Habs practise after Price named Molson Cup Player of the Year

The Canadiens announced on Monday morning that goaltender Carey Price is the Molson Cup Player of the Year for the 2012-13 season based on three-star voting by fans. Rookie forward Alex Galchenyuk is the Molson Cup recipient for the April segment of three-star voting.

Price, who was the Canadiens’ player of the month in February, finished ahead of Brendan Gallagher and Galchenyuk. The netminder played 39 games during the regular season, for a career total of 310, ranking him eighth on the Canadiens’ all-time list for most games played by a goaltender.

Price finished the regular season with a 21-13-4 record with a 2.59 goals-against average and .905 save percentage. He recorded three shutouts this season, giving him 19 for his career to rank ninth in team history.

Price was voted one of the three stars 15 times this season by fans. He was the first star four times, second star six times and third star five times. Gallagher was selected as a star 13 times (4-5-4) and Galchenyuk was a star eight times (5-1-2).

Price was on the ice with his teammates Monday morning in Brossard as the Canadiens held their first practice since learning they will face the Ottawa Senators in the first round of the playoffs, with Game 1 slated for Thursday night at the Bell Centre and Game 2 on Friday.

“It’s going to be a hard-nosed series … and a tight-checking game,” coach Michel Therrien said after the 50-minute practice. “That’s how we’ve had success.”

The Canadiens had a 2-1-1 record against the Senators this season and this will mark the first playoff meeting between the teams since the Senators returned to the NHL in 1992.

“Rivalries are born in the playoffs,” Therrien said. “There’s about to be one with the Senators and I’m happy to be a part of it.”

Therrien said he was confident heading into the playoffs and liked the way Price played in his last two games, saying “he’s our best player.”

The coach added that he appreciates having three days of practice before Game 1, but noted it’s the same for both teams.

The lines at Monday’s practice were: Gallagher-Eller-Galchenyuk; Prust-White-Moen; Desharnais-Bourque-Pacioretty; Gionta-Plekanec-Ryder; Halpern-Armstrong.

Defence pairings were: Gorges-Diaz; Markov-Subban; Bouillon-Tinordi; Kaberle-Weber.

Michael Blunden and Gabriel Dumont weren’t on the ice with the rest of the Canadiens but were expected to practise separately with Greg Pateryn, Nathan Beaulieu, Michael Bournival, Petteri Nokelainen, Dustin Tokarski, Robert Mayer and Louis Leblanc, who were all called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Hear what P.K. Subban had to say after practice by clicking here.

Hear what Jarred Tinordi had to say by clicking here.

Hear what Brendan Gallagher had to say by clicking here.

Get ready for a 417 playoff matchup, by Jack Todd

Sports psychologist put Eller on right track, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens vs. Senators series preview, NHL.com

NHL playoff preview capsules, montrealgazette.com

Ten players to watch in the postseason, montrealgazette.com

Round One playoff schedule, NHL.com

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

1,311 Comments

1. habs1992 says:

Oilers will win Draft Lottery

2. The Cat says:

I get that we’re in an age where tolerance is being preached and thats a good thing but its going overboard. They keep giving lectures in the schools on tolerance of others, usually gays, and lectures on how bad drugs are. I fear they touch these subjects so much, a lot of them kids probably think the world outside the school is mostly full of gays and drug addicts lol

3. habstrinifan says:

I dont agree with people being Leaf Fans.
    Many leafs fans are urban but not one is urbane.
    I think all Leaf fans should stay in the closet.

ducking for cover now!

Bill, great question on the player choices!
    Subban
    Plex
    Gallagher
    MaxPac
    Price
    Markov
    Methot
    MT
    Prust

Now, lets go with who would you pick for better 1st overall draft choice who didn’t pan out? ie. Who of the two would you have preferred to have picked.
    Wickenheiser or Daigle?

Edit: Coin toss for me on PK / Karlsson, the fact PK is not coming off a critical injury was tipping point for me. MT while I was not a fan of the hiring has been good and has more experience. I was a Homer on Prust, his intangibles are huge but I fear my pick was still homer based.

5. Mondou6 says:

I’m sorry, but Price winning this award is embarrassing. Unless it’s “most popular player among the fans”. Then fine. Otherwise it’s insulting to guys like Subban, Prust, and Gallagher, who had great years.

• Chwinsy says:

it’s based on fan 3 star selections.

• The Cat says:

True.

• ZepFan2 says:

True what?

True that this award is decided by the fans picking the three stars and Price was voted a star more than any other player by the fans?

If so, I agree.

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
        Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• The Cat says:

That its embarassing.

• ZepFan2 says:

Don’t be a hate’a

Blame the fans, not the playa’!

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
            Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• The Cat says:

Its embarassing for everybody involved.

• ZepFan2 says:

Not for those fans that voted for Carey.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
            Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

But it is based on fans popularity, were you not aware of the fact that Molson 3 stars have indeed become a fans pick during the game? And yes the other players on the team are aware of that.

• aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Ummmmm… Pierre… Did you read the article. Have you heard about the 3 Stars thing they do in the NHL during/after each game? In some places the 3 Stars are chosen by journalists. In MTL, its the fans who vote. According to the votes over the course of the season, Carey was The Man.

Also, let’s not forget that, except for a couple of dark weeks, Price had a genuinely excellent season.

• Mondou6 says:

I think Hab fans awarding Price an award that is some sort of quasi-best-player-of-the-year award is embarrassing.

If you were giving an award for Habs MVP this year, would you give it to Price? I mean, c’mon. It’s a bit ridiculous. Price himself is probably embarrassed by it.

• ZepFan2 says:

You do realise they vote for the 3 stars after every game. They didn’t vote to name him player of the year. All those 1st/2nd/or 3rd stars got him this award.

What is so hard to understand here?

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
          Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• punkster says:

No, no no, Zep…it’s clearly a Price Lovers Conspiracy going down here…and you’re part of it!

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• ZepFan2 says:

What? How did I get sucked into that vortex of hate??

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
            Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• punkster says:

You’re still not getting it M6…he wasn’t awarded this on some vote that was taken today…he was awarded it because of the number of times since the beginning of the season that he has been selected first, second or third star.

Fact is he could have suffered a career ending injury or been expelled from the country or lost on a heroic space mission to Mars in the past couple of weeks…it’s based on the silly fan voted game stars selection for the entire season.

What part of “the 3 stars as selected by the fans every single game” do people not understand?

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• christophor says:

Again, half of fans can’t look anywhere but at the goalie – with praise or blame.

