Habs practise after Price named Molson Cup Player of the Year

The Canadiens announced on Monday morning that goaltender Carey Price is the Molson Cup Player of the Year for the 2012-13 season based on three-star voting by fans. Rookie forward Alex Galchenyuk is the Molson Cup recipient for the April segment of three-star voting.

Price, who was the Canadiens’ player of the month in February, finished ahead of Brendan Gallagher and Galchenyuk. The netminder played 39 games during the regular season, for a career total of 310, ranking him eighth on the Canadiens’ all-time list for most games played by a goaltender.

Price finished the regular season with a 21-13-4 record with a 2.59 goals-against average and .905 save percentage. He recorded three shutouts this season, giving him 19 for his career to rank ninth in team history.

Price was voted one of the three stars 15 times this season by fans. He was the first star four times, second star six times and third star five times. Gallagher was selected as a star 13 times (4-5-4) and Galchenyuk was a star eight times (5-1-2).

Price was on the ice with his teammates Monday morning in Brossard as the Canadiens held their first practice since learning they will face the Ottawa Senators in the first round of the playoffs, with Game 1 slated for Thursday night at the Bell Centre and Game 2 on Friday.

“It’s going to be a hard-nosed series … and a tight-checking game,” coach Michel Therrien said after the 50-minute practice. “That’s how we’ve had success.”

The Canadiens had a 2-1-1 record against the Senators this season and this will mark the first playoff meeting between the teams since the Senators returned to the NHL in 1992.

“Rivalries are born in the playoffs,” Therrien said. “There’s about to be one with the Senators and I’m happy to be a part of it.”

Therrien said he was confident heading into the playoffs and liked the way Price played in his last two games, saying “he’s our best player.”

The coach added that he appreciates having three days of practice before Game 1, but noted it’s the same for both teams.

The lines at Monday’s practice were: Gallagher-Eller-Galchenyuk; Prust-White-Moen; Desharnais-Bourque-Pacioretty; Gionta-Plekanec-Ryder; Halpern-Armstrong.

Defence pairings were: Gorges-Diaz; Markov-Subban; Bouillon-Tinordi; Kaberle-Weber.

Michael Blunden and Gabriel Dumont weren’t on the ice with the rest of the Canadiens but were expected to practise separately with Greg Pateryn, Nathan Beaulieu, Michael Bournival, Petteri Nokelainen, Dustin Tokarski, Robert Mayer and Louis Leblanc, who were all called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Hear what P.K. Subban had to say after practice by clicking here.

Hear what Jarred Tinordi had to say by clicking here.

Hear what Brendan Gallagher had to say by clicking here.

Get ready for a 417 playoff matchup, by Jack Todd

Sports psychologist put Eller on right track, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens vs. Senators series preview, NHL.com

NHL playoff preview capsules, montrealgazette.com

Ten players to watch in the postseason, montrealgazette.com

Round One playoff schedule, NHL.com

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

1,311 Comments

1. Danno says:

A Flashback to the early days of the Ottawa Senators

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

DOes anyone know of any good playoffs matchup backdrop?

Thanks in advance

Price played fantastic and kept us in most games all year. Up to the melt down!

4. Mavid says:

The Bank is the building fun forgot…hell the whole city is..so make sure you bring it with you when you come…GO HABS GO!!

5. RetroMikey says:

In my opinion, Gallagher deserves the Moslon Cup for this season not Price.
    Price better be ready mentally, this is his year to shine in the playoffs, no excuses.

And a great song for Montreal hockey fans, spring is here, robins are chirping, playoff hockey back in Montreal, but for how long?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

6. FB says:

Wow still tickets available for Game 6 in Ottawa. Just picked up 2.

I also have 2 tickets to Game 7.

Weekend road trip……(if required)

7. CalgaryHab says:

Pro – Either the leafs or bruins will be eliminated in the first round

Con – Either the leafs or bruins will advance to the 2nd round

While I’ll love the misery of one, I’ll hate the joy of the other

Super hockey game tonight on sports net!
    OHL Conference finals.

7th game, at home for the Belleville Bulls and the two Subban brothers, against Dale Howerchuck’s Barrie Colts.

This series has everything, speed, talent and toughness. What a fantastic finals.!
    7pm, enjoy!

9. veryhabby says:

First off- I’m a female

Second- I have no idea what goes on in the dressing room except what I see on TV. And from what I see in interviews, the guys don’t walk around naked. I think I would have noticed that!

So if the guys aren’t naked, then what is the issue? I would 100% say that oposite sex don’t belong where the other isn’t dressed. It works both ways. But isn’t it now that the reports go in 20-30 min after the game, and aren’t the showers in a seperate area?

I think maybe Cherry is thinking back to when he played in those old arenas that aren’t set up as this mega million dollar arena’s are.

My son is 12, he is just switched to goalie. He had a goalie class last week and I was helping him with his equipement. 2 other boys came in to get changed, without parents. I asked them if it was ok for me to stay in room or if they wanted me to leave. They were actualy very confused with the question. So I went outside and saw 2 other moms, and I asked them and they were all fine with me staying in the room. And no one got fully undressed. But still you want to show respect to people’s privacy.

If you think it’s fine for oposite sex to be in a room when others are naked, then I don’t agree. But there are ways to make sure that does occur.

…agree

• Lafleurguy says:

Clothes? (does “not” occur, I think you meant). Agree with you fully but the world is diverse. Imagine the bigger stir that would have arisen if Sean Avery had given his ex-girlfriend comment to a lady reporter….

• Strummer says:

It’s been so long since Don was in an NHL dressing room he doesn’t realize that the players change and shower in a seperate area away from the prying eyes of the press.

This is a controversy only in Don’s diminishing mind.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• bwoar says:

How dare a female have an opinion on this!

(**KIDDING, JUST JOKING FOLKS**)

“thoroughbred”

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘Who do you think was the Habs’ Player of the Year this season ?’

…when I read Carey was selected as this season’s player of the year, I thought voters were voting on His good looks rather than His overall play

…My opinion is Carey was a decent goalie for Us this year, but not to a level of the Team’s MVP, which the Player Of The Year selection logically should represent

…this season is, again in My opinion, a result of Our Team ‘jelling’ (hopefully Timo has not trademarked the term), with much improved coaching and establishing a system designed for the skills of Our Players, that in past seasons contrasted to systems trying to force square pegs into round holes

…picking one is a very close call among several Players enjoying a much improved season

…My choice is Brendan Gallagher

…My selection of Gallagher, though, is razor-thin with Pernel Karl, Markov, Galchenyuk and Prust also among Our most important difference-makers this season

11. Lafleurguy says:

How Brian Murray got his hands on Corey Conacher and Mark Methot is something short of genius, but brilliant nonetheless.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Blondemon says:

Easy to do when you’re as flush for goalies as Murray suddenly is and dealing with a team that is so desperate for one. Th Conacher deal anyway.

