Habs’ Budaj will get fourth straight start against Kings

Carey Price, who has missed the last three games as a result of a lower-body injury suffered during the Sochi Olympics, didn’t take part in the Canadiens’ morning skate in Los Angeles before Monday night’s game against the Kings (10:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). That means Peter Budaj will get his fourth straight start in goal.

“Carey is still day-to-day,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in L.A. after the skate. “As soon as the medical staff feels he’s ready to start practising, he’s going to go on the ice, but obviously he was not today. He’s just doing treatment now.”

Brandon Prust (upper-body injury) and Michael Bournival (concussion) both took part in the morning skate but were wearing no-contact jerseys and won’t play against the Kings. George Parros is also not expected to play with Ryan White – who was sidelined with the flu – taking his spot in the lineup.

Defenceman Davis Drewiske cleared waivers Monday and was sent to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

GM Marc Bergevin wasn’t with the team in Los Angeles, instead going to Chicago following the death of his mother-in-law. He is expected to work the phones from Chicago through Wednesday’s NHL trade deadline.

Monday night’s game will be the second and final meeting of the season between the Kings and Canadiens after Los Angeles won 6-0 at the Bell Centre on Dec. 10.

After Monday’s game, the Canadiens play in Anaheim on Wednesday (10 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690), in Phoenix Thursday (9 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and in San Jose Saturday (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at the morning skate:

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Briere
Moen-White-Weise
Prust-Bournival-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Tinordi
Bouillon

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Kings Preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Habs’ Budaj proves he’s a battler, by Jack Todd

Budaj playing for logo on front of his jersey, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Olympic break was a boost for Kings, L.A. Times

1. Mattyleg says:

It’s a bit lonely on the new thread…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. Paz says:

Everyone would prefer to keep Markov for 1 yr, 2 yrs, and even some 3 yrs, but what about 4 years?

That is where this has broken down.

And I have yet to read 1 post, not 1, where the poster said he was comfortable giving Markov 4 years.

Mark Streit got 4 yrs last summer at the exact same age as Markov.

So?

4 years anyone? Anyone?

• Cal says:

Markov for 2 years and then extend 1 year at a time. This is how every 35+ contract should be handled, no matter who it is. I know you’re fixated on trading him away, but do you really think the return would be that great? Do you really think a contender is going to give up quality when they need that quality for a playoff run?

Right now, he is the PP general out there and not PK. He plays a good amount of minutes and is the club’s “iron man”. He is productive and is a + player. What’s not to like?

• habitunts1 says:

I would say three tops for the great service he has put in with the CH
      But I prefer two years. based on his injurys in the past and his age I would never go 4.

#10

If the dollars were reflective of him getting all that extra term I think I could live with that. BUt if were talking 6 per season, then 4 seems much. I recognize Streit got a very Streit friendly deal, he also had no loyalty to Philly, he was UFA looking for the most money and term he could find.

I do think the Markov situation is different.

3. Sportfan says:

If Price is gone for long do we get another goalie or mail it in send Gionta and others off?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Watching Leaf pregame show, wow painful, Kypreos and MacLean are simply horrible. They have their little staged yelling matches at each other.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…and We complain about Ron and Don …wait til next season

• monmick says:

That gives me a good idea for a new smart phone App. It would be interesting if there was an App that would allow you to listen to a game being broadcast on the radio, and then be able to sync the audio to match the images on a TV broadcast. Maybe something like that already exists…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Cal says:

All those yokels should be out of a job. Why is the NHL stuck with morons that are called “experts”? Ffs, Meeker knew more about playing the game than any of these jerks that are on the air these days.
      Former players like Weekes and Mclennan are prepared, but then the rest like Stock and Kypreos and Cherry and all the other no-minds rule the air waves with their version of how hockey is to be played: thuggery and goonery are “in” at CBC and Sportsnet, while Dreger the “insider” spouts off his crap every year around trade deadline day and Draft Day.
      With this kind of coverage, it’s no wonder the NHL is 4th among the major sports in the US.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I don’t think these yokels are seen on US broadcasts …but, I think IF they were, they perversely WOULD appeal to the US market

