Price gets call over Huet for Panthers

Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau announced today that Carey Price will start tomorrow vs. the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre, getting the nod for his good work of late.

Cristobal Huet, who backed up Price Saturday vs. Toronto, will fill the same role tomorrow, and he isn’t overjoyed with the idea, having been widely believed to be getting the start. But Carbonneau wants Huet to get another few days of practice before returning to action, having sat out the past six games with a groin injury.

Guillaume Latendresse practised at Verdun with his teammates, but will be a game-time decision, having suffered what’s reported to have been an upper-body injury last Thursday in Philadelphia. Defenceman Patrice Brisebois practised as well, rehabbing a shoulder injury, but left early and won’t be in the lineup.

1. hhl says:

i agree with you on ryder’s foot speed.now the thing about the powerplay is that last year, they simply kept feeding souray the puck and chasing the rebounds.this year they seem to be incorporating different styles utilising their speed more effectively making it more difficult to defend againts.thus whomever is playing the point will not get as many shots in as what souray got last year.as for the price huet combo,i would think that carbo will play huet at some point this week.but also may go with the hot goalie if huet struggles.n right now that is price.with playing time ,i see price as only getting better.i agree that huet deserves starter status. but does that mean that price dosen’t? n price is the future of this club. ive never seen a goalie quite like price before.so calm n confident.better puck handler than what hextall was.but hextall had no style.i can see that the team is starting to become more comfortable and more confident with price in net.and hes only 20.hope he has a trophy case picked out.and a real big one at that.cause hes gonna need one.

2. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

but its not about HUET and his contract (new) – its about winning.

case in point, last year it was HALAK who carried the team on his back during the final weeks when Huet was nursing the same injury, and it came down to the final game against those laffs and Carb because of all the things you’ve said in your post, respect, honor, whats fair….went and started HUET, and WHAT HAPPENED?…going into the 3rd with a 3 goal lead and we lost!

CARB doesn’t make the same mistake twice, thats why he was a GREAT defensive player, beat him once, but NEVER TWICE.

No doubt Price has the upper hand now, he stood up when called (Huet injury) … Halak didnt even see the ice.

at present I don’t see them going back to 50-50 playing. Huet better make sure he is 110% because he has a Phenom beside him…thats why CARB is calling the shots for Huet.

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

3. saku11 says:

Patrick Kane R CHI 8 goals 23 assists
    Jonathan Toews C CHI 12 goals 13 assists
    Nicklas Backstrom C WSH 5 goals 16 assists
    Tobias Enstrom D ATL 32 3 goals 15 assists

I think if Price continues to play as he has the past few games, he could definitely win the Calder. I’m not sure if we want him to , the last goalie to win the Calder was Andrew Raycroft I think and we all know how he turned out. Seriously though, it would be the first of many trophies Carey Price wins in his career. The kid is money. I love how he sounds borderline comatose in his interviews too, it’s hilarious.

4. LeClair says:

I strongly believe this is a good call by carbo. Price has faced like 60 shots the last two games and has only given up two late meaningless goals. Don’t get me wrong I believe Huet is probably the best goalie right now for the organization and will eventually again be the starter (which he deserves). I think he will start against washington and i bet he even plays 7 or 8 of the teams next 10 games after Tuesday night. I am also surprised that Huet made any form of comment as he is usually soft spoken and does what the coach says. I think he will realize that this is not carbo’s way of telling him Price is the starter.
    Finally I would like to mention the Ryder situation. He lacks the foot speed to play as a top 9 forward but he does have that great shot (especially the release)and is effective on the powerplay. So once again he should be on the fourth line but the first powerplay unit and be set up much like souray was last year. I would like comments on this because last year I was called an idiot and told I didn’t know what I was talking about. Then he ended up with thirty goals (18 on the powerplay) and was a -25 (estimated can’t remember off the top of my head) at even strength.

5. moser17 says:

quick correction on your otherwise sober comments, H-P: Halak did see the ice, in the third period against the Hurricanes on Dec 9. Price got taken for four goals in 30 shots and 40 minutes, and Halak allowed a goal on six shots in the final 20. That game was out of reach anyway, given how the fellas were playing. And it was good, in my opinion, for Price to get yanked early, get it out of his system, see that life goes on and realize that one yank doesn’t mean anything next to his accomplishments and potential.

6. RS says:

I have no problem with the Habs keeping Huet for the rest of the season (and a big playoff run, of course), then wishing him well on the free agent market.

7. Vincent is possible says:

All I have to say is YEAAAAAAH!!!!! Brisbois out; Price in! What else could you want? Okay one more thing for Christmas….

___________________________________________________________________________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT VINCE!”

8. Dan23 says:

Huet is going to play eventually, and I’m sure the possibility of becoming #2 will motivate him that much more.

Based my own knowledge, I would have expected Huet to play tomorrow night. That said, it is a busy week for the Habs (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday), so I guess they want Huet 150% so he can play at least 2 of those games.

9. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

THIS ONE IS A NO-BRAINER.

You play PRICE…no question, he is playing GREAT, Huet is coming back from an injury, NO RUSH!, a simple no BRAINER DECISION!

In fact the only thing that should get HUET into the net is when PRICE needs a rest OR if Price goes flat.

When is a rest mandatory? after 5 straight? 20 Straight?
    If Price can put 20 Wins on the column then you go with PRICE FOR 20 GAMES STRAIGHT.

TEAM WINNING FIRST – Goalies feelings LAST.

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

10. Sbah Reverof says:

Must there always be a controversy? Price is playing well and is better suited to the Florida game. Huet’s groin injury ust be taken seriously, else he could be out for a long time, and it would be better to ease him back in. We have to get as many points as possible before our next slump, be it 2 or 6 games, and everybody starts screaming bloody murder. Enjoy the good times while they’re here, and allow the guys to play fun, stress-free hockey.

11. Mattee. says:

I’m going to have to disagree with you Hab-Professor, which is rare, we usually have similar thoughts.

I simply don’t think it’s right/fair/respectful/honourable to take your number 1 goalie for two years and ask him to be a number 2 because you need to develop the “future”. Huet carried this team on his own for so long and now he is in his contract year and he needs to play. He needs to play and impress so he can get that multi-year contract he deserves. The Montreal Canadiens organization (namely Carbo) OWE it to him. Yes, they owe it to him to make him look good even though the possibilities of him returning are close to none (IMHO). Also, he is playing well, he hasn’t lost the number one position yet. If the team feels they don’t need Huet, they should trade him, for his sake.

Of course, whether he’s fit to play vs Florida or not is another issue.

12. Dan23 says:

I think Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews out of Chicago are front-runners for ROTY. Price could make a case for being in the Top 3, though.

13. Rocket Richard says:

You could only hope that Price gets better playing more nhl games.

I believe he will.

Looks like the kid is making his mark these days in the NHL.

Question: Besides Price, who are the other rookies in the NHL this year. Would be wonderful to see him as the rookie of the year player.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks

The Rocket Richard – “you must hate to lose”
    Read and Research Thousands of Articles Here

We don’t want him! We have our own to win with. Our kids were drafted by us, for us. Just look at N.Y. Rangers today, trying to buy a cup fails everytime. Draft and develope our own, look how many bulldogs are on the squad now ! We are coming along slow and sure. Two more years and we will be fighting it out at the top without bringing in anyone. If anyone leaves, it will only be for draft choices. Grow your own family is the only way to the top.

15. sholi2000.com says:

As said earlier. Huet is coming off an injury and we have 4 games this week. Looks like Bob (cough) I mean Guy made the right decision.

sholi2000.com
    God Bless Our Infantry
    Death to the Taliban
    2PPCLI

I can understand Huet being a little peeved – what competitive player wouldn’t be? But groin injuries can be tricky and you really want him to be fully healed and have lots of practice time to test it out before he comes back. Over-extending himself to make that one dazzling save could put Huet back on the shelf for another month. He should bide his time until the weekend.

It will only be a controversy if the media and fans turn it into one. Besides, a smart coach always goes with a hot hand in net.

The Original 24 Cups

Hi TommyB, Yep! play him until he looses and then Huet until he looses. Price lost his own shutout last game, with just a little lack of focus. He is playing very well but shutouts in this league are never given! Learning curve.

18. Ed says:

TSN has today moved Montreal’s ranking back up to 8th. I included Dallas’ ranking because Ribeiro is mentioned for Dallas, & then Niinimaa is mentioned in the analysis of Montreal. Also, Price and Huet are both mentioned.

“Dallas – Ranked 7th – Record 18-11-4
    Mike Ribeiro’s really responded well since arriving from Montreal last year. He plays a more complete game and has seen a solid increase in ice time to correspond with his team-best production, which includes nine points in the last four games.
    Key Injuries: D Philippe Boucher (shoulder), RW Jere Lehtinen (sports hernia).

Montreal – Ranked 8th – Record 16-11-5
    No mention of Janne Niinimaa here, but the Canadiens move back up with the return of Cristobal Huet gives the Habs a nice 1-2 punch after Carey Price went 3-1-1 in five starts with Huet hurt.
    Key Injuries: None.”

19. joel says:

i agree with your assessment,, but the one thing that i love about this situation, is the fact that the coach has the luxury of being able to have a choice of 2 goalies, and not having to rush one because the other is not doing the job… it has been a while since we had that luxury

20. Geoff F says:

RS, fair enough but something has to happen to Huet between now and the end of the season otherwise we lose him to free agency. So i’m not so convinced. I think they may have something in the works and they are trying to preserve him so as not to reinjure himself. Kind of hard to trade a goalie with a groin injury.