• Lafleurguy says:

Correct, but he “only” gave up a 2nd for Bishop, and then got Conacher when this promising youngster had already proven himself in the AHL and with the Lightning. Too lazy to check, but I think he got Methot for a 4th round pick last summer.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Blondemon says:

Even better then, thanks. I like Methot a lot, and I don’t blame him for Boston’s first goal last night, going for the hit versus blocking the pass. Lehner was weak on that shot. I rarely will dump on physicality even if the result is not ideal.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

When Murray sent Nick Foligno to Columbus for Marc Methot I thought that the Blue Jackets won the trade, and I still do.

12. habs12 says:

Just wondering what the deal is with Drewiske…Did he practice today? Is he practicing with the Hamilton guys? or is he injured?

13. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Thoughts on the other series’? That STL – LA one is going to be a war.

14. frontenac1 says:

@Timo. I’m with you amigo. Women looking at me buck nekid wouldn’t bother me a bit,but they wouldn’t like it. I know because my wife doesn’t.

15. savethepuck says:

Very funny reading some of the reactions to Carey winning the Molson Cup. People citing GAA, sve %, etc… This award does not say he was the Habs best player this year, all it says is that in 15 of his 39 games played, the fans thought he was the best Habs player 4 times, the second best 6 times, and the 3rd best 5 times. No other player was, in the fans opinion, a top player in more games.
    People gotta chill out.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

16. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think the only safe prediction for this series is it won’t be a short one. These teams match up pretty evenly (a little too evenly for my liking! Especially when we’re the #2 seed).

Also, never thought I’d ever say this, but I think I’m cheering for the Bruins….

On paper I prefer the Leafs’ players, but the CBC and TSN have turned me against them. Couldn’t hack them winning a playoff series.

• kalevine says:

try living in Boston and listening to the homers here. Whether Habs win the first round or not, I am hoping for the Leafs because
      1) 2011 taught me that the Bruins get stronger with every round and once they are woken up, they can’t be put back to sleep
      2) I won’t be able to handle the hype here
      3) If Habs do win, I’ve has enough of the Bruins. Give me the Leafs and hopefully they will be dispensed with in 6 or less

17. FANHABULOUS says:

I’m so pumped for the playoffs… bring on the Sens! I hope everyone is taking a moment to savor our season so far… from the basement, to winning our division and finishing 2nd in the conference… way to go boys!

I think we’ll give the Sens all they can handle.. if we play like we did for most of the season (not including the horrible 2-week stretch at the end), then they won’t be able to handle our depth.

I really loved this line from Stubbs’ article:

“We mix well together,” Eller said of his linemates, these three guys soon to collectively grow the worst playoff beards in the history of facial hair.

Gotta love the young blood! People keep talking about our “future”… a big chunk of it has arrived. Just think, in 3 years time our core group will be:

Price in goal
    Pk, Tinordi, Beaulieu on D
    Gally, Chucky, Eller, Max, and Pleks up front.

I like it!

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

I am confused by poll results. Ryder is with 1% and zero votes and Galhenyuk with 0% and 1 vote. New math rules?

• Alex_425 says:

Oh, that ol’ thing? That’s a poll from Bizarro NHL, a world where Carey Price is completely bald, and has 5 Stanley Cup rings, just to give you an idea.

But I’m no expert….

19. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The problems dogging the two teams in the lead up to the series…

The Sens can’t score and we can’t keep the puck outta our net.

One is going to have to give….and I think we have the advantage there because the Habs have demonstrated they can play solid defence this year.

Nothing but respect for the Sens and what they’ve managed to accomplish with their depleted roster, but I think our scoring depth will be the difference — key goals at key times.

That said, watching Karlsson and Subban is going to be amazing. This is going to be a very tough series to win. C’mon les boys!!!

20. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Really surprised Halpern isn’t in the starting lineup (so far), but not necessarily upset by it.

The energy White brings will be huge in the playoffs. Just make sure he doesn’t do anything (too) stupid.

Chris Neil will be parked in front of Price all series long…hopefully White can take him off for five minutes every once in a while.

• Timo says:

I think it will be key that someone else, other than Gallagher is constantly parked in front of Anderson.

I am looking at Bourque, Ryder and Moen.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Agree. Before this matchup was set, the team I wanted to face the least (of the possibilities) was the Sens because Anderson could win the series on his own. Have to get in his grill to prevent that from happening.

I’m curious to see which Bourque shows up in the playoffs…he looked good on Saturday. He doesn’t need to be our leading scorer, but has got to crash and bang and get to the net.

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Thursday is going to be one heck of a long wait

…nothing to do here but fight among each other about why the World is going to Hell in a handbasket :)

Do senators have a go-to faceoff guy?

Is Bourque practicing at center or was that simply mistakenly getting positions wrong?

If these are indeed the lines Habs are starting playoffs with I am indeed surprised that Therrien is not starting with Armstrong and Halpern. I am also absolutely (pleasantly) dumfounded that White is in the lineup.

I don’t see what the fuss is about women in men’s locker room. I would welcome women in my locker room any time. Ladies, the door is open, come on in.

26. Thomas Le Fan says:

Not hockey but the sociologists could learn something from the real historians.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

27. Say Ash says:

So who should be allowed into Jason Collins’ locker room, exactly?

So based on the practice lines, Armstrong not in in Lineup for Game 1, Eller with the two rookies. THese are two pretty big steps for MT, many thought he would never take Armstrong out of lineup, or give the rookies that kind of responsibility.

Also sticking with Tinordi, I like this.

29. arcosenate says:

Going to the game on Sunday, got a ticket!

Seriously pumped.

30. Kooch7800 says:

Just read about Jason Collins coming out in the NBA. Hats off to him cause that takes courage being one of the first pro athletes to go public.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

No kidding. Maybe Jason Collins should have a different dressing room than his teammates because homosexuals are better than heterosexuals.

• Lafleurguy says:

Plus one.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habs1992 says:

he is a free agent, be interesting to see if any1 picks him up, i dont think he will, he is not a good player to begin with, and probably just did this to get his name out there

I support Carey Price

• Loonie says:

The way you concluded that opinion is absolutely shameful.

