruin that.

11. Habs-Kat says:

Sorry, I don’t want to be mean. I’m just saying that the Leafs haven’t won a cup in over 40 years because they’ve had a history of crucifying their young players with unreal expectations and trading away their long-term assets for short-term boosts (that end up backfiring on them). Lets not be like the Leafs and be a bit more forward-thinking.

12. MikeL says:

Maybe it was just because I focused on him throughout the game…but it seemed as if he couldn’t keep up with his linemates. He would get the puck caught in his skates, then just dump it in. Many final decisions based on drafting and scouting is made within a few games during the World Juniors. The World Juniors is a much higher level of hockey than College Hockey. At no time did I say I am giving up on him, all I said was that I wasn’t impressed with him today.

13. mjames says:

Aggressiveness and skating – not bad skills in my opinion. Perhaps the ingredients for a power forward. I understand he is playing “lights out” with Michigan. He recently won some rookie honor. I am not ready to toss him just yet.

I am actually perplexed that you can make such uniformed comment since it is based on one game. I assuming you are kidding us.

mjames

14. Klondike Habs Fan says:

I always stay at Novotel. Make sure you get the one downtown. It is half a block from the Bell, has a great breakfast included and usually goes for about 100 bucks.
    Have Fun!

I am going to the LA / Habs match in March. Any suggestions on where to stay in LA?

15. Higgins21 says:

It’s booked for that week-end. Thanks anyway.

16. von says:

Let Ryder get hot and then trade him? The only guy who has posted 30 goal seasons the last 2 seasons? And had 25 the season before?

You forget that no else on the team has got that many. I’m glad this attitude of ‘what have you done for me lately’ is held among a minority of fans.

Ryder has one of the best, if not the best, shot on the team. He is still young and will have many goals too come. Like Kovy said, every guy goes through these slumps.

I think Bob will stay the course with Ryder because he knows. Riberio is a perfect example.

17. slamtherimtim says:

that really hurts

18. von says:

… No mention, we can only speculate…

19. slamtherimtim says:

and who are they offering

20. von says:

Finally! Hope Carey goes down memory lane with a big game as the juniors go for gold again!

Saw this on TSN.ca

– “According to the Montreal Gazette, the Rangers have inquired about Canadiens RW Michael Ryder, who has not been performing well in his contract year.”

21. showey47 says:

actually there is a small hotel right behind the bell center it was about 80 bucks for the night and included a free breakfast. I think it was called “chateau du nuveau forum”, i’m not sure i was pretty drunk.

22. HabsInBlood says:

Yes, periods – and also sentences within paragraph!!

23. Higgins21 says:

Don’t worry. The Habs will keep it rolling with Carey between the pipes tomorrow.

I’m making plans for a trip to Montreal in February. Any suggestions for accomodations fairly close to the Bell Centre? Where did the Summit people stay? and what was the cost? And how far to Hurley’s? Any help is appreciated.

Hey Captain – Realistically, don’t you feel that Pleks’ line is now our #1 unit?

The Original 24 Cups

Exactly what I was thinking Habs-Kat. Lats is either 20 or 21 at the present moment. We’ve been crying for forwards with size for years now so let’s please support the guys we have!

The Original 24 Cups

For a playoff run, maybe. Resign him? Not on your life. Federov has been coasting on his past glory in Detroit for a long time. He’s close to over the hill and gets injured a lot. I’m also not convinced his heart is in it anymore. He’s making $6 mil, that’s right $6 mil a year, so that pretty well ends the discussion. Detroit offered him the big contract years ago and he went to sunny California instead. Big mistake. When Brian Burke arrived, he said the first thing he had to do was clean out the Anaheim barn of horse—-. Federov was traded days later. Enough said.

The Original 24 Cups

27. slamtherimtim says:

sorry everyone i just want a better than average team like you , so i would love for latts and you to prove me wrong

28. Fer_hab says:

I wouldn’t be hasty to judge Max just yet. It was TEAM CANADA VS team usa now. How many american players in your opinion today actually did look good in a 4-1 loss.

