Price takes his show on the road – again

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes that Canadiens rookie goaltender Carey Price will make his eighth start of the season tonight, but it will be his sixth on the road. Price is 4-1 when playing away from the Bell Centre, but he doesn’t really care where he plays.

"I treat every game the same way," Price said when asked whether he would rather start on the road or at home. "I’ve been saying that a lot this year, but it’s true. Playing at home is nice, but if the opposition fans are booing me, it doesn’t matter."

Head coach Guy Carbonneau says he is impressed by how far Price has come in such a short time.

"I don’t see too many flaws in his game," the coach said.

Read Hickey’s full article from today’s Montreal Gazette here.

1. Mr.Hazard says:

It’s a multi-meaning phrase: representative of my affinity for proverbs, my interest in logic(or deduction)-based philosophy, my stance on the origins of the Universe, and my respect toward the dignity of Latin…
    Besides all that, it looks prestigious, wouldn’t you say?
    Thanks for asking!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

2. hyfyarse says:

The kid is a gem just waiting and playing his part, to do what he is asked of, a teams dream player, cool calm and can play F#@&*^g great.

3. tonymr says:

Hi Mr. Hazard,

The phrase you’ve appended to the bottom of your messages has me curious. I was fairly certain (is that even possible?) that it meant “out of nothing, nothing comes” but I had to look it up just to be sure. Now that I know what it means, I’m curious as to why you chose to include it. Would you mind sharing?

Tony

4. Mr.Hazard says:

I like how he always has such a “whatever!” mood. And he doesn’t overdo himself to say a lot, which must be frustrating to reporters?

Ex nihilo nihil fit

5. Naila Jinnah says:

Easier said than done! You do realize that reporters write most of their article during the third period, run down to the dressing room at the final whistle, sometimes submitting a quote free story at first if the game ran (very) long. They quickly get quotes, then run back to their stations to put them into their game stories in order to get them in before deadline. That means around 10:30pm. In case you were wondering, games usually finish between 9:30 and 10pm. That’s not a whole lot of time.

And that’s one of the reasons why the post-game quotes are often very similar (unless you talk to Higgins). The players are also probably physically and mentally spent. Plus, they’ve gotten media training to teach them how to give a decent answer when they can’t think of anything.

It’s also why features, like those Dave writes, have more juice in them. These interviews happen in the morning or on a practice day. When no one is on deadline or exhausted. And then, the quotes are much better :)

6. cautiousoptimist says:

I worked as a reporter before selling out for a comms job like they always told us we would, and I hear you. But in fairness, every hockey interview with every player seems to be about bringing our stick, coming to play, giving it 110% and putting pucks in nets. And no offense to the fine job Dave and Pat et al do, but I wouldn’t want to be a sports writer having to come up with new and exciting ways to spin “they’ve got a good team and we’ve got to make sure we score some goals and play some good D and win some hockey games.”

Frankly, that’s probably part of the reason the whole Koivu language thing blew up in the media: for once, reporters were getting strong, heartfelt – even livid – quotes from hockey players. It made for some of the most inspired sports copy I’ve seen in a while, and really seemed to get people riled up and emotionally-involved… And Pat’s call-to-reason column (I think it was Pat’s) is a prime example of the brilliance that came out of the furor.

7. HabFab says:

I love Price.
    He’s not an ego-maniac, and is probably a really nice guy. I am confident with him in the nets every time.
    That being said…shouldn’t he even be a little excited sometimes? I mean I like his calm demeanor, but coming from a journalism-student perspective, he sure does give boring comments. I get it Carey, your calm cool and collected, but come on..give me a little colour!

8. Habs24 says:

Price seems so calm for a 20 year old rookie…nice to see, seems to be able to say all thie right things, and seems to be a real good team guy…hopefully he has a great showing tonight in Buffalo!

9. JF says:

Price has yet to have a bad game. He’s allowed soft goals, but more often than not (much more often)he comes away with the win. I hope he can keep that up.

At the same time, I really admire the way Huet bounces back after a so-so performance. So far Carbonneau has called it right in starting him after a bad game. It’s as though he’s challenging Huet to show that he’s still the number 1 goaltender and, thus far, Huet has risen to the challenge.

10. B says:

I agree that both goalies have played well although it seems folks are quicker to criticize Huet. It bodes well to have both playing solid and pushing each other. I hope it stays that way all season.

11. Naila Jinnah says:

Very exciting!!! I’m glad he’s getting settled :)

12. WindsorHab-10 says:

In Price we trust. GO HABS!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Naila Jinnah says:

Very true :P
    But that’s a different story… The other team monitors the TV feeds. Maybe not always, but there’s usually a video coach watching the game… and they could potentially catch the interviews, so the player can’t really give away too much… Just in case. Or at least, I’m sure that’s how they’re instructed to act!

14. cautiousoptimist says:

It’s true that people probably aren’t at their most eloquent after 60 grueling minutes, and print journalists do have tough deadlines to meet. But it’s not just a print thing, and it’s not just at the end of the game. Those TV interviews at the first intermission are still all about “bringing our sticks and coming to play.” :)