Jackie Robinson just played in MLB to get his name out there too right?

• Blondemon says:

I agree, probably an average player who suddenly will get lots of book deals and talk show appearances flooding his agenda. If this is ‘courage’, we’re in trouble.

• Loonie says:

You and your buddy are pathetic.

• Blondemon says:

Liberals always resort to ad hominem attacks in an argument. You also used ‘caveman’ and ‘archaic’. But again, if you were bashing Cherry, say 20-30 or so years ago before everybody was, at least you’d be kind of original, instead of just going with the flow picking on an easy target.

• Loonie says:

You’re saying that a homosexual athlete who happens to be the first in North American sports history to come out of the closet while actively playing is doing so to attract interest from basketball teams.

How in any way is my opinion that your attack on THAT person is pathetic related to political allegiance?

It isn’t.

I’m done with this and you. You don’t deserve the freedoms you’re abusing.

31. Lafleurguy says:

It won’t ever transpire, but Stephen Colbert should interview Don Cerise.

“May you live in interesting times.”

So… any updates from the practice? What are the lines?

• veryhabby says:

Lines were exaclty as in TO game. Halpern-Armstrong extra skaters and Kabby-Weber as 4th pair. Dumont and Blunden were not on the ice but will practice with the rest of the Dogs who were called up last week. They skate later.

I am expecting Halpern and White to switch spots, but White played well and who knows, is Halpern injured a tad? I can’t imagine white being more important in this series then Halpern winning f/o and on PK?

33. bwoar says:

I gotta say, 3 things Cherry and I agree on, and only 3:

1. No touch icing
    2. Canadians win Stanley Cups, and if you disagree, suck it
    3. No women in the locker room

It’s anachronistic, as is his ‘pedestal’ line (which I’ve heard 1000 times from folks over 50), but I have to agree, because I don’t think men have any place in a women’s locker room.

While the world loves to hate Grapes, and I really don’t pay him much mind, very little to-do, if any, has been made at Ron MacLean’s assertion that men should be allowed in the women’s locker room. I cringed a bit when he said it, and when Cherry pressed him to repeat it, he held fast. But I disagree entirely.

There seems to be very little room in the discussion for standards like “decorum” and “modesty” that help make civilization that much nicer. Sexism is a red herring to me in this discussion, because folks have jumped right over those 2 elements as if they don’t, or shouldn’t, exist (and heavens no, especially not in professional sports reporting!)

If my girls had just left the ice and say, Stubbs or Larry Brooks or Dave Molinari rushed into the room to get an interview, both as a coach and as a father I’d give ‘em a good hard shove and tell ‘em to bloody well wait until everyone was decent. Or to conduct their interview in the hall. I’d follow up that next time, their org should send a woman to do reporting in the woman’s locker room, period.

It’s really just good manners to respect decorum and modesty. Nothing to do with who’s qualified or not to be a journalist. The equality cops, yeah, they see sex discrimination everywhere, but there’s a bigger picture out there about how to have a polite society, that in my mind, trumps the rest of the discussion.

So yeah, for the 3rd time, I agree with Don Cherry. Yuck, that’s a bad taste in the mouth.

“thoroughbred”

• Loonie says:

The problem that I have with this is somebody so feverishly against social progression and otherwise shouldn’t be taken seriously on an issue like this.

My problem is more with Cherry having a platform than his views.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Cherry is not anti ‘social progression’ ? …he is anti ‘social regression’

• Loonie says:

Cherry is a caveman in my opinion.

I fear this debate is going to get worse before it gets better.

Lets just say that if in fact this is as sensitive of an issue as our Country’s false prophet would have us believe, your solution is one I could live with and leave it at that.

• bwoar says:

He’s old, so his values reflect that. I usually disagree with him, not so much this time. I share a lot of ‘older’ values; it seems my generation just looks at a lot of it as dated, simply because it isn’t conveniently post-modern enough for many us. Hence why for me, it’s an issue of decorum and courtesy – sexism isn’t the issue at all.

“thoroughbred”

• Loonie says:

It isn’t the issue for you. Many have offered solutions to this perceived issue that result in equitable treatment for men and women who have to cover hockey.

He didn’t. Just don’t let them in. That was his opinion from which he not so successfully backtracked.

• habs1992 says:

yep cherry is right, no girls in the locker rooms and vise versa

I support Carey Price

• Mattyleg says:

As Maclean said, however, the reporters don’t go into the showers.
      The players know when the reporters will be there, and can either walk around naked before or after, or just conceal themselves.

• AllHailTheFlower says:

- From Mattyleg a little further down in the thread: “He is using something called ‘reverse sexism’, in which he makes claims that women are “not equal” because they are “up here” (i.e. ‘on a pedestal’). Because women are so much better than men -the logic goes- they require our protection from men’s crude barbaric side. They need to be shielded. By men.

So you see, rather than women being superior (which Cherry claims) and making decisions about where they can go regardless of what the ‘unrefined’ male population thinks, they become subjects of male control and are reduced to a position of helplessness and infantilism. They are like children to be told by their elders (who they should respect) where they can and can’t go.”

Well articulated, and you have my full agreement and support – thanks for saying it better than I could.

• bwoar says:

I get that, Matty, but to me that’s like saying it’s OK to go into the women’s loo, so long as it’s announced, and so long as you don’t walk into a stall. I’d still get a fine for doing it.

I have to second AllHailTheFlower, you nailed the ‘on a pedestal’ comment dead to rights, big props for that.

“thoroughbred”

• Garbo says:

There was a time in the not so distant past where people weren’t allowed in some areas based on the colour of their skin, because it made others feel uncomfortable.

I believe most would look back on those days with shame. And if they don’t, well…

EXACTLY.

And even if it were a problem, the solution shouldn’t be to ban one gender from the area. It should be to provide an area where everyone can do the job required.

• bwoar says:

“It is the person who feels uncomfortable that should adapt, rather than impose their will on others.

They should see all reporters in the same light, and all reporters should be treated equally. This must transcend sex, as it does race.”

This is the kind of slippery-slope, post modern BS that I can’t stand. Forgive me while I overreact: It’s a great reply for the fifteen-year-old, book report crowd, but has little bearing in real-world scenarios. It’s groupthink that tells me that my moral code is all f–ked up and if I were to just get with the times, man, things would be a lot cooler. While insinuating that 1) I would ever perpetrate racism or sexism and 2) oblique references to historical wrongs somehow prove a point in a harmless debate over a pretty meaningless issue.