…these guyz would fit-into FOX News demographics to a T

…and FOX creams the television competition in the US

• Cal says:

TV ain’t what it used to be. People watch shit like Honey Booboo. Lowest common denominator tripe. When pseudo-reality shows became popular, it spelled the death knell for intelligent tv.
          That’s why I watch sports. :oops:

• boing007 says:

Howie Meeker was more informative as well.

Richard R

• Sportfan says:

Because of Nick Kypreos I will try my best in all my power to watch every Habs game not on Rogers sports net

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. monmick says:

Is Toker on the trip, or is Carey good enough to back-up?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

So what was the 6 PM habs-kings announcement? Or was it a false announcement about an announcement?

7. boonie says:

Budaj is under-appreciated. A few months back, I posted an analysis showing that Budaj outperformed Price (to that point in the season) more than any other backup compared to their #1 teammate.

People thought I was taking a shot at Price and skewered what I thought was some pretty solid objective, analytical work.

You don’t have to have a low SV% or GAA to be a top goalie. You have to make the save at the right time. Consider guys like Grant Fuhr – yes, it was a higher scoring era and he played with a team for the ages, but the guy knew how to win.

Budaj makes a nice (not spectacular) glove save in the dying minutes against Detroit a few nights back. The commentator didn’t make a big deal, but I made a mental note that save preserved an opportunity to tie the game. We came back to tie it. Budaj helped us to our one loser point in game in which Detroit dominated.

We are absolutely fine sans Carey. Chill.

[this is NOT Carey-bashing].

8. Plekasuares says:

Is everyone on the east coast staying up? I am. : )

9. jimmy shaker says:

The injured reserve things means he can’t come back until thursday vs the yotes…..no big problem…..budashe can handle the load. That would be 10 days off for pricer, if he comes back vs phoenix. Heck even let him wait till the sharks game on saturday night. Better to be safe than sorry.

Here’s hoping for kane, buff, vanek or moulson come wednesday.

Shaker out!

10. gmur says:

I know this has probably already been posted, but…

Markov has to stay with the Habs. The only way he should be traded is if his cap hit prevents the Habs from signing Subban long term.

Some may disagree, but Markov is an underrated defenceman here in Montreal… and in the league. He consistently makes perfect outlet passes, rarely gets outplayed in his zone or one-on-one, is a top-tier point man on the powerplay… Those defencemen are few and far between… plus, he’s a product of the organisation. The D-man who made me think of him on team Canada was Vlasic. Quiet, mobile, efficient, and steady as they come.

The way he plays, he could be around for 5-6 seasons to come. My sense is we would regret any trade for him very much.

11. A. Berke says:

“GM Marc Bergevin wasn’t with the team in Los Angeles. He is expected to work the phones from Chicago through Wednesday’s NHL trade deadline…..”
    What phones? Who is he going to call and who is going to call him?
    It’s puzzling really.

Ali B.

PS: Condolences for the passing of his mom in law.

12. habs_1978 says:

Created a whole new account to be able to post. For the love of all things good I hope this posts……

EDIT…FINALLY!

13. habs001 says:

If the Habs get 0 points on this road trip or 8 points it will have no bearing on their first round series if they make the playoffs….

14. Mattyleg says:

So…

Who’s staying up to watch the game?
    I’m thinking of PVR-ing it and watching it this evening at 7:30.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Ton says:

Looked at poll results…….wonder if we take the highly emotional PK fans out of the equation……Therrien likely would have a high approval rating given his great record.

16. the_larry says:

HIO Team, did you delete my post??

• Mattyleg says:

There are filters.
      If you use the word ban-ned or John-son (and some others that we haven’t identified) then it will not post.

Happens to us all the time.

