Price gets Game 1 start for Team Canada; Boone will be blogging live

The Canadiens’ Carey Price will be in goal for Team Canada when it plays its first Olympic game in Sochi at noon Thursday ET against Norway.

The Vancouver Canucks’ Roberto Luongo will start the second game at noon Friday ET against Austria. Head coach Mike Babcock will then decide which goaltender will start the final preliminary-round game at noon ET Sunday against Finland.

HI/O’s Mike Boone will be part of a Postmedia News live blog during all of Team Canada’s games in Sochi, which you will be able to link to from the HI/O site.

“I was going to play one of them in (each of) the first two games,” Babcock told reporters in Sochi after announcing Price would start the first game. “If I had put Luongo in, you’d be asking me the same question.”

Price called getting the start a highlight of his career, telling reporters in Sochi: “I seem to have a lot in my young life so far. It definitely ranks up there.”

Said Luongo: “We’re all here to play for Team Canada, man. It’s not about one player. We’re all pulling the same rope.”

According to the expected Team Canada lineup published by The Canadian Press, the Canadiens’ P.K. Subban will be a healthy scratch Thursday against Norway, along with forward Matt Duchene.

Here is CP’s expected Team Canada lineup:

Jay Bouwmeester – Alex Pietrangelo
Seventh defenceman: Dan Hamhuis

Goalies
Carey Price – Roberto Luongo

Scratches
Matt Duchene, P.K. Subban

(Photo by Jean Levac/Postmedia News)

Price to start Olympic opener, Postmedia News

Canada vs. Norway preview, NHL.com

Canada beats U.S. 3-2 in women’s hockey, Postmedia News

All the latest Olympic hockey news, Postmedia News

1. WVHabsfan says:

Good point.

2. WVHabsfan says:

I typed too soon…

3. WVHabsfan says:

Chara is not playing his normal cheap shot hockey today. Interesting

• RetroMikey says:

These are Olympic rules not goon rules in the NHL where anything goes in the Bettman “big is better” NHL league.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

4. Grimmly says:

Subban not playing today is retarded , Babcock listens to too much of the Toronto area media about Subban

5. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

Game is on directv at 10am mountain time live.
    Channel 242

6. Slackman says:

Apologies if its been asked, but since the games are on at noon are they going to be on TV live at noon? Or are they going to wait until primetime? I know there will be showings on at 7:30 ish on CBC and whatnot, but I’m curious if they will also show at noon…

Also, if they do show at noon, will the outcome be on here? Because I work 8-4:30 so no live games for me on weekdays, and I don’t want to watch a game where I already know the outcome!

Thanks in advance.

7. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey is anyone aware of a site where you can watch recordings of full-games online? Missed the women’s game today.

Hayley. She is something else.

8. Eddie says:

Watching Plekanec today I thought to myself he has been miscast as a defensive, shutdown center. Sure he’s great at it, but we should try Eller in that role and use a whole bunch of guys to kill penalties.

We should try and create a line with Plekanec that will generate more offence, a lot more.

Eller is big, fast and he can play defence.

If Plekanec can help create more offence, and he can, we should make a deal that lands us a real good player on the wing.

Maybe Plekanec an be a 75 or 80 point player?

• A. Berke says:

As long as we have l’il Davey there’s not a chance of a snowball in hell for any other centre on the Habs who will get the favourable treatment for offence.
      In fact that may cause us to have Eller or even Pleks traded away to keep Davey in place.
      Cheers,

Ali B.

• scotland says:

he could be better in the offensive end with better players for sure. who wouldnt? he has played with gionta sewn to his ass for over 110 straight games. I remember the line in 08 with him, kovelov, kostitsin. That was the best i have ever seen pleks play. With the king of line juggling for a coach you would think that pleks would have had the chance to center galagher and patch? nope. pleks is likely the habs best center….and therrien with gion as one of his pets has made sure the stuggling captain has played every single shift with the best center on the team. good for gionta…….bad for pleks. heck you would think atleast on the pp therrien would try mix it up for pleks? nope…he gets gionta on his wing every time he is out for pp time. i have said it for a long time now…..pleks is carrying gionta and it hurts his game thus hurts the team.

all back to bad coaching.

