Price to start for Habs against Wings and Emelin will be back in lineup

The Canadiens, coming off a 5-1 loss to the Penguins Wednesday night in Pittsburgh, practised for about 30 minutes Thursday afternoon in Detroit as they prepare to face the Red Wings Friday night (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Coach Michel Therrien confirmed that Carey Price, who was pulled against the Penguins, will start in goal and that Alexei Emelin, who was a healthy scratch in Pittsburgh, will be back in the lineup. Emelin was paired with Andrei Markov during Thursday’s practice.

The Canadiens will return home immediately after Friday’s game and will play host to the Washington Capitals Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Eller-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Briere-Prust
Leblanc-Parros-Bournival-Moen

Gorges-Beaulieu
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Subban
Bouillon-Diaz

(Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)

Struggling Habs go from hunter to hunted, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Michigan mindset, Canadiens.com

Penguins make it look easy against Habs, by Pat Hickey

A rough night for Habs, by Pat Hickey

Tough night at the office, Canadiens.com

Habs vs. Penguins photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

NHL getting closer to openly gay player, by Pat Hickey

Penguins power play returns to form, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Updates on Detroit Skaters for tonights tilt with Montreal.

2. joewindsor habfan says:

Going to the game tonight, paid big bucks for great seats. I was looking forward to this match-up for 2 long years and now I’m just demoralized told my buddies it’s going to be a scene when Snow White and the 7 dwarfs meet Freddy Kruger. Oh well at least get to see the P- 4’s, Price, P.K, Plekanec & Patches.

Max may show some extra effort tonight. First game back at the Joe since he played some games there as Michigan Wolverine. I’m sure he will have some friends in attendance and will want to play well.

I like Max a great deal, but have started to wonder about his compete level. I at least hope tonight he lights it up. Plus PK is in the lineup, Price is starting. I am hopeful you end up enjoying a great game as you first hoped.

CHeers Joe!

• jimmy shaker says:

Where are you sitting? I’m debating if I should go or not.

Shaker out!

• CJ says:

Call me crazy, but I think Montreal gets a break and scores one early. I think it’s going to be a low scoring game as there will be lots of emphasis on defence and puck pursuit. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but I see Montreal winning tonight.

• joewindsor habfan says:

Detroit’s a fast team, due to injuries Babs got a heavy dose of youth infusion in the line up. Some real good prospects hard work ethic. So, the game should be fast.

• CJ says:

We need to match that intensity. We are a fragile team right now. The first goal is key. You can just see in their body language when they get behind it’s like they have no chance. Hopefully they pop one early, Price holds the fort, and the boys work for a full 60 minutes.

• Forum Dog says:

I doubt they’ll get slaughtered. Detroit is nowhere near as good as the Pens, and are similar to the Habs in a few ways. Should be a good, up-tempo and fast moving game. Enjoy! Not sure what the barn in Detroit is like, but I bet its a nice one with good atmosphere…

3. Propwash says:

Morning everyone! Blew out my back yesterday from lifting large Tupperware containers of water due to my neighbor upstairs shutting off her heating leading to a pipe blowing. Kitchen ceiling needs to be replaced, and I learned that light fixtures can make pretty good shower heads.

It’s obvious that the Habs have been going through a rough patch lately, but they’ll turn it around. It happens to every team. People advocate for coaching changes whenever the team starts slumping which is getting beyond ridiculous at this point. Given the slim pickings due to the linguistic and political landscape of Montreal and Quebec, there is no miraculous coaching change that will help the team somehow win the cup. All we can do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Mattyleg says:

Oh man.
      Poor you.
      People are truly, truly stupid.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Propwash says:

This wasn’t the first time it happened. A couple of years ago, her toilet got plugged so what does she try to do? Keep flushing it.
        Kitchen ceiling had to be replaced. She does have a mental disability so I cant really blame her, but it does make our lives somewhat miserable whenever things like this happen.

____________________
        DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Mattyleg says:

Ay-ya-yai.
          My g/f used to work up north in Schefferville as a nurse.
          The one living above her finished her contract and went back to Montreal. She turned off the heating and opened the window to ‘air the place out’ (she’d been smoking the whole time in the room despite not being allowed).

It was January. It was Schefferville. It was -45 outside.

My g/f managed to save most of her clothes when the water burst through the ceiling into her closet.
          Luckily she was able to move into another apartment.
          Poor everyone.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

Some years ago, I was outside talking to our neighbor and my wife came to join in on the conversation.
            Ten minutes later, my son came running out “It wasn’t me, it wasn’t me!!!” (Arms flailing… the whole 9 yards).
            Come to find out, she was doing dishes and came out “for 20 seconds” to ask me something, and forgot,
            I had to change the brand new lenolium on the kitchen floor, the ceiling in the bathroom downstairs and the ceiling in the hallway going down the stairs.
            The good thing …. the new kitchen floor was ceramic this time.

• Mattyleg says:

Ha!
            *facepalm*

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

Hope your back feels better.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

4. rhino514 says:

There are moves one tries because they seem logical. There are moves one tries out of curiosity. Then there are moves tried on just a hunch.
    Finally, there are moves that are a complete waste of time, that have absolutely no chance in hell to work out. All they do is delay finding real solutions for another few games.
    Pairing PK Subban with douglas Murray is one such move.
    For the first time, since he has been t the helm, I have to seriously question wether a coach who would put together such a pairing is qualified.
    Therrien has brought changing lines and pairings to a new standard never before seen. It´s not enough he changes after every 2 game losing streak; he will now send the second and third periods of each game the team doesn´t start well making changes within the changes. The Pittsburgh game “We tried different some tings in da second period…we´ll see”
    And you are telling me that this does affect the goals for at the end of the season? There are many, many players who need to know their linemates tendencies to play well, and there are quite a few of these players on the habs.

Except I think PK knows Murray’s tendencies, try hit people near net, rinse and repeat. But yah, it is curious.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Not to worry
      It’s not as bad as it looks

Subban plays about 20 minutes of Even Strength time per game.
      Murray plays about 11 minutes of even strength time + PK time.
      Gorges will probably play half the other time with Subban in even strength situations.

Murray has averaged 13:17 this year.
      His biggest minutes games this year are 16:16 and 16:11.

• Forum Dog says:

Not completely sold on this pairing, but it is actually one of the things I’m looking forward to seeing tonight. I’m kind of a traditionalist when it comes to 5-on-5 lineups. That is to say, you want a good mix of skill and toughness. If Murray can control the crease and back Subban up, it might give PK the chance to roam a bit and make some plays. Plus, if guys like Abdelkader and Franzen start thinking they can pile into the crease, there’ll be someone big and tough enough to make them think otherwise.

The proof will be in the pudding. Either it will look good, or they’ll be -3 and Therrien can keep on tinkering….

• habstrinifan says:

Let us say the defensemen dressed for tonight’s game are
      Gorges-Beaulieu
      Markov-Emelin
      Murray-Subban.

In those 6 defensemen where would you rank Murray… am I right to say as the 6th defenseman???

