Price gets Game 1 start for Team Canada; Boone will be blogging live

The Canadiens’ Carey Price will be in goal for Team Canada when it plays its first Olympic game in Sochi at noon Thursday ET against Norway.

The Vancouver Canucks’ Roberto Luongo will start the second game at noon Friday ET against Austria. Head coach Mike Babcock will then decide which goaltender will start the final preliminary-round game at noon ET Sunday against Finland.

HI/O’s Mike Boone will be part of a Postmedia News live blog during all of Team Canada’s games in Sochi, which you will be able to link to from the HI/O site.

“I was going to play one of them in (each of) the first two games,” Babcock told reporters in Sochi after announcing Price would start the first game. “If I had put Luongo in, you’d be asking me the same question.”

Price called getting the start a highlight of his career, telling reporters in Sochi: “I seem to have a lot in my young life so far. It definitely ranks up there.”

Said Luongo: “We’re all here to play for Team Canada, man. It’s not about one player. We’re all pulling the same rope.”

According to the expected Team Canada lineup published by The Canadian Press, the Canadiens’ P.K. Subban will be a healthy scratch Thursday against Norway, along with forward Matt Duchene.

Here is CP’s expected Team Canada lineup:

Jay Bouwmeester – Alex Pietrangelo
Seventh defenceman: Dan Hamhuis

Goalies
Carey Price – Roberto Luongo

Scratches
Matt Duchene, P.K. Subban

(Photo by Jean Levac/Postmedia News)

Price to start Olympic opener, Postmedia News

Canada vs. Norway preview, NHL.com

Canada beats U.S. 3-2 in women’s hockey, Postmedia News

All the latest Olympic hockey news, Postmedia News

1. CHicoHab says:

It’s great that Price and PK made team Canada. But it’s irrelevant who plays more or less. It’s Canada that I want to win. And if by chance or luck or skill that either of these 2 were directly to contribute in Canada’s success that would make it even more special. Cheers to Canada!!!!!!

2. B says:

Czech / Sweden game starts in a few minutes on Sportsnet One.

–Go Habs Go!–

3. Mike Boone says:

As a gesture of solidarity with Luongo and the lads, I think we should all be pulling the same rope.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

4. Thomas Le Fan says:

Some comments have me scratching my head. Not picking Subban for this team, considering he’s the reigning Norris winner, would be tantamount to not having the greatest scorer in history participate in a shootout. Put P.K. on with a ‘stay at home’ type dman and the larger ice surface is perfect for his game. No? Hopefully Babcock is no fool.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Luke says:

Not picking the reigning Norris trophy winner is not even in the same ballpark as leaving Gretzky on the bench.

A direct parallel would be: not picking the reigning Art Ross winner.

BUT if you look at it:

They did pick the Norris winner initially.
      They did not pick the Art Ross winner initially.

So this Anti-PK bias some people seem to think is at work here, should be trumped by the anti MSL bias that no one seems to be noticing.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

MSL is on the team with some afterthought. Norris, Richard (Russia has him) and Ross winner should all get a nod as far as I’m concerned. What the heck do these trophies connote if not excellence?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

Just confirming it is a team game right, it’s not like a band where the group is called PK and the afterthoughts, is it?

5. habsfan0 says:

Boone will be live blogging Team Canada’s game tomorrow at noon.
    I didn’t think he got up that early.

6. Mats26 says:

Would it be crazy to make hockey a summer olympic sport? You could simply delay the start of the NHL season by a couple of weeks. Shorter training camps, slightly compressed schedule, etc. Would help to open up new markets without sacrificing the integrity of the regular season. Plus any injuries would be less impactful to NHL clubs.

Luge doubles… two dudes lying on top of each other. How does Russia look at that?

8. Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve watched every Habs game this year. PK Subban is my favourite player to watch and I love him to death.

He has made some pretty glaring errors though! He’s coughed the puck up late in games and a couple of them resulted in big goals for the other team! He has definitely made some big mistakes this season and has lots of room to grow.