29. jablonski says:

This is off topic but I heard today that some of the russian players on the team may be asking Bob to try and trade for Sergei Fedorov. I know last year he thought about acquiring him and maybe its not a bad move. if this team is gonna make a solid run at the playoffs and with how tight the east is maybe the eastern conference finals then they need leadership, someone who has been there before. If we could give like a Franky Bouillon for Fedorov and then maybe sign him it would be solid because of Sergei`s strength size and scoring touch. (Something the Habs need)

Matt J

30. MikeL says:

After watching Max Pacioretty today at the WJC, I have to be honest…I’m not that impressed. He really was noticibly bad with the puck and didn’t seem comfortable handling it at all. The only thing going for him was his agressiveness and his skating. From watching him today, he seems similar to a high draft pick about 10 years ago, Chad Kilger. I am hoping I am wrong.

P.S. I bet the USA management is now questioning their decision to leave Ryan McDonough off of the team.

31. moeman says:

Nice burn.

~ have a powerful day ~

32. G-Man says:

Well said!

Gilbert

33. Habs-Kat says:

People like you are Leafs fans.

34. Habs-Kat says:

People forget that he’s still one of the youngest players on the team. If he was 26, then it’d be a different story.
    Only a season ago, other GMs around the league were saying that Latendresse reminds them of a younger Joe Thornton. Thornton, if you recall, took a few seasons to develop into the MVP-calibre player that he is.

35. slamtherimtim says:

people like you are why we haven’t won the cup in over ten years

36. T-roy West says:

Hey Sulemaan:

Does Saku Koivu’s 1995 IIHF World Championship Gold Medal fit in here!!!?

37. mjames says:

So you are advocating Gainey making trade for the sake of making a trade. If there is nothing out there that will improve the team, then forget about it.

mjames

38. mjames says:

Spot on .

mjames

39. cautiousoptimist says:

I don’t post much anymore, but I thought I’d make an exception, because man, you’re a bit of an ass.

Lats is going to have his 25 or so goals this season with low icetime, and he’ll score even more if he picks things up with his newfound minutes. At his sophomore salary that’s a steal. What exactly do you want from the guy. Enough with the ragging on people whose jocks you’re not fit to launder.

Geez.

40. slamtherimtim says:

and hes no better than he was then

41. cautiousoptimist says:

Wow – thanks! :)

42. T-roy West says:

Ever hear of a period after a sentence? :)

43. ColRouléBleu says:

And Pleks won it with the Czech Republic

“We want to play against a team, not a building.” ~ Guy Carbonneau

44. Erik says:

Latendresse too.

45. PattyBoy31 says:

i hope ottawa getting licked by them twice in a row should be a big enough warning

46. Sulemaan says:

Is it me or have we have a few players who have won the gold for Canada in our lineup (Price, Chipchura) at the WJC?

So it only makes sense that PK Subban continues the tradition and wins gold against Sweden this weekend. Go Canada!

47. oshawahabsfan says:

The goalies had better be the only part of the lineup that alternates, don’t mess with what’s working, the lines that can consistently work have finally been put together by the mad scientist Carbo. Inserting those who are injured at the moment will do us no good. The only acceptable change in my opinion would be Begin in place of Kostopolous, I think Begin fits better in the lineup

48. Jay in PA says:

You rock, coutNY!

49. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Don’t take Washington to lightly Habs. The bottom feeding teams can upset the top teams. They already have……

50. MEL FRIEND says:

lets call b gainey mr dithers for his lack or interest in makeing a trade to improve the team for the strecth drive towards the playoffs he has got to be the most inactive general manager the habs had ever had do you get the impresssion that he just dose not like to make a trade to improve the habs for the playoffs we need to get bigger and tougher if we are going to compete againts teams like ottawa and philly mark my words he will wants again be inactive come trade deadline and we could possibly loose huet or ryder for nothing all these rumors you here about a big trade involving koivu and ryder to san jose for marleau and bernier is just hot air bob gainey in opinion will never trade koivu and will not make a trade this year so stop with all the rumors as montreal keeps winning bob mr dithers gainey his under no pressure to make a trade

51. coutNY says:

Click here…USA vs Canada I need to be quiet since I’ve been watching at work!

