Tokarski gets start for Habs in Buffalo

Following Saturday night’s remarkable 5-4 comeback overtime win over the Ottawa Senators at the Bell Centre, the Canadiens headed to Buffalo, where they will face the Sabres Sunday night (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

But goaltender Carey Price didn’t make the trip. After playing in his first game Saturday since suffering a lower-body injury at the Sochi Olympics, the Canadiens decided to leave Price behind to rest after he made 30 saves to improve his record to 27-17-5. Coach Michel Therrien said he didn’t want Price playing in back-to-back games so soon after coming back from injury.

The Canadiens recalled goalie Dustin Tokarski from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs on Sunday morning. The Canadiens had sent Tokarski down Saturday, but he never actually left Montreal and was at Saturday’s game.

Therrien announced Sunday afternoon that Tokarski will get the start in goal against the Sabres and that Jarred Tinordi, who was a healthy scratch Saturday, will return to the lineup, taking Douglas Murray’s spot.

In two appearances with the Canadiens since Price went down Tokarski has a 1-0 record with a 2.91 goals-against average and .922 save percentage.

Neither the Canadiens or Sabres held a morning skate on Sunday.

(Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

Habs vs. Sabres preview, NHL.com

Habs vs. Sabres Game Notes

Game Preview, Canadiens.com

Sabres show why they merit last place, Buffalo News

Habs win after incredible comeback, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

A now-you’ve-seen-everything win for Habs, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Last night was not a dream (video), Canadiens.com

All the way back, Canadiens.com

Bouillon goal caps improbable rally, NHL.com

Canadiens stun Senators, Ottawa Citizen

Sens blow it against Habs, Ottawa Sun

(Videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

1. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Leafs lose in regulation to the Caps.

2. HabsPooch says:

Tokarski in net tonight!

Ok, how many events are there in Paralympics because Russia has 80 (eight zero) medals.

4. habstrinifan says:

CRAPS! Leafs on the comeback. Don’t have faith in these CAPS TO FINISH.

5. habstrinifan says:

I am glad Scotland and CJ and others are posting re the clip of Therrien responding to a question re P.K’s performance.

It amazes me that D-Mex and PrimeTime and others can look at that clip and not even question the even handedness of Therrien.

In answering, Therrien basically showed that if passing up the shot and making the pass to DD had gone askew, that he Therrien, would be hanging P.K out to dry now. And unfortunately so would many posters here.

But Therrien is the COACH! He has a leader’s responsibility to recognize someone’s contribution… not only as an encouragement to that person but also as a checklist of the arsenal he has available to him as the COACH. His reaction to the question supports the ‘checked out’ theory.

This clip shows Therrien for what he is in regards to P.K. And the fact that he can continue on this path without some sort of nudge from MB or any other HAB mngmnt person despoils them all on this issue.

As one person said Therrien acted mean and juvenile. And those are the kindest words one can use.

• Timo says:

I think (with exception of a couple of posters) everyone is pretty clear on what Therrien is. Most people however still seem to give Bergevin a benefit of a doubt… Bergevin is pretty much the main accountable party for all the mess Habs are in and that there is very little to look forward to. I am absolutely not convinced that Habs won’t lose Subban. Given everything these 2 (MT and MB) have done so far it is more than possible that Subban will not be a Montreal Canadiens after July.

• PrimeTime says:

Timo – you say that same thing every year. You’re irrelevant.

********************************************************
        “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• PrimeTime says:

What clip are you talking about? I haven’t seen it so I’ll be easy on ya. But you didn’t answer my earlier question…. Are you new to hockey? How many users did you play, coach? What was you’re highest level?

• habstrinifan says:

I didn’t see those questions. I dont mind answering.

I am sure that compared to YOU I am absolutely a latecomer to hockey. And dont even talk about playing or coaching or any other of that esoteric stuff.. heck I am below idiot level if you are using your ‘measuring stick’.

I have my views and I will keep plowing ahead with them though. And I am willing to admit an 80% idiocy rate. But on this one I think I may have a point.

I wonder how you are so ready to challenge me as being ‘new’ to hockey but…

And the clip… it is on HABS site .. Therrien’s post game presser.

• wjc says:

Habstrinifan, please do not call yourself an idiot it makes me uncomforable.

80% Idiocy rate, that seems kinda high. You think you are an idiot but your point of view should be taken seriously…..interesting.

You have taken things out of context before how can I take you seriously. If you are indeed an idiot (your words)

Being below an idiot is pretty low.

Please do not answer, it is to embarrassing to be talking to an idiiot that is 80% on the idiot scale. Timo, your supporters do you know good. An idiot and a sock puppet.

wjc

• wjc says:

The ‘sock puppet’ that is TIMO never answers a challenge.

He makes a statement then disappears…..interesting.

wjc

6. rhino514 says:

Don´t have the stats, but I´m pretty sure Briere has to be second on the team in goals scored per minutes played. He´s an interesting case, don´t you think? No way has he played like a four million dollar guy, but he is on target now for around 15 goals in limited minutes.
    He´s making a decent case to not be bought out.
    Btw, what´s up with Plekanec? Hardly any points in his last 15-20 games or so. I suspect Therrien has really converted him and Gionta into purely shutdown guys. When you look at Pleks, I wonder if the captain has actually been slowed more due his newly assigned role than simply age.
    Seems to me if Therrien puts the DD line head to head against the opposition´s best this year, we have a much more exciting game to watch, probably more similar to last year´s team, with Pleks and Gio producing more.
    I´m ok with having a smart defensive game plan if it helps the team, but this boring style has produced eleven games over fivehundred up to this point; with the team we have it´s difficult to imagine we would be worse off playing a more open game.

• jlgib1019 says:

Pleks is a good player,but along with Markov is the most overrated player on the Habs. It’s an emotional attachment. He is a good 3rd line ctr at this point. He has 35 pts. Like I said a good player,that’s it. It has been 3 years since he supposedly shutdown Crosby in the playoff. Gorges,Gill and Halak had alot to do with that.

jr

• HabsPooch says:

Over-rated? Don’t think so. He’s been our most complete centre man for years now. I would hate to see our record without him. The only knock on him is not burying his chances more often. He’s not having his best year offensively but he’s as important to the team as Price and Subban are…

• jlgib1019 says:

As important as Price and PK??!! LOL!He disappears in big games . He missed the net by 5 ft on breakaway vs. B’s. And he has 35 pts. Pacs,Desh and Gally are more important also. I don’t get it. He’s good. That’s it. Price and PK are stars and Pacs is close

jr

• HabsPooch says:

What I mean is without him in the lineup at this time it would be a HUGE hole to fill. Just like Pk and Price’s absence would create a huge hole. He’s too important and valuable to this team. He’s counted in many ways other forwards are not. Yes he’s having a down year with his offensive total but some of that can be attributed to playing along side weak wingers. Gionta isn’t exactly Stamkos.
            As for the players you listed, they’re one dimensional so far with Pacioretty maybe a bit more complete due to size and playing on the pk at times.
            I would hate to see this team with Desharnais, Eller and Galchenyuk as the top three centremen AT THIS TIME and see the results.