This stipulation is vital in my post… so if you disagree please give me where you rank him(Murray) in that group of 6.

If so then the pairing indicates one of the following.

a) M.T. sees P.K as his #1 or #2 defenseman and acknowledging the ‘stay home, clear the net, abilities’ of Murray (when he plays well)… then Murray’s ice-time deployment will be upgraded.. an endorsement of P.K…. and whether successful or not the pairing is meant to utilise Murray ‘MOAR’ and in the process endorse P.K.
      So P.K flies and Murray stays home.

b)Since Murray is the #6th ranked and is paired with P.K, then the 5th/6th defencemen for tonight’s game will be P.K/Murrar… thus relegating P.K down the depth chart… for tonight’s game.

Now I am not determining the wisdom of A or B here. (Of course, if I were to have a bias(which I dont) I would prefer A).
      And of course this could be all moot if the combos at practice do not indicate the combinations for the game.

All I am asking is delve into the ‘curious’ aspect of the pairing and come up with explanations to the scenario you raise. I see no other explanations.

Or am I ‘speculating’ too much?

• Forum Dog says:

From where I sit, PK is unquestionably the #1 D-man on this team, and its not even close. I think it is one of the few combinations that Therrien hasn’t tried, and that Murray might actually have some abilities that compliment PK. Based on that, I’d say that Murray might see a small bump in minutes, unless things go sideways. If it does in fact work that way, it will probably be Gorges who loses a few minutes.

• habstrinifan says:

So you are selecting A. I agree with you that it might be better than it appears at first blush. Just as I pointed out some weeks ago, Bouillion’s best game in recent weeks were in a pairing with P.K. It was such a good game that MT without solicitation praised Bouillion’s play after one of the games. He didnt… well let’s not go there. But the pairing didnt last.

5. rljmartin says:

What we have seen of Beaulieu in the last 2 games tells me this guy is the real thing. I say let him loose. Make sure his D-partner and forwards are ready to cover his ass but let’s see how much he’s got.

• CJ says:

I agree completely. I’d like to see him with PK. Give them the ice time, and turn them loose.

• rljmartin says:

That is a lot of “loose” for a grinding team!

• CJ says:

The notion that we are a grinding team, as noted by Therien, doesn’t make sense given the composition of our line up. We are a team with speed and skill. We are simply too small to be considered a grinding team. I really wonder if something was lost in translation, as that speech to the boys made no sense to me.

• ACEEAGLE says:

Right on…Also why not bring Tinordi up. It’s time to leave Diaz and Frankie out of the lineup to have any chance on defence. Markov is slow, Emelin is on cloud nine lately, Gorges is to small and PK is PK.

• CJ says:

I think it’s only a matter of time. With Tinordi in the wings, I can see a much different defence finishing the year in Montreal. I hope we see some changes. Out with the old, in with the new.

• jo_maka says:

They’ll have to make Diaz go through waiver for that if I’m not mistaken. And i don’t see MB doing that to the Cube. They can only have a certain number of player on the big show.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• ACEEAGLE says:

I did not know that. I sometimes wonder why they do not try him at forward. He is good with the puck and has a good shot. Why not? Do you agree?

• jo_maka says:

I think we already tried that with Weber and it didn’t pan out. Mostly because even if they’re good with the puck, our swiss boys were still too small to be on a grinding line, and they can’t be given top 6 duties. Unlike a Burns or a Big Buff. I think he’s not the worst we have, he’s actually smart with the puck but if he can’t be paired with a hulking stay-at-home with quick feet (Murray is a slug, like Gill so don’t count in this aspect), he’s easy to break.

_________________________________
            Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

6. wjc says:

Some people spend their summer counting the hot summer days away in anticipation of the hockey season.

When it finally comes they spend the fall, winter, and spring ringing their hands in angst. Running with every rumor and being tortured souls.

I have finally realized that ‘hockey’ is the ‘Young and the restless’ for men. Following the story lines like a bunch of old ladies with their knitting, loving and hating the characters that perform.

Remember the only thing the’ Montreal Canadiens Corporation’ owes anyone is a good experience when you watch the entertainment. They owe you a good performance by their employees as is possible in a competitve game.

You come they have lights, music, jumbo trons, fast skating, atmosphere, anthems, maskots, refreshments, lots of parking and hopefull a great experience.

Like a casino they do not guarantee you will win.

You take your chances and you yell and forget your troubles for a couple of hours.

wjc

7. SmartDog says:

A WEE POEM
    Sometimes we be right
    Sometimes we be wrong
    Therrien sucks
    (and Bergevin ain’t much better)

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

8. Mattyleg says:

Oh man….
    I know exactly what happened in that meeting.

Marc Bergevin: PK, you’re a very valuable player, and a big part of this team’s future.
    PK: Thank you.
    MB: There’s something I need you to do for me.
    PK: You name it, boss.
    MB: Pull my finger.

*later*

MB: This is just between you and me, understand?
    PK: Yep.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

MB was considered one of the best pranksters in the league during his playing days. Your speculation is just as accurate as any of ours. In fact I may put you ahead of the pack. MB probably laughed even harder when PK then realized he missed practise as a result of the Ruse!

• wjc says:

Actually he got some times mixed up, something was changed and he was reminded that TEAMS being somewhere means EVERYONE.

P.K. said when he got their the room was empty, and he said it with a smile.

wjc

9. Scout says:

So Marinara says theres a rift in the room? I say so what. Even Ron Jeremy couldn’t get these jokers to score.

Awfully tough to find a coach for the Habs who doesn’t fall under the adage “But he was fired by _ _ _ _!” Perhaps indeed Babcock is the saviour, we just need him to refuse a contract extension with the Red Wings like he did to Anaheim. Because the minute the Red Wings fire him he will no longer have value.

Speaking of coaches, I was never that impressed with Boudreau, particularly during his time in Washington. However, the Capitals have not had a better playoff run since his departure, and he appears to be doing a great job in Anaheim.

Don’t really have a point, just some Friday musings.

• shiram says:

I think some coach work better with certain types of teams/players.
      And also sometimes a new beginning can be a chance for redemption, and some coach make it work.

Thanks Shiram, that is pretty much what I was getting at.

• Luke says:

Its important that you find a coach who matches your players, not players to match the coach.

• wjc says:

I agree, I think baseball coaches work best with baseball players.
        I think basketball coaches work best with basketball players.
        I think hockey coaches work best with hockey players.

I think coaches have to harp and repeat themselves to the point where some players tune out.

Is coaching easy………….it is very demanding and frustrating sometimes. Do the players get it, only when they grow up and try it themselves do they realize the challenge.

Teams need coaches and if you have depth and a great team, everyone knows they can be replaced, they walk a little softer. If they think they have the power they may be a lot bolder.

Some players are easy to coach, some are harder, and some need as swift kick, some need tough love and some need a pat.

When you sit above it all, it seems like nothing…….if people only knew.

wjc

• boing007 says:

Chemistry.

Richard R

11. kerrgte says:

I notice that Lyle R (Spector Hockey Rumors’) says that MB has ‘notified the other GM’s that Bourque is available’.That’s a good thing if true.

