Price gets call over Huet for Panthers

Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau announced today that Carey Price will start tomorrow vs. the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre, getting the nod for his good work of late.

Cristobal Huet, who backed up Price Saturday vs. Toronto, will fill the same role tomorrow, and he isn’t overjoyed with the idea, having been widely believed to be getting the start. But Carbonneau wants Huet to get another few days of practice before returning to action, having sat out the past six games with a groin injury.

Guillaume Latendresse practised at Verdun with his teammates, but will be a game-time decision, having suffered what’s reported to have been an upper-body injury last Thursday in Philadelphia. Defenceman Patrice Brisebois practised as well, rehabbing a shoulder injury, but left early and won’t be in the lineup.

1. idle says:

I agree that Halak should have started that game. I think the fact that he had some troubles for the first time the previous game added some nervousness to the situation. I also remember how amazing Huet played in the first period. I don’t fault Huet for that game, he should not have been thrown into a ‘one off’ live or die game right after sitting so long with an injury. Also for everyone who has been responding to Mattee’s post by saying that it is not about Huet it is about the TEAM, I hope you remember that it was a team breakdown that lead to that loss not Huet.

2. joe-hab-nuno says:

didn’t lundquist from ranger’s win last year?

3. A. Berke says:

Accepted and am glad that now you understand where I was coming from. Insulting people is not my thing.

Ali B.

Without a doubt. The only reason the Habs were there at the end was because of Halak’s play – the guy was on a hot streak. Huet was shaky all game and indirectly allowed for a momentum shift after we basically had the Lousy Leafs on the ropes. You should always ride a hot goalie for as long as you can.

The Original 24 Cups

5. Mattee. says:

haha, well I guess I’m the only one. I know it’s all about winning, but mistreat your players and it comes back to bite you. Remember, Montreal is already having a hard enough time attracting players, you don’t want to give UFA’s one more reason to stay away from here.

6. showey47 says:

i agree, you go with the guy who got you there. A month before the end of the season last year, the habs were totally written off and halak pretty much on his own gave us a hope of making the playoffs. Huet hadn’t played in 2 months and gets thrown into the most important game of the year when only playing one period the game before?

If halak played we would of won and the game would not of even been close.

7. linp says:

I would say that if there are two games in two nights, it is better to play both goalies. When a goalie is tired, it is more likely to get hurt.

8. A. Berke says:

Yes Ian, you’re right, it’s part of the learning curve.

In fact Luongo had only one shutout in his first season and Brodeur got zero!
    Price is good and will be great with hard work and patience.

Ali B.

9. A. Berke says:

What the Habs as a whole owes to Huet (as well as all other players) is paid in dollars. Team always comes first. They don’t owe much of anything else. These are professional players. In the amateurs’ world, what you say is valid but not w/the professionals. It’s harsh but that’s the way it is.

That’s what I’ve been saying about the situation concerning Ryder too. We all may have our favourite players that we like to see play and excel, but the bottom line is, it’s not about them, it’s about the team and winning.

Accordingly sometimes some players feelings may get hurt blah blah, that doesn’t change the primary fact.

Huet will have plenty of chances to shine. If nothing else he can shine in the all star game for everybody to see, as that game is bound to be more offence than D with lots of goals. So the saves he can make against the elite players will show everybody what he’s capable of.

Ali B.

10. Chorske says:

Tell me about it. I have both Drury and Jagr in my fantasy team. What a disappointment those two have been. You’re right about buying a cup- although at this stage I’ll settle for any kind of cup: earned, bought, stolen, rented…

11. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

you are correct, he did see the ice for 1 period.

and I agree, even that was a learning experience for Price…its
    82 games and your not going to win everyone…move forward.

and thats what Huet should be thinking, there is a boat load of games to go, not to worry, he’ll get plenty of ice.

The only way Carb should consider “rushing” Huet is if Price was 0-4.

until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

12. hhl says:

i agree with you on ryder’s foot the thing about the powerplay is that last year, they simply kept feeding souray the puck and chasing the rebounds.this year they seem to be incorporating different styles utilising their speed more effectively making it more difficult to defend againts.thus whomever is playing the point will not get as many shots in as what souray got last for the price huet combo,i would think that carbo will play huet at some point this week.but also may go with the hot goalie if huet struggles.n right now that is price.with playing time ,i see price as only getting better.i agree that huet deserves starter status. but does that mean that price dosen’t? n price is the future of this club. ive never seen a goalie quite like price calm n confident.better puck handler than what hextall was.but hextall had no style.i can see that the team is starting to become more comfortable and more confident with price in net.and hes only 20.hope he has a trophy case picked out.and a real big one at that.cause hes gonna need one.

13. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

but its not about HUET and his contract (new) – its about winning.

case in point, last year it was HALAK who carried the team on his back during the final weeks when Huet was nursing the same injury, and it came down to the final game against those laffs and Carb because of all the things you’ve said in your post, respect, honor, whats fair….went and started HUET, and WHAT HAPPENED?…going into the 3rd with a 3 goal lead and we lost!

CARB doesn’t make the same mistake twice, thats why he was a GREAT defensive player, beat him once, but NEVER TWICE.

No doubt Price has the upper hand now, he stood up when called (Huet injury) … Halak didnt even see the ice.

at present I don’t see them going back to 50-50 playing. Huet better make sure he is 110% because he has a Phenom beside him…thats why CARB is calling the shots for Huet.

until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

14. saku11 says:

Patrick Kane R CHI 8 goals 23 assists
    Jonathan Toews C CHI 12 goals 13 assists
    Nicklas Backstrom C WSH 5 goals 16 assists
    Tobias Enstrom D ATL 32 3 goals 15 assists

I think if Price continues to play as he has the past few games, he could definitely win the Calder. I’m not sure if we want him to , the last goalie to win the Calder was Andrew Raycroft I think and we all know how he turned out. Seriously though, it would be the first of many trophies Carey Price wins in his career. The kid is money. I love how he sounds borderline comatose in his interviews too, it’s hilarious.

15. LeClair says:

I strongly believe this is a good call by carbo. Price has faced like 60 shots the last two games and has only given up two late meaningless goals. Don’t get me wrong I believe Huet is probably the best goalie right now for the organization and will eventually again be the starter (which he deserves). I think he will start against washington and i bet he even plays 7 or 8 of the teams next 10 games after Tuesday night. I am also surprised that Huet made any form of comment as he is usually soft spoken and does what the coach says. I think he will realize that this is not carbo’s way of telling him Price is the starter.
    Finally I would like to mention the Ryder situation. He lacks the foot speed to play as a top 9 forward but he does have that great shot (especially the release)and is effective on the powerplay. So once again he should be on the fourth line but the first powerplay unit and be set up much like souray was last year. I would like comments on this because last year I was called an idiot and told I didn’t know what I was talking about. Then he ended up with thirty goals (18 on the powerplay) and was a -25 (estimated can’t remember off the top of my head) at even strength.

16. moser17 says:

quick correction on your otherwise sober comments, H-P: Halak did see the ice, in the third period against the Hurricanes on Dec 9. Price got taken for four goals in 30 shots and 40 minutes, and Halak allowed a goal on six shots in the final 20. That game was out of reach anyway, given how the fellas were playing. And it was good, in my opinion, for Price to get yanked early, get it out of his system, see that life goes on and realize that one yank doesn’t mean anything next to his accomplishments and potential.

17. RS says:

I have no problem with the Habs keeping Huet for the rest of the season (and a big playoff run, of course), then wishing him well on the free agent market.

18. Vincent is possible says:

All I have to say is YEAAAAAAH!!!!! Brisbois out; Price in! What else could you want? Okay one more thing for Christmas….

19. Dan23 says:

Huet is going to play eventually, and I’m sure the possibility of becoming #2 will motivate him that much more.

Based my own knowledge, I would have expected Huet to play tomorrow night. That said, it is a busy week for the Habs (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday), so I guess they want Huet 150% so he can play at least 2 of those games.

20. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

You play PRICE…no question, he is playing GREAT, Huet is coming back from an injury, NO RUSH!, a simple no BRAINER DECISION!

In fact the only thing that should get HUET into the net is when PRICE needs a rest OR if Price goes flat.

When is a rest mandatory? after 5 straight? 20 Straight?
    If Price can put 20 Wins on the column then you go with PRICE FOR 20 GAMES STRAIGHT.

TEAM WINNING FIRST – Goalies feelings LAST.

until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

21. Sbah Reverof says:

Must there always be a controversy? Price is playing well and is better suited to the Florida game. Huet’s groin injury ust be taken seriously, else he could be out for a long time, and it would be better to ease him back in. We have to get as many points as possible before our next slump, be it 2 or 6 games, and everybody starts screaming bloody murder. Enjoy the good times while they’re here, and allow the guys to play fun, stress-free hockey.

22. Mattee. says:

I’m going to have to disagree with you Hab-Professor, which is rare, we usually have similar thoughts.

I simply don’t think it’s right/fair/respectful/honourable to take your number 1 goalie for two years and ask him to be a number 2 because you need to develop the “future”. Huet carried this team on his own for so long and now he is in his contract year and he needs to play. He needs to play and impress so he can get that multi-year contract he deserves. The Montreal Canadiens organization (namely Carbo) OWE it to him. Yes, they owe it to him to make him look good even though the possibilities of him returning are close to none (IMHO). Also, he is playing well, he hasn’t lost the number one position yet. If the team feels they don’t need Huet, they should trade him, for his sake.