• HabsPooch says:

In terms of disappearing in big games, Price has a lot to prove in this year’s playoffs. Let’s not forget his past. Hopefully maturity has set in and he plays to his potential this post-season.

• boing007 says:

Bullshit. Pleks is better than what you say.

Richard R

• habstrinifan says:

I am beginning to hope and am ready to eat crow that Briere is heating up. Which is why I have been saying Vanek/Eller/Briere as a line.

Imagine those 3 players firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs. HABS would be a dangerous team then.

7. frontenac1 says:

The Princess Scores!

8. DipsyDoodler says:

This is funny. La Presse asked the four electoral candidates to come to their offices for a surprise pop quiz on Quebec. Overall, Phillipe Couillard did best, Marois was the worst.

But there was one question on hockey.

Q: Four Quebec-born hockey players played over 10 games this season with the Montreal Canadiens. Name two of them.

Answers:

Philippe Couillard: Price, Subban

Françoise David: «Aucune idée»

François Legault:Bournival, Brière, Desharnais (1 point)

Pauline Marois:Brière (0,5 point)

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• CJ says:

I can only name three. Who’s the fourth?

• habstrinifan says:

Great great link!

As you probably guess I love following this kinda stuff. I pay very very little relevance to the HABS question but some other questions and responses are rather telling. I have to revisit and check my understanding again.. but ‘first impression’ it seems that Marois is a bit of an imprecise thinker when it comes to finances’ dollars and cents… which could be problematical in that she would have to be assessing the true cost of ‘Nationhood’.

Maybe PKP was brought in as the business guru for that reason. Although I see him as a ‘minster of finance’ with severe and unrealistic budgets and run-away corporatism.

9. habstrinifan says:

GO CAPS GO!!!!!!!!!!

10. Psycho29 says:

@ scamorza
    Saw your post below about the purple Staub bat. Brutal!!
    Just looking at my old autographs. Besides Fairly,Jones,Raymond,Boccabella, I also have Balor Moore, Renko, Gosger,Mauch, McGinn, Morton, Howie Reed, McAnally, Herrera, Henri Richard and Arnold Palmer (from some sport celebrity dinner my dad went to)..
    My all time favorite is I sent a letter to Hank Aaron when he was chasing the Babe. He sent me a beauty, an autographed postcard. Even on the Braves envelope is my address in his handwriting.

• scamorza says:

@ psycho 29
      Really neat -I wrote something similar about an experience with jean Beliveau. that is one neat collection of autographs. Tried once to get an autograph of willie Stargell once waiting outside the clubhouse…he comes out I ask he says sorry my work day is done snaps his fingers two women show up by his side in a limo and gone…brought a whole new meaning to “we are family” from those years…anyway keep the collectibles in a safe place

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

11. Buzz Lightbeer says:

The Dale Weiss winning streak continues!
    And welcome back PK,we all missed you,with the defense looking like it has this is the perfect time to be a leader and pick up the slack. The hit on Gryba text book,i’d love to see more of that and less bee sting hits which seem to have a %20 success rate.

Anyone know the lineup tonight? Just gonna roll the same roster?
    Hopefully the boys don’t have an emotional hangover,2 points are just as important tonight.
    Rainy Sunday here out west,good day for red meat an afternoon buzz and a hockey game.

12. DipsyDoodler says:

I know we talk about HNIC being Mickey Mouse, but look at this CNN report on Malaysian Airlines flight 370.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• formerly known as the hc says:

Ahhh, now I get it.

-The beatings will conmtinue until morale improves-

• Habcouver says:

Initially thought it was a joke.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• PrimeTime says:

All cable news is a joke.

13. Habcouver says:

Jaro Halak would have been a great goalie in the 80′s. Now, it’s the age of big mobile goalies. I hope his career is long but you have o wonder with being traded multiple times, if he is headed a la Theodore.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

14. Dunboyne Mike says:

Chris and UCE on “first” posts!!
    (ALN)
    I do NOT believe you. Left a strongly-worded reply!
    You rock, Burly!

• Ron says:

Believe it Mike. One of those two dislikes the use of emoticons on here and hash tags on twitter. He even suggested the posters on here not use them as they were foolish and bothered him…

15. PrimeTime says:

Leafs had 2 SOG and scored 1 – their high wire act will not survive the playoffs

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Oh no, PT. Everyone’s been saying that here since October!
      (Won’t survive after Christmas, Won’t survive the Olympics, Won’t survive the trade-deadline…) Maybe the Leafs are the chosen ones, this year’s team of destiny!!

16. DipsyDoodler says:

Shots are 14-2 after one for the Caps, yet the Leafs are miraculously not out of it, as usual.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

17. habsfan0 says:

In video clip of Bouillon, that’s “Big Jim Bay” in the background.
    Like me,a graduate of Outremont High School.
    I haven’t seen a pic of him since he was sports broadcaster on “Pulse News” in the late 60s. He had lambchop sideburns back then.
    He looks somewhat different now.

18. slapshot777 says:

Forgot about Dreweiske playing with Hamilton.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

19. habsfan0 says:

Laffs will attempt to duplicate Habs feat from last night and surmount a 3 goal deficit.

Even Joe Bowen doesn’t believe they have a chance.

Take a good look at this Buffalo line-up. If Montreal can’t beat these guys then maybe we should start looking towards next season.

Raise your hand if you can tell me three things about Chad Ruhwedel!

Projected Buffalo Line-up:

Conacher – Ennis – Stafford
    Foligno – Hodgson – D’Agostini
    Deslauriers – Leino – Flynn
    Scott – Konopka – Ellis

Ehrhoff – Ruwhedel
    Tallinder – Ristolainen
    Weber – McBain

Goal: Michal Neuvirth

Scratches/Injuries: Girgensons, Stewart, Mitchell, Sulzer, Myers

• PrimeTime says:

Any team can win any given game.

• 24 Cups says:

Total cliché, Prime Time.

If the Habs lose today it could well cost them a playoff spot.

• PrimeTime says:

I hope they don’t have a let down after a big win the night before thinking their playing an easy team. If I was a player, I would be saying the cliche every shift.

• jlgib1019 says:

So SJ,Bost and TB might as well hang it up also,since Buff beat them all in the last 3 weeks,and almost beat Hawks. PT is right,any given game

jr

• Chad who?

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

• Steven says:

That’s one hell of a depleted lineup. It’s really no surprise they’ve been as dreadful as they are.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Konopka!

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I accept the challenge.

1- He is paired with Ehrhoff, probably because both have hard to spell names and the Sabres hope other teams will be confused by their jersey lettering;
      2- He is under six feet, but skates make him look taller;
      3- He is a candidate for male pattern baldness.