I have no problem with him being the 7th or 8th defenceman this year. He’ll be in the top 6 the next 2 or 3 Olympic games, if the NHL participates.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Our forwards don’t provide enough offense and PK tries to do too much sometimes but the same thing used to be said about Orr, if you remember. Offensive defensemen will always give something up in their efforts to create scoring chances. It’s an argument that’s existed ever since a defensemen carried the puck instead of making a pass. Hockey’s changed since Doug Harvey.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

9. StevieM61 says:

My only concern with Carey in goal is the lack of the trapezoid in olympic hockey.He always tended to make me pucker when he went for his strolls…

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

10. Sportfan says:

Long shot final Czech vs. Swiss with Pleks scoring the winner! I’d watch that.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

11. Strummer says:

And to think, all of this hoopla was the result of a ball hockey game in Alberta in August!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

12. Strummer says:

Bill Daly on the future of NHL participation:

“It’s part of a broader discussion with the players association about what we’re doing internationally. That discussion is under way. I would anticipate a fairly quick resolution with respect to the Olympics – six months.”

I heard an amusing analogy from Gord Stellick on Sportsnet last night- It’s the equivalent of saying to your girlfriend “we need to talk”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

Wonder how many games many posters here have actually watched Vlasic play when they criticize him as being nowhere near as good a player as Subban etc….

Babcock will play the players he deems to give the team the best chance to win. It does him no favours to play inferior players thus ensuring a worse result.

Vlasic does have 80 games of NHL playoffs on his resume by the way.

I do think Subban is more talented, but I have no reason to doubt Babcock as a coach of this team.

• mrhabby says:

likely zero.

• Luke says:

Vlasic is really good.

I’m more surprised about Hamhuis than Classy Marc-Eddy Vlassy (as he likes to be called).

• Bripro says:

Part of the problem, IMHO, is what was posted by another yesterday. Babcock belongs to the “old boys club”.
      For me, that’s the only explanation why Marty St Louis was not part of the original selection.
      I don’t have any issue with PK being 7th D, if that’s how he’s evaluated. But I fear that he’s only there because of fan pressure. I seriously doubt that he wanted PK there.
      And I also find the our McGill laureate isn’t as humble or open-minded as he used to be. He offered quite a few arrogant answer both this past summer, during their ball-hockey outings, and again within the last 10 days or so, when asked about which D…. Which G …. etc.

• mrhabby says:

If they win Gold…nobody will care.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Heck he only won the Norris last year. Why would the brain thrust even consider him? Think about it.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

Suggestions of a better person for the job?

• Bripro says:

I’m not saying he’s not the best for the job…. he just seems less humble than he used to be. His answers have been short and curt.
          Two are already there… Julien and Hitchcock. Other candidates could include Dave Tippett or Barry Trotz.
          ….just saying….

How many times can the fricking media ask him about PK before it is understandable for him to be frustrated. I am surprised he hasn’t called them stupid questions already. I have liked his responses, in fact I wish he was snarkier.

• Bripro says:

Speaking of “snarky”, are you having a good day? :)
            (please notice there’s a smiley face in there).

Good day, just so tired of the rhetoric of Team Canada and the terrible treatment of PK.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Bripro.

Hope you don’t mind me challenging you on Team Canada management being susceptible to fan pressure, which I think you’re suggesting is the reason PK ended up on the team.

If you’re right, how does that dynamic between fans and Babcock & co actually work?