• GrosBill says:

Well he had some poor outings at the end of the season but apparently he did play well enough to earn more stars than any other Hab……………

6. Lafleurguy says:

We need the appearance of avatars with Golden Retrievers in them and all will be right again on HIO. Things will calm back down to the manic level from the unilingual-coach-in-a-losing-season level it has been running at. (Remember the dangling participle joke?) To be fair to 1992, he has repeatedly tried to put out truce offerings.

“May you live in interesting times.”

7. HabFanSince72 says:

I disagree with that actor from SNL having sex with Olivia Wilde.

Just my opinion.

8. frontenac1 says:

@seps. Relating Hockey to Soccer is like relating Frontenac to the Pope. Don’t even try amigo.

9. Bill says:

@theKarl: sticking with MT! It’s Montreal … requires special skills and experience.

• TheKarl says:

nice, I would too. Although I have a lot of respect for McLean – in fact, I have a lot of respect most players on the Sens. Curious to see what form my hatred for them will take the next 2 weeks, because make no mistake it’s coming one way or another.

10. habstrinifan says:

Sometimes you stand on the sidelines and just read the debates. But then you read a sentence such as the one contained in habs1992 post.. “i dont agree with being gay” and cannot help but ask “are you effing for real?”

11. Bill says:

3 out of 4 Habs fans prefer Karlsson over Subban. Wow.

I forgot to ask: Prust or Neil?

12. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Dunno if this has been covered, but is there any timeframe for the return of Jason Spezza? And are the Sens still missing any other important pieces?

Also, captain Alfredsson always seems to be a Hab killer. This year, he only has 2 goals and 0 assists against Lea Glorieux, but still…

Go Habs!

13. Bill says:

@theKarl, Karlsson over Subban, really? I thought he was the one guy everyone would keep!

14. habbernack says:

Cary should see a sports psychologist too

• Strummer says:

I think in the final 2 weeks of the season the Habs’ sports psychologist was seeing a therapist.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

15. Bill says:

ANYWAY.

If you could have one or the other of these players, but not both, and you have to take them as they are now in terms of age and contract, whom would you take?

Subban or Karlsson
    Alfie or Pleky
    Gallagher or Conacher
    Michalek or Pacioretty
    Price or Anderson
    Gonchar or Markov
    Gorges or Methot

16. habs1992 says:

So if i were to say Ottawa has a real good chance at beating us this year, you guys would lose it on me then too, i much rather of face the leafs but i guess as long as we are in the playoffs who cares

• Old Bald Bird says:

Me too. We seem to be in a minority.

Edit: I have read below, and we have no agreement there.

• HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness to the commentariat there is a difference between “Ottawa might win the series” and “I don’t agree with being gay” don’t you think?

• habs1992 says:

completly agree and i understand why people would feel this way, i honestly do. But maybe in 50 years we will say remember when people thought that being gay wasnt right. Like it or not there are people out there that don’t agree with being gay and are homofobes, every1 knows there is a stigma about being gay that is why this is such big news. If every1 thought their wasn’t this story would not be as big as it is. One of the ESPN anylyst shared the same view point from me, and said he does not beleive in gay marriage, his name is chris broussard

• aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

If you learned how to spell even 3/4 of the words you use I might take some of what you have written under some kind of consideration. Alas, your orthography mirrors your idiocy.

Have you ever known an (openly) gay person? Because you sound like a South Park character. And same-sex marriage is nothing less than a human-rights issue. This is not about what you “beleive” or believe. This is about our homosexual brothers and sisters having the same rights under the law as their heterosexual siblings.

Grrrrrrrr.

• GrosBill says:

Have said all along I wanted the Leafs in the first round. Think Ottawa will be a much tougher series.

17. The Cat says:

1st round predictions….

Pitt in 5
    MTL in 7
    WSH in 6
    TOR in 7

MIN in 6
    ANA in 7
    Van in 5
    LA in 6

• Say Ash says:

MIN in 6 – seriously?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Is there some way we can pin everybody down on their predictions. I would post all of mine in my bio, but after the playoffs prove that I was 100% correct some jealous person would just falsely accuse me of having edited my predictions. Any ideas?

• Habfan10912 says:

I think that’s a great idea Sean. Maybe Cal or someone who has a website could create a some sort of a log where we could post our predictions? Next time I see Cal in the room I’ll ask him if he has any ideas. I also know that HardHabits is like a computer techie genius so he might have some ideas as well.

18. Bill says:

Is it possible to not “agree” with someone being gay? If he’d say he “dislikes” gay people I guess that is always possible. But … “Disagree”? Funny way of putting it.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

This whole discussion is ridiculous…it’s 2013 for heaven’s sake…

• Adam says:

It’s like saying you don’t “agree” that you require oxygen to survive. It is literally that ridiculous.

I’m fine with him having his opinion, but he needs to know his opinion is stupid, illogical, wrong and bigoted.

19. habs1992 says:

Adam it still takes a man and women to make a child, you need sperm and you need an egg from a women. Still man and women so your argument is wrong, Im done talking about this subject lets move on

20. geo_habsgo says:

What happened to Drewiske? Is he injured?

21. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Hearing a lot about how ‘vulnerable’ the Bruins are…

Imagine how ‘invincible’ they’d be if they were playing the Habs in the first round?

• Habfan10912 says:

My fear is that after sweeping the Leafs they find their MoJo and provide a tougher challenge. Sometimes like Yogi said, the game is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

22. VancouverHab says:

In defense of Moen, I’m responding to this:

“I loathe this player. He doesn’t hit, he doesn’t fight, he doesn’t score, he doesn’t make plays.”

First off, what kind of fans are we if we sneer at and belittle a player who has been a faithful servant for us, just when he has an off year? We’ve got to be classier than that.

(But absolutely fair game complaining about his production in an off year, of course.)

Second, this is so many ways wrong, where to begin? Moen has a long and honourable Stanley Cup-winning career founded on on hitting and grinding. He’s not a fighter as in a goon, but he answers the bell when he needs to: his fight card is here.

He doesn’t score or make plays? So we kick everyone off the team who doesn’t score or make plays? Way to go, genius: then our scorers and playmakers no longer score or make plays…because the griders who eat up the minutes, kill the penalties, and open the space don’t grind.

Moen is in the line of Hab unsung heroes who create a winning team in their ….unsung way. (He’s in line with Mike MacFee in the 80s…)

• The Cat says:

I like Moen and agree with everything you say but hes got to make himself essential more.

