Price to start vs. Hurricanes’ Ward

Carey Price, who hasn’t won a game in nearly a month, will get the start tonight when the Canadiens play the Carolina Hurricanes at 7 p.m. at the Bell Centre. Price lost 3-2 in a shootout in Buffalo in his last start last Wednesday. He has two losses and no decision since he was the winner on March 2 when the Canadiens beat Washington 6-5 in overtime.

Price will face Cam Ward in the Carolina net. Ward returned to action Monday vs. Atlanta after having missed 18 games with a bad back. He brings a lifetime record of 9-3-2 against the Canadiens.

Ben Maxwell and Tom Pyatt will be the healthy Montreal scratches tonight.

1. christophor says:

i dont see atlanta taking away many w’s with their schedule.

2. TomNickle says:

Karlsson is a turnover machine, in BAD areas too.

3. avatar_58 says:

It’s not closed yet. This year was almost a writeoff due to injuries and a brand new set of players. Next year he should be up or else they might as well trade him, since clearly they don’t want him.

Even still I’d have traded a D man at the deadline if they wanted to shoot for the cup. That’s just me though I guess.

I just get a little frustrated when some of our younger players get minutes while others are treated like red headed step children….and why? Because “we might ruin our star”. I don’t get it – so non-stars are ok to ruin? What’s the precedent here? It’s ok to play Obyrne with his various defensive issues, but not another player? To keep bringing up other guys instead of White so we don’t ‘ruin’ him?

I don’t know. I don’t buy it.

4. adam76 says:

Sorry – tough break.

5. shootdapuck says:

Lapierre sucks pretty much all around!

Second worst +/- (-15) on the team, 70 GP 12 pts; Mathieu Darche +1 , 24 GP 9 pts ; Sergei Kostitsyn 43 GP +2, 16 pts.

Present level of contribution is negative!

Team player? NO!

He has worn out his free pass for 2009-2010 and going forward will probably have to legitimately COMPETE for a roster spot wherever he is next and that alone should have him worried sick about his future.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

6. G-Man says:

Halak hasn’t played since Saturday and is 24. How effin’ tired can he be?

Another dubious choice by JM.

7. tony d says:

how about larger than normal, not quite huge but loose fitting

8. TomNickle says:

How is the window of opportunity closing on a 20 year old playing his first year of professional hockey?

9. adam76 says:

We have to make the playoffs first.

10. adam76 says:

Unreal.  We are in a dogfight for the last spot – and we are starting a netminder with a 13 – 19 – 5 who has not win a game in a month and who has the worst GAA in the league?  How is this logical?

11. Jordio-oh says:

haha bravo, you really showed me.

12. TomNickle says:

He’s actually very responsible in his own end.  But that’s not the point.  First year pros are very lonely and people are always hanging around trying to take advantage.  Not only that but the game is different.  He’s played against kids his whole life, you can’t just throw him in there against men and expect the same results.  The other thing about this is that a player like P.K. has tendencies, when a player is reliant on one style of hockey the opposition gets a lot of out of film review.  He wouldn’t have lasted more than 15 games.  He will be ready for 20 minutes/night at next year’s all star break.  Don’t expect that heavy of a workload a minute sooner.

13. christophor says:

the canes have been great for the last 30 games or so.

14. JasonM says:

I’m disappointed but I’ll live with it. Halak needs to be 100% for the playoffs, so whatever works.

15. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

4 of 5? not if boston and atlanta lose their games…

if we win tonight we don’t lock up a playoff spot. if we lose tonight, we’re not eliminated from contention.

yes – it’s a big game and one we should win BUT we’ll live to fight another day if things don’t go our way…

16. HugeHabsFan says:

Good one! LOL!

……….. “Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

17. Dickie says:

Agreed he should be playing. Real stupidity to have talent waste away in the minors. It is called a window of opportunity and Montreal always seems to close it.

18. avatar_58 says:

The first sign of losing an arguement is personally insulting someone. Doesn’t matter if you are right or wrong, a personal insult indicates you are unable to speak in a civil manner.

19. JD_ says:

I’m prepared to go with the “bigger” game of the year.

20. hab lifer says:

why is he playing? he’s french canadian

21. TomNickle says:

I think he turned it around during the Olympic break.  He’s been lights out since taking the net in Boston.  The Anaheim period was a result of two goals from players left all alone in front of him to do whatever they wanted, hardly a bad period.

22. avatar_58 says:

He’s an offensive defenseman. That’s what he does. He drives it in, holds the blueline and shoots. Sometimes he comes up and puts it in himself. He’s also a shootout pro. He’s like a young Markov/Spacek. His D game will always be a little sloppy as a result.