In any event i don’t even want to think about it…

21. RS says:

Well some people (Hab fans being Hab fans) will make a mountain out of a mole hill, but basically Carbo want to make sure Huet’s groin is fully ready before he throws him out there again, Price is doing fine and Huet wants to play. No big deal.

It’s a borderline call. I would have gone with Huet, but there is no rush. You don’t want a lingering groin injury that never really heals.

I’d be worried if Huet wasn’t chopping at the bit. Huet is certainly not going to be traded in the short term. Huet will take back the #1 job once he is healthy. Price is developing nicely and will be number 1 next October.

Hopefully, Lats gets back in the line-up.

22. krob1000 says:

I think Huet is too classy to blame Price for playing well. I really think and hope this is more with regards to the injury and playing it safe like Columbus did with Leclaire and Ottawa should have (in fairness to them they tried but I think Emery probably said he was more ready than he was because of how well Gerber was playing). We have to resist temptation and go witht he injury viewpoint or we will be fuelling this and the more I write the more I think I just shouldn’t write. Something tells me this has 300 posts written all over it though.

23. Scotty90 says:

I hope Huet is not mad with Price for ‘trying to get his job’ and with Carbo for sitting him against the Panthers. Huet is coming off an injury… don’t rush. price is playing great… lets keep it going. We need all the wins we can get and if that means hurting peoples feelings in the process so be it. Players are all professionals and should be able to deal with this. The last thing we need is something new festering in the Canadiens camp and creating turmoil. I like Huet but if he is pissed and starts to create problems at camp… show him the door. After seeing the teams reaction with price after the last two wins, particularly Komi and Higgins, there is a great camaraderie there. Huet would be taking on the team… not a good move.

24. idle says:

I agree that Halak should have started that game. I think the fact that he had some troubles for the first time the previous game added some nervousness to the situation. I also remember how amazing Huet played in the first period. I don’t fault Huet for that game, he should not have been thrown into a ‘one off’ live or die game right after sitting so long with an injury. Also for everyone who has been responding to Mattee’s post by saying that it is not about Huet it is about the TEAM, I hope you remember that it was a team breakdown that lead to that loss not Huet.

25. joe-hab-nuno says:

didn’t lundquist from ranger’s win last year?

26. A. Berke says:

Accepted and am glad that now you understand where I was coming from. Insulting people is not my thing.

Cheers,

Ali B.

Without a doubt. The only reason the Habs were there at the end was because of Halak’s play – the guy was on a hot streak. Huet was shaky all game and indirectly allowed for a momentum shift after we basically had the Lousy Leafs on the ropes. You should always ride a hot goalie for as long as you can.

The Original 24 Cups

28. Mattee. says:

haha, well I guess I’m the only one. I know it’s all about winning, but mistreat your players and it comes back to bite you. Remember, Montreal is already having a hard enough time attracting players, you don’t want to give UFA’s one more reason to stay away from here.

29. showey47 says:

i agree, you go with the guy who got you there. A month before the end of the season last year, the habs were totally written off and halak pretty much on his own gave us a hope of making the playoffs. Huet hadn’t played in 2 months and gets thrown into the most important game of the year when only playing one period the game before?

If halak played we would of won and the game would not of even been close.

30. linp says:

I would say that if there are two games in two nights, it is better to play both goalies. When a goalie is tired, it is more likely to get hurt.

31. A. Berke says:

Yes Ian, you’re right, it’s part of the learning curve.

In fact Luongo had only one shutout in his first season and Brodeur got zero!
    Price is good and will be great with hard work and patience.

Ali B.

32. A. Berke says:

What the Habs as a whole owes to Huet (as well as all other players) is paid in dollars. Team always comes first. They don’t owe much of anything else. These are professional players. In the amateurs’ world, what you say is valid but not w/the professionals. It’s harsh but that’s the way it is.

That’s what I’ve been saying about the situation concerning Ryder too. We all may have our favourite players that we like to see play and excel, but the bottom line is, it’s not about them, it’s about the team and winning.

Accordingly sometimes some players feelings may get hurt blah blah, that doesn’t change the primary fact.

Huet will have plenty of chances to shine. If nothing else he can shine in the all star game for everybody to see, as that game is bound to be more offence than D with lots of goals. So the saves he can make against the elite players will show everybody what he’s capable of.

Ali B.

33. Chorske says:

Tell me about it. I have both Drury and Jagr in my fantasy team. What a disappointment those two have been. You’re right about buying a cup- although at this stage I’ll settle for any kind of cup: earned, bought, stolen, rented…

34. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

you are correct, he did see the ice for 1 period.

and I agree, even that was a learning experience for Price…its
    82 games and your not going to win everyone…move forward.

and thats what Huet should be thinking, there is a boat load of games to go, not to worry, he’ll get plenty of ice.

The only way Carb should consider “rushing” Huet is if Price was 0-4.