• Ian Cobb says:

Tom!
      Your post is of great sensitivity. Wonderful my friend!!

• Habfan10912 says:

Vancouver, good post. I suspect Moen will be a different player in the playoffs. Players like him often are.

• Maritime Ron says:

What I would have liked to have seen from Moen this year would have been if just a few times, he would have tapped Prust on the shoulder before a game and tell him that he would take care of business.

Perhaps some criticism is warranted after the Habs gave him the best guaranteed contract of his entire NHL career.
      4 years/$7.4M.

As for the rest, the final report card should only be done once the playoffs are over.
      As the old Zen Master said, ” We’ll see.”

• habstrinifan says:

I like your post a lot. Well written and shows a person who values his friends.

• Et le but says:

I agree that Moen has been a huge disappointment this year.
      I remember the start to last season; Moen was playing arguably the best hockey of his career when he went down with an UBI.
      There was never an official confirmation of the nature but there have been several suggestions that he was severely concussed.
      Either way, he is a shadow of the player he was pre-injury and I feel for the guy personally…a good teammate IMO

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry Mike McPhee was a much better hockey player than Moen…

• vancouverite says:

A pair of vancouver-based hab fans who agree . Well said
      VancouverHab, d you tknow any hab-friendly bars in the city??

• VancouverHab says:

The French Quarter in Maillardville was the one I knew of, so stopped looking ;–) I’ll ask around and post if I know of any others..

• Et le but says:

The Sin Bin….
        Went two times in late Feb while out West; both victories by the Habs over the Rags, 3-1 and 3-0.
        The owner is from Montréal as is the manager…Andrea I think.
        They played the RDS feed and audio at my request…felt like I was home.
        Enjoy!

23. Loonie says:

@Habs1992,

Maybe it’s just my nature to come out guns blazing but it’s taken a lot of restraint on my part to not go on a huge profanity laced tirade directed at you about this issue.

That issue being you saying Jason Collins came out of the closet to improve his job prospects as an NBA player.

Your words resemble those of somebody with zero life experience. Those words being that it isn’t a big deal to those around him. Of course that ignores the main issue entirely.

Here’s some things to consider…..

1. How often do you think Jason Collins as a thirty plus year old NBA player has been in a locker room and heard the word “fag”, “queer” or “homo” used to describe something or somebody?

2. How often in pop culture do you suppose he’s heard that there’s a stigma attached to homosexuals in that they’re perceived to not have any athletic ability?

3. The man has probably had more sleepless nights than he can count thinking about how his teammates, friends, the media and the World would view him as an openly gay professional athlete in a Sport where he would be the first.

Now I’m not an expert, I’m not even homosexual. But I think that Jason Collins probably had a bit more to contemplate in making this decision than his prospects as a free agent in deciding to come out of the closet. If he didn’t, he would have come out of the closet earlier.

And you should really consider for a moment what it would mean to come out of the closet if you were gay. I have an in-law who did it not too long ago and while the anticipation toward coming out ravaged her more than the aftermath, it ain’t a picnic bud. And she’s just an every day person free from the scrutiny of the public eye.

• Psycho29 says:

Excellent post Tom…

• Habfan10912 says:

Tom, thank you for your restraint. Those of us that have come to know you now understand the knowledge and personality that you bring to this site and there are times your emotions or as you call it, “the guns blazing” can get in the way of your messages. Your restraint has allowed you to clearly state your case.

I never presume to fully understand the impacts of prejudice or racism by those that it impacts. I’ve had the honor and privilege to know, work, be family, and be friends with many who have felt it because of the color of their skin, religion or sexual preference. Sadly I am sure their lives have been made more difficult because of it.

I could never put into word as well as you have in your response to someone who is clearly misguided and/or inexperienced. The very fact that the media is making such an enormous story out of this places emphasis on how uncommon and brave Mr. Collins is in coming out. I pray for a world where someones race, religion, lifestyle is no longer a story. We should judge people on their actions and their actions alone. Cheers.

• Ian Cobb says:

TOM !
      Watching the Bulls here.???

• HabFanSince72 says:

Well said.

• TheKarl says:

I tried to be more diplomatic in addressing his baseless and ignorant comments but THIS is effing spot on. Thanks for writing this Loonie.

• Adam says:

AAmen. That so many are calling this a career move, or denigrating Collins in other ways (not to mention the pure, disgusting homophobia) says a lot about people’s understanding of what it means to face prejudice. Sure, the Internet amplifies the voices of the stupid and angry, but it’s still there, and it’s horrifying.

Collins is a hero – it’s that simple.
      As for this @Habs1992 character, he says he does not “agree” with people being gay. So his opinion on the issue should matter somewhere between “zilch” and “not at all.”

• Psycho29 says:

When I first read his posts (Habfan1992)….I thought, “How old are you, twelve?”….and the more I read his posts (He doesn’t “agree” with someone being gay / “Girls” don’t belong in locker rooms)……I’d like to apologize to all twelve year olds.

• Adam says:

Most 12 year olds can recognize bigotry when they see it. Some can even form a cogent argument. This guy can do nothing. You tell him that science has proven the “normality” of homosexuality, and he just says he doesn’t agree with it. So there you go – he disagrees with science. Not much you can do with a guy like that, except hope he never reproduces – which would be fitting considering his concern about gay peoples’ inability to do such.
          There, I’m done. Wasted enough effort on this shmuck.

• habs1992 says:

I have nothing againsts gay people, but no matter what you or anyone says it is not going to change my opinion, if it makes your life better and you are happy that is all that matters it should not matter what i think or you think. All i said is i dont agree with being gay and i have my reasons too, but i hope Collins has a great life and can be happy now on his decision

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! Just catching up my HIO reading and already impressed by the stand-up quality of couple posts, one of which is yours Loonie.

• habs1992 says:

But now that we both have had our say, i say we move on, as we could go on for hours. And talk about hockey

24. Maritime Ron says:

Funny how things go sometimes. One of our present Ass. GMs Rick Dudley was the GM for Ottawa for one year from June ’98-’99. And who did he replace? Pierre Gauthier.

• Habfan10912 says:

Wow! I did not know that. Thanks for sharing that little tidbit, Ron.

BTW Ron I just saw your post in regards to the Leafs/Bruins series and I couldn’t agree more. I actually can see the Bruins sweeping that series and told a Bruin fan buddy of mine that this morning.

25. Bill says:

Et le but, you’re right I should have said trolls. That’s my mistake, I pride myself on my grammar!

