Price in goal for Habs as Roy returns to Bell Centre with Avalanche

All eyes will be on Patrick Roy Tuesday night on his return to the Bell Centre as head coach of the Colorado Avalanche (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“It will be a different atmosphere in the building tonight with Patrick’s return,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Brossard after Tuesday’s morning skate. “We’ll likely have a very competitive game between the two teams. It shows at what point Patrick is passionate about hockey and about coaching. He could’ve chosen a different road to get there, but the fact that he worked with kids for years (with the QMJHL’s Quebec Remparts), in my eyes, I respect him a lot for that.”

“I think it’s going to be great. I expect it to be great,” Roy told an overflow news conference Monday at the Bell Centre.

In 2012, a French-language Montreal newspaper ran a poll asking fans who they would like to most see fill the vacant positions as general manager and head coach. Roy finished first for each position.

“Two years ago, I was (fans’) No. 1 for coach and GM,” Roy said. “I could have had both jobs if it was voted by fans. I truly appreciate that. I thought that was a great gesture, for them to give me that opportunity to be on top. That made me feel good with the fans.

“It’s not that I had doubt, but at the same time it was nice to see that the past was way behind us and everybody had moved on. They could see me as their next coach or GM. For the ego, I have to admit, that felt good.”

Said Roy about his days playing in Montreal, including Stanley Cup victories in 1986 and 1993: “It helped me to become the person I am. Not only the person I am, but also the player I was. The leaders we had at the time: Robinson, Gainey, Tremblay, Carbonneau, Chelios and on and on, you could draw a list of players who were outstanding leaders. I learned a lot from every one of them. Even the coaches we had, I could say easily I learned a lot from them as well.”

The Avalanche has a 21-9-2 record this season on the road and sits in second place in the Central Division with a 44-19-5 record for 93 points, 12 more than the Canadiens (37-25-7).

Carey Price will be back in goal for the Canadiens against the Avalanche, making his second start since recovering from a lower-body injury suffered at the Sochi Olympics. Price has an 0-2-1 record with a 3.61 goals-against average in three career games against Colorado. Jean-Sebastien Giguere will start in goal for the Avalanche.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked for the Canadiens at Tuesday’s morning skate:

Briere-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta
Weise-Prust-Moen
Parros-Bourque-White

Bouillon-Subban
Emelin-Markov
Tinordi-Weaver
Murray

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Avalanche preview, NHL.com

All Things Avs, Denver Post

St. Patrick’s Day in Montreal for Roy, Stu on Sports blog

Roy ready for return to Bell Centre, NHL.com

Five Questions: Landeskog on Roy, NHL.com

In the East there’s Boston – and then there’s everyone else, The Hockey News

1. Loop_Garoo says:

It keeps coming up that Beaulieu is in Hamilton strickly due to his attitude when sent down, but I don’t buy it. It may be true that he had a letdown, but I think this has more to do with getting Tinordi a good look for next year, and not wanting to many rookie D-men up. Its not what I would do, I’d have them both up, but I think its more than his attitude.

2. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I have a good feeling it will be a shoot-out tonight. Looking forward to a lot of “up and down” play. Vanek scores tonight.

3. HammerHab says:

silly Leaf fans….”we had to fly from Anahem to LA then to SJ waaaaahh!” please….try La to Anaheim to Phoenix changing timezones in the middle of that western road swing, then go back to SJ and do it all with your backup goaltender! babies!

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

4. WindsorHab-10 says:

When mentioning great leaders on teams he played for Montreal, I can’t believe he mentioned Tremblay. Still trying to digest that one. I still remember the stare Mario gave Roy as he was talking to friggin Corey.

5. Phil C says:

Look at Roy in that picture, he doesn’t even know how to hold on to his stick. And he is afraid to cross the redline because of all those years of learning the goalie rules.  How can you be a coach if you can’t even cross the redline?

6. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Still can’t believe the Habs traded Roy for a back-up goalie and a bunch of 2 and 3rd liners…@$@#% Tremblay…

• Habcouver says:

Almost 20 years, and it still hurts.
      No, I still won’t let it go.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• scrotchland says:

you mean $#^$# roy.
      as much as tremblay was an idiot, roy walked out on the team. he could have waited until after the game or the next day and asked for a trade. demanding a trade in public like that forced the team into getting back less than they could have.

Loved patrick as a goalie. I’m not a big fan of patrick the man.