21. Habcouver says:

Seeing the empty seats in Florida, I could probably understand with the gorgeous beach weather there.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• joeybarrie says:

Its March, all the Canadians are heading home for the spring.
      No one to watch Hockey left.
      Besides im sure people are still recovering from Daytona 500 a few weeks ago.

• olematelot says:

This one isn’t heading home. I have tickets for the game in Tampa Apr 1st. Fearless prediction, at least half of the building will be wearing red.

22. PrimeTime says:

3-0 Caps with Phaneuf in the box. What a captain!

23. PrimeTime says:

Phaneuf again!!! Lol. I love this guy on the leafs for 7 years tying up cap space.

24. chilli says:

No one on this site should complain about the ‘whiners’ in Ottawa – - due to the game starting at 4pm (LA time), I had to read the comments tracking last nights game in real time as the only way to follow the action.
    Geez, what a pathetic bunch of whiny Habs fans.
    You either are a fan and support these guys, or not….
    “playing Boullion this time a year is irresponsible” – yup, and he just won our most important game of the season.
    So many continued attacks on MT all night – all friking night. Same with every coach we have…. well, he has a pretty bad team sitting in a solid playoff position and his last minute decisions won the most important game of the season.
    Adadi: nice attitude. You attacked Cube ALL NIGHT LONG, you ‘glass is always empty’ sad sack…. go find another sport to whine about.
    And to Bim: “really Prust, do you think that matters”… ummm, yes. He does. Guess what, he’s the one playing the sport for a living.
    And guess what, we won.

Tre

• PrimeTime says:

The live blog has been a joke the past 2 seasons. The posters follow the lead of the headmaster. There is no thought behind the comments, only emotions. You’re better off following the box score on another site.

• joeybarrie says:

Its true, same old comments about coach, GM, owner no matter who it was in the last 15 years.

• jlgib1019 says:

Maybe because they want a winner and real contender. The GM,coaches and owners have been a joke the last 15 yrs. Julien,JM or Boucher would all have around the same record with this team. We get grind it out coaches and then a smaller team. Complete contradiction between coach and management

jr

25. stephen says:

Any reason why the Habs can’t set up Vanek for the one-timer on the PP like the Caps do with Ovechkin? Seems to me it would take some focus off PK and Markov, no?

Anybody especially fluent in the x’s and o’s care to comment?

26. habsfan0 says:

Wash 3 Laffs 0
    Habs should pass Toronto and Tampa in the standings by the time day is over.

• The Jackal says:

With the Laffs, leads are often inverse of what you think.
      2-0 Laffs lead usually means they blow it and lose.
      Laffs trail 2-0 usually means they come back somehow.
      It’s crazy but thems the Laffs for you.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• joeybarrie says:

This reverse double jinx better work.

27. PrimeTime says:

Atta boy Phaneuf!

28. Grimmly says:

HAHAHAHH Kypreos on Sportsnet just said he would rather have Kessel over Ovy, are you JOKING ME??? Wow, and we get to see more of this poop spewed on the air next year

• Timo says:

Not just next year… at least next 5 years. But let me ask you… why do you watch Sportsnet?

• Grimmly says:

Im a hockey fan and they are showing the leafs right now and i enjoy watching hockey, and makes it extra special when they lose, so lets hope

• slapshot777 says:

Timo when you watch Center Ice whatever broadcaster is showing the game you also get whatever analysis they give as well .

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• slapshot777 says:

I know I heard that and said what the hell are you smoking. I guess people on here say about the rose coloured glasses. Well Kypreos must have have them fully tinted dark blue.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• The Jackal says:

To be fair, Kessel is an extremely talented player and it’s not like Ovi has had that much success. I’d love to have either on my team but I think they are comparable players.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

29. FlyAngler says:

I was thrilled with the win last night like everybody else, but we are certainly not out of the woods yet. The PP and D are ongoing concerns and quite frankly, I think that Beaulieu is better right now than all of our Dmen except for 2 and better than 2 of some of the others put together. Unless Surete du Quebec has a warrant out for him which I doubt, he belongs in Montreal and not in Hamilton both for his ability to play the point on the pp and his skill at moving the puck.

With Gorges out for 3 more weeks, the Habs need to be better and the PP and the D are places that need a boost. Beaulieu in my opinion is a better #3 or #4 than anyone on the roster right now except maybe Emelin who is obviously still trying to get back to where he was before his injury. They should at the very least give Beaulieu another shot as he did nothing during his last stint to merit getting stuck in Hamilton at least as far as we know…..

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

Will we see a rematch between Murray and Scott today? Only this time with Murray being fresh off the bench and not in the end of a long shift.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bingo Timo. I think Murray is as strong as Scott. Also, Scott isn’t a great fighter. He’s just so much larger than anyone he takes on. I think a fresh Murray could give Scott a run for his money. Would love to see it.

• slapshot777 says:

This is probably where MT should dress Parros for that reason only.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

31. Habfun says:

FYI -AHL Hamilton at Toronto on 360 at 3pm

It’s all about the CH

• slapshot777 says:

Let’s have a look at Beaulieu and see how he s doing. Leblanc as well.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

32. jimmy shaker says:

Why is stubbs like other pundits drinking the kool aid that most of the time especially in overtime that play gets blown dead quickly. Sure, yes…..but when the ref is in excellent position, can see the puck is not covered or the fact lehner doesn’t even know where the puck is…..furlat made the right call. He was right there with the whole play in front of him. I could see if he was on the other side of the net then yes, he probably blows the play dead, but fortunate for all of us he was on the other side and saw the whole thing develop. What is the problem with these analysts/writers/commentators? Anyway, on to today’s game. Budashe please no softies. And I hope everyone is cheering for our old buddy Jaro, today vs the leafs. C’mon guys, I know u can do it!

Shaker out!

• ffenliv says:

They do that because they have some perspective. They know places like this would be burning to the ground with rage if the situation had been reversed.

So, instead of just crowing about how the refs got that call right, they pay some homage to the fact that the Senators do have some cause for complaint. The whole sequence of events leading to the OT goal were a bit bizarre, and we’re lucky all the possible calls and non-calls broke our way.

• jimmy shaker says:

If the roles were reversed I would hope fans who are truly objectionable on here would be okay with the call. The loose puck, the goalie that doesn’t know where the puck is, the ref in perfect view. How can anyone argue. Sure I would be pissed, but when the puck is loose, it’s fair game.

Shaker out!

• ffenliv says:

Oh, I agree, I think it was the right call on the goal. That it benefited out boys, that made my night.

But we’ve all seen this place after a supposed missed call, or a poor ref’s decision at a critical moment, and it ain’t pretty.

People here are, at the moment, very happy to act the better group of fans because Ottawa are ‘whining’ about it. Well, we probably would be, too. And it would be all the same material. “That’s ALWAYS a quick whistle, except against us!” … that sort of thing.