26. Chilly Willy says:

TheKarl you said “Price just needs to win a playoff series”.

Price won the very first playoff series he ever played. He would have won another if his team could have scored 2 or 3 more goals in 2010.

27. scott9002ca says:

I just remembered a few months ago when character took that instigator and cost the Bruins the game. Now it cost them the division title!

28. ZepFan2 says:

@sportfan

You want to someone that Gally can use as a role model? Look no further than the Habs themselves.

5′ 7″ Henri “Pocket Rocket” Richard. 11 time Stanley cup winner. Captain. Winner of the Masterton trophy. 1259 GP.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
    Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

29. Lafleurguy says:

@Sholi: Your list of all-time Habs goalies is fascinating. Those above Price are Hall-of-Famers, those below are not (nor will Propecia-boy be inducted in the future). Carey in figurative-terms sits on the fence. The critical time for him begins with these playoffs.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• I can remember after is first full season saying I couldn’t wait for when he’s 26. He’s close to that now so let’s enjoy the ride….starts Thursday but it will continue on for a while. We all see something special being built here. Pretty exciting.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

30. Bill says:

@Christophor: correct, I was saying that your post was encouraging to trolls by giving them attention. Not that you were trolling. I thought I was clear but evidently not clear enough, haha, sorry.

31. Maritime Ron says:

Chris Neil over Moen?
    Any day of the week. Neil will give you 10 goals a year, sticks up for his mates, and makes his guys play bigger.
    Contrary to goons, he is also a playoff factor.
    In the last 2 years when the Sens played playoff hockey – in 2010/12, Neil had 5 Goals/2 Assists in 13 games.

What does “MT” stand for in Twitter language?

33. Timooo says:

I love price! Very deserving and will lead the CH to 6 game series win

Timooo=Timo with more Cowbell!

34. otter649 says:

Thought Toronto not playing Montreal in the playoffs since 1979 was a long time but Boston vs Toronto is even longer 1974 & Bobby Orr was playing for The Bruins & the series went 4 straight for Boston just like it was 4 straight for Montreal in 79……

• Blondemon says:

The long time is a deceiving one. All through the 80s and early 90s they could only meet in the finals. And this past decade, the Leafs didn’t even make the playoffs. I’m surprised we haven’t played the Sens in the playoffs yet, but then we didn’t hold our end of the bargain missing the playoffs in ’95, ’99-’01, ’03, ’07, ’12.

***Drive for 25***

• Timooo says:

Not the 70s anymore…leafs win this one in seven

Timooo=Timo with more Cowbell!

35. habsfan0 says:

When Don Cherry made those questionable comments about female reporters in men’s locker rooms, he was wearing the same suit jacket and vest he was wearing on May 10,1979(the night of the too many men on the ice incident). Maybe he thought he was back in 1979.

36. Seps says:

@Bill, in my mind Moen has always been that way. Never been a fan he’s always seemed useless. Whenever he’d play with Gio and Pleky as a top six guy (clearly shows why we were a lottery pick last year) he’d try to dangle even though relatively he has no hands. He’s a tough guy who thinks he’s Martin St Louis.

37. frontenac1 says:

The Reemer tough? Are you kidding? Last year Gio KO”d him on a drive by.

38. Maritime Ron says:

We all know that you can throw the logic book out the window when playoff time comes around – and there will be a few upsets as there always is, yet how can anyone pick Toronto over Boston?

Some are saying Boston did not finish well and there may be a few reasons for that. First the city lived a traumatic experience with the Marathon. This also caused a Bruins cancellation added to another snow storm cancellation forcing them to play 6 games in 9 days with 2 sets of back to back games to end the season.

Goaltending:Rask is FAR superior to Reimer who has never appeared in an NHL or AHL playoff game. Last Saturday night in a ‘playoff atmosphere’ you saw what can happen to rookies.

D: Rest assured the Boston coaching staff is reviewing the tape from last Saturday night. What they will see is a Toronto defense that is completely immobile, panicky, and prone to giveaways as they lead the league in that category. Bruins? Even though Chara may have lost a step, he is still 1 of the supreme shut down guys in the NHL

Forwards: Leafs have the Kessel line – the same Kessel that has not scored an even strength goal against the Bruins since the trade. There is little secondary scoring for the Leafs and their bottom 6 are not very good. The Bruins Top 6 will destroy the Leafs D, and watch for a gang of Bruins goals from their Bottom 6.

Boston in 5-Max.

• Blade says:

Wow…I posted my Bruins in 5 post exactly one minute before yours…great minds think alike.

• GrosBill says:

Picked the Bruins in 6 in my hockey pool even though I was leaning on 5. Just the Bruins have looked pretty awful as of late. I occasionally read Bruin sites, Chara and Lucic both taking alot of heat from Bruin fans atm. But to me, Bruins hold the advantage in almost every aspect.

• Maritime Ron says:

Just a hunch, but I see Lucic having a big playoffs after a disappointing season and also knowing he needs to justify that new contract that takes effect next year
        3 year/$18M

39. Blade says:

Just can’t agree that Toronto will beat the Bruins. I think Toronto gets exposed HUGE in Beantown. Kessel will not be a factor (never is against Boston) and they just are not as tough a tam as everyone in Toronto is making them out to be. Boston in 5….I would say 4, but Reimer will pull out 1 win….

• Maritime Ron says:

I didn’t see your post :-)

• Toronto had a chance to show their stuff Saturday night, what showed up is pretty much what will show up this week.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Blondemon says:

I disagree guys. They were flat Saturday sure, but they will beat Boston. Who are Boston’s top 6 anyway? Jagr, Lucic, Horton. All insignificant players. Their only offensive threat comes from the Bergeron line (and it’s a great line) , as well as Hamilton and Chara. And Rask is a question mark.

***Drive for 25***

• GrosBill says:

I guess one could still argue about Rask, but at this point I easily give him the nod over Reimer. To me Bos has better goaltending, better Dmen and more depth up front. Cant see Toronto beating them, not to mention that is something that has been very difficult for Tor to do in the Kessel era (Kessel has also been non factor vs bruins).

• Blondemon says:

If I’m not mistaken, this is the best Kessel season yet. And Kadri is dynamite, Lupul is very good as is Bozak, with guys like Grabovski, Komorov, Kulemin who could also score. Franson and Phaneuf are solid as much as I hate the latter especially (but you’re right, Boston is probably better on D and goaltending).

