Price, Gionta take day off, Recchi spouts off

HIOplaceholder12

Goaltender Carey Price and captain Brian Gionta both took therapy days as the Canadiens held a practice in Brossard prior to their departure for Boston where they will play the Bruins Thursday night.

AUDIO: Ryan White | Scott Gomez | Mathieu Darche | P.K. Subban | Jeff Halpern | David Desharnais | Jacques Martin I and II

And Bruins’ Mark Recchi, on Boston radio Wednesday afternoon, says Habs embellished extent of Max Pacioretty’s concussion in a bid to have Zdeno Chara suspended. Thanks to Rod Francis of Team 990 for clipping and forwarding the audio.

1. KenD29 says:

Please tell me you are not serious?!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

2. Bill J says:

MOD’s when you delete posts – it really messes the thread up. IE this reply was a reply to Puckhead72 (Bruins fan) as was KenD29’s below this one, and the post below that was me replying to him.

Just saying – may be a good idea to delete the sub messages too (first) when your going to do that.

Sorta makes the replies we’ve posted look weirdly out of place.

Join the Facebook Group: Carey Price Is ALL HART in 2010/2011!.

3. in habs we trust says:

Just wanted to say I still have no idea how to read all the comments. I would spend hours on here now I spend less the 30 minutes a day, I try reading the TSN comments but there is so much habs bashing.I guess i will have to wait for one of the kids or my grandson to come over show what need to do.

4. CHsam says:

Whew. Scrolled down for half a minute. Hey Stubbs, any way we can have recent comments come up first on the Mobile site? The way this is going, I’ll be scrolling down for 5 minutes during playoffs

5. observer says:

Habs have won 9 of the last 11 meetings with the Bruins.

6. otter649 says:

Rumour has it that Daniel Sedin’s new baby looks alot like Henrik Sedin (Thanks to Dutchy of TSN)………

7. CHsam says:

You can fake alotta things in life, but I think faking a neck fracture might be pretty hard to do.

• DearyLeary says:

I think the rationalization was that it was ‘reported’ as having a neck fracture. As if, somehow, the Montreal media exaggerated the seriousness of Max’s injury. As if the Doctors were falsifying their diagnosis to vilify the Bruins.

Any way you put it, Boston fans are absolute morons.

• fbkj says:

troll harder

btw concussions arent black and white as you are presenting it, kudos for not being able to formulate your own opinion and jumping on recchi’s words, btw when he apologizes, will you too?

8. alexander54 says:

let the bruin scabfans troll this site, they have nothing but goon thugs who cant keep up with habs speed. thomas should stay home tomorrow night. chara better keep his head up. also they will try and goon it with P.K. officials better keep eyeballs on the scabthugs.

9. joeybarrie says:

BEST ARTICLE EVER…….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

10. otter649 says:

Mark Recchi got sucked in by the radio hosts to say Montreal tried to Chara suspended by embelishing MaxPac injury etc – Recchi can not be that stupid or naive……..

11. RiverviewCanadien says:

What!

How dare Price take a day off and rest! He let in 1 goal last night, on a tip-in from a player that is smaller than any of our own smurfs.

Price should be disappointed in last night and his season so far, I know I would be if I had his numbers:
    1st in wins.
    2nd in SO (unacceptable), then it really drops off.
    7th in SV%
    9th in GAA

Big whoop if Price is tied for the most games played. He should be playing all 82. Weak…

How dare Price take a day off

12. alexander54 says:

that peice of trash dare say that max’s injury was faked. the league is a joke. bettman, and campbell need to pull their heads out of their ass’s. cooke gets 10 games+firstround of the playoffs for a glancing blow and the guy has no ill effects just perfectly fine. yet that bigfoot can steer max’s head into the stantion and gets a hand shake from campbells no. 2 guy. go figure. im confussed

13. king ddd says:

guys why am i not able to put an avatar

** Buck Fruins **

14. You can tell we’re in the Bruins’ heads when their fans are over here with feeble trolling attempts and their players are talking to the media instead of working on the ice. Ho-hum, another shellacking of the Bruins tomorrow I’d wager.

15. king ddd says:

recchi is just pissed at habs cause we didnt offer him the captaincy and gave it to captain k instead

** Buck Fruins **

• observer says:

One of the worst trades Habs ever made sending LeClair and Desjardins to Philly for Recchi and 2 other nothing specials.

• fbkj says:

at the time it was desjardins and a few nothing specials for recchi and 2 nothing specials, many pundits thought the habs won that one at first glance, nobody knew what would happen with leclair

• VancouverHab says:

HA! The problem was that LeClair was getting the Gomez treatment. He was having a low year production-wise and was being sniped and bitched at by the many shortsighted.

“Nobody”? Quite a few Hab fans hated the trade as I recall, and the Bruins didn’t give Recchi up for a Michael Ryder. Marmaduke was a stud, and played HUGE in the Stanley Cup win. Desjardins likewise

Every time LeClair came back for years afterward he killed us.

• fbkj says:

leclair was huge that year BUT thats the only time he ever really made any noise, of course hindsight paints it as a horrible trade but recchi, when we traded for him, was coming off a year in which he set the record for most points in a season by a flyer (a record btw, that still stands to this day)

so obviously hindsight, it sucks… it payed immediate dividends for the flyers in ways few saw comming, but, thats what it took to aquire recchi at the time… for the reasons i stated

This article was on the old HIO two weeks ago or so. A couple people ask if I would put it up again here.

This research that I funded on my own, started on my ranch in 1980.

What is a concussion, as comprehended and explained by myself.

I have been involved as a lay person with research pertaining to neurology at a major medical university.

I have picked up a lot of information working first with veterinarian pathologists when I was doing research on my fox and mink ranch.

And I have been involved lately with the neurology research dept from a major medical university.

Pertaining to concussion,

I will try to explain, the best that I can, what happens to the brain cells that have been concussed inside the skull. And why one must stay completely resting after a concussion.

The very soft brain cells, when violently thrown against the skull, are damaged and the neuron releases a potassium chemical out of the brain cell. Leaving a void.

Calcium that is already present around the outside of the cells, seeps into the cells replacing the potassium. This calcium is what gives the chemical imbalance to the brain and is what causes the damage.

Until all of this calcium leaves the brain cells completely, and it can take a long time, depending on how much calcium was taken on each cell. The patient is left extremely vulnerable to instant death upon a second bump, or at least permanent brain damage.

Even a hard coughing spell or light exercise can cause severe pain and damage. Complete rest is needed.

These damaged cells have to be cleared completely of this calcium before one can resume activity to avoid more serious consequences including death.

This is very acute in young people under the age of 24 as the brain is still growing and developing.

Please, coaches and parents know this, every contact to the head can cause some cells to expel potassium and take on calcium. A second, even slight bump, with the cells still containing calcium, can be even more deadly.

Ian Cobb

• LA Loyalist says:

Well thank you Ian for a great explanation. I’m thinking of getting my kid the new Mark Messier helmet – anyone have helmet recommendations?

17. Bill J says:

Recchi is a Dolt…. went from respected for the memories I had of him to just another ‘Ruins player.

Join the Facebook Group: Carey Price Is ALL HART in 2010/2011!.