Also, out of curiosity, when you said ‘objectionable’, did you mean ‘objective’? You might have been burned by an auto-correct there!

• jimmy shaker says:

Yes, my objectionable word is not the right one to use I guess. Maybe unbiased would be a better way to go. Maybe in my earlier years of posting on here, i would be on that wagon, but now since I’m so much wiser, i like to think i can put my bias aside and make the right decision.

Shaker out

33. SmartDog says:

Is it REMOTELY possible that Therrien saw what PK is capable of doing on offense when he’s released and inspired instead of held back and micro-managed? I f-n hope so.

PK should pull an “Ender” and tell Therrien – ‘why don’t you get off my ass and release me and let me do my thing and I’ll say it was all your idea. I get to play without you looking over my shoulder, and you get the credit’.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think PK realized with 3 7th D-men in the line-up, he had to start taking over. His decision making, whether to skate/pass or shoot/pass, was perfect last night. A Norris trophy performance.

• D Mex says:

Hell ya, and he should stand up in the room and say exactly that in front of the entire team.
      Even better, he should wait and do it next time Geoff Molson and MB stop by to say hi to the team, with the 24CH cameras rolling …
      Get serious.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Timo says:

As some said, and I tend to agree, Therrien checked out of that game after the 4th goal. He was there but not there, if you know what I mean. This one is all on players, both good and bad. Therrien was a passenger. So I doubt he made any kind of decision at that point.

• PrimeTime says:

Again you didn’t watch the game, eh?

• SmartDog says:

I did and I agree. Therrien seemed despondent. He didn’t say much or do much. He just looked frozen.

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

You should watch again. Pulled Price with 2 min left? Not exactly quitting

• D Mex says:

So, last night’s win was ” all ” on the players.
            Fair enough – they are the ones who hung in ’til the end, and came back from oblivion with 3:32 left in regulation.

And, with concurrence from play-by-play in Toronto, Therrien ” checked out ” … I see.
            Just one question, then :
            Which one of the players decided when Price would come out of the net in the 3rd, and who would be on the ice for the 4th and (later) 5th goals.

Or are these decisions now delegated to NHLPA sub-committees ?

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• Ron says:

Timo “if you know what I mean”. Heck Timo you don’t know what you mean let alone anyone else.

34. Danno says:

Some thoughts on tonight’s game…

Sabres for the Third Time

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

35. scamorza says:

Holy crap just noticed one of the guys interviewing cube is Jim bay didn’t know he was still with us!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Psycho29 says:

Still have his autograph from Jarry Park years ago, along with Boccabella, Fairly, Mack Jones, Claude Raymond.

• scamorza says:

John boccabella wow thanks for that memory no grand orange?

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Psycho29 says:

I was at Dorval Airport with my folks (I was 11-12) to pick up my sister and the Expos had just arrived. Followed Staub to his car, got his autograph. Was so thrilled I didn’t ask his teammate for his.
          That autograph I cannot find. ;-(

• scamorza says:

That sucks sorry to hear.
            First ever bat day got a rusty replica-loved the bat one year couldn’t Find it as my dad cut off the end – thought it would be a good way to squish the grapes to make his wine- wasn’t deterred even if I was the only kid in the block with a purple bat.
            Let’s hope Cro can bring back a team so that we can all sign up for expos 2.0 inside out or baseball inside out and crap on our team the whole year round like many are apt to do here.

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Psycho and scamorza — brilliant exchanges, especially that last one, scam! Thanks.

36. Frank2468 says:

Sens fans still whining about last night guess they forgot about karma from last May 2013 http://i.imgur.com/mA8DiDX.gif

• ffenliv says:

That’s a fool’s road you’re on there. They can go back, and we can go back, and they can go back, and so on, and so on.

That’s like how Leafs fans hate ‘all’ Habs fans because we’re all insufferable. But we hate them because of, and so on, and so on.

They have a legitimate beef about that OT goal, and even the tying goal. A lot of judgement calls were made, which is what refs are paid to make. They were all judged in our favour, and ANY of them could have gone another way, and ended the comeback. So let’s rise above the name-calling and gloating?

• Frank2468 says:

That’s my point fans and media alike can be fickle. When something affects you everyone gets all up in arms but when things go the other way all of sudden it’s ok. I’m just posting this to show this and there always is and will be the game within the game.

I was raised by my father as to win with grace and lose with grace. I was never allowed to bug my friends about the Leafs in the 70′s cause god knows I could have had a very good time. My dad told me how would you like it if someone would call you now to gloat? So don’t do it back, discuss the game with respect and be happy your team won. And he was totally right but living in Ontario sometimes it’s very hard to ignore but I usually do. Last night when the Sens were up 4 to 1 people were literately blowing up my cell phone to the point I had to turn it off so I could watch the game. Sometimes I see fans hate other teams for the sake of just hating and that’s very sad. So at the end of the game I texted the people back and I said was that was a very good game. All I got was the refs this and the refs that and the Habs suck Price looked bad and PK needs to learn to pass to other players. All I said was yes PK did pass to DD glad you agree it was a good game.

37. PrimeTime says:

Hockey GM’s, Coaches, Players talk about “Teams”. Fans and media talk about “Players”. Teams win games, not Players.

38. WindsorHab-10 says:

Hoping Vanek scores tonight so the damn monkey can get off his back. I think he’s trying a little too hard & getting the win last night will take some pressure off of him. I hope.

Hatty tonight!

• DominicanHab says:

He’s getting his chances. I think he buries one tonight against his old team

39. DipsyDoodler says:

4-3 now. Philly have allowed only 12 shots through 2 periods, but 3 of them went in. Same old same old.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

40. frontenac1 says:

I dont believe some of the comments I read on Murray. Last night Neil tried to engage Lars until Murray skated over. Neil shut his yap and skated away. Sure Douglas is slow and made a couple of mistakes last night.Which D doesn”t? Why is he here? Guts,Experience and a Physical Presence. Remember this? This is why the team loves him. Saludos!

• D Man says:

Oh yeah, that’s why!

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• PrimeTime says:

“KEEP CALM AND PUT BACON ON” – Hilarious!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Murray is fine as the sixth defenceman. Unfortunately, Bouillon and Weaver are also sixth defencemen. I couldn’t believe Tinordi wasn’t in the lineup over Bouillon or Weaver! The defence was terrible last night.

Murray: Slow and makes a few glaring mistakes each game.

Bouillon and Weaver: Hard to get sticks in shooting lanes and win the majority of puck battles because of short reach and small size.

Emelin: No confidence. Also makes several boneheaded mistakes every game.

Markov: Plays big minutes but can get exposed because of a lack of foot speed and the inability to pivot and skate backwards well.

Subban: Amazing.

Tinordi: Still learning but generally good. Has made a few mistakes in his most recent call up and has been the victim of a couple bad bounces.

