Price not among Vezina finalists

price-skate

The NHL announced the finalists for the Vezina Trophy today and Canadiens goalie Carey Price was not among the top three vote-getters in the polling of the league’s general managers. The finalists are the Canucks Roberto Luongo, the Predators Pekka Rinne and the Bruins Tim Thomas.

Price finished the regular season tied with Roberto Luongo for the league lead in victories, 38. He was second to Cam Ward in saves, the number of shots he faced, games played and minutes played.

But his goals-against average of 2.35 was behind Thomas’s 2.00, Luongo’s 2.11 and Rinne’s 2.12. And his save percentage of .923 was behind Thomas’s .938 (which is a new NHL record), Rinne’s .930 and Luongo’s .928.

Here is the NHL’s official relesase:

LUONGO, RINNE AND THOMAS NAMED VEZINA TROPHY FINALISTS

NEW YORK (April 22, 2011) — Roberto Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks, Pekka Rinne of the Nashville Predators and Tim Thomas of the Boston Bruins are the three finalists for the 2010-11 Vezina Trophy, which is awarded “to the goalkeeper adjudged to be the best at his position,” the National Hockey League announced today.

The general managers of the 30 NHL clubs submitted ballots for the Vezina Trophy at the conclusion of the regular season, with the top three vote-getters designated as finalists. The winner will be announced Wednesday, June 22, during the 2011 NHL Awards from the Pearl Concert Theater inside the Palms Hotel Las Vegas. The 2011 NHL Awards will be broadcast by VERSUS in the United States and CBC in Canada.

Following are the finalists for the Vezina Trophy, in alphabetical order:

Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks

Luongo backstopped the Canucks to their finest regular season in franchise history, capturing the Presidents’ Trophy for best record and posting the lowest team goals-against average (2.20). Luongo went 38-15-7 in 60 appearances, registering the best goals-against average in his 11-year NHL career (2.11) and his top save percentage since joining the Canucks in 2006-07 (.928). He tied for the League lead in victories, ranked second in goals-against average and fourth in save percentage. Luongo is a Vezina finalist for the third time, having finished third in the voting in 2004 and second in 2007.

Pekka Rinne, Nashville Predators

Rinne played a critical role in securing the Predators’ sixth playoff berth in the past seven seasons by registering career-best totals in all major categories, going 33-22-9 with a 2.12 goals-against average, .930 save percentage and six shutouts in 64 games. He ranked second among NHL goaltenders in save percentage and placed third in goals-against average. Beginning with a 4-1 win at Minnesota on New Year’s Eve, the first-time Vezina Trophy finalist started 42 of the Predators’ final 46 games, allowing two goals or fewer 28 times. He posted 25 wins in that span, second in the League behind San Jose’s Antti Niemi (27).

Tim Thomas, Boston Bruins

Thomas enjoyed a record-setting bounceback season after undergoing off-season hip surgery. He won his first eight decisions, which broke a club record set by Tiny Thompson in 1937-38, and won his first nine road games — becoming the first NHL goaltender to do so since Chicago’s Glenn Hall in 1965-66. The 2009 Vezina Trophy winner finished the season with a 35-11-9 record and .938 save percentage, eclipsing Dominik Hasek’s .937 with Buffalo in 1998-99 as the best since the statistic was introduced in 1976-77. Thomas also led all goaltenders in goals-against average (2.00) and ranked second in shutouts (nine).

History

Leo Dandurand, Louis Letourneau and Joe Cattarinich, former owners of the Montreal Canadiens, presented the trophy to the National Hockey League in 1926-27 in memory of Georges Vezina, the outstanding Canadiens goaltender who collapsed during an NHL game on Nov. 28, 1925, and died of tuberculosis a few months later. Until the 1981-82 season, the goaltender(s) of the team allowing the fewest number of goals during the regular season were awarded the Vezina Trophy.

You can read the story on NHL.com here.

1. Jdub1985 says:

They will win tomorrow and will win Game 6 … just because it feels like the most unlikely thing to happen … but the most unlikely things tend to happen in Montreal.

My girlfriend who knows nothing about hockey but her observation of my obsession said this to me today. The Montreal Canadiens are like an abusive relationship. For the dozens of redundant mistakes that fill you with doubt all it takes is one thing done right to win you back in full. That they’ll find a way to extend the pain of hope by their random acts of luck.

Dreading the growth of my itchy stinky beard last Spring and in fear of it this Spring, I told her not to worry. After last night’s triple collapse, it doesn’t look good. But she reminded me who I was dealing with. It’s the Montreal Canadiens. A team, as ugly and outplayed as they are, will find a way to steal a series.