***Drive for 25***

• Maritime Ron says:

Kessel will go MIA and Campbell will take care of Kadri very early. He will be a non factor. The pylons on D will be exposed

• sevenman says:

Who are the Leaf’s “significant” top six?

_________________________________

Full-time reader…..part-time poster

• Blondemon says:

Lupul, Kadri, Bozak, Kessel. It drops a bit to their other forwards, but overall up front I like Toronto better than Bruins, given Lucic, Jagr, and Horton are duds.

***Drive for 25***

• Blade says:

Bruins top six would include a rather impressive playoff performer named Tyler Seguin…just way too much depth. I know they haven’t played well, but neither did Montreal. I don’t think Bruins get through the conference…but they will beat Toronto…handily

• Blondemon says:

I mentioned the Bergeron line, dynamite. They gave the Habs fits all season. Apologies, I forgot Paille who really impressed me in the game vs Habs and last night. He makes it closer, but I still give the nod to Leafs as far as scoring punch.

If the Leafs can discover what the Habs do to neutralize Chara or make him a mere mortal, they can win easily.

***Drive for 25***

40. habs1992 says:

honestly who cares if some1 likes men, i like women who cares, but i question why wouldn’t he do this a couple years ago, i understand the whole debate about courage and such. But it just happens when he is 34 a free agent and played on one of the worst teams in the league and he is a bench player at best, i doubt he will play again. But i dont want to see the argument because he is *** he will never play again and that is the reason why he didnt get a contract.

• Seps says:

Who are you talking about?

• habs1992 says:

the basketball player Collins who came out of the closet today, i respect his decision, i just question the timing i really think it was more media driven and propaganda and perks that go with it , i just wish that it would be a guy who has a contract and is an ALLSTAR

• TheKarl says:

Holy hand grenade are you focusing on irrelevant side notes and suggesting he had motives you have factual basis for suggesting. The big point is this – thanks to him, announcements like his will not be considered news in the near future. He is a pioneer and will rightly be remembered as one.

• habs1992 says:

most people dont even care if you are gay, this is not even close to Jackie Robinson where people did not like the black community at all, all i wish was he did it when he was playing, and why wait, now if he doesn’t get a contract is going to be because he is gay, when really its because he is not a good player

• TheKarl says:

ok, let’s focus on his irrelevant contract status: did you ever consider that he did it now so that he can feel confident that any team which potentially signs him today is signing him for everything he is. Even better then that he did it as a free agent.

You’re missing the point by focusing on the fact the he is a FA, he has paved the way for gay athletes in North America to continue doing what they love without having to lie about who they are.

• Loonie says:

The guy should be getting a Nobel prize for Christ’s sake. The child you’re speaking with about this would rather have him hanged.

• Adam says:

Nobody cares if someone is gay? I’m sorry, but what rock do you live under? In the United States, gay people are not allowed to marry the people they love – and if you think this is not a big deal, you are unaware of the severe legal repercussions this has, not to mention the shame of not being able to officially recognize a loving relationship.
      In France, massive anti-gay riots, complete with calls to murder homosexuals, erupted following the passing of legislation legalizing gay marriage.
      You say people don’t care? I say you should tell that to Matthew Sheppard, and the thousands of other victims of anti-gay violence in the United States.
      Quite frankly, your ignorance is shameful. Educate yourself before you deign to speak on a subject.

• habs1992 says:

never said i want to see the guy hanged, throwing words at me i didnt he say, just like you said don cherry is racist and he is not, i dont agree with being gay but i have nothing againsts it, good for him be happy live your life

• Adam says:

I said Don Cherry is a racist? Talk about putting words in peoples mouths.
          You, however said, and I quote “most people dont even care if you are gay.” You are clearly, empirically wrong. I look forward to you taking that back.
          As for not “agreeing” with being gay, that’s like saying you don’t “agree” that people need oxygen. You might not believe it, but you’d be wrong, and should expect to be called out for it.

• Loonie says:

He’s referring to me.

• habs1992 says:

no that stateent was not directed at you it was to loonie, i dont agree, big difference just my view i still accept it when people are gay and really have no problem just i dont agree with it

• Adam says:

What does that even mean, you don’t “agree” with people being gay? You think they choose it? Or you expect them to repress their sexuality? Either way, you’re wrong. It is simply an indefensible position.
            Here’s what I disagree with: bigotry. The difference is, I can back up my stance with facts, not to mention simple morality.

• habs1992 says:

Adam you are a hypocrite, you say im a bad person for judging people yet here you are juding me, i just dont agree with being gay i think were meant to love between men and women that is why we make a children. 2 guys 2 girls cant make a child, but 1 man and 1 women can, the whole point of life is children. We need to reprouduce or their is no life or no world. I dont go around preaching it or saying dont be gay i am simply giving my view

• TheKarl says:

Habs1992 – this is my pre-emptive response to everything else you write – http://i.imgur.com/octE4.gif

• Adam says:

You judge people based on who they love. I judge you based on your bigotry. Huge difference. Your view is wrong and hateful – based on willful ignorance of scientific consensus regarding the normality of homosexuality. And no, it does not take one man and one woman to make a child, and it has not since the introduction of in vitro fertilization – hence their being many gay couples with children of their own, related to them genetically. People like you need to be shamed until they reevaluate their views. Or would it have been wrong of me to judge people who supported Jim Crow laws? After all, people who lynched black men were entitled to their opinions too, weren’t they?

41. habs1992 says:

It is funny to see all this Don Cherry talk, just shows you how big this man really when he says something people listen and debate he really is a Canadian Icon good or bad

42. christophor says:

Predictions:

- The Habs win 2+ cups in the next 10 years.

- When the Next Big Thing plays in goal for the Habs in the late ’20′s, DorvalTony, AceMagnum, HabPerspective, et. al. will whine about how poor the Habs goaltending is and how it’s nothing like the good old days, when Price never had a bad game, always played with ‘heart’ (whatever that is), and so on.

- The moderates will point out that indeed, contrary to Habs-Goalie-Mythology, Price had some slumps, was criticized, and didn’t have amazing stats every year.

- DorvalTony, AceMagnum, HabPerspective, et. al. will reply, “How dare you compare Next-Big-Thing to Price?!”

Lesson: while Habs fandom is impressive in lots of ways, Habs fans are the least rational when it comes to evaluating goalies and determining the role and importance of goaltending in hockey.

• Bill says:

Don’t feed the troll.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• christophor says:

I’m feeding future trolls!

