Audio: Price signs for six years, $39 million

carey-price
At a media briefing that was delayed twice on Monday, Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced goaltender Carey Price has signed a new, six-year contract with the team.
Price, who became a Restricted Free Agent on Canada Day, was scheduled to go to salary arbitration with the Canadiens.
That won’t happen.

Price’s deal will earn him $39 million – six equal cap hits of $6.5 million – and take him to the age of 30 … when a goaltender usually enters his prime.

(Seem like a lot of scratch? Warren Buffett made $192.5 million ON MONDAY)

Price made $2.75 million last season.

Price will make a bit more than Cam Ward and Ryan Miller, less than Henrik Lundqvist and Pekka Rinne.

Bergevin said he had spent Monday finalizing the details of Price’s contract. He described Price as “one of the best young goaltenders in the league” and a cornerstone of the Canadiens’ future success.

The GM says he still “window-shopping” for potential additions to the team.

“We’re looking,” Bergevin said. “My goal is to improve the team in all aspects.”

• The Canadiens webs site has a collection of Price’s best saves

• The classy Mathieu Darche on Twitter: Félicitations ! Congrats ! Awesome guy! Great teammate!

Sports Illustrated’s Michael Farber on Twitter: Thought Price would be Vezina material in 11-12. If he gets some D help, still think he has that kind of season in him.

The official announcement:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced Monday the signing of goaltender Carey Price to a six-year contract (2012-13 to 2017-18). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Price, 24, completed his fifth season with the Canadiens in the NHL in 2011-12. In 65 games, the 6’03’’, 221 lbs goaltender maintained a record of 26 wins, 28 losses and 11 overtime/shootout losses. He recorded four shutouts with a 2.43 goals against average. Price stopped 1,754 of the 1,914 shots he faced for a .916 save percentage.

Since 2007-08, Price displays a 124-104-35 record in 271 regular season games. He ranks tied for 11th in team’s history with 16 shutouts. He shows a 2.56 goals against average and a .916 save percentage.

Price was the Molson Cup recipient for the months of October, November, December and February, to earn the honours for the 2011-12 season. The netminder took part in his third All-Star Game, held last January in Ottawa.

A native of Anahim Lake, British Columbia, Price was the Canadiens’ first pick (first round, fifth overall) at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

1,314 Comments

1. JF says:

I love everything Marc Bergevin has done since taking over. He showed right away that he has a vision of what he wants the organization and the team to be, and he has been implementing it step by step. First a management and player development team composed of experienced people from different parts of the hockey universe; then a coach whose record with young players speaks for itself and who demands above all hard work and commitment; then assistants and coaches for the Bulldogs; now the identity and character of the team on the ice. No longer will playing at the Bell Centre be a walk in the park for 29 other teams, no longer will our guys be pushed around and overmatched physically, no longer will the team be dismissed as soft. The Habs will be a much tougher team and much more difficult to play against.

Bergevin says that he has fixed what he saw as the Habs’ main problem but that he is still looking for ways to improve the team. This means looking for a player who will be part of the team’s future, who will fill a definite need, and whose contract will not close avenues for our young players on the cusp of making the team. That’s why he decided against Jagr, Parenteau, and Semin.

His conception of team-building is clear: rely mainly on the draft and on developing your own players rather than on the free agent market. It’s cheaper, and the team can mould the players to its own image. The players he signed the other day are all role players, all character guys who will contribute to shaping the team’s identity although they won’t necessarily put up a lot of points.

The Habs will in all likelihood still be a low-scoring team next season, but I think if Bergevin can add someone at the right price and for a short term, he’ll do it. I like that he is unwilling to take on another big contract, especially one that will potentially prevent one of our prospects from contributing when he’s ready.

• Cal says:

MB is handcuffed by 3 contracts. Better D as a team is necessary to move the Habs up the standings. My version of better D involves ridding the team of Diaz, Weber and Kaberle. All 3 cannot do the job in front of the net. Unless 2 of those 3 are moved, the Habs won’t have enough depth to succeed.

2. Drive4twenty5 says:

Ok now sign PK, and lets get this team going again.

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

3. j2w4habs25 says:

FIRE THERRIEN!!!
    First mistake he made this year was not choosing Larry Robinson. I swear am taking a sign to the BELL CENTRE “Should’ve Got BIGBIRD” if the team takes off where we left off from last season – oh please prove me wrong

Carey Price #31

• Clay says:

It takes 2 to tango. Did Larry want to come here?

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• wjc says:

Firstly, you have to calm down. Deep blue ocean, deep blue ocean. Now put you crayons and Cardboard sign down and listen.

The Canadiens have destroyed enough myths, for example Carboneau, Gainey, Houle, Trembly, and Cournoyer, and turned them into ordinary people who make mistakes. They were brought down and found to not be perfect or a myth.

Do you want to do that to “big bird” (Larry Robinson), he just wants to play polo, live outside the bubble, and is not interested in a head coaching job especially in Montreal.

Soon he would be mortal (like everyone else). At 62 he would have to shoulder all the blame for young player mistakes (growing pains) and eventually live to regret killing off the myth that was created.

Leave him alone please, let him ride off into the sunset as the 7 foot gladiator that slayed all before……..amen.

wjc

4. habstrinifan says:

I am not a Price Hater nor am I in the group who sees Price as one of the best 3 goalies in the League.

All I know is that on almost EVERY night Price will be good enough to keep us in the game. I do believe that he still has to be more focussed technically.

The next three years will determine Price’s legacy. The team isnt going to get worse in the next two years. Price is probably the leading factor in making sure that it gets better.

After that we can truly answer the question of whether he has fulfilled his draft potential.

The way I see it is Price is probably among the top 3 goalies in the NHL at 25 or under. I see him as getting close to the top 5 in the league overall, but not without some team help (responsible forwards and good defenceman).

No doubt with the cap continuing to rise, every season a team has to “overpay” in the present to get their young core players signed to decent term. However, as Carey continues to improve and as the cap continues to rise, in short order we no longer are overpaying, but rather enjoying the benefits of a good young goalie at market rate or better.

The least of this teams problems the past two years has been our goaltending. Everyone knows we were undersized up front, particularly given the style of play being chip and chase instead of puck control. We have had a lack of goalscoring from our 2nd and 3rd lines. We have not had a consistent 4th line in years that can be sent out to provide energy or change momentum of the game. Our defence core has been hurt by key injuries and were forced to use many young players for the majority of last season as a stop gap.

Many of these areas have been addressed and those not addressed will improve as our prospects develop.

What we all must keep in mind is that this coming season is a building block year, we want to see improvement, we want to see the team play together and foster an environment which will ease our blue chip prospects into the fold.

Competition at most positions along with a new coaching staff should ensure players working hard. Free rides are over, lets see how the boys play.

Love the fact Price is happy to be in Monreal for 6 more years at the very least!

• Clay says:

The team isn’t going to get worse in the next two years.

Well, we did finish last in the conference, so that’s very likely!

__________________________

• wjc says:

I like post that start with ” I am not a Price hater”. You just know it is going to be a beaut.

I think Price will be like say……let me think….Brodeur. His main job will be stop most pucks coming his way. He will make mistakes, like Roy and Dryden made. I know, I know they are perfect icons, myths if you will. But all they had to do was stop the puck and the other 20 guys would be expected to do their jobs.

This is not his to carry by himself, regardless, of what images you carry in your head about the perfect past. I was there, they screamed for Roy’s head many a night.

wjc

• habstrinifan says:

I think I am justfied in saying WTF!

How in hell did anything I say rile you this much!

Geez!

Is wrong to say that with this long term contract done and with the promise of a better all-around team, Price’s performance in the next two/three years will determine his legacy. And I purposely did not make any comparisons between Price and Roy or Dryden or Brodeur.

Holy Crap! Some folks can only be reasoned with in a dark alley!

5. halifaxhab says:

I’m behind him….it’s the safest place on the ice to be if you don’t want to get hit by a puck!

I love Barry Manilow .

-Scotty Bowman

6. third generation haber says:

Price is just beginning to mature. We are still talking about a kid who was rushed into the NHL. As I recall we finished 15th in the east last year, a statement of our offence. But we also finished 12th in the league defensively, a statement to our goaltending!
    Does anyone want to argue that we had a strong defence last year??? We had Price, and that’s it!

By the way, we just signed him for 6 years, so why not get behind him????

j.p. murray

• RGM says:

In fairness to the D corps, Gorges was a +14 and Subban was a +9. So those two did their part.

And yes, it is high time that people stop living in a fantasy world where Halak is the goalie for the Habs or Price is destined to be run out of town. He is here for the long haul. You may not have to praise every move he makes or stop that ends up on a highlight reel, but he is the centrepiece of this team.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• wjc says:

That so called rushing, gave him the maturity he has now. Thank Gainey for realizing that some need baptism by fire was necessary Some may call the learning curve failure, it is usually necessary for growth.