9. Luke is Canadian says:

I am definitely ready for some hockey to discuss.

Well, some hockey to be played so we can discuss how poorly/well PK was used and how bad/good Price was.

• bwoar says:

I read this last night and was embarrassed for the guy who wrote it.

“thoroughbred”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Why? He’s a back up goalie not a “journalist”. So … anything he’s saying that’s not true? That’s also because he’s not a “journalist”.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Luke is Canadian says:

He is a journalist. And an author:

Nick Olynyk is a Canadian junior hockey expert. He is also author of the Junior Hockey Truth, and a second book will be published in the fall. His website, juniorhockeytruth.com, is for parents of bantam and midget hockey players who want to succeed at junior hockey

• Thomas Le Fan says:

And we were both “joking”. Serious bunch here sometimes.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• shiram says:

The tone of that piece was really bad.

• johnnylarue says:

Might be coming from an honest place, but the tone is reverential to the point of being totally awkward.

And a former minor/junior-league backup goalie patronizing Roberto Luongo… well, that’s just unfortunate.

• Luke is Canadian says:

I think he was trying (and not succeeding) to get a bit of a joking tone with the direct letter to Loungo.

It kind of came off as dismissive of Loungo. Y’know… a guy with an olympic gold and a pretty solid NHL career going being dismissed by a one-time junior hockey back up goalie.

Sorta like when I say John Scott can’t skate. Well he can. better than I do. But I’m not a journalist.

• D Mex says:

Not the way I read it at all.
          Humorous and self-deprecating – he puts himself in the cross-hairs and ‘ tells ‘ Luongo to get ready for Carey.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• knob says:

That was an obnoxious article.

10. DipsyDoodler says:

Jaromir Jagr has by my count used the Habs 3 separate times to drive up his value as a free agent. Every summer leaked information suggests that he is interested in Montreal and vice versa, and he’s got chemistry with Plekanec, and wouldn’t it be great to play for the Montreal Canadiens, etc ….

No way should we give up an assett for a guy we could have had for free three times already.

(Yes, I know I don’t know for a fact that we pursued him and he turned us down, but if knowledge is a prerequisite for posting here than it’ll get real quiet real soon.)

• HabFab says:

Word…

Whatever that is supposed to mean… the old fart

• ABHabsfan says:

What if the asset was Gionta? A player whom many figure should be shipped anyway, UFA after this year, gets to play with little brother, Devils drafted him

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• JUST ME says:

Dipsy, hats off to you for saying things as they are.
      Jagr does not give a…about MTL or playing with his friend Plek. It`s a well known fact that he used MTL to raise the value and lenght of deals he was negociating many times as every player will do by the way. I just never heard someone publicly saying he did not want to play anywhere when he was looking for a deal.

So if MB is a fair businessman he listens but does not sacrifice anything for an old player. Actually i do not think that the timing is good for us to hire a rental like him or Vanek or Moulson. Long term maybe but no rental no given draft choices or prospects.

• scotland says:

brierre told montreal to go stuff it fives years ago, after using the habs to negotiate a better deal with flyers. then publically stated why he did not want to sign with the canadiens. after signing with flyers. now that he is washed up and bought out by philly…..he comes to montreal and grabs 8 million for doing so???!!!!. lol

signing or trading for jagr could not possibly be a laughable as the brierre signing for hab mgt

11. jols101 says:

I missed the Czech/Sweden game. How was the hockey? Anyone know if there is a replay on tonight?

