Price at what price?

Short term, $2.3 million to $2.5 million, an agent tells Richard Labbé.

That’s it for reasonably fresh Canadiens stuff, peeps.

If you can find more, post the links in the Comments section.

Otherwise, just kick back and enjoy your Sunday.

Who’s in nets?

1. The Cat says:

Talent can only take you so far though, every goalie in the league has talent. Price doesnt have that look in his eyes yet. Maybe he will someday soon though.

2. takuto97 says:

An excerpt from the excellent analysis of the Carey Price Controversy by Robert L., which I think sums up beautifully a very logical attitude regarding the whole affair :

“Getting to the Heart of the Carey Price Perceptions” By Robert L.

Fans whose jocks are still knotted over the Halak trade, need to get
    over it. He might not be your preference, but Price is now the Canadiens
    goalie for the forseeable future. If it bugs you still, delve into the
    understanding of the NHL cap system and immerse yourself into a
    knowledge of true team concepts.

Still annoyed, place yourself in Carey Price’s shoes, long and hard,
    and gain a semblance of what it must feel to be him on bad nights, and
    good ones.

If you are still baffled and depressed, consider how much less you
    know about hockey from having lived it, compared to Gainey and Pierre

Still believe you know more?

Of course you do. That is why 15 NHL teams are ringing your cell
    phone as you read this.

Carey Price – you loved him until he let you down, as he loved
    Montreal hockey until the fans let him down.

Give the kid a break, or join those hoping he fails in order to
    justify your senseless, media based, speculation based opinions.

Continuing, at this point, to give Price a rough ride, is akin to
    shooting yourself in the foot, not to mention your team’s hopes.

Montreal fans should allow Price the space he needs to move forward
    and grow as a number one goalie.

Is there a sounder, more logical alternative?

Price has learned tons in the past three seasons, and is moving
    forward with the experiences.

So should everyone else.

(A great many thanks (and apologies for the appropriation) to Robert L., who wrote and formulated the above excerpt)

3. notbigbird says:

Good call ’cause if anyone knows clueless …

4. Bill J says:

We will soon find out I guess 🙂

In the meantime, one question I do believe I know your answer as you are sensible.

Is it not better to support Carey & wish him the best ?

Or should the negative Nelly’s be allowed to propagate their negativity about Price, to the point where it becomes nearly impossible to please people ?

I prefer to support the team, and whoever plays.  That is why, when Price was on the bench & Jaro was “the guy” – I supported Jaro.

5. The Cat says:

Maybe it is his intensity, to me hes always seemed a little slow.

6. The Cat says:

There was no dumb luck at work against the flyers though I dont think, just a team that got plain outmuscled like in the few years prior. Whereas in games with Price in, you could see some sort of collective let down, or maybe its just me. But I dont think so. Halak was a unifier, Price doesnt seem to have that going for him, its not his fault though, its Gainey’s.

7. Bill J says:

Wow Carriere who just yesterday was “per you” evidence that a cleaning house was happening, is now one day later “part of the old guard”

Gota to give you one thing Tony242 – your delivery has changed a bit, but your message remains the same.

Same ‘ole broken record.

8. habsgirl74 says:

i really think that people need to realize that Price is still only 22 and during the playoffs worked very hard and showed alot of maturity, everyone who thinks he doesn’t try or gives up needs to learn a bit more about the kid before you make judgement, he has spectacular talent and will only get better and why not back him instead of dumping on him, if you can remember right he played awesome after the olympics, but i think no matter what he does alot of so called habs fans will never give him credit

9. Mark C says:

Bring up AK46 and 2003 got me thinking and doing some research. One mock draft had the Habs taking Zach Parise, another smurf! It’s important to remember that AK46 was widely considered a top-10 talent, it hasn’t worked out like anyone wanted, but the pick at the time was solid.

10. TripleX says:

Excellent point. I vividly remember from a sociology class a couple of surveys that were done on students from the 1950s and 1980s.

The survey asked the question “do you think you are important?”.  In the 50s 12% of the students answered yes.  In the 80s 80% of the females and 77% of the males said YES.  LMAO

If anything the following decades are probably MORE self entitled and self important.  It is the boomer generation that created this mess.

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

11. Bill J says:

Yeah because the centennial season fiasco falls SOLELY on Carey Price in the 2nd half of that season eh ?