The difference? Unlike old man Space-k he can HIT the net and can deke. He’s also damn fast. Which begs the question why we signed a guy like MAB when we already had a damn replacement in Hamilton waiting for his chance.

23. lavie says:

Something has changed so much. Two years ago, I had the opposition when going to a game. lol

24. Shublips says:

The Habs can’t take the Canes lightly tonight.  They NEED they 3rd/4th line to start contributing if they are going to have any success going forward.

Read more@

25. TomNickle says:

I was being sarcastic my friend.  I believe Price is playing better right now due to Halak’s fatigue.

26. avatar_58 says:

Let’s assume they win the calder. Is that time “enough” to refine his game? If what he’s done so far got them this far….he’s going to just do what he does.

So do we leave him down next year too? How about the next year?

It’s getting to the point where he will think the habs don’t want him. We might end up losing him come negotation time because who wants to stay with a team who doesn’t believe in you?

IF that ever happens I’m going to very very angry with this orginization. PK is going to be a star and it had better damn well be with the club who drafted him.

27. Rastaman says:

We lost. But guess what. We’ve won way more with the #1 goalie in net this year than we have with the backup. The numbers speak for themselves. The #1 guy has a better won-loss record, a better GAA and a better SV %. He should be in the net until we clinch a playoff spot.

28. TomNickle says:

Really?  If we lose tonight we would have to take 4 of the next 5 to guarantee a playoff spot.

29. J. Ambrose says:

Sigh. Going to the game tonight and I get Price. Was really hoping to see Jaro play. Sigh.

30. Dickie says:

As much as I love Georges……regardless of who sits he is better right now than 5 of our 6 D. He should be playing. Don’t tell me that in any other organization this guy would still be in the minors in the middle of a playoff run. You play to win for today. There might not be a tomorrow.

31. TomNickle says:

Rangers would have to take 5 of 6 and a total collapse for both the Flyers and Bruins.

32. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Agreed – playing in Hamilton is part of the process. We don’t wanna be complaining in 2-3 years about how management “rushed” PK and screwed up his development. We’ve done that too much recently. And besides, our blueline is a little crowded at the moment…

33. lavie says:

Right. He should know how to D.

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Myers is a giant and it’s a lot harder for him to be pushed around so he operates with a considerable edge over most rookie defenders. Karlsson, I don’t get the fuss over this guy personally, I’ve yet to be impressed by him. The Canadiens are taking a more cautious approach after rushing some of their prospects (Price, Lats, SK74, Pacioretty) before they were really prepared for NHL action.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Ladies and gents – this is by no way the “biggest” game of the year. It’s an exciting time and every point counts, but let’s not overstate the importance of this one game. We are currently in 7th with 5 other games left to play.

36. Rastaman says:

Good point, but some guys have the makeup to handle those types of distractions. PK seems like the kind of guy who is so laser focused on being a quality NHLer and quality human being. I’m speculating obviously, but from what I’ve seen from him in interviews and on the ice he just seems like the type of guy who can handle it.

37. TomNickle says:

Not a concern with P.K.

He should stay in Hamilton for the remainder of the year to refine his game in his own zone though.

38. SegerHabs says:

For me, it’s not the critics, it is the leaf and bruins fans that I want shut up.

39. HabFanSince72 says:

Is there any way Boston and Philly can both be out of the playoffs?

That would make me happy.

40. avatar_58 says:

He’s also had games where he lets in the first shot. Or where he lets in that key goal, just like Price. So really – the problem is in FRONT of the net.

41. TomNickle says:

Umm….no.  I said that he’s done a very good job but if the team is going to be successful in the playoffs he has to make adjustments during the game.  Something he hasn’t done, other than benching Benny.

42. Rastaman says:

Agreed. We need his skill and enthusiasm right now. Problem is who does he go in for? It’s a shame that we couldn’t move a dman at the deadline to free up some space for him.

43. Psycho29 says:

It’s not truculent enough!

44. HabFanSince72 says:

Too many invitations to sin in Montreal for a young hockey player.

Buffalo and Ottawa much safer.

45. TheDagger says:

Found a picture of what it is going to look like.  “We wanted a shirt that our players are used to and are comfortable in…” GM Burkie…

“A month before the season I stop putting ketchup on my french fries.” -Mario Lemieux on his off-season training.

46. matraque says:

I think your pic is offensive.

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

47. Rastaman says:

Halak being tired is really the only logical explanation. Otherwise it’s the same old BS of forcefeeding the “franchise” goalie down our throats and hoping for the best. I sincerely hope it’s the former.