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

35. HNS says:

Right now Price has the hot hand and must be played until otherwise. Not a question of who can get the job done, just a matter of letting it ride. Price in net till a loss occurs. Easy and just call for the benefit of the team.

36. Forlando says:

I agree with Carbo’s goalie decision.

When the season started Price had a lot more pressure, he was the new guy, lots of people compared him to Roy, some even said he was better. That is why Carbo used him in the road before using him at home, so he could adjust to the pressure in a better way…and he did.

Now, the situation is completely different, Price is becoming more and more confident, he has adjusted his game and is much better than at the beggining of the season. Huet is coming from an injury and now the pressure is on him because the kid might be starting to outperform him (we will see) so Carbo is doing the same thing, he will play Huet in the road where he will face a lot less pressure.

Just imagine if he gives 2 or 3 bad goals at home and the fans start singing “Price, Price, Price!!!”

I think Carbo is doing the smart thing.

37. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

good point about the Road and Home games.
    and you know the home fans will chant PRICE PRICE if things got sour.

We are starting to see the logic behind CARB, question, how much of it is Gainey?

MR.DAVE STUBBS,
    does the “CARB-GAINEY COLLECTIVE” play a greater role in Carbs decisions than you would normally see in the NHL?

(or is this an unfair question to ask and should be kept behind doors.)

I wouldn’t see it as demeaning to Carb, it is the great Gainey he is confiding in after all.

HOW MUCH OF A “GAINEY” influence is cast on CARB in these decisions…?

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

38. Moey says:

Poor Breezer is on his last legs, but you gotta give him kudos for having the guts and heart to sign here again. I guess the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, I guess Carbo figured he had a couple of races left in him, but I’m sure he’ll be out to pasture next season. Also bear in mind he was on the ’93 team along with Carbo, he does have his value in experience for the younger guys. But he should have less ice time now that the younger guys are stepping up.

39. Smart Dog says:

His injuries have injuries.

Do his mistakes make mistakes? Oh…that wasn’t nice.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

40. johnnyhab says:

I agree with Carbo on this one…you got to go with the hot hand..It’s good to see Huets competitive edge showing. If this team plays a full 60 like they did on saturday another 2 pts for sure.

41. Naila Jinnah says:

LOVE the picture!

42. hhl says:

how long is happy hour?

43. The Cat says:

Its a good move by Carbonneau. Panthers are the bete noire of the habs, they have our number.

44. Naila Jinnah says:

Seeing Price live in action two games in a row? Priceless.

45. skoehn says:

THIS SUCKS HUET DESERVES BETTER TREATMENT THEN CARBO AND THE CANADIENS GIVE HIM…. THEY SAY HE IS #1 BUT TREAT HIM LIKE A BACK-UP YOU WILL ALL BE SORRY WHEN HUET LEAVES PRICE ISN’T READY AND HE WILL BE DRIVEN OUT BY FANS SOONER THEN LATER

46. Smart Dog says:

But not if you’re Huet.

I wonder if there’s a trade in the works.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

47. Smart Dog says:

Hey buddy – don’t beat around the bush. Tell us how you really feel.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

48. showey47 says:

If garth murray comes back to montreal and sticks it to us like bonk did (and how so many other former habs do) i’m officially going on a one month bender on nothing but crown royal

49. Leclerc1965 says:

Somebody didn’t get their meds today.

50. Dave Stubbs says:

If I’m not mistaken, Garth Murray is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury suffered Dec. 7. But it would be like him to make a miraculous comeback tomorrow night and score the first hat trick of his career.

But you know what? I like Garth, a lot. An honest guy who did was he was asked, dropped ‘em when necessary and now doesn’t have to shovel snow. I wish him well, starting Wednesday.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

51. Leclerc1965 says:

I like Murray too Dave. Kind of reminds me a little of Chris Nilan (without that extra edge Nilan brought). Blue collar guy that would take a bullet for any guy on this team.

52. showey47 says:

i agree mr. stubbs i have the upmost respect for garth, he did what was asked of him and didn’t complain about his role or lack of it when he spent most nights as a healthy scratch. I to wish him luck, just not against us.

53. Haber for life says:

Ok a couple of quick points:

(1) I’m still not a fan of Carb (read some of my previous posts)… I think the team is actually playing a different style than what he wants them to play, and thank god….cause that defensive crap was gonna kill us. Maybe Gainy pointed out to him that we’re a fast skatng team and not a grinding team and he saw the light. Anyhow, I really hope he leaves the top 2 lines together….this next stretch will show us if Carb knows what he’s doing behind the bench…if he keeps things the same, keep the young guys there (Lap, Obyrne, SK) even if they lose a couple and has faith in them, then it’s good…if he puts that deadbeat Breezbye and Smolinski back in a send the young guys back down…then he’s a complete idiot. We shall see.