Gorges: Has the occasional bad game but is having a better season this year. He is missed big time right now.

• D Mex says:

Believe it : what you’ve been reading is standard fare from the ‘ experts ‘ who come here to dump their knowledge, which reads like crap more often than not.

What I don’t get is why you seem so surprised.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Timo says:

I noticed that too. Neil was a good little sheep with Murray nearby. I don’t get the hate on Murray either. The problem is that this team has a 1-2 dmen and the rest are 6-7 dmen, so naturally Murray is playing more than he should and as a result he is on more goals against than he would have been on an good team.

Habs better re-sign him for at least another year.

41. CJ says:

So, during the first intermission of Pittsburgh and Philly this afternoon I decided to re watch the end of last night’s game. Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but Neil lost his focus and opened the door with his foolishness, leading to a ten minute misconduct. IMO, this helped to cue the comeback.

Now, this isn’t the first time #25 has cost his team a win. In fact, my favorite incident was during game six against the Rangers. Sens were ahead 2-0, and up 3-2 in the series. Now, there is no written rule, but generally speaking, you don’t try to start a fight when your team is ahead. Sure enough, Neil can’t help himself and chases Prust, who is only too willing to engage the bigger Neil. A spirited fight ensued, which resulted in a draw. Prust goes off and as he passed Torterella the coach gave him a big pat on the back. The entire bench was fired up, the Rangers come back and win, and take game seven in New York. Long way of saying Neil cares about Neil more than the team.

To Montreal’s credit they capitalized on the opportunity. Neil’s selfish play, followed by poor goaltending and terrible defensive zone play resulted in the game being tied. Lastly, and a note of personal interest, terrible use of a timeout by MacLean. For all the heat Therien takes, he coached the pants off MacLean last night. Mind you, that’s not saying a great deal, but MacLean’s luck (built on the back of unsustainable goaltending) has seemingly run out.

• Paz says:

The turning point for me was when Eller scored to make it 4-2. There was about 3 minutes left. It had to give the team a lift knowing how Eller has struggled this season.

Eller was right back out there getting a key assist a minute later.

Everyone gets a lift from last nights game, but Eller was the one skating without the 100 lbs monkey on his back.

• HabsPooch says:

If Eller can find his game that would be a huge boost and bonus for the team. Kind of like acquiring him at the trade deadline. It’s one game but he’s got to follow that up with a solid effort tonight.

• Paz says:

And Suban, wow! What can I say? His 3 assists were huge.

Remember CJ we discussed leadership?

The way Subban played last night showed great leadership.

He was not alone, of course.

• HabsPooch says:

It would have been nice for Therien to sing high praises for PK but quickly wanted to point out Price’s performance instead.

• Paz says:

Don’t be concerned about Therrien’s comments. Subban is certainly not looking for praise from his coach.

• The_Truth says:

I thought DD was massive. he played great all game and I noticed some very good defensive plays he made. He seems to be very confident right now and is playing clutch.

• CJ says:

I remember buddy. We thought this would be a breakout game for PK and we weren’t disappointed. The three points aside, the best part of the game was PK’s hit on Gryba followed closely by his after the whistle scrums. PK is at his best when he is in agitator mode. He forces the opposition to lose focus. Nobody in the league can skate with him, and on the few occasions when he is hit, the other guy quickly realizes he just hit a six foot, 220 lbs wall.

I love this PK. On the edge, but totally engaged. Coaching staff needs to recognize this, nurture this (like Hall a Gill said) and reward him with 30 minutes a night. He can handle it. Lastly, if it’s not too much to ask, bring up Beaulieu to round out our defence.

• HabsPooch says:

I’ve been campaigning for Beaulieu but management I guess feel Weaver and Murray can punch our ticket to the playoffs? Krug and Hamilton were given the green light to play as rookies in the playoffs after all. Let our young guys learn.

• CJ says:

I agree HP. Hopefully next week. I’m not going to let this go….

If we are committed to winning now, let’s ice our best lineup, not the guys who we necessarily like the most.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Too right, Pooch. But I seem to remember controversy (the previous playoffs?) when Claude limited Seguin’s TOI.

• The_Truth says:

That was a Godsend for him. Before that he was -4 and really didn’t look that great. Hopefully this helps him trend upwards. He finally went to the net and got that goal, which is what he has to do.

It’s a small step, but at least its a step.

• CJ says:

Neil provided the dry wood that made it a combustible situation. Lars provided the spark that started the fire burning. MacLean added fuel when he lost control of his bench.

How’s that for an analogy? Cheers, CJ

• Habilis says:

Great post, agreed on all counts.

I also re-watched the end of the game. I was on RDS last night so I checked out the CBC replay today. My favorite part is the way the commentators were talking with about 5 minutes left. The game was over in their eyes (mine too of course) and they were already talking about how Buffalo was going to be a must-win, how red Therrien was going to get, etc. Just awesome considering that McLean got as red as any human I’ve ever seen while trying to call that time out before the DD goal.

Also, interesting to note the contrasting reactions from RDS to CBC. After DD’s goal, Houde was jubilant and barely even mentioned the green light. The first thing the CBC guys said was “I think this is over”.

I’ll be sticking with RDS.

• CJ says:

I almost always watch RDS. I can’t understand everything that’s said, but it beats being able to understand the nonsensical comments originating on CBC or Sportsnet. I have the NHL network, and, in all honesty, Sportsnet Ottawa is the worst in the league.

• scamorza says:

RDS hands down last time I watched CBC for habs consistently was with Dick Irwin and Danny G

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

42. SC-24 says:

Gotta have a combination of talent and toughness on every line like Boston, Philly, LA and you have a chance at going all the way, we don’t have that, just a little skill and a little toughness that’s why we have problems scoring, no one tough enough to crowd the net or crash the net, If the playoffs started tomorrow, Boston would be my choice. They can score, Good defense, Good Goaltending and above all Toughness, can mix it up with any team in the league.

LA: 165 GF
      MTL: 172 GF

LA wins playing good defence and good goaltending.

• Omit says:

SC-24

What a Negative Nelly you are! I’m sure glad that the Habs don’t have a loser attitude like you.

“Time wounds all heels”. – J.L.