• Bripro says:

Mike, I honestly don’t know if that was the reasoning, and I’m not in a position to question who makes the team and who doesn’t. But like most loyal fans, we usually root for our own at least at the same level as our other Canadian boys.
          Don’t get me wrong, as long as they make our country proud (medal or not), I’m good with that.
          And I often get frustrated with many going over the top in their analogies.
          As for PK, I have to agree with most. He’s the reigning Norris trophy winner, so not only should it have been a given, but it should have been announced from the get go.
          If it was just a question of falling in line behind the likes of Shea Webber, Duncan Keith and Drew Doughty ….. not a problem.
          But Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester were both selected early and IMO, PK is the better defenceman.
          So you know what Mr. Babcock (whom I have always had a great deal of respect for, and would have loved him behind our bench), just come out and say it, get it over with, get the press off your back and shut everyone up! There! Here’s who we’ve selected, and that’s it.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good answer! Still, it’ll take more to persuade me that Babcock would alter his team-list in response to how fans in Montreal (or any city) were reacting.

Now, if you were suggesting that maybe he was applying some butter in advance of a possible move to Montreal, you’d have me salivating a little!

14. Sportfan says:

WOOT Denny Morrison has won Silver for Canada in the men’s 1,000m Speed Skating event!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Gerry H says:

Happy Gilmore! Story of the games so far, in my book. Gilmore Junio, a great young skater who’ll become a star in his own right by the time the Soeul Games roll around, gave Denny his spot on the 1000 start list. Denny had fallen in the final 100m of the qualifier in Calgary last month, but would have won handily, otherwise. Gilmore thought Denny had a better shot at a medal than he did, so he took one for the team. Morrison was by no means a lock for a medal (hasn’t had a podium all season before now), which makes this even sweeter.

Junio came in 10th in his Olympic debut, the 500.

15. Sportfan says:

I’m not sure if it has been actually said, but if some of the team Canada lines are based on experience then they are big hippocrates, because Vlasic has no more or less experience than PK and Marty St Louis has way more than Kunitz. I really hope after the first game they try other line combos like Tavares or St Louis with Crosby.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

16. youngwun says:

Pleks is trending on twitter. Trying to guess how much ice time he plays vs the swedes. Haha I’ll. say 25 mins !

Has Agosta ever played with the best center Max had played with?

18. duffy says:

So much for all the talking heads saying they would start LUONGO IN GOAL.

19. ajk025 says:

Super dumb question that Im hoping someone can answer. Does the preliminary round count? Or is that another word for exhibition? Im assuming it is the same format as the world cup where the top 2 from each group move on, but then what is the “qualification playoff” for then? Just confirming.

See link: http://www.iihf.com/competition/olympics-2014-men/schedule.html

20. scarboro_habitant says:

entertaining game. a lot of high risk plays from our girls though. they seem to want to skate it out of the defensive zone instead of making the easy chip outs. sweden/czech rep. at noon if im not mistaken.

21. Marek says:

Wow, I just was browsing the TSN website. It was Agosta’s birthday today, what a great day for her (and Canada). It must be an unbelievable feeling , gives me chills

• monmick says:

She got a hat trick on her birthday in 2006 in Turin, against the Russians, as a 19 year old. How about that?

The organizers should try to schedule Team Canada games around her birthday…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

22. JUST ME says:

Nice win by the girls.
    Americans chose the wrong strategy in the 3 rd. They went for the long passes and were left alone against Canada and did not get their first shot on goal before the last minutes of the 3 rd.
    Still at 2-1 they were far from being out of the game but Canada chose short passes ,team rushes and so they won !

23. Peter Young says:

Officials don’t blow their whistles when goals are scored, so obviously the referee’s whistle sounded before the go-ahead goal was scored as far as the referee was concerned. So the goal ought not to have counted. Why the referee allowed the goal is beyond me. Video replay confirmed the whistle went before the puck crossed the line, although the timing of the whistle is not reviewable under the rules.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Perhaps the whistle ought not to have been blown though, so maybe the right thing was done in the end.

• boing007 says:

The whistle was blown while the puck was in motion, making its way across the line. How can you call that a no goal?

Richard R

• Peter Young says:

The puck has to be all the way across the line for a goal. This puck was not all the way across the line before the referee’s whistle sounded. The referee’s whistle stops play dead even if it is blown inadvertently.