(2) On the other hand, I totally agree with him giving Price the start again….it’s a smart move and one the Huet (whom I love) will understand. Anyone who’s played competitive sports will tell you, Huet will be disappointed but will ultimately realize it’s the right choice. He was injured, Price played awesome and the team is on a roll. The coach is almost obligated in this case to go with the hot hand…its the smart thing…and you know what, if Price wins again, keep going with him. Would anyone complain if he kept winning? Can Huet really say “Hey, I know Price has won 5 in a row, but I should play”? Heck, if he wins every game from here on in, just go with it.

And a couple of late comments on the Leafs game: We beat those guys like they owed us money! That was great….the sequence where Saku’s line held it in their zone for almost 5 hours (felt like it…I was laughing at my TV so loud, you should have seen my wifes face!). And them there was the 3-hit sequence…. Hamerlik layed out a guy first in our zone, then Komi almost took a guys head off by the blue line, and then another Hab flattened Leaf behind our net (all within a few seconds)….again I was screaming at my TV. Who says we have a small team….a team is measured by the size of their heart, and we have some heart now…. led by the bravest, gutsiest of them all….Captain K…. I would not trade his heart for any sized man in the league…I hope he stays a Hab for life!

54. sidhu says:

The Habs played their best game of the season on Saturday — if it ain’t broke….

I hope Carbo keeps the lineup and the lines the same. That means Lats should sit, even if he’s healthy.

55. P St. Pierre says:

I think it’s a smart move by Carbonneau (or if you prefer, Gainey) to play Price against the Panthers. The Canadiens always seem to have a hard time with this team. They usually have a hard time with the Leafs and Price is now 3-0 against them. If he’s your future, you might as well start him in those situations where you know your team struggles. I hope to see him excel again tomorrow night.

Poor Huet. He’s in a no-win situation. Yeah, he still might be the #1 on paper, but everyone (players, Price, Gainey, Carbo, even the city) knows that this team is slowly becoming Carey Price’s team. They did not play Halak in one game after Huet got hurt, despite some lukewarm performances. Huet’s been a great goalie for this team, but his time in Montreal is limited. I feel bad for him, because he’s a great person and a great player.

56. Naila Jinnah says:

Murray was also on my “nice” list. It’s unfortunate that there was no room for him on the roster, even when he did (nearly) everything right!

57. nightmare_49 says:

We shouldn’t worry about who is starting for the Habs but how we are going to beat Panther’s goalie Thomas Vokoun if he’s on his game and we know that when he’s on he’s as good as it gets but when he’s not he’s just another Aebischer in disguise.

58. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

I agree with Carbo’s decision with starting Price. Why rush Huet back? I don’t think it’s in the best interests of the club to have him further injure himself. Say he does injure himself….well then we also lose a highly coveted player that could be traded. Don’t get me wrong, I love Huet. He’s kept us in so many games with so many spectacular saves. I can’t believe this dance between goalies goes on forever.

59. gmd says:

Hi Dave,

How do you know that Huet “isn’t overjoyed” about not getting the start? Did Huet say something?

60. habsfan_56 says:

i agree with carbs on this one
    also i am amazed with how much Price has improved from the beginning of the season.
    I remember Price being weak in the five hole and staying in his crease too much. Giving him multiple games in a row has not only improved his play but now he also attempts those long passes to restart the offense.

61. Sulemaan says:

I think Huet has gotten good treatment from Montreal but you go with the hot hand. If you look at games earlier the season when Huet was playing well, Price rode the pine and didn’t complain once. I do hope that you wrong about the fans driving out Price because we should have learned what happened after we drove the last all-star goalie out of Montreal.

62. Sulemaan says:

You might be right SD. Both Halak and Danis would make decent back-ups but I wouldn’t trade Huet just yet because there is still a fair bit of the season left…

63. WindsorHab-10 says:

With our longest road trip of the year coming up and a couple of back to back games, Huet will have his share of playing time. Right now we must go with the hot hand and Carey Price has earned his start tomorrow. Lucky to have 2 quality goalies and hopefully the team will keep their commitment to playing 60 minutes each game.

64. WindsorHab-10 says:

Love your posts Timo, I have the same feeling too.

65. Xtrahabsfan says:

Huet and Ryder are owed a round of thanks for they’re years of service by the Great Fans of Les Canadiens,that being said,it’s time for them too move on for the sake of thier careers”please take Smoke and Breeser with you”and may the force be with you,salute…

66. Chorske says:

Apparently he’s not making any bones about letting people know- RDS has several comments about him being disappointed (‘decu’) to not get the Florida start.

I’m not surprised with his reaction, the guy is a pro and he’s hungry to be back on the ice. It would be weird if he wasn’t chomping at the bit for a start. Here’s hoping Carbo starts him against Washington.

67. skoehn says:

that is very rude and i am offended by your comment

68. skoehn says:

Huet isn’t going to stay why would he… his is under appreciated and treated badly..