Price is not and never was the problem. He is exceptional and I think heading to myth status. Someday say 25 years from now when some new goaly is being compared to Price, they will act as if Price never had a problem. He will gain myth status, standing ovations the whole nine yard. As long as he never weakens and becomes a coach etc.

wjc

7. third generation haber says:

I know the habs are the classiest organization in sports, but the only feelings we should have towards Gomez are disgust and outrage.

This lazy piece of excrement has tarnished our organization for three straight years and has established himself as the most over-paid player in the history of the NHL.

If Molson is too cheap to send this guy to Hamilon then we as fans should make Gomez’s life a living hell on the ice this year. Boo him mercilessly! and for once, I hope Therrien will have the balls to publically call-out this pathetic excuse for a hockey player.

We only offered Darche a 2 way contract at the league minimum, while Gomez comes in at a 7.5 mil. cap hit and puts up less points than Darche. Imagine what we could do on the open market with 7.5 mil!!!!!

If Gomez plans to impersonate a hockey player for a third season and disgrace the uniform that Richard, Robinson, and Koivu wore he should have his lazy butt kicked by each and every habs fan.

too cruel??? i’d apologize, but I don’t want to lie to u.

j.p. murray

• SmartDog says:

See my comment below about what I think Bergevin was doing yesterday about this. Listen to the man, there is NO WAY he is going to allow anyone a free ride on this team. Unless he has a sudden miraculous recovery of ability and drive, Gomez will be in Hamilton. I have faith! Wow – it’s true, I have faith again in the Habs!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• third generation haber says:

I hope u are right, but I interpreted MB’s words to mean that Molson has informed him that Gomez will play in Montreal this year.

We must also be under the cap b4 the season opens, which means the Gomez decision must be considered b4 the season opens if we are to be able to add the hulking dman that we desperately need.

I can’t help thinking that Gomez is the real reason we are not signing Jagr, and that makes me physically ill.

j.p. murray

• habstrinifan says:

On the 1st day of free-agency, caught up in the excitement, I was ok signing Jagr for say 3 mill. But I am glad we didnt. Very glad.

• SmartDog says:

That’s not what he said though. He said I’m not buying him out. And that’s smart. We don’t want his cap hit dragged over FOUR years. Even at “just” 2.5 million. He’s gotta be worth his salt or GONE which means Hamilton. Toronto did it, New York did it. Montreal can and will do it now that there’s REAL management in place. Bergevin unlike Gauthier has an obvious passion for winning. He sees it like we see it. And he knows Molson has the money to bury Gomez. He’s not going to say “okay I brought in all these character guys to fix the character problem, but I’ll just let that slacker Gomez stay, no problem”.

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habsguy says:

thats a pretty classless post !!!!!

• SmartDog says:

I disagree. Gomez has been shameful. Rather Gomez’s performance has been shameful. It’s not inappropriate to be outraged, or to express that outrage on a fan forum.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HardHabits says:

Gomez might suck but the initial comment by third generation haber was crass. He talks of the Habs being classy and then proceeds to sound off like a person devoid of any class.

• SmartDog says:

Do we all need to be as classy as we expect the Habs organization to be? Jeez I hope not! I just took at as being pissed off. Personally I’m over being pissed off at Gomez – at least until I see him float through another game – but I think every Habs fan has the right to be.
            ————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• RGM says:

I agree. I’ve given Gomez my fair share of shots over the past year and a bit, but to call him a piece of crap and all the other things that he can do behind the anonymity of a keyboard is beyond the pale.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• SmartDog says:

We all know my bias here. No-one is more disgusted with Gomez than me. But I figure it’s a rant. People sometimes rant.

And personally I would PAY to be given the opportunity to say to Gomez in person what I’ve said here.

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

8. SmartDog says:

I have to say I’m liking the Bergevin era. And it won’t take a contending team this year for me to keep liking it. What I love about Bergevin is that when he speaks he actually says things, and those things make sense. Everyone said how smart Gauthier was but he didn’t sound smart, he didn’t use the media in a smart way, he didn’t handle people in a smart way, and his hockey decisions speak for themselves (cough – Kaberle – cough).

When Bergevin spoke about Gomez yesterday and said “I’m not buying him out” I almost fell off my chair I laughed so hard. This is a very good message – a very SMART message. He’s saying a) buying him out is a stupid choice, it will hurt the team which we all know, but he’s also saying b) hey Scott, guess what – no free lunch! It’s a message to Gomez…. show up in great shape, play your ass onto the team, or you can ride the bus in Hamliton where they don’t care how big your bank account is because there’s no way I’m paying you to walk you slug. I’ll bury you in the minors if that’s what it takes to get you and your one goal a year off this team but I’m not going to handicap them more because of you by buying out your lazy ass.

By signing Armstrong Bergevin shows he’s a good opportunist. For a million bucks the guy’s a steal if her performs, and if not, it’s just one year. And he probably will. This is the kind of deal you want to see a GM make. They need to find bargains.

Bergevin also should be measured just as much by the things he HASN’T done as those he has. He hasn’t signed any stupid big contracts. He’s been clear and direct but hasn’t thrown anyone under the bus. And he’s not saying the purpose this year is to win a cup. He’s saying he’s going to fix the problem of grit and character, and he’s doing that.

I don’t know if this team will have THAT much more talent this year but I don’t care about that as much as I care that the assets on the team are managed well, that the valuable guys stay, that we pick up no more bad contracts, that there’s a vision that makes sense, not some ridiculous fantasy of dumping half a team and spending crazy money in silly season to try to buy a winner.

I don’t agree with everything he’s doing, but there’s nothing I strongly disagree with. The Robinson thing is a bit tough. But that’s letting his coach make coaching staff decisions, and that’s the right thing to do. (Right Pierre?)

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

9. LizardKing1967 says:

Repost from last night, as I see by all the comments, no one was paying attention.

Ok. Bear with me. I got so tired of hearing how “Ward” is better than price. “Rinne” is WAY better. “Quick” won a cup and he’s better, etc…etc…etc….
    Be patient and listen:

At 24 years old, price has played more games (271) than ALL of the following at the same age: Rinne (29 and at 250), Ward (27 when he did it), Miller (28), Quick (26 and at 249), Halak (27 and at 204). Only Fleury (25), Roy (24) and Brodeur (25) were close.

At 24 and after 271 games, his save PCT (.916) is BETTER than the following at a similar amount of GP’s: Halak (.918), Quick (.916), Brodeur (.914), Fleury (.907), Miller (.911), Ward (.903) and Roy (.897).

His GAA (2.56) after 271 GP’s is BETTER than the following at a similar amount of GP’s: Fleury (2.94), Miller (2.63), Ward (2.89) and Roy (2.84).

There are more stats we can look at, and if anyone comes out with another goalie to compare, let me know, but if you ask me, looking at these details, I say we have ourselves, what did Gainey call him?, a “THOUROBRED” on our hands.

Add to the fact that he has been on a VERY low scoring team for all but one of his 4+ seasons, he’s doing just fine.
    AND I would like to add the fact that we have locked him up through what is for most goalies the BEST years of their careers (ages 26 to 30).

Stop wishing he wasn’t here anymore. HE’S NOT GOING ANYWHERE AND HE SHOULDN’T.

OUR NEXT CUP COMES IN 2013-2014 WITH PRICE IN NETS BOYS (and girls).

Suck it up and enjoy the ride for crying out loud.

Price Halak Quick Roy Brodeur Fleury Miller Ward Rinne

Age 24 27 26 24 25 25 28 27 29
    GP 271 204 249 241 235 235 263 272 250
    Wins 124 109 131 133 119 111 146 138 138
    Losses 104 67 87 67 67 85 86 100 72
    Ties 35 21 25 41 49 39 31 23 26
    GAA 2.56 2.43 2.31 2.84 2.27 2.94 2.63 2.89 2.35
    PCT 0.916 0.918 0.916 0.897 0.914 0.907 0.911 0.903 0.921
    SO 16 22 24 12 22 15 12 12 25
    sorry spreadsheet looks out of sync, but I’m not a PC wiz. hope you all understand it.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

10. showey47 says:

About half a million more then i thought he would get. Good for him,he deserves it.

11. BeeGee says:

I’m not sure I like MB’s satisfaction… not enough scoring & too small on D for me. UFA window shopping and exploring possible trade options won’t do it. I would like MB to take a more decisive approach here. Agreed short term solutions are the way to go though. Oh and ‘Gomez is still a member of this team’… Really!?

• bangbang says:

I agree with alfieturcotte.Numbers never lie.

price is sooo good;without him weed be in last place-hey! we ARE in last place.