Update:Colton Gilles makes it 3-0 Canada…Marchad makes 4-0 ten seconds later..

52. Jay in PA says:

Is it on TV in the States? Doesn’t seem to be on inDemand, VS, or ESPN as far as I can tell.

Just checked–it’s on the NHL Network. Who the hell gets that?

53. krob1000 says:

Maybe in a few years …Ryder is a man and Kostitsyn does have a rocket but he needs to get a lot stronger to be in Ryders league (if he ever gets there….very few do).

54. showey47 says:

i definatley think they are comparable but ak46 needs to unleash it more often

55. Guy21 says:

I like the way the team is playing but I thought that Huet looked weak on a couple of those goals….I think that AK has a shot that is as good as Ryder’s !!Anyone agree…

56. Habs_008 says:

didnt call in sick, but trying to watch it on the net, it keeps on cutting out, should have called in today, oh well. Go Canada.

57. showey47 says:

Anyone else call in sick to watch the canada game? 2-0 canada so far in the second. Pacioretty has a great set of wheels and is very physical and fiesty. Good move by carbo to put price back in net and to leave the rest of the lineup alone.

58. idle says:

No, the reason Huet is playing is because Bob & Guy are NHL team management and not fans. They don’t have love affairs and unrealistic expectations from young developing players. We all agree Price looks like he will have a great career, but there is just no need to throw him into a ‘number one’ position in his first year in the NHL. LET HIM GROW. Feed him, water him, pet him and let him grow. Think of him like a Chiapet.

Huet is more then capable of giving Price the time he needs to properly develop.

59. idle says:

I never understood this concept of ‘we lost a player for nothing’

You turn around and sign a replacement player. That’s what you got. We used the money we did not give to Souray to sign Hamrlik so that is what we got for Souray. Why does the player have to come from a trade?

60. idle says:

Yes but unlike many other GM’s he was able to see his mistake with Samsonov, admit he was wrong, and do something about it quickly.

And for the money he gave Brisebois I don’t think it has been a bad signing at all. It’s a long season and hopefully a playoffs to follow and it is not going to hurt to have a veteran defencemen around who can move the puck.

61. Ed says:

You have brought this up before about Julien. It is simply not true. Why do you always try to muddy the waters by throwing things out there that are not true. I have never seen it mentioned anywhere except by you. Julien coached Ryder in Hull, in Hamilton, & in Montreal. If not for Julien, Ryder might never have gotten a chance to play in Montreal. In Ryder’s rookie season, Ryder played some of his best hockey & was a +10. He was 2nd in points with 63 (Ribeiro had 65); 2nd in goals with 25 (Zednick had 26). Rumour is that Ryder will play for Julien next year, after he signs as a UFA. Then you will know that Julien does not have a problem with Ryder.

62. TradeRyder says:

They either need to sign him or trade him. Huet is WAYYYY too valuable to lose him for nothing. Gainey knows this – he would be destroyed in the media and by the fans. I have heard nothing of negotiations so I assume they are trading him – as everyone expects. Without Price, I would crawl across broken glass to have them keep Huet who I think is a little quirky and upsets my buddy Timo too much, but is a fantastic goalie (leading the lead in save percentage counts for something) – and could dominate the league if he can learn to stop those late soft goals.

That being the case, no play-off bound team is going to give up a top NHL goal scorer that they will need for their run, so here (in order) is what we might get for Huet:

1. A strong prospect – Gainey will look for a 6’2″ winger (most likely) or center, who’ll add toughness and who stands a shot at being a 35-goal guy. Probably only 6 or 8 like that in the minors.

2. Failing #1, a pk and face-off specialist who can also chip in 15-20 a year to replace Slowinski.

3. Failing #1 and #2, Huet will probably go for draft picks and possibly a role player who’ll add toughness.

My thoughts. Anyone else have a brave prediction?

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

63. nightmare_49 says:

I’m with you , Ian G.