43. SmartDog says:

There’s some talk below about the Pens.
    If I’m running them, I’d look at trading either Malkin or Crosby. Both are signed for the next decade. Imagine the return you could get in strong young players. Who needs TWO top line centers? Malkin can take over games but he does that most often when Crosby is out. He should be the first line center on another team.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Habcouver says:

Would Sid wanna play for the Habs?
      I can’t imagine what Pens would demand in return.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• SmartDog says:

How about
        - Galchenyuk
        - Beaulieu
        - another roster player (Gallagher? Eller?)
        - a first pick in 2014
        - a second round pick in 2015

Think that would be enough? If not, we can throw in Bourque!
        I’m not saying the Habs should do it! But imagine how much that would help the Pens. They still have Malkin as their #1 and Galchenyuk as their #2. If I were the Pens I’d do that in a heartbeat. If I’m the Habs I wouldn’t.
        ————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Habcouver says:

Thanks for your opinion.
          I would consider taking this trade for the following reasons:
          - Crosby is only 26 and it’s possible he can still get better
          - Crosby, Subban and Price: the Habs Trifecta! All good Canadian Boys with gold medals dangling from their necks.
          - Tinordi and Pateryn have almost arrived.
          - progress with developing de la Rose and McCarron.
          - trade would attract other free agents and trades to play in Montreal.
          - trust Trevor Timmins to draft future gems in later rounds.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Timo says:

Haha… not while Therrien here, at least.

44. HabsPooch says:

Just like yesterday’s game, the Pens are not generating many shots…just nine shots at almost the midway point of the game. Missing Neal, Kunitz and Letang has contributed to that. Time for Crosby and Malkin to earn their status and do something about it…

• The_Truth says:

The Pens have had a ton of injury problems this year and are in great shape. If they can get all those guys back, they should be pretty scary. The only problem is their below average goaltending, which is a big problem.

• CJ says:

A HUGE problem. There is a reason why a team like St. Louis, who – healthy or not – are simply better than Pittsburgh decided to upgrade their goaltending. You CAN NOT win in the playoffs with below average goaltending.

• scamorza says:

Tons first Martin and letang on d now Neil and Kunitz and don’t forget Dupuis, crosby’s sidekick
        this is why I like what’s happening with the habs like their four lines and relatively injury free as long as Price stays that way and Gorges comes back with a few games before the playoffs. bornival would be a bonus but I don’t know if he will crack the line up we have lots of depth up front – we can even sit Bourque to light a fire under his backside.
        come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

45. Let’s hope the defensive gaffs were a result of being a bit too relaxed because of Price’s return. Everybody takes a step back, figures they don’t have to worry as much and forget for a couple of periods that Ottawa are fighting for their playoff lives.

If they don’t tune it up for the Sabres, I’m a bit worried about the rest of the stretch run. As we saw last year, it’s very difficult to right a playoff ship that was taking on water for the last part of the season.

Hopefully, they can mend the holes and catch a fair wind rather than flounder.

Defense wins championships

• Oh, and anyone think Gorges isn’t an important part of our D now?

Defense wins championships

46. Praj12 says:

Oh well I was hoiping to see Price in Buffalo tonight but he does need to take it easy. Hoping its Tokarski.

HABS fan since ’68

• HabsPooch says:

Why are we forgetting Budaj’s accomplishments with our club the past few years? He’s in a bad funk now and throwing him in against the Sabres is the perfect tonic for him. We need to feel good about him again.

• Habcouver says:

I’m not convinced that Budaj is actually in a slump. Strange goals happen, and the team had not been playing to their potential.
        I too support they start Boods!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Apart from Lucic’s softie, I think he has continued to fulfil his function at a rate that exceeds his salary. In my opinion he is way, way down the list of factors for the disappointing west coast trip.

47. Odie24 says:

It’s all fine and dandy to leave Price at home, but that guy needs to play. He’s a guy who finds his rhythm and timing when he’s being used. That being said, if he’s injured again, I guess that would moot that point…

• Habilis says:

I don’t think he would have been skating the length of the ice in OT to celebrate if he was still hurting. His priority would have been getting to the trainers.

This is simply an overly cautious move and I have no issue with it. No way Price was playing today anyhow, so no sense in travelling. Plus it’s a back to back vs the worst team in the NHL right before the home stretch. If there’s ever a time to rest your starter, it’s today.

At this point in the season with the standings being what they are, it really shouldn’t matter who is in net vs Buffalo. If we manage to get lit up by the Sabres, we got real problems.

48. BJ says:

Sorry about the double post below. Flyers already up 3-0 on the Pens in the first. Not going well for Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia after yesterdays 4-0 beat down.

• 24 Cups says:

Philadelphia, Columbus and the New York Rangers all had crappy starts to their seasons. Any of those teams could really upset the apple cart in the eastern conference play-offs.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Bylsma is 20-21 in playoff games since the cup victory. I wonder: if they go out in the 1st round this year does he get the axe?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Habcouver says:

Shaping up to be a forgettable season for Bylsma by being out coached in Sochi for 4th place.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

Pens fans want Blysma fired and say that Malkin and Crosby are overrated

• The_Truth says:

Malkin and Crosby are certainly not overrated. Arguably the top 2 players in the world. Pens fans are spoiled.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Where did you see that, PT?

When it comes to what “fans want”, of course, the grain of salt everyone needs to take with it is evident on this site each and every day!

49. BJ says:

To win it all you have to beat whoever is on the way. So no need to worry about the match ups, its better to have the confidence to feel you can beat anybody on the way and let the other team worry about you.

• crane says:

Vanek Eller Bierre
      Patches D.D. Gally
      Bournival Plek. Gionta
      Bork. Gally Prust

Need Bork for play offs,D.D. and Patches need Gally,Vanek needs left side,Gally for size down middle with fewer minutes for now.
      Emelin P.k.
      Markov Beaulieu
      Tinordi Gorges and Pateryn split third pairing

• Habilis says:

True. And if I thought we were a Cup contending hockey team, I wouldn’t care where we finished. But we’re not, IMHO. We’re one level below that. We’re talented enough to beat any team on any night, but we’re not consistent in utilizing that talent effectively.

So yeah, I think we would need some favorable match-ups and a lot of luck to get anywhere close this season. Just my opinion.

50. Habilis says:

Watching the Flyers vs Pens game… Is it possible that we’re actually in the best possible playoff slot right now? If it started today, we’d get the Pens and they are just a mess. Plus, if we somehow won that series, we’d be playing the winner of the 2-3 Metro series in round 2. At least I think that’s how it goes.

That means there’s no way we’d face another Atlantic team until the conference finals, whereas if we finish 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic and win a round, we’re basically guaranteed to face the B’s in round 2.

Could be that the “easier” path is through the Metro.

• BJ says:

51. HabsPooch says:

I think moving forward Beaulieu should be brought up. The second pairing of Bouillon and Emelin on the powerplay just doesn’t cut it for me.
    I would do these pairings:

Emelin Subban
    Tinordi Markov
    Beaulieu Murray/Bouillon/Weaver

First pairing would have Emelin on his correct side and concentrating on his defensive play with PK taking the lead.
    Second pairing, have a young defenseman play on his correct side and once again concentrate on his defensive play while Markov takes the lead.
    Third pairing, Beaulieu playing his correct side so as to not mess with his game taking the lead with either one of the three remaining defensemen to alternate. Weaver for the right handed shot, Murray for physicality and Bouillon for toughness and experience.
    On the powerplay I would have Markov Subban on the first pairing and Beaulieu Subban on the second pairing. When the power play expires I would throw out Tinordi and Markov.
    On the penalty kill I would have Emelin and Murray on the first pairing and Tinordi and Subban on the second pairing.
    This all changes when Gorges comes back of course…

• The_Truth says:

I really don’t like two rookies in the lineup coming down the stretch. Beaulieu has looked pretty decent and Tinordi not so much. Both guys have far from dominated the AHL. Recipe for real problems.