• lancerentzel64 says:

26 wins in 65 games last year sums up carey prices career up to now-Hype great marketing from the montreal canadians but a little in the way of substance that shows he is a great goal tender.
      in fact the statistics clearly show the opposite he is a mediocre goalie average 2 below average over 5 years of stats. His lateral movement is slow;his glove hand is slow,and in many games he appears lackadaisical. mentally he has demonstrated that he is not strong-snapping easily under pressure.People lie.NUMBERS NEVER LIE!!

• Phaneufalufagus says:

which numbers show his slow glove hand and his mental weakness again? I encourage you to read lizardkings posts below. Those numbers dont lie and have a very different opinion.

• Habs54 says:

Yes, shame on him for not scoring 50 goals and having 200 PM.

• As a huge fan of Carey Price I look at his play in 2010-11 as his potential for the future. Pretty sure the rest of the organization did the same. If they paid Price based on last season he would have made less this year lol. Why anyone would judge any player from last season is beyond my knowledge of the game? It was a complete and total waste of a season.

The only bonus was that everyone in the draft this past summer went defense and the Habs stacked up on good forwards (on paper).

They Call Me Shane
        “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
        Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

12. Phaneufalufagus says:

I’m about to spew blasphemy all over this joint, you have been warned. Based on what im seeing and hearing from the GM, unless something blows MB out of the water, i dont see us adding any other significant pieces. Also, im going to go ahead and predict that the new CBA will not include a buyout option, and also im going to assume that the Habs will not send Gomez to Hamilton. Why? Habs are classy like that. Dont get me wrong, if we can dump him on a team looking to meet cap floor, you do it, but theres a distinct chance that Molson doesnt want to watch 7+ million of cap space sit in the press box.
    Well great, here we are, another season, and still +1 Alaskan. How will this work? I’ll tell you. You break up the Desharnais line.
    Put the knife down and hear me out! its all about balance. You slide Eller into our top six, but not at wing.
    Cole – Plekanec – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Eller – Desharnais
    You now have two legit scoring lines who are responsible defensively. Patches and DD still have their connection offensively and DD was very effective on the wing the season before last, Pleks gets decent wingers and Eller gets top six minutes. everyone wins.
    What does that do to our bottom six? Glad you asked.
    Moen – Gomez – Bourque
    White – Nokalainen – Prust
    This actually give Gomez a chance to be productive again. You know who wins when Gomez is productive? Everyone except the team who subsequently accepts him in trade. He gets two big bodies, one of which who goes to the net, the other is kind of a floater with a good shot so Gomers dopey drop passes can actually be put to use. ill let you guess which one is which.
    Armstrong becomes our 13th man who you put in on White’s and Prusts’ wing when you really want to piss a team off (Toronto, Boston, Philly) they wont win a damn faceoff, but will be very physical.
    On D
    Subban – Gorges
    Markov – Emelin
    Boullion – Kaberle
    Diaz
    I actually like our personnel for the most part going into the season, and this totally insulates our kids, lets them do their thing in Hamilton.
    Sorry about the novel, but there you have it. Our next season.

• jols101 says:

Great Post. We only have 8.8 million left to spend and we still have to sign Subban and Eller. I guess we are going to sign Diaz as well??? There might be .25 cents left when all is said and done. Not good considering the owners are going to demand a better split in revenue for the new CBA and the salary cap will probably come down by several million. Bergevin et al are going to have to put on their thinking caps to dump some contracts somewhere cause this just doesn’t add up…

13. Kfourn says:

Great signing! Man I’m glad we locked this talented kid up. Now onto PK…

What I would also like to see is a big, crease clearing Dman now.

How about Milan Jurcina?

6’4” , 253 Lbs and signed a 1 million contract last season for the Islanders…and he hits like a freight train.

Edit: He signed that contract in 2010 and is now UFA

14. PrimeTime says:

Price haters will always be Price haters. Luckily for us they do not make or have any influence on team decisions. MB is trying to build a championship team and a young strong goalie is key. He is as good as any other young goalie in the league. Has he accomplished what Roy and Dryden did? No and not many have. Is Carey good enough to help a championship team? Yes in the opinion of any GM in the league. Those that disagree really believe they know better? Get real people……try being honest with yourself as to why you hate Price. You really believe the Habs could have won a cup with any other goalie since he joined the team? Your buddy Halak didn’t and still didn’t with a much stronger team in St.Louis last year than Price has ever had. Hate away people….you can enjoy it for at least the next 6 years!!

• English is not a Crime says:

In fairness, Price is only 24 and Dryden wasn’t even in the NHL until he was turning 25 so anything up until now would be compared to Dryden’s years in college etc. Also in fairness, price doesn’t have the 70s Habs in front of him or Scotty behind the bench, or Pollock in the GM’s chair either.

15. Brian says:

The moves made so far have me excited about next season, I just hope they get a new CBA as quickly as possible, and I hope it has an NBA-like amnesty clause.

16. ooder says:

i have no problem LL playing a bit in Hamilton.. this will help him get to know all the budding young guys who will join him, and be the future of the habs.
    Man i realize how much of a saving grace trevor timmins is.
    also is there any update on Kristo.. is he coming to hamilton or what?

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• ooder says:

nevermind i just realised he is going back to complete his education and play out his final year at North Dakota..hmm i hope this guy is then ready to make the big club right out of university, cuz by then he will be 23 already

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

17. Marc10 says:

So the Price is right (Ding! Had to say it…)

On Jagr, not so much. If he really wants to play for the Habs, he should give us a discount and play for one year. Say $3.3mil.

Otherwise it’s really about the money and not about Montreal at all… But thanks for using us as bait, eh.

18. habsgod says:

can anyone here please help me with a few stats on carey price? what i want to know is where he ranks on our habs in wins already( i think he’s in the top 10 or higher already but i could be wrong) shutouts, and sv% gaa and how he compares to some of the other greats at the same age like brodeur,roy dryden, and how long it took roy,brodeur and others his age to win a 100 games before they were 24 ! i think price was one of the fastest to hit hit that mark

• Habilis says:

Select goalies from the pulldown menu.

For the record he’s currently 9th in all time wins for the Habs. If they play 82 games next season he should get to 7th.

• habsgod says:

thank-you for this habilis!

• PureGuava says:

Wow, by the time this contract is half over, Price will be the all-time leader in losses for a Canadiens goalie.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
        - Robert Anton Wilson

• Chuck says:

Hey, how about that!

But he’s still got a LONG way to go before he reaches Martin Brodeur’s all-time-NHL record (and still counting) of 462 losses. Man, with that number of losses, he’s gotta be awful!

Price is just going to have to buckle down and try harder. Heck, he’s not even in the top 50!

___________________________________________________

• Habilis says:

Yeah it’s almost unfair to compare his stats to guys like Dryden and Plante, I mean just look at Dryden’s W-L ratio. Insane.

Edit: Plus Carey won’t get the benefit of any ties so his OT loss total will undoubtedly reflect that.

• Chuck says:

The scary thing about Dryden’s stats is that he lost 89 games in his entire career–regular season AND playoffs. That’s in 7 full regular seasons and 8 playoff runs.

Over his career, for every 15 losses, he won a Stanley Cup.

Just think about that for a moment.

Apply that ratio to Martin Brodeur, and by now he should have won 30 Stanley Cups. :)

___________________________________________________

• LizardKing1967 says:

check my post below for some comparible stats.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

19. habs_54321 says:

so whats left to do this off-season??

from what i can quickly draw up their isn’t much almost everything has been covered already and its only day 2 of free agency!!!!

1. Sign PK!,,,,, will be done he’s RFA no worries term and salary is the question mark

2. find second line winger,. Way i see it is their is multiple scenarios

A. Signing doan or jagr have to be the best case scenario here both players bring proven production, leadership, and have ties to key players on the team (price and plekanec)

B. Plan B can be to sign a player of lesser calibre but with production potential many suitors available a few of note are Steve sullivan(perfect fit is a definate stopgap), brunette, huselius, holmstrom, kotalik, AK47…., sykora, langenbrunner, semin??

C. Trading depth at Center and D for wing position. IMO we are over deep at D and C positions right now, Weber, diaz and kaberle are tradeable assets while we have somewhat a logjam of second line centers borderline number 1 centers,

to many trading targets to list a few are the usual bobby ryan, evander kane, nash, patrick kane?? although these are unlikely scenarios.. more reasonable targets are Paajarvi from EDM (Diaz for paajarvi??), Hemsky, umberger, marleau, chris stewart,

D. Plan D is to be steady as she goes and hope bourque will be the top six forward he once was plan b from their is leblanc/gallagher this situation can get messy if injuries pile up in the top six.

discuss?