I’m just citing the letter of the rules. I’m not at all upset that the goal was counted; I’m just trying to understand the logic of the situation, if there is any. I cheer for Canada in ice hockey.

24. Marek says:

Great game by the “ladies ice hockey team” , alway satisfying to beat the pesky Americans

25. BJ says:

Tight collar game. Nothing like a Canada win. Red and white 3 USA 2.

26. boing007 says:

KO by Agosta-Marciano.

Richard R

Great hit by Canadian on the ref! Opened up the ice for the breakaway.

28. Storman says:

Dis allowing Canada’s go ahead goal goal would have been nonsensical. American Defender tried to tuck free puck back under goalie, but slid the puck right through her into the net. Maybe International rules understand a whistle going simultaneously as puck is crossing the line had nothing to do with American girl scoring on her own net.

29. boing007 says:

Agosta! Sign her MB.

Richard R

30. Sportfan says:

Go Canada Go!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

31. monmick says:

PK sitting between Carey and BobbyLoo at the women’s game…

32. Bill H says:

I guess the people who reviewed that goal don’t have the benefit of sound. The whistle clearly was blown before the puck crossed the line. If Canada wins, that taints the victory. Its hard to imagine why they allowed that goal.

On the other hand, the puck was obviously in play and the whistle should not have been blown. But I didn’t know they could “unblow” the whistle upon review.

33. Sportfan says:

I really hope the Canadian women win it all shutting people like Wyshynski up and I also hope the American do no win, because those five minute band wagon fans get really annoying haha.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

34. scarboro_habitant says:

WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! (rick flair)

35. Grimmly says:

Go Canada, but wow that wistle did go before it entered,
    how come the Habs never get those calls hahah

36. boing007 says:

Hayley to the rescue!

Richard R

37. chanchilla says:

thought the whistle went there, nice one though!

38. chanchilla says:

what a nice feed

39. Mavid says:

Canada ties it!!!!!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

40. Cal says:

What is it with the coaches standing on the players’ bench?

41. Maritime Ronn says:

So Carey gets the start.
    He better drink a lot of coffee to stay awake against Norway.
    In 2010, Canada beat Norway 8-0 and outshot them 42-15, and it could be even worse for Norway this year with only 1 NHLer in MatsvZuccarelo.

Most preliminary round games will be boring with the exception of USA-Russia.
    Canada has by far the easiest section, and has 3 games to tune up.
    The 3rd game against Finland will be the closest to anything competitive.

42. Sportfan says:

I hope PK will get some play time, you cannot tell me that Vlasic or Jay-Bo Are better than him, as Jeff Marek said only Canada would have a Norris winner and an Art Ross Winner (St Louis) in the press box. Hopefully when we play Austria PK gets the chance.

Also Getzlaf on the Point on the PP is such a bad idea, forwards on the point rarely work see Russia 2010, haha either way go Canada go.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

43. BJ says:

Too bad on the penalty USA 1-0. Both goalies are very good. Its tough to score.

44. chanchilla says:

boo, they looked gassed.

45. Peter Young says:

Thought that was Pleks on the shorthanded breakaway. Same result, too.

46. chanchilla says:

we need to get some of these cute girl refs in the nhl for the games that aren’t so entertaining.

47. Maksimir says:

Wow – the NHL should have hot blonde women referees! When they mess up a call you just can’t get angry at them…

48. boing007 says:

Too Many Men? I thought I was watching women’s hockey?

Richard R

49. Maksimir says:

I might be mistaken but are the women hockey players wearing make-up?

50. Peter Young says:

I’ve read–and it’s been confirmed by the games I’ve watched–that the problem with women’s hockey is the huge disparity in quality between Canada and the USA, on the one hand, and the rest of the world on the other. Two great teams and the rest also-rans.

• BJ says:

Finland is close. They kept Canada to a scoreless draw with only 8 minutes or so left in the game.