• goat_007 says:

I agree 110%. I have always loved Recchi but he just became another bruin that pisses me off.

HIO has change my life, I think for the better but my boss may disagree! Go Habs GO!

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Mark Recchi… WHY oh WHY do players continue to think they’re medical experts because they’ve been hit in the head too often?

Classless remarks.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

19. filincal says:

I didnt realize you needed a labotomy to go play for the Bruins.

20. DearyLeary says:

Maybe I glossed over the interview, but I didn’t hear anything that Recchi said that was that bad. He was pretty much baited into saying anything inflammatory by those Neanderthals trying to pass for radio hosts.

Seriously, how does such a stupid city have so many prestigious universities? They’re borderline retarded…

21. alexander54 says:

went to youtube and saw a bench clearing brawl break out between bruins and habs early 70’s in boston. sanderson got in to a fight with roberto and cops on the habs bench then the fans got involved with the habs. i was at habs bruins game in 76 and the scab fans harrased us and security justed watched. no class then no class now they will never change.

22. slapshot777 says:

By listening to Recchi’s comments I’d say he must have had a few concussions to make a bone head statement like that. I guess the fractured bone in Max’s next was fake as well. Just plain stupid on Recchi’s mentality. I guess it just goes to show how ignorant some people really can be.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

23. naweed235 says:

How did Chara ever fit in the short bus to school?

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Remember that Recchi is retiring at the end of the season.

Perhaps his idiotic comments are a kind of audition for Hockey Night in Canada?

Although he may have overdone it. That was Sportsnet grade stupidity.

25. alexander54 says:

yes rjb what did that brain dead recchi say. cmon spill it.

26. idle says:

At a time when there is so much ongoing discussion about the long term effects of concussions and head injuries in sports it’s hard to believe that anyone would consider any concussion to be an ‘embellishement’

I don’t remember Recchi being that much of a fool when he was in Montreal?

27. Mothstoflame says:

really getting sick of tsn just hyping it all up, thomas looked like a fool with his mustache trying to justify chara doing nothing wrong. It was an Interference penalty that resulted in a severe injury, justifying a suspension. If you high stick somebody and injury them is it not a 4 minute double minor or at the refs discretion 5. cammy got two games for a slash to a leg. We will never know if chara meant this, only he knows. I think he did not intent this, but nonetheless it was a play that warrants a penatly and we lost a player because of the play. Its over and done with, we do not need to fight boston, i Just get a kick out of them saying we are the instigators but yet, if you see our fighting majors, there Far and few between, until we play boston…

28. Man Dingga says:

From TSN: Earlier Tuesday, all-time goaltending wins leader Martin Brodeur told Radio-Canada that Price was his pick to win the Vezina Trophy. The New Jersey Devils said Price’s consistent play despite a heavy workload and the wins he posted despite several injuries to Montreal’s defence made him “the best goaltender this season.”

A little off topic but I thought I’d share this.

29. punkster says:

Between the angst over the Bruins game tomorrow and the angst over Gomez and Cammy not producing up to expectation this place is one giant cluster****.
    Here’s my take, for what it’s worth:
    – Tomorrow is not going to be a slug fest, it’s not going to be any more dirty than any other Habs/Bruins tilt and it’s not going to make a damn bit of difference whether we win or lose it. We own the Bruins. PERIOD.
    – There isn’t a damn thing we can do about the lack of points being produced by our top players…nothing, zilch, zippo, nada…so I’m going to continue to enjoy the games and look forward to the playoffs. Over a month ago I commented a few times that I’d be just as happy facing Philly as Boston or anyone else in the first round. Get it out of the way, short and sweet or surprising upset, whatever. We’re another season or two out from being a serious contender so nothing they do now either shocks or disappoints me.

It’s a game. It’s not real life and the outcome doesn’t affect my life or yours in any appreciable way. It’s a freakin’ game!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• punkster says:

Sorry about the bold…haven’t got the hang of this yet.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Timo says:

“It’s a freaking game”…

then why you get so excited? ;)

• punkster says:

Because it’s a game. The games are fun, exciting, frustrating, maddening all at the same time. But it’s still a game and the outcome never, ever affects my life. I don’t give the games much priority in my life, win or lose. They’re entertainment, that’s it. Nice when we win, sucks when we lose, over and out.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Timo says:

it is kind of presumptuous of you to think that it affects the life of others. I think for the most part folks experience a range of emotions during the game and in some cases for a day or two after, but I doubt it affects how they go on about living their lives. With exception of Boone perhaps who seems to be spending more and more time in his basement, but the rest of us I think are still focused on how to best get by not making on 8 mil/year.

• punkster says:

Mike, reviewing some of the comments on here today just got me going. I wanted to present an overly dramatic counterpoint to the overly dramatic views I read today. Mission accomplished ;)

As to getting by on less than $8M per annum, I will not give up my rounds of golf even if that puts me in debtors’ prison. After all, it’s only a freakin’ game!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

30. samTHEman says:

The following are Chara’s words, taken from NHL.com article

“(The Canadiens) have a lot of skill and speed up front, and they’re very good system-wise. It’s tough to play against teams like that. You have to be in control. It’s part of the game to be emotional and play with a lot of jump, but you have to keep a lot of it bottled up and not let emotions take over your game.”

Really? REALLY??? bottled up?

Going after Max after the game is over? That’s bottling up your emotions?

Trying to take advantage of a scramble behind Price after a blown whistle to jump Max?

Third time is a charm though huh Mr. Chara? We all know how that one ended.

31. alexander54 says:

as much as i despise the scabruins the habs don’t have to lower them selves to their level. the one thing habs have the scabs don’t is class. i just want the habs to show up blast that biscuit past thomas 5-6 times

32. RJB says:

Anybody else feel stupider after hearing what Recchi had to say today? I mean, I shouldn’t be surprised by the comment but it’s easily the dumbest hockey quote I’ve heard in a long time. What a classless old windbag. Really infuriates me that someone has the nerve to say that.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

33. habsonly says:

Habs need to focus on their game, outskate the Goons and not try to out hit them. If we play like we did in the last game in Montreal we have a better chance to silence the crowd or is it the mob. Physical play is intimidating but speed kills!

I would be happy to come out of this game without anymore injuries and beat them where it really counts, the score board. GO HABS GO!

34. chilli says:

Gainey’s master plan was to get all 3 here. He hoped Gomez and Gio would click – it was the right move, that hasn’t paid off. Every other free agent said “no” to Montreal. And if you haven’t figured it out yet, Montreal needs to overpay for players – – why? because they don’t really want to play there. That’s just a fact. For a number of reasons, the highest one being the taxes.
    Once in Montreal, they do like it – but they need to be paid.
    Now, not as overpaid as Gomez, but that wasn’t our contract. It was the right choice that hasn’t worked out. There was a chance the reunion would have worked. Gomez does 2 things right (out of 6). He works hard and he carries the puck out of our zone. Where he sucks is that last pass, that last shot (just a terrible shot) and loses every battle along the boards and most faceoffs….
    I’m not defending the guy – so relax people – I’m just defending Gainey slightly.
    For all you idiots that were crying about not getting Penner or Kovalev at trade deadline… I live in LA and watch every Kings game. Penner sucks. 2 goals in 10 games playing with Kopitar. As for Kovalev, love the guy, but he’s done. 1 g and 1 A in 11 games. Yes, that’s worth a 7th rounder.
    Gainey brought us Price – enough said – and i have agreed with every single Gauthier move to date.
    Stop asking stupid questions like LeCave for Gomez…. please.
    And speaking of worst contracts in hockey – look no further than DiPietro, Yashin (NY 4.7 mil and will be paying him til 2014) and that Russian kid in NJ.

