Price recalled from Hamilton

As expected, the Canadiens have recalled goaltender Carey Price from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Monday.

He will dress for Tuesday night’s game against the Ottawa Senators.

Before being sent to the AHL, Price had a 9-7-3 record with a 2.90 GAA and a .907 save percentage.

1. Woah_Dana says:

You know I’ll be there, see you soon!!

GO HABS!
    ~Sergei Kostitsyn, marry me!!

2. jew4jah says:

it was nice having halak here on the bench. that’s where the #2 guy should sit…. most of the time. maybe you play him when you have 2 games in 2 nights. errrrr afternoons.
    now we have to watch either price or huet ride the pine. this is where the armchair coaching really builds momentum. all the brilliant hindsights.

and another thing. has the media asked carbo what breezeby was doing in the lineup on saturday? has any light been shed on that mystery? i think the breezer may have some serious dirt on carbo & gainey.

oh and one more thing. it’s been really nice watching sergei kost’s innocent youthful smile lately. well, that’s gone. ryan hollweg definately popped his cherry. welcome to the big leagues kid.

3. Jim M says:

There’s always golf, you know.

4. Yeats says:

Great hearing from you. My game is going to hell in a hand basket. Just getting old. I have arthritis in my knees and shoulders. I have to pick my spots when to unleash the 80+ mph slapper, but it has forced me to develope a much better snap shot. Believe it or not, I was so tired after pickup at 6:30am and watching the Habs yesterday that I went to bed after the half-time show. Way to go Brian! I do have a lot of sympathy for Koivu. I respect him as a player, but more importantly, as a person. No one deserves to hoist the Cup as a member of this franchise more than him. He has been used to being the go-to guy and I think he is having difficulty coming to grips with the fact that he may no longer be the marquee player on the squad. Carbo and Gainey should help him refocus. Big Jean in ’71 certainly wasn’t the player he was during prior runs, but he still led by example.

5. Moey says:

Lighten up Batman, these are the reasons I think we lost,

1. Playing Washington twice during the week and trying to contain Ovechkin, that would wear any team out.

2. Ranger goon running into Kovy’s elbow, Kovy flew way under the radar after that, started to get sloppy and make mistakes, he was also doing double shift work. If Kovi is off his game, it spells trouble for us.

3. Huet was tired, Kovy & Huet not up to snuff = disaster.

Koivu’s stupid penalty didn’t help, but you can’t honestly blame any one thing or person for the loss. IMO, Kovy & Huet are the key players now, if either one doesn’t bring their A game, we’re vulnerable.

6. Sulemaan says:

You know, I look at all 98+ posts regarding the goaltending situation and can’t help but smile at it all.

We finally have depth in a key position. Huet, Price, Halak and Danis. All of these guys have shown they can play in the NHL. What other NHL team has such depth in goaltending? Why is no one putting up their hand? 😉

The Habs can keep Huet until the end of season. If he walks, he walks. I would have advocated trading him before the deadline but he has played very well recently (5-3 Rangers loss aside) so he’s not going anywhere unless Gainey gets an incredible offer. And I have no problem with that.

Let’s say Huet does walk as a UFA in the off-season. We then have three young goaltenders to choose from. We alternate them until a clear winner comes through. Our future is bright.

Yes we can get into a pissing contest about who should start, who should be in Hamilton and whatever else. Carbo should play the hot hand and ride it.

If that is Huet, so be it. If that is Price, so be it. If that is Halak, so be it. Trust the coaching and team management to make the right move. This isn’t blind faith per se but just confidence that has earned from turning the team around from the ashes of the Houle/Tremblay era.

Besides a crappy loss against the Rangers, this team has played well this season and our future looks really good. For the first time in many years, it feels good to be a Habs fan.

Be proud. Walk tall mes amis.

7. Yeats says:

That had nothing to do with it in my opinion. Koivu’s, dare I say now typical, CA/BS offensive-zone stick tweaker was the Trojan Horse yesterday. The Greeks, I mean Rangers, just gutted us from within after that. Those are not the sort of penalties the captain of any team, let alone the Habs, should take. He really needs to get his shit together.

8. Jim M says:

Hi Yeats,

How is your hockey going? Congratulations on the Giants’ big victory. Bit of a shocker according to the experts’ predictions. I bet money on the Giants to win because of the spread but I really thought that the Patriots would win. It goes to show that anything can happen in one game.