(or if it’s deemed offensive)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• GrimJim says:

I saw it there but now it’s gone alright. It was funny but right on the edge, man.

• the_larry says:

Jeez I didn’t think it was even close to offensive. Yes, a bit dark, but the lingo was kept clean. Thanks though, I’ll keep that in mind!

Depends on the day bud, some nights far worse hangs around. Good news is you can still post.

CHeers

• the_larry says:

Lesson learned: Its a stiff PG-13 on here. I’ve had this account since 2007 but its been inactive since roughly 2010 so Im now getting back into it here. I don’t think I ever had a comment deleted once in those 3 years, and now my first one since then is canned. A cold welcome back here haha.

• HardHabits says:

Ahhhh. The halcyon daze when the west was wild and HIO stood for Habs Inside Out and water pistols were ablazin’ at the Big Owe Kay Corral thread.

• HabFab says:

The fight was half over by the time you showed up…

• HardHabits says:

And a good thing I showed up in time to mop up the mess. People still ask, “who was that masked man?”

17. Ton says:

My son just got back from watching the bull dogs practice at our local arena (promotional thing!) Beaulieu gave him his stick even though players are not allowed to do this due to there tight AHL budget! Nice guy to do this….as well Blunden, Leblanc were very friendly. Son says Sean Afroghetti (whatever his last name is) has very good hands!

18. on2ndthought says:

wouldn’t the habs issue a press statement/ update their website about Carey? I don’t see anything?
    never mind… it’s there now
    “a cannonading drive”

19. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If Stephane Robidas is healthy…why not? Perfect 5-6th RH D-man.

20. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Too soon….

Sorry, reply to a deleted post…LOL.

21. habitunts1 says:

If Markov signs on for two more years and Gionta dosnt sign after this season is there any chance the Habs would name him Captain over the other alternate captain Georges ?

#10

• Mike D says:

Although it’s just a rumour, Markov apparently turned the C down last time. He’s a very private guy so I could see it being true.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• habitunts1 says:

I thought I heard something like that to. I would prefer Pleks over Georges any day though. Markov is a unique person. He keeps very much to himself for sure.
        Thanks Mike

#10

22. Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t even want to comment on that one lol.

23. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Price being on IR backdated a few games results in cap relief, right? With DD2 in Hamilton, his $ also come off the books. Could be a move is afoot.

24. rhino514 says:

Habs advise that Price has been placed on injured reserve
    Does this mean he is going to be out for at least a couple of weeks?

ouch

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m a Conservative

26. habitunts1 says:

Budaj, you’re gonna carry that weight
    Carry that weight a long time
    Budaj, you’re gonna carry that weight
    Carry that weight a long time

Dethrone those Kings Budaj !

#10

27. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Bergevin is a genius! Other GMs will see the Chicago number on their caller ID, and think they’re talking with someone from the Hawks front office. He can trade 81 (Hossa) to some sucker GM for a superstar and send 81(Eller) instead.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…My impression of Pateryn was He has very good skating skills and His offense is surprisingly underestimated

…the negative, being for a player that is supposed to be 230+ pounds, He does not look that big, nor plays that ‘big’

29. Hobie Hansen says:

John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl 2m

#Habs advise that Price has been placed on injured reserve, retroactive to February 26.

from Los Angeles, CA

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…who would have thunk Putin would be so pissed following Russia’s out of the medals in Olympic hockey

…the ol’ kick your dog syndrome …unfortunately the Ukraine was the closest ‘dog’ in proximity to his boot

31. Hobie Hansen says:

Take it for what it’s worth. I don’t put too much weight into it. I heard Mitch Melnick, while sitting in traffic on the 417 in Ottawa, speaking with some schmuck from thefourthperiod.com.

The dude said that two teams have made substantial offers to the Habs for Andrei Markov and that Marc Bergevin has advised Markov that he’s only offering him two years max. So the ball is basically in Markov’s court.