Tre

• Ian Cobb says:

Good post Chilli, Bob did a great job rebuilding the scouting dept, and the whole organisation. Now with Gauthier at the helm, we are back in the saddle again after many many years of inferior management and coaching. A lot of players are drooling to come to this organisation now.!

• B says:

From what I recall, Gainey offered Kovalev a contract but when Kovalev’s camp got greedy and tried to negotiate for a longer deal, Gainey pulled the offer and gave the $5M to Gionta instead.

I also recall that Gomez was also a plan B (or C…) after Gainey’s failed attempts to land Lecavalier or another big center.

I got the impression Gainey was determined to do something and make big changes, but rather than just targeting and sticking with a specific player(s) and coming up short like he had in previous seasons, he kept his options open and flexible. I don’t believe that Gomez and Gionta were his first choices or “master plan” but rather what he ended up with after all the dust settled.

35. habsfannfld says:

It actually amazes me how many people here believe that Gomez is good. If we could all agree he was crap, i could get over it. But when I come on here and people are talking about how good he is, it drives me insane. I understand everyone has an opinion, but some people talk about how good this guy is, and how much he does for us, when in reality, he has 35 points. Then they blame Cammy and Gionta, who both have more points than Gomez. I actually cheer for this guy, like any other player, and i wish he would do something to prove me wrong. I keep waiting, and nothing ever happens. When this guy has 0 pts, 1 shot on goal, and goes 50% in the faceoff circle, we have people celebrating like he just had a 4 point night. Another thing that really gets to me is that this guy seems to get a free pass from the media. This is Montreal, and it’s supposed to be the hardest place in the NHL to play, because of the media/fans. The same media/fans who were all over Price last year when he was struggling. When was the last time you saw a reporter stick a mic in his face and say “how does it feel to be making a million per goal?”. It astonishes me that this goes on.

• mamacat says:

probably because Gomez will simply reply: “how does it feel to be a stupid face”

• Ian Cobb says:

It also drives me nuts when all people talk about is how many points Gomez has. There is one hell of a lot more to winning hockey than the guy who puts in the goal. But if that is all you see in the game, so be it.

• habsfannfld says:

I agree Ian, there’s plenty more to hockey than that. Which is why Josh Gorges, a player who produces almost 0 offence is one of my favorite Canadiens. Gomez was brought in here to produce offence and be a top 2 center. With that comes the expectation of producing points. But if you want to talk about the other side of the game, he’s a -14 and less than 50% in the faceoff circle. The rest of his linemates this season (Gio, Cammy,Moen,Patches,Kostitsyn) are all plus players, except for Moen who is -1. Plekanec our other top line center who plays against the top line every night is +14. I can look at the game any way you want. It all comes back to him stinking the place up

• shiram says:

How about every time he gains the offencive zone, and stops right at the Assante ad on the boards and try to make a pass, that usually does not make it to its destination?
        I have defended Gomez before, but I don’t see how anyone could deny he is having his worst season, that he is a liability on defence, and that his play affects his winger negatively.
        Only the super-human Paciorrety was able to shine aligned with Gomez.

• J_P says:

Well said. I just dont get people.

People come on here saying that he played a good game last night. The guy is being paid $7.3 million to generate offense, and he was brought here to be our top-line center. How awful is a player when not being a minus player on the night means the player had a good game?

I don’t even come on here and just bash him because its an exercise in futility, but I am absolutely appauled when people come here and say he’s playing great and how much he does for this team.

• joeybarrie says:

I think a big problem of people is that they directly attach a players salary to his goal production. I can’t remember how many posts I saw about paying players like Gill, Moen, Halpern, Pyatt, and more was a waste. Every team needs players who play a different function in the overall team. In Montreal we expect every player to have 30 or more goals. If they do not, we do not have much use for them.
      Try to remember while YES Gomez does not have anywhere near the points he should have, the Habs are doing well. They have been moving uphill since his arrival and have done so with key injuries. Gomez has had as much ice time as any other forward on this team, and is clearly a big peice of our pie. While his goal scoring is not great, you cannot argue with the fact that we have only won 1 game while he was not in the lineup in the last 2 seasons, and when we have been most successful, he was the player who set up the goals the most.
      By the way, Cammi has had just as poor production as Gomez has, and Gio is getting only goals. Yet Gio and Cammi actually get the pass, cause Gomez’ salary is so ridiculous.
      Gomez is good. He has STANLEY CUP WINNING experience, and has lead his teams in points (top two) for almost his entire career. He has a terrible contract, but there were not many options available and simply doing nothing didn’t get us anywhere.
      No one would care about Gomez’ contract if our team were leading the league, and our team is capable of doing exactly that with a 100% healthy roster.
      What actually amazes me is that people who think they know so much about hockey, simply think Gomez sucks just because of his contract. If his salary was not known, it would be a completely different story.
      To me you have a salary cap. You can only spend X on a function of players. Some will be overpaid, some will be underpaid, and some will produce to their salary. Every team in the NHL, every company in the entire world. It’s what you do with that ENTIRE team that matters, and bashing individuals based on their salary makes no sense to me.
      By the way, take a look at where Scott Gomez is ALL TIME in assists in the history of the NHL. He is on pace to be in the top ten. So it is doubtful people will see his name next to Ron Francis, Coffey, Oates and Yzerman that they will think Gomez is a crappy player.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• habsfannfld says:

While Gomez’ contract does bother me, that’s not why I’m pointing this out. If he was making 4 million I’d still think he was crappy. Also in his first 11 seasons, Gomez has 505 assists. He might play another 7-9 years. He needs another 528 assists to break into the top 10 all time. If you think he’s going to start producing above his career average for the next 7-9 years in the latter stages of his career, you’re nuts.

36. Malreg says:

Marc Recchi used to be my favorite Canadien as a kid. He’s the reason why I always wore #8. I remember waiting in the parking garage for 3 hours after a game just to get his autograph.

Reading something like this just ruins the image of a boyhood idol:

@MurphysLaw74: Mark Recchi on @985TheSportsHub agreed with Michael Felger that Habs “embellished” Pacioretty’s injury to get Chara suspended.

• Timo says:

That is why I always stayed away from “idolizing” hockey players. Come on, they are hockey players… all they did their entire life is push a piece of rubber with a piece of wood. That is it. Not much else is there.

It is almost same as idolizing musicians.

I prefer to like music or a play but not care as much for the individual who produces it.

Just moi though.

• Mark C says:

I heard this too. Can someone ask Dr. Recchi and Dr. Felger what is wrong with Max then? If his injuries are embellished shouldn’t he be back on the ice? If he didn’t have a concussion or a non-displace fracture, why isn’t he at least working out?