12. Caesar says:

My 2 cents on bigger ice… I don’t know how much the size of the ice affects the game because it’s usually only national and all star teams that I watch play on the bigger surface. I like the speed a lot and I think it allows for more creativity and is a bit more forgiving if you make a mistake <– my opinion only. But in no way will the owners lose money no matter what. They never lose money. Their losses are temporary at best. They will simply raise the price of tickets to cover the "losses". Or the cap will go down due to loswer revenue etc. It won't be them that pays, it will again be us the fans.

• Habfan17 says:

I hear you, the owners want the green to flow in. I do wish that they could have made the surface a little bigger, not necessarily to the same size as the Olympic dimensions, but it would not have been too hard to widen the ice surface by 2 feet and the length by 5 feet.
      If they had used that in the neutral zone, then they would still have pretty much the same area in the offensive/defensive zones, but more room to avoid the trap in the neutral zone!

Habfan17

13. Wintercount says:

Feb, 1 – Flight to Sochi – done
    Feb, 2 – Scope out security at the Bolshoy – done
    Feb, 3 – Trial run, tape icepick, 750ml of h2o and loonie under players bench – done
    Feb, 4 – Midnight, evade security, go to centre ice dig up ruble and get the job done
    Feb, 5 – Fly back home – done

Giddyup!

14. HabFab says:

Habsworld’s top prospects for January;

15. HabFab says:

Tokarski and Nygren shine at the AHL Skills Competition;

• shiram says:

Yeah I read Nygren got a 104mph slapshot in.
      And was co-winner for accuracy also.
      Not bad at all.

• Habfan17 says:

That is awesome, I hope he is ready for next season. With his experience playing against men in Sweden, it would be great if he could fill the 2nd pairing right spot behind PK. Imagine
        Beaulieu and PK
        Emelin and Nygren
        Gorges and Pateryn

Habfan17

16. Luke says:

To add to the discussion about Larger Ice, players and scoring…

One of the largest factors in the decline of crazy scoring numbers is that the gap between the best players in the NHL and the worst players in the NHL has never been smaller.

The fourth line pluggers are a heck of a lot better skaters, puck handlers and athletes than the 4th line pluggers were 15 or 20 years ago.

• johnnylarue says:

That’s a really good point.

Up to a point, every hockey player now goes through the same generalized developmental process, which means the overall skill level is probably higher than it was in the 70s-80s.

But it also means those with “supernatural talent” stick out less, which sadly makes for a blander end product… or at least that’s the way it seems to me.

• Luke says:

(YEs! Danny Briere fist pump)

I’d also say the talent gap back in the day was more akin to Junior Hockey nowadays. Perhaps that why I’m really enjoying it. The exceptional players stand out and are able to do exceptional things.

17. Strummer says:

Anyone catch the in- studio crew covering the Czech-Sweden game on Sportsnet?
    Scott Morrison, John Shannon and Brad Fay.
    If that’s an idindication of the talent at Sportsnet for hockey broadcasts in the future- it wasn’t that bad.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

18. habs001 says:

Plecks fits in with this Czechs team..it is like the Habs team..some good players..a few too old…but not good enough players to compete with the big teams regularly…

19. Propwash says:

This is why Hoth was denied its bid to host the winter Olympics.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

20. Chuck says:

I still love that the self-proclaimed “Canada’s Team”, the Laffs, don’t have a single player on Team Canada.

• Habilis says:

It’s even better when you consider that their number 1 goalie, number 1 D-man and number 1 center are all Canadians. :D

• Strummer says:

I wouldn’t lump Bernier in with the other 2. His numbers are almost identical to Price’s playing on a team with weaker D.
        He seems like the real deal.

____________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• frontenac1 says:

Jeeze,Did I just read that?

• Habilis says:

With all due respect, you’re coo coo for Cocoa Puffs my friend.

His numbers aren’t bad this season, I’ll give you that. He might even be better than Mike Smith right now.

But he didn’t make the team because his body of work is minuscule for someone his age. Not to mention he’s another “Halak-sized” goalie. It’s rare that guys that size can carry the mail.