20. db says:

I’m a fan of Doan’s… I think he would look awesome alongside Pleks and Gionta. He could give round out a pretty solid group of forwards. If he’s available Juy 9th… what would it take? 3-4 years @ 4 mil?

I’d go for it.. and eventually dump Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque (although if he returns to form he could be a strong asset).

I’d prefer Doan over Jagr…

21. sreuel says:

It has been written and said the habs are done this is the team look at there web site

22. Bill says:

Late night thoughts:

Prost is definitely a 4th liner guys, salary doesn’t matter. Moen is the third-line LW because he’s the better player. 4th line doesn’t mean unimportant. It means ten minutes a game instead of twelve.

Armstrong on the other hand seems meant for the third line. His career offensive numbers are not far off those of Hudler, interestingly.

You know, if I’m Bergevin, I wouldn’t sign anyone else. With the uncertainty over the next CBA, I don’t think you want to commit to a lot of major deals right now and cap yourself out for years to come.

The three guys they signed make the team a lot harder to play against, and give the offensive players room. We’ve got an excellent goalie and great prospects coming up.

If a trade arises, that could be an option.

• Bigdawg says:

I’m agree with all you said but with one caveat: I’d look for a potential second liner on the cheap willing to go with a 1 or max 2 year term.

It would be hard to find someone that fits that bill as most top 6 UFAs want more term…..Huselius or even maybe bring AK (at a cheaper rate than last year) for one year?

Like Armstrong a gamble with limited risk. If it pans out and he play well we still have room to bring in a real impact player via a trade at the deadline.

• twilighthours says:

I think Prust can slide up to 3rd line when required and not look out of place.

I would like the habs to take a flyer on an offensive player as a potential top 6 in case bourque can’t do the job. I actually think bork will rebound. Heck I was willing to give gomer another chance, gotta do the same for bork bork bork.

• rhino514 says:

So we paid 2,5 mil for a fourth liner and 1 mil for a third liner?
      I agree that it´s probably best to wait until the CBA issue is clearer and these moves are good insurance against the team not finding a grade A second liner. Well, insurance isn´t quite the right word, they are decent gambles. However, I still don´t think Bourque will have good chemistry with Plekanec, and see us having difficulty in having two consistent scoring lines. I think it´s a pity because Pleks could have a really good year with two good wingers and the team would almost assuredly in such a case make the playoffs with relative ease.
      And the difference between a third liner and a fourth liner is not two minutes. A third line on a really good team can have guys at around the 0.5 points per game mark, and the guys will be closer to fifteen minutes a night in icetime

23. durocher says:

The 2012-2013 roster, as it currently stands, in my view:

Patches-DD-Cole
    ? – Pleks-Gio
    Moen-Eller-Prust
    Armstrong-White-Dumont
    Extra: Nokia, Blunden

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin
    Cube- ?
    Extra: St-Denis

Buy-out, in Hamilton, or trade (if Gainey becomes GM of another team): Gomer, Kaberle
    Trade “bait”: Bourque, Diaz, Weber

• Bill J says:

Gainey is employed by the Dallas Stars.

And currently 4 teams are under the cap floor. This upcoming year, is the first of the “cheap” years for Gomez. Makes him a bit more attractive, if that’s at all possible.

Most Gomez can veto is 3 teams, Never know! :D

• Cal says:

Bergevin has said he will not buy out Gomez, so he could be a Hamilton Bulldog come October, but not before.

• Phil C says:

I don’t like Emelin on the right side. I would put Gorges with Markov and Subban with Emelin. Gorges did well playing on the right side when he was paired with Gill a few years back.

24. Gerry H says:

Well, the Draft and initial run of free agent signings are all smoking along nicely and the team is looking pretty dang good. I think there’s a good, competent core with a few budding stars and even a handful of buns in the oven (plus the development support team to make sure they turn out right). Carey got a hair more money than I expected, but then the term is more favourable than I’d hoped. If PK comes in under reasonable terms, and that could take a while because I think it will be influenced by the Suter/Allen/Carle deals, then I think the new team will have earned a rock solid A on the their first big test.

What’s actually motivated me to post, however, is something completely unrelated to the Habs. Martin Brodeur’s deal, like the whole Ilya Kovalchuk extravaganza last summer, bugs me. Here we have a team that has not been able to pay its bills, despite enjoying outstanding on-ice success and a hockey-friendly market, making lavish, rule-stretching contract offers while the league pays its creditors. There is even talk that they are going to throw a massive deal at Parise.

This is nuts. The owners are about to risk (to some degree) a stoppage at a time when the market is growing nicely, in order to take a bite out of the player’s share of revenues. Given that 50% would only put them in line with two of the three other major pro team sports, it’s a reasonable ask. But throwing out that ask, while playing a direct role in driving up player costs at the very same time, makes no damn sense.

25. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I like the Price signing. He is a decent goalie – overrated? Maybe. But he is a top ten NHL goalie at 24, and that remains interesting. Just forget he’s paid in dollars and call them points, and live with it.

Is he good enough for his percentage of the payroll? Over six years, probably. Now, based on what he does out there, he is overpaid. But he has shown an ability to learn and adjust, and he should settle into the top 5 for a while. So it’s a sensible deal. he is not the best goalie in the league, but he may settle in as one of the elite group soon.

Jagr would be fun to see as a Hab, but not for his asking percentage of the payroll. He’s too old. For 2 mill, great. For 4, crazy. I like the way Bergevin is negotiating, as Jagr is still a good businessman.

I see a minor trade for a number six d-man. I see Gionta bouncing back with 25 and Bourque coming out of his wtf haze and potting about the same. If Markov can skate, that’s a boost for the powerplay. It’s not awful. It’s a 7th place team now. If Price raises his game, maybe even 5th.

I’d like to see another scorer. Who wouldn’t? But there is serious talent on the farm, and it’s on it’s way. It’s not the time to be tied down with expensive Samsonov luggage. I just hope Gomez goes back to Morticia, soon. She will appreciate him.

26. chelseafan says:

At 2.5 a year, looks like Prust is to play on the third line. With that, LL might spend some time in Hamilton. 3rd line- Bourque-Eller-Prust. Although, if we don’t get a 2nd line LW, Bourque will get the shot to earn that spot.

27. Mattyleg says:

Evenin’ all,
    Great to see Carey back with a long-term contract so he can focus on his game and toward building a Cup team from the crease out.

Pricetag pretty much what I expected… bang on.

Keep up the good work, Bergie, you’re firing on all pistons, m’man!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. Chuck says:

So it’s ‘official’ that Jagr wants to play here, but wants $4 million for the season? We’ll take you, but only at $3 million. Bergeron’s in a position to out-wait Jagr on this.

___________________________________________________

• SlovakHab says:

4M is marginally acceptable. Why wait and lose out on the only top-6 winger that our team can sign in the off-season?

• Mattyleg says:

Echhhh… I’m so wary of Jagr.
        He’s so… what’s that word again… mercurial?
        We’ve had our share of players like that in the past. Don’t need them now.
        I can’t imagine Bergie filling a roster spot with a one-year veteran rental. Especially if he’s trying to build a feeling of responsibility, dedication, and passion.

The only passion Jagr ever had was for his paycheck.
        When I lived in Poland during the lockout, Jagr was ALL OVER EVERY newspaper and magazine in the Czech Republic. Then at Christmas he turned around and told his team that he was effing off to Russia to play for the big bucks (roubles). When the entire Czech nation said “but… why???” he said, and I pretty much quote:
        “Well, I never said I was going to play here for the WHOLE season…”

That’s really stuck with me as the epitome of doucheyness.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Un Canadien errant says:
        • awesomerino says:

I’m not buying any of this. Jagr was uniformly excellent in Pittsburgh and New York, his “off-years” in Washington were still better than a point-per-game in the dead puck era, and he posted almost all of his best numbers during seasons in which Lemieux was either injured, retired, or not on his team. Moreover, he’s been universally praised by players, coaching staff, and media members alike in Philly for his insane work ethic and mentorship of emerging stars like Claude Giroux.

He’s got two Cups and 189 points in 180 playoff games. He’s still playing at 40. He’s easily one of the 5 best forwards of all time. Love to have him play a season or two in Montreal.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Easily one of the top 5 best forwards of all time? Not so easy with the likes of Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur, Bossy, Bobby Hull, Brett Hull, Messier, Esposito!

• SlovakHab says:

Many Slovak and Czech players have done it, not just Jagr.
          You have to take in account not just money, but also the culture of hockey in Czech Republic and Slovakia.
          When Hossa played in my hometown during the lockout, he was abused as hell by the fans. these players played at home for 10% of their NHL salary, and yet didn’t get a very good treatment.

