Price gets start in Toronto vs. Maple Leafs

Look for Carey Price to get the start in goal tomorrow night in Toronto vs. the Maple Leafs. Cristobal Huet, who has lost each of the five starts he’s made in Toronto, will be in goal Friday vs. Buffalo, and Price is expected to be in goal at the Bell Centre on Saturday vs. Boston.

The Canadiens have recalled Garth Murray from the Hamilton Bulldogs, but he must clear waivers again. If he’s claimed by another team, the Habs are on the hook for half of his $625,000 salary.

Steve Bégin is back from the charleyhorse that sidelined him vs. Ottawa, so forward Mikhail Grabovski and defenceman Josh Gorges will be healthy scratches tomorrow.

1. ClaytonM says:

I’d like to see a replay on alfredson’s goal. Looked like he got his stick under Koivu’s skate just before he got the shot off.

2. WindsorHab-10 says:

Stay away from the Aqua Valva. By the way, Raycroft is starting tomorrow.

3. Chuck says:

In anticipation of the return ot the Karma Scale: -3!

“Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

4. Chorske says:

I’m not sure how that would work. From a player’s perspective, it would smack of collusion among the owners. The whole point of waivers is to create a situation where owners must use their players or lose them- and to create some competition for good players that may be going unused. It creates an interesting dynamic in addition to trades and such. You lose a Hainsey, you gain a Begin, that kind of thing.

It’s also a way to guage the relative value of a player- if the player goes unclaimed, the team gains the advantage in salary negotiations. So imagine if the owners/GMs have a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ about not picking up players- this would be horribly unfair to those players.

I’d love to hear from someone who knows about these things about whether such unspoken agreements exist?

5. xeonus says:

It’s great news that Price gets his first start in this rivalry vs the leafs. Let’s hope he starts it off on the right foot.

We need to start winning some of these games. If only to stop Cole and Neale from their post game rant about how the Canadiens were “Checked to the ground!” in a 3-2 game where the winner was scored late in the third and all the leaf goals were either somewhat weak or fluky. Oh wait, CBC isn’t televising this game. Now that’s music to my ears.

6. krob1000 says:

Just a thought on the Murray recall.

Gainey is perhaps just attempting to clear cap space. There may have been no takers at the 600,000 price tag but if he can free up another 300,000 (if someone wants him at a discount) then why wouldn’t he. I could be completely wrong but I don’t think Murray is in the teams short or long term plans. There will be a significant deal made by this team this year and any extra cap space can only help improve that quality of player we can obtain. I see this move as an attempted salary dump. I think Garth Murray has more heart than 95 percent of the league I just believe he is a about ten years too late and the game has outgrown him. Again….just a thought.

7. Woah_Dana says:

This is great, but not surprising if you’ve seen the last couple of Montreal vs Laffs games.
    Time to try something new so that we don’t have to hide our faces upon entering the workplace Wednesday morning in hopes to dogde the “Leafs beat the Habs” remarks.

Huet is great, but there is some kind of spooky coincedence with the Leafs. It really is a mystery as to how we can cream the Canes 7-1 one night then surrender to the black sheep of the Canadian hockey teams later on.

It kills me!

GO HABS!

8. A_Habs_Blazer says:

Marc I think you’ve had a little too many double rums b/c you are sounding like a drunken laffs fan, the obnoxious kind that comes to the Bell Centre and pumps their biceps thinking we are scared in our own city. You drunken fool.

9. blnieder says:

The Habs are learning that it is a sixty minute game. Taking off 5 minutes cost the club 2 points and allowed other teams to close the gap in the standings.

The Habs must learn to continue their offensive prowess during the latter stages of games instead of going into a defensive shell. They say play your game, and kitty bar the door is not Les Canadiens forte. So maybe we should be a little more creative and play alot more offsenively in the oppositions zone. That way make the other team worry, not our Habs.

The laffs are poor defensively, therefore, exploit their weakness and we will win. Throw in two players deep and fore-check. Bring the defensemen forward and cover the middle of the rink. Lets use our speed effectively.

Get the two points, we are better than they are.

Bon Chance.

10. krob1000 says:

Considering the site’s newly stated and blatantly obvious guidelines does Marc True’s comment not qualify as offensive profanity !! I think maybe he sees a little too much blue on the site…..feels a little too comfortable.

Seriously though I do notice that at the bottom of the page (where you post) there is no red. I am not certain if you have future plans for the blue space on the right hand side but a little more Canadiens flavour near the bottom would be nice. I understand considering the amount of effort that has been put forth if this can’t be done …..would be nice though.

11. krob1000 says:

Hello Rightfully Righteous Hab Fans,

I actually missed the first 55 minutes of the game on Saturday (little guy had a hockey game) and got home in time to see Ottawa’s late game surge…….Newman. Thanks for the overviews as usual and thanks to the site administrators who seem to be going to great lengths to improve things. I see the print no longer bleeds to the right. I was a little scared today though as I kept getting a weird error message and couldn’t access the site………check that….I was a lot scared. I was afraid that our corporate filtering system was blocking out my favourite site….I see now it weasn’t just my computer.