IMHO, the jury is still out on him. If he’s still number 1 and playing well at this time next year, or if he carries the Loafs through a couple of playoff rounds this year, I’ll start buying the hype.

• Strummer says:

Burkie did his best to make the Leafs Team USA.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

21. Marcusman says:

Would you trade Louis Leblanc for Jagr?

• UKRAINIANhab says:

• Marcusman says:

me too….Louis is going no where with us……send him to NJ and get the # 8 all time scoring leader to help put the Puck in the net…once we get to the play-off dance..anything could happen.

• Strummer says:

Definitely not. Jagr I would take as a UFA but I wouldn’t trade any assests for him.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• punkster says:

I always think back on the Max situation when the subject of dumping young forwards comes up.

A couple of disappointing call ups with the big team, back to Hamilton for seasoning, an awakening of sorts before his next chance, then boom, living up to expectations.

Now Louis is no Max, no question there, but he’s a couple of years younger and showing a similar slow (or is it average?) development.

Habs fans are so quick to bail on young picks when they don’t light it up over night.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Eddie says:

Max actually went public with a statement that e would rather play in Hamilton than come up and play 3rd or 4th line for the Habs.

I think Leblanc might be thinking the same thing.

When he’s called up does he ever get any top 6 minutes?

• Kooch7800 says:

Leblanc may be on his last legs but lets face it we are not over flowing with forward prospects at the moment. We are not cup contenders so hold onto what you have. Only trade for long term help

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Absolutely not.

22. shiram says:

How did Pley look ?
    I could not watch the game.

23. Plekasuares says:

Jagr plek was fun to watch. GMs a fool

24. Rad says:

I see the Czechs are just as guilty of “who plays/who does not play” by choosing to play Petr Nedved over Martin Hanzal. That is absurd, IMO. Hanzal is a game-changer type of player.

25. habsfan0 says:

Has Team Slovakia announced who their starting goalie will be?
    Jaroslav Halak or Peter Budaj?

• Mr. Biter says:

Yes if Budaj (Habs backup) starts over the still revered Halak, the Hakakites will fill the site claiming it was MT’s fault. Surprised to see PK sit out 1st game, but I do like Luongo’s comment that’s it’s not about one player we’re all pulling the same rope. Good line from him as he’ll probably be playing only one game.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• SlovakHab says:

Halak will start against USA.

26. habfaninottawa says:

The NHL will never go to international size drinks because they would have to get rid of several rows of high-ticket prices seats and they’d lose money from screwing over the fans. Even though we all know that if it did happen we would have a much superior on-ice product and more people would be willing to go to games.

• Forum Dog says:

If we are talking about international size drinks, I’d much rather have a 500ml tall-boy than an 473ml one, and am in complete agreement.

If we’re talking about rinks I – speaking only for myself – do not see how international sized ice would lead to a much superior on-ice product. The smaller surface NA plays on leads to a fast paced, contact game where transitional play, turnovers, rebounds, etc. all lead to scoring chances. This can happen on larger ice surfaces as well, but a lot of the freneticism is lost. NA ice is the home of hockey and I would hate to see that changed.

• johnnylarue says:

I dunno, Dog. Players nowadays are bigger and faster, and defensive systems have evolved to an extent that goal scoring is at an all-time low… Even the game’s superstars (Crosby, Ovechkin, et. al.) have scoring stats which pale in comparison to those of previous generations.

Honestly, NHL hockey is pretty dull, and if it wasn’t for my senseless addiction to the Habs from the age of 10 or so, I would find little to like in it.

A bigger surface gives finesse players more room in which to “express themselves”, as Pierre Houde might say. I’m all for that.

• Forum Dog says:

Fair point on player size, which has increased a lot, but I’m not sure that it is what has changed the rate of scoring. I think today’s scoring is actually pretty much in-line with historical averages. The period between the 70′s and early 90′s did see a higher rate, but I think a lot of that was related to the gap between skaters and goalies. Guys could fire wicked slapshots, one-timers, etc. at goalies who had minimal equipment. Not too mention that the rapid expansion of the league created huge gaps in overall talent.