On this Koivu subject, I think he’s very frustrated with his line’s performance and frustrated players do dumb things. But I’ve found his last few penalties to be marginal calls at best, especially compared to some of the other stuff that the refs let go. I didn’t see what Higgins did on that play, if he ended doing the sweater-grab dance with an opponent, but I hope he didn’t forget what Ryder did for him in the previous game. I think most people would agree that Komisarek gets the C when it’s time.

9. Sulemaan says:

I might have a contact @ ViaRail. Let me see if I can get some kind of preferential rate from Montreal to Hamilton. No promises but let me check.

10. Jim M says:

You’re right. Fans should never boo a player for poor performance when he’s working hard. Maybe poor effort, but only if he’s obviously dogging it most of the time. I know fans pay exorbitant ticket prices, but they sometimes are not aware of personal off-ice problems or nagging injuries. I have never booed any player publicly because I don’t see anything constructive coming from it.

11. Moey says:

Okay Batman,

A friend of mine called this morning (a sens fan), he said I bet you were cheering for the laffs on Saturday night so you got what you deserved on Sunday. (He has a point). He also said that Montreal is a much better team right now than Ottawa, so take our two points tomorrow night and run. He hopes we learned a lesson. He’s not a bad guy and if Ottawa is out of the playoff run he will back Montreal.

I don’t think we should ever cheer on the laffs again for a couple of points, it was just rally bad karma and it bit us in the ass.

12. Jim M says:

Looking forward to your posts as well, now that the real season has begun. Have they taken off your ankle bracelet yet? :)

13. ClaytonM says:

Not that Huet played a bad game, I thought the goals were good, no cheap ones. The rangers created a lot of traffic and outworked us by the end of the game. That being said, I’d have gone with Halak instead so Huet could rest. Hindsight being 20/20, who knows if that would have earned us a win. I’d also prefer to see Huet against the sans and Price against the laffs. Huet might want a shot at redemption and Price owns the laffs. If Price loses then Huet gets the laffs and needs to deal with his past against them.

14. T-roy West says:

Man Ian, that sounds like a blast. I would have loved to be there but work will keep me away. It would have been cool if it was in April, right around the time the UFC comes to Montreal. Hamilton Bulldogs, Canadiens and George St. Pierre, that would be awesome!

15. Jim M says:

How are video game skills coming along?

16. Yeats says:

Personally, I like flying blind!

17. nightmare_49 says:

Jim M – Glad to see your posting once in a while after your short sabatical and be looking forward to your future posts during the drive , how’s thr half way house treating you , ” I KNOW THE HABS BETTER THAN YOU” lol.

18. Moey says:

WARNING : post at your own risk, there are a few bats in the belfry tonight!!:)

19. habitual says:

Hey Habs fans: check out the Globe and Mail today, where the Habs (and other teams salaries) are posted.

The good news is that Pleks, Kovy, Koivu, Higgy, and Streit and Komy and the Kostisyn bros. are all signed through 2008. The bad news is that all of them become various forms of free agents in 2009.

I am thinking that most all should be re-upped asap – save Kovy who while brilliant this season will be 2 years older. Wait and see …

Where to cut salary: Ryder, obviously, but also Dandeneault @ 1.7 for 11 minutes worth of ice time, and Smolinski, who at a million bucks can be replaced by Chipchura. Another guy on the bubble, who has a great work ethic and gives us some much needed toughness to an othewise finess line up is Kostopolos, at 900,000.

Thoughts …

20. Mr.Hazard says:

I will not tolerate dissing of EITHER GOALIES. COME ON GUYS. We should be happy about the depth… not act like we’re all experts who know better than anyone else…

Ex nihilo nihil fit

21. nightmare_49 says:

jew4hab – IMHO That’s my take on this surprised move that Price will be between the pipes againat the lafs or possibly sooner. The lafs didn’t like what they seen in Price earlier in the season.

22. The Teacher says:

A bit overdramatic, no?

23. Yeats says:

I wouldn’t argue your main point. Koivu’s did indeed open the door, but Kovy’s really got them going. You had to admire the Rangers’ character in the way they reacted to it. Almost any coach I have ever played for would bench you for one penalty like that let alone several. Heck, I’d have a lot more respect for Koivu if he tried to put someone through the boards for once.

24. Jim M says:

I’d love to go, but it’s still a bit too early to commit. I have a sister living in Hamilton and I’d like to see her as well. If I can, I’ll go for sure.