I hope she’s right.

2. Considering he’s our HART nomination I figured no Vezina for Carey. Rinne wins hands down.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

3. marshx says:

Sorry to hear that for Carey, he had quite the bounce back season. The numbers, I guess just weren’t good enough. With a less depleted defence in front of him his GAA may have been better and a few more shutouts, oh well next season!

Go out and get the conn smythe instead Carey !!!

4. DarthWade says:

I wouldn’t give up on Price although his playoff record is a bit of a concern. To be fair to him though the team in front of him hasn’t exactly been on their A game either. They did the job in Boston then came back here and everything went out the window.

He’s getting better each year and I have faith in him. One thing the Habs need to do this summer though is some serious re-tooling again.

I hope next season they try to ease up on the rookies. Let them develop over the season. Call some people up from Hamilton and give them a shot – one that’s longer than a game. Get the courage to bench a veteran if it’s called for. Giving Gomez all those free passes must do wonders for the rookies who get benched for one mistake.

Price will win the Vezina and the Cup eventually. Just hope it’s with us.

5. habs001 says:

the bad news for us is that the bruins can get scoring from their 3rd line while we are lucky if our bottom 6 forwards score one goal combined every 5 games…eller may score goals in the future but today he is very limited in goal scoring…dd tries and can pass but his goal scoring has dried up…moen,white,pyatt will get you about 12 goals a season combined…halpern and darche are not consistent scorers..4 goals yesterday was a miracle for the team but we did not take advantage of it…..

6. FormalWare says:

Thanks, and no thanks, to my esteemed colleagues on this board. You have posted so wisely that you’ve discouraged me from weighing in. “What can I possibly add to that?” I ask myself. I’ve decided to add something, in any case. (Perhaps it’s the other HI/O readers who should thank you for keeping me mum for so long!)

The list of Vezina nominees is uncontroversial-everywhere except on this board, perhaps. Except for wins, Price has Top-5 or -10 stats; the nominees’ stats–especially the all-important Save %, are all better than his. It’s probably a good thing he and the Habs are not distracted by any individual award nominations; Thomas will win the Vezina, anyway.

It occurs to me that the Bell Centre hoopla actually detracts from the Habs’ ability to execute their game plan. When they came home for Game Three, someone posed the question: “Can the Habs play another perfect road game–at home?” We know the answer, now: “Hell, no!” It may be hard to accept, but I think it’s patent that, however wonderful the brand of hockey the Habs played during the first half of Game Four–that was not the Habs’ patented brand, “The JM System.” The players’ minds were clear and focused, with just enough nervous edge and sense of urgency, going in to Games One and Two, at the Gahden, and they were able to sustain that calm, effective, vigilant state-of-mind for pretty much 60 minutes, each game. In Games Three and Four, the Habs got too excited, went out too fast, like a 400m racer in the outside lane, and had nothing left in the final 15 (minutes or metres). At least our cagey Habs have managed to shed home-ice disadvantage.

The winning goal in Game Four came on an uncalled offside play. Does anyone remember the uncalled offside Bruins goal in Game Four of the last series these two teams played? At least that one didn’t come in OT!

Those of you who, like me, held your noses and watched Game Four on CBC, may have been equally struck by Glenn Healy’s trumpeting of Carey Price’s playoff losing streak at home, and his hyperbole in calling for Carey to have the third period “of his career”. He even declared the save on Marchand “the save of [Price's] career”. In the moment, I actually wondered if Healy might be pulling for Price. As it turned out, he only succeeded in sickening me.

That’s enough, for now.

Habs: Possessors of the league’s best PK–now, and for the foreseeable future

7. habs001 says:

we also have to remember that with markov and gorges out we are missing some key d pieces….while gill,hammer,spaceman, and sopel have good points but in todays nhl where speed is the key to have all 4 in the line up at the same time is courting disaster each night…just think if we were playing a team that had these 4 d in their line up i would say 90% of the posters would be so happy and confident that our forwards would dominate that line up….

8. HabFanSince72 says:

Goose for Easter?

I don’t know if it’s traditional but I fear the Habs’ goose is well and truly cooked.

9. MontrealAtheist says:

After his performances in games #3 and #4 a Vezina candidacy is probably the last thing that Price deserves.

If it wasn’t for Price we could have been up 3-1 in this series already

10. Trisomy 21 says:

A part of me wanted the habs to do the middle finger salute tomorrow in Boston, but then I remembered how classy we are.

And we’d get suspended for sures.