I’m also not a fan of increasing scoring for the sake of it. Yeah, everyone likes to see goals, but a 7-5 game is not necessarily more exciting than a 2-1 game. As long as a game is hard fought with lots of intensity and chances at both ends, I’m happy.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

It won’t matter what size rinks they build…system against system is how you shut the game down to what it has become today. Also factor in the lazy players and lack of competition for jobs on most teams. Add the tinkering of rules and also dumb and dumber announcers doing the games and you have what we have today. Other than some impractical attachment to the HABS as the above poster mentions. I challenge anyone to watch an Ottawa game and listen to the announcers Potvin and Brown and then tell me you can enjoy it. They want all penalties called to be for Ottawa and now try Redmond of Detroit…I can’t bring myself to watch a game they do anymore. THese two sets make the Boston duo sound like a breath of fresh air. Hockey is an affluent persons’ sport regarding players and fans that actually pay to go. Most average people can’t afford to go and soon manywon’t be able to go because of high ticket price. Bigger ice surfaceswon’t do a dammed thing to improve the game. We watch 3-6 games of Olympic games and the players play their butts off due to the one time in 4 years fad of it all…if they played 82 games you’d see would probably see a less enjoyable sport. Rene Borque wouldn’t accidentally run in anyone then and could have a perfect year of no hits.

• frontenac1 says:

If international size “drinks” are bigger than Canadian Size drinks, I am all for it.

• GrimJim says:

I was listening to sports radio once and they were interviewing an architect who specialized in constructing sports facilities and he said that moving to olympic sized ice in the current arenas would actually affect every seat in the stadium because the sightlines are all designed to provide viewing for where the boards are now. In essence, everyone would lose their view of the 7 or 8 feet of ice next to the boards on the side that they were sitting.

I don’t want the fusion reactor, I want the confusion reactor

• Mr. Biter says:

Also how many high price seats would be lost. Think of the $$$$$$ involved.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Luke says:

Yah, but you just bump all the pricing up for each row lost. The cost of row #2 is now the cost of former row #1 and filter that up to top section where the proce of the last row in the rink is now the price of the last row in the section before it.

Then you tell everyone because you cut out the seats you have to increase all seats by +7% (or something) and double up on the charge increase.

No matter what changes they make, losing money won’t be a result.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Smaller drinks? Have another.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

What exactly is really on your mind, Ottawa??!!

LOL!

27. twilighthours says:

Yes, but will Bloone be live-bogging?

Cze-Swe… I am less than impressed. What a boring game. Hopefully Canada will give us more than a snore fest this game was. Reminded me of Habs playing New Jersey.

Have to wonder if perhaps Cze team could have upset Sweden with a better goaltending decision to start the game.

30. 25Stanleycups says:

Its evidently clear that the NHL product could improve leaps and bounds with international size ice.

Lot more flow, no clutching, and no need to be BIG in size, no need for goons, which is probably 10-20% of the leagues players.

Its really unfortunate that unless teams were to change there ticketing system, that it will unlikely evolve.

Its the only ingredient preventing NHL from being a pure sport.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Totally agree. Such a superior game on big ice.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• That will never, ever happen with owners like Jeremy Jacobs running the board. His precious Gooins would go down in flames like pylons in a pool of gasoline.

Until–ant that’s a big UNTIL–there is a revolution in the halls of power, we’re stuck with Neanderthal hockey.

Defense wins championships

• Rad says:

I have long advocated for the bigger ice surface, both for the quality of play it would foster, and because it would significantly cut down on serious injuries such as concussions. The NHLPA may have to take the lead on this, since the owners will not.