• Peter Young says:

I watched that game. Canada thoroughly outplayed Finland despite the long time it was goalless. Some good goaltending from Finland and Canada just couldn’t get unwound. Then, bam, three quick goals, which were only what Canada deserved.

• Cal says:

I’m watching and am unimpressed by the poor passing and puck handling. Most of them have their heads down while carrying the puck. After all the training and coaching, I expect better.

51. montreal ace says:

Don looking quite dapper and handsome on Coaches Corner this morning

52. CJ says:

Good morning folks!

Can’t wait to watch Price shine. Out of curiosity, is Waite accompanying team Canada? Seems to be at least partly responsible for his student’s play. Loads of credit need to remain with Carey though. He made the orientation event in Calgary, the day after his wedding. If I recall, Claude Giroux did not. I’m not suggesting that this is the reason Price is starting and Giroux is off the team, as their respective play determined their fate, however it goes a long way to defining a teammates desire. I remember Giroux had the freak hand injury, but he should have been there.

Price doesn’t need to pitch shut outs for this team to win. He just needs to play his game and give the boys solid, consistent goaltending. I have every confidence in his abilities and look forward to watching him excel.

53. scarboro_habitant says:

FFS coaches corner?!?!?!?

54. BJ says:

Wow! Super 1st period, I never realized how skilled the Women’s Hockey has become. I covered years ago a Women’s World Championships, it has certainly come up in skill and speed.

55. BJ says:

These ladies are excellent players. Great skating, passing and smarts on D as well. Very entertaining.

56. scarboro_habitant says:

wonder how many of our guys are at this game. gotta be a few.

57. Peter Young says:

I forgot that at the Olympic Games it’s called “ladies’ ice hockey,” not “women’s ice hockey.” But on the ice these players don’t look much like ladies.

58. Storm Man says:

Is it a good or bad thing that Price starts the first game?

59. BJ says:

Morning to our North American friends. Great fast paced game. USA on a good PK kill. Hoping for a Canada win here. And also good on Price getting the start for game one, which probably means he’s the guy they go with from game 3 on (he needs a good first game).

60. GL says:

Hope Price does Good and they won’t have a choice but use him. He’s team Canada’s future anyway!!

61. Peter Young says:

Anyone up early to watch the U.S. and Canada in women’s hockey? It’s just after 4:30 a.m. in Los Angeles, but I’m wide awake for this one.

62. Peter Young says:

Double post, sorry. Guess I’m not as wide awake as I thought.

63. gmur says:

I think Price is going to continue his rock-solid play in the Olympics. Luongo will have to be impeccable if he wants to keep the nets.

Same for PK. If he gets an adequate chance to prove himself, I think it will be hard to justify removing him from the lineup. On the bigger ice surface, his speed and mobility are going to be more evident than ever.

Interesting write-up on Tim Bozon on rds:

64. Marc10 says:

This might be it for the NHL at the Olympic Games for a while. I hope not, but that’s how it’s looking… so let’s enjoy it to the max. Go Carey Go!

• Habfan10912 says:

I hope not as well Marc. South Korea probably doesn’t have the connections in the NHLPA that Russia had, eh?

• Marc10 says:

If the pros don’t make it back, it will be Russian domination again… I’d imagine the KHL will take the opportunity to fill the void. So let’s make sure we beat their best at home.

Norway… Do they have a couple of NHLers? Regardless, let’s make it a right pasting.

• Cal says:

I am hoping so. I want to see a World Cup of Hockey every 4 years that doesn’t cut into the regular season schedule. I don’t like too many games too close together, making the NHL look like a crap league. Many of the best in the world are in the NHL, but you wouldn’t know it because of things like 7 games in 11 nights and that kind of thing.

65. Curtis O Habs says:

Is it wrong of me to hope Bobby Lou stinks the joint out Friday?

66. Walmyr says:

So Luongo will play in the SECOND game…

any news regarding Subban???

CHeers

67. Habfan10912 says:

Pricer gets the first game!