Price: Habs got ‘back to basics’ in 2-1 win over Panthers (Video)

(Photo: John Mahoney/The Gazette)

It wasn’t a pretty win, but the Canadiens managed to hang on to a one-goal lead to beat the Florida Panthers 2-1 Monday at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens took a 2-1 lead into the third period and managed to stave off the Panthers, thanks in large part to goaltender Carey Price, who coach Michel Therrien likened to a closer in baseball.

“I thought we played two really good periods,” said Canadiens captain Brian Gionta who scored the game-winning goal.

The Panthers made a good push in the third and the Canadiens sat back a little, said Gionta, adding Price was the reason they won.

“He held us in that third period.”

Price said he thought the Canadiens played a really solid game.

“We got back to basics I think,” Price said.

“We got back to our style of hockey, which is shutdown hockey.”

Price conceded things got a “little bit scrambly at the end, but we found a way.”

Tomas Plekanec asssisted on Gionta’s goal. Earlier in the day, he was named to the Czech Republic’s men’s Olympic hockey team. He’ll also captain the team.

“It’s obviously a great honour. I’m very happy about it. But it’s just a letter on a jersey,” Plekanec said.

“We’ve got to all play like captains out there to be successful.”

Price said Plekanec will be lead by example. “He plays a solid two-way game. He doesn’t take a night off. He’s a perfect example of leadership.”

When he gets on the ice you know exactly what to expect from Plekanec, Therrien said.

“I have huge confidence in his understanding of the game.”

You can listen to what Plekanec had to say here: (You might have to crank up the volume for this one.)

You can watch what Price had to say here:

And you can watch what Gionta had to say here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. slyCH says:

Toilet seat logo comeback.

So I’m wearing my Habs T today, a “Lafleur” T no less, and this guy crawls up to me from behind and says, “Why are you wearing a toilet seat?”
    Now, I heard it once before a few months ago and was taken aback by the shear vitriol spewed by the person. But this guy obviously had reservations going all out in neutral territory…I guess. So I was not taken aback but quick.
    “Toilet bowl, I said…You must be from Toronto” He giggled.
    Without missing a beat I told him, “this toilet seat logo has 24 cups under it, our porcelain is the cup, your leaf logo is our toilet paper.” We wipe our azz with your logo.

This guy left without a peep.

2. Sportfan says:

I think I saw something that said White out for two weeks if so you’d think they would call someone up just to be safe!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. Stevie.Ray says:

How many points has DD had since he broke out of his slump?

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Not sure, but he’s been great. Now we need a 3rd line.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• vegas says:

what great about a number 1 C, whom plays with our 2 top wingers, that gets the bulk of the powerplay time and that will finish with approximately 40 points

I think anyone that would benefit that would have similar or superior stats, including Briere, Chucky, Eller etc….

• Stevie.Ray says:

From Oct 1 – Nov 18 DD played 19 games and had 1p
      From Nov 19 – Jan 6 DD played 23 games and had 20 points. In this time he had 6 multi-point games .
      If he can continue this pace he is currently on he will finish the season with a respectable 54 points. I would expect him to probably end with between 40-45 though which will average itself off to about .5 ppg.

4. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Cammaleri scored his 13th tonight. Meanwhile, Bourque turned in another useless performance for us.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Stevie.Ray says:

Fucale and cap space.

• slyCH says:

Cammalleri can score 50 this season and I could care less. Didn’t like the pick up. Didn’t fret the dump. He did well that one season but…so what.

• canuckhab says:

Cammaleri has played 34 of 42 games, and has 20 points.
      Bourque has played 32 of 44 games, and has 7 points.
      Cammaleri’s cap hit is $6,000,000/yr, Bourque’s is $3,333,333.
      Cammaleri is -20, Bourque is -2 (dfferent teams, but c’mon!).
      Cammaleri has 18 hits, Bourque has 35.

I’m sure someone will poke holes in this, but this is how I see it:
      Cammaleri’s 20 points are cancelled by his team worst -20, while Bourque, at 55% of Cammaleri’s cap hit, and with two less games, ends up at +5. Also, just for good measure, Bourque more or less has double the hits that Cammaleri has, but we don’t need a physical team.

…and not to mention that we got Fucale out of the deal. I like Cammaleri, but we already had plenty of small players…. So I think the Goat did OK on that one. I would make that trade again in a heartbeat, even if it was mid-game… Goat probably couldn’t believe his luck and wanted to get it done before Calgary changed their mind!

5. Habcouver says:

Trois

What’s the scoop of Price tweeking his groin?

Waiting patiently for #25