• Mats26 says:

‘RUINS is right!

37. The Price Is Right says:

As much as Gomez frustrates me and as bad as his contract is. We have to remember that if Gainey didn’t trade for Gomez, we wouldn’t have Gionta and we probably wouldn’t have Cammalleri either.

• naweed235 says:

I dont understand Why ppl keep on saying that… What the hell did Camalerri ever have to do with Gomez? Gionta maybe but I even doubt that

• shiram says:

Besides, Gio is captain, and Cammy says he likes it here. No reason to keep Gomez around… right?
        We do lack a true second line center, DD and Eller are not up to par yet, Gomez is having his worst season of his carreer, and has not really shown any sign of improving. We are stuck with him for now, and we can hope that some team might want him to hit the cap floor in a season or two.

• Kooch7800 says:

DD is doing just fine as a third line Centre. He is playing a heck of a lot better than Eller in my opinion.
          Plek’s is our number one

• shiram says:

So that’s a first line center (Pleks), a third(DD) and a fourth (Eller), right? Still missing that elusive second line center.

• Malreg says:

Because do you really think that any free agent wingers would have signed here when the only scoring center on the team was Plekanec, who was coming off a 39 point season?

• Timo says:

Cammi signed here because he was offered more by the Habs than anybody else. He has done nothing this year. The argument that because of Gomez other presumably good players signed here is just ridiculous.

• Bill J says:

Yeah I’m sure Cammy also wanted to pay more in tax’s too eh ?

Can’t reply to your reply – no I do not think Gomez was “THE” only reason, but your statement that said that Cammalleri went where he was paid the most is not a valid point seeing as Montreal players pay quite a bit more in tax’s meaning they make quite a bit less then it appears. As far as “how appealing Gomez is?” He was plenty more appealing then Gainey NOT having a #1 center to play with (remember how many points Pleks had in the previous season – I believe someone else pointed it out at 39 points)

The ultimate point is, no one can truly say one way or the other – but history has shown a team with NOTHING to begin with, has a much harder time of landing the Elite Free Agents. And Cammalleri that July 1st – was THE Elite talent in the forward position.

Join the Facebook Group: Carey Price Is ALL HART in 2010/2011!.

• Timo says:

So you really think Gomez was the reason? So Cammi is sitting at home, weighing his options then he hears that Gomez signed in Mtl. Boom, that’s it, says Cammi. That’s the deal breaker. Gomez is a winner (Rags got rid off him cause they’re stupid)… Montreal is guaranteed the Cup so that is where I am going to sign. Nothing to do with 6 mil he got offered, after all, money is nothing…

• The Price Is Right says:

Agree with you 100%.

• The Price Is Right says:

It’s true. Cammalleri said something along the lines of when he signed, the main reasons were the fan base and the Gomez trade. Said it looked like the Canadiens meant business. As for Gionta, zero percent chance he signs with the habs if Gomez wasn’t acquired. Hell he would probably be a Devil still.

• rob_c says:

EVEN if you are right and we didn’t have Gionta and Cammy We would have another 11 MILLLION!!!! sitting there to spend. Its not like wed have Drury and Horcoff, I don’t like that argument.So by getting Gomez we are lucky that we have almost 19 MILLION dollars tied up a year for the next 5 years on Gomez, Cammy, Gionta. We are so lucky!

• The Price Is Right says:

Yeah they would have a ton of money. But, who would they sign. As shown in recent years other than the Gomez year, the habs have had a terrible time persuading players to come play for them. Don’t get me wrong, I hate having Gomez on the team. I think he has become very useless, especially with the rise in play of Deharnais and Eller, but I still stand pat that our team would look very different if we didn’t get him. Personal opinion, in this case different would be bad.

• Bugs says:

Give a guy 6 million dollars, he’ll go anywhere you tell him.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

• Kooch7800 says:

Gionta came cause of the 5 million dollars not Gomez. NJ wouldn’t match it so it was a no brainer. I think Gomez was just a bonus.

Cammy also came for the cash. Pretty sweet deal for 6 mill considering what Plek’s got.

regardless it doesn’t matter this is our team for the forseable future. Gomez isn’t leaving and neither is Gio and Cammy. We will be fine but we are few key players short of a contendar

• VancouverHab says:

We also have to remember that without Gomez this season we would be out of the playoffs.

Gomez’s low points totals act on many here — the journalists included — like bright shiny objects on the simple minded–they produce an idiotic fixation which blinds them to everything else around.

Nearly all veteran players–great, good and the rest–have a low-scoring slump season at about the decade mark of their career. But only here in the Home for the Criminally Self-Righteous with a Liquor License (otherwise known as H-I/O) do fans and journalists junp up and down holding their breath blue in the face screaming “Gomez has no points! Gomez has no points!” Eeek!!!

Meanwhile Gomez does the heavy lifting along with Pleks against the opposition’s top lines that gives strength to the team.

NEWSFLASH: There’s more tangibles to effectiveness than scoring.

Sheesh.

• J_P says:

Gionta had $25 million reasons to come here and Cammy had $30 million reasons. Gomez had nothing to do with it.

The dollar amounts and term that they got are WAY beyond generous.

If Cammy signed here for $4 M/season, and Gionta for $3.5M/season, I could somewhat believe your statement.

38. Bugs says:

Oh, you’ll like this: http://www.nesn.com/2011/03/top-10-ways-bruins-can-beat-canadiens-without-resorting-to-fighting.html
    They actually FOUND ten ways?

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

• naweed235 says:

hard to believe this was written by a journalist… SOOOO CLASSLESS

• Bugs says:

10. Thornton should score
      9. Bruins to capitalize on pp
      8. Hnidy’s “presence”
      7. Krejci should FIGHT (swear to gosh)
      6. bear mascot to stare down the Hab bench
      5. use the Looch a lot
      4. keep puck out of own net
      3. make Habs fly US Airlines so luggage can be lost
      2. encourage Chara to roam all over ice
      1. try harder to win against Habs like Buffaler did last night

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

39. rob_c says:

I’d hate Gomez even if we DIDNT have a salary cap. I gave him 72 chances this year so far, he’s failed miserably 71 of them. Anyone see on TSN when they said his contract is the worst post lockout.. thats saying something… there has been a few REAL bad ones. I’d have to agree though. He’s terrible, he skates like the wind, but its errant pass after errant pass, I can’t take much more of it. The fact that we have a salary cap magnifies the Gomez problem. I’m not joking when I say I include Gomez towards the end of my prayers. Its not his health or lack there of Im praying for either….

Gainey why Gomez? seriously.

• B says:

Lecavalier’s contract is worse and Dury’s is close on the stinker scale.

• habsfannfld says:

I’ll take Vinny over Gomer anyday. Let’s offer Gomez for Vinny in the off-season, and see what kind of response we get from Stevie Y. I bet it would be something along the lines of “you’re joking, right?” Vinny would be a 100% upgrade on him

• Bill says:

I would trade Gomez for Lecavalier in a heartbeat. Think Yzerman would? Answer honestly.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mark C says:

Vinny’s contract lasts six years longer than Gomez. I know Gomez has stunk this year, but at least his deal ends.