If you are unwilling to use your head when reading my posts, please skip over them.

12. Bill J says:

I think you are reading too much into that conspiracy theory.

If you are correct, do you explain the Eastern Conference Finals as the “team” saying: “Jaro needs to go, we want Carey back” ?

The conspiracy theory works both ways 😉

13. The Cat says:

It happened so many more times to Price though…You know Im gonna get it for this but I dont believe it was weird dumb luck, the team liked Halak better as a person I think. Price does not strike me as likeable for some reason, but thats ok Roy wasnt likeable, but Roy had won and had therefore the carte blanche to get away with more.

14. montreal1 says:

I couldn’t agree with you more, Carey has shown some great flashes of pure raw talent, this past season was a huge write off, I just remember when he broke into the NHL, then it all makes sense why gainey selected him, I have a great feeling about Carey this season, get him locked up for 2-3 seasons !

15. habs4last says:

Price is a thief!

he has stolen habs $$$$ for 3 years now and played as a minor leaguer!

doesn’t matter tho because he’ll be traded for a bag of peanuts at the trade deadline.

never had it, still doesn’t and never will. the kid is clueless just like Gauthier!

16. Favorite Son says:

And why are we comparing Price with Pouliot? I agree with you, Price probably won’t get less than $2M, I just don’t see how Pouliot is relevant in this argument.

17. Bill J says:

Cat – you missed the point of my post perhaps ?

Up to Price’s injury, this “question” was not a question.

This season, was weird dumb bad luck.

The same dumb bad luck that Halak felt at the hands of the Flyers in the Conference Finals.

When the team can’t seem to score in front of the goalie, doesn’t matter WHO the goalie is.  It will be hard to register the W’s.

Look past this season, and the W’s are more in Price’s favor.

18. andrewberkshire says:

Lack of focus, I don’t think that’s a secret. His intensity at time last year was just terrible.

19. montreal1 says:

I would like to at least see price locked up for the next 2-3 seasons, just imagine price having a fantastic season on a 1 year contract, next seasons contract negotiations would be much more inflated. I just hope a minimum 2 years I would be content with that, my gut is telling me this season we will see the Carey price that justbroke into the NHL, I just feel like a crackhead waiting for the hockey season to start, very dry time in terms of sports right now.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Pouliot got $1.35M.

No way Price gets less than $2M

21. The Cat says:

Price isnt terrible and he doesnt suck, I dont dispute that, however there has to be something about him that has prevented him from getting the Ws when compared to Halak for example.

22. Bill J says:

+1 – This one never gets old!

23. Bill J says:

LMFAO! Good point.  Some folks could benefit from remembering more then just this past season.

Even with the hardships Price faced in the previous season, he was absolutely BRILLIANT in the first half of that season.  Not that long ago, but you would think Price had a horrid 3 seasons based on what some people post here.

24. Big Bird says:

History will be made.  A la Pierre McGuire:

25. SuperStarz says:

Kids this is what smoking crack does to you, it kills your long term memory

26. Favorite Son says:

Yes that’s true, but I guess what he’s saying is instead of drafting based on need, they went with hype.

For me the bigger disaster what the year AK was drafted.

27. Favorite Son says:

Scorer/playmaker with size, grit and speed. Do we have that right now? Gomez: no, Plekanec: no. Plekanec is a great #2 though.

Everyone has their own definition I guess. What’s yours?

28. The Cat says:

Not really…They had the same conversation last week.

29. Mark C says:

Couldn’t be more right Bobby, here are some numbers to back-up your statements: in recent history offer sheets have been given at an average rate of 1.25 a year. With all but one being matched, which was Penner and Edm.

30. Bugs says:

Damn right he shoulda. Good reasons or bad, they followed HIM. The guy perpetually created drama.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga:

Kovalev should get the “C”. Ah the good old days!!!

32. Bugs says:

Now tell him and his agent that.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

33. Bugs says:

Word to the big bird.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

34. Bugs says:

Didn’t you breathe air last week, how bout some diversity? C’mon, Booner. You’ll need to do better than that.

I do have diversity. Last week, it was “Solaris”. (boy, was that a mistake; b-b-b-boooooo-Ring)

A Fellini movie? What is that, a documentary about how to cook noodles? Not my thing.