25. Yeats says:

Jim, many of them have never even played the game. They just watch and think their a bunch of Toe Blakes. I find it even with guys who play pickup hockey with me who never played at a decent level when they were younger. They watch the game on TV and seem to understand it, but they can’t even execute a textbook odd-man rush when given the chance. They really DON’T understand the game. They don’t quite understand why Koivu should be told to sit after those CA, BS penalties. They don’t see why it’s important for an alledged future captain of the team like Higgins to do something nasty after K the younger got throttled from behind yesterday. It’s the little things that matter most when you want to chase the Cup in earnest.

26. Da Hema says:

I thought the turning point of the game was Kovalev’s elbow–and the Rangers’ players confirmed that–but one could certainly make the case Koivu’s hooking penalty opened the bathroom door even more. I will bet that of Kovu’s 72 minutes of penalties, 66 of them are hooks. They are always the worst penalties. It seems the opposition always scores with those power plays. I don’t mind a roughing or cross-checking penalty, especially if the opposition was asking for it. Oftentimes that can fire up the team. But those [expletive deleted] hooking penalties just end up killing a team.

This is a tough call. I suggested a month ago that Carbo talk with Koivu about this matter. I think Carbo and Gainey are going to have to do something now.
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

27. christophurrr says:

he got a one game automatic suspension because he was already kicked out for boarding before. i don’t think that means he’s immune from any other suspensions, or that campbell has even made a decision on he (or kovy for that matter)

28. G-Man says:

Halak and 1 more for who, Stortini? Forget about Pitkanen.

29. Yeats says:

Great points! If you went on his numbers alone in the QMJHL, you would never haved picked up Patrick Roy. And, like the 1940 chants the Rangers used to get, the Habs would still be hearing 1979 chants.

30. G-Man says:

Won the Calder Cup and playoff MVP with Hamilton last spring and this is supposed to challenge him? Gimme a break.
    BTW, Halak is smaller, like Huet, so he has to be perfectly in position. I’d rather have a BIG goalie who can make a mistake and a save at the same time.
    Carbo’s coaching works. He’s no bonehead.

31. Yeats says:

Several games ago when he took what I have come to call his typical candy-ass, BS, offensive zone, stick-tweak penalty, I suggested that he be benched. If Al MacNeil could bench Henri Richard in the ’71 Stanley Cup Finals against the Blackhawks, you could certainly sit Koivu’s behind down to send the message that those infractions are unacceptable. Predictably, I caught a bunch of flack. How can you bench our captain? You can’t do that to Koivu! Outrageous!!! Yesterday’s penalty on the PP changed the whole flow of the game and in my mind’s eye cost us two points. Maybe he’s doing it for the majority of posters on HIO, but I have him to go.

32. Ian G Cobb says:

Can you not get to this event, we need you.

33. notbigbird says:

You took the words …

TB is definitely not Kreskin.

34. Ian G Cobb says:

Hop aboard and come on !!

35. Jim M says:

How’s it going, Ian?

I hope you enjoy the Bulldogs’ summit as much as you enjoyed the Habs’ one. The other people are going to enjoy you a lot, Ian. You are quite the guy and I really enjoy what you bring. Have a great time, even though I don’t think you know how to do otherwise.

36. Ian G Cobb says:

Funny and true Jim M

37. Ian G Cobb says:

His heart is willing and his speed has slowed over time, therefore the continues hooking to try to keep up. He takes a bad one nearly every game. I love the guy, but he is hurting us and the kids are watching.

38. mrstewart61 says:

What about from Halifax right all along the track?

39. Jim M says:

I think this comes from the advent of video games. They start believing they are actually coaching or managing a team and after they win a few games, they think they are geniuses. Then they wonder why Gainey or Carbonneau can’t have the same success as them. It’s like the people who play great at Tiger Woods’ video game. But put them on a real golf course and they couldn’t break 150 even if they cheated.

40. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

if they suspend Kovalev ….we are done.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

41. Ian G Cobb says:

We need 4 goalers and we have 4 very good ones. Someone did there homework, we have great debth in this position.

42. 46_14_27 says:

You know, the LA Kings management probably knows more about hockey than the posters too but the team sucks. Not much point of posting if you can’t give an opinion.
    Back to Price, save% .89 and GAA 2.69. Halak way better in both catagories with THE SAME HAMILTON team in front of them. Come on man…
    See it for what it is. He’s not ready. If he can’t get the numbers in the AHL, how will he get them with the HABS?
    I watched every single game for the last 3 years. Halak is a better technical and positional goalie. Will he be next year? I don’t know. I just don’t want to see everything unravel like it did last year because of bonehead coaching moves. Carbo has been alot better this year but…….