• Cal says:

Just wait if/until the Swedes play Canada. The game will slow to a crawl. The “no clutching” is because of how crap the refs are.
      Generally, that game was quite dull. With that many NHL stars playing, I expected a lot better show. We didn’t get one.
      Notice there were barely any hits at all? Can’t trust the refs to call the game in these international tourneys. See the second Czech goal? Pleks should have been in the box for interference.
      It’s not about the size of the ice. Gretzky collected 3000 points on the small ice. It’s the equipment that allows everyone to play goalie. That would be the change I make. Suddenly everyone is brave enough to block shots when it used to be only 1 or 2 players on every team.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Simple rule change required. No one except the goaltender is allowed to leave his feet to block a shot. If all goalies are going to be 6’5″ … slightly bigger nets would make for more offence or how about each goalie is measured for his own net determined by his size and ratio of body size to net? ;)

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“…when it used to be only 1 or 2 players on every team.”

And everybody’s younger brother.

• Habilis says:

No argument here.

Unfortunately this will never happen in the NHL. The biggest hurdle is the current infrastructure. Most NHL arenas don’t have the capacity to expand their rinks without major renovations which would entail removing a bunch of seats.

There is really only one way to do it, and it would take decades. You’d have to “grandfather” the new surfaces in as teams renovated or built new arenas. And even then, the logistics of such an undertaking are huge. The new arenas would need to be able to ice either size surface, so the NHL could retain continuity while everyone caught up.

Unlikely.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

what wisdom….profound

31. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Watching Pleks playing with Jagr once again just makes me angry that Bergevin chose Briere over him. Just imagine how much better we’d be having Jagr playing alongside Pleky. Sigh.

Bergevin, you’ve got some making up to do.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

32. Caesar says:

@Bwoar, I think because Hockey matters here the most so anything that happens to PK is magnified. Where else would they get 200 comments on a defensman’s TOI or a glares askance from their coach. It only matters here because it only matters here.

33. Just watched that Czech power play. Lots of pressure and looks like Pleks and Jagr still have good chemistry. Man, I wish MB would have taken him over the other dude we signed, even though that guy’s starting to play a bit better. =/

Defense wins championships

34. Mavid says:

Is there any truth as to PK having his own room because he snores too much, or is it just another pinhead Sens fan talking out of his hat

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

35. scarboro_habitant says:

czechs just waiting to unleash kaberle.

36. Mavid says:

I only get the game on the radio (at work) but it sounds like Yammy and the turtleneck make a good pair

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

Unbelievable, CBS Sports with a focus on ten players to watch at men’s hockey Olympics, and they don’t include PK. More media that clearly is out to get PK…….

38. mrhabby says:

Should Gilmore Junio carry the flag in the closing ceremonies……trending all over the place.

Interesting, the first row of seats for hockey arena appear to be 6-10 feet away from the glass, especially on the ends.

40. scarboro_habitant says:

lol nedved

41. Maksimir says:

Gees – the Czechs are all over the Swedes!

42. Just A Guy says:

Pleky you dog… 4-2 goal was a beauty lol.

Plex makes it 4-2

44. Maksimir says:

Czech’s get one back.. maybe they can pot a couple more and make it a game?

Best thing about this hockey game and the coverage is Glenn Healy’s microphone isn’t working!

Czech goaltending not looking so good. Starter just got pulled. 3-0 Sweden.

• Habilis says:

What were they thinking in not even dressing Pavelec?

“We have one NHL goalie, but let’s dress these two also-rans instead. It’s only Sweden…”

Bizarre to say the least.

• Maksimir says:

Apparently Czechs have been hit with a flu bug.. maybe that’s Pavalec not 100%?

• Habilis says:

When it was announced that he wasn’t dressing, the Jets came out and said that he’s completely healthy to their knowledge.

Still though, he could have contracted something in the last couple of days. That would definitely make the most sense.

Of course, this is a coaching staff that took Nedved over guys like Vrbata and Hudler. It wouldn’t surprise me if they just went with their guts on this.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Hopefully it has has nothing to do with any irrational hate-mongering, homophobic, rascist, conspiracy…

• scarboro_habitant says:

yah vrbatas pretty solid.