• HabsPooch says:

I would make the argument that Krug and Hamilton were two rookies that played in the playoffs for the Bruins last year and seemed to do fine. I don’t think we’re any better off having Murray and Weaver play together.
        Beaulieu and Tinordi our our future so off with the bib and let them learn quickly on the job.
        When Gorges comes back he can take one of T or B’s spot.

• The_Truth says:

Beaulieu and Tinordi are not at the level of Krug and Hamiltion. Also the Habs don’t have the depth at D or team defence to protect young Dmen like Boston does.

Let them break in next season. This period is critical. I don’t mind one of them on the 3rd pairing, but not two.

• HabsPooch says:

Torey Krug played all of one regular season game before entering the playoffs last year. He was an undrafted defenseman. Beaulieu and Tinordi were both drafted in the first round. Let the rookies play. Gorges can take one spot when he comes back.

• CJ says:

You’re right, they are not at the level….. They (Tinordi and Beaulieu) are further ahead.

Krug played ONE regular season game before joining the team for the playoffs. The ONE game he played was a 5-2 loss to the Senators in a make up game from the Boston Marathon Bombing.

If Markov is half the player people here make him out to be, we have the resources to make this work.

Tinordi and PK, Markov and Beaulieu.

I don’t know if we can afford to watch the many examples of why Emelin and Markov can no longer play together. Bouillion is not as good as Tinordi. Gorges (when healthy) and Emelin are our 5/6. Now, all f a sudden, a liability becomes a strength….

52. WindsorHab-10 says:

Not happy at all with Budaj’s game. He owes his team a strong effort tonight which will hopefully lead to a win. Hate MT like a sickness but I must tip my hat on a good call leaving Price in Montreal. I believe that was the right thing to do.

53. Max says:

On another note,is there a whinier,slimier team in the league than Ottawa with Wilford Brimley as coach and a supporting cast with the likes of Neal,Turdis,Spezza,Ryan,Caillou,Lehner and their assorted ragtag dirty defensemen? I feel like I need to take a shower after watching them.

54. careysubban3176 says:

This team has the potential to be that little underdog team that can go really far in the playoffs. BUT…only with Price in nets.

55. Max says:

I’m hoping that Galchenyuk develops a bit of an agressive,tenacious side down the road.

The kid is elitely skilled but comes across as a bit passive and non-chalant during games.

Imagine what he could become if he played with a hungry edge like a Gallagher.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

I want to see Galchenyuk play his natural position at center. I think it’s time.

• Sportfan says:

I want him to rip peoples heads off with one hand while scoring with the other hand haha. But in reality let’s start him at center and then go from there to make him better.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Miltie01 says:

He needs more work on his frame before that can happen. He looks like a kid against men, which of course what he is.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Galchenyuk is not nearly as good as the posters like to say here…we are wishful thinking on this kid. He may very well be a star someday but I watch him closely….as close as one can on TV and he just isn’t that great…..yet. However keep on dreaming and you just never know it could one day happen.

56. sprague cleghorn says:

On my way to Buffalo to take in the tilt with me son. Don’t need last night’s drama, just two points.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

57. New says:

I think the best part of a run and gun last shot wins game is reading the older comments. A second has to be the “How the Refs Conspired To Steal the Game” theories. It makes the win that more delightful.

Is the way the team played in the last few minutes “desperation” hockey? Is that what has been missing from their game…the final bit?

58. joeybarrie says:

First time I can remember I turned the game off after Ottawa scored the 4th goal. I was VERY frustrated and upset. However, I calmed down a bit, about 5 minutes of hockey, it was weighing on me. So thankfully I came to my senses and watched the last 9:45 of hockey. Gio made it 4-2 and I started thinking…. 3 minutes, steal another one and we got a shot. Exactly what happened, and when there were 20 seconds left and the puck was moving around everywhere, I thought, clock will run out. Sens will congratulate each other and the frustration will mount………..
    UM NO. We smashed and grabbed, and it was glorious.
    Almost as glorious as the NYR comeback…

I’m just glad I came to my senses, cause I still cant remember the last time I turned off the game in frustration. Not even when we were down 0-5 to the Rangers.

Truth is we have too much talent on this team to be playing like this. So hopefully we will play well going forward and make a bit of a run, if not something better.
    MaxPac, PK, Vanek, Price, Markov, Briere, Galchenyuk, Pleks, Gallagher……….. This is a pretty good team.
    Now everyone needs to play like it.

59. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Kudos to the Canadiens for not giving up last night, but we also can’t neglect to give the Sens the props that they deserve, as no team had ever had a 3-goal lead with that little time left on the clock and still managed to lose the game. Definitely a choke for the ages!

60. Maritime Ronn says:

Heck of a win and tip of the hat to….Captain Gionta.

After the game against Boston – where Gionta’s lack of effort on a backcheck was largely responsible for the 2nd, spirit breaking Bruins goal, this poster started to question his Leadership and commitment to the team.

I also put forth that he is in a position of ‘lame duck’ Captain with no contract next year- unique for any other NHL team, and may be pre-occupied concerning that.

Last night’s performance proved that wrong.
    Gionta’s on the ice performance showed that he still has the fire.
    Gionta was simply outstanding last night.
    1 goal-1 assist-Plus 3…6 shots on goal-2 blocked shots.
    He also went hard to the dirty areas and battled hard against men much, much bigger than him.
    That was critical, never give up leadership

• CJ says:

Morning Ronn.

I agree, Captain was much better. He can’t float. He has forged a career on being a worker. When he takes nights off (against the Bruins) it becomes painfully evident.

Again, agreeing with your post. Full credit for a very good game.

• Max says:

I don’t know why not having a contract for next year would pre-occupy his mind.He’s a professional and is playing on a contract right now and is rich beyond anyone’s wildest imgination and in the twilight of his career at 35ish.He’s sitting pretty and will never have to worry about the mundane financial things that the rest of us deal with on a daily basis.

• Maritime Ronn says:

First of all, these guys are competitors with great pride.
        With all the money he has earned, a guy like Briere could have easily retired especially after his concussions, yet continues to play
        They also need exceptional mental concentration – especially when skills start to diminish.
        Any little distraction, conscious or subconsciously, creates problems.

So, a shutout for Luongo tonight? Imagine the tweets.

62. SC-24 says:

I think it’s a good move, why ruin a young when they know we’re not going anywhere. May not make the playoffs yet. I say get this over and try to put something better together for 2014-2015. One round of playoffs not worth it other than money for Molsons!!!!