• HammerHab says:

he also could have apologized the next day and said he didnt mean what he said, his emotions got the best of him (those same emotions that made him the best goaltender of all-time) and that he wanted to stay a Hab! Oh…whats that? he did that? hmmmm….nevermind….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

No I mean @$@#% Tremblay…

7. Habilis says:

You know how I know that the “French Canadian goalies, no matter who they are, play better vs the Habs” narrative is in fact true?

The best goalie we’ve ever had (so far) believes it, and you know he wants to win this game.

I’m with you Front, I also hope we light Giguere up.

8. frontenac1 says:

I want to see the Habs light up the Avs Goalie and Roy lose his sh#t behind the bench.

9. New says:

Man I can not believe that MacKinnon will be 19 in another six months. 52 points, 17 minutes a game, the Avs are going to be so good for so long.

I like the quote in the article …”..but at the same time it was nice to see that the past was way behind us and everybody had moved on.” So all the little boo-birds up in the rafters can read into that, if they can read, and wonder again why it is so hard to get world class players to come to town. It wasn’t that Roy got mad at Tremblay, or the Habs. It was that Roy was left in there, to get humiliated and the boos rained down, that is why he wanted out. To get away from us.

• The_Truth says:

MacKinnon will be in Crosby/Stamkos territory sooner rather than later.

He’s better than I thought he would be.

• habcertain says:

and what do we hear here, Chucky is too young to assume a bigger role etc etc.

the part that I liked form the article was Tremblay not disciplining Vinny for being late and Roy pissed off because if the unfairness….where have we heard that lately!

10. Phil C says:

So how much would we have to pay Ronald Corey to sit behind the Colorado bench tonight? He should do it for free, he kinda still owes us.

• Frank2468 says:

Yes he does owe us but this time I think Patrick would rip his arms from his shoulders if he’s behind his bench tonight or maybe give him the left eye wink. lol

11. jimmy shaker says:

Just checking out stubbs on twitter and he’s got the one stat that makes me turn the channel or shut off the game. I hate when I see these stats. It’s really one of the only stats that I put any valour in. Check it out

When leading after 1st period, #Avs are 25-3-1. When up after 2nd period: 32-0-2. Egad. #Habs #HabsIO

#Avs are a goofy .872 this season – 34-2-3 – when scoring first. They’re the only NHL team not shut out in 2013-14 #Habs #HabsIO

Shaker out!

12. wall2bay says:

Anybody know of any sports bars in NYC that wud show tonight’s game?

13. Phil C says:

Partrick Roy was a goalie, what the hell do goalies know about coaching? He probably needs his assistants to put on his skates for practices. Could he take a hit like Therrien did when Whitey slew footed him? Not a chance! That would have been the end of Roy right there. Anyone who gets beat up by Mike Vernon shouldn’t be coaching the Habs, that’s just a rule. And what are we without rules?

• shiram says:

Therrien broke or injured a rib on that White hit btw.

• Paz says:

I think there was 1 overtime game vs the Rangers in 93 when he made about 15 or 16 saves, until we finally scored.

The definition of a real “gamer”.

• The Jackal says:

I’m a real gamer too, I have a really high gamer score and have beat all the games I play on the highest possible difficulty setting. I also have a really high level in the Quizup gaming section AND I won my NFL and NHL pool this years – that’s right, my NHL fantasy team was so badass that I have mathematically won. :D

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I remember that game well. Without question that overtime was the best display of goaltending I have ever seen. The Habs played great that series, but in that overtime they were dominated, and Roy made several saves that were jaw dropping save of a lifetime type saves. It was absolutely unreal. After that game, even long time fans that remembered the Dryden era, Plante, etc, said it was the best they had ever seen.

14. Paz says:

When Roy was a rookie I went to see an exhibition game vs the Oilers at the Forum.

I think we lost 7-4 that game. It was early in the Pre Season, but Gretzky schooled Roy a few times. Gretzky had at least 4, maybe 5 points.

I left the Forum shaking my head.

What was all the fuss about this guy, Roy? Nothing special, I thought.

15. B says:

Therrien and Roy both played for the 84/85 Sherbooke Canadiens.

–Go Habs Go!–

Paul Stastny, 28, is an UFA this summer. He’s probably going to command somewhere around 7-7.5M a season on a 7 year deal.

If you check out his stats, is this guy really worth the money or was he grossly overpaid on his last contract of 6.7M a season? Is the league going to start doling out 7.5M to guys who are not in the elite class of the NHL?