Frankly, I’ve been a little skeptical of MB since the Briere acquisition. Simply, he should have picked up Jagr instead.
    Also, Prust has proven an often injured non-factor at a premium price.

What to do in such a competitive business? A few reality checks: 1. One sided trades don’t exist : 2. The cap is the great equalizer; 3. There are no dynasties, so you have to build a winner for a specific short time window; 4. A winning team is built around a very select few players, and there’s no room for baggage.

Les Canadians have a fine select few players but still are missing 2 high scorers and another super d’man (maybe Beaulieu?). And there’s a good bit of baggage.

So, the team isn’t there yet. One option would be to make available to teams in actual cup contention for trade everyone over age 32 for younger players or picks – Briere, Gionta, Markov, As well as Moen and a few others. Build for the future because a winner isn’t on the ice today..

You can see where I’m going with this, and I hate long posts. Just some thoughts…

Best wishes to our team and to you all.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Pierre Lebrun – an excellent source, mentioned that a Western Conf. GM stated that Bergevin was shopping Bourque around.

True or not, sometimes intentionally getting the word out can shake up a guy for the good…sometimes not.

• Bogie Man says:

What do we expect to get in rerturn for Rene Bourque? I would guess f*** all. I would actually go one step further and say the Habs would have to pay part of his remaining salary to make the trade that much more interesting. We need a power forward who can score and if you think Rene Bourque is going to get that in return, you are nuts. We are going to have to give up someone of significant value. If we are trying to attract a power forward then my guess is we are going to have to give up one of our top 3 d to get it. (Markov, Subban, Bealieau.) I just do nto think we are willing to part with such assets, but we are going to get Evanader Kane without throwing the Pegs a big bone!

• jo_maka says:

We don’t have to shoot for the stars. Maybe it’s for a Tobias Enstrom on the blue line, good young D with great flashes but is uncharacteristically struggling this year.

My point is it’s not Kane or nothing.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• boing007 says:

Give them Diaz and Gorges.

Richard R

• Mattyleg says:

We’ll probably end up trading Rene Bourque for a large forward with inconsistency problems who is having trouble with the team that he’s on.
      He’ll have a contract around the $3m mark.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

“One sided trades don’t exist”?
      Just from a Habs fan point of view …..
      1. The Saint Patrick trade (the beginning of the ongoing decline)
      2. Gomez and Tom Pyatt for McDonagh, Higgins, Valentenko and Janik
      3. Ribeiro for Ninima
      4. Richer, Darcy Tucker for Patrick Poulin
      5. Damphousse for picks (5th or 6th round)
      6. Chelios and a first of second round for a geriatric Denis Savard

etc….. etc….

The worst GM in my opinion was Reggie Houle. He blew the team up.
      We’ve never been the same since.
      Gainey didn’t do much better.

12. bwoar says:

I don’t care if it’s bad luck, I’ll say it again: I’d rather lose 5-1 to the Pens than 7-1 to the Stars. Still very pleased with most of what I saw last night. Just wishing the Jets could’ve scored.

Also: did anyone else see Hamhuis have 3 golden chances, and 3 more so-so chances, on Vancouver’s first powerplay last night? He was pinched in down low right at the side of net and puck were just pissing his way cross-crease – he couldn’t bury one if he brought a shovel. It was comical.

“thoroughbred”

13. adamkennelly says:

lets see here….I count 4 better than good NHL players…anyone else think that could be the problem with this team?

P.S. Bourque makes over $40K a game.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Eller-Plekanec-Gionta
    Bourque-Briere-Prust
    Leblanc-Parros-Bournival-Moen

14. commandant says:

The two-faced nature of all 3 Canadian Teams sitting in playoff spots (Habs, Leafs, Canucks)

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Kooch7800 says:

Nice read (minus it being depressing) Ben. Thanks for posting. Hopefully one year in the near future we could see two Canadian teams dominate and face each other in the finals. Wouldn’t that be nice

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

15. jo_maka says:

Re: PK/MT

I know bickering is a time honored HI/O tradition, but let’s not forget that what we have is logic, educated guess and gut feeling. Not all the facts.

So remember gentlemen, this is only hockey, so don’t bet your first-born just yet.

Talking about gut feeling, I think despite all the PR and posturing everybody here can sense that something is rotten in the land of Habmark. Especially between MT and PK. The first compliment he ever gave PK was pried from him out of exasperation. Kid is now an olympian, the coach goes ”Believe you me, I made this happen. ME !!!”
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• habstrinifan says:

Bickering? Hope you’re not pointing your finger at me. I’m not bickering. I’m just recording.

chuckle chuckle chuckle!

• jo_maka says:

All good Trini :)

Let me rephrase that.
        I know bickering colourful verbal jousting is a time honored HI/O tradition……….

_________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

16. petefleet says:

Tonight’s game will tell the world what was said in the meeting with MB. No words will be needed. PK’s performance will say it all. I suspect MB gave his superstar D man some very much needed advice on how to be successful in the NHL over 20 yrs. It could have been a leadership talk. PK may be ready or being primed to wear an “A” on his sweater. Gorges could be on the way to Edmonton for Yakopov and his letter will be available.

We’ll see tonight.

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Steeltown Hab says:

PK should’ve had an A by now. Gorges is good for a soundbite, but I don’t see him raising his game year to year.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Cal says:

Give me a break. What a load. “tonight’s game will tell the world what was said”. I call horseshit.
      We will NEVER know what was said. We weren’t there.

• petefleet says:

Horses**t. That’s what I was thinking. Is it only his play that will give you an indication? We don’t need to have been there. the pundints will be all over this.

Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
        Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Mattyleg says:

…and if PK plays like crap, then it’s obvious to The World that Bergevin said “hey, play like crap so that I can fire the coach.”

Amiright?
      I’m so right.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• petefleet says:

Whether he plays well or not is not really the tell I’ll be looking for but no one will really know what was said. I guess I’ll be watching his demeaner. I’ll decide, as will everyone else, what I think was said.

Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
        Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

17. It’s GAME DAY, PARTY TIME, EXCELLENT

Habs 7
    Wings 1

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

18. habstrinifan says:

This is quite an exercise. Recording the ‘discussion’ re P.K/MT…
    Interesting to say the least.

I especially like Prime Time’s showing an absolute lack of bias as he stands ALONE against the tide of public opinion and challenges Eddie that “your bias blocking your view.”.

Duly recorded.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s like those Godzilla movies where everyone runs screaming as the monster emerges from the sea.

You guys are like the extras in those movies(*). Prime is the scientist who stays on the beach and thinks he can befriend the creature.

(*Except you’re not freaking out over a monster but over a ten minute meeting between a player and his GM.)

• PrimeTime says:

I would like to know what Mr. Speculator thinks is my bias? Do tell…

********************************************************
      “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• habstrinifan says:

I thought I said you had no bias. Was I wrong?

Maybe after you explain Eddie’s bias which is so clouding his view (how could he be so blind eh?), we could examine yours….although as I said you post implies you have NONE.

19. habstrinifan says:

double post.