Jagr is a pro and would be a really good fit with plekanec and a good mentor to Pacioretty, although he already has Cole on another wing.

Better to sign an experience, legendary veteran for 1 year than sign an average player (Borque, Parenteau, Hudler… type) for multiple seasons and then have a problem when Leblanc, Gallagher, Holland or any other young winger is ready to graduate.

29. habsavvy says:

Jokinen just signed with Winnipeg.
    damn! I was hoping habs would grab him. he can definitely score and a big center.
    MB is missing out.
    snoozing and losing.

30. frontenac1 says:

Jols!Homeboy Erskine! Been sayin” it for Months Now!! Nobody ,I mean nobody would screw around in Carey”s paint!! 1.5 mill. One year left. McPhee might just nibble some of that Swiss cheese! Hola!!

31. Mad Habber says:

For defensive defenseman on the market..
    how about Boris Valabik

[i]“Don’t let the birthday fool you, this guy is anything but a sweetheart. In fact, he might be the meanest European defenseman to ever come over to the OHL. He uses his body well and is a fearsome fighter. He can make a good first pass and has decent shot selection. Has a good slapshot, but rarely uses it.
    Weaknesses include mobility, puckhandling, and discipline.” [/i]

Mind you I think the above insert was before he ever played in the NHL. From what I can tell, his skating is a big issue. At 6’7 he defintely has size, probably is bottom 6 to 8th d-man but his size would be nice to have for goouins.

There is also Colin White, Mark Eaton, Kurt Suaer, Randy Jones, Milan Jurcina all are considered defensive dman though all of them come with question marks.

VS Thornton

Bergevin leaking out today that he met with Jagr’s people and it isn’t a fit is perfect. Jagr is using the passion of Hab fans to negotiate with comments coming out like “He wants to play in Montreal” . The way I see it, MB is sayin’ don’t jerk my chain, if you want to play in Montreal you know the terms we can do, if not go play somewhere else and don’t use our team as a negotiating tool anymore.

33. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

IF IT WAZ UP 2 U:

Trade the Swiss guys for Erskine, or sign Hannan?

One delivers an asset at the cost of a liabillity, but the other is easier

34. Bill J says:

I havta say, I thought for sure H I/O would crash when this contract came up when thinking of the things said in recent years here.

Only 400+ posts so far, times have changed…

• Chuck says:

Summer vacations, I guess… :)

___________________________________________________

As it relates to PK negotiations. JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs Bergevin says talks w/ Subban’s agent Don Meehan that began before the draft will resume soon. Meehan’s been tied up with UFA clients.

Or we can believe talks are going bad or he is going to Boston. I’ll take Bergevin at his word.

• Dave Stubbs says:

I spoke with Don Meehan last Friday. He told me that P.K. and his parents would be dropping into Meehan’s Newport offices last weekend to discuss their thoughts, after which formal talks – by phone and in person, Meehan believed – would begin with Bergevin, he expected this week.

Earlier discussions with Bergevin were simply to talk about parameters for the contract talks, Meehan told me.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
      Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
      • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
      • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

Thanks Dave, and thanks again for the Robinson piece, you’ve provided us with some wonderful reading this summer (ie. Gill and Spacek interviews).

CHeers.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Wow, now that’s directly from the horse’s mouth!

• habstrinifan says:

Dave those ‘parameters’ and the ‘tone’ mentioned in the earlier telephone conversations have P.K’s dad more involved in the discussions than he would have been. And I am not being a fear mongerer here.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

We all know Timmins is good at discovering late rounders that everyone else missed.

But this is impressive.

He found Bozon weeks before CERN!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

37. Un Canadien errant says:

In thinking about acquisitions for a term longer than next season, it’s important to note that the Canadiens don’t have any major contracts expiring in July 2013, but do have Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais needing to sign a RFA contract then.

The Canadiens only have $8 million to spare this season with P.K. Subban, Lars Eller and Raphaël Diaz yet to sign. Only if as expected the Canadiens bury Scott Gomez in the minors do we get another $7.3 million of salary cap room to play with. And that’s if the next CBA doesn’t contain some draconian reductions in cap room, as Gary Bettman has hinted at. So we need to be leery of adding any more contracts that go beyond this season.

• ooder says:

isn’t the salary cap going up this season?

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Un Canadien errant says:

It has, to $70.2 million, but Gary Bettman did some sabre-rattling this winter and warned GM’s not to go crazy on July 1, because they wouldn’t necessarily get a rollback and a buyout period with the new CBA as they did with the last one. There has been speculation the cap could be lowered and GM’s would have to deal with it as is.

The NFL had an ‘uncapped’ year when their CBA expired two seasons ago, but Roger Goodell warned teams to not exceed the previous year’s cap and front-load contracts to get around subsequent caps. The Redskins and Cowboys got huge penalties when they were judged to have done just that. How that was an uncapped year is questionable, and the NFLPA is taking the matter to the courts, but Gary Bettman is taking a page from Roger Goodell’s playbook, telling owners and GM’s what’s what before the next CBA is even negotiated.

• HFX-HabFan says:

$5mil coming off the books next summer (if not sooner), and it’s likely the cap will go up again next year. I think they’ll be okay- if Gomez is buried in the minors, I should think that both MaxPac and DD will be extended during the season.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Those are small contracts on role players that will be replaced by the same contracts to other role players, plus Max and David, so there is a net gain in salary mass for next season barring trades.

38. Hobie Hansen says:

Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty
    Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Moen-Eller-Armstrong
    Prust-Nokelainen-White

Gorges-Subban
    Emelin-Markov
    Kaberle-Bouillon

Price
    Budaj

Scratches: Diaz, Leblanc, Gallagher

There’s ALWAYS injures, hopefully less next year, so the young guys will get a shot.

That’s the way I’d go. Stanley Cup contender, no, better than last, for sure.

• chanchilla says:

so wait, instead of giving leblanc and gallagher top line minutes in hamilton, youre gonna have them sit in the pressbox?!? are you out of your mind, it’s ridiculous how many posts i see like this.

• alfieturcotte says:

Totally agree – these posts are absurd. Nokelainen was awful last year. Moen is a 4th liner. Eller needs talented wingers, not plumbers. At least Leblanc and Gallagher would create a line that had a decent shot of scoring some goals from time to time.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m under the assumption that since Nokelainen was just signed that Bergevin is interested in seeing him in the lineup.

And yes, I do want Leblanc and Gallagher to play and as I mentioned they most definitely will because at the minimum there will be injuries. They could also play their way onto the starting lineup in the fall.

That is the safe bet lineup that I can see Therrien going with in order win games rather than work in rookies. I’m sure there will be plenty of changes.

And feel free to post the lineup that you think we’ll see hit the ice on opening night and I”ll gladly place a sportsman’s bet on mine being closer to correct when it rolls around.

• chanchilla says:

it’s not a problem if they get called up, having them as healthy scratches is just absurd, which is what you posted. learn the difference between healthy scratches and call ups, dustin penner was a healthy scratch last year for part of the season, louis leblanc and brendan gallagher are both under 20, theres no reason to sit them in the press box and destroy any progression they would have.

39. alfieturcotte says:

How Price gets a 6 year $39MM deal for only one good season (2011), 2 below average seasons (2009 and 2010) – where recall he lost the starting job to Halak, and one average season (2012) leaves me puzzled. To boot, he has never performed well in the playoffs, when it counts most. I don’t see how he is deemed to be more valuable than a Conn Smythe and Vezina winner. Oh yes, he was awarded the First team all Star once…….

Price is now overpaid, which is a good fit with his overrated stature as the “thoroughbred” awarded to him by the “genial” duo of Gainey/Gauthier.

The ballsy move would have been to give him arbitration and trade him. The return would have far outweighed the benefit.

I hope I am proven wrong someday, but for now, chalk up another bad move by Bergevin.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Price was never named a First Team All-Star. You’ll have to try harder.

• alfieturcotte says:

2009……fans voted him in.

• HFX-HabFan says:

That’s called “all-star starter”, not a “First Team All-Star”.

First and Second Team All-Stars are announced at the NHL awards show after the season ends.

• alfieturcotte says:

Ok, hopefully you absorbed the point I tried to make nonetheless.

• Bill J says:

Well no Alfie, since Price went to the All-Star game 3 times in 5 seasons.

Wanna gripe about something else now ?

• alfieturcotte says:

Bill – All Star Games mean very little, especially when they are voted in by fans. Yes, as a message board, I can gripe or praise when I feel like it. The move is not praise worthy, it’s gripe worthy. And you Bill, should know better. You certainly aren’t shy about sharing your views, which you can (though most are kind of bad).

• Bill J says:

Alfie, this will be my last reply… But to thank you, as everything YOU say is often backwards and Eklund’ish. So to say my opinions are wrong, coming from you … It’s a compliment.