Go Habs Go

43. Ian G Cobb says:

On the subject of Dogs summit, a great idea being talked about is a hab fan train, picking up fans along route. Starting in Mtl. and picking up others all along the track, right to Hamilton. How much interest is there in that one. Let us know.

44. Da Hema says:

It is off-topic, but I noticed Koivu is second on the team in PIMs. Second. He has more penalty minutes than Komisarek! I have to admit I am extremely frustrated with the volume and, more important, the kind of penalties he has taken this year. I think Carbo and Gainey need to talk to him. Enough is enough….
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

45. Ian G Cobb says:

That is right Tommy, we are very fortunate to have 1 bonified NHL goaler and two great kids as back ups.

46. Ian G Cobb says:

Halak and Price are here to back up the only NHL goaler and our #1 that we have. A backup is a backup, just try to give them as much ice in Hamilton to keep them sharp. If # 1 gets hurt or needs a break, we can put in a backup.

They are not up here to start games unless it is needed. The competetion process for a # 1 is over, it is time to win as many points as we can. So you play the best NHL goaltender, the kids are still learning and are to be brought along slowly.

47. TommyB says:

The return of Price should come as no surprise…he was sent to Hamilton to get a workload, he wasn’t banished to Siberia. Some posters like to quote Price’s stats during his stint in Steeltown. They are not completely thrilled with the numbers. Have these guys considered that it is not the Montreal Canadiens playing in front of him in Hamilton? If Carey Price is coming back up then I have to believe that he is ready to come back up. Really, no surprise there.

And what about poor Halak? Some posters like to give the impression that they really care about Halak…they feel bad for him. Poor Halak is not being given a fair shake, they say. Closer to the truth is they don’t give a rat’s patoutti about Halak, but it does give them reason to rant about how stupid the Habs management is. In short, it fits their usual method of operation of waiting for any opportunity to pounce on something they feel gives them the chance to trash Gainey, and thereby demonstrate how much smarter they are.

If Halak doesn’t fit in Montreal’s plans….so be it! Huet was given an opportunity to show what he can bring, by playing a long string of consecutive games. He did well, in my opinion. Now management believes it’s time to bring Price back into the equation. I’ll trust they know what they are doing, and I’ll trust they know considerably more than I do. Pardon me, but I’ll also trust they know considerably more than pretty much all visitors to Habs I/O.

48. jew4jah says:

good call. halak just seems to be caught in the middle. everything seems to be about what to do with price & huet.
    i don’t think halak was brought up to play as much as price was sent down for conditioning.
    it’s easy to feel bad for halak but remember one thing…. he’s making a half million dollars this year!

49. Shiloh says:

I watched a game in Hamilton and he was very bad. He’s on his knees long before the puck gets to him every single time. It really looks bad when a shot is blocked before it gets to him – he has to get up even though he hasn’t made a save.

50. jew4jah says:

i think price got a shutout in his last start for hamilton. typical of the habs front office, is to react too quickly. it’s the inverse of panic after a big loss; switching lines and sending players back n forth to the minors.
    my guess is they’ll give him another start against toronto.
    these are the same decision makers who thought it was a good idea to play brisebois on saturday (don’t get me started about signing him in the 1st place)

51. the_larry says:

Yea I saw that too on the TSN ticker. If he gets just one game, then Kovalev certainly wont get any because Hollwig’s hit was much dirtier and more dangerous than Kovy’s.

If we haven’t heard anything about a suspension by now, I think he should be in the clear…hopefully

Habhopeful – Hollweg only gets one game? Man, life is cheap in the NHL.

The Original 24 Cups

53. mrstewart61 says:

I was just musing yesterday – instead of thinking about trading Ryder for someone to play with Koivu/Higgins, why not give Milroy a chance. He played decently last year.

Now about Smolinski…I wish he’d always play like he did against NJ, but too many games are like the last two. Washington – let Ovechkin get away…NYR – passed the puck to a Ranger on the third goal. That to me was the back-breaking goal. That’s why I agree with replacing him with Chips.

54. T-roy West says:

A little off topic but tsn has us ranked #2 even though we lost on sunday. Also Horcoff is gone for the rest of the season and Edmonton might be looking for a centre and the last time I checked we have a player in our system by the name Of Duncan Milroy who is from Edmonton. Mybe we might be able to pry someone from Edmonton now that they are desperate. They need a center, a winger and a goaltender because Rollie is done. Would’t mine Stortini on the third or fourth line and Pitkanen would probably be avaiable. Just some thoughts!