20. jo_maka says:

OK, I’m feeling fearless:

How about Peter Laviolette ?

Let’s say MB sends Daigneault to be a spokesman for coaching staff after the games, why not ?

Anybody sees a problem with that ?
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• DipsyDoodler says:

The guy was fired by Philly, and they immediately turned their season around.

He’s so a straight laced he drove Carter and Richards out of town because they liked to party, and set the franchise back several years.

But otherwise, a perfect fit.

• Maritime Ronn says:

” Shortly after his arrival in December 2009, coach Peter Laviolette instituted what players came to call the “Dry Island.”
        Laviolette asked team members to commit to not drinking for a month, and each player was asked to write his number on a locker room board as a pledge.
        No. 17 (Carter) and No. 18 (Richards) were absent from the board on the first Dry Island, as well as the estimated five more times the policy was instituted.

• jo_maka says:

I remember the Philly meltdown. But then I also remember Rod Brindamour’s unlikely finish and Cam Ward’s birth in 2006.

I still don’t think Carter and Richards were sent away JUST because they liked to party. There had to be a sizable rift in that locker room, and Pete or any other coach can’t have that. Rumors are what it is so we shouldn’t pay too much attention, but I vividly recall a story about how Carter pulled a Schneider on Hartnell, although as I said: rumors.

Plus he was never given a Carey Price in the back (he had Bryzzy for God’s sake) and Pronger was almost always out.

At least he stands up for his boys, ask Bylsma.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

Rumours I heard were that Pronger had a big chunk of the team with him, and Richards/Carter led the other side of the room. Apparantly Pronger didn’t get along so well with the duo (lack of preparedness, professionalism etc…) Mgmt went with Pronger, Pronger then got seriously hurt and the trade essentially backfired.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Can Daigneault be gone too, god. Gallant is the only coach I can handle on the staff, because he actually encourages Subban doesn’t just tear him down to feel like he has authority.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

21. HabsWin-nipeg says:

The gyst of this article is at the heart of why I think it’s time for a coaching change. Watching the Jets here in Winnipeg before Noel was fired is similar to watching the Habs right now – they seem lost and unable to tap into any sort of identity for who they are as a team. I’m not saying that there aren’t significant holes in the line-up, but I see a team with players that are losing heart. My take is that the NHL game has passed MT by – his style of coaching (constant line changes, benching for minor issues, no rhyme or reason to discipline) doesn’t work with todays players. He appears to have reverted to the old MT (as opposed to last year). My belief is that the team is tuning him out, and we will see it more and more on the ice. Switching the coach doesn’t solve all the problems, but it solves one of them.

• shiram says:

Habs had a similar up-roar when they first got Therrien.
      Switching coach usually brings a small period of better play, but it’s not always sustainable.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Plus WPG was underachieving. Habs are performing to expectations — mine at least, although a lot of professional pundits had them pegged as a bubble team.

• Kooch7800 says:

Yeah, I don’t get why people are shocked with where we are currently. The habs over performed in the first 30 games and now are basically where most of us thought we would be before the season started.

We are a team in transition and trying to build. It will be a few more years before we have a decent team if MB makes the right moves.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

Not saying a coaching switch is THE answer to all that ails the Habs. Just saying there are marked similarities to what we see in the Habs and what was happening with the Jets. I’m most concerned at this point about a)the effect on the confidence of our young players (Eller and PK in particular, and b)the effect on the motivation to re-sign on our young players (again Eller and PK in particular). I think the players are beginning to suffer on a professional level due to MT’s style of coaching.

• shiram says:

Heck I’d certainly prefer it if the Habs had gone with someone else as HC when they had the chance, but Therrien is what we got, and changing coach now, I’m not so sure would be best move.

Hopefully Bergeving is on top of things, he should know better than any of us what’s happening as related to player-coach relations.

• Steeltown Hab says:

He should know, but his moves show he’s not fully aware, or he’s driving a different agenda.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Steeltown Hab says:

When they got Therrien they had a significantly better roster (Prust, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, +1 offseason Subban, Eller)

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• habsguru says:

agreed, the turning point for me was when MT chose to not pull the goalie in a 2 goal game. a pro coach has to do everything and anything to get every point possible, and while I get he was making a point, he did so at the expense of possible points. if the CH miss playoffs (and playoff revenue) by one point, I think Molson has to reflect on that game.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Many differences between Noel and Therrien.

Noel had 2 full seasons (includes shortened lockout) + half of this year to get things going.
      His teams did not, and were never close to a sniff of the playoffs.

Therrien made the playoffs last year with a team chosen to finish in the bottom 5-10 of the NHL.
      This year they were chosen as a playoff bubble team

Unless there is a total team revolt lead by the leadership group, Therrien isn’t going anywhere for a while.

Just a few weeks ago, Bergevin gave him a vote of confidence and preached about what has it given to the Habs to change coaches every 2 years?
      Also, the GM has repeatedly talked about patience….

I guess we can all have our opinions, yet the only ones that really matter are Therrien’s boss and the total room – not just disgruntled players.

As long as Therrien is good with Price-Subban-Galchenyuk-Gallagher and a few others that will make up the core leadership in the years to come, he may have a longer stay than many predict.

22. Maritime Ronn says:

This game sets up well for a Habs win.

The Wings are without 2 of their top 3 scorers in Datsyuk and Fransen. SWeiss is also out, and Alfredson may play after missing several games with back issues.

The Wings are coming off a very emotional win over the Hawks (usually a letdown after that) and the Habs have played so poorly lately, that they are due for a good game.

Habs also usually play well against teams that aren’t physical and the Wings fall into that category.
    Major Penalties Wings: 8
    Major Penalties Habs: 28
    Hits by Wings Dmen: 317
    Hits by Habs Dmen: 446

• Eddie says:

The Wings know this is a huge 4 point game for them. They are well coached. I do not see a let down from them.

Guess it comes down to Price, as it usually does. He’s the X factor between wins and losses.

• Maritime Ronn says:

eddie
        Doesn’t it always come down to Price?
        Also see Subban having a big, high concentration, 200 foot game tonight with the Team Canada coach looking on.

• rljmartin says:

Or it may be a good night to bench P.K.

Pitt announcer said it all during the game…. “Look at the bench, Canadians are showing no life, I would turn Subban loose. Try to get something going” …. not the exact words but certainly the main idea.

• New says:

You forgot the stat for Alfredson’s precognition. He can foresee you will trip him so he falls first and you get two.

23. shiram says:

All we really know is that PK met with Bergervin.
    Glad to see he is taking a pro-active stance with his player.

Anything else is speculation.