69. Robert L says:

Attention Dave Stubbs and all HIO readers:

If you thought Guy Lafleur’s “four fourth lines” quote about the Canadiens from two weeks ago was inflammatory, his December 16th column in Le Journal De Montreal about Saku Koivu needing a change of scenery is outright journalistic dynamite.

This column really snuck under the radar, as it was published on Sunday, after the Canadiens had won a pair of games and seemed to see a light at the end of the tunnel of an elongated losing streak. That Koivu scored 2 goals while Lafleur was likely writing this is perversely ironic.

This is a must read!

Dave – I kindly urge you to allow this to be a headline story at HIO – it is worthy of it, to be sure. Thank you in advance.

Lafleur Deems Koivu A Montreal Burnout Case

70. skoehn says:

So you consider being sat after a shut-out fair…. Huet was playing as well as price and he was sat the nest game… price has played the last six games 4 of which he was not playing well and was pulled if the situation was reversed Price wouldn’t be sitting… Good treatment I don’t think so… I like Price he is a great goalie but when he get shaky all goalies due fans are going to eat him alive he is young and is hopefully going to be the “franchise Goalie” He is also not stupid he can see whats happening to Huet by fans, media, coaches…Not to mention the other “franchiseGoalies” from the past…As a young 20yr old who could potentially go play anywhere why would you stay in a pressure cooker only to be discarded when the fans find someone they like better. In order to have a Franchise Goalie you have to be willing to standby him in good season and in bad seasons like jersey does for Marty. I am not sure montreal can do that…

71. Ed says:

Thanks Robert for the column. It is indeed an interesting read, but it’s too bad that Lafleur did not mention all the charitable work that Koivu has done for the community. That aside, I think that he is probably right about both Koivu & Ryder.

72. mrstewart61 says:

Just an observation – Latendresse is tied for fourth on the team in goals scored.

73. yehaken says:

I really hope that all of the Koivu haters, Lafleur included, will sample the crow tartare before Koivu hangs up the skates. It takes a team to win. You can’t build a franchise around anyone. Los Angeles tried with Gretzky, remember? Maybe a goalie can get it done alone, but Mario never won without Jagr, and Gretzky never won without Messier. This guy goes through one bad streak and people are ready to trade him for a coaster like Marleau?

Koivu has 24 points in 32 games. Marleau has 15 points on a great team. Koivu has had tremendous patience with Montreal, can we at least return the favour?

74. joe-hab-nuno says:

I agree. I noticed he was week with the five hole too in his first couple of games. I remember saying “wow this kid is really cool in front of the net but gotta fix the 5 hole”. Now he has to adjust and fix the high blocker side and come out a bit, maybe that is whay the puck is going in blocker side cuz he’s too close to the net.

75. earl says:

A lot of hyperbole in that article – a team in reverse, a need for a new face to “breath new life”, “time is done in Montreal” blah blah blah.

Nothing could be further from the truth – this is a non story.

This may resonate with certain slothful thinkers but most people realize that you can’t improve your hockey team by trading your best player.

What *is* apparent is that Koivu needs help. He almost always has. The extent to which Gainey is working to deal with that issue is apparent in the month of July.

What Gainey is willing to do in December is perhaps another thing, however ravaging the team’s depth with multi-player deals is not on his planned to-do list.

We will see how it plays out but one thing is for sure – for the time being Montreal’s success and Koivu’s success are linked.

76. ColoradoHab says:

I think Huet is still our #1, but Price has exceeded expectations so far and appears to be gaining steam.

I feel quite certain that Huet will not be in Montreal next year. He will most likely be moved at the deadline or even sooner if the right deal comes along.

As far as who should be starting any game at this time is a coaching decision and I don’t think it is decided by who’s better, or who is #1. I think it has more to do with the team we are facing.

Florida likes to dump and forecheck and Price’s superior puck handling makes him the better choice to face that style.

Furthermore, a little extra rest for Huet coming back from a groin injury is a good thing.

77. Robert L says:

Earl, I don’t necessarily agree with Lafleur either, and you are correct in a great many points you make. Gainey’s hands are tied much more at present that in July and Koivu and the team’s destiny are intertwined for the remainder of the year.

Koivu’s help might just be Sergei Kostitsyn. I think that after a few games, these two combined with Higgins, will fir like a glove and start to play like a true top line without question.

I wouldn’t term Lafleur’s newest rant a non-story though. Be it ironic or just plain perverse, the timing of Guy’s column makes it newsworthy. His take is kind of the flipside to Beliveau’s leadership views from a week back.

78. Robert L says:

Lafleur’s POV is always interesting, but as much as I love him (still my all time fav Hab), he needs to accentuate on some positive slants at times. He’s good for pointing out problems, but his solutions are thin and full of holes. If he were GM, and God help us, he would be hard pressed to fix the things of which he speaks.

having said that, I believe he’s dead on about Ryder.

79. Girth says:

Carbo publicly acknowledged Huet’s frustration, in fact, he said he’d be disappointed if he wasn’t upset.

