Price recalled from Hamilton

As expected, the Canadiens have recalled goaltender Carey Price from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Monday.

He will dress for Tuesday night’s game against the Ottawa Senators.

Before being sent to the AHL, Price had a 9-7-3 record with a 2.90 GAA and a .907 save percentage.

1. Jim M says:

How’s it going, Ian?

I hope you enjoy the Bulldogs’ summit as much as you enjoyed the Habs’ one. The other people are going to enjoy you a lot, Ian. You are quite the guy and I really enjoy what you bring. Have a great time, even though I don’t think you know how to do otherwise.

2. Ian G Cobb says:

Funny and true Jim M

3. Ian G Cobb says:

His heart is willing and his speed has slowed over time, therefore the continues hooking to try to keep up. He takes a bad one nearly every game. I love the guy, but he is hurting us and the kids are watching.

4. mrstewart61 says:

What about from Halifax right all along the track?

5. Jim M says:

TommyB

I think this comes from the advent of video games. They start believing they are actually coaching or managing a team and after they win a few games, they think they are geniuses. Then they wonder why Gainey or Carbonneau can’t have the same success as them. It’s like the people who play great at Tiger Woods’ video game. But put them on a real golf course and they couldn’t break 150 even if they cheated.

6. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

if they suspend Kovalev ….we are done.
    ———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

7. Ian G Cobb says:

We need 4 goalers and we have 4 very good ones. Someone did there homework, we have great debth in this position.

8. 46_14_27 says:

You know, the LA Kings management probably knows more about hockey than the posters too but the team sucks. Not much point of posting if you can’t give an opinion.
    Back to Price, save% .89 and GAA 2.69. Halak way better in both catagories with THE SAME HAMILTON team in front of them. Come on man…
    See it for what it is. He’s not ready. If he can’t get the numbers in the AHL, how will he get them with the HABS?
    I watched every single game for the last 3 years. Halak is a better technical and positional goalie. Will he be next year? I don’t know. I just don’t want to see everything unravel like it did last year because of bonehead coaching moves. Carbo has been alot better this year but…….

Go Habs Go

9. Ian G Cobb says:

On the subject of Dogs summit, a great idea being talked about is a hab fan train, picking up fans along route. Starting in Mtl. and picking up others all along the track, right to Hamilton. How much interest is there in that one. Let us know.

10. Da Hema says:

It is off-topic, but I noticed Koivu is second on the team in PIMs. Second. He has more penalty minutes than Komisarek! I have to admit I am extremely frustrated with the volume and, more important, the kind of penalties he has taken this year. I think Carbo and Gainey need to talk to him. Enough is enough….
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

11. Ian G Cobb says:

That is right Tommy, we are very fortunate to have 1 bonified NHL goaler and two great kids as back ups.

12. Sulemaan says:

Actually I thought 24 Cups that ebk be right and I never have a problem with constructive criticism. It’s all good gents. ;-)

13. Ian G Cobb says:

Halak and Price are here to back up the only NHL goaler and our #1 that we have. A backup is a backup, just try to give them as much ice in Hamilton to keep them sharp. If # 1 gets hurt or needs a break, we can put in a backup.

They are not up here to start games unless it is needed. The competetion process for a # 1 is over, it is time to win as many points as we can. So you play the best NHL goaltender, the kids are still learning and are to be brought along slowly.

14. TommyB says:

The return of Price should come as no surprise…he was sent to Hamilton to get a workload, he wasn’t banished to Siberia. Some posters like to quote Price’s stats during his stint in Steeltown. They are not completely thrilled with the numbers. Have these guys considered that it is not the Montreal Canadiens playing in front of him in Hamilton? If Carey Price is coming back up then I have to believe that he is ready to come back up. Really, no surprise there.

And what about poor Halak? Some posters like to give the impression that they really care about Halak…they feel bad for him. Poor Halak is not being given a fair shake, they say. Closer to the truth is they don’t give a rat’s patoutti about Halak, but it does give them reason to rant about how stupid the Habs management is. In short, it fits their usual method of operation of waiting for any opportunity to pounce on something they feel gives them the chance to trash Gainey, and thereby demonstrate how much smarter they are.