24. careysubban3176 says:

Wish MT would finally do this again. Maybe its what the Habs need to get going.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agL3NHgb8Rk&feature=player_detailpage

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

25. PrimeTime says:

Why is this place called named “….Inside/Out”??? The connoctation would be that those who choose to visit would read information regarding the team not found in the mainstream media….or at least read it here first with greater details. Where is todays Red Fisher? I guess Stubbs would be the closest but very infrequently is his thoughts posted here. Is he not a fan of a blog site?? I don’t blame him. Boone turned this place into a Fan Forum with him leading the pack. A former “beat” writer that tells his readers how it is, in his opinion. Stu just writes the generics that anyone can read or watch anywhere. Hickey’s pieces are reprints of the Gazette and does not provide anything close to “inside/out” information…..although I love his quote below!! Of course Boone hated it as i gather he felt he and his legion were a primary target. It’s too bad this site has been reduced to fan speculations and ignorant opinion of a game they profess to understand better than the professionals. Fans are myopic and so has become that of this sight. A perfect example of allowing the inmates to run the asylum……a Fan Forum! I propose the site name be changed to reflect its reality.

********************************************************

• boing007 says:

How about Habs Down & Out?

Richard R

• PrimeTime says:

LOL!!! now that is funny!!

********************************************************

• PrimeTime says:

how about the Live Blog being changed to “In the Basement with Boone”

********************************************************

26. jo_maka says:

The thing that bothers me the most about this team this season is this.

After we sucked in 2012 and got Chucky, it would have been understandable — not pleasant, but understandable — if we didn’t make the playoffs last season, and maybe get a high enough draft pick that we could get a little bit more than a several year project as a 1st rounder in what was touted as a very interesting year.

I do not advocate tanking on purpose. But if there ever was an opportunity, that was it. Now that we overperformed given the kind of team we have, now to be out of playoffs will be unacceptable. Even if we know that there is no way we could get past the first round.

I know, I know…… No use crying over spilled milk…….but in the meantime, I’m dipping my cookies in vodka….
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

The shortened season appears to have been what prevented the team from dropping down standings further to get a better draft pick. Given the way the team finished the season last year, we were not on an uptick.

• third generation haber says:

That’s very true, we are wilting as the season progresses. Probably because the physical punishment is taking it’s toll.

@jo_maka is applying some hindsight to the shortened season that “in hindsight” makes good sense. I do believe 2 years from now we’ll be asking ourselves why we didn’t trade Markov before the 2014 trade deadline as we didn’t have a hope in hell of winning a cup in 2014. Instead we re-signed him to a useless 3-4 year contract and got no closer to our goal. And by that time, his value will be much lower and his cap hit will be an un-tradeable nuisance.

Commit to the f$%^&@& re-build already! Cup or nothing!

j.p. murray

• jols101 says:

The truncated season really screwed us. We were going to collapse last year as well but the season ended after 48 games. We could have Nichushkin in our line up or a Samuel Morin in our prospect pool. Instead, we got McCarron.

• New says:

Acceptable, but maybe not acceptable to the players. Not picking on you or anyone in particular but HIO in general and some media have a thing that people don’t try and do well. To get to the NHL a player had to succeed at every previous level. These guys are by nature and grooming competitive. It is seldom you find a guy who doesn’t work as hard as he can, maybe one or two a team.

A coach can bench or scratch the one or two who aren’t hustling. He can bench the guy who goes into panic mode until he calms down. These are guys trying their best who get flustered and try and do too much. Then there are nights when a couple guys just don’t have it.

Long before fans and media notice that the team is collapsing the coaches begin to juggle lines. The team isn’t collapsing because the coach juggles lines. The team is surviving games because of it. Eventually nothing works anymore and it is what it is. Like the rookie running on adrenalin it just runs out of gas.

Then we blame the goalie.

27. jols101 says:

Tonight is a huge tilt. Yes, every game is a big game, but tonight really is a must win for the boys.

Detroit is nipping at our heals. Tonight has to be the night we right the ship and put a little distance between us and the pack again. Two win in the next 48 hours would be fantastic, 2 losses and we are right with 8 other teams fight for the wild card birth. The boys need to step it up.

28. Luke says:

Good Morning folks!

Happy Friday!

Icedogs put the boots to Mississauga last night.
    Dallas put the boots to the Leafs last night.
    Had beers with my Dad, a great dinner with a friend, went to the Dogs game, and managed to sneak in a couple glasses of nice wine while watching the Leafs get trounced, as well.

A Pretty good Thursday if I do say so myself.

Lets hope the Habs can make this Friday just as good!

I wish Rousel had gotten a hold of Kadri after #43 ‘Kesseled’ him.
    Seems to me that this is the second or third time this season that Kadri has swung for the fences. Am I right about that?

• CalgaryHab says:

Kadri gets away with his dirty bs because he is surrounded by thugs.
      If he were a Hab (the thought makes me want to puke) his teeth would have been removed by someone’s fist by now.

29. Eddie says:

Clearly there are issues, ongoing, when it comes to how Therrien views Subban. Those of you who still deny the issues will never be swayed.

By now, in any other coach/player relationship involving the current Norris Trophy holder and an Olympian, the respect for the player would be a given.

About 100 games have past, Subban has gone from a young, unproven stud, all the way to one of the great defencemen in the league.

And the fact that Subban is now a 24 year old star, a true Number One defencemen, about to sign for 60 plus million, should be enough for Therrien to re-shape his outdated concerns.

Subban is not perfect. Neither is Chara or Weber or Doughty. They all turn the puck over. They all take penalties. They all lose their cool from time to time, lose their discipline, and punch players in the face instead of skating the other way.

Therrien is supposed to be the experienced coach.

It is time for Therrien to accept Subban for his great talent, and accept that Subban will never be perfect. He plays very aggressively. He will make mistakes. He will screw up. He will be undisciplined some times.

If Therrien does not, or is unwilling to, accept Subban for who it is, Bergevin will have no option but to find another coach.

If Bergevin actually supports Therrien in his ongoing frustration with Subban, and he’s considering trading PK, well……I would suggest that he better bring back a Malkin, a Stamkos, or one of the best players in the game in return. Nothing less will be accepted.

• jols101 says:

Oh,oh, the jackal is going to have an aneurysm.

Perhaps the optimist in me, but I am glad MB met with PK, and I am hopeful it is a sign of MB wanting to know from PK what is going on in the room per se.

• PrimeTime says:

Other than a 1/2 period benching last week, designed to send a message to the whole team, what evidence have you to support your argument their relationship is strained?? Both PK and MT are on record stating the contrary. What you got?? or is your bias blocking your view.

********************************************************

30. shiram says:

the Red Wings are a team the Habs can beat.
    Howard is hopefully still out.
    Please I want to have an entertaining game tonight.

31. This Team is going to the Playoffs!

LET’S GET ONBOARD AND DRIVE THE WAGON!

GO HABS GO-GO HAABS GO-GO HABS GO

I Believe management will bring in a one bog D-man, and one Offensive forward.

I believe Therrien will go two scoring lines, and 1 trap line and a checking line.

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

32. GL says:

Just me. This would be my lines against Detroit tonight:

Pacioretty Eller Gallagher (Future Line)
    Bournival Plekanec Leblanc (Future Line)

Bourque Briere Gionta (Possible Trades)
    Moen Prust Parros

• jo_maka says:

Giving Eller the best wingers ??? I love the kid, but Therrien will never do that. Much to my dismay, I might add.