55. mrstewart61 says:

I’d have to see statisticl proof to agree. Conversely, that there is statisical proof that Huet shines in ‘non-pressure’ games. I would think they are all pressure games.

56. Habhopeful says:

Ryan Hollweg suspended for 1 game, nothing yet for kovalev and hopefully there wont be…

57. mrstewart61 says:

He’s gotta be mad!

58. coutNY says:

Hopefully the loss to NY will spark them to prepare for a battle, Because Paddock calls out his team citting the Habs, as an example of how to display themselves in a losing effort, this week. I am sure they’ll be ready with or without Heatley and Alfredson.

59. Spider-Man NL says:

I agree 110%

60. 46_14_27 says:

It’s absolutley unbelievable that Halak gets sent down without playing a game. But what’s more unbelievable, is Price is on his way up. People, he sucked in the minors!! Check his stats, he got blown out at least twice and his save % is below .90 and GAA is 4.00 or something. Leave down and play Halak. At least you know what you got. I see the Habs really blowing a good thing with Halak on a hope that Price will be the next Patrick Roy. Good luck Bob and Guy.

Go Habs Go.

61. Ian G Cobb says:

We have a #1 goaltender and two backups. We play our # 1, 85% of our games. And the two back ups stay sharp taking turns starting in Hamilton. What is the mystery here.??

62. RS says:

Halak hadn’t played for so long that he couldn’t be thrown into an NHL game at this point. The only way he can get some icetime is to play him in Hamilton, that means, ready or not, Price is back with the big club. Regardless, Huet is solidly #1.

63. Cable Guy says:

well said

64. TC says:

I’m not too surprised. Huet has always seemed to struggle against the Leafs while Price is undefeated against them, and I believe (may be wrong) that he made over 40 saves in both games.

I agree with everyone else who says that Halak should have played a game. Playing three games in less than four days (because of the afternoon start), in my opinion really hurt him and the team yesterday as they all seemed tired in the third period. Not too say that Huet played bad yesterday, he just wasn’t stellar.

If I’m Halak right now I’m probably not a happy camper and I’ll be curious to see how well he plays in Hamilton. If the team doesn’t seem to have any confidence in you, your probably not going to give your best back in return.

65. Wops says:

I think Halak was sent down to play a little bit a games, only.

We might see Price against the Leafs but thats it.

Be prepared to see that up and down thing between Halak and Price more.

CH is for Chris Higgins

66. Steiner says:

Where’d you hear that?

67. nick says:

any ideas as to what leads to the organizations lack of confidence in Halak?

68. T-roy West says:

You have a very valid point and the answer is he should be able to if he is your number one goalie. If Komisarek and Hamrlik play every game and log the minutes that they do and take the physical abuse that they do every game then Huet should be able to play 95% of the games.

69. T-roy West says:

I would say that the whole team is a little out of shape.

70. MICP says:

We sent one young goalie down to get some work but we bring up another young one up to sit. If the plan all a long was for the back up to sit and look good why not call up Danis and let the two have time in Hamilton. Is Danis a mentor? Why leave him down? What does it hurt to recall him instead of Halak? Are the Habs concerned that if we brought him in in a mop up role the game is going to get worse? I just dont understand the thinking of bringing Halak up just to look good on the bench.

71. TC says:

I don’t see it as a lack of confidence in Halak.

I think what we’re seeing now is more of a test for Huet. Clearly, the Canadiens brass wants to see if he can carry the whole load before committing a big money, multi year contract to him. Obviously, there have been some durability issues in Huet’s past with the team.

I also think that Carbonneau right now is going with what works. And in the month of January, Huet was the best goalie in the league (and the third best player). If something is working you’re naturally hesitant to change the formula for success.

With all that being said, I think that Halak should have played one of the games this weekend, if for no other reason than to give Huet a much deserved rest.

I get concerned when a goalie starts more than ten games in a row. Your effectively putting your backup goalie in an untenable position. You’re asking someone who hasn’t had any game action in over three weeks, to come in and perform well after being stapled to the bench. I believe that you have to give your backup a game here and there, just to keep some level of sharpness.

Even when the Canadiens had great goalies like Dryden & Roy, backups like Larocque & Hayward saw a fair bit of action during the regular season.

It seems to me, in hindsight, that the Habs had no intention of giving Halak a start, and sent Price down to get some work, to try and reestablish his game, as seen by the decision to bring Price back up when Huet is finally given a game off.

72. RudeMood19 says:

YES! He’s back up!

73. showey47 says:

danis has to clear waivers unlike price and halak

74. gmd says:

TSN website reports that Heatley and Alfredson will not play Tuesday and that Gerber will get the start.

They also report that O’Byrne will get his cast taken off his thumb on Friday.

75. Shobud says:

When ever there is a game with a lot of pressure Huet bombs out.. Yesterday was a lot of pressure.. He could not handle it.. How come other goalers can play two games in a row, and a lot more games than Huet,and still do a good job

76. Bill H says:

I agree Sbah. Halak hasn’t been given the chance he deserves. This year he has been a victim of numbers I think.

Someone pointed out elsewhere that by not playing Halak, Gainey/Carbo are depressing his value. This may be a good strategy while they await the end of season and try to sign Huet. If Huet is asking too much for too many years (and I think he will) they can then let him walk and can match any offer sheets that they get for Halak. They then go into next season with Price/Halak. But their preferred option is to go with the current tandem of Huet who can mentor the younger Price. Halak must be really pissed with the treatment he has received this year. But I think either the Habs will sign Huet and let Halak sign with another team where he will likely do well, or Huet will sign with another team and Halak will get over the bad treatment he has received when he is playing regularly with the Habs next season.

77. Sbah Reverof says:

I like Price a lot, and he is likely the goaltender of the future, but I feel pretty bad for Jaroslav Halak. It seems the organisation has forgotten that he got us within one point of the playoffs last year, coming out of nowhere to fill in admirably for Huet. I hope he is treated less shabbily as time goes on.

78. Cable Guy says:

Actually he was just average in hamilton.

79. Rastaman says:

Anyone know how Price’s numbers ended up while he was in Hamilton? They must have been pretty good to warrant the call up.

80. coutNY says:

Team____________GP_GA_MIN_Saves (W-L-OTLSO)
    Hamilton Bulldogs__10_26__581__225_(6-4-1)

Had 2 horrible losses One of which yeilded (5G on 13shots) but since has recovered posting a shutout in his last apperence.

81. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Glad to see PRICE back…CHIPS should be with him.

but in HALAKS defense let me add this (which was noted below by SBAH)

with HALAK we would have made the playoffs last year.

It was wrong to put in HUET against the leafs when he was just coming back from injury…and HALAK had carried us that far…HUET has a tendency to breakdown “sometimes”…and we all know the score going into the third period last year against the laffs….damn that was a disappointment.

I’m wondering how much of the decision was based on the fact that we play those laffs this week…
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

82. Klondike Habs Fan says:

I agree with you here big time. Last year we would have won that gamae and made the playoffs, with Halak in nets. Forget teh Price to Roy comparisons, it should have been Halak, the rooking, stepping in and stealing hte #1 job and taking us on a playoff run. But we went with huet, and yall know what happened. I still think we should be getting Halak ready to take over from Huet, let him adn his salary walk next year. Go with the Halak / Price Or Danis combo.

Good one Timo.

The Original 24 Cups

84. coutNY says:

I agree WOPS he’s probably more likely to face the Laffs considering Huet lack of success.

85. sag says:

Glad to see price improving his play. Halak has got to be a little annoyed though. How are we going to attract interest in the likes of Halak and Ryder if they are sitting all the time?

86. nick says:

Yeah i’m glad to see Price has found his footing again in Hamilton. Albeit it seems kinda quick… he only really just come around in the past 2 weeksish. Looking forward to seeing him play again with the Habs.

With that said… I remember not too long ago hearing rumours from some where or other that Halak was getting fed up of being in Hamilton / 2nd goalie feeling he’s better than that…etc etc etc. I’m not sure if theres any truth to this rumour, either way i’m a little unimpressed with the lack of play he’s been getting. I mean they’ve given almost everyone else a chance to play… what would be the harm in giving the guy one or two full games?

Any chance he’s on his way out in a package deal?

87. Cable Guy says:

Halak should have got the start yesterday I feel, I don’t know if it would have turned out any different but he deserved at least one start while with us.

88. vic says:

I think its too early for Price to come back I hope he doesnt get bombed
    against the Sens.
    I guess Halak will want out.I think he could have good for us if given a chance.

89. Wops says:

Price being dress doesnt meean he will play the sens…

CH is for Chris Higgins

90. T-roy West says:

Montreal has a history of treating it’s players and their family’s with dignity and compassion. I am sure they talked to Halak and gave him incouragement. The reality is he is a backup – period. If a number one goaltender plays almost every game in the season then that is life. It’s just business, nothing personal. The way San Jose is going, their backup might never play a game for a long time. If people think Halak is getting a raw deal lately then they might be even more upset in a couple of weeks.

91. Cable Guy says:

Halak is getting a raw deal. Halak was undefeated at the Bell Center last year he was 7-0. He beat the Rangers last year. Huet rarely plays well when they play 2 games in 2 days. He at least deserved yesterdays start in my opinion.
    Halak will eventually be dealt or he’ll walk away and go play in Europe but mark my words when I say he will bite us in the ass down the road.

92. mrstewart61 says:

And they are definitely not gonna trade Price, so for Halak’s sake, play him somewhere, so they can trade, so he can find an NHL team.

93. Jim M says:

This Huet/Price debate will be settled on the ice where it should be, so it really doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. Whoever gets us there is fine by me. There is a reason why teams have two goalies on the roster.

94. skoehn says:

I’m not sure what the plan is for Price or Halak I only hope that carbo keeps going to Huet despite having Price on the bench. I’m sure he will play one of the up coming games and give huet a rest. but I don’t want to see the back and forth stuff Just go with huet he has done very well with a long stretch of games.. The loss was NOT his fault it was the entire team who broke down… Perhaps they are rotating the kids to keep them seeing action However its got to be disappointing to Halak… Pls everyone pls don’t start with the play price and trade huet crap just ause price is back its been so nice to not have that bandwagon going full steam… Price is not ready everyone knows it they just want him to be ready badly…. Cristobal is the go to guy don’t shake him with Price switching it doesn’t work… Go habs Go…

95. Jim M says:

I have some questions for you.

How do you know that Price is not ready?

If it’s not Huet’s fault for the loss because the whole team broke down, then don’t you think it’s fair to say the same thing for Price’s games?

What would you do if Price outplayed Huet in February and won more games? Would you still keep playing Huet?

This is about the team winning, not who gets to play more games.

96. Jim M says:

I wouldn’t worry about peoples’ agendas, but only what Bob Gainey is doing. Price was brought up for a reason and if he performs, then he’ll get his share of games in. If he doesn’t, well, you know what happens. We all know the story of Huet being a UFA this year and I think his situation will have a lot to do with what happens. We’ll have to wait and see.

97. Bill H says:

98. Jim M says:

You trust the right man. So do I!

99. skoehn says:

actually NO this is about the Montreal Fans annointing Carey Price as the the winner of the stanley cup. when did i ever say that it was prices fault for losses carey hasn’t been here and this pointless bickering was gone there was just support for huet in net. Boom it back… and i would say that huet having to talk price down after his last game before being sent down would indicate that despite his cool calm demeanor underneath he is a kid who isn’t ready to carry the load… I would say that if the team decides to go with the hot goalie fine but so far neither goalie was given any kind of a run when its the Huet/price combo.
    How is it that the loss of a game is totally a goalies fault.. despite the blunders by his defense that was supposed to be there to help him. but thats a goalie fault

100. WindsorHab-10 says:

If Huet is our #1 goalie and wants to keep that job then he should carry the team when his mates falter especially after getting a 3 goal lead. That is what a #1 goalie is supposed to do.

101. skoehn says:

What your failing to see is that I agree Price is a great goalie and he will be even greater with each season he plays.For his age he often shows the poise of a veteran and has proven He can play at the NHL level. I’m very Happy to have him as the future.. All i’m trying to do is support Huet who has brought this team far on many occasions and has played a great run of games his last in a back to back situation was not his best. agreed. But he doesn’t need to be judged on that game and that game alone.. I get frustrated huet was a star in january he has an impressive shut out… Monday morning Price is back and boom huet is useless.. I am supporting a guy who works hard for this team… If Price ends up being the Go to man then he will have earned it and I’ll support him…. Why we fans banter back and forth over our goalies is beyond me we should just be happy we have goalies who will come up HUGE when needed thats Huet Price Halak ….