Cheers! :)

• alfieturcotte says:

I get it Bill J – you think Carey Price should make more than a Conn Smythe and Vezina winner. He is that good, that he DESERVES to be the 3rd highest paid goalie in the NHL. The only thing backwards, is that opinion of yours.

• Un Canadien errant says:

“Thoroughbred” was used by Michel Therrien to describe P.K. Subban at the press conference announcing his hire. But close though.

• Habilis says:

Bad move? There are probably 25 GM’s out there who would jump at the chance to have Price locked up for 6 years at 6.5mil. Salaries don’t go down, they go up. In three years this contract will be middle of the pack for elite goaltenders. In five it will be a flat out bargain.

• alfieturcotte says:

Funny, in 5 it will be a bargain. Today, is is grossly overpaying for reputation, not results.

Let’s hear it Price lovers, please explain how he gets that kind of do re mi, on “potential”. Too funny, yet completely absurd.

• Habilis says:

If you think that this contract was based on his “potential” then you’re just closing your eyes to reality. Price is easily among the top 10 goalies in the league right now. Everyone in hockey knows that which is why nobody is saying that this is a bad deal. Except you. I guess you know something everyone else doesn’t though.

• alfieturcotte says:

I am not the only holder of this opinion about Price. There are several others who share this view. Those that don’t, are rewarding a goalie who has little to show for the salary he just received.

Give me a less overrated goalie (not anointed savior, actually had to work for results), and he could put up numbers like price at 1/6 of the salary.

• CanadienBoy says:

U the bad move

• Mark C says:

haha. I feel bad for you.

• RGM says:

Thanks for the chuckle.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• LizardKing1967 says:

where do you get “below average” seasons?
      see my post below for some comparisons to other goalies his age (and there are really none). Also, his combined stats for the two seasons (the stats that COUNT): GAA 2.79 SV PCT .908.
      Those are numbers to be happy with from a 21 year old.
      Don’t always look at the wins and losses. Goalies are only as good as the team in front of them in the end.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

40. Chris says:

Good signing for an appropriate amount of money.

I think that 2012-13 could be another lean year for the Habs as they haven’t really done anything to shore up their offence. Instead, it seems that they are banking on boosts from Markov and Gionta returning form injury and a return to form for Plekanec and Bourque.

That’s probably not a bad bet, but I’m not sure it will be enough to get the team into a good playoff seeding unless they miraculously suffer no injuries again as happened in 2007-08.

Still, should be an interesting season!

41. aj says:

Interesting comment by Bergevin about NOT interested in signing Jagr or Semin. It looks like he’s fully committed to top young talent. Its pretty much Bergevin’s decision is highly influenced from the lessons he learned when he was still in Chicago – http://watch.tsn.ca/tsnradio-montreal/#clip713405

42. carey price ‏@CP0031
    Je suis très excité pour les 6 prochaines années!! Thank you for all the support!

43. Captain aHab says:

This was a weird day. Why would you set up a presser before finalizing the details of what you want to announce? Either they had messed up on Price’s contract or there was something else going on.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Malreg says:

Maybe they were waiting for the league to approve the contract before announcing it? Lord knows they’re flooded with contracts at this time of year…

44. habstrinifan says:

Hope you wll forgive for reposting the following in light of the mention of John Scott or Scott Hannan to shore up our defense.

Our defense as it might look:
    ======================================
    PK-Gorges
    Markov-Emelin
    Karberle-Franky
    Diaz-Weber”

Dont you feel just a tad queasy now?????

But I am sure MB is working on it.

My candidates:

Scott Hanann from Calgary or

Kent Huskins from St. Louis
    (before you say NO look at his plus minus) or

Bryce Salvador from NJ bu for only 1 yr
    (l am lukewarm re his probable price) or

Steve Eminger from NYR
    only problem is he shoots right but this guy is surging up career wise

I only looked at UFA’s who arent too expensive.
    I didnt look at Defenders under contract that we could trade for
    ======================================
    I think all of the above are still available.

45. third generation haber says:

Jagr has made it official that he wants to play for the habs and is currently training in Montrea. Problem is he wants 4mil for one season.

Why can’t we afford this????

One possible reason is that we are planning to play Gomez in Montreal this year. Molson is the only person who might want this.

Jagr could end up in Boston or Toronto this season and really make us pay. I want to see this legend play for the club de hockey Canadiens.

j.p. murray

• Bill J says:

He made it official last year too, then proceeded to sign with the Flyers.

My best guess as to why we are not rushing to bid on him.

• Jim Edson says:

It’s all about the money with this guy!

Money and the closest Casino!

———————————————————————-
        What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• mrhabby says:

MB said they talked to Jagr but now have no interest. Jagr wants 4m for 1year.

• D Mex says:

He got 3.3M last season and started to run out of gas about 3/4 of the way thru the season. He was running on ‘E’ in the playoffs.
      - How does this, combined with him being a year older now, translate to him getting a raise of 700K here, or anywhere ?

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Phil C says:

Jagr is intriguing given his past success with Plekanec. If he gets in shape he could have a Ray Whitney/Teemu Selanne type year. Bob Mackenzie said Jagr looked out of gas in the playoffs, but he still managed 8 points in 11 games. He would be great on the power play which would really help the Habs. If I were Bergevin, I would be seriously tempted. It’s not very often you get a chance to sign one of the best ever at his position.

I was really inpressed to read an article about how he would get the keys to the practice rink in Philly to get in extra ice time late at night and that this kind of example had a positive impact on some of the younger players. http://www.nesn.com/2011/10/jaromir-jagr-has-been-putting-in-midnight-practices-calling-it-jagr-hockey-school.html

Picking up Jagr would only make sense if they are unable to make a trade or free agent signing to improve their top six in the long term.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We saw Mr. Jagr last year say whatever was necessary to entice bidders and raise demand for his services, but eventually sign in Philly, to the outrage of the twice-jilted Pittsburgh fans. So now he’s again doing and saying all the right things, trying to sweet-talk the forward-with-talent-needy Canadiens with the tantalizing prospect of his chemistry with Czech national team linemate Tomas Plekanec, and his decision to train in Montréal this summer.

Mr. Jagr would indeed fill a short-term need on the second line, but Mr. Bergevin seems resolute in his statement of non-interest, like the guy at the bar who steadfastly refuses to dance with the drunk but kind of hot crazy chick. Not at $4 million a season he won’t.

• boing007 says:

Mr. Bergevin was resolute about Jagr, but then let himself be conned by Price and his agent.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Disagree. Going rate for a topflight goalie approaching his peak years. The Leafs would have paid that and more and Brian Burke’s left testicle, except they can’t, but they wish they could. We have our goalie, we’re keeping him, winning, duh.

46. JayK-47 says:

I was wondering what the Habs options were if PK was sent an offer sheet and if it was sent by a horrible team (edm, cbj, nyi), should they turn around and offer sheet Shea Weber?

anyways, it led me to this site and it has some pretty good info.

• habstrinifan says:

I was looking too. I dont think the compensation, if a GM really believes in P.K’s potential for offering him a @5mill contract is frightening. Anything over 6.7 mill would be.. but staying under that and you really giving up a 1st rnd and a 2nd and a 3rd MAX. If you really see him as being an elite D-MAN then it aint bad.

47. aemarchand11 says:

Shane Doan, i wonder if that could work. I would think he would be more interested in Winnipeg, then coming here to deal with the questions of his “French” comments from years ago… Yes the ones taking out of context and blown out of proportion.. I think he would be a PERFECT fit, but it will cost at minimum 5M for 2 years or so. Big bodied leader who would be a perfect fit in the top 6.

We all know Gomez will not start the season in Montreal so we can put away 7.3 million, and have it ready to put to good use to a impact player.

• Un Canadien errant says:

his “French” comments from years ago…

That’s an awkward way to phrase it. It was a matter of ethnic slurs directed at francophone referees during a game. It’s now accepted that the incident occurred but Shane Doan wasn’t involved, and he reacted strongly when he was later implicated by Federal Cabinet Minister Denis Coderre.

Mr. Doan was a little bit the author of his own misery, as he refused to explain to what had actually happened, just denied the accusation and threatened legal action. While it was a good thing to do in order to not implicate his culpable teammate(s), it was not exactly the kind of reaction that dimmed the spotlight trained on him.

• winnipeg hab fan says:

With Jokinen going to Winnipeg – Doan now to Montreal? Would be a great fit

2013 will be a very good year . . .