• Et le but says:

I think he meant you…
          OOOps…is that feeding?

• christophor says:

Don’t feed myself? I’m pretty sure you deserve a mention in points 2 and 4. Good work.

• Et le but says:

think he was warning the rest of us not to feed you…
            Shoulda listened to him evidently…

• christophor says:

Pretty sure you read wrong. Pretty sure he was referring to anti-Price trolls (not the same as reasonable Price critics, by the way). The translation, I believe, is “don’t write this kind of stuff because you’re feeding trolls”.

So how you can interpret it the way you did is a mystery.

• Et le but says:

Fair enough…

• christophor says:

Well I did interpret you as defending Price trolls there, so if you’re not one, then I misinterpreted as well. Misinterpretation all ’round.

• TheKarl says:

Price just needs to win a playoff series (post Halak) and 80% of the haters will disappear…. Confident he can finally do it against Ottawa.

• sevenman says:

Price haters will never disapper. Price could take this team through three rounds, lose the Finals in seven games and all you’d hear is that “Price sucks in the playoffs..blah,blah,blah :….

_________________________________

Full-time reader…..part-time poster

• Seps says:

My favourite thing about DorvalTony is when he relates Hockey to Soccer. Can’t handle it haha.

43. habsfan0 says:

Don Cherry apparently to issue a retraction re: his comments on Saturday night.

This Boston-Toronto series has him all confused.

44. frontenac1 says:

Drewski rode the pine and the plane for the Kings in last years playoffs. Expect him to do the same this year. It is all about appeasing the Gods of Mojo.He has to be present to win the Cup.

45. habs-fan-84 says:

lol @ Hickey

46. Sportfan says:

Wonder if any of the Bruins will just run over Reimer? I mean Price is a tough kid and would probably beat up anyone who tried to pull that, but I don’t know bout Reimer.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

47. Carta-Hab says:

I’ve been hiding in the woodwork for the past few months, just in case no one remembers anything I have posted in the past haha. I have never been able to take part in this site as much as the more frequent contributors do, and they make VERY useful contributions. That said, where the heck do you people get the time haha? I am lucky to have a free hour a day after work, taking care of children, and everything else :-).

I am absolutely pumped to be able to enjoy playoff hockey again. I have to say that I was dreading a leafs/habs matchup, and not because I thought the leads would necessarily beat them, but because I don’t think I would be able to enjoy the series due to the drama and inevitable back and forth flame fest which would most undoubtedly occur between the two fan bases. So, a Sens/Habs series is fantastic.

Subban vs. Karlson. Arguably the two best offensive defencemen in the entire league and also possibly the two most recent Norris winners (if Subbans win it this year). Seeing the type of players they both are, I would not be surprised to see them trying to one up each other all series long.

The rookies. Both of these teams are blessed with a wealth of young talent. Gallagher and Conachar are both similar in a variety of ways, and are both in the running for the Calder. Should be a great matchup between these two, not to mention the other young lads at play (Chuckie, Zibenajad), etc.

I am also looking forward to two passionate fan bases watching their teams play each other for the first time in recent memory. Can’t wait for it to start. I am also going to try to join in the discussion with you fine people as playoffs only happen once a year, and in some cases are over much too quickly. Go Habs Go!

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

48. commandant says:

Playoff Previews coming out over the next couple days.

Russ on Blues Kings

Mitch on Canucks/Sharks

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

49. Dr.Rex says:

1st round predictions….

Pitt in 6
    MTL in 6
    NYR in 7
    Bos in 3

Chi in 5
    Det in 7
    Van in 4
    STL in 7

50. Loonie says:

Carey Price is awesome. Drafted fifth overall, stellar start to his career.

A bit of struggles in his second and third seasons and a great bounce back in the last two.

Not only am I happy for him that he won the Molson Cup but I’m glad he’s been able to be so good despite the criticism he faces daily.

What a great player to have on our team for at least the next five years.

• savethepuck says:

We are lucky to have him. The unfortunate thing is that he could probably win the Conn Smythe this year, and some critics here would say “yeah but. ”

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Any man who did what he did the season after Halak left is truly amazing. Unreal pressure trying to fill Halak’s shoes and Carey just shakes it off like it’s nothing…..and he’s still shaking it off.

Lord this city ran Patrick Roy outta here and Carey justs keeps on playing.

I love it!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

51. TheKarl says:

Where is Drewiske in all this? Have I completely missed something? Figured he’d compete with Tinordi for the 6th spot (although I’d rather have Tinordi based on his recent play). Is he injured or something?

52. Bill says:

Thanks NHL for starting the Habs’ series on frigging Thursday. I’m playing guitar Thursday night at a casino and won’t be able to watch. This is epically horrible.

Full Breezer 4 Life

53. Bill says:

If Moen is a scratch in the playoffs – as per John Lu’s tweet about practice lines – that would be quite a strong message.

Moen needs to take stock of his life, IMO.

Full Breezer 4 Life

54. Sportfan says:

Aside our playoff series which one are you guys most interested in? I say Wild and Hawks could be a good one.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

55. Sportfan says:

St Louis wins Art Ross he’s the oldest to do it too. He’s a great role model for all players any size, but a huge role model for the shorter players. Gally will hopefully go down the same road as Marty only in a Habs jersey of course!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• savethepuck says:

Gally is an NHL regular at a much younger age than St Louis was. He was close to mid 20′s I believe, as opposed to 20.
      “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Luke says:

But because of players like St. Louis and Fleury (and Gionta/Briere) proving that smaller players can have the highest level of success in the league, guys like Gallagher are getting more legitimate shots to prove they belong as 20year olds.

Every time Gallagher gets knocked down, he jumps up and we say “what heart!” Everytime St. Louis got knocked down as a 20yr old, he jumped up, and everyone said “too small”.

He just kept jumping up.

• shiram says:

It was not long ago that DD was supposed to be the next St-Louis, and while he’s a good player, the comparison falls way short.
      It’s also a very tough act for Gally to try and follow.

“The game isn’t played on the weight scale and it’s not played in the gym, it’s played on the ice and it’s whoever wanted it more.” #81

• Luke says:

St. Louis is a Hall of Famer.

It’s fine for Gallagher to have his sights set on that, and I hope he does, but it’s not fair for us to expect it from him.

56. nickster13 says:

Checking predictions across various hockey bloggers and networks, very very few have predicted us winning the series. Most pick Sens in 6 or 7. Not much love for MTL.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

57. Bash says:

Maybe…and I mean maybe…Carey is not your favourite player any more Ace.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

@Mavid. My wife is a sens fan. I am looking for a new place to live for the next 2 weeks.