• shiram says:

Kinda sucks that the best thing we can think of about Gomez is that his contract will end ina few seasons, and that we might be able to offload him once his salary his lower than his actual cap hit.

• B says:

I would prefer Lecavalier the player over Gomez the player, but contract wise however, Lecavalier has 9 more seasons on his over inflated horrible contract while Gomez has only 3 left on his. Ouch!

• J_P says:

Maybe I would, but I would have to think about it. I wouldn’t say its a no-brainer considering the term of lecavaliers deal vs. the term left on gomez’ deal. Lecav is signed through the 2020 season at $7.7M! That’s a lot.

• Habfan4lfe says:

While I agree, Lecavalier at least has 19 goals and 23 assists, more than I can say for Gomez, a pitiful 7 goals and Gomez played 20 more games than Lecavalier so far!

• Habfan4lfe says:

I’ve been hoping for him to get injured, as horrible as that sounds. He is definitely not worth his salary. What Gainey was thinking when he got him is beyond me. He is by far the worst on the ice.

• rob_c says:

haha, man you just made me laugh. Personally I haven’t been praying he gets injured, just take up crab fishing or something, anything. Montreal DOESNT score when he’s on the ice, and he gets what… 20 minutes of ice per game? Its a joke brother, MTL has the other 40 minutes to make something happen, thats assuming that Gomez isn’t a minus on the night like he is most. If he doesn’t find a way to up his level of play were doomed. How did this guy have 80 point seasons….. You could play him with Ovechkin and Ovechkins numbers would dip guaranteed! Gomez might be good in the locker room but he’s a cancer on the ice!

• J_P says:

My favorite two argument’s that gomez apologists use are that he makes things happen on the ice, and he’s good defensively.

The guy is averaging only one assist for every 2.5 games played, and is minus-14!

Now, I know that stats can be misused to prove a point, but there is no stat that you can possibly find that will make gomez seem useful in any way, shape, or form, and especially not when you bring his salary into the equation!

40. notbigbird says:

Article about Komisarek with some wisdom from Carbo.

41. habss1 says:

Scotty, what have u done for me lately? Where has your hockey game gone?

42. rob_c says:

Once healthy why doesn’t Martin try playing the Pleks line against the other teams 2nd/3rd/4th lines instead of their first on a more constant basis. Give him and Cammy an opportunity to play more on the other side of the ice. Overall, I’m fairly confident in most of the forwards defensive play, I don’t see it making that much of a difference. I agree with Playing Gill, and Subban as shut down guys… I wouldn’t change a thing there.

Another thought. I understand our losses of injury to Gorges, Markov, and Max Pac are HUGE to this team, but the loss of Sopel, and Spacek… I haven’t been impressed with either of them from game 1 of the season in Spacek’s case, to game 1 with the habs onwards with Sopel. Assuming we head into the playoffs with both of them and assuming we play Boston who would you guys play, and who would you sit?

It bothers me that the only 3 defenseman currently I have any faith in are Subban, Gill, and Hamrlik.

Do any of you really feel comfortable on the D side of things with Mara, Sopel, Wiz, Spacek, Picard, and Weber out there…. I know I don’t.

43. It seems as though the Habs should be a-ok in the playoffs. Why? Because more often than not, they lose to bad teams, and usually BEAT teams that are supposedly “better”.

There ARE no bad teams in the postseason. Therefore…

44. joshua94k says:

Tomas Plekanec will play vs the Bruins. That’s CJAD’s Sergio Momesso’s scoop du jour ahead of his bowl of clam chowder in Boston.

Carey Price was given a therapy day, while Plekanec, Jeff Halpern, Mathieu Darche and Brent Sopel joined their Canadiens’ teammates for a full practice at the “Fishbowl” in Brossard.

Habs’ Coach Jacques Martin said earlier that he hoped to have the four players back from their injuries and in the lineup …

45. Say Ash says:

lol

NESN:
    “dave said…
    I think it’ll only be a matter of time before their AHL team without Markov, Georges, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Halpern and sopel (eqivalent to Chara, Seidenberg, Bergeron, Lucic , Kreijci and MCquaid) will hand our asses to us on the scoreboard and we’ll have no choice but to goon it up and send our bigger guys after their smurfs all game long and make it to a circus again…
    Also anyone thinking that winning against their depleted team tomorrow night is a huge deal isnt smarter than a bag of nails( which is the case with most of us here in Boston) … they already won the season series no matter what happens tomorrow”

• naweed235 says:

on the same note:

dave said…

Boston : the team who has a 7′ caveman (or a caveman’s pet gorilla) as a captain and face of the organization… nuff said

dave said in reply to dave…

Im surprised with the averge IQ that the Bruins have (brought down substantially with Lucic, Marchand and Chara’s IQs) they can lace up a complete team everynight… how do they actually find their way around the city?

Shep said in reply to dave…

Former Norris trophy winner, multiple hardest shot champion (2 records) multiple all-star, thanks for coming out.

We can have a player like him, or should we dip into the montreal starter kit? 1. Goatee, 2. Visor and 3. Turtleneck.
      Reply March 23, 2011 at 02:48 PM
      dave said in reply to Shep…

All real great accomplishments for that Species

et me know when Montreal gets a norris winner, they don’t hand out awards for diving, only in the olympics, Dave.
      Reply March 23, 2011 at 02:52 PM
      dave said in reply to Shep…

i think PK is well on his way… only difference is that he doesnt have to have the zoo keepers along with him to accept the award

dave said in reply to Nellie…

lol if u take the truth as an insult then good on ya… and I think u r confusing standing up for ur teammates with being a Gorilla whose tranquilizers are running low…

LOL

46. habs001 says:

i am not sure if it really makes a huge difference who we play in the first round and if we have home ice advantage..this edition of the habs can beat any of the teams who are in the playoffs right now and they can be beaten by them also…most games will be one goal games..the games will be like last night if we would have scored first i believe we would have won…this is why it would not suprise me if we beat a team 4 games to 0 or get beaten 4 games to 0..as the games could go down which team scores the key,lucky or fluke goal at the right time …i really dont think we would have an easier time playing the leafs,islanders vs bruins,pitts…

• Timo says:

Actually I agree. Habs have proved to blow games against the easiest opponent. The only team I still want to avoid is Philly. The rest … odds are equally the same for all of them.

47. naweed235 says:

Lol getting ugly on NESN …

dave said…

Reply March 23, 2011 at 02:44 PM
    Bruins Lick Balls said in reply to dave…

LOL, Chara is not compared to Subban, that’s for sure.
    Reply March 23, 2011 at 02:46 PM
    Neely Lover said in reply to Bruins Lick Balls…

Chara is not? learn how to speak English u dumb frog!
    Reply March 23, 2011 at 02:47 PM

dave said in reply to dave…

Reply March 23, 2011 at 02:47 PM
    Shep said in reply to dave…

Reply March 23, 2011 at 02:48 PM
    dave said in reply to Shep…

All real great accomplishments for that Species

48. DarthWade says:

I hope we play smart in Boston and don’t give in to their style of play and beat them. That will drive them and their fans nuts. They’re expecting us to come in and “get revenge” and if we play stupid we will lose. The best revenge is to beat them and show them up on their home ice.