48. habstrinifan says:

For those of you calling Larry Robinson “coy’ re the assistant job. While Lou did not stand in Larry’s way, Bergevin was being very honourable and decent and waited until end of June (especially did not approach during NJ cup run). But HABS knew re Larry’s interest and Bergevin was being careful not to contact Larry nor Daigneault… until the last minute. The decision unfortunately was rushed on him. Obviously by MT. The storm damage did provide a perfect opportunity for MT.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That would be me. Reading the article, I do not get the same sense that he wanted the job as much as Patrice Brisebois did his, or Pierre McGuire did the job he was applying. Both of those guys were quite clear and overt in their intentions, as opposed to Larry, whose explanation that he’s busy moving and cleaning out after the storm verges on the ‘my cellphone died’ excuse to the girlfriend territory.

We both are big fans of Larry, we both wanted him behind the bench, but the stars didn’t align when Michel Therrien was named GM. We saw it coming, and Larry is being diplomatic about not jumping at the chance to come back.

Having Larry as our defenceman coach seemed like such a good fit, but it never clicked. We’re like the couple of singles that friends are always trying to fix up, they seem like a great match and would be a great couple, but one is always involved or just starting to date someone else when the other is single.

• habstrinifan says:

I am ready to give JJ a real chance. I wrote two glowing posts about JJ Daigneault so I like his hire. I just dont like the ‘appearance’ that MT is doing some ‘push-back’ to assert his power.

When you look at it realistically, JJ right now may be a better hire for the moment because JJ is younger and more fully involved in the ‘hockey frame of mind’ at this stage of his life than Larry is.

I guess my angst is based on two issues today and from what I ‘know’ MT has his hands in both.

49. HFX-HabFan says:

Jokinen likely heading to Winnipeg

50. Thomas Le Fan says:

Signing Price has got to stand as a no-brainer. Lots of pieces falling in place but this rejigging still requires patience. We could easily make the playoffs if we’re not careful, however.

51. frontenac1 says:

Yeah,Scott Hannan might be interesting.Got size and experience and only made $1mill last year.Being a Kelowna Rocket you know he’s got the character. Anybody know how he looked last season? Would he be worth a shot for 1yr?

• habstrinifan says:

A L handed big mean fairly reliable guy like him would go a long way to filling the holes.

I posted two or three names yesterday who could help also.

• Mike D says:

He didn’t look good from what I remember but I wasn’t watching closely either. He’s not top-4 material anymore IMO but could be good insurance on a bottom pair/extra Dman sort of role.

While I’m not a huge fan of having the two small Swiss guys, maybe one or both can show some real value this year and become a better trading chip.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

52. HABZ24 says:

Awesome deal we need the price chopper stopper if we want a cup!!

53. Sir.Plekers says:

Very good!Still need a dam 2nd line winger though.If we dont get one this will not be a GREAT year but still lots of time.

SIR PLEKERS

54. Bill says:

Good signing on Price: great term, Price giving away a few UFA years there, which is very good for the Habs.

I’m sorry, but it’s stupid to criticize his ability. The only people who do that are the types who believe there is some “mystical” quality attached to some goalies, i.e., some goalies “just will not allow a goal”. That is just not, well, sane.

A goalie is no different from a centre or even a running back or a javelin-thrower, why not. They’re athletes, and the difference between the good ones and the bad ones is a spectrum of performance. Price’s athletic ability at his particular position is obviously very high. It always has been, and always will be, unless he gets hooked on crack or something, which is obviously not happening.

Goalie is just this weird position where seemingly-rational people will decide there is something magical about it. You can’t evaluate athletes based on unreal supernatural powers. Get over it.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

Unfortunately, Carey Price will always be compared to Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy and Jaroslav Halak by Canadiens fans. Carey can never replicate the rookie success of Messrs Dryden and Roy, but he can go on a playoff tear and at least silence the ‘he’s no Halak’ volleys.

Fortunately for us, Carey’s pretty chill, so he looks like he will be able to ignore the significant minority that won’t be satisfied.

One facet of his game is that he is technically sound and large to the shooter, so his game isn’t as relentlessly spectacular as Jaro’s. Sure, he’ll make some acrobatic saves as the highlights show, but for him a 30-40 save game might yield one or two gems, with the rest being the product of good positioning, compared to Jaro in the 2009 run where every second save was a miracle.

Good contract, good news for the Canadiens, and my list gets a checkmark. Good day.

———————————————————————–
      June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
      June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
      June 2429: Travis Moen [x]
      June 2627: Mathieu Darche
      June 26: Ryan White
      June 30: Alexei Emelin
      July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
      July 3: Shane O’Brien
      July 52: Carey Price [x]
      July 9: P.K. Subban

55. LizardKing1967 says:

Be patient and listen:

Stop wishing he wasn’t here anymore. HE’S NOT GOING ANYWHERE AND HE SHOULDN’T.

OUR NEXT CUP COMES IN 2013-2014 WITH PRICE IN NETS BOYS (and girls).

Suck it up and enjoy the ride for crying out loud.

Price Halak Quick Roy Brodeur Fleury Miller Ward Rinne

Age 24 27 26 24 25 25 28 27 29
    GP 271 204 249 241 235 235 263 272 250
    Wins 124 109 131 133 119 111 146 138 138
    Losses 104 67 87 67 67 85 86 100 72
    Ties 35 21 25 41 49 39 31 23 26
    GAA 2.56 2.43 2.31 2.84 2.27 2.94 2.63 2.89 2.35
    PCT 0.916 0.918 0.916 0.897 0.914 0.907 0.911 0.903 0.921
    SO 16 22 24 12 22 15 12 12 25

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

56. habstrinifan says:

Darche tweets congrats to Price!

I remember someone wondering why Gionta had not tweeted congrats to any HABS but did to his brother.

Did Gionta tweet congratulations to Price yet?

Did Price’s ‘best friend’ on the team yet?

Hmmmm!

57. Habcouver says:

Well deserving. Montreal will always be the hockey hot bed and the home to the best team in professional sports. Price will add to the legend and prove that he belongs where he is.

Way to go, Carey. We’re cheering for you in B.C.!

Waiting patiently for #25

58. Hali_Hab says:

Man some of the comments on here regarding Prices abilities, line combinations and other things that reach into the realm of the bizarre are just laughable. One signing and all the trolls crawl out from under the bridge.
    It’s a good thing some people I here don’t have to take a hockey equivalent of the S.A.T’S because it would be a sad state of affairs.

59. HabFanSince72 says:

The Sabres have reacted to the Lucic/Miller incident from last year by signing John Scott and trading for Steve Ott (*).

Smart? No.

Will it mean Sabres – Bruins games are entertaining for the neutral? Heck yes.

(*) little known fact but ‘Ott’ is the most common answer in the NY Times crossword puzzle. However 100% of the time the clue refers to NY Giant slugger Mel Ott. Perhaps with Steve moving to NY State that will change?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

60. Phil C says:

The free agent situation with defensemen is interesting as the only top tier d-man to sign is Garrison. Matt Carle is waiting until Suter signs so that he can extract top dollar, and players like Salvador are waiting until Carle signs, and on down the list. The time after the tumbling of the Suter domino will be like a mini free agent frenzy.

It makes me wonder if the Habs are in play for any of the consolation prizes in the Suter Sweepstakes. I really think they need to add another top four defenseman, unless they plan to move Gorges to the right side and hope Emelin or Kaberle can step up to play top-four minutes. The problem with that is Kaberle looks like his best years are behind him, and Emelin struggled in his own end at times with faster players and may need another year to adapt to the NHL game before taking a top four role. I would rather see them sign another top four guy, then let Emelin fight for Gorges’ spot in the top four.

If a guy like Brendan Nash has a good camp, it could really create a logjam for the 5/6 pairing. Bergevin will have to start dealing which will be fun to watch.

61. Awesome news. Price is the man, now get him some decent friggin’ D so his stats will reflect it!

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.

62. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

How about Scott Hannan you guys???

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Here’s a telling fact.

In coming up with comparable goalies for Price you’ve named at most 6 others.

There are 30 teams.

Every team needs a number one goalie.

And there are 6 to 8, maybe 10 of Price’s calibre.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

64. hockeyscout101 says:

I still believe that Gomez will be dealt with prior to training camp and Bourque and Kaberle are not in the future plans for the Habs.

65. The Dude says:

The combined yearly payrole for :Scott Gomez :$7,357,143
    Andre Markov:5,750,000
    Tomas Plekanec:$5,000,000
    Brian Gionta:$5,000,000
    Eric Cole :$4,500,000
    Tomas Kaberle:$4,250,000
    Josh Gorges:$3,900,000
    Rene Borque:$ 3,333,333
    total per year: almost:$40,000,000 per season for those 8 athlete’s. I personally believe you could get a lot more bang for your buck. And how easy on paper to make the changes to get both Rick Nash and Parise.