11. avatar_58 says:

Meh, beat out the so called Vezina at the other end of the ice and this award won’t mean anything

Price is a very good goal tender, and will be in this league getting better each year. Lot’s of time for him to get to be # 1 tender and a Vezina winner.

I did not see a vezina winner in Tim Thomas, although he is near the top.

13. Windwalker says:

I don’t get it. How can Gomez be a minus 7 in the playoffs and have such incredible amounts of ice time. Last night he was directly responsible for 3 of the 4 goals. I blame JM for this. It affects the team.

14. habs365 says:

will you can blame carey or blame his defence which ever you choose or both–the bottom line–the Habs allowed the most goals out of the four teams picked and that’s why carey price is not in the running for the vezina…..

15. Tony McLean says:

Price Eller Dawes Pyatt and Schultz for Halak.

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” – Red Fisher on the Jaroslav Halak trade.

16. they must have given Price consideration. He has improved substantially from last year he has so much talent just didn’t put it to work last year. good work Price never given up same with MTL staff not given up on the 5th overall draft pick in ’05.

Habsnation is still standing.

17. Trisomy 21 says:

The goals scored seem so black and white to several of the posters here *cough*deandalley. It seems win or lose, it’s always because of the goalie. It shouldn’t be.
    Ryder should never have been allowed a breakaway. Hammerlik was positioned well to screen price on no. 2. The next two, those guys in the crease should never have been allowed to stand in front all alone like that. And of course a 3 on 1. I’m not saying Price had a great game, he did make some key saves, and i think some of the goals, he’d love to have back. But he’s definitely not to blame. Those opportunities shouldn’t have been allowed to begin with.

Some people need to open their eyes and see how the defensive play fell apart. What we should be looking at is how some vets never take the optional practice, and play like they did yesterday, or consistently miss open net shots.

I’m a little disheartened but if they can play hard defensive style like they did in games 1 and 2, and have the ability to score that they showed yesterday, we have a chance. We are going to have to overcome Boston’s momentum, however.

• habsindepth says:

You forget the “No-Call” when Wisniewski was interfered with.. was that on Boston’s second goal or third goal?

===================================
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth

• ManApart says:

It wasn’t all on Price, but he simply has not been good enough the last few games. Below average play by your goalie leads to losses. It’s that simple. Thomas hasn’t been consistent, but has come up very big when it counted. I can’t say the same about Price. He still can turn it around. I guarantee you if he plays at the same level the next few games, The Habs are gone by next weekend.

• Tony McLean says:

Maybe I should be more diplomatic about it but I’m still stinging over the Halak trade and the 7 straight losses at home in the playoffs by Price gall me, you’re right. If your goalie isn’t your best player you’re toast. I hope he regains his form but the proof will be in the pudding.

• Mad Habber says:

You make it sound like the series is already over. Price has been as good as or better than Thomas. Thomas has been the better the last two games sure, but Price was better in games 1 & 2…

• Hoegarden says:

T21, the lad between the pipes is your last line of defence. So, it is CP vs Ryder, one on one. CP should have stopped this shot. Easy for me to say but that’s how it is. At the other end of the rink, we have a one on one between Cammer and the walrus. He stopped the puck. End of story.
      Picture this the other way around and we win the game.
      Yes, Carey Price is a much better goalie than Thomas but Thomas won his while Carey did not.

• Trisomy 21 says:

If Cammallari scored on the break away, nobody would blame Thomas, they’d say ‘oh, well it was a break away.’ I agree that Price could have had it, but you can’t jump on him for not. That’s like expecting 100% from him in shootouts. Even if you want to call it a bad goal. All I’m saying is this isn’t on Price’s shoulders.

• ManApart says:

Some of it IS on his shoulders Tri. As was game 3. That’s a fact. How much is debateable. It seems from a lot of people on here, Price gets all the credit when the team wins and yet they never want to admit he deserves some blame when they lose.

• Tony McLean says:

Thank you. No one should get a free pass.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I’m not doubting that he has to take some of the responsibility. I’m referring to the vast number of posts, mostly last night, that had people jumping off the Pricewagon and not being fair to where the blame should be.
            I believe nearly everyone could have been better, not just CP

• Old Bald Bird says:

But anything short of perfection must be subject to criticism — as long as it’s fair. I would say that when a goalie gives up 5, you have to take a look. It seems to me that CP has a tendency to drop early when he’s nervous, and I think he did that on two goals. But I stand to be corrected by the experts amongst us.

• Tony McLean says:

Self appointed experts? No one’s opinion is any more valid than another’s. You’ve made a good point. He’s young and something’s got into his head. It’s early, I hope he turns it around but I get this nervous feeling he’s got more than a little bit of Luongo in him.