Bonus douche points for the ellipsis. I hope the uni spends your money frivolously.

“thoroughbred”

Bwoar, a+

Cheers B.
          I get where you’re coming from.

• Garbo says:

So you’re much more comfortable with men seeing you undress then women?

In any event, they often have cameras in the dressing room for interviews. It’s not like reporters are following players into the shower, or players are stripping naked in area of the dressing room where reporters are allowed anyway.

All they do is take their equipment off. Why would they feel threatened with a woman there. Baffling.

• Habsrule1 says:

The funny thing is every single female I have spoken to about this since Saturday…..agrees with Cherry.

That said, every reporter should be given the choice. They know what they are getting into. And the female athletes should have the choice as to who & when they want in their dressing rooms.

Go Habs Go!!

34. Lafleurguy says:

CBC is sitting on a potential mega-boost to its viewership (Nielson) ratings. They should sit Don Cherry down with Cassie Campbell, and discuss relevant issues,…..oh say whether a past Leafs regime discriminated against drafting OHL players, or any other issue that seems topical.

“May you live in interesting times.”

35. Sportfan says:

Is anyone else disappointed that the Blue Jackets missed out on the playoffs?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

36. Lafleurguy says:

Molson Cup Post of the Day goes to HabFanInTampa at 12:29 PM.*

“May you live in interesting times.”
    *replytoit’sreallychillyat12:10

37. forskis says:

Hey Mr. Cowan, Mr. Stubbs and Mr. Boone…any chance we can get a playoff prediction article from Mr. Fisher for old time’s sake?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

38. Chilly Willy says:

Carey Price will only as good as the Defence in front of him.

39. Mattyleg says:

I flew off at Cherry yesterday, dunno if anyone saw it.

Here’s a ‘day-after’ view:

Cherry is an antique, and if he feels embarrassed by women being confronted by male nudity, then it is HE who should extract HIMSELF from the situation, not dragging someone else along with him.

And I have no problem with disagreeing with this very old-fashioned and condescending view toward women.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The younger generation are always just sooooo much wiser than their elders. Funny how that works. Your day will come junior.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• Mattyleg says:

My 93-year-old grandmother shares the same views as me.

Age doesn’t equate with ignorance, Tom.

And clinging to an out-dated societal construct is not an indication of wisdom, but of a resistance to change and personal development. People like that are roundly mocked before they fade into redundancy.

• Curtis O Habs says:

I retracted my comment. It was the booze talking.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…as I said below, poppycock !!! (excuse the term)

…nothin ‘ignorant’ about an individuals (male or female’s) personal sensitivities for privacy

…and this from a Guy with no qualms about certain ladies lingering on My privates anytime They may be in the mood :)

• Mattyleg says:

I agree with individuals’ decisions, HiS!
            If a female reporter doesn’t want to go into a dressing-room, then they shouldn’t have to -and if anyone makes them do it, then they are in the wrong.

But for Cherry to demand that the rules change to suit his personal comfort levels is absurd and idiotic.

…oy vey

• The Dude says:

Hey ,Don Cherry’s last rant caused me too have spewed beer further than I ever have before!

• The Jackal says:

I would love to see what Borat interviewing Don Cherry would end up like.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Loonie says:

We share the same sentiment but I don’t give him that much credit. I don’t think he was sharing a sincere view of women that happens to be sexist in an old yet innocuous fashion.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…as We ol’ Farts like to say Matty …POPPYCOCK !!! :)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…by the way Matty, nothing personal re My rant to You about Your Don Cherry rant yesterday :)

…just that You naive Youngins get under Us older wiser Farts’ epidermis as often as You Young Farts get under Ours :)

• Habsrule1 says:

I don’t agree with his views, but I don’t think it was meant to be as sexist as others do.

I truly feel many wait to pounce whenever Cherry speaks. There is not a heluva lot that he says that I agree with, but I also think we need to stop being so sensitive and being offended by everything that is said that we don’t happen to agree with.

Would it be sexist to say male reporters should not be in female athletes’ dressing rooms? Would it be sexist of a female analyst to say that should not be tolerated? There is a double standard, like it or not.

I personally think a female (or male) reporter knows what they are getting into and should decide for themselves if they want to be in a male athlete’s dressing room.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

I’m sure he doesn’t MEAN to be sexist, but he is.
        Just like a racist person doesn’t mean to be racist, and often even says “I’m not a racist or anything, but” before saying something extremely racist.

Don Cherry essentially said “I’m not sexist, or anything, but I believe that men should decide where women can and can’t go.”

…horseradish ! :)

• Habsrule1 says:

Totally disagree. It’s not like he said women should not be allowed to golf.

I think you’re really grasping at straws here. He doesn’t think women should be in a male dressing room. If they were not reporters, would anyone be ok with women being in a men’s dressing room?

Go Habs Go!!

…but they ARE reporters.

If any players are uncomfortable about it, they would make their case known. I’ve heard nothing about it, only an anachronistic talking-head moaning about it.

And I don’t need to grasp at straws, Bri. Cherry is handing them out.

• Blondemon says:

Matty, ‘equal’ does not = ‘same’. This is what Cherry is saying.

If equal = same, then why I am always the one killing the spiders in my house? And why doesn’t my wife let me nurse the kid with my perfectly fine-looking nipples?

• Mattyleg says:

What Cherry is saying is that women need to be protected by big strong men because they are unable to protect themselves.

That’s kinda Sir Walter Scott, ain’t it?

• Loonie says:

That’s not what he’s saying. Now you’re attaching your views to his opinion.

He didn’t say men and women were equal.

…in fact, Don literally said women were MORE ‘equal’ than men

• CalgaryHab says:

Come on, do you honestly think his attitude has to do with the control of women?
      You’re free to strech his comments are much as you can – but I disagree.
      Cherry’s view would be more appropriate if he was referring to a rec league dressing room, but not the NHL.

It is.
        It’s not a stretch, it’s exactly what he said.
        “Women should not be allowed in NHL dressing rooms.”
        Who would makes these rules? Women?
        No; Men. Old-fashioned men who believe that women should and shouldn’t be exposed to certain things.
        It’s no stretch, it’s what he said.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Your new nick should be ‘Elasticman’

• CalgaryHab says:

You’re right about what he said – but this is your stretch

” So you see, rather than women being superior (which Cherry claims) and making decisions about where they can go regardless of what the ‘unrefined’ male population thinks, they become subjects of male control and are reduced to a position of helplessness and infantilism. They are like children to be told by their elders (who they should respect) where they can and can’t go”

I don’t believe Cherry feels this way. And the fact is women are allowed in dressing rooms by ‘men’ who make the rules.