Not sure about the Pleks line though. The kids will learn tons with him but I think he’s gonna lose his efficiency.

Then again, it’s about how many minutes Therrien will give them. _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

33. krob1000 says:

I keep looking at Anaheim lineup and wondering how they are doing it….Bonino has been a huge surprise BUT it seems their top 2 dmen are 22 year old Cam Fowler and 20 year old Hampus Lindholm. They have a steady presence in Beauchemin but those two are getting serious minutes and roles as kids and delivering.

• Maritime Ronn says:

It’s fun watching other organizations playing their youth and showing confidence.
      You mention Fowler. He was a 12th pick overall
      He was also absolutely brutal defensively in his first 2 years going Minus – 25-28.
      The Ducks stuck with him giving him 22 and 23 minutes per game in those 2 years.
      Now they have a confident 22 year old gem Dman with over 250 games of precious NHL experience.
      I wonder if there is a lesson there…

• rljmartin says:

Ronn….. Don’t even think about it….. They need more time in Hamilton to learn the game. Didn’t you know that HOCKEY = ROCKET SCIENCE? Get with the program….

34. krob1000 says:

For an already offensively starved group not replacing Chucky has been a big issue.

35. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

To those wanting a tank & rebuild: “Bad for Ekblad” bumper stickers will be available shortly.

• third generation haber says:

Were simply not that bad. Here are 4 reasons I want us to finish 8th this year:

1. Our youngsters gain some valuable playoff experience.

2. We still get a decent draft pick.

3. MB could still justify trading some vets for younger players.

4. No matter where we finish we will not be a cup contender this year!

j.p. murray

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agreed
        The pic would be 15-18..not 25.
        Then the Habs would play the Top seed (Pitt) and find out exactly where they stand and exactly what they need because there is nowhere to hide in the postseason.
        Playoff hockey also has a way to expose the pretenders vs. the guys that really want it…

Playoff bound San Jose dumped Murray last year for 2 Pittsburgh Second round picks and also traded often injured Ryan Clowe to the Rangers for another 2nd and 3rd round pick.
        2 unneeded pieces that would not have made a difference for the Sharks for a truckload of picks.

• third generation haber says:

Murray is a perfect example and I think Rivet is the ultimate example. Though I’m sure u won’t agree, the player who could bring us similar reward would be Markov!

j.p. murray

36. boing007 says:

Titanic? Invite Céline Dion to sing My heart will go on before the next home game. Glug, glug, glug.

Richard R

Good Morning everybody, great read from our brilliant storyteller John Bellyfull down below, definitely worth the scroll!

38. secretdragonfly says:

So, I had to take some grief from an obnoxious Leaf fan at work yesterday after our loss to Pitts – I told her she could resume planning the parade. Seeing her today will be the high point of my day :) Think I’ll take the high road though, don’t want any bad karma biting us in the hindquarters tonight.

Morning dragonfly, indeed the High Road is probably a wise choice. We are in no position to rib other teams at this point. Hoping for some better results tonight. Have a good day.

39. habstrinifan says:

Good Morning. A few interesting takes in response to my question re the P.K/M.B meeting. ThankS.

Time will provide answers. Time will prove an observation or two to be RUBBISH. Very likely could be mine.

I’ve saved the posts. The evidence will be there in black and white.

40. DipsyDoodler says:

OK here’s some cause for optimism.

In 2008 the Blackhawks finished 10th in the West. They were dead last the year before. They went a brutal 4-10 in January of that year. No player on the team score a point per game.

The next year with the same roster they went to the Western Finals. The year after they won the cup.

In that same year the LA Kings were last. They were also last in 2009.

The point is these teams with 3-4 budding stars took some time to become dominant.

So there’s hope for the near future. If Gally finds his groove (let’s give him till age 21) we’ll have three youngish dominant players.

It’s not impossible.

• Habfan17 says:

This is somewhat encouraging. What we need to know is, who did these teams draft the 2 or 3 years prior to turning it around. What free agents did they sign and what trades did they make. That will tell the story. I am sure they did not turn things around with the same players.

Habfan17

• third generation haber says:

Chicago not only got to draft in the top 3 twice, they also drafted well in other rounds:

2002:

Rnd. 5: Kruger

2011:
      Rnd. 2: Saad
      Rnd. 5: Shaw

j.p. murray

• Maritime Ronn says:

Signing UFA Hossa was also huge along with the grand larceny trade for Patrick Sharp from Philly.

” Midway through the 2005–06 season, Sharp was traded by the Flyers, along with Éric Meloche, to the Chicago Blackhawks on December 5, 2005, for Matt Ellison and a 3rd-round pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.”

41. Plekasuares says:

Eller has had some ice time. He’s been a little bit disappointing this year. :(

42. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. Getting ready to head north to Montreal in a bit. Don’t forget if you’re around, Ian, Chrisadiens and some others will be at Hurley’s (upstairs) after the game Saturday.

No worries about Bergevin meeting with PK. To tell you the truth I’d prefer PK get advise from a former NHL Dman then the whack job of a coach he has.

Stay warm everyone and CHeers.

43. Baaaaaaaaaaahhhahahahahahahhaha

FIRST!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

44. bwoar says:

Ha, Toronto gives up a touchdown and people here aren’t happy? C’mon!

“thoroughbred”

Ok, it’s cruising time for Timo. You people have fun and be nice to each other. I’ll check back in about 10 days time. Would like to say I’d miss you but I won’t :)

Adios, muchachos!

46. kempie says:

Wow. If you glanced quickly at tsn.ca right now, you’d never know the Leafs played tonight. They did right? Anybody hear the score?

47. JohnBellyful says:

Therrien tries to rally the troops with the team trailing the Red Wings 2-1 after two periods and being badly outplayed:

Therrien: Do yoo remember dat scene from dat movee on Netflix, the team was down, unh, and de coach, he gave dat speech?
    Players (small murmur): Yeah, yeah.
    Therrien: Yoo remember dat scene?
    Players (with a bit more gusto): Yeah, yeah!
    Therrien: Do yoo remember what he said?
    Players (full-throated chorus): Yeah, yeah!
    Therrien: Well, dat, gentlemen, iz what I am sayin’!
    (Complete silence)
    Subban: What’s that?
    Therrien: What’s what?
    Subban (glances around the room, sees slightly furrowed looks everywhere, lifts face to coach): What is it you’re sayin’ exactly, and which Mighty Ducks movie is it from? The first one? Second? Third?
    Prust: Mighty Ducks? Whaddya talkin’about, PK? It’s Slap Shot, right, coach? You want us to go whup some ass, show who’s boss? (nods head furiously, grinning eagerly)
    Gionta: Slap Shot? No way. It’s Miracle on Ice, ain’t it, coach? Like we got a hope in hell of overcoming a one-goal deficit in the third period but miracles do happen, have happened. Will happen.
    Moen: Close but no cigar, Cap. It’s Mystery, Alaska. You know, the puzzler about how a team traded away a top prospect for a veteran on the downside of his career. Coach is tellin’ us we could be shipped out like that guy was if we don’t pick up our game.
    Pacioretty: For cryin’ out loud, it’s MVP, right, coach? Most Valuable Primate. We’re playing like a bunch of chimps out there. Now it’s time we evolved. Into NHL players. That’s what you’re tellin’ us, unh? Unh?
    Gorges: For Pete’s sake, it’s Youngblood, you hosers. You know, the one with that dreamy Rob Lowe who plays a rising star who has to stand up to bullies. What the coach is sayin’, he wants one of our young players – you, Gally – to chop down Bertuzzi to let the Wings know we’re afraid of no one, even if means blood being spilled – yours, Gally. Right, coach?
    Therrien (explodes): It’s De Rocket, you ^$&%#% idiots. Where de coach, Dick Irvin, tells Rocket Richard: “I need players who hate to lose!” Well, I need dose players too. Guys who hate to lose. And can $^&%& score!
    (Therrien storms out. An embarrassed hush fills the room and then Subban looks up): I coulda swore he was talkin’ about Mighty Ducks 2.