Of course, whether he’s fit to play vs Florida or not is another issue.

23. Dan23 says:

I think Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews out of Chicago are front-runners for ROTY. Price could make a case for being in the Top 3, though.

24. Rocket Richard says:

You could only hope that Price gets better playing more nhl games.

I believe he will.

Looks like the kid is making his mark these days in the NHL.

Question: Besides Price, who are the other rookies in the NHL this year. Would be wonderful to see him as the rookie of the year player.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

The Rocket Richard – “you must hate to lose”
    Read and Research Thousands of Articles Here

We don’t want him! We have our own to win with. Our kids were drafted by us, for us. Just look at N.Y. Rangers today, trying to buy a cup fails everytime. Draft and develope our own, look how many bulldogs are on the squad now ! We are coming along slow and sure. Two more years and we will be fighting it out at the top without bringing in anyone. If anyone leaves, it will only be for draft choices. Grow your own family is the only way to the top.

26. says:

As said earlier. Huet is coming off an injury and we have 4 games this week. Looks like Bob (cough) I mean Guy made the right decision.
    God Bless Our Infantry
    Death to the Taliban

I can understand Huet being a little peeved – what competitive player wouldn’t be? But groin injuries can be tricky and you really want him to be fully healed and have lots of practice time to test it out before he comes back. Over-extending himself to make that one dazzling save could put Huet back on the shelf for another month. He should bide his time until the weekend.

It will only be a controversy if the media and fans turn it into one. Besides, a smart coach always goes with a hot hand in net.

The Original 24 Cups

Hi TommyB, Yep! play him until he looses and then Huet until he looses. Price lost his own shutout last game, with just a little lack of focus. He is playing very well but shutouts in this league are never given! Learning curve.

29. Ed says:

TSN has today moved Montreal’s ranking back up to 8th. I included Dallas’ ranking because Ribeiro is mentioned for Dallas, & then Niinimaa is mentioned in the analysis of Montreal. Also, Price and Huet are both mentioned.

“Dallas – Ranked 7th – Record 18-11-4
    Mike Ribeiro’s really responded well since arriving from Montreal last year. He plays a more complete game and has seen a solid increase in ice time to correspond with his team-best production, which includes nine points in the last four games.
    Key Injuries: D Philippe Boucher (shoulder), RW Jere Lehtinen (sports hernia).

Montreal – Ranked 8th – Record 16-11-5
    No mention of Janne Niinimaa here, but the Canadiens move back up with the return of Cristobal Huet gives the Habs a nice 1-2 punch after Carey Price went 3-1-1 in five starts with Huet hurt.
    Key Injuries: None.”

30. joel says:

i agree with your assessment,, but the one thing that i love about this situation, is the fact that the coach has the luxury of being able to have a choice of 2 goalies, and not having to rush one because the other is not doing the job… it has been a while since we had that luxury

31. Geoff F says:

RS, fair enough but something has to happen to Huet between now and the end of the season otherwise we lose him to free agency. So i’m not so convinced. I think they may have something in the works and they are trying to preserve him so as not to reinjure himself. Kind of hard to trade a goalie with a groin injury.

In any event i don’t even want to think about it…

32. RS says:

Well some people (Hab fans being Hab fans) will make a mountain out of a mole hill, but basically Carbo want to make sure Huet’s groin is fully ready before he throws him out there again, Price is doing fine and Huet wants to play. No big deal.

It’s a borderline call. I would have gone with Huet, but there is no rush. You don’t want a lingering groin injury that never really heals.

I’d be worried if Huet wasn’t chopping at the bit. Huet is certainly not going to be traded in the short term. Huet will take back the #1 job once he is healthy. Price is developing nicely and will be number 1 next October.

Hopefully, Lats gets back in the line-up.

33. krob1000 says:

I think Huet is too classy to blame Price for playing well. I really think and hope this is more with regards to the injury and playing it safe like Columbus did with Leclaire and Ottawa should have (in fairness to them they tried but I think Emery probably said he was more ready than he was because of how well Gerber was playing). We have to resist temptation and go witht he injury viewpoint or we will be fuelling this and the more I write the more I think I just shouldn’t write. Something tells me this has 300 posts written all over it though.

34. Scotty90 says:

I hope Huet is not mad with Price for ‘trying to get his job’ and with Carbo for sitting him against the Panthers. Huet is coming off an injury… don’t rush. price is playing great… lets keep it going. We need all the wins we can get and if that means hurting peoples feelings in the process so be it. Players are all professionals and should be able to deal with this. The last thing we need is something new festering in the Canadiens camp and creating turmoil. I like Huet but if he is pissed and starts to create problems at camp… show him the door. After seeing the teams reaction with price after the last two wins, particularly Komi and Higgins, there is a great camaraderie there. Huet would be taking on the team… not a good move.