Do I believe this rumor to be true, I’m not so sure? I really don’t visit sites like the above mentioned. All I’m saying is Melnick had this guy on his show and that’s what was said.

• BJ says:

We can’t afford not to get a return if he decided to sign long term somewhere else in the summer. Gainey set us back several years with his lack of foresight by not getting anything back on at least a dozen players. Even a fifth pick for lesser players could turn into a Gallagher. And certainly Koivu, Kovalev, Sourray to mention a few would have fetched higher picks.

• Habfan17 says:

I went to the site, all they seem to have is that the Habs and Markov are inching towards a contract and trading Markov was never an option.

Habfan17

• Paz says:

Why would Markov take two years if Streit got 4 years?

32. rhino514 says:

Budaj and the team have been miraculous so far, but having Budaj playing 3 NHL powerhouses on the road, including a back to back….well, that is asking a heck of alot. I´m pretty scared about the next 4 games and would GLADLY take 4 points right now…Even if they take 3, they are in good shape the rest of the way.
    But there is a real chance this week could be a disaster. I think they should just try and get to overtime the way they´ve been doing.

• CJ says:

I’m keeping an open mind, but your points certainly carry weight. This is a difficult test and will stretch our team to the limit. Budaj needs to be better, as do a number of players. Anything less then our best effort will result in a less then desirable outcome. 4 points over these 4 games would be very good. If they accumulate more, all the better. Realistically, if they pick up 3 points but the effort is there, then that will not be dissappointing either.

Of course, we expect them to win them all right? I will be watching. Go Habs!

• Kelectro says:

I agree. I think they’re actually doing alright, especially considering that Prust, Bournival, and Price are injured. Both have been really important parts to the balance of this team. Right now, on most nights, there seems to be a lack of balance and they’re still finding a way to win.

Hopefully those guys come back soon for some stability to the lineup.

“We done it!” – Patrick Roy

• JF says:

Budaj has played well enough the last three games, although he had a horrible start to the Pittsburgh game. But I know he can be better, and we have the proof from two years ago that he can play several games consecutively. Price had a concussion and missed the last six or seven games that year, and Budaj played very well in his place, maintaining a save percentage of about .920. But you’re right, the California trip will be tough.

• Lafleurguy says:

Budaj, in the last three games is playing like Carey did last year, a weak goal or two a game, and unbelievable saves at other times. Hey JF, luckily Budaj’s play didn’t move us down the draft order. :-)

33. rhino514 says:

Pateryn is plus seven while Tinordi and Beaulieu are minus players. Pateryn also with slightly more points than Beaulieu, much more than Tinordi, and leads both in goals by a lot. Beaulieu is also not nearly as big as the other two and there have been questions raises about his defensive ability and his maturity. He´s also a year younger than Tiny and roughly three younger than Pateryn.
    Has Beaulieu been overhyped? And has Pateryn not been given a fair shake? Does he have the kind of game that does not translate well to the NHL? He seems much more mature than the other kids and more polished.

• ffenliv says:

I’ll admit I don’t know much about Pateryn. I will say, though, that care needs to be used with +/-. It’s devoid of any context. Tinordi and Beaulieu might both be minuses, but it doesn’t give us any info about the strength of the opposition they’re out against.

• CH Marshall says:

No man, Beaulieu is good and will be excellent for us. I’m not worried about the maturity thing, in fact I kinda relished the fact that he was getting into scraps with his dad at a summer bbq. Pateryn, Tiny, and Beaulieu are all on their way up. But does it ever take a long time to grow Dmen.

• CJ says:

Funny thing about Pateryn, I have watched a number of games this year where he has been invisible. I would like to see him earn an opportunity, but it is very difficult to integrate three young defencemen, all with limited NHL experience, at the same time.

IMO, Pateryn needs to do more to force the issue. He is putting together a strong season, albeit quietly. Not sure if this effectively demonstrates what I have come away feeling following streaming the Bulldogs games (again, lots can be lost in a stream vs watching a player live), but sometimes I can go an entire period without picking him out.