• Loonie says:

Which is correct because he’s articulating pretty illogically that the decision be taken away from the individuals whose job may or may not necessitate going into a locker room and placed in the hands of the MEN who control media operations for the NHL.

• Mattyleg says:

I agree that this concept is far too complex for Cherry to grasp, but it is something that he is doing instinctively.

In his mind -as expressed by what he said- women need to be protected from men by men. Women can protect themselves from being offended by male nudity.

And Cherry is in disagreement with the men who allow women in the dressing rooms.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Don is making a fair comment on his feelings on the subject …his feelings mirror, I believe, the current majority on this issue

…We both, You and I, including Cherry, know there is no going back on this matter …although, I believe athletes should be interviewed in an interview area by reporters (both male & female reporters) after they have showered and refreshed themselves

…the irony is, people like You and Your generation are always screaming for Your rights to express Yourself, yet hypocritically jump all over those with a different set of values and viewpoint

• Garbo says:

… the majority of… men? of sexists? of old men?

Where you getting your stats?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…are You not, Garbo, the same intellect that had to be explained the definition of ‘ergonomic’ last night ?

C’mon, Surrey.
            Give off with the ‘you and your generation’ nonsense please.
            There is no hypocrisy here.

I have no problem with people expressing their views.
            But I reserve the right to disagree with them as vehemently as I like, much like the spokesperson of the older generation (yours, perhaps?), Don Cherry.

Oh, and for the record, I agree with you that there is no need whatsoever for reporters to go into the dressing room at all.
            Interview them in the hallway before or after their showers.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…there, problem solved ! :)

40. Thomas Le Fan says:

Carey Price, Player of the Year? Oh noes! Heads are ‘splodin’.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

41. The Dude says:

So the Molson Cup goes the the Athlete that’s most way overpaid and exhibits A GREAT BIG 5 HOLE while way over extending himself as he looks the wrong side of players for the forward who gonna shoot Glove High,congrats Carey. Oh,you can prove me wrong against the Sens….that would be cool with me.

42. Sportfan says:

SO everyone enjoy what Bryz had to say about the media? Can anyone say buy-out haha Man if he reacted that way in Philly i can’t imagine how bad it would be in New York, Toronto, Montreal well anywhere in Canada Detroit and Chicago. No wonder he was good in Pheonix.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habilis says:

I was laughing so hard at that. Asking reporters what they have done for the city? He is such a space cadet.

If you haven’t seen them yet, check youtube for his comments on the universe and on bears. Too funny.

I agree, I think he will be bought out. I don’t see how the Flyers can keep him around. It’s one thing to have a lunatic on your team who is also a great goalie. Bryz is just a lunatic though.

43. WindsorHab-10 says:

These playoffs the pressure is on Price & Fleury to produce. Time for our guy to shine & silence the critics(us fans).

44. habs001 says:

There is two ways i see Ottawa winning this series..1) they dominate the pp/pk matchup and 2) their goaltending out plays the Habs goaltending by a wide margin…there is no reason why the Habs should not get way more quality scoring chances than Ottawa in this series….

• Habfan10912 says:

There PP stinks (no pun intended). Their PK is another story. The Sen’s have been tough to score on all season. I don’t see that changing now.

• habs001 says:

The Habs pk has had some bad stretches also…Habs pk 23rd…So looks like the pp/pk should offset each others..but if the Habs pp cannot score and Senators found some scoring vs a weak pk that could have a major influence on the series…

• Lafleurguy says:

Some puns should be intended! Who knew they eat asparagus before going on the powerplay?!

“May you live in interesting times.”

45. HabFanSince72 says:

CBC comes to Cherry’s defence:

“I knew it would be a Twitter tempest and that’s why I (had) a little face of exasperation,” MacLean said.”

So you were exasperated because it would lead to a twitter storm, not because it was sexist and ignorant. Great.

And then

““I think his comments were misinterpreted and if you actually listen to what he was saying, it wasn’t so much about women not being in the dressing room ” she said.”

Interesting. How do you misinterpret ““I don’t believe women should be in the male dressing room,” ?

• Alex_425 says:

Oh MacLean, forever the pilot fish to the soon-to-be-beached Cherry shark.

But I’m no expert….

• H.Upmann says:

I think he has no choice but to “defend” the ignorant asshat next to him because it’s his bread and butter afterall. Couldn’t believe I was hearing those comments on live tv. Bet Cherry loves the idea of an openly gay black basketball pro.

• Loonie says:

Because Cherry said “women are above us”.

And after decades of hearing what that man has said, anyone who took that to heart and actually believed that he was being truthful about that statement needs their head examined.

Like I said yesterday. I hope he is immortal. I’m really fearful of the day his career is over and he’s glorified even more so than he is today. The only thing about him that disgusts me more than who he is as a person and television personality is that he’s forgiven for every bigoted statement he makes and celebrated for being to hockey what Rush Limbaugh is to American politics.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The other thing is that everyone who is remotely following the sport has seen interviews of hockey players after games. They’re not naked for the cameras so obviously they can be not naked for the female reporters.

Anyways who under the age of 60 walks around male locker rooms naked?

• Loonie says:

If he really believed that women are being unfairly treated in these situations he would’ve said that the players need to show more tact in the locker room when women are around. His solution wouldn’t have been to ban them from the room altogether.

His opinion is that women shouldn’t be in a hockey locker room.

• Blondemon says:

Cherry’s point really is that even though we’re equal, we are not the same, and anybody who pretends that women and men are the same, are either liars or they deny human nature.

He back-pedalled by saying women are higher than men, which is his way of saying how women need to be protected, and which is not inaccurate.

I think people bash Cherry because they wish they were as ballsy or as honest.

• Loonie says:

I think a generalization of everyone who takes issue with what he has to say embodies the kind of person Cherry is and because of that it doesn’t surprise me that you feel he’s being attacked for his views.

• Blondemon says:

Actually, Loonie, what I meant was often Cherry is not attacked for his views but that he has the courage to say these things.

• Loonie says:

The courage? Please. He’s defended from stem to stern.

The line to shield him is much longer than the line to attack him.