That being said I do wonder if Mara will go after someone. If he goes after Chara, he’ll get one hell of a pop when he comes back to Montreal.

• Timo says:

I think that revenge thing (as far as separating Chara’s head from the rest of his grotesque body) is nothing but a wishful thinking. It was evident before the last game as well that Habs would not be trying to beat the crap out of Bruins (although White kinda did) but rather outplay them as they usually do. Tomorrow won’t be any different except we are running out of bodies to outplay anyone.

With Gomer and Cammi’s level of sucking reaching unheard of heights and the rest of the crew being either AHL’ers or candidates for the geriatric ward, it is difficult to expect a win tomorrow.

But… but… a win tomorrow will be so so so so so so freaking awesome.

49. Mikey_39 says:

I know a lot of people are expecting a lot of penalties and fights against the Bruins tomorrow, but I don’t think that will be the case. Just like earlier this season with Philadelphia, there’s a lot of hype, but I don’t expect a big brawl again.

Personally, I’d love nothing more than to see the Habs punish the bruins physically (as well as on the scoreboard) for the goonish crap they’ve pulled with us this season, but we just don’t have the guys to do it. However, I think it would be wise to send down Dawes and Engqvist, and call up a few of the tougher guys just in case things do get rowdy. We can’t afford to lose another top player on this team, so close to playoffs.

• habs365 says:

punish the Bruins Physically….are you for real….I’m a Habs fan and always will be….lets be real….Habs are no match for the Bruins Physically….Hockey wise….They’re as good or better….stick to hockey they can beat them….get physical….they’ll be bringing up some more Bulldogs……

• DarthWade says:

I don’t think Montreal should do anything but play smart. However, I am sure some players on the Bruins (and some pinhead fans there) are counting on us doing something so they can “put us in our place”.

If we get a lead, watch the goons come out.

50. j2c says:

I really hope we beat the Bruins tomorrow on the score board that is, because we surely will not beat them in the physical department.

51. wd40 says:

Couple new POLLS up on http://hiopolls.blogspot.com/ if you feel like it.

The Big Bad Broons and And the Crystal Balls says…

52. habsfannfld says:

While I’d like to see Chara get his on Thursday, i know it won’t happen. So I’ll settle for someone pounding that little weasel Marchand. Funny how P.K gets a bad rep for chirping during games, but this shmuck calls out an entire team in the media, and chirps all game, but nothing is said. I guess Don Cherry somehow did not pick up on that one. What a joke.

• Mark C says:

Did you see the shot he took at Matt Cooke the other day? I can’t believe the free ride this guy is getting from players and the media.

• Jocko says:

I recently watched a few clips of Chara and he tended to follow through with his forearms on hits. I am still perplexed at how Chara got off by ramming Max’s head in the stanchion…but that issue is done. Hope the habs can chase Thomas tomorrow and amybe someone rattles Lub**tch.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

53. rocketsglare says:

Key now for this team is to make time for the return of the injured
    while accumulating enough points to finish in 5-6th place which at this point looks more plausible given all the injuries the team has
    had to endure and absorb.

54. therealrocky says:

the habs are so depleted bruins fans have to be retarded to think that if they beat the habs tomorrow it’s a big win…. the habs already have the season series no matter what happens tomorrow night

55. heart4habs says:

I have a feeling that they both have a minor injury…

Cheer up Habs fans, they need our support!

56. Bugs says:

Whoever you are, Bruins Diehard, I salute you. That was a work of art.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

57. smiler2729 says:

The ‘vibe’ I get from the Habs in the last week is one of a confused team trying to deal with too many key injuries and too many young new faces adapting to ‘the system’.

Ever since MaxPac was almost murdered, the team has been spinning its wheels in an identity crisis. This could be a rough ride to the finish line if some regulars don’t come back.

The Desharnais and White types are one thing but Dawes, Palushaj, Engqvist and those types seem totally green and intimidated.

Or maybe not…

*Perfectly content as a HABS I/O member for 3 years 16 weeks… now forced here, grrrrrrr.

58. Mark C says:

Per the Dreger Report:

“Dan O’Halloran and Dan O’Rourke, two experienced and highly regarded referees have been assigned to the game, along with linesmen Derek Amell and Steve Barton, while Terry Gregson, the NHL’s director of officiating will be in Boston to supervise as well”.

The NHL is pulling out all the stops to make sure this game doesn’t turn into a doonybrook. Not sure about O’Rourke, but O’Halloran is one of the better refs around, and the Irish names will keep the Bruin fans from raising too much of a stink.

59. Bugs says:

The action has already started on NESN. Couldn’t help putting my two cents in. Think you’ll be proud of the effort.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

60. goat_007 says:

I was watching a Laughs game the other day and I was thinking, the leafs have a lot of no name guys i.e Tim Brent, Mike Brown, Joey Crabb. Then I realized that casual habs fans must be having an SOB of a time keeping up with this years changes.
    (if your reading this then you are not a casual habs fan lol)

They would be thinking who the hell is David Desharnais, Yanic Weber, Ryan White and Andre Envquist and didn’t they release Paul Mara. When did they get James Wiz and Sopel? Nigel Dawes? I thought he played for the Rangers! Where is that Markov guy or that Josh Gorges? What happened to that mouth piece Lapierre or that purse snatcher Ryan O’Byrne? Oh, and they probably would have no idea who our back up is. ALEX OLD? Is he good?

Just puts into perspective how tough and confusing this season has really been and it’s very impressive that the habs are, where they are. I am dedicated and read “Hockey” Inside Out every day and I sometimes lose track.

• wd40 says:

It’s funny you say that.. the other night during the shootout my wife turns to me and says.. “who the hell is Nigel Dawes?”. After he scored, of course, *instant* fan. I told her not to get too excited.

61. mike g says:

………..Scott Gomez.

62. Maksimir says:

Got this off the TSN website – prepping for tomorrow’s tilt against the Brooins:

“NHL commissioner Gary Bettman also met privately with Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli and Habs general manager Pierre Gauthier last week in Florida and made it clear to both that tomorrow’s game cannot digress into a gong show.”

I just wish for one moment that it was Commissioner Smurf’s head that goes into a stanchion.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“NHL commissioner Gary Bettman [...] made it clear to both that tomorrow’s game cannot digress into a gong show.”

Funny. On nhl.com prior to the last game the preview was fights fights and more fights.

63. Britton says:

Hey guys, know what pretty much the only thing about this site that bugs me now is? The fact theres no indication that a post is new.

• Fred D says:

Also: When we go to our own profile,there used to be a section marked “Recent Posts” that one could go to, to see if anyone had answered your comment. That option was very useful and saved a lot of time trying to remember where you posted. I don’t know if it’s elimination was intentional, but I miss it. Maybe a “User Comments Log” in the profile could be done?

64. Habby says:

For a short time we were in 5th place, slightly ahead of Washington. Today, Washington is 1 point back of the Flyers for 1st in the East. :(

I’m beginning to wonder if we’ll slip out of playoff contention. We’re 3 points ahead of the Rangers who’ve won 5 in a row. We’re 6 points ahead of Buffalo, and 9 ahead of the 9th place Canes. A losing streak could put us in 8th or 9th. I’m predicting we’ll give up 6th to the Rangers if both teams keep playing like they do. Maybe that’s a good thing because we won’t have to face the Bruins. Not that I think the Bruins are great but I don’t really want to lose the rest of our team to their “hockey plays”.