63. Luke says:

Last night’s game, and the Icedog game i was at Thursday were very similar. Awesome entertainment and frustration levels. Fortunately I left both games happy.
    Here’s hoping the Sabres game us not nearly as stressful.

64. CJ says:

Good call regarding Price. I understand the decision was made before the game. Make sense. Not sure what the reluctance is to bring up Beaulieu. Based on what I’ve watched the past week plus, Weaver, Murray and Bouillion are not going to get the job done.

I’m simply asking that we ice the best possible lineup. We need a puck mover and defender. Gorges, when healthy, helps with the shutdown responsibility. Nate addresses the puck mover and second unit PP.

Just my two cents….

• DeadEnd says:

I think part of the problem might be with the cap space available. They’re carrying a full extra line of forwards plus a slew of D-men. They have to be careful who they try to send down due to waiver restrictions.

All excuses aside, I also don’t understand why Beaulieu and even Pateryn haven’t gotten more looks. I’m not an insider or a “real hockey person,” but I find myself scratching my head a lot with some of the moves that are made/not made.

• CJ says:

Per capgeek, they have just under $925,000 in space available. Incidentally Beaulieu makes $925,000. The difference is less than $2,000. Placing Gorges on LTIR, they would be ok. I think, and I welcome input from others more knowledgable, they will accrue savings. Maybe they can bring him up next week (again, this is without placing Gorges on IR).

• Miltie01 says:

The reason is not the cap. There are a limited amount of recalls they are allowed until the end of the season, or Hamilton’s season, can’t remember which. Once the season ends, you will see call ups if deemed necessary.

• Timo says:

Apparently Beualieu didn’t display MOAR character when he was sent down for the Olympics break. Who really knows. I find more puzzling the decision to keep Price at home and not even travel with the team.

• wjc says:

Try to imagine Budaj gets hurt, Price is on bench and has to go in. Not a good thing. They had already decided to not play him Sunday and let him therapy the knee, whatever that entails.

wjc

• wjc says:

The Beaulieu mystery, solved.

During the Sochi break Beaulieu was sent to Hamilton and told to work on some defensive problems he was having, nothing serious, but he needed some work.

He decided that this work was highly unnecessary and blew it off. Canadiens were unimpressed at the bad reports so the promoted Tinordi up. Attitude my friends……ATTITUDE!

He has the offensive talent and is a fine talent, but like all defencemen they need work on the back end. This part of the season is too important to waste on mistakes, if possible.

He will be back I am sure, just a maturity thing.

wjc

65. DipsyDoodler says:

Anyone else worried about Price’s injury?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• frontenac1 says:

In Mike’s presser, he said they didn’t want Price playing this back to back game. He said he will play this week. Just being cautious. It’s a good thing.

• Timo says:

Yeah, I don’t believe them. I think it’s the injury and I pray he didn’t suffer a setback last night. He didn;t look very comfortable on some plays but I hope it’s just rust.

How did you make it through the night, last night amigo?

• frontenac1 says:

Passed out in the third until my dog started licking my face to wake me up with about 5min to go. Jump up when Cube scored and got smucked by the ceiling fan. It was worth it. Saludos!

Farber seems pretty adamant it is tendonitis in his knee. Essentially rest rehab and deal with the pain.

Perhaps that rodeo experience is going to pay off.

If we can secure a few wins and we can find some spots for Budaj I am not too worried.

BUT, a loss tonight puts all the pressure square on Price.

So I guess a bit worried, but think we’ll be okay.

• SC-24 says:

Burli – This is a hard team to figure out. I’ve seen so many line changes I don’t think they can put a good one together, nothing seems to work. Probably better off not making the playoffs. I’m not looking forward to a repeat of last year, beaten up like kids in a schoolyard. Anyway if they make it they make it, I’m looking forward to seeing what MB is going to do to try and improve the team for 2014-2015 we have nowhere to go but up if we’re ever gonna win a cup!!!!

There is invaluable experience to be learned in the playoffs. No doubt last years playoffs were painful.

I do think this offseason is when MB starts to make a bigger imprint on the teams roster moving forward.

There is some talent on the present roster, be it MT or whatever, they just haven’t put it together yet. There is still potential for lightning in a bottle on this roster, but much rests on Price’s shoulders.

Understand your frustration.

• Max says:

They’re just easing him in like an old man into a warm bath.

• Lafleurguy says:

Last time Carey was out for an extended period, he wore a cowboy outfit replete with vest, pocket-watch, and chain (he was accepting the award for being a Molsons 3-stars segment winner). Watching the clothes he wears will clue us in (to any prolonged IR time). (Had a black cowboy hat then, but he has married since).

• Ktowner says:

I am worried, I think they may have brought him back too early. I’m sure he encouraged the start last night and no doubt the guys in the room liked it too but, he is the franchise player this year and for his and the team’s future, I hope he heals completely before his next start.

• wjc says:

Not in the least, just not up to back to back. Better to rest the knee whatever and be ready for Tuesday.

wjc

66. New says:

Girgensons will give them fits.

67. PrimeTime says:

The doooooomers will post until Habs wi the game

68. frontenac1 says:

Parros and Scott dance?

69. Stanley Cup says:

Fightin Flamenco

70. Mark C says:

I see a lot of guys who shouldn’t be playing in the NHL…

71. frontenac1 says:

If you have those bad feelings, try some substance abuse. It works for me amigo.

72. Dunboyne Mike says:

Easy. We have often struggled against bottom-feeders. I’m nervous, too.

73. CH Marshall says:

This retired Mtl cop once told me he stopped Breezes for speeding and he actually did the whole “do you know who I am??” shtick

74. CJ says:

Yes they are. We are going to face another hot team on Thursday night – Columbus. Pittsburgh is going to have their work cut out if they want to make the conference final. NY will also be a tough out.

75. Habcouver says:

It’s amazing how bringing in Berube has changed this team.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

76. stephen says:

I would change too if Berube told me to.

Yikes.

77. Hobie Hansen says:

Agree with you on Columbus CJ. I like their group of scrappy forwards. Dubinsky, Horton and Umberger, to name a few. I dislike Horton for what he did to us as a Bruin but when healthy is a good player.

78. CJ says:

Wiz is having a great year and their young players are a great combination of size and skill. They are certainly on the rise.

79. CJ says:

Also worth noting, they are able to trade away a UFA (Gaborik) who is not a part of their future and yet continue to get better. Well coached and well managed.

80. scamorza says:

Don’t forget Babrovsky

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

81. Habcouver says:

:D

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

82. PrimeTime says:

On this site the players get credit for wins and the coach gets the loss. Hasn’t changed with whoever has been or will be behind the bench.

83. PrimeTime says:

Timo doesn’t watch the games. Don’t kid yourself

84. CJ says:

The Marlies goal did not appear to go in. Unfortunately they don’t appear to have an overheard camera.