64. TradeRyder says:

In the cap world especially it’s always a question of what are you paying and what’s the gamble. As I said below, regardless of how you feel about Ryder or your opinion on the cause of his slump (let’s not go there!), he is now a statistical gamble. At a couple of million a year or more, if he was resigned and scored only 15 next year, that would be a bad deal when you have players in Hamilton that could do similar on an entry level contract. Simple math says he goes.

Does anyone know what the truth is about him being hard to coach? I am asking because I don’t know but it has been mentioned here a few times – that both Carbo and Claude Julien have suggested this.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

65. TradeRyder says:

He was fantastic. I think it was over 100 shots in those three games. Locke also scored two in the last games – maybe the smell of the NHL reminded him he has a chance if he goes for it. Hope he tears it up too.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

66. TradeRyder says:

I agree with the Soulman. Now is not the time to trade Ryder a) on the chance that he has found his scoring touch and b) because we’re winning and he’s on a line that is working, at least for now. So his worth can’t go down and can only go up. But I also agree with Soulman that it’s smarter to get something for him. He probably isn’t too happy with being in Montreal right now… and I disagree with you about chemistry. If chemistry gets him six goals in 35 games, it’s not the kind of chemistry that you protect. Simply put regardless of the CAUSE of his slupm (and we can all disagree forever on why so let’s not bother), it’s a hard fact that his numbers make him a statistical gamble next year. And (and this part is my opinion, but I think shared by most and makes sound strategic sense) with our depth in young talent, that gamble is not worth a couple million off our cap when we surely have some 15-20 goals scorers in Hamilton ready to come up.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

Agreed. It’s a no brainer. Ryder goes at the deadline for whatever we can get. This is no reflection on the player or the man, it’s just a wise business decision.

The Original 24 Cups

68. mrstewart61 says:

‘Latron’ is fourth in goals, first in even strength goals.

69. linp says:

From morning radio CJAD: Huet has a flu. Price will play in goal.
    I hope this is not another start of the flu season. Or is it just another explanation why Huet is not playing.

70. mrstewart61 says:

That doesn’t really makes sense. If somebody wants him, they’ve seen him play for the past 3 seasons, and play well. Again, this is a comment on knowing what others (management) are thinking. None of us are capable of that. We can assume, but we can’t know. Personally, as I and a couple of others have mentioned recently, I’d like to sign Huet to a 2-3 yr deal. Makes it easier to decide on trade or keep.

71. Robert L says:

I have dreams of Koivu hugging it, unwilling almost to let it go, and bawling his eyes out.

72. Robert L says:

Wow! I appreciate that thought very much. Your kind words Mr. Sulemaan, and those of others here are very motivational to me.

The Kovalev article was one I found that I thought would be of great interest to English only readers. Often the French press are slagged off as a bunch of manics, but there are many quality writers and thinkers who do not deserve to be lumped in with the more sensationalist press.

Being from Ontario, I considered myself very fortunate when I was young to be schooled bilingual. My learning of the game came from such sources.

Another thing to be thankful for, is Mr. Stubbs allowing myself and others to post links here for all Habs fans to enjoy.

Thanks again for the lift!

73. madmat411 says:

The only reason they played Huet, is cuz they wanna trade him. i bet someone wants him, but wanted to see him play so they kept playing him. i hope we do trade him, for a good forward, Price becomes #1 goaltender and Halak comes up.

74. Sulemaan says:

Sorry but I disagree. I’d rather get a prospect and/or draft pick and also free up the cap space than lose him altogether to simply ‘gain’ cap space. If we get a decent trade for him I don’t view that as throwing him away.

At the end of the day, Gainey will need to decide if Ryder is worth keeping and losing him at the end of the year for no compensation.

75. The Teacher says:

Good question. Hey timo, i notice that you don’t post often on Boone’s blog. Do you make it a point to stick the the main page articles?

I did notice your message specifically to me was on both pages though, which was why I was wondering

;)

76. G-Man says:

Well, it’s January and those bleeping afternoon games that the Habs do not show up for are back. I am hopeful because of the way the team as a whole has played. Beside, it’s Washington, not Detroit or Ottawa.
    Bold prediction: many future Hab fans (i.e. kids) will be in attendance today. Don’t disappoint ‘em, boys!