• Mad Habber says:

I’m no expert, but I said earlier Price needs to play on his feet more. I was watching in game 1 & 2 and in game one he would make a save and jump to his feet and be in position to make the next save. Somewhere in game two during the second period he started making the first save then stay on his knees and play from there. It causes me heart attacks when I see him doing that.

I don’t know the Bruins said they wanted to screen him more and perhaps that was why he was on his knees more. But in game one almost everything was hitting him squarely.

18. onlychineseguy says:

Good news. So now Carey has extra motivation to play better than the last two games.

19. observer says:

how many chokes by luongo needed till people realize he is vastly overated?

• Hobie Hansen says:

He’s never impressed me all that much to begin with…

• Toe Blake says:

Canada was damn lucky to win the gold medal at the Olympics with him in the net. He was damned shaky in my opinion.

• Tony McLean says:

Amen but if Price continues this way he’s going to join the Luongo-Thornton club. I hope he doesn’t, he’s a very talented guy, he had a great bounceback regular season and was terrific in the first two games, I’m pulling for him. But the way he’s played the last two games is scarey.

• Toe Blake says:

You are right. He must be much, much better if they are going to get by the Bruins. I have given up hoping for something good from Gomez. He is a freakin’ lost cause and his salary is an albacore around the Habs neck.

• punkster says:

You and that freakin’ tuna have a thing goin’ on? ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Steven says:

When the playoffs started, I remember telling myself he’s a clutch player and we shouldn’t look to get rid of him.

The last 2 games proved me wrong.

Get him to Florida, or some team that needs to hit the Cap floor. He’s not doing anything here. I mean, I’d rather have Eller playing the 2nd line, and he’s far from ready for that yet.

• robb1 says:

Price is a decent goalie during the regular season, for the most part. You know, during an 82 game schedule there is really no great pressure or urgency to win most games. However, during a short play off series the pressure is there every game. And Price, like Luongo, tends to wilt under the pressure. So I guess he is as qualified as Roberto to be nominated.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

James Reimer is the best young goalie in the league. He will be challenging for the Vezina next year, not Price.

21. observer says:

Luongo and Rinne both stinking up the playoffs. This award should not be voted on! It should be how it was least goals scored on the team. Before you say well it’s because he had a better team, YES BUT SO IS THE GOALIES GOOD PLAY BETTER BECAUSE HE HAS A GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM.

Just another farce in the shyster BETTMAN HOCKEY LEAGUE.

• Chris says:

There is a separate award for least goals scored on the team, the William Jennings Trophy, which was shared by Roberto Luongo and Corey Schneider this season.

Not sure it makes any sense to hand out two trophies for the same thing.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The Vezina used to be like that: no voting, and it was shared by all the goalies on the team that gave up the fewest goals.

Michel “Bunny” Larocque won it four times!

• Chris says:

Yeah, I remember that they did that. But the reality is that we now have two separate awards, so I don’t understand why the Vezina Trophy should be changed when there is still an award handed out for the least goals scored.

22. habsindepth says:

Carey will get his chance. If he continues the way he played this year and comes as focused as he is now, he will get his chance. Next Year, or the year after, Vezina won’t be far from this kid. He has what it takes to get that cup!

===================================
    Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
    Twitter: @habsindepth

23. Chris says:

Pretty much what everybody expected.

Thomas is almost certainly going to win, and Rinne was a given based on his numbers for a team that few had going anywhere this season.

That left Luongo, Price, Lundqvist, Fleury, Quick and Niemi to battle it out for the last nomination. And Luongo’s numbers were simply much better, albeit while being aided by a stacked lineup in front of him.

24. kempie says:

You’ve got to be kidding me.

25. DavidKB says:

Price is, and will continue to be the best goalie for the Habs since Roy. He will be better on Saturday, and he will be better next year.

Who can help me figure out how to add an avatar to my profile?

26. LA Loyalist says:

Well, Price’s response should be to go deeper in the playoffs than any of the above captioned goalies. That would shut up all the experts.

It’s up to him to respond to last nights melt-down with a spectacular performance in Boston. We’re running out of 2nd chances.

My problem is I’m old enough to remember Montreal teams that played in the OTHER team’s end of the rink.

27. Josh says:

That sounds about right. Even though Price was extremely important in getting where the Habs were in the standings, those three goalies still had better statistical seasons.

28. Cookies says:

Wow.
    I understand the statistical advantage for the three goalies, yet it still feels like Price flew right over their heads.