Announcer’s voice:
    You got to get it, to get it.
    The Canadiens, they don’t get it.
    When it comes to putting the puck in, it’s Netnix.

48. CHicoHab says:

Im watching highlites of Dallas 7 goals for 3rd time tonite. back in a minute

“take your time and hurry up”

49. durocher says:

Larry Robinson as the next Habs head coach. Discuss.

50. rljmartin says:

Just watched 3rd period of Isles/Pens game. Great game, Tavares was incredible, what a game breaker. Makes you think, what team in the NHL is successful if their best player is a D-man? What team is successful without an elite forward?

Teams need a SERIOUS threat up front and the HABS do not have one. They had some snipers like Cami, Cole, Ryder more or less but no elite player. All this talk about a power forward when they need an elite player up front. Your only elite player can’t be a D-man.

So how do they get this player? The draft is slow and dubious at best. A trade with a lot of players might do it or trade Subban. I love P.K. but if he is our only elite player, then he is not the answer and he needs to be a “forward”.

If you do not have any elite forwards, then the only other solution is to have a bunch of tough, hard skating hard working forwards that don’t take a night off. A little like the team LA won the cup with.

Almost forgot…..Add to all of this….. a good coach.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think you are forgetting about a young man by the name of Alex Galchenyuk who is still only 19-years-old? He would have probably scored 20 goals this year in his first full NHL season.

Next year? If he’s on the 1st PP unit for the entire season? 30 goals and 70 points perhaps? Then when he’s 22 or 23 years of age and he gains a bit more experience and a bit more weight and muscle?

I think Max Pacioretty would look pretty nice scoring 35-40 goals playing on the wing with Galchenyuk through his late 20s. Pacioretty is only 25-years old.

To go along with PK Subban you have Nathan Beaulieu. A potential 50 points number two defenceman of can help Subban anchor the PP for the next decade?

Marc Bergevin will fill in all the pieces. Patience is the key.

• rljmartin says:

Sure hope so but who will help develop him into that player? Can’t say I am too happy with that aspect so far.

• The_Truth says:

I generally agree with your post.

Chucky will be a good one, but 30 goals and 70 points is a real stretch next year I think. He is still pretty raw and isn’t a pure goal scorer. Definitely at some point in not too long, i think he can get that though.

I think you are overvaluating Beaulieu. He is having trouble making the NHL, never mind a top 2 man who can get 50 points. He isn’t a top tier prospect like many of the young Dman in the game today.

• boing007 says:

Alex will be 20 in about three weeks.

Richard R

51. bel33 says:

Ahhh… nice night on TSN.ca…. crickets!!!

– I’d buy that for a dollar! -

52. NCRhabsfan says:

4 wins in 11 starts (one of those the dreadful game in Ottawa they had no business winning) + no fire on the ice + players looking lost and confused = MT has lost the room. He isn’t getting it back. Too many inconsistent decisions, too much line juggling, too many mixed messages. MT cannot get out of MT’s way. It is time for him to go.

• habsfan0 says:

Unless the Habs go on a prolonged losing streak(something approaching 10 games)MT will be the HC until the end of the season.
      Unfortunately.

• Easy now! Here’s a paper bag… now breath…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• The_Truth says:

MT has had only about 100 games so far, so isn’t going anywhere. The team’s misfortune isn’t on MT. All coaches juggle lines when things are not working, that is nothing new and is a must. I don’t see any mixed messages from MT and his staff either. He is trying to have them play with intensity, push the pace of the game and pay attention to details, especially defensively.

I don’t care which coach you have, it would not be much better, The team just is pretty average personel wise and not balanced. A lot of guys are underperforming as well. MT and his staff can talk, but it’s the players who have to bring it. The only player who I don’t think has been treated right is Briere.

It’s up to MB and the scouting staff to find ways to improve the team and they really haven’t done much. MT can only work with what he has. The team is just average and that has a lot to do with Gainey/Gauthier. Firing Therrien will not turn this team into a contender.

• rljmartin says:

Do you agree on how MT handles Eller, Bournival and Prust? Should your best center be your shutdown guy? Just to name a few.

• The_Truth says:

I don’t see a problem with how MT has handled Eller. The guy is getting 17 mins a game and just isn’t producing. He gets some good wingers too. What do you want MT to do? Play him with Patches? Tried that for a short time, didn’t work and DD is great with him. More PP time? He plays some, but hasn’t shown anything to push DD or Pleks out. It’s up to Eller to force MT’s hand and he hasn’t.

What do you want him to do with Prust? I don’t see an issue. He plays on the 3rd and 4th lines and that is what he is.

Bournival gets some opportunity, but his play has regressed. When he played well, he got to be on the 2nd line. Now that he quited down he was on the 3rd with Bourque and Briere or the 4th line, depending. That is fine. He is young and learning. It’s not like he is a grade A talent.

Pleks is the shutdown guy because he is great at it and nobody else can come close. Just like Bergeron in Boston.

• rljmartin says:

Prust is strictly 4th line but that line must play more than 6 or 7 minutes a game and must be solid i.e. no players like Parros.

Bournival did not regress. Team got healthy and he got bumped to minimal TOI and the revolving door of the 4th line.

Eller is NOT a winger and never will be.

Can’t imagine not being able to teach or train another center to do the shut down role. Pleks might just be a lot better at other aspects of the game like offense.

• CHicoHab says:

nobody said firing MT would make this team a contender. He’s just a horrible coach for this team.

“take your time and hurry up”

53. punkster says:

The great Harold Land, with Wes, to drift into the night:

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

54. FormalWare says:

Habs are no worse than the Maple Leafs! (Probably.) #schadenfreude

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

55. CHicoHab says:

How do the Leafs get the pp. Kadri with 2 handed slash??

56. frontenac1 says:

Bolts win in Shoot out.

Rousel trying to fight Kadri, refs don’t let him as Kadri throws punches

58. CHicoHab says:

Then Soobie can tug on his C after a goal. Piss Cherry right off.

59. myron.selby says:

oldschoolhockey wrote:

With the Canadiens, it seems more important now to be political, than win. Major problem, since when I had the privilege of watching Scotty Bowman coach this team, no Pur laine seemed to mind that he didn’t speak French!