• Blondemon says:

Agree to disagree then, Loonie. I think it is quite fashionable to bash people like Cherry, nothing radical or original about it.

• Loonie says:

Now it’s trendy to disagree with his views?

People who share Cherry’s opinion = rational
            People who disagree are just doing so because they feel it’s en vogue.

Right.

• habs001 says:

True…last comment lol so true in my gym..the older and fatter you are

• Blondemon says:

How is it ignorant and sexist?

• Habsrule1 says:

That whole thing was blown way out of proportion. It sounded to me like he felt bad for women having to go through that, which is dumb because it’s their choice to do it, but it’s not this sexist thing that everyone is making it out to be. People sit and wait for Cherry to say something so they get get outraged by it.

Molehills=Mountains

Go Habs Go!!

• Loonie says:

He’s given a national platform by a publicly funded corporation and uses that platform to share archaic views.

That’s a problem for a lot of people Paul.

• Habsrule1 says:

I did not find it offensive, but I guess some do.
          Before we get into the sexist thing, my wife actually agrees with me….and that doesn’t happen very often.

Go Habs Go!!

• Blondemon says:

If somebody on TSN (not publicly funded) said that, you wouldn’t complain? That said, I think CBC should be private, $1.1B of tax dollars for the CBC is crazy. Btw, it should make you feel better that Cherry and Kevin O’Leary are pretty much the sole conservative (‘archaic’ to you) voices on the hard-left CBC. They are also possibly the highest rated, so I wouldn’t bet their opinions are too far out of the mainstream.

• Loonie says:

A lot of people seem to think the CBC is hard to the left. I say watch them around election time if you truly believe that. I think it would change your opinion.

Second, any corporation that provides a platform to an offensive and bigoted person deserves the scrutiny and criticism they receive, but in the case of the CBC, it’s more disappointing due to how it’s funded.

• Blondemon says:

Ah, but criticism is one thing, censorship is quite another. And offensive to whom? Who decides what defines bigotry and offense? And since when do we have a right not to be offended? CBC uses my tax dollars to promote things that I don’t agree with. I think it’s a good thing when many diverging opinions are aired (albeit CBC limits the diversity of opinion, with some rare exceptions like Cherry verring off the lefty script).

The way I see it this woman (and/or her backers) raised heck because Keith was allegedly rude and sexist. Perhaps she can think of another career if she can’t take the heat? But really, if that’s the worst type of offense she has to endure in her job, she should consider herself lucky. This is nothing but a microaggression, I ain’t crying any rivers for her.

We must have different definitions then. For me Liberal is hard left, NDP is harder left.

• Loonie says:

It’s very convenient to excuse obviously sexist or in the case of his past bigoted statements and point to free speech.

There are limitations. He has crossed them on more than one occasion.

• Blondemon says:

Whose limits did they cross, Loonie? Yours? Or does government get to choose. Personally, I think you’re being sexist, styling yourself as a protector of women, as if they can’t take care of themselves. You’re speaking and acting on their behalf, but who gave you permission?

• Loonie says:

They did cross the governments limits Nick.

He’s suggesting revoking the rights of female workers in this country.

• habs-fan-84 says:

couldn’t agree more.

46. Chrisadiens says:

So Jim Nill is the new GM of the Stars. He said he was waiting for the right situation to leave Detroit. Do you think he regrets not taking the Montreal job? Or maybe he really wanted to go to a team that nobody cares about and stay off the radar?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Here’s my suggestion. No pregame ceremony where the Molson Cup is awarded to Price. Just post it on the Habs web site and move on. These Molson Cups are unneeded distractions and tend to jinx the team. Nip it in the bud. Oublier ça!!

48. Old Bald Bird says:

Holy formatting on that post, Batman.

I have a lot to learn on commenting. Already today I have been the last (top) post on a page change and another time on a thread change. I think that must be some sort of record. Not that I wrote anything worthwhile, but my feelings are still a bit tender. :cry:

• Alex_425 says:

Yeah, I hate it when I take time to really formulate a good (IMO) post or pose a question that’s really been on my mind, and it gets instantly buried in the previous comments page.

But I’m no expert….

49. Chuck says:

Someone down below mentioned pulling out the Price stats. Consider this: Carey has 5 seasons remaining on this contract. If he plays 80% of those games, and collects wins at the same rate that he has done since the beginning of his career — meaning, he doesn’t even have to get better — he’ll still have more wins (300) than all but one goalie in Canadiens history (Plante had 314).

___________________________________________________

• Cal says:

Let’s see if that free agent gets signed.

• Alex_425 says:

The question now is, is he still going to be able to play, or will he eventually have to “step back” from the sport, similar to Robbie Rogers’ case?

But I’m no expert….

• Chuck says:

Even bigger question to be raised by Don Cherry: should he now be allowed to use the same change room and shower as the rest of the team?

___________________________________________________

50. Psycho29 says:

Does this mean there will be a presentation before Thursday’s puck drop????

That’s never good!!!

51. Alex_425 says:

I swear, if Edmonton gets that 1st overall pick again….

It’s bad enough I can’t get the image of Tambellini’s Troll Face outta my head.

But I’m no expert….

52. Mattyleg says:

This award used to mean something when Montreal’s hockey writers voted the stars. They would vote players who actually played well and had an impact on the game, not just the guy who scored the bang-in goal.

The Molson Cup should represent the most valuable player for the Habs over the season. Although Price played well, I would argue that he doesn’t deserve that credit. Nor does Galchenyuk. Gally perhaps, but Markov and Plekanec are higher up my MVP chart for this season than Price.

The 3 Stars in Montreal is now just another idiotic corporate idea. “Let’s get the fans involved!”
    Appalling.

• ed says:

Subban was the team’s MVP

• “Lets get the fans involved!” That seemed to work out pretty well a few years back for the all star game. I’m OK with the fans getting input on the 3 stars because everyone knows by now that it’s a way that the team “gives back” to the fans by acknowledging their input on who was the best player of the game. No doubt the players also know about this and they show their appreciation to the fans by coming out on the ice and tossing pucks into the crowd. What other NHL franchise is giving anything back to their fans at all? I say good on the Canadiens organization for doing this. Although I could do without the Molson cup presentation every month.

53. Propwash says:

Habs in 6. That’s what my crystal ball says.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

54. William T Love says:

Tinordi has really impressed me since game 1

• Mattyleg says:

We haven’t played Game 1 yet.

…wait a secon… ARE YOU FROM THE FUTURE?!?!?