The decision to start Price against the Leafs makes sense. Huet was a wall on Saturday by every account I have read but he does seem to have some kind of problem with the Leafs. The Saturday game is a back to back situation and ideal circumstance to play your backup. I am certain people will overhype the fact that he is starting two of three games but Huet is still the man so I am trying to take preventative action here.

That loss really was a heartbreaker as I have read that we played very well for two periods. It will be very interesting to see how the team bounces back from something like that. I personally feel as though the game was still a positive and a great lesson as to the focus and attention to detail (for the entire 60 min’s) required to compete with the Sens and Red Wings (who I believe to be in a class of their own this year). I saw the look of frustration on Carbo’s face at the end of the game and I couldn’t help wondering what his attitude was when he walked into that dressing room immediately following the loss.

The Neil goal was just a bouncing puck finding it’s way to Neil but to leave Alfredsson alone in the slot ……I dunno what happened there. I hope Guy did the smart thing (or what I wopuld have considered the smart thing) and remained calm and let the guys absorb what just happened. The lesson taught itself and any great blow ups or chewouts would not have been necessary. There were a lot of heads hanging and that is the last thing this team needs. They need confidence. To twice lose to the best team in hockey by one goal in their building is nothing to be ashamed of.

To blow a coverage assignment late in a one goal game is something that needs correction not reflection. It is a long season and the ability to remember details but forget results is going to be pivotal in the teams success. I still say we are one superstar/above average forward from being a legitimate contender this year….definitely next year but I still feel we have the ability to do some damage now….serious damage.

12. Habs_008 says:

Cant wait to see Price in Person, I have been to 3 hab games in my life, I have never seen Huet get a start in any of them,(only seen Theo) its exciting to see Price get it. I will be at the game 2morrow nite! I cant wait, the habs better show up, for some reason he havent played well against them this year. Lets hope the Price is right.

13. ZepFan2 says:

Great news.

Now we’ll see if Huet’s snake bit against the laffs, or is it the whole team.

14. A. Berke says:

good to see Price starting tomorrow.

how about Ryder? is he still in the first line?

Ali B.

15. Naila Jinnah says:

Thanks for the clarification!!

16. DYCSoccer17 says:

Good to see Price get a shot at the Laffs. Hopefully he will indeed play against Boston on Saturday. I’ll be back home for holiday from California (:

17. JF says:

No surprise that Price is getting the start against Toronto. For whatever reason, Huet does not play his best against them; he seems to have let them get into his head. We may not win with Price, but we certainly have nothing to lose.

I’m glad to see Garth Murray being called up in place of Grabovski. We need his grit and hard physical play against the Leafs. He’s not a talented player, but he gives everything he’s got.

18. saskhab says:

Nalia, re-entry waivers are at a 1/2 price discount. We lost Hainsey to re-entry to Columbus a couple years back, and were on the books for half his salary as a result. Last year when we got Leighton, we were only on the hook for half his salary… Anaheim had lost him earlier in the year due to re-entry waivers.

Murray was waived last week on “normal” waivers, and it would’ve cost a team that claimed him full price.

If someone thinks Murray can be a regular for them, they’d be dumb not to claim him now. He’d be on the books to their team at less than the league minimum. The Habs have cap space to lose him in this manner, but I do think it’s a case of Bégin’s charley horse.

19. kevin m says:

About waivers…

I’m sure that the general managers around the league have some sort of unwritten rule that applies to the practice of claiming players that have been sent down to the minors for conditioning after recovering from injuries.

I would think that they would communicate their intentions to the waiving team before acting, just to be sure that there was no other ulterior motive to the waiving than a conditioning stint.

If stabbing other teams in the back was a common practice, there would likely be many more relationships like the one between Burke & Lowe.

I suspect that Murray will be back in the lineup shortly. They could have used him against the Sens last Saturday.

Go Habs Go!!!!!

20. saskhab says:

How’s Bégin doing with that charley horse? Curious because of the Murray callup, which could just be a case of giving him a job with a different NHL team.

21. Naila Jinnah says:

I am so excited for Price to be in nets that I’m looking for tickets to Saturday’s game. That’s right, I’m considering spending an exorbitant sum of money just to see him kick ass – live! And while that probably won’t happen, it’s a nice thought 😛

As for Murray, I wonder why he’s back up, especially since Begin is “healthy”. Don’t get me wrong, I like the guy… And I understand the decision to keep Lapierre in Hamilton, since he’s been mostly invisible lately and the ‘Dogs need all the help they can get right now. Still, if Murray doesn’t get picked up on waivers (and if he didn’t on the way down, why would someone claim him on the way up? Unless this is a perfect scheme and Gainey knows of a team that wants Murray and therefore decided to call him up), then I hope he at least gets to play a few games.