The drive for 25 is alive!

• joeybarrie says:

If we keep our pace, we will be in 5th or 6th. If we slow down 7th or 8th.
      We should be fine.
      Washington is playing some great hockey right now and is 9-1 in its last 10.
      Tampa is dying rigth now, and Philly and Boston have cooled lately. Washington has no other real competition in its division other than Tampa, and to me they have one strong line that produces everything.
      The Rangers will cool too, but I think it might be a bit too late to take both us and Tampa. I predict 5-3 for our last 8 games, but even if we go 4-4 NYR has to go 6-2 to beat us. AND Tampa is sliding. They have to play Carolina 3 times, and thats their key to making the playoffs, Carolina sweeps them the next 2 games and its looking very different for them.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Habby says:

Thanks for the reply.

I would love to see the Rangers cool off. And you’re totally right about TB, Washington, and those Flyers. Not sure about those Bruins. Though they’ve been losing and Chara’s getting booed everywhere we’ll have to see tomorrow. They did win their last one. Everyone below us was winning so I just got a bit worried. A 5-3 record would be great to see. The team’s been through a lot so I’m just happy to see they’re still in it.

The drive for 25 is alive!

65. Max_a_million says:

Picard couldn’t make a pass to save his life last night. It would help greatly to have Spacek back.

66. Max_a_million says:

Adding a profile pic is not very intuitive in this new system :-(

• thehabs21 says:

New system=poohhhhh

• joeybarrie says:

I don’t understand why its so hard for people. I had no problem. I went to gravatar made my profile and uploaded my picture. I set it as my current pic and made sure it had a G rating. Next time and everytime I log in, its there. Took about 4 minutes.
      Maybe different peoples connections are blocking certain things, I don’t know. In fact I had a much easier time loading it up to Gravatar than I did the first time to Inside Out directly.
      Maybe I got lucky.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Max_a_million says:

It’s probably not hard, but it isn’t very clear and I can’t look at my profile and begin to figure out where it should go. I work as a computer person, so it’s not as though I don’t do such things regularly.

Where and what is this gravatar business?

ooh I looked it up, and I don’t think I like the idea of the gravatar business. Not sure where you would hook it up here. I can live with the other changes, but the avatar one is not very good.

• joeybarrie says:

As HockeyInsideOut posted a few times they are using Gravatar for your AVATAR. go to http://www.gravatar.com to set up an account. Its a website that automatically posts your avatar with ANY affiliated site.
          I couldn’t figure that out either by the way. It took me a while to find out you had to go to Gravatar. Once I did, it was easy. FOR ME. I found sometimes these website do not always work the way you want them too. Especially when Yahoo, Google and Twittter have similar systems that can possibly block Gravatar.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Max_a_million says:

Yeah I would only want my hockey avatar for hockey.

Thanks I really do appreciate your help in this.

• LA Loyalist says:

Max I tried it on gravatar, thought it hadn’t worked, then logged out and back in and it worked. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you!

67. Aybara says:

What can you say really. The team lost 1-0 with an EN added on and missing 5 starters. It’s understandable that some games aren’t going to be wins with that kind of lineup. Especially given that two of those starters verging on 3 with the development of Pacioretty are 1st line elite for our team.

Hopefully this team can come together and pull out a win against the B’s on Thursday, but to get down on them for losing with their current lineup is foolish imo.

68. thehabs21 says:

WHERE IS THE POST GAME AUDIO IN THIS NEW HOCKEY INSIDE/OUT

CANT……HANDDLEEEEE……NOOOO…..AUUDIIOOOOO

69. joeybarrie says:

Last night our makeshift defence took alot of penalties which hurt our game. We were playing most of the game on the D and didn’t do a bad job of it. They only scored one goal, (empty netters don’t count to me) and most of our guys are injured.
    It takes its toll on us.
    Gomez had a good game, Gio couldnt score, but he is doing well so what can you do.
    half our team is AHL players. Guys playing minutes they shouldn’t, our #1 center is out and our number 1 scorer is not 100%.
    Not that difficult to play against us right now and the teams that NEED the point more than us and going to play harder. We need to make sure we even see the playoffs individually, and even if we kill ourselves, we can’t really do anything but step up one place or possibly 3rd.
    I think we know where we will stand in the playoffs, and hopefully we will be as healthy as possible.
    Focus on beating Boston, and coming out of the game injury free.
    I can say I am happy to see our young players getting their chance. Same with MaxPac spending this time in the NHL and then going back to the AHL to work on a few things to help get them better is great.
    Having Spach, Sopel, Pleks back will help alot too…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• J_P says:

I like most of your post, except…

Why did Gomez have a good game? Our team couldn’t muster any offense, our powerplay could barely generate a scoring chance, and gomez is a guy who was acquired to generate offense, and paid VERY handsomely to do so. Is the fact that he wasn’t a minus player what is considered to be a good game for him these days?

I guess i’ll just never understand.

• habsfannfld says:

This is what we as Habs fans, are now considering a good game from this guy. Sad isn’t it?

• joeybarrie says:

Gomez played well last night creating chances and killing our penalties. He went 8-5 on faceoffs and had 3 shots with 1 blocked. 2 takeaways and 0 giveaways. He set up Gionta for a team high 4 shots, and led the forwards in ice time. He wasn’t on the ice for either goal, and again, his production is a reflection of our goal scorers.
        Cammi and Gio are basically the only ones they need to watch out for and that makes it easy to stiffle them.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• habsfannfld says:

I`ll agree it was one of his better games of late, but still not anywhere near what he`s capable of, nor what we should expect of him

• joeybarrie says:

Martin’s system changes a players style of play. Especially when he needs Gomez and Cammi to play different roles. Such as Cammi on the PK.
            That being said, Gomez is capable of more, and I expected to get more from him. You are not wrong.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Icey Matt says:

If Gomez was playing well last night then where was he for the final face off in Buffalo zone where Desharnais took the face off and gomez was not even on the ice

My thoughts exactly.

• joeybarrie says:

Gomez can’t play 2-3 minutes straight. He needs breaks too.
            Maybe if we didn’t have to role 3 lines half full of AHL players we wouldn’t have to rely on him so heavily. And maybe he woulod have been on, and won that face off for us to create a chance. Problem is Gomez is not a goal scorer. He had plenty of passes last night, Gio and Cammi couldn’t cash them in. It happens. Buffalo is a pretty good team.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

70. Favorite Son says:

Gomez was actually pretty decent last night. He fed the puck nicely a few times to Gionta, but the latter can’t fill the net anymore. Yes I know he has 26 goals but he could/should be doing a lot better with the chances he’s gotten all year. His game is disappointing lately.

• nickster13 says:

Ill say this about that,
      At the NHL level, effort just doesnt cut it anymore, then we’d be the oilers of post-lockout era. And i dont think their fans are too happy with losing. So i expect Gomez to produce! Hes the breadwinner, so he should be the one manufacturing more points!