17. Paz says:

Which one of these players is NOT a solid NHL offensive player?

Pacioretty
    Vanek
    Gallagher
    Plekanec
    Galchenyuk
    Subban
    Markov
    Desharnais

And we can’t score goals?

And you guys don’t think it’s because of the system?

• johnnylarue says:

I’m gonna go ahead and “plus one” this. ;)

• Paz says:

I think we have proven several times this year, even 4 or 5 times in the last 15 games, that we are a dangerous team offensively.

When do you see it?

When we fall behind and we need one or two goals.

Against Ottawa, and 3 or 4 times this past road trip, that I can recall.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m not one to pile on the coach, but I do think there is some weight to the theory that his lack of confidence in this team’s ability to score/maintain puck possession has filtered down to the players.

When you play not to lose for long enough, you can forget how to win.

• D Mex says:

Hey Paz
          Your points strike me as valid : – we have the personnel and they have shown flashes of potent offence – just not consistently.

What I view differently are the refs to ‘ system ‘, and the constant harping about it (this is not a dig at your posts).
          My understanding and past application of the concept is more aimed at what a team does * away * from the puck, eg : how we approach the breakout, play the neutral zone, position for the quick up, etc. Sure, the Habs falter in these aspects of the game at times – who doesn’t, but none of it has struck me as a chronic team ailment.

Quite obviously, goal scoring is a function of what we do once we’ve gained the offensive zone : set plays help (eg : cycling, back door, etc) and, again, the fact that we don’t light it up consistently signals that we can improve. But a big piece of this also rests with the players you’ve named above – their ability to see the ice, improvise, adjust and succeed as units of 5 … it’s my view that responsibility for this cannot be placed solely on a coach or coaching staff.

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

• bwoar says:

Arguments can be made, on that list, against Gallagher and Plekanec, and to some degree Galchenyuk and Desharnais.

Mostly we can’t score goals because our defense can’t start the attack correctly and are expected to.

• Paz says:

But last year we scored, right? Same core of forwards. Same core of defencemen. We were one of the highest scoring, 5 on 5 teams in the league. I believe we were 6th overall.

• bwoar says:

I think you can toss out the lockout-shortened half-season as any indicator of anything. Subban won the Norris for Pete’s sake. Does anyone really think that’s gonna happen again? Diaz looked like a hockey players for part of a season. Et cetera. It’s an illusion, and this year the honest 82 game truth is coming to light.

That’s my take on it, no better or worse than yours or anyone’s. Maybe I’m wrong, but, I just don’t see the system as the only (or biggest) difference from last year.

• The Jackal says:

PK will win the Norris again, you can bet on that.
            Not this season though.

Paz – yes, we scored goals last season, until we didn’t because teams figured out how to shut us down. Why would virtually the same roster all of a sudden score again? I think MT has his shortcomings but once players are on the ice it’s up to them to perform. I won’t dwell on how many blown chances and open nets and breakaways we’ve not scored on this season, but that is a big part of the picture we need to include when asking where all the goals are.

Your list of offensive players is accurate but how many are playmakers and how many are actually NATURAL goal scorers? How many are in decline and how many are stalling in their development? I’m open to the suggesting that MT is not getting the most out of his players, I’d say that is true, but he does other things well and has overall had good success.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• D Mex says:

Agree Jackal ✓

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Maritime Ronn says:

The system?
      Forgive me, yet I do not know/understand what the system is…if you can decipher it, please explain.

Now add that to constant line shuffling where a 3 man unit can hardly learn the habits or tendencies of each of their lines mates for 200 ft. let alone an offensive zone, and it’s easy to see how difficult it can become.
      Lastly, a lot of bad shooting…..

• Paz says:

When the d retrieve a puck we rarely look to transition quickly.

When we enter the zone on the rush, we rarely activate a dman.

We almost ever send 2 men deep to forecheck.

All part of the “system”, right?

• Maritime Ronn says:

…and what would you call that system?
          :-)

• CJ says:

I agree. So why is Beaulieu in Hamilton? Mike Weaver is not the solution, but the insurance policy should the solution break down.

• Paz says:

Beaulieu? Who the heck is that?

• CJ says:

The missing man IMO.

• D Mex says:

Beaulieu is in Hamilton because somebody thinks his mental approach (read : attitude) needs some work.

That, and the fact that sound defensive hockey is winning hockey at playoff time. Tinordi is more sound, both defensively and attitudinally, than Beaulieu. I suspect he has little to no potential to become a distraction, and he brings more of what coaches cannot teach – size – than young Nathan does.

