Price to start vs. Hurricanes’ Ward

Carey Price, who hasn’t won a game in nearly a month, will get the start tonight when the Canadiens play the Carolina Hurricanes at 7 p.m. at the Bell Centre. Price lost 3-2 in a shootout in Buffalo in his last start last Wednesday. He has two losses and no decision since he was the winner on March 2 when the Canadiens beat Washington 6-5 in overtime.

Price will face Cam Ward in the Carolina net. Ward returned to action Monday vs. Atlanta after having missed 18 games with a bad back. He brings a lifetime record of 9-3-2 against the Canadiens.

Ben Maxwell and Tom Pyatt will be the healthy Montreal scratches tonight.

1. adam76 says:

He was actually in that 44 spot a couple of times this season – just FYI.

2. pablojinko says:

If we talk about stats, to me it’s the same logic in starting a guy who hasn’t won in a month than starting a guy who has lost 3 out of last 4….

I’ve never agreed with the W-L stats for goalies, I think is simply unfair. The goalie has a role inside the team, to avoid the puck to enter the net, just as a forward has to shoot and score in the opposite net and the defensemen need to keep forwards away from their net… It’s like saying… “mmm let’s sit Cammalleri, he has a 28-31-5 record” for example… But well… that’s another kind of debate (the w-l stat, not if we have to sit Cammy lol)

3. TomNickle says:

Ok, you’re gone my friend.  First of all, I like Jaro Halak, but any player that requests a trade mid-season is NOT a team player.

4. adam76 says:

Is google down in your area?

5. Daard says:

“Big diff here, Lafleur didn’t have to stop floaters floating into the net, Lafleur helped to win by scoring and contributing.  Price has to learn how to stop floaters and become a team player like Halak! “

See Mikey? This is exactly the kind of post that makes me think it would be better for Carey to be elsewhere, out of the pressure-cooker and whine-fest which Montreal is all too often.

I’m not saying it’d be better for the Habs, just that it would be infinitely better for Carey and his development.

6. adam76 says:

So would playing him tied with three teams for the last few playoff spots.

Oh wait…..

7. nunacanadien says:

8. adam76 says:

So wanting our team to play the goaltender that has the best chance of getting a win makes me a poor fan?

Effort is great in Oct.  In April, you need wins.  This team from D on, plays a better game when Price is on the bench.

When all is said and done – we have a much higher chance of winning a game when Halak is in nets.  The math doesn’t lie.  We need every point – so how can you justify starting Price who has not won in 30 days?  Why not save a Price start for when (if?) this team makes the post season?

9. Say Ash says:

It’s funny how nobody discusses Halak’s pads…hmm…

10. G-Man says:

Oatmeal with raisin for all those who believe they are the “Knowers of all Hockey Knowledge” yet hold no position and are not affiliated with any hockey organization.

11. TomNickle says:

Well he’s played 34 games since Dec.18.  Pretty tired I’d say.

12. MontrealAtheist says:

Price was terrible last year during the play-offs and his current form is even worse than last year’s.

Playing Price during this year’s play-offs (assuming we make it) would be suicide.

13. pablojinko says:

I’ve noticed that Plekanec’s turtleneck is black!!!! maybe he’s planning on moving to the Ducks!!! or worst… to Boston!!!!!!

14. Daard says:

Oh I agree with you Mikey, couldn’t agree more in fact.

I am a very patient fan, and would wait however long it takes.

That said, is it the best thing for him, as a player, to be in a city where he’s going to be rode like a dog for the rest of his career and his work ethic (not to mention devotion to the team) questioned at every step of the road? Myself, I think the best thing for him, if not necessarily for the team, would be for him to be elsewhere next season.

And although I didn’t think of it for my first post, perhaps the VERY best place he could end up next season would be New Jersey. Give him a season or two to be back up to old fatso Marty, let him learn from Marty, and he’d be a kick-ass goalie for years to come.

But here? We’re gonna’ turn him into another Alexandre Daigle….

15. TomNickle says:

To Vaughn, Bauer or Reebok.

16. kazmojo says:

Agreed. I was at the San Jose game, and heard Sharks fans grumbling about Price pulling a Ryan Miller on them. Does everyone forget about the save he made on the PK — without a stick??

17. TomNickle says:

Hahaha.  Fat is hardly the word gremlin.

18. kkurji says:

wow! Take it to the extreme, All im saying is if you look at most goalies in the league their pads show some type of team affliation. I dig the white pads though!

19. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

I know for sure that OV and Sid are going to be at 100%, and I suspect their linemates will be the same. They both want the Richard Trophy, their teams want them to have the Richard Trophy. Obviously not at the expense of an injury that takes them out of the playoffs, but I don’t think either of them are going to leave anything in the tank as long as that’s up for grabs.

20. TomNickle says:

I would prefer he get branded on the forehead.

21. kazmojo says:

white pads make it more difficult for shooters to find open spaces. Apparently they look bigger.

22. mike g says:

Oh boy…….

Only in Montreal….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

23. mike g says:

Nice to see there are still some logical and knowledgeable fans on this site.

Great post, I’ve said the same many times. It’s just hard to make the members of this site understand this because most of them aren’t saavy enough..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

24. RiverviewCanadien says:

lol

25. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re just goalie pads!

He’s wearing a Habs helmet and uniform, should he get “Canadiens Forever” tattooed on his butt to sell us on his commitment?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. Josh says:

Why hasn’t Maxwell been sent down if he’s just going to be a constant healthy scratch? He’s on the Bulldogs end of season/playoff roster so it doesn’t make sense to decline him from playing.

27. kkurji says:

Anyone notice how price’s new pads have no color affliations to the habs? I thought he was supposed to have a habs sign on them somewhere. Is he getting prepared to leave in the summer? I hope he plays well tonight, and I HOPE the team plays as hard in front of him as they do for Halak.

28. RiverviewCanadien says:

Have a great game Carey!

And for crying out loud everyone up front…take advantage of a PP tonight!

GO HABS GO!

29. RiverviewCanadien says:

What happened there? The PP did nothing and the PK was not very good…Special Teams…THAT is what happened there.

30. Jordio-oh says:

2-2-1, with a 2.68 gaa and a .924 sv%

31. adam76 says:

No reason that Halak could not start every game, at least till this team actually makes the playoffs.  Give Halak a rest after we qualify for the post season.

32. TomNickle says:

Actually, my wife can attest that my mood swings with the wins and losses of this team.  Not of the goalie that plays.  MEATSTICK!

33. mike g says:

I’m sure everyone thaught the same with Guy Lafleur…He was a bust, couldn’t make it here, too much pressure, the media was all over him, bla bla bla…

Yet, the Habs were patient with him, the logical fans lived with it, and now he’s known as one of the All-time greats of hockey..

It’s called patience my friend. He’s 22. If everyone thaught like that, the NHL wouldn’t have players under 25.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

34. HabFanSince72 says:

Go Rangers in that case. Yeah they have Avery, Tortorella, and Glen Sather, but New York City is a great city. I have no problem cheering for them.

35. adam76 says:

Price does have nice hair.

36. SegerHabs says:

Glass half full – They’re also tied for 6th.

37. TomNickle says:

Yep, that’s pretty much truth, start to finish, other than the long playoff run, but that’s not certain.  Well Done!

38. christophor says:

old? if that is the new word for “wrong”, then ok.

his GAA was never worst

39. habbyone says:

I think our habs need the “this is the biggest game of the year” attitude and look at the next 5 games the same way. We sure as hell don’t want our playoff hopes determined by Toronto again.

40. fuhgawz says:

to hell with the goalie debate GO HABS GO ! we need this game boys and girls we need this game ! everyone on this team has to step up and show up for this game everyone ! why? cause its a TEAM game

Go HABS Go !!

41. TomNickle says:

Ha,  Meatstick!

42. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

if he scores a double hat trick: yes. even if he has a quiet game, i think we’ll see him again, especially with a veteran like metro out. darche might calm down a fourth line with pyatt, laps or berg.

43. savethepuck says:

way too many posts complaining about the starting goalie.  Everyone complains about him “blowing” 2 leads against Buffalo and San jose ( his last 2 loses BTW).  The team broke down and finished both of those games horribly and the only reason we had leads to be “blown” was because of the way Carey played those games. If you didn’t watch the actual games, don’t comment on them.  If you did watch them, then I have no idea what you were watching.  Give it a rest.  We have 2 talented young goalies that can steal a game on any given night from any team.  We need both of them to make a long run in the playoffs ( which we will make BTW).  I feel a lot better about our playoff chances than Philly’s.  Look at the craop they have in net for the playoff run ( and no “Carter”).  They beat us 2 games in a row before the Olympics. Big deal< everyone was throwing away our season then.  We didn’t have Markov, Cammy, AK, Pouliot, MAB, etc….The Bulldogs are a good AHL team but I don’t think they can beat an NHL playoff contender.  I thought this was a site for Montreal Canadians fans?

44. adam76 says:

So sorry – my stats were old. He is 29th out of 43.