If Halak doesn’t fit in Montreal’s plans….so be it! Huet was given an opportunity to show what he can bring, by playing a long string of consecutive games. He did well, in my opinion. Now management believes it’s time to bring Price back into the equation. I’ll trust they know what they are doing, and I’ll trust they know considerably more than I do. Pardon me, but I’ll also trust they know considerably more than pretty much all visitors to Habs I/O.

15. jew4jah says:

good call. halak just seems to be caught in the middle. everything seems to be about what to do with price & huet.
    i don’t think halak was brought up to play as much as price was sent down for conditioning.
    it’s easy to feel bad for halak but remember one thing…. he’s making a half million dollars this year!

16. Shiloh says:

I watched a game in Hamilton and he was very bad. He’s on his knees long before the puck gets to him every single time. It really looks bad when a shot is blocked before it gets to him – he has to get up even though he hasn’t made a save.

17. jew4jah says:

i think price got a shutout in his last start for hamilton. typical of the habs front office, is to react too quickly. it’s the inverse of panic after a big loss; switching lines and sending players back n forth to the minors.
    my guess is they’ll give him another start against toronto.
    these are the same decision makers who thought it was a good idea to play brisebois on saturday (don’t get me started about signing him in the 1st place)

18. the_larry says:

Yea I saw that too on the TSN ticker. If he gets just one game, then Kovalev certainly wont get any because Hollwig’s hit was much dirtier and more dangerous than Kovy’s.

If we haven’t heard anything about a suspension by now, I think he should be in the clear…hopefully

Habhopeful – Hollweg only gets one game? Man, life is cheap in the NHL.

The Original 24 Cups

20. mrstewart61 says:

I was just musing yesterday – instead of thinking about trading Ryder for someone to play with Koivu/Higgins, why not give Milroy a chance. He played decently last year.

Now about Smolinski…I wish he’d always play like he did against NJ, but too many games are like the last two. Washington – let Ovechkin get away…NYR – passed the puck to a Ranger on the third goal. That to me was the back-breaking goal. That’s why I agree with replacing him with Chips.

21. T-roy West says:

A little off topic but tsn has us ranked #2 even though we lost on sunday. Also Horcoff is gone for the rest of the season and Edmonton might be looking for a centre and the last time I checked we have a player in our system by the name Of Duncan Milroy who is from Edmonton. Mybe we might be able to pry someone from Edmonton now that they are desperate. They need a center, a winger and a goaltender because Rollie is done. Would’t mine Stortini on the third or fourth line and Pitkanen would probably be avaiable. Just some thoughts!

22. mrstewart61 says:

I’d have to see statisticl proof to agree. Conversely, that there is statisical proof that Huet shines in ‘non-pressure’ games. I would think they are all pressure games.

23. Habhopeful says:

Ryan Hollweg suspended for 1 game, nothing yet for kovalev and hopefully there wont be…

Sulemann – every once in a while ebk and I like to give each other a harmless hook – makes us feel like we’re Saku Koivu:-)

The Original 24 Cups

25. mrstewart61 says:

He’s gotta be mad!

26. coutNY says:

Hopefully the loss to NY will spark them to prepare for a battle, Because Paddock calls out his team citting the Habs, as an example of how to display themselves in a losing effort, this week. I am sure they’ll be ready with or without Heatley and Alfredson.

27. Spider-Man NL says:

I agree 110%

28. nick says:

any ideas as to what leads to the organizations lack of confidence in Halak?

29. 46_14_27 says:

It’s absolutley unbelievable that Halak gets sent down without playing a game. But what’s more unbelievable, is Price is on his way up. People, he sucked in the minors!! Check his stats, he got blown out at least twice and his save % is below .90 and GAA is 4.00 or something. Leave down and play Halak. At least you know what you got. I see the Habs really blowing a good thing with Halak on a hope that Price will be the next Patrick Roy. Good luck Bob and Guy.

Go Habs Go.

30. T-roy West says:

You have a very valid point and the answer is he should be able to if he is your number one goalie. If Komisarek and Hamrlik play every game and log the minutes that they do and take the physical abuse that they do every game then Huet should be able to play 95% of the games.

31. Ian G Cobb says:

We have a #1 goaltender and two backups. We play our # 1, 85% of our games. And the two back ups stay sharp taking turns starting in Hamilton. What is the mystery here.??