Sorry to inject a harsh note of reality into a perfectly good whine, but Bowman was born in Montreal and as wikipedia says:

Bowman was hired in part because he is fluently bilingual in English and French.

So yeah, it has always been critical that the coach be able to talk to the French speaking media. It didn’t used to be a requirement that the GM speak French, but that was back in the days when GM’s seemed to regard journalists as a lower life form and didn’t deal with them much.

• Ahem… Dick Irvin (born Hamilton Ontario)
      Bob Berry (barely spoke French)
      but more importantly, my comment was framed around the need to have the BEST coach for our team to win the CUP! Not satisfy the minority chest puffer “OUI” crowd who would burn their own houses down to get what they want, only then to turn around and say, eh! you have to build me a new house!
      Point is, it’s a different league now and we’ll be resigned to an also ran unless we find a way to merge the needs of all our fans (to win a cup-s) and have an exciting team… sigh…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

60. CHicoHab says:

HIB…. That would be something else. Soobie the captain. I’d sign off on that in a second. The media talk after that decision would go on for months.

• The_Truth says:

Subban could be Captain at some point, but I wouldn’t give it to him now. That extra responsibility will do him no good. The things he does isn’t that big a deal, but is not Captain material. You just can’t have a Habs Captain taunting the other team and tugging at his jersey after goals. You don’t go from Gainey to Carbo to Muller to Koivu then Gio and then a young brash Subban for this franchise.

He doesn’t have a chance for Captain, if MT chooses or even if the players do. Pleks would be my choice.

• CHicoHab says:

Subban leads the team in points as a D-man. He leads the team in effort. He leads the team in excitement. Taunting exists in all aspects of any sport. Hes going represent Canada next month. If this isnt a sign of a leader then what is?? Maybe not soon a captain. But I believe captain material.

“take your time and hurry up”

• The_Truth says:

It’s not about points or excitement. On ice play is important, but nt the end all. I just don’t think at this point he is a good fit. I also think it woud be better for him if he wasn’t for a few more years.

I honestly don’t even think he will be given an A

61. habstrinifan says:

So the few who have commented are saying that MB met with Subban to most likely set him straight re penalties; his paly etc.

How is MT absence explained. Coach says ‘ive had it, can’t deal with this guy; he’s the reason why we are disorganized… you deal with him?

Anyone? Beaulah..Beaulah…

See my post below. Sorry late to conversation.

• The_Truth says:

Sometimes its good for a player to get different voices and perspectives. Assistant coaches, the Head coach, and even the GM. If you always hear it from the same individual there is a tendency to tune out.

MB was also a defensman for 20 years, so could offer some unique perspective that MT can’t. It’s no big deal, Gainey did it at times and I suspect many GMs with NHL playing experience do. I’m sure a guy like Yzerman who is a HOF player in the league does the same. Even an owner Like Mario surely talks with players sometimes,

• myron.selby says:

No disrespect intended, but I’ve never seen anyone try so hard to find negative interpretations of a situation as you do with this one. I’m not saying everything is hearts and flowers, hell the way the team is playing – or not playing these days – it would be surprising if things aren’t a bit tense.

But every time there is anything from the organization regarding PK you manage to spin the absolute worst inferences from it. You’ve raised finding tempests in teapots to an art form.

Any comment anyone makes seems to you to be a slight or deliberate insult to the man. Compliment someone else on the team – it’s an insult to PK. Say he’s learned a lot this year – an insult to PK.

You already have PK with one foot out the door. It doesn’t seem to affect your thinking, regardless of what PK himself says about the situation either.

My fearless prediction – PK will sign a 7 or 8 year deal this year for major dollars and will be a cornerstone of the team for the next decade. That should give you lots of time to tell everyone how badly the organization is treating him.

Perhaps MB talked to Subban as a leader of the team to find out the temperature in the room per se. It is very possible Gionta could be traded, Markov is approaching UFA, Subban is the long term leader of this team after all.

63. Typical Leaf fans, no where to be found tonight. :lol:

They were out in full force last night after the Pens game, Yella, I tells ya, yella.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

64. chfan4life says:

Even lowly Islander team is hanging in with the Big boys tonight. Teams below the Habs are quickly catching up, With 2 more potential losses, Habs can drop out of the playoff spot.

• PrimeTime says:

you are aware of the ebb and flow of a season, right?

********************************************************

65. frontenac1 says:

Definition of Mojo? John Taveres.

66. PrimeTime says:

i didnt know carlyle was a francophone?

********************************************************

67. CHicoHab says:

Be nice if Dallas can get to 10.

68. frontenac1 says:

5-3 Pens in the 3rd. A barn burner on the Island. Malkin on fire.

69. Captain aHab says:

So looking at TSN’s top 50 draft prospects, I’ve found the guy the Habs will surely target: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=161382

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

70. GL says:

When MT learns how to put lines together. We’ll start winning again
    ie Eller don’t belong on the left wing with anyone. He’s a center and should be playing with Pacioretty and Gallaghar!! Pleks with Bourque and Gionta. Desharnais with Bournival and Leblanc.
    Briere with Moen and Prust/Parros

• The_Truth says:

I’m sure it’s just temporary with Eller, he will likely go back to centering the 3rd line soon. It’s not like he was doing much there anyway. Worth a shot instead of Moen, but he just doesn’t have it offensively I find and is making some bad decisions with the puck lately.

3G 4 A -12 in the last 28 games. I wouldn’t put him anywhere near Patches and Gally.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Yeah, he was really horrible at the beginning of the season with Galchenyuk and Gallagher or last season when he had 30 points in 46 games.

If DD played in Eller´s spot he would probably have 5 points right now…

• The_Truth says:

I’m taking about the last 30 games or so. After his hot start, the EGG line cooled off and Gally was moved with Max and Patches and that line got going.

Eller has played with Chucky for much of the season and Bourque, Briere, Bournival etc. and really has done nothing offensively. The thing that I’m noticing lately is his defensive game is really off as well and he turns over the puck way too often.

He really is not playing well right now and I feel both DD and Pleks are playing a lot better.

• boing007 says:

The EGG line didn’t cool off, it was cracked open and dribbled out all over the counter. Like Humpty Dumpty.

Richard R

71. Reflektor says:

6-1 Stars. Not sure which one the Toronto media’s darlings (Reimer or Bernie) will still be called Team Canada’s 4th goalie.

• The_Truth says:

Not good tonight, but Bernier has played very well this season. So has Reimer actually. In his first full season they both have stole a lot of points for one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Bernier now has better numbers than Price. I think Bernier will be a future top goalie in the league.

72. Millsie says:

Some ones gettin a whopin.

73. durocher says:

Apparently the asking price for Dustin Byfuglien is “either a second- or third-pairing defenseman (along with a third-round pick) or a top-six forward and a late pick.”

Instead of giving up a pick, how about Bourque (3.33/year) and Gorges (3.9/year) for Byfuglien (5.2/year)?

Max-DD-Gally