102. Jim M says:

You got me wrong. I wasn’t quoting you about Price’s defeat being his fault. You are defending Huet from the same accusations of what others said about Price’s performance earlier on. As I said in a recent post, who plays in nets will be decided by their on-ice performance, not the fans’ sentiments. And that’s the way it should be,

103. skoehn says:

Hey just support the guy winning the games…. it could be worse we could have red light raycroff

104. WindsorHab-10 says:

I’m sorry to see Halak go back to Hamilton without even getting one single start. The guy proved last year that he can play at this level and in my opinion should’ve been the starter Sunday afternoon. I wish him a ton of luck. As for Huet, he’s been good for us this year but a #1 that will carry us into the playoffs and beyond, I highly doubt it. My gut feeling is that Huet will be dealt by or before the deadline. Our future lies with Price and since we’re not expected to win the cup this year, might as well let the young guys carry the load and see what happens. I can’t see Huet being very effective and reliable in the playoffs. Sorry to disappoint some of you but that’s how I feel. GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

105. kenny_galloway says:

I think we need a mentor to Price and Huet can’t do the job as he has no Calder trophies to his name, one name comes to mind when I think about cheap, outstanding back ups and it’s Andrew Raycroft from TO. Hear me out fellow Canadians fans, Raycroft is struggling right NOW, yes, but he’s playing behind a middle of the road D, he showed in Boston what he can really do, and as Habs fans we all know about the brick wall he put up in game 1 of the 04 Boston Montreal series when he pitched a shutout.

When Raycroft is on his game, only Luongo and Brodeur in this league are better, we could have the 2 best young goalies in the league on 1 team, and when Price is ready, we could use Raycroft as trade bait.

To Toronto:
    McDonagh + Emelin

To Montreal:
    Raycroft + Gill

106. Bill H says:

No deal. We’d have too many goalies then. How about this? We throw in hUET with McD and Emelin, and we’ll take Raycroft, Gill, and a fifth round draft pick.

107. Girth says:

Watching too many leafs games?

108. habsgod says:

109. RH says:

Leafs have a weak defensive core and often leave there goalies out to dry. Having said that though, Raycroft is STILL a horrible goalie. Toskala’s play has proven that.

110. RH says:

I also wouldn’t touch Hal Gill with a ten foot pole. Maybe Kaberle, Wellwood and this years #1 draft pick for a goalie not named Price and a couple of draft picks this year.

111. coutNY says:

Wow must be a closet laffs fan? Only a Laff would think that giving up our 2 of our best prospects for an over-the-hill bum and a never will be back up! Huet is 10X the goalie Racroft will ever be! You say Racroft playing behind Middle of the road D, but yet it makes since to trade top prospects for one of their D man.

When Raycroft is so off his game I’d rather bring Theodore back as a back-up. You must be crazy to think this guy is any where near Luongo or Brodeur.

And as a hab fan ’04 series was won by the Habs!

There is in opening in TO, I am sure they’ll like these brillant ideas…

112. Girth says:

This shouldn’t surprise anyone…

It’s a widely held belief that Huet is a great goalie, but needs to be periodically rested to help minimize his risk to injury and remain at the top of his game. It is important that we prepare for the playoffs by having a well rested Huet and a well prepared backup.

Popular wisdom would agree that Price/Huet tandem seems like a stronger combo heading into a playoff run. However, is unfortunate that Halak never saw any ice time.

113. kenny_galloway says:

u dont think the leafs would do it? we can add locke if u think it will help

114. Sulemaan says:

Sorry dude, I wouldn’t make that trade in a millionaire years. McDonough is going to be a stud defenseman. Raycroft plays like a sieve. That is why Boston traded him and why Toronto is desperate to get rid of him. And I’d rather get a road pylon from a construction site and put it on our defense before Gill. He’s big but way too slow and doesn’t play an up-tempo game.

115. kenny_galloway says:

no thats crazy imo

116. Jim M says:

You left out the most important piece of the deal to make this happen. Komisarek!

117. showey47 says:

lmfao, only if we get belak

118. kenny_galloway says:

we could use sum tufness theres no question but belak cant play a regular shift imho we need someone who can play regular shifts score big goals and knock anyone out like darcy tucker but theres NO way the leafs would trade him

wut about like owen nolan in calgary

119. Jim M says:

Hire Ferguson, Milbury or Clarke as Habs’ GM, Gainey goes to the leafs. That’s the only way that deal will be made. But don’t walk under a bridge anywhere in Montreal because there will be a mass of people jumping off them that will make the lemmings be envious.

120. kenny_galloway says:

ya ok u make sense buddy, dont be ridiculous

121. habsgod says:

your telling me not to be ridulous!!who’s being ridiculous suggesting those trades?think before you speak if you don’t want to be attacked!!don’t go off at the mouth before the brain engages!!