80. Girth says:

I personally don’t read too much into this decision. After all, there are 3 more games to play this week alone. Certainly, Huet will get his opportunity to re-establish his position as #1. I hope he is so upset he shows flashes of what got him the job in the first place.

Remember, he has reacted well in similar situations in the past.

However, if it doesn’t work… it’s Carbo will be on the hot seat, not Bob.

No pressure Carey!

81. Bouleau noir says:

Either goaly would be just fine a choice.

Its the team playing in front that has been our issue this season and the sole reason behind our loosing record of the last 3 weeks.

Our team’s play has been our weakness thus far and had some catching up to do in order to match the even performances we have been getting in goal.

Solid goaltending was never put in doubt when our season started and we have an absolute garanty that it will remain the same until the bitter end if we keep the pair for the season… and post-season.

Our chief concern at the beginning was our team’s lack of offense…. this predicament was right-on but remained off set once again by the same formula we used last season…. excellent PP + solid goaltending performances.

Now we know from last season that this fortunate combination of ours will not cut it out all alone and that our 5-on-5 will need to rise up if we want to avoid a repeating of the lethargique slump we just got over with… a meager two games ago.

I believe that we finally have the tools necessary in our roster for our 5-on-5 game to compete at equal level with any team out there.

O’Byrne and Lapierre are solid addition wherea the addition of Sergei to our top lines is the crucial piece that had our team longing for in order to move beyong the subpar 5-on-5 play that has afflicted their
    game for years.

A team needs two ressourcfull offensive lines in their make up to be a good competitive team and I feel secure that our top lines have now reached an offensive prowess status that will have our team fight for higher groungs than itherto anticipated.

They might be just kids but Koivu and Kovalev playing with them is all they really need to play and perform at their very best…. and by doing so transformed our team’s profile once for all.

82. JF says:

I agree. If they play the way they did against Philly and Toronto, they have a good chance of winning with either Huet or Price in nets. In case people have forgotten, our only victory over the Panthers last year was a 1-0 shootout win with Huet in goal.

Don’t underestimate the Capitals. They played a very good game against Detroit last night.

83. Bill says:

It doesn’t matter who starts against Florida. Both are capable of giving the Habs a win as long as the team shows up as it did the past two games, and both are capable of losing if they do not. Huet is bound to have a little rust, and he’ll have to shake it off sometime. I guess Washington is a better bet, given their dismal play, but Ovechkin is hot, so who knows? Anyway, as I said at the beginning, who plays between Huet and Price is far less important than which of the two Habs teams we’ve been watching this year shows up. They win and lose by that.

84. Fabio D says:

And so it begins….Huet is having a problem with Carbonneau. He should be starting. And if he’s showing his unhappiness after carrying the load for the last 2 seasons, he has every right to.

CarbIDon’tKneau will alienate his players and it will impact their performance.

Huet needs to get his game legs back and Florida is the team to do it against.

Tough week ahead with Fla, Was, Atl and Dallas.

4 possible wins and if they pull it off, a good way to go into the Christmas break.

Go Habs Go

85. kevinhabs says:

I don’t agree with the statement about Huet getting his legs back and Florida would be a good team do it against. The Panthers are rising in the Southeast and have a hot goalie in Vokoun. We blew it against them at home earlier in the year as well. I agree with the decision to put a hot goalie in like Price. Save Huet for the worst team in the East, Washington, on Thursday Night.

86. yukonhab says:

When Price wins against Florida, Huet won’t be overly happy also. Price is coming into form at the right time.
    GO HABS GO!!!

87. J.T. says:

Poor Breezer’s just falling apart at the seams. His worn-out old hockey body can’t take this anymore, and he should retire for his own health’s and the team’s sake. He’s a good guy, but it may be time to sink or swim with the younger D.

Too bad Huet’s mad. I guess he’s really not cut out to be a backup…and dreams of signing him for another year or two to ease Price into the starter’s role are just that: dreams.

88. habfan2010 says:

Agree. Pack it in breezer.

–habfan2010–
    “Still the last canadian team to win a cup”

89. Jay_in_PA says:

Only Brisebois could injure himself while rehabbing an injury. Well, except for Benoit Brunet, who was equally injury-prone.

90. saku11 says:

I wonder if any teams have offered anything to BG for Huet.

91. Geoff F says:

Anyone sensing the trade winds are getting stronger? I’m not trying to start any rumours but i just have a weird feeling about this. Maybe someone can shake Bob a bit and see if anything suspicious falls out of his pockets. lol.

In any event i hope that there isn’t anything brewing. I don’t think i can deal with trading Huet. It’s merely a personal thing as i really like the guy and the way he stands up for the team and the organization…he’s a classy guy. If he were traded it would just leave a bad taste in my mouth! (I know it’s business but it doesn’t make me feel any better.)