• thorandresson says:

Don’t you want your D (especially the defensive types) to be invisible so long as they’re taking care of things and making sure the puck doesn’t go in the net…

• CJ says:

Good point. Yes, that does ring true. However, Pateryn is in a dog fight for one, maybe two spots. He needs to do more than remain invisible to be given the chance to take the next step.

• BJ says:

Beaulieu will be our top 2 D within 3 years. The kid can’t miss, he’s got Paul Coffee type wheels. He needs to muscle up a bit and he’ll be just fine.

34. Thomas Le Fan says:

I have a feeling we’re going to lay a surprisin’ sh*t kickin’ on the Kings tonight. Sweet revenge, sweet revenge will prevail without fail. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

35. Marc10 says:

So LA wiped the floor with us last go round. With our backup in goals, this is the perfect opportunity to play a Chicago-like playoff game. No mistakes, all out effort from beginning to end…

Let’s go Les Boys!

36. habsfan0 says:

After absorbing a 6-0 defeat at the hands of the Kings on Dec. 10 which precipitated somewhat of a downward spiral for the Habs, revenge should be uppermost in their minds tonight.

I have full confidence in Budaj,even though I’m not sure if he’s started 4 consecutive games in the NHL before.

37. gumper says:

Did Tokarski make the trip?

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

38. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Why am I quite pleased that Drewiske cleared waivers? After a whole year of wondering about this guy and now that he has had his shoulder fixed, I have a sneaking suspicion that he may actually end up contributing something significant to the team in some way. Hey if EOTP can obsess over Murray (and in a negative way)..I should be able to hope for the best with player number 44!

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
    24 cups and counting….

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

My post on DD 44 went to vapour so i’ll try this. DD44 clearing waivers, despite his dirt cheap cap hit for another year, size and depth defenceman ready status means there are few deals going to happen.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Lafleurguy says:

Agree with you. Believe his contract is one way….yep, according to capgeek. He’s a good depth player in case of injury, such as Pitt’s position with both Letang and Paul Martin out for long periods.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I have a sneaking suspicion that in cases like Drewiske’s there is a gentlemen’s agreement (or a phone call first) among G.M.s to allow these players to clear waivers in order to report to their AHL farm teams. If not, and since it so rarely happens, you’d think more of these players would be claimed. No?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

39. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

C’mon, we all know that Carey’s not really injured. They’re just showcasing Budaj in advance of the trade deadline. :)

40. theflukester says:

Doubt i will be awake for the game tonight (something about having to work the next day). My guess, based on our last outcome and what I remember of it. I’ll be surprised if we score a goal and if we do it will be on a power play. Last time we visited LA we got owned and it was like Men vs Boys. LA just seemed to walk around everyone and not because we were horrible. It was like Peewee’s taking on Midgets. I expect the same outcome. We do not have the physicality on this team to take on LA. No Price and no Parros. Gonna be ugly. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

41. NightRyder says:

Prospect update: Dalton Thrower (ankle) likely done for the year.

42. Lafleurguy says:

Using my Corsi-cator, 75 points in 62 games project to 99 points after 82, usually good for 4th or 5th.

43. Ghosts of the Forum says:

If Carey isn’t ready to go, have to think it’ll be Tokarski in Phoenix. Obviously want Carey to be ready (though not rushed back!), but I’m curious to see what we’ve got in Tokarski.

44. BriPro says:

All I see is a green gumby….on the ENTIRE page.
    Oh man…. old acid trip coming back to haunt me.

45. Lafleurguy says:

“Now I give them a stand-up routine in L.A.”

46. Mattyleg says:

Hey!
    Bronze is considered, in the sporting world, as ‘The Last Winner’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. Lafleurguy says:

“Closed the shop, sold the house, bought a ticket to the West Coast…”