Clint wouldn’t be caught dead in a Bergman movie. That’s not diversity; that’s death by ennui.

When you use my words against me though, all it does is flatter me, Booner, for it tells me you recognize their impact would be better suited to represent your point than your words would. That is tactical mistake, as shown in first line of this post because I master MY words better than you do. Shouldn’t use that as tool of rhetoric if I were you.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

35. Mattyleg says:

Wow, parry and THRUST!

“A hit, a very palpable hit.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. Bob Barker says:

I guess the Habs didn’t have enough scouts in Slovenia. Kind of a stupid question though. Give me the benefit re-drafting with the benefit of hindsight and I’ll build the greatest dynasty the NHL has ever seen.

37. RetroMikey says:

Price, 1 year at 1.5million, no more!

You have to earn what you are worth considering he knows he has the Number 1 job locked up even before training camp starts.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

38. Bugs says:

No num1 centre, Kopitar and Halak, or no num1 centre and Price…

No num1 centre, Kopitar and Halak, or no num1 centre and Price….

Hmmm…it’s a tough one.

I’d need more time to think about it but my preliminary impulse would be to go with the Kopitar option. Call me craaazy.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

39. Mike Boone says:

Didn’t you see a Clint movie, like, a week ago?

Can’t you have a little diversity in your cultural life. Like a Fellini movie, or Bergman. Or do you want to just stagnate?

40. Exit716 says:

It’s not just Price, it’s the whole Echo Boomer generation that’s been coddled and spoon-fed and told they’re the greatest ever that can’t handle adversity or reality.

41. Danno says:

I am just speculating, but maybe the logic was to liberate enough cap space first in order to be able to match any offer sheets that might potentially come up. Now with the other clubs seeing what Montreal has room to manoeuver ($) they are probably less inclined to make that offer now thus putting the organization in a position of strength for negotiations.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

42. TommyB says:

Just curious here, what would be your job description of a “true” #1 centre?

43. Bugs says:

“Price at what price”? Didn’t we have a post titled that, like, a week ago, Booner? Can’t you mix it up a bit? Try some literary diversity? “Setting the price”, “MarketPrice”, whatever, it ain’t complicated. Lemme tell you that a little friggin diversity never hurt nobody but lack of innovation leads to social stagnation and you don’t want that, do you, Booner? Of course not.

The Kid is lookin at 4.7 mil left on the budget. Reckon he wants to get as much of it as he can and management is busy slappin his hands away. That’s what’s takin all this time. Gotta be.

On a different note: saw a Clint movie last night I’d never seen before. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, but whaddaya want me to say? I didn’t PLAN this. So anyway, finally get to see this Clint movie, which, yes, I know, I know, was RIGHT up my alley too, I know I’m sorry, don’t how I missed it, but still, anyway, the movie was “Firefox”.

And it was totally BITCHIN!

“Don’t say anything. Your words would be useless. Maybe even insulting. Just fly the damn plane.”

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

44. Favorite Son says:

Richard Labbe asks if the Canadiens would be better with Halak and Kopitar than with Price and of course, no Kopitar, The answer is of course “yes” because we still don’t have a #1 centre. I’m still ok with having Price as our goalie but that means not having a true #1 centre for a couple of years. Eller, imo, will be a #2 at most. Leblanc could make it but I don’t get my hopes up too quick in anyone’s case. And he’s still ~2 years away. Desharnais? Too small. Trotter? Meh, maybe a #2…Maxwell? B*tch please. Enqvist? Basically they’re all “wait and see” and that wait is 2 years minimum.

Yes we can go the trade route, but we’ve also been saying that for a while now. We have no assets to give away for a #1 centre…So now we have to be patient and wait to see if any of our prospects can fill our need for that centre spot we so desperately need.

I’m optimistic about Price, I think he can do the job, but that doesn’t mean other holes on the team are automatically better.

45. Bob Barker says:

Offersheets are pretty rare and they are almost always matched. Outside of an offer sheet the only option for Price would be to not play. I doubt his agent would advise him to do that and lose a year of salary and development. Lots of notable RFAs remain unsigned such as Bobby Ryan and Devon Setoguchi. There’s no huge rush to get a deal done, as long as he’s signed in time for training camp.

46. andrewberkshire says:

I think those would be alright numbers on a per year contract, but certainly not averages.