47. Caesar says:

I can’t get any video from the CBC. I must be on an American server or something. Does anyone have a “non-CBC” link for any of the games? Especially Team Canada ?

48. commandant says:

Our last two Sochi Men’s Tournament Previews.

The US Team

The Writers’ Medal Predictions.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

Here is link to CBC’s coverage of Cze vs Sweden game.

50. Habilis says:

@Maksimir and anyone else looking to watch the CZE-SWE game online.

Here is a better quality feed from CBC, but it’s only available in Canada.

Personal note: Holy cow. Just so much room on the ice. Crosby is gonna have some fun tomorrow.

51. sreuel says:

Live blogging in front of a TV Why blog when most of Canada will be watching.

52. chemic says:

so hows the turtelneck power doing so far?

53. boing007 says:

Conor McKenna just said that women ski jumpers are very aerodynamic. Do they do any wind tunnel testing before they compete?

Richard R

54. In case anyone hasn’t seen this, a Canadian group put out this awesome 30-second ad on Russia’s homophobic nonsense. Actually made me laugh pretty good:

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

55. Dunboyne Mike says:

Prust and Parros in “Titanic” pose:

This is not actually funny at all.

Sochi (AP) — It was when he saw this photo that President Putin overruled Prust’s and Parros’s selection to Team Canada.

Asked for a comment, the mayor of Sochi said he welcomed the decision. It meant Sochi could maintain its status as a 100% homosexual-free community.

Meanwhile, President Putin has revealed that he subsequently received an email from George Parros asking him if he would “like to dance”. “I replied, Of course not!” said the President, who holds a black belt in karate but failed official ballroom dancing courses three times when he was a young diplomat.

“I told Mr Parros I would rather fight than dance.” Hockey fans, homosexuals, the Russian opposition and in fact most of the Russian population, Chechen rebels and the world’s television networks are all reported to be waiting eagerly for a reply from George Parros.
    -ends-

56. bwoar says:

I’m surely not the only one who doesn’t care one bit how or how much Subban plays at the Olympics, what the rest of the NHL thinks, etc. etc.

Can someone who is really invested in that clue me in as to why it’s so important? Maybe I’m missed an important point. It kinda seems like a bunch of hand-wringing over nothing (?)

• dr. gesundheit says:

Sorry…I can’t

• Eddie says:

I think people who support Subban feel like he has been attacked by some in the hockey world, like Cherry and other CBC and TSN analysts.

It seems like he plays under a microscope at times. He is booed in most arenas as well.

As of result, I think his fans feel almost compelled to defend him, to balance against the unfair criticism.

Just my opinion of course.

• bwoar says:

Thanks for the honest reply Ed.

I think the microscope itself is magnified (heh) by the Montreal fanbase; PK is talked / thought about so much because he’s such a good player.

57. Eddie says:

Every dman who handles the puck is going to make mistakes.

I saw Robinson in his prime cough up the puck numerous times.

58. boing007 says:

Go Czechs!

Richard R

59. Maksimir says:

Anyone have a link to watch the swe-cze game? Thanks!

60. jo_maka says:

Fearless prediction:

Subban will work his way up, starting from 7th, and will make all his haters eat crow with a devilish grin and a gold medal.

I’m OK with having him as 7th for now.

The amount of unwarranted hate this kid gets is really ridiculous. I hate the Bruins to death, but I’ll be rooting for Bergie.

Been a fan of Crosby since when I lived in Rimouski during his junior years, but at least a chunkful of idiots stop calling him Cindy during the Olympics.

Everything you can say PK’s doing, others do it too. Sometimes PK is better than the others, sometimes not. But it’s hardly a reason to hate him this much. I understand that Habs fans will never forget Chara for Patch, I can relate.

What did PK do to warrant so much disrespect in the NHL fanbase ?

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”