59. AceMagnum says:

Carey Price is player of the year!

Well deserved. Four whole games over .500 and three whole shut outs. A sparkling 2.59 goals against and a breath taking .905 save percentage. It’s just too bad there weren’t very many shoot out games this season, so that he may further demonstrate his superiority.

With Carey, we are a lock for a final four appearance at least.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR!! GO HABS!!

• 1 Jacques Plante 314
      2 Patrick Roy 289
      3 Ken Dryden 258
      4 Bill Durnan 208
      5 Georges Vézina 175
      6 George Hainsworth 167
      7 Carey Price 145 Oh Yeah Baby, what position do you play?
      8 Michel Larocque 144
      9 José Théodore 141
      10 Gerry McNeil 119

“Carey Price is a very good goalie. He’s as well positioned as anyone that I’ve seen to do really well in the future. For people like that, you just keep doing what you’re doing. There will be bad moments there will be times where what you’re doing you should be doing differently. But he appears to be strong enough and smart enough to know those moments. He has everything in him to be someone who will do well.” Ken Dryden

Halak is having a good year, but Price will be the far better goalie. You can see the flash of greatness there. He just needs to get his head screwed on straight. Trading Price would be a disaster for The Habs. Scotty Bowman

“When I look at what Price has done in Montreal with injuries on defense this season, it’s really hard not see,” he said. “To win the Vezina trophy, you should be in the top 10 or top 5 in all categories of statistics and Price is everywhere.” Martin Brodeur

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• jols101 says:

Nice post. But you know the Price haters think they know more then Dryden, Bowman and Brodeur. This won’t shut them up.

• I have zero problems with people who aren’t fans of Carey Price. But for those who post the same thing over and over only to stir up crap on here, then I in turn will be even more positive and more enthusiastic in my posts.

I have friends here that can’t stand Carey, but do they spend every single post talking about him? No

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures

60. Sportfan says:

@Mavid how hard has it been dealing with the Sens fans?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

61. Et le but says:

Just thinking….
    If you were a GM, which 3 out of the following seven rookies would you want on your team, and why?

Nail Yakupov
    Jonathan Huberdeau
    Cory Conacher
    Brendan Gallagher
    Brandon Saad
    Alex Galchenyuk
    Justin Schultz

• Sportfan says:

Huberdeau, Gally and Chucky

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Logically the top 2 on my list would be Galchenyuk and Huberdeau. The Homer in me would include Gallagher, I think GM’s may choose otherwise, for fear his size won’t holdup in the league. In that case my 3rd would probably be Yakupov. I haven’t seen enough of Saad to know better.

• Et le but says:

Agree with you and Sportfan on Galchenyuk and Huberdeau and like you, I LOVE Honey Badger (thanks Bill!). What about Schultz? Anyone seen him play this year?

• Luke says:

Probably Huberdeau, Galchenyuk and Yakupov.

But with Yakupov and one of those two centres, offense from up front isn’t likely and issue, so Shultz moving that puck forward and sneaking in as the trailer is tempting.

• jols101 says:

The love for Gallagher is strong but you take the 3 guys with elite talent – Yakupov could be the next Stamkos, Huberdeau and Galchenyuk. If you had these 3 guys on your team you would be laughing.

God bless Gallagher, he has the heart of a warrior but when Nail, Alex and Jonathan mature a little they are all going to be super stars.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Galchenyuk, Gallagher & Huberdeau

…2 sublime ‘aircraft carriers’ as 1st & 2nd line centres (actually 1-A & 1-B) centres, and irrepressible energy & courage in Gallagher

…build around those 3 and We are ‘cookin’ ‘ for years to come

• Bill says:

Galchenyuk for skill.
      The Honey Badger for heart and drive.
      Schultz for obvious upside as a defenceman: gonna be a great player.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• GrosBill says:

Galchenyuk, Schultz, Huberdeau. Homer side definatley puts Gally in the three.

62. Sportfan says:

Lol I feel that some of the Sens fans are very dimwitted right now they have good players and a decent team but they are calling it a 4-0 sweep for them really sad.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

63. SensFanSpezza says:

I’m stumped. Do I cheer for the team I’ve cheered for since I was a kid? Or do I cheer for my bro’s team, even though he’s not playing? Advice?

64. Seps says:

Who’s the homer who voted for Ryder hahaha :-)

65. savethepuck says:

The NHL draft lottery is tonight and the Edmonton Oilers have a 4.7 % chance of getting the 1st overall pick for the 4th year in a row.
    I know I wouldn’t bet against it happening.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

66. Mavid says:

on the radio today Brian Murray states that Chis Neil strikes fear in the heart of almost all NHL players..too bad I could not see if he had a straight face when he said it..

So Don Cherry was our distraction du jour today, wonder what topic will help us pass time tomorrow? My hockey suggestion would be tonights Draft Lottery. Does Bettman have a pony in this race? Would the Phoenix franchise be easier sold with a #1 pick in the fold?

68. OK here’s my attempt to draw up some emotion towards the Ottawa Senators vs Montreal Canadiens Playoff series.

When you walk by the Novotel, look up, I had this printed this morning. It will be in my window!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

69. Strummer says:

The Senators had this mad idea to block ticket sales to Leaf fans when the Leafs played in Ottawa earlier this season.
    They went so far as to offer unsold tickets to their subscriber base at a 20% discount to keep Leaf fans from overrunning their building.

Any chance they try it on the Hab fans?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

70. Blondemon says:

So far, the poll on the right matches my picks, Soobie and Gally.

***Drive for 25***

71. JohnBellyful says:

CH 24 Episode Two – “My Watch Stopped, Buddy, What Time Ya Got?”

With a calm before the playoff storm, let us rejoin CTU’s bravest agent as he strives to rid the world of another evil-doer in just one day.

Recap: Jack Bauer is summoned shortly after midnight to deal with a sudden crisis: hockey’s most storied franchise is threatened by a meltdown that could cut short its post-season.
    Evidence has been unearthed that the Canadiens Tactical Unit (CTU) has been breached! – hey, this serious – breached!!!

1:23:19 Bauer races into the CTU building, waving, mistakenly, his library card at four security personnel hunched over the monitor linked to the overhead camera in the ladies washroom. He catches their attention by firing a shot over their heads. They look up, wave him on through, and return to peering intently at the screen.
    “I’m telling you, guys, that’s a rhododendron!” one of them says vehemently.
    “No way, you idiot, it’s a philodendron!” another responds forcefully.
    The other two murmur assent, not altogether convincingly. Potted plants are not their specialty.