47. dh says:

The habs can only match it up to a point.  I think that you’re right, I just don’t get why he wasn’t before Halak was traded or what is holding it up now.

48. HabFab says:

Maybe if the Price is Right!

However, first we have to play Let’s Make A Deal.

49. Mark C says:

Right you are, but those count as earned. Also, shouldn’t you have the final say on Price’s worth?

50. twocents says:

1 year 1.8

2 years 2.0

3 years, 2.2

Longer than 3 years is not advisble in my opinion, bu, here’s what I’d guess.

4 years 2.75

5 years 3.25

6 years 3.75

7 years or more 4.25

51. Bob Barker says:

The contract can have signing bonuses though. How can anyone expect Price to sign for less than 2 million when players like Kari Lehtonen and Pekka Rinne are getting over 3.4 million?

Dave! and not a penny more, until he shows he can Price and “Carry” the ball.

53. Clay4bc says:

Sorry Dave – had dinner about 3 hours ago! I called, but you didn’t answer…

I agree though…1.5 firm!

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

54. Clay4bc says:

No problem, Ian…it’s about time I earned my keep around here. 😉

55. punkster says:

I stick with my original; one year, $1.5M.

Call me crazy, call me irresponsible, just don’t call me late for dinner.

Thanks Clay.!

He won’t get a better offer! first if he did, the Habs would match it and secondly, most teams are set cap and goal tender commitment.

58. Clay4bc says:

Confirmation…from the NHL collective bargaining agreement…

What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the
    following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2)
    players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term
    injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on
    injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and
    senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

59. dh says:

Seriously, Price hasn’t signed yet.  Is it just that he’s in the woods without a cell or is he shopping around?

Don’t get me wrong – I hope he signs and plays well for us  (at least my kid’s Price sweaters and tees won’t go to the goodwill store) but why is everyone so sure that he will sign?  Management tells us over and over that it’s all about business.  What if Price gets a better offer?

60. Mark C says:

I think you are right, let me put in a call to Brisebois…oh wait.

That sounds strange! but it could be true?

62. Mark C says:

Ian, I would be all for that, but unfortunately Price cannot get bonuses on this next contract (believe only entry level contracts can have performance bonuses, may be wrong about that). Harding a career back-up with weaker numbers than Price just got $1.2; I have a hard time seeing Price settling for that low of a number.

Nothing to do with hockey, just Sunday morning chuckle. About agents!

64. Clay4bc says:

Ian…I agree with the 1.5 number, but I have heard he is not eligible for bonuses unless on an entry level contract…not sure of the truth of this claim, but I have seen it posted here several times now. If anyone knows decisively, it would be nice to know.

65. Bill J says:

My gut tells me your right.

Last year, hell the very first game of the season in fact.  Started on the “wrong foot” (Markov).

The Habs WILL compete, and IMO Price will flourish under these conditions.

66. homerbowen says:

While it may be a crap shoot I do believe we should try to lock Price up for a long(er) term. The last thing we need is to sign him to a 1 yr contract and he stands on his head and we have to deal with big $$$$ issues with our goalie next year. Sign him long(er) term for a reasonable salary. As for how much and how long leave it to the team managment to determine.

Mark. I am one of those that think around 1.5 with bonus, until he shows that he can carry the load first.

I think we are going to come out of the gate on fire this year. Not run away with anything, but we will be there off the hop, unlike the start last year.

True Dat, New. This years copy is an improvement so far. But like Cammalleri said this week, we will only know when they drop the puck.

70. Bill J says:

Toughest position to play in Hockey

in the toughest city to play in Hockey…

Making Price’s job the toughest job in the entire NHL.

Aside from the “inexperienced” part, agreed with this post Ian.  Some people really need to breathe in deeply before posting about Price.

71. New says:

Ian I think that the Club is aware of that. Fans and sportswriters might not be. I believe the team tried to run along those lines last year and an agent started doing his thing, fans and writers climbed on board, and now the Club starts all over again.

There are always a lot of divisive things lingering around any team of players. I like what the Club is trying to do, both last year and this. They want a team. This year Avastin, Eller, Boyd, and a couple others have a shot. Subban has a gimme (but others have blown that before), minor goaltending is solid, and the development system is there if the players are willing