• crabvader says:

There could definitely be some improvements made, but it’s a delicate matter, trying to unload some salary onto another team. Most GM’s are not fools and know when a salary dump is the goal of a transaction. They usually like to make the team making the dump pay by giving up some picks or prospects. That’s something I think the Habs don’t have the luxury of doing at this junction of the franchise’s direction.

• hockeyscout101 says:

I think that Gomez won’t be here for the start of the season. With regards to Bourque and Kaberle, they are tradeable you just need to find a dance partner. You wont get alot for them but at least their contracts off our cap.

• Bill J says:

14.8 Million on the axis of HabsEvil.

Gomez, Kaberle, Bourque

• mrhabby says:

i can see MB jettison Markov, Gionta, Kaberle and Gomez of that group and even Gorges for 1st and 2nd round pics …..exclude Gomez..

66. crabvader says:

Barring any freak injuries, Price will be one of the best goaltenders in the league for years to come. Good signing. Goaltenders are not a dime a dozen. Look at Chicago. They are struggling BIG TIME to stay a contender because of a lack of consistency between the pipes. I can say the exact same thing for Philly. We need guys who can steal games for us between the pipes and Price will do that on more than one occasion for us. He is a brilliant goaltender and his maturity is progressing and anyone who did not notice that with his play in nets needs to re-evaluate their assessment skills in goaltenders imo.

67. Toe Blake says:

Gomer for Parise straight up! Come on Lou, be a sport!!!

68. savethepuck says:

So glad our management appreciayes and realizes what we have between the pipes, unlike a few on here which I can’t understand. Based on other goalie salaries, it’s a good signing. Congrats Care

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

69. Trisdin says:

What a stupid choice of music for a tribute video, I’m shocked HIO would offer this for their members to view. Everyone knows Price is a country music fan, not saying that’s what should have been used, but definitely not gangster rap dropping “N” bombs every 10 seconds… disrespectful IMO.

As for naweed235, you obviously know nothing about obtaining, developing, and keeping quality goaltending. When you decided to read us your version of Carry’s resume, you forgot to mention his CHL goalie of the year honor, his WJC gold medal, and his Calder cup championship as a professional. If you don’t think that this is a great day for this organization, than you’re a .

I will rip into anyone who bashes my Canadiens, especially “habs fans”.

• Dulljerk says:

I don’t get your comment. What is your experience in obtaining, developing and keeping quality goaltending? And calling someone a moron is ridiculous. Grow up and be a real fan.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

70. frontenac1 says:

I agree commandant,Prust will help, it was the crease clearing that has me concerned.Cube will also help there but don’t you think we could use one more big guy back there?

71. neumann103 says:

If Carey Price went to arbitration (and I am not suggesting for a second that this was in any way likely) he would have been given something like $5.5M on a 1 year deal.

That’s the floor. Like it or not. Think he deserves it or not. Anything less just buys a pissed off Price. In order to buy any years of free agency (what does this contract buy – three years that would have been after he was UFA eligible?) is going to take more than that.

This is about what I expected. I was thinking 5 years at $6M. I think it is a bit more than he “deserves” but not by any factor that outweighs the alternatives, accounts for the relative importance to the team (vis a vis Quick), taxes in Quebec (which is a factor soewhat overstated by our fans, but an impact nonetheless.

And finally you look at a hierarchical list like this:
    Rinne $7
    Lundqvist $6.875
    Price $6.5
    Ward $6.3
    Miller $6.25

it actually make sense. And that is even before considering those deals we negotiated when the cap was a lot lower.

Want to argue that Ryan Miller is better than Price? I think you can make a reasonable case. I think you can make a stronger case he was. But want to argue about 4% in salary, negotiated two years apart, when the cap hit was about 17% lower than it is now? Good luck with that.

In fact if you want to look at an outlier on this list it is Cam Ward, who is not in the same class as the others, and his deal was made three years ago when the cap was something like $54M.

So, grumble all you want. Price was always going to get something like this. Everybody walks away happy. Or should.

Now, give PK something close to what he deserves, give Lars Eller something more than you think he deserves (because the kid is criminally undervalued) each for about 3 years, give Diaz, Palushaj, Geoffrion (in that order) what you need to and call it a day.

“Et le but!”

• Dulljerk says:

I would give Diaz, Palushaj, Geoffrion (in that order) the wave at the door, if we had any chance of moving them.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• neumann103 says:

I just mean to keep enough cap space although presumably at most one of those guys is with the big team unless injuries occur.

I don’t subscribe to the “they are all bums” theme, but think they are three very different cases.

Diaz has been underrated and pilloried for what was actually a decent rookie season under terrible conditions. If many are willing to give Rene Bourque a chance to prove his mettle outside the insanity, I would expect the same for Diaz.

I am undecided on Palushaj but playing 1st/2nd line minutes in Hamilton is probably better both for his development and our evaluation. Maybe he could be a winger in Montreal, but he is not going to become that playing occasional fourth line minutes.

I honestly don’t see Geoffrion as an NHL player. Maybe I am wrong, but give him a chance to light up the AHL and earn a shot.

“Et le but!”

• slapshot777 says:

Also when posters are trying to put a negative spin on the contract, like one poster already said, factor in the Calder Cup Championship, The WJC Gold medal and the CHL goalie of the year.

They say Price hasn’t won a Stanley Cup. Then again look at the list of goalies making more or just a little below what Price is making. The only goalie on that list with a Cup Ring is Ward. What have the rest done ?

I don’t see any championships amongst the rest. So for those posters who keep bringing up that sad sack of monkey sh!t do know what they are talking about. If you don’t like Price, fine that is your opinion everone is entitled to that, but come out and say so rather than looking to dig up some weak excuse of why he shouldn’t or don’t derserve the contract. Most of these posters I can also say with certainty were Halak supporters, again that is fine, but to be constantly beading this dead horse is like water falling over a waterfall, it’s gone forget about it.

If you are a true Habs fan then this should be a great day having one of our anchors locked up for six years without any worries. Price can’t win it all by himself, remember this is a team game no “I” in team. Once a goalie stops the puck it is his defense that are suppose to clear away the forwards and not prevent that second and third shot, which was happening to Price in the last couple of years.

Look at the good teams and they can get by on average goaltending if they have a good supporting cast of d-men to help clear the front. Allow your goalie to see the puck and make the first stop and let the defense do the rest.

Price will be in net when the Habs hoist their 25th Stanley Cup.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

72. neutral says:

I hope this year Therrien puts Pleks as our #1 center
    DD with Bourque and Gionta
    Moen with Gomez/Eller and Armstrong
    Prust White Nokelainen

That’s if there’s no more changes between now and October

• ebourcier says:

Youd be nuts to break up

Cole-DD-Patches
      so:
      Gionta-pleks-Gallagher
      Bourque-Eller-Armstrong
      Moen-White-Prust <<< best all around 4th line we have seen in a long long time

Ebour

• Cal says:

Gallagher? And you say neutral would be nuts? They’d be crushed by top 4 D. Gallagher isn’t making the Habs for another two years, when he can solidify his body by adding another 20 + pounds of muscle.

• Dulljerk says:

I, too, would be very surprised for Gallagher to make this team this year.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• ebourcier says:

He was VERY close to staying with the team last year. After having a great season/world jr, I think this kid is primed to make the team. I agree he needs to add size tho which he is probably doing as we speak.
            I just believe that much like last year he will have such a strong camp they will have no choice but to keep him. Maybe its just my thinking but the kid seems for real.

Ebour

• neumann103 says:

I think you would be nuts to break up Pacioretty and Desharnais but moving Cole to get some scoring on more than one line is perfectly reasonable.

And for the Gallagher suggestion below about how close he was to making the team last year, I agree. If the judgement of who should be on the team was decided solely on merit as shown in the pre-season I think that Gallagher should have made the Habs last year. However that probably would have been death for his development. I fully expect Gallagher to impress again and probably be better than the 12th forward in camp, but the right decision will be to send him to Hamilton for a year to learn the pro game and get another year of his strength and conditioning dedication applied to an adult body to get stronger as he surely will need to be for the NHL.

I look forward to seeing Gallagher on the big club in 2013 on Lars Eller’s wing. But let’s not rush him.

“Et le but!”

73. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Don’t panic. there is still room for a big, mean, mostly psycotic D-Man to protect our franchise netminder.

EASY OPTION: John Scott is still on the market, can come cheap, and serve as a 7th defenseman/net clearing specialist.

NOT AS EASY OPTION: Somehow pry John Erskine away from the caps………………

Boston is making overtures toward PK.
    Ouch! Say it ain”t so!

75. Selkie says:

Just glad Price is locked up, (Subban next) Bergevin is doing what seems to be a good job. i’m looking fwd for this teams success in the next couple years! nous sommes Canadiens pour la vie!