1:53:36 Bauer staggers into CTU’s operations room, his suit dripping wet, his face bathed in sweat. He glows beneath the fluorescent lighting
    “How long has the elevator been out?” he gasps. “And why did we put our nerve centre on the 47th floor? Above Finster Accounting and Bob’s Novelties?”
    Coach Michel Therrien looks up. “We’ve got bigger problems, Jack, than a lousy layout.”
    The lack of accent betrays Therrien’s mounting dread.
    “Really, really big problems,” chimes in General Manager Marc Bergevin, in English so perfect his unspoken fear is telling.
    Bauer swivels his gaze back and forth between the two men, trying to hide his own mounting panic: Which one was Therrien, which one was Bergevin?
    “Coach Therrien” – a pause to give the one bearing the name time to offer the briefest of acknowledgments – “why so anxious?”
    Therrien hands him a huge one-ring binder with a large Canadiens crest on the cover.
    Bauer opens it up. There’s nothing inside.
    “There’s nothing inside.”
    Except a growing ball of anxiety in the pit of his stomach.

2:23:36 The three men’s search of the office proves fruitless, but does turn up a rutabaga in Miss Alexander’s bottom drawer. Their worst fears are confirmed: The nothing that filled the empty binder also took up the whole of the office.
    “Coach Therrien, exactly what was in the binder?”
    Beads of sweat form on Therrien’s neck, wrists and ankles. “The System! With all the play!”
    “The play?”
    Therrien flaps his arms up and down, palms upward, his eyes the size of saucers. “The play! The play! You know, the swarming! If it falls into another team’s hands it could ruin us.”
    Bergevin interjects. “What Michel is trying to say is” – Bergevin flaps his arms up and down, palms upward, his eyes the size of saucers – “if one of our most hated rivals were to gain possession of our playbook, it would be a fatal blow. They’d have time to try to probe its contents for any weakness and then exploit it!”
    Both men stop flapping their arms and their eyes return to the size of marbles.

2:45:01 A sudden explosion announces the arrival of three masked men who burst through the shattered door, setting off a small alarm on the desk of the chief of security. One of the intruders reaches over, flips the switch on the device, putting an end to the annoying ‘beep, beep’.
    Budget cuts at the CTU had been brutal the past year, what with the team missing the playoffs last season.
    The man leading the charge stops in front of Bauer, Therrien and Bergevin and folds his arms.
    “Ahhh, fuh freh stoothes.”
    Blank looks.
    “Ahhh, fuh freh stoothes!!!”
    More blank looks. An awkward silence.
    The man grabs the bottom part of his mask and begins pulling it off.

3:11:44 Still pulling, now with both hands, his grunts growing more pronounced, the man makes one final tug – and the mask comes off, accompanied by a cry of victory and a gloating “Ah, the three stooges!”
    Bauer, Therrien and Bergevin stare in disbelief.
    “You” they say in unison, adding an exclamation mark !
    Jacques Martin had returned to the scene of his crime.

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

72. savethepuck says:

Two players who people may agree did not have great seasons, but I think will play great in the playoffs due to past history are Josh Gorges and Travis Moen. Josh has shown in the past that he is a guy willing to put his face in front of a puck if he thinks it will stop a goal. I expect to see him sacrificing himself for his teammates. Moen is also a good playoff performer, in his career he has won a Stanley Cup and made it to the ECF. I think we will see a new Travis Moen in the playoffs.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• JF says:

Agreed. Moen scored the Cup-winning goal for Anaheim, and he scored a couple of important ones for us three years ago. Gorges was great defensively against the Caps and Pens.

• Blondemon says:

But Moen used to have decent scoring regular seasons and hit and dropped them. He did nada this year. Gorges also had good regular seasons, this year very very difficult, seemingly off balance every time, bad decisions. But with him, the effort is there at least.

***Drive for 25***

73. Danno says:

Hickey had a fight with his comb! :mrgreen:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

74. Bill says:

I’m sure this has been said many times today, but I’m just gonna try and help make it sink in … somehow:

The Molson Cup goes to the player with the most 3 star votes from games. These are votes by fans from individual games. It is not an award that is judged or meant to say anything other than this: the winner got the most 3 stars votes from fans over the season.

Some of you guys are acting like this some kind or “Russian judge” travesty. You should calm down. Life is short.

75. SteverenO says:

If the practice lines are indicative , it looks like Halpern and Armstrong are out in favor of Moen and White.

I don;t think that there is a huge difference, but I believe that Armstrong outplayed Moen this season.

Player/ Minutes per GF/ Min per GA/ Min per PP GA

Armstrong : 35 min perGF/ 38 min per GA/9.5 min per PPGA
    Moen: 46 min perGF/ 32 min per GA/9.2 min per PPGA
    Moen has more hits 82 vs 36– but Armstrong has more takeaways 10 vs 2 and less giveaways 8 vs 11.

White versus HAlpern is also a close call:

White : 43 min perGF/ 64 min per GA/6.4 min per PPGA
    Halpern: 74 min perGF/ 28 min per GA/8.9 min per PPGA

White has the edge at even strength,although neither can be expected to contribute anything to the offense. Halpern is better on the penalty kill.

Its a shame that Prust has to play with any two of these guys.

Prust : 19 min perGF/ 36 min per GA/9.2 min per PPGA

Hopefully the coach will give Prust more ice time than his other two linemates.

White should not see any time on the penalty kill, he was the worst between Himself, Moen , Armstrong, Halpern and Prust, Plekanec, Gionta and Eller.

Personally I would not be upset if Weber was dressed instead of Moen,,making the 4th line Weber/White (Halpern)/Prust to provide a little more offence for this line as well as insurance on the back end.

Weber has some history as a 4th line forward in the playoffs. he scored 2 goals in 3 Playoff games in 2011. The added benefit is it would keep Gorges off the point on the PP.

regards,

Steve O.

• Luke says:

As an FYI:
      John Lu had the extras as 32 & 53 in a tweet.
      Armstrong/Halpern/Prust

So, I’m guessing that MT was getting all 5 in on drills together. 3 of the 5 will be playing on the same line. No matter who sits, the 4th line will be manned by 3 of those 5.

With Prust getting a bounce up to Ryder’s spot when defending the lead in the 3rd period.