48. matraque says:

But i thought you said JM was a terrible coach?

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

49. Chuck says:

If that IS what’s happening, then the problem is with the team, and not the goalie.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

50. Dickie says:

The past 2 nights I have watched Myers with Buffalo and Karlsson with Ottawa….why the hell is Subban not up with this team. He is clearly ready. Both of the latter players make mistakes but there talent compensates and their teams get rewarded. Now is the time to let him come up and play…

51. Say Ash says:

Maybe, but if it means getting you to post, I’m all for it.

52. thepriceiswrong says:

maybe you should stick to the RDS comment threads LOL

53. luca says:

your a cookie buddy

54. Rastaman says:

Hmmm. Biggest game of the year and we’re going with the backup goalie? Personally I don’t like it. I’d be pretty pissed if I were Halak.

55. habs03 says:

Cans have been good lately, and that Cam Ward is something special vs us.

56. thepriceiswrong says:

this is the world’s stupidest comment. I am so tired of hearing this ridiculous statement.

57. TomNickle says:

Don’t you understand that Jaro has had a half dozen games with more than 40 saves?  That obviously means he’s the better option tonight.

58. TomNickle says:

For the people telling me I’m crazy for saying that Halak is tired.  Why would JM play Price in what could be the most important game of the year?

A loss leaves Atlanta 2 points back with an equal number of games played.  If Jaro is the unquestioned #1 guy, why would Jacques play Carey tonight?

Either this team has no true #1 goalie or Halak is tired and needs a break.

P.S.  I’m thrilled for Carey Price because a big part of me believes he’s going to shut up the critics and become the goalie he was touted to be very shortly.

59. Off-side says:

I’m a little scared…

60. Jordio-oh says:

exactly. some people are just wearing blinders.

61. avatar_58 says:

So the two, three, four amazing saves he made RIGHT before it went in don’t count? Yeah *he* crumbled. Let’s go with that.

62. matraque says:

But the team never plays well in front of Price it seems… 🙁

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

63. says:

mmmmmmmmmm cookies!

They call me Shane

64. habs001 says:

price will be fine in goal  but when you are tied for the 21st most goals scored = very average collection of forwards …this team just does not have the quality type of forwards that can generate offense regularly

65. says:

Who would you like me to blame for letting the defense back in so close to Price that the Ducks had nothing but net to shoot at?  Who’s fault is it Matraque when the team comes out flat?  Price.

Some people talk hockey, and some People Know Hockey!

They call me Shane

66. G-Man says:

Price is a cookie. He crumbled, too.

67. Fansincebirth says:

Price played a great game last time out and I expect the same from him tonight.

It was the team that crumbled against Buffalo, not him.

68. matraque says:

Seems like you are blaming the whole team when they play Price and (censored).

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

69. Say Ash says:

Leafs to tweak jersey next season, now having missed playoffs for six straight years:

I’d say their problem is what’s under that jersey…

70. says:

To be honest it just doesn’t matter.  If the Canadiens don’t score we lose.  I know that sounds odd but it’s true.  Win or Lose our goalies are almost always one of three stars.

But after watching Carey play since the Boston game he’s been awesome.  That Ducks game where everyone was so quick to blame Carey was just wrong.  Some fans have no idea what goes on in a game, and if they hate Price they blame him no matter what.

Carey starts, lets see who has the heart tonight.

Lets see who’s willing to block every shot as we sit on a one or two goal lead.

This I guarantee.  Great puck control behind the net. Lateral movement that will make you lazy eyed.  No rebounds to the slot area, and a friggin W tonight.

We need these two points, Canadiens show up!

They call me Shane

71. G-Man says:

Yet another inexplicable decision by JM. Woohoo.

72. Les-Habitants says:

I dunno, Pyatt has been pretty invisible on the ice in my perspective…neither good, or bad.  Lapierre had a strong game before be switched out for Metro, and he has more experience in high pressure situations than Pyatt.  The 4th line center job is his to lose, and if he can come anywhere close to regaining his form from last season, he can bring more to the table (at least, right now) than Pyatt.

73. matraque says:

You are so right… i mean Lapierre is like the worst Habs ever (after Latendresse of course) and should have be sitting since game 1 this season.  I mean why give the guy a chance?  He suck at getting a chance!

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

74. smiler2729 says:

Why is Pyatt sitting??? I love that guy! Sit Lapierre…

Oh well, I’m not the coach eh.

75. Les-Habitants says:

After this little break, there are going to be a lot of important games in a really short time frame, it’ll be good to have Price and Halak in game shape.

I also think that Darche brings more to the lineup than Pyatt, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the lineup we ice during the playoffs.