Price is 3 – 6 – 2 (pulled from the net in two other games) in 2010.  Montreal is tied for the last playoff spot — with only a handful of games left.  Again – anyone, please explain the logic in this move?

45. habs03 says:

Right on TomNickle, you beat me to it, lol.

46. habs03 says:

I think your the ones that needs to be a habs fan first. We have 3 games in 4 nights, one goalie cant play all those games. Whenever Halak states I don’t see many people bashing him, yet when Price starts everyone just hates on him, as if people what the habs to loss just because he’s in nets, its a team game!!

47. Smiss says:

Rangers end the season with a home-and-home against the Flyers, so they could potentially take out the Flyers on their own.

48. Smiss says:

Caps, maybe not. But the Pens/Devils/Sabres are in a dogfight for 2nd in the conference. Thrashers play 2 versus PIT and 1 versus NJ.

I’d be shocked if the Thrashers played over .500 for the rest of the season.

Rangers have a better chance but they have a back-to-back with Philly IIRC. So if the Rangers end up winning the rest of their games this season (which they need to do to make the playoffs), it implies that the Flyers would take a drop.

Magic number is 4, but we should be fine with 3.

49. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

ha!

50. Daard says:

Hopefully for Carey Price’s career advancement, this will be the last time he has to play for the Habs. As much as I love this team, this has to be one of the worst (if not absolute worst) cities to be a young player with high expectations tied to you like some kind of ball and chain.

I’d LOVE to see Carey in a Detroit, Philly, Boston, or even Toronto jersey next year.

51. TomNickle says:

This coming from a group of people who would rather see Price lose than the Habs win.  Get real meatstick!

52. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

“the next game is always the biggest” - for the team that’s a great philosophy to have. And like Gomez said, Carolina is the only game left in the season -so he definitely agrees with you. For me biggest game (until the playoffs) will mean lose and it’s over. Once the playoffs hit then I agree with you – every game is the most important game.

53. Anonymous Canadiens Fan says:

Glad to see Carey get a start. Lots of goals tonight guys…Cammy, Pouliot…would be nice to see you guys get back into the swing of things!

Go Habs!

54. TomNickle says:

P.K. will be here next year, no question.  He won’t be held back, he’s a game changer.

55. christophor says:

i think they really dont want to go into the playoffs on a losing streak.

5-6 games off resting before playoffs? i dont think so. maybe the last game of the season.

also, pitt is fighting jersey for 2nd and ovi wants to get going too.

56. 123456 says:

agreed, we need the entire team to play hard and win battles tonight, would be nice to win a game 5-1 or something like that.

secret mod

57. Say Ash says:

There are some people on this site that would say the same thing about yours.

58. Jordio-oh says:

nope, that makes waaay to much sense.

59. adam76 says:

Price did play great – but he lost.  We need wins – not solid efforts.

60. avatar_58 says:

Hey all I know is if we rely on Hamrlik. Spacek and Gill next season we’re doomed. New defensive experiment please.

61. Say Ash says:

But Darche’s biggest game ever?

62. Jordio-oh says:

how is it logical to try and make a point by fabricating facts?

Carey would have the worst GAA in the league if it wasn’t for the 10+ goalies (who see regular duty) that are behind him.

63. Chuck says:

Or he hasn’t been playing tremendously well over the last 3-4 games.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

64. TomNickle says:

I don’t think the Pens and Caps are bad games for the Thrashers at all.  Do you think that the players of those respective teams are going to be giving everything they have with their playoff spots already locked up?

65. st flan says:

Rather than “crowded” I’d describe our blue line as “clogged”.

66. adam76 says:

HE did play great – did he win the game?  Has he won a game in the last month.

67. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

exactly.

68. TomNickle says:

I think improving playoff position instead of counting on opposition losses is the way to go.  Also considering that the team has played very well over the last week(ottawa not included) and have one win to show for it.  This game is the biggest game of the year because at this time of the season, the next game is always the biggest.  Just my opinion though.  The motto in the room has got to be, we improve every time we hit the ice, from here on out.

69. 123456 says:

not worst GAA in the league, and if you saw the sabres game you have to admit price played great.

secret mod

70. Rastaman says:

Well he certainly doesn’t have the worst GAA in the league, but what you’re saying is absolutely correct otherwise. It makes no sense to me either. Halak must be banged up or something.

71. adam76 says:

Its an XXL game MOS DEF.

72. 123456 says:

same here, i saw halak last year in my only trip to montreal ever.

secret mod

73. christophor says:

i dont see atlanta taking away many w’s with their schedule.