92. RS says:

Sensing the trade winds getting stronger? NO. Certainly not involving Huet. It is not going to happen.

If an offer came for Ryder, Gainey would go for it, except for the fact that the Habs have too many injuries and Gainey doesn’t want to lose a body.

93. TommyB says:

I doubt if there is anything “real” brewing right now. Isn’t Wednesday the beginning of the holiday trading freeze? Like you, I am never thrilled to see a good soldier such as Huet traded, but business is business and Huet’s moving on is inevitable at some point. I am comfortable knowing that we have a solid goaltender to take his place when he does eventually leave.

Huet certainly is not happy to become a backup, and I’m not saying that is what he has become, I’m only saying that may be the way he sees it, but he had to know it could come to this (Price being chosen over him to start even if he is healthy now). Hey, that’s hockey. Huet’s turn to retake the top spot will come again, and very soon no doubt. So, Cristobal….relax.

94. Wops says:

With Price’s stat in the past 5 games, it was almost impossible to move him.

Except the game where the team did not show up against the Canes, he has been solid.

Plus, he really helps is defenders against bigger teams with his puck-handling skills. The dump and chase is harder to establish with Price and net.

Florida comes in with big centers, good choice by Carbo, even if it was a tough call.

IMO
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

95. krob1000 says:

There are two ways this can be looked at and I hope Cristobal understands the second and I hope Carbo states the second. The most obvious reason and one that will dominate the media if Huet speaks out is that Price is stealing his job and the resulting eruption could be trouble. The reason that I am hoping this is being done foe is actually the more logical move and the more likely scenario.

If Carbo rushes Huet and he gets injured long term people will ask why he brought him back too early. A few games ago with Price struggling a bit I think there was more urgency but now the team has bought Carbo a reprive. He can wait with Huet and ensure his health is optimal and a t the same time get a better look at Price. You can be certain that Carbo will handle this situation delicately as this hasa been the most volatile undercurrent with this team aside from the Rydergate ordeal. Everyone has been trying to brew up a goalie controversy (like they did in Ottawa) and we have managed to steer clear.

As long as Huet remains calm one of two things will happen. He will either make the all star team and assume his rightful position as starter (which I’d prefer) or he will be traded as an all star goalie and provide us with a decent return(I’d ratherr he resigned but it is understandable from his perspective that this could be his last big contract) . One has to look no further than Ottawa or Detroit (pretty good role models) to see the value in having two really good goaltenders.

No matter how this plays out it is essential for Huet and Carbo to not reveal their cards to the media or let loose with any emotion based tirades. We finally have turned the ship around and this is the last thing we need.

96. J.T. says:

Not just that…Florida is also a strong dump-and-chase and forechecking team. Price’s puck handling helped a lot against a similar-style team in Toronto. It makes a huge difference to have a goalie act as almost a third D back there to help eliminate the dump-in. Price was a big part of the team’s transition game in the last couple of matches. And outside of Jokinen, if they force Florida to carry the puck more often than dump it in, there will be turnovers and frustration in the O-zone for the Panthers. It was a tough call, but considering the opponent, I think Carbo did the right thing. I’d expect to see Huet on fire against the Caps though, just because now he’s got something to prove.

97. TommyB says:

Good observation JT, and Florida seems to always give us a rough time. It’s never easy against them.

I think it is good to continue with Price for at least this one more game, personally I’d ride him for a longer stretch. He has played very well, and not just in the last two games which we have won. However, if anyone needs an excuse to stay with Price then the fact that the last two games were games very well played by the entire team, and I see no reason to make any changes at all at this time. We may have just pulled out of a frustrating slump, and Carey Price was certainly a big part of it. This is no time to be concerning ourselves with Huet’s, or anyone’s, hurt pride. It’s time to build on what should be a much needed shot of momentum. We got Saku scoring, and maybe Ryder will pot one or two next game as well. Let’s keep it going.

98. hhl says:

he’s adjusting.giving him a # of games to play has allowed him to improve.the only bad goals he gave up in the last two games didnt matter.and he will learn from that as well.as ive said, ive never seen a goalie quite like him.all his weaknesses can be corrected.and there arent many.his strenghts,that he has many.more than most.best goaltender drafted since roy.and he’s more a complete package can cover more space than hasek.

99. moser17 says:

Okay: but I’m still just a little nervous on those high shots to the blocker side.

100. Smart Dog says:

An offer for Ryder? I can’t see that happening.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

101. hhl says:

one other thing huet is not worth spit if he reinjures himself long term.yet if mtl wants to showcase him, hes gonna have to play, and hopfully do well.so maybe him becoming #2 isnt so bad for the team

102. RH says:

That was weird. Anyway, as I was typing, the problem isn’t in net against the Panthers.

103. hhl says:

i apologize for drooling all over price.but i am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that this dude’s the real deal.and no kopitar,crosby stills or nash will convince me otherwise. go habs gooooooooooooo