• Les Canayens says:

Imma go bet all my money, mortgages, car, jewelries at Mise aux jeux on the Habs at game 1.

…but futureman, when you said Tinordi impressed you since game 1, does the Habs win that game 1?

55. Habfan10912 says:

Besides the Montreal – Ottawa series, the two series that I think will have some compelling hockey are the Rangers vs Capitals and the LA Kings vs Blues. I still think the West Conference Champ will have to go through LA. The NY – Cap series should provide us with some classic Tort’s moments. He’s had his greatest meltdowns in the playoffs.
    There is no greater professional sporting event in the world then NHL playoff hockey. None.

• GrosBill says:

WAS vs NYR and STL vs LA were hardest ones to choose winners for in my playoff pool. Both make for excellent match ups. Was just saying that to a friend this morning that the NYR vs the Habs would have been interesting just for the Torts melt downs!

56. Chilly Willy says:

If this was an 82 game season Price would have lowered his GAA & raised his SAV%.

57. Loonie says:

Hey Timo, since you hate Bob Gainey with the fire of a thousand suns I’d like to ask you to show me a GM who hasn’t made multiple mistakes?

• Cal says:

You mean God Himself, Sam Pollock?

• Loonie says:

Exactly. And if we hold every GM to that standard they’re all miserable. There’s no hope at all.

Yet somebody wins the Cup every year.

;)

• Ton says:

Pollock made mistakes…….didn’t resign Dryden he sat out……pick Lafleur over Dionne……… oh oh here comes the posters………and he had some bad picks along the way.

• Chuck says:

You’d call picking Lafleur over Dionne a ‘mistake’?

___________________________________________________

• Ton says:

Guy was my hero but Dionne is a favorite in the niagara area………he did get more points than flower…….

• Chuck says:

More points, but how many more Stanley Cups?

___________________________________________________

• Mattyleg says:

To play Devil’s advocate, Chuck, Guy didn’t win those cups on his own…

• Chuck says:

True Matty, and even if they had chosen Dionne they could have won just as many Cups… but to call choosing Lafleur over Dionne a mistake?

___________________________________________________

• Ton says:

Ah Dionne has more cups in his possession as we speak……….flower has none in his restaurant and Marcel has plenty has his gift shop in Niagara Falls! I would have picked flower, wouldn’t change the past whatsoever! Wanted to get the energy flowing with some posters……….flower was a great hockey player…..great…….could have been the best of all time if he would have taken better care of himself……

• ont fan says:

He let Tony 0 go. Who won the Calder and Vezina in his first full season after he left 1969.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Even Sam Pollock passed over Mike Bossy in 1977.

Claude Ruel told him to pick him. And Bossy was already a star in Quebec as a Junior player.

• jols101 says:

Bergevin has a pretty good track record. He is still really new to the job though. I thought re-hiring Therrien was his first big mistake but I was wrong, it has worked out pretty well.

Signing DD to a 4 year extension still has me concerned. Having Galchenyuk, Eller and Pleks as the top 3, I still wonder where DD will fit in. But that is the only minor quibble I have so far with Bergevin.

• Alex_425 says:

Anyone notice that Timo hasn’t even replied to this yet?

But I’m no expert….

58. BrianSkrudland says:

Aside from Price and Gomez in recent years; what other players have been whipping boys in the team’s long history?

Saku, Breezer, Red-Light Racicot…

——–
    Daily recommendations for April 29
    Song of the Day: Pocahontas (Neil Young)
    Movie of the Day: Hoosiers

You know that Cowan, Boone and Stubbs were howling at what this new thread would do for reactions. The evil laughs could be heard all the way into Ontario when Cowan hit the submit button on this thread.

60. Loonie says:

This award is based on three star selections at the games, not based on commentary from members of HIO.

It’s a meaningless award. I smile every time I see Alex Galchenyuk in a Habs jersey but how many first or second star votes did he get and didn’t deserve this season? .

To those of you who despise Price you have no reason to worry, he won’t be nominated for the Vezina.

Take solace.

61. jo_maka says:

Talking about goalie, this is for Commandant and all the prospect hounds out there:

How good is Eric Comrie, and what are our chances of getting him at the draft ? We drafted Price when we had Theodore, I think some more depth between the pipes can’t be bad.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

62. Skeptical says:

Congratulation to Carey on winning the Molson Cup Player of the Year for 2012-2013. To all the team on the great season they gave us. Maybe they can surprise us in the playoffs.

My predictions 1st- Round winners:

Eastern Conference: Pittsburgh
    Montreal
    Washington
    Boston

Western Conference: Chicago
    Anaheim
    Vancouver
    Los Angeles

If there’s an upset it will be TORONTO over BOSTON .

63. jols101 says:

Oh boy here we go. A reason for the Price haters to get their panties in a bunch. Let it go. The Fans vote for the 3 stars. Price has nothing to do with the outcome. Direct your venom at fellow Hab fans that voted for him.

• BrianSkrudland says:

I think everyone is just having a laugh about it. No malice intended.

——–
      Daily recommendations for April 29
      Song of the Day: Pocahontas (Neil Young)
      Movie of the Day: Hoosiers

64. HABSIN09 says:

Without the 3 disastrous games during their slump, Carey’s stats were up with the rest of the leaders, and was certainly there during the 18 (ish) game point streak the Habs went on. Not sure why everyone has to hate Carey, he’s the Habs’ goalie, and will be for a long time, so live with it. My beef is, how the hell is the Habs/Sens series playing 3 games in 4 nights for a playoff series, let alone the possibility of 7 games in 11 nights…brutal!

• Skeptical says:

Because they don’t want a Canadian team to win the CUP

• ffenliv says:

Oh for the love of god.

The league told the Sens that they wouldn’t be made to play on Tuesday after they were forced to play Sunday in a make-up game for one of the Boston bombing cancellations.

There’s a concert at the Bell on Wednesday, and the league prefers the series to wrap up around the same time, not two or three days later.

Hence the back-to-back games.

• zephyr says:

i wonder if bettman has the refs favouring some teams in the playoffs. a friend of mine has a theory that bettman wants to get teams from different geographical areas in the u.s. to go deep in the playoffs to generate fan interest. the big u.s. tv contract is his main goal. remember when carolina won it? how many times did they run the habs golaie with impunity that year? koivu almost lost an eye – no call. recall the last series against boston? how many games did the habs get penalties in the last 2 or 3 mins of the period? penalties that weren’t being called were awarded ‘arbitrarily’ ay key points in the games. might as well have started handing out speeding tickets at the indy 500 – but only to some teams. have a look at the map for the latest cup winners: tampa, carolina, anaheim, detroit, pittsburgh, chicago, boston, l.a.. i wouldn’t put it past bettman at all. last time a canandian team won the cup was in ’93 when the habs did it.