It’s really that simple.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

18. ffenliv says:

Anyone here think Colorado will give up a quick 9 to Montreal, and Roy leaves the goalie in, just to see how it feels from the other side?

Are we trading THerrien to Avalanche? Sweet.

• jimmy shaker says:

I think you can only trade coach’s in the NBA (Doc Rivers). I wonder is sakic would do a straight up deal for Roy? If we could trade coach’s what would u guys give up? I’m thinking most people on here are going to be cheeky and say “Nothing”, wait until he’s fired, and you can get him for free. But Roy looks like he could be at the helm for a while there in denver……so to play the game, I guess I would give up a second rounder and a third rounder to get patty.

Shaker out!

• flowerpower_74 says:

The Rangers and Canucks traded coaches last year.

Montreal Canadiens-2013 and forever Northeast Division Champs

20. wjc says:

As the day goes on ROY is getting BIGGER AND BIGGER.

He is a legend what chance does poor Therien have.

Therien is getting smaller and smaller.

Why is ROY not coaching in Montreal is the cry.

Mr. Stanley now has Mr. ROY name on it again…..almost.

Bow your head in shame Mr. Terrien, do not look at Mr. Roy.

Listen to the ovation on and on it goes…..Mr. Roy look humble, look humble. The humiliation has only started for Mr. Therien.

The game is on, it has finally started, it is what we feared, shot after shot at Mr. Price…..goal…..goal…..how many saves is that 30 another goal. Thank goodness for intermissions.

Look humble Mr. Roy….bow in shame Mr. Therien

2ND AND 3RD PERIOD……more of the same shame shame..Mr. Bergevin…you had your chance.

The game is over look humble Mr. Roy….it is now clear, the Canadiens are never more….like the Roman empire fell, like the Nazi’s fell……oh the humanity.

wjc

• scrotchland says:

each one of your lines reads like a fortune cookie.

Avs will humiliate the habs by 7 or 8 goals tonight. Therian WILL bow his head in shame.

look at the pretty flowers therian.

• bwoar says:

Good post. Getting tired of the God of Hockey King Prince Roy taking up the entirety of North America, with tiny parts set aside for a couple of Mexicans and some napkins.

21. Sportfan says:

YAY Weise plays again haha and did Roy actually acknowledge Tremblay?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Don’t know if its official, but the fourthperiod.com seems to think so. Looks like Nolan is getting a 3 year extension with Sabres.

23. JF says:

Since the segment of 24CH in which Michel Therrien tells his players to accept the fact that they are a grinding team, many of us have taken to complaining about the defensive style the Habs play. We argue that we’re not a grinding team, we’re not built to be a grinding team, we’re built for speed and skill. We should be playing fast, aggressive, in-your-face-hockey, not chipping-it-in and grinding-it-out hockey. We’re too small, we’re not tough enough, we can’t win puck battles – and, besides, it’s boring.

In theory this is great. It’s how the Blackhawks and teams built like them win. It’s how we sometimes win. The problem? We can rarely sustain this kind of hockey for sixty minutes. We played the first periods of our games against Boston and Ottawa last week this way, with the result that we dominated our opponent but in neither game did we emerge from the period with a lead. Nor could we achieve the same level of intensity and aggression in the second period.

To be successful playing fast, aggressive, offensive hockey, a team has to be able to grab a lead and hold onto it. We’re not yet good enough to do that. We’re nowhere near opportunistic enough, and perhaps we don’t yet have the talent.
    So maybe we need some kind of hybrid style, a style that is fast and aggressive and in which we come at our opponent in waves, but a style that is at the same time defensive – if that isn’t a contradiction in terms. Or maybe we need to play the way we did in the first periods mentioned above, but with a little less intensity. That way we might have enough in the tank for sixty minutes.

But it does seem that most NHL teams play defensive hockey. Weak teams and teams that don’t score a lot know that their only hope of winning games is to focus on defence, on protecting the front of their net and on keeping their opponent to the outside, while at the same time making the most of any offensive opportunities that present themselves. We saw the same thing at the Olympics. The weaker teams could hope to remain in the competition only by playing this way. Remember the quarter-final against Latvia? The Latvians kept it close by playing all-out defence; thanks to superb goaltending and blocking dozens of shots, they almost made it to overtime.

That’s as far as my thinking about the way we play takes me at the moment. I just don’t think we’re strong enough yet to play the all-out attacking kind of hockey people would like to see. When we try it, we run out of gas and our defence falls apart.

• Cal says:

I don’t think any team can maintain the uptempo game the Habs usually start with. It isn’t a big surprise that they don’t get the 2 or 3 goals lead such efforts deserve. The Habs don’t have any top snipers (aside from Patches and Vanek) and so they get the big lead in shots but barely any reward.
      As for those thinking that the Habs scoring future is rosy, none of the players in Hamilton can score much. Hopefully, a couple of juniors will pan out as far as that goes.
      Thanks to Price’s outstanding season, the Habs are one of the best teams as far as goals allowed. We all know how terrible they are offensively.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I brought this up a few days ago, and on the last telecast Dave Reid (on TSN Montreal) said something to the same effect: that you have to leave something in the tank for the rest of the game. Not his words but that’s the idea.

• Paz says:

We played aggressive last year and killed it until the injuries hit.
      Same coach too.
      Imagine that.

• 24 Cups says:

I count 7 out of 18 skaters who can play an up tempo game. Eight if you include Pleks. I’m not sure that’s enough to bring back the phrase Flying Frenchmen.

• johnnylarue says:

Nice post, JF.

I don’t think it’s a question of playing run-and-gun hockey for 60 minutes so much as moving away from the 5-man ‘swarm’ defence the team is playing to allow for faster transitions and cleaner breakouts.

It’s an established fact that these forwards cannot play dump and chase, so why not go back to playing a more traditional zone defence, keeping two defending forwards higher, closer to the blue line, ready to explode out of the zone for odd-man rushes, etc.?

Alternately, given that our team does well playing 4-on-5, why not give the attacking team something to think about and have a forward waiting for a breakaway pass at the opponent’s blue line?

These are two, very simplistic (because I’m simple-minded) ways in which to use this team’s strengths to its advantage without necessitating the sort of unsustainable all-out attack we’ve seen them deploy in first periods of late.

Bottom line: you need to score a few goals before you can rely on airtight defence to win you games. (And our defence is hardly airtight…)

• bwoar says:

Great post JF. We gotta cash in during those 1st period blitzkriegs. That said, I think we’ve got a mediocre defense and it’s not going to hold for 60 minutes most nights. So even having that cushion, it’d be nail-biting defensive hockey.

24. Stanley Cup says:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

a day late and a dollar short

25. mdp2011 says:

This is a great read.

@Deadspin: Six ways the Florida Panthers hope to screw Broward County taxpayers: http://deadsp.in/EgaOP7j

Not sure if many of you are familiar with the Florida Panthers arena deal, but it has indeed been quite the sweetheart deal for the Panthers. Turns out now they want some more money from the County to spruce up the place, and maybe just a couple small changes to the current agreement. Crazy…..

27. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Bouillon-Subban! Habs gonna win!!!!!!!!

28. Danno says:

@Kempie

Do you have any more balloon-art creations like the Red Wings logo and what is the story behind them?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

29. Phil C says:

Roy’s ego has always grated on my nerves. I can understand why people like him, but I’m glad he’s not coaching the Habs. I think eventually he will meet a star player with an ego as big as his and there will be fireworks.

30. Habitoban says:

I’m wondering why when White would fight in the past he would sit the next game, but when Prust fights every game (usually for no good reason) it’s White who sits. White may be wondering that too.

• habcertain says:

the problem with the Oilers is they drafted the same type players each year, especially ignoring d-men which is their need. nothing wrong with drafting high picks, just need a smart GM.

• Phil C says:

Prust is very much a pro about picking his spot. White, not so much in the past, but he is getting better.

• jimmy shaker says:

If Moen doesn’t start doing something that warrants him being in the lineup, I think whitey and his presence at the dot and his skating will get the nod. MT is going withe the vet right now, but I wouldn’t mind seeing prust/white/weezy as the 4th line.

Shaker out!

31. DipsyDoodler says:

Colorado’s top three scorers:

Matt Duchene drafted 3rd.
    Gabriel Landeskog drafted 2nd
    Nathan McKinnon drafted 1st.

That is how you build a winner in the NHL.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

32. Habs1962 says:

I’m thinking Price will look great tonight and the Team will score 3 goals for him !
    3-2 Habs !!

Tonight’s probable line-up for Colorado.