• G-Man says:

He can’t finish his passes. That’s what his wingers are supposed to do.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• habsfannfld says:

DD sets up more scoring chances per game than Gomez does per week

• G-Man says:

Don’t think so- DD plays against other 3rd and 4th liners from other teams. If he shines it’s because he is doing so against usually mediocre competition.
            Believing he is better than a veteran #1 center is kind of funny.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• habsfannfld says:

While I`m aware DD plays against weaker competition most of the time, he is also a rookie. A rookie who battles for the puck alot more than Gomez, even though he`s smaller.

You referring to Gomez as a number 1 center is what`s funny

• G-Man says:

He is a 24 year old rookie, not 19. You are seeing him at his best right now. Good enough to be a little better than 3rd liners on most teams. With Pleks out, Gomez is #1.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• habsfannfld says:

yes, so here is to pleks making a full and SPEEDY recovery

• Favorite Son says:

Yeah that makes sense and all, but I think it’s time to realize that Gomez isn’t a goal scorer. He’s more of a playmaker but in order for him to actually bank some assists, he’s going to need his wingers to score. See, we can say that Cammi and Gio suck because Gomez suck but we can also say the opposite…

But with Cammi, he wasn’t producing too much with Plek either, so what does that tell us?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya I have to admit that Gomez could use a bit more help. He does a decent job of moving through the neutral zone and keeping possession of the puck. Missing Pacioretty hurts him and Gionta isn’t converting on a lot of his set ups. Gomez needs to pick it up but he also needs a sniper!

• Goderichab says:

I’m reluctant to claim Gomez had a good game. When you earn that kinda loot, a lot more is expected…Of Gainey’s remodeling of the Habs, Gomez has consistently been a disappointment. IMHO

71. otter649 says:

RIP – Elizabeth Taylor…….

• Everlasting1 says:

Married 8 times..talk about dysfunctional.

——————————————————————-
      Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

I am surprised Cammi and Gomez are not taking more therapy days. After all they bust their butts every night. Or is it the ego they bust? Either way, they bust something and deserve more therapy.

• G-Man says:

you kill me, Timo

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• habsfannfld says:

Timo, I’m not as hard on Cammy as you, because I believe he is still legitimately not 100%. But he definitely needs to get going soon. If he can get back into good shape, we know he can start scoring in bunches and help this team big time in the playoffs. As for Gomer, i give up. Enough is enough. I can’t handle another 3 years of this guy.

• jimmy shaker says:

The 4 things that chap my arce about the team and this site are in no particular order….gomer because he just seems to drag the rest of his linemates down somehow, cammy for just being plain invisible out there night after night (why is he killing penalties) Hammer for just being a turnover, slow, useless D-man and the cursor on this site that always moves down 3 spots for some reason when you go to make a comment or a reply! Stop the insanity!

Shaker

• Timo says:

I think the cursor thing annoys me the most :)

• habsfannfld says:

If you think Hamrlik is one of this teams biggest problems (a 36 year old who plays 20+ mins a night, kills penalties and plays the PP) you should give your head a shake, shaker

• jimmy shaker says:

I do shake my head on a nightly basis at this guy and his just all around subpar abilities. Thankfully he will be cut loose at the end of the year and his money can go towards marky and gorges new deals. By playing the pp you mean never getting any shots through to the net and letting the puck get by him numerous times where then he has to take an interference penalty to stop the oncoming attacker or just get cleanly beaten for an all out breakaway, and his stellar job of fronting guys on the pk actually making carey work extra hard as he has to fight through two bodies to see the puck……yes hammer is great, hope he can stay around till he’s 40!

Shaker

• habsfannfld says:

yeah i must have missed all those breakaways and goals he caused last night. the reality is, that he is a very solid 4th or 5th D man on most teams, but he has to play #1-2 guy minutes because of injury. He’s 36, do you expect him to skate like Subban, and have a shot like Wiznewski?! The guy is battling every night, and playing a hell of a lot more minutes than he should have to. He went #1 overall for a reason, not because he is garbage. He’s getting up there in age, but he can still contribute to this team.

• jimmy shaker says:

Obviously I wasn’t speaking of last night’s game, sorry if I didn’t point that out, my take was more of an overall rant on his play or lack of it over the last couple of seasons. Yes, he used to be good, he was drafted 1st overall, but his time has come and gone, and a younger cheaper d-man would easily fill hammer’s skates at a fraction of the cap hit. This is his swan song, I wish him well, but good riddance too!!!

Shaker

• t1tan5 says:

Hammer? Seriously? IMO, he has been heroic performing a role that is well beyond his age and skill level. Ideally, he would be playing AT LEAST 3-5 minutes less per night and not playing in all situations. He has been a steady defenseman for us this year and I have no complaints regarding his overall play this season.

• jimmy shaker says:

Agree to disagree!

Shaker

• habsfannfld says:

Shaker, i’ll respond to you here, because I can’t above. Obviously, a younger, cheaper D man would be ideal. But that’s not the situation we’re in. Hamrlik has been put in this situation because of circumstance, so you can’t knock him for having to play all these minutes, and in every situation. This will be his last year as a Hab, but i don’t see how you can label him as a big problem, when he works so much harder than many other players on this team

• jimmy shaker says:

habsfanmfld….he got his big payout and contract when souray bolted, and am fine with that, much like gomez, sather payed him, end of story. In hindsight were both players worth their contracts when they signed them? No. But anyways, my beef is that he’s not good in any real area of the game. In my opinion he’s not strong/tough, isn’t a threat offensively and in his own zone isn’t effective either. I much rather sopel and mara and their nasty edge or ability to clear guys out of price’s way. Hammer, yes has had to fill in for marky and gorges and play more minutes than he should and I guess I can say he’s done decent to above average for the skates he needed to fill, but for your last point of him working harder than any other player, I disagree. Hammer should take a page out of Lidstrom’s book (yes, 2 very different levels of d-men) and work smarter not harder. I just see hammer as a very average d-man on this team, and won’t be sad to see him go.

Shaker

• G-Man says:

My cursor doesn’t move down 3 spota- Hamrlik is not the worst Dman for the Habs as you say, and Gomez can’t finish his own passes.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• joeybarrie says:

Hamr has helped this team this year with his great play over the season and has stepped it up with the injuries. He plays unbelievable numbers.
        Cammi isnt 100%, and Gomez had limited options right now (although that doesnt account for his season long low production)

Maybe a great solution would have been MAB huh???
        -7 and 0 points in his last 10 games. Helping his team to 2-4-4 in those games and quickly moving down the table. (if the Lightning keep it up they will be lucky to be in 8th at the end of the season)

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

73. HalifaxHabs says:

Queue the brilliant comments about how they no one should be given a day off because they didn’t win yesterday.

74. HabFanSince72 says:

Nah – Sabres will not advance past the first round.

They have very little.

Tight dull hockey with a rock solid keeper. Good enough for 8th. Not good enough to make waves in the playoffs.

75. Favorite Son says:

But that’s what they said about the Habs last year…If Halak can bring the Habs to the Eastern finals so can Miller.

76. RGM says:

Except that Miller doesn’t play with the Habs. ;)

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart