Price on strike?

So says

The “story” is based on a Tweet by CBC-Montreal sports reporter Michel Godbout:

a very very reliable source close to Carey Price says the goalie wants
3 million per or he’s going on strike. Habs listening?

Hey, two “very”s to describe “reliable”. Gotta be true, right?

• In other news to raise your blood pressure, Gilles Courteau, president of the Q, is dissing the Canadiens for their insufficient attention to Quebec hockey.

• And Chris Chelios makes it official … for now

1. habstrinifan says:

Price’s agent earlier came out and said Price will be signed by end of August. If he lets this story swirl around the hockey world without a full and categoric denial and some insight into Price’s position then he is plain stupid.

2. Bill J says:

Perhaps Price admirers have jobs and must drive home.

3. Bill J says:

Nah – idiot fans who believe Eklund level rumors and crucify a hockey player for it are a fkin joke.

Some of you seriously need to go for a walk.

4. Bill J says:

See what I meant yesterday Brad ?

5. K-hab25 says:

Well since you through out the bait, I’ll bite. I said over month ago that comparables to Price, Rinne, Hiller, Leightenen, ect., are all making around 3 mill or so and if the Habs want to sign Price for 3 or more years, it’s going to cost them something similar to those guys. I didn’t mention the overpaid group, like Huet, Thomas, Halak, ect. So Price’s agent is no dummy, if the Habs won’t give Price 3mill, IMO, a hole lot of other teams will.

6. LA Loyalist says:

you know you can feel safe to share on this site. Kind of let it all hang out. Don’t be shy and tell us how you really feel.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

7. mike g says:

Np, don’t sweat it…lol

I was just trying to prevent a huge language debate or something…

You know how “they” love to protect themselves, eh?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

8. habs4eternity says:

Price making demands? who does he think he is?

he’s proven NOTHING!  I would trade him, because any goalie, journeyman, minor leaguer, is better than him!  Price is GARBAGE! I don’t like him, nor his attitude!

good riddans to him! trade the mother f’**** er.

9. HabsAndNothingElse says:

WOWWWW only word to describe this. Why are we so eager to sign someone like this he’s a fkin joke

——————– Habs Hockey Nothing Else Matters –CH–

10. RiverviewCanadien says:

Anyways, if this is the case, get rid of him. NOW!

11. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Don’t know if this was posted, but here’s a bit of habs trivia fun for you all.

12. The Cat says:

Notice how the usual Price admirers are very timid on this subject…

13. gohabzzzz says:

haha, good one 😛

14. ooder says:

now that would be something :O

and until this is proven to be true or untrue i am not going to say what i think..

cuz it’s not very nice.. and you guys wouldn’t want to see me when i’m angry

88 is the new 23

15. SeriousFan09 says:

It took Montreal less than 80 minutes of game time to throw Thoedore out of nets in the 2010 playoffs, it took the Rangers 60 in 2009. He can’t take the pressure of big situations and he’s already shown he can’t handle Montreal long-term. Theodore played for a team with overwhelming offensive power that knocked teams down before it became slugging matches that tested his abilities like he would be in MTL.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. Danno says:

Is the Price right or is it wrong?

Let’s ask Bob.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

17. says:

I think he’s not asking enough.  If I were him I’d want more to play in that arena and then less on the road lol!

They Call Me Shane

18. MathMan says:

Well, a negative story like “Price on strike?” is bound to attract clicks, so of course it gets up there based on a single Twitter citing a single source.

Then the fans can rave and rant and rave against Price and his immaturity and his selfishness, the story may or may not be denied, the hard feelings are stronger, and that makes the next Price-is-evil story easier to believe.

So it is with every Habs scapegoat that’s gone by since the lockout. Zednik, Ryder, Kovalev (until he redeemed himself by going on a ridiculous scoring spree), the Kostitsyns, now Price. Even Koivu was subjected to it on a low level.

It would be so nice if more media folks were more analytical and less sensionalistic, and tried to educate the public a bit instead of just validating their opinions, right or wrong, to attact more membership. That archetype hardly covers the entirety of the Montreal sports media, but there’s enough of it to perpetuate the image of Montreal media and fans as less-than-sophisticated and loudly ignorant.

19. puck face says:

wow. if this is true , what arrogance. i like the kid and felt bad about how he was treated but come on. doesn’t he have anyone close to him to say ‘ umm if you think you had it hard before , you are now going to be public enemy #1 with zero room for eror. ‘ he needs someone to be straight up with him and let him know he’s in no position to make demands…..then again 3 mil per is not that bad.

20. Josh says:

Hopefully Kovalchuk follows this path.

21. likehoy says:

jose theodore’s numbers were identical to carey price’s last year…and arguably, he played behind worse defense.

but that’s my point in the end, even if we can get niemi or theodore…price’s argument is pretty weak and he has little to no control to the situation as much as he hopes.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

22. Mr.Hazard says:

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

23. Exit716 says:

That Tweet Sounds exactly like Slapshot where Paul Newman planted the story of the Chiefs moving to Florida to his inside guy Dickie Dunn….

“Dickie Dunn wrote that…it’s gotta be true.”

24. slapshot777 says:

Yes,true I used the wrong word there. But you get the drift. If Carey doesn’t put pen to paper he might as well retire. The Habs will own his rights until he is 27 and they can make it difficult for Carey. The only play he would get to play is the KHL. Don’t think that the rest of the NHL is watching to see how Carey handles this.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

25. drivefor25 says:

For what’s it worth – and we’re a suspicious bunch here on Habs Inside/Out – Global BC TV News in Vancouver ran a feature on Carey Price last night. He was interviewed at the rodeo in Smithers where he recently competed.

Price, who’s had some top finishes in calf-roping events, explained his summer activites: “I’m a competitive guy and this gives me something to do in the summer…When all my friends are doing it, it made sense for me to join in.”

The sportscaster reported that Price is “not concerned” about his contract situation with the Habs. Price added, “I actually get more nervous doing this than I do playing hockey. I’ve been playing hockey all my life, so I feel more comfortable in the crease than I do here.”

I dunno… he looked very comfortable swinging a lariat over his head.

Fan since ’71

26. zozotheclown says:

I hope its not true, but in the unlikely event that it is, as SF pointed out down below, its career suicide.

Assuming of course that this is all true and there’s no other part to it, I would call him on his bluff. Keep the same offer and see what he does, if he really wants to strike a year at his age with the limited experience he has, good luck. The swirl of bad media attention he’d get would be crazy, all those stories about immaturity would resurface and essentially be proven true, its just too dumb a career move to be true. In any case the Habs could get along ok by trading him for a decent gain and then signing Niemi for less.

Personally I bet its just another stupid rumor with no reliable source, theres just no way someone like Price would stand to gain from striking a season, unless he’s so confident in himself that he thinks his play can overcome all the adversity this would create. And based on his play last season, I doubt his confidence/ego would be that huge.

27. The Cat says:

I dont know how ‘strike’ is the right word. He just doesnt have to sign anything, it doesnt make it a ‘strike’, does it?

28. LA Loyalist says:

Hey, August is over today. Tomorrow we can start on the real rumors. Price and his agent can’t possibly be this dumb.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

He just quits without pay and calls his career over!

30. LA Loyalist says:

Hey, Dryden sat out a year. 🙂

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

31. Mike Boone says:

You’re right, bro. My brain is still on vacation. And I was thinking of Jacques Courtois, who was team president from 1972 to ’78.

32. The Beer Guy says:

Let him walk, he’s in no position to demand anything! Prove you can play and keep your nose clean, so to speak.

You’re going to love my nuts!

33. HFX-HabFan says:

It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that the French media spits out a “we need more Quebecers” story on average of once a week.

The only thing he can do is quit, without pay. Do you think some other team will give him the whole ball of wax next year.? I don;t think so.!

35. Josh says:

How does an average player go on strike?

36. mbplekfan says:

Price doesnt have to sign the contract. You cant force a player to play.

37. The Cat says:

He was subliminally thinking of Jacques Cousteau.

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t think so, I very much doubt the CBA allows that.

If he refuses to play, he could destroy his career quite easily though.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. mike g says:

Hey Boone!

It’s GILLES Courteau.

Were in Quebec here, we can’t be makin mistakes with their names.

Our countr…..No, our province doesn’t appreciate that.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

40. mbplekfan says:

If the story is not true Price’s agent will step up and spike it.

If it is true then Price is making a bad mistake.

PG should immediately sign another FA goalie to a one year deal and leave Price on the sidelines.

41. slapshot777 says:

How can Price strike? Isn’t he a RFA without arbitration. Which means that the Habs can make Carey accept a contract to play next season.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Career suicide, 23-year old goalie sitting the season out when his last year and a half was less that perfect for extra money? He might as well start practicing his Russian to play in the KHL for the rest of his career. The attitude problems that would swirl around him following this would give him an eternally tarnished reputation.

Jose Theodore will not give us solid goaltending unless we’re at 4 GPG and Emery’s had some very career-threatening surgery, neither is a solid option for MTL going forward. At that point, the team is honestly better of getting Antti Niemi.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. Mr.Hazard says:

I believe it.

We “couldn’t afford” our #1 goaltender. FYI, Halak has a $3.75M cap hit in St. Louis. And now the guy who was outplayed 2 years in a row by him is asking for $3M? SORRY PG, looks like you can’t afford Pricey either.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

44. mike g says:

Bah, wtv…

It’s not like he wants a 17 year deal of over 100 million..

So for me, this is good and “very reliable” news.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

If true, he and his agent will learn a huge lesson. The day of huge contracts are over, especially for unproven talent at this level.

After they prove they can carry the load, then negotiate with a little strength. But blackmail or ultimatum if true, sends them packing in today’s economic situation. And so it should.

Again only if true,, he is ruining his reputation the longer this stuff goes on. And it may not be repairable. Only if this is fact. And it is not.

46. likehoy says:

carey price is trying his best to get bargaining power…

so what if he sits the year out? we could sign another goalie for about a million. save the 2 million on price to get a decent player. We could probably pick up someone like Jose Theodore, or Ray Emery for that price.

obviously neither goalie will give us excellent goaltending..but they will provide solid goaltending while our team continues to grow.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

47. Laramy87 says:

Give him the 3 mil for 2 sesons, see how he does. Underperforms, get rid of him…

48. The Cat says:

The way I see it. Im french and if people are so hellbent on seeing francophones play, they can buy tickets to go see the nearest Q team. I find it personally embarassing that teams in the maritimes do so much better at the gate.

49. Ricky says:

There are never any sources for stuff like this. I know others will jump on this just to put something else against Carey.

Hmm, RDS posted an article on there being not enough Quebecers on the team… Are they recycling news over there?

50. HFX-HabFan says:

Why is it Montreal’s fault that the Q is vastly inferior to the other two Canadian major junior leagues?

51. Laramy87 says:

This is not the 1970’s were the Canadiens owned all the rights to the french players. Sure its nice to have some home-grown french canadians on the team, but the fact of the matter is alot of these players do not like the pressure of playing in Montreal and hence do not sign here. French-Canadians are a talented bunch of players and ther are 29 other teams in the league who make note of this. The director of the Q is just throwing more gas on the fire, what a tool.

As for Price and the CBC report, there is absolutely nothing on the website, what the hell?