Ryan O`Reilly – Matt Duchene – Jamie McGinn
    Gabe Landeskog – Paul Stastny – Nathan MacKinnon
    Cody McLeod – John Mitchell – Max Talbot
    Patrick Bordeleau / Marc-Andre Cliché / Paul Carey / Brad Malone

Erik Johnson – Jan Hejda
    Nick Holden – Tyson Barrie
    Cory Sarich – Andre Benoit

J. S. Giguere

Injury Report – Tanguay, Parenteau and Stastny who is day-to-day and will be a game time decision.

Montreal’s home record = 19-11-5
    Colorado’s road record = 21-9-3

34. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Did Roy really list Tremblay as one of the leaders on Habs in 80’s that influenced him? That’s just hard to believe

35. habs-fan-84 says:

Craig Button and Pat Hickey telling Brian Hays on TSN1050 how it is. Man Brian Hays sounds like a clown.

36. habsfan0 says:

If the Habs put 5 past Giguere in the first period,I suspect Roy will pull him.

• mark-ID says:

If the Habs put five by Giguere, I suspect that Roy will strap on the pads himself, fight Price to try and get momentum back for his troops :O

• Thomas Le Fan says:

If that happens, it’ll mean one of two things. Either miracles never cease or that missing plane is in my garage.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

37. mfDx says:

No Murray or Weaver at morning skate?

Sent from my CHphone

• Stu Cowan says:

Weaver was with Tinordi … Murray to be healthy scratch again. Post has been fixed to add that.

Hey Stu, trust you are doing well sir. Hey I know at the last Summit you were looking for some stories on various members here who make the pilgrimage to Montreal to see our Habs. I suggest you archive the last thread as a great deal of HI/O’ers shared their earliest beginnings of becoming Hab fans.

Take care Stu.

38. monmick says:

Deuxième étoile…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

Game Day Go Habs Go!

Assume DreamWeaver is the 6th Dman?

• CJ says:

I think so. At the very least, it places Tinordi on his natural side.

• Habfan10912 says:

Let me be the first to ask you two guys if you agree with me that Tinordi ahead of Murray is a good thing?

CJ – Feeling better?

• CJ says:

Hi Jim!

Feeling much better. Actually went to bed at 18:15 last night. Thank you for asking.

With respect to your question, yes I believe that this is a good thing and do agree with you. In so much as I want to say Tinordi is younger, has a future with the organization, is growing in the role, etc., frankly it’s about here and now. To this end, I think Tinordi is better than Murray right now. Of course I also like the move for the reasons previously noted, but Tinordi has a special something, that is hard to find and most importantly it is on display right now.

Murray is certainly more physically mature, but Tinordi, despite having just turned 22, is very emotionally mature. He does not react negativly to goals against and is constantly listening when the coach is talking while on the bench. I know, small potatos right, but the truth is this is a big deal. I like the move. I only hope it is the first of a series of moves as I also believe strongly that Beaulieu can help address our deficiency on the second wave of the PP and is the puck mover that could compliment Markov.

• Chrisadiens says:

Aren’t you forgetting something? …….. ;)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Lafleurguy says:

Hey!….Look who’s in the inaugural post position.

40. Cal says:

The VP of player personnel and head coach of the Avs will only coach there. Later, he may end up as a GM for them, too. He will not coach anywhere else unless he messes up the team big time. And, if he does that, who would want him?

41. wjc says:

What cup are you talking about sniffing?

wjc

42. Phil C says:

Therrien’s ego grates on me too if it makes you feel any better. The Avs can have him. I say there is as good a chance he craps the bed as there is he wins the Cup.

43. Cal says:

It’s just fun to read your anti-Habs posts. Gotta give you one thing: you are consistent and should be at the head of the tinfoil Stanley Cup parade the laffs hold every spring.

44. scrotchland says:

your right in your comments brother!

45. Danno says:

Michel Therrien won the Memorial Cup as coach of Granby Predateurs in 1996

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

46. Say Ash says:

Frankie Soup on that team?

47. Paz says:

I believe Cube was the captain of that team.

48. ffenliv says:

You mean those same Avalanche who drafted Matt Duchene and Nathan Mackinnonn? One played for Team Canada. The other will if the NHL continues going to the Olympics.

Everyone wants to reduce things to simple solutions. Fact is, Colorado was terrible, got some good picks, and they’re turning out. They also seem to have good coaching now. These things are combining to form a winning team.

49. Mr_MacDougall says:

Catching is strong too.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

50. shlamiel says:

bad feelings, cheering for roy , the look on m.t. not important the outcome is what counts, in the standings.