So what’s the scoop from the practice? Anyone knows anything?

66. Irishhabsfan says:

The fans have spoken, I’ll bet I am not the first to say his mojo will be back come Thursday, that is if he is not playing hurt.

GO HABS!

67. jo_maka says:

I like the guy, but come on, this is not serious.

When you have guys that actually are in the top 3 of their peers in your roster (Subban – Markov – Gallagher), it should at least be one of them.

Don’t get it twisted, Price is good and has been good despite the slump down the stretch. But he hasn’t been a legit top three this season in the league if you really look at it. Subban will get a nod for Norris, Gally for Calder, Markov was a monster on the PP and is a favorite for the Masterton, and you tell me Price was the best player of this season ?

Come on now……
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Cal says:

Fans vote for the 3 stars selections, so the Molson Cup is basically a People’s Choice award. Not too much value in that, is there?

• jo_maka says:

If you put it that way, I guess there isn’t. See, this is why I think it’s a bad idea to let the fans chose the stars.
        ______________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• HabFanSince72 says:

Goalies are always more likely to win the three star voting than any other player.

And to be honest if you were to pick which Hab player would hurt us the most if injured, it would hands-down be Price.

Hah… that’s a good joke. Who was making a selection – Bob Gainey?

69. William T Love says:

This makes the Molson Cup Player Award an absolute joke. Price didn’t carry the team all season.. The team carried Price. Habs finished second in the Eastern Conference with there #1 goaltender finishing 27th in GAA and 31th in Save% in a 30 team league. That is amazing.. I will say that GAA is not all about the goaltender but, Save% tells alot.

• shiram says:

It’s a gimmick trophy anyways, why raise a fuss?

“The game isn’t played on the weight scale and it’s not played in the gym, it’s played on the ice and it’s whoever wanted it more.” #81

• BrianSkrudland says:

Not that I disagree with your comment, but I am curious to read who you would you have slotted for the award instead of Price?

——–
      Daily recommendations for April 29
      Song of the Day: Pocahontas (Neil Young)
      Movie of the Day: Hoosiers

• Timo says:

For me it’s Gallagher. The guy who never took foot of the pedal, who never took a night off, and who personifies courage (as far as hockey goes at least)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed that Gallagher was excellent, but he was not more valuable to the team than Price, Subban, or Plekanec (for starters) – based purely on whose absence would hurt the team’s chances the most.

• BrianSkrudland says:

As much as a appreciate and Gallagher’s play; I’d also go with PK and Pleks respectively before Gally.

——–
            Daily recommendations for April 29
            Song of the Day: Pocahontas (Neil Young)
            Movie of the Day: Hoosiers

• Blondemon says:

Kudos for differentiating hockey courage from real courage. I would do likewise for the word ‘hero’ which is bandied about too liberally nowadays.

Back to hockey: +1 on Gally

• mrhabby says:

there is only 1 trophy ..why all the drama.

Don’t know why we haven’t just waived him already. Clearly all the fans and mgmt realize he is completely incompetent. I bet no other team would even pick him up on waivers.

Now is the time for us to get his sorry ass out of Montreal. Budaj should play every minute of every playoff game from here on out.

• Chuck says:

What save % often tells you is the quality of the shot that the opposition is able to get through your defense. A defense that gives up many quality shots from in close will no doubt have a goalie with a lower save % than one that keeps dangerous shooters to the outside.

___________________________________________________

• William T Love says:

Agree with Timo.. Gallagher. Price is so talented. If he played with the heart Gallagher did.. He would be at least in the top 3 of all goaltender statistics.. Gallagher came to play every night.

• Blondemon says:

The award tallies up all the stars in every game. Theoretically, you can have a guy who is a runner up (ie. 4th star) day in and day out, who is a more valuable player than a guy who gets one measly 1 third star and therefore ranks higher in the Molson Cup rankings. Or even more than Price who gets a lot of stars, but in some games would be 5th or 6th best Hab.

This reminds of a poll we did in college to pick the top 100 songs of all time. Everybody filled a sheet picking their top 10. Based on that, the top 100 was determined by couting and weighting of votes. Theoretically, if everybody had the same 11th best song, it should rank #11, but because it never appeared on anybody’s top 10, it gets no mention on the final list.

My pick for best player all season is Gally, in a pick ‘em over Soobie.

70. BrianSkrudland says:

First (round in six)

Edit: Third (round in seven)
    ——–
    Daily recommendations for April 29
    Song of the Day: Pocahontas (Neil Young)
    Movie of the Day: Hoosiers

71. Get your ask to Montreal!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

72. Habfan10912 says:

I have been a long time poster and I believe this is my first first. Do I win free tickets to Thursday’s game?

Edit: Assist to Jols who should also get a ticket.

73. Loonie says:

Why doesn’t it surprise me that a Peterborough native would feel this way.

;)

Kidding aside Terry. I agree that CBC leans to the left the majority of the time. But they also tend to lean with polling numbers. They provided wall to wall coverage Liberal scandals and have a tendency to sweep Conservative scandals under the rug. Most recently in the time leading up to our last Federal election.

They did expose some poor decisions made by a large part of our Conservative leadership during the purchase of new fighter jets recently but I haven’t seen much anti-right content lately.

74. Blondemon says:

Loonie, they were probably jumping on the NDP bandwagon, ditching the ‘natural governing party’ ship as it was sinking. So they are harder left than I thought. hmmm

75. Loonie says:

Yeah you’ve got it Nick. They’re all socialists.

76. Blondemon says:

haha I was kidding though. Anyway I don’t recall hearing about them sweeping con scandals aside and highlighting lib ones. I’ll take your word for it, though, I really don’t watch CBC much anymore, I confess. Maybe they’re less biased than I thought.

Anyway, we should stick to hockey. Well, at least we both like the same team, politics be damned! ;)

77. habsfan0 says:

Penguins beat Islanders.
    Habs beat Senators.
    Rangers beat Caps.
    Laffs beat Bruins.

Ergo,Habs vs Leafs in next round.

78. Dr.Rex says:

The Bruins and Leafs deserve one another. I think it worked out for better hockey this way.

79. Sean Bonjovi says: