Price, Price and more Price

Pat Hickey’s take:

“There
was never any doubt that Price would sign and my only surprise was
that Gauthier seemed unnecessarily generous, giving Price $2.5 million
in the coming season and $3 million the following season.

“It’s a
bargain if he can surpass the numbers he put up as a rookie. But it
will be wasted money if he doesn’t improve over his performance since
February 2009. Since Price appeared in the 2009 All-Star game in
Montreal, he has looked like anything but an all-star. His record in
that period has been 20-32-10 which means that he has lost more than
twice as many games as he has won”

Interesting analysis from Arpon Basu:

” … a
$2.75 million cap hit over the next two years is a good deal for both
Price and the Canadiens. It gives both sides a good window to see what
will become of this talented young man who clearly lost his way at last
year’s All-Star break, but who hasn’t necessarily lost it altogether.
For Price, he makes a very decent wage and has two years to prove
himself. For the Canadiens, should Price completely flop his contract is
not an albatross and is only on the books for two years.”

Boone rants

• And in La Presse, Richard Labbé writes “with two weeks to go until the opening of training camp, Pierre Gauthier can breathe a bit easier. The most pressing issues have been taken care of, and the club can concentrate on hockey.”

At ruefrontenac.com, Pierre Durocher says the Canadiens were very generous in the amount of money they’ve shelled out for Price.

Bob Hartley predicts Price will be under enormous pressure.

And ticket packages go on sale online tomorrow.

or3Rob4e9uE

1. J.J. of Turku says:

That would three G’s… 😉

2. observer says:

you are 100% right

3. Drew42 says:

Yeah I need some tickets to that one too! I didnt know they were on sale yet…

4. jimmy shaker says:

Very true statement…..very true!

Shaker

5. jimmy shaker says:

I already know that MAB isn’t coming back….it’s more like wishful thinking, just how I wish they would bring back Dandenault.  Anyway my feathers are basically already gone……. another year or two and the locks will be totally gone.  If you still have your lettuce, keep it!  I would if I could!  We’ll keep it at a friendly bet I guess!

Shaker

6. sillywalk says:

The above game was painful to watch. 3 times the Thrashers came back right after MTL goals, and at least twice they pulled off the same play to deke Price that a blind rhesus monkey could have seen coming. Every time it was tied or they were down, MTL came back only to have Price asleep at the switch. Let’s not blame all of his woes on the offensive output of the team. Was it the rest of the team’s fault when they would have needed to score 8 goals to win by 1 in Vancouver?

7. notbigbird says:

Cammy has both talent and media savvy and will be around for awhile. We don’t know if Josh will be around for the long haul. I’m also unsure that BG will be here until his contract expires — just a feeling more than anything.

8. habaddict_andy says:

I’m afraid your alone in this one Jim.  You and RDS anyway.

9. Jordio-oh says:

Yeah, I’ll agree with that.

10. Storm Man says:

So can we make this into a bet? If the Habs bring MAB back I will shave my head( OMG I love my hair) and if they don’t you have to do the same. And the loser has to post the pic on here.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

11. Chorske says:

They don’t count at all, actually. They should be done away with, they are a waste of time.

12. jimmy shaker says:

No the +/- will be in the minus area (hopefully in the single digits) but the 15+ was referring to the amount of goals he would get.  Sheldon Souray like numbers at a fraction of the cost, am I right?

Shaker

13. Chorske says:

OMG I’d forgotten about the HOCKEY WIVES!

Seriously, you kinda made my noon hour by reminding me of that.

14. jimmy shaker says:

Love the clip for sure, but I’d love MAB to be back here.  15 goals from the backend at a crazy cheap price/caphit…..I say yes everytime!

Shaker

15. Chorske says:

My fave is still, we got Price for 8 million less than what the Blues paid for Halak

You can’t make up stuff like that. It’s like a nugget of gold. A nugget of something, at any rate.

16. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll supply the clippers!

Shaker

17. jimmy shaker says:

I think they take him on and by the new year Hammer is dealt for a bag of pucks so we get something in return for him rather than letting him go for free at the end of the year…. then when MAB is fully recovered he slots in and Hammer gets shipped out.  It won’t happen…..I know!  But I would like it to!

Shaker

18. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Josh for captain, Gionta and Gill with the A’s.

19. Malreg says:

I think even before this signing the plan was to move Malkin to the wing permanently.  They have no top 6 wingers besides Kunitz, and they have 3 top 2 centres.  Malkin is one of the worse centers in the league for faceoff’s, where Crosby and Stall are always at the top, so makes sense to switch Malkin.  Their top 6 will probably look like:

Kunitz – Crosby – Dupuis/rookie

Malkin – Staal – Talbot

20. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I hope OB has a big year too, I still don’t understand why he wasn’t dressed in place of MAB agaisnt the Flyers last spring.

21. KenD29 says:

Stubbs came across a little more reserved while Boone… let’s just say he was not impressed by Mr. Schwartz’s “creative” journalism!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

22. habaddict_andy says:

Gionta has all the criteria to become a captain.  It’s a no brainer, he’s our next captain.  Although Josh is very close second.

23. pic1983 says:

Ovechkin is the face of the franchise, their leading offensive player, a clutch goalscorer, a capital for life and he is quite vocal and fiery.  Hes a pretty good captain and will only get better.  Making Kovalchuk the captain of atlanta was stupid, and just a ploy to try to get him to sign an extension.

24. Storm Man says:

If the Habs bring MAB back I will shave my head.

25. volcano62 says:

pot meet kettle

26. volcano62 says:

+1 wtf is going on with this organization?

27. pic1983 says:

I agree, and I like Josh Gorges as a candidate.  As you said, its not about points, its about someone who goes to battle for his team night in and night out. If we can sign him to an extension than I would definitely give him the C.  My second choice would be Gionta.  His intensity is awesome.  He’s also a stanley cup champion, and a clutch performer.  Gionta definitely commands respect.

28. SLONCOLD says:

Boone and Stubbs really let that blogger/goalie coach have on tony’s show on the Team 990. Kinda funny how what he said created that much of a “booboo” with some of the jounalists. very interesting perspective from both ends.

Boone or stubs it would be kool if you guys could post a few things that you said and weigh in on it a little bit more; as most of us don’t really get to see the ins and outs of sports journalism.

29. KenD29 says:

Watch for Gionta to be wearing the C this year, Gorges will have the A until Markov is back.  Cammi the other A.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

30. RGM says:

Well said. Statistical leaders are one thing, locker room leaders are something different. To this day I still don’t understand Ovechkin as the captain in Washington.

The team is fortunate to have options for the C – there’s not a clearcut runaway favourite, and I’m hopeful that whomever the selection is it’s somebody that all of us can agree is a very good choice. Obviously I hope it’s Josh, but I’d be very happy with any of the other candidates.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

31. blu3chip says:

I can see why you are named “Jack S”.

32. KenD29 says:

Anyone have a pair for the game against the Bruins on Sat. Jan 8th that can not be used?

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

33. Kappy says:

IMO, Josh will not be named captain unless he signs an extention.  Therefore, I think that Gionta or Camalleri will wear the C.  My pick is Mike, I love the way he handles the media and he is are best player, next to Markov of course.

34. Eliisa says:

Where? I need some of these too!

35. J.J. of Turku says:

I share your opinion about Josh.

We have a few leaders who could all be captains but, I don´t see why the captain should be the guy who makes the most points…

36. Jbird says:

Just need to say that I got front row behind the net  seats at the Habs @ Vancouver game in February.

37. habaddict_andy says:

I assume +15 is the sarcasm.

38. Jbird says:

1a) Gionta 1b) Georges.  And this is a topic I want to discuss, unlike some other topic that you might have heard of.

39. avatar_58 says:

NO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOO

40. RGM says:

Thanks for mentioning this.

Arpon’s blog post this morning made mention that Price received 1.87 GPG support past season. Now, I don’t have the time to crunch those numbers myself but Arpon’s good people and generally pretty reliable, so I’ll run on the basis that he’s accurate. In order for a goalie to consistently win games when the team is scoring 1.87 goals per game, he’d need a GAA south of 2.00 – or at least in that vicinity since let’s face it some nights are going to be your 4-3 or 5-1 games – which would have him the league leader in that category. Only Rask, at 1.97, was under 2.00 last year. Obviously that would have been awesome if Carey was sporting a 1.86 GAA (and imagine the SV% on that!) but given that most of the best goalies last year were in the 2.20-2.30 range, it’s a little unrealistic.

Hockey is a team game. Sometimes the goalie is going to have an off-night, sometimes the offence isn’t going to click, and sometimes you’ll have both. All of those factors go into a loss. It’s not just “oh Price let in one bad goal and that totally deflated the team so that’s why they lost” – I think people tend to hyperinflate the negative value of a stinker goal against, given that they’re all professional athletes and shouldn’t be affected for the remaining 37:13 of the game if Carey lets in an ugly one at 2:47 of the second period.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!