Gilbert

77. idle says:

What do you need the NFL for? The CFL is a great game and the Argo’s are competitive every year….

78. Habs_008 says:

I like the Saturday Afternoon start, I can now watch some NFL Playoffs after the habs. Should be a good game. Glad Price is back.

79. MEL FRIEND says:

just my opinion come trade dead line remember this old song from the monkees i think it was 1967 calling bob bob a gainey calling bob bob a gainey ZILCH one more time from the top calling bob bob a gainey ZILCH.

80. coutNY says:

Hopefully we face the Hyde version from the Washigton Jeckle & Hyde show… They played the Sens tough their last to showings with 14 goals. Only to post a “goose egg” against Boston.

81. Jay_in_PA says:

I think it’s one of those things where some teams just have a way of beating others. We beat Boston. Washington beats Ottawa. New Jersey beats us. We can beat the Caps, though, as long as we don’t have our mysterious “afternoon game swoon”.

82. RH says:

I’m curious as to why the Caps’ can smoke the Sens’ in back-to-back games. Is it just a pure meltdown by the Sens’? The whole Emery distraction? Or, do the Caps’ just have the Sens’ number? I hope the Habs just continue to play the way they’ve been recently, and not try to skate with the Caps’.

83. Jay_in_PA says:

I think it’s a good move to start Price. Huet’s the #1 and is playing as such, but he can’t take the sort of workload that Brodeur demands, and Price has to play to learn the NHL game. Give the kid a start.

I do wonder if Breezer remaining in the press box isn’t a reflection of some grand master plan by Gainey and Carbo:
    1. Sign depth players and tell them that they’ll be starters.
    2. Disappoint the kids by sending them down to the farm team at the beginning of the season and starting the old guys.
    3. Play the depth guys until they get injured, which, given what we know about Breezer and Begin (love him though I do) is all but a certainty, and with Smoke, a reasonable possibility given his age.
    4. Call up the kids. They’ll be extra motivated to show they really do belong.
    5. Win some games.
    6. Tell the old guys that the team is playing well with the starters you’ve got, but that you’ll still need them for depth for the stretch run to the postseason. Swap ‘em around in the lineup with the other 4th line guys (Kosto, Dandy) to keep them in shape.
    7. Do the evil laugh thing.

It all seems so simple in retrospect!

84. P St. Pierre says:

Hahaha…I especially enjoyed the evil laugh thing.

85. ebk says:

I can’t believe I missed it, thanks for point it out.

86. P St. Pierre says:

I’m looking forward to this game. I think it’s really great that Carbonneau isn’t making any lineup changes as I expected Brisebois to be back for this one. Hopefully the Canadiens continue to play with authority and capitalize (no pun intended) on what I still think is a weak team.

87. Chuck says:

Huet is the one who flops… I mean, doesn’t flinch on a breakaway. :)

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

88. Chuck says:

Even though Huet has been playing and getting the wins, we only have to look down the 401 to see what happens when you ride one goalie for too long: Toskala plays 12 straight, then injures his groin. Raycroft hasn’t played on over a month, so in shaking off the rust for three games his GAA is almost 5. That won’t do… Raycroft out, Clemmensen in. Clemmensen beats a crummy Tampa team then looks like crap against the Pens. Now what?

It’s imperative that you keep both goalies fresh; you never know when you might have to increase their workload on short notice, and you want them to be ready in case it happens.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

89. Sulemaan says:

Agree 100%

90. coutNY says:

Haven’t heard much from you Jay… take a sabbatical?

91. Jay in PA says:

Howdy! Yeah, to tell the truth, I held off a little while this site was going through it’s early-season growth spurt–it got overwhelming to keep up with all the conversations. It’s nice to be back, though.

92. Doctor Device says:

If Price is going to be up with the big club, he has to get in games and Washington is a good choice to start him against. Hopefully Carey will have his high glove side covered!

93. moser17 says:

His glove seems quick enough to me, though I could be wrong. I’m pretty sure, though, that high blocker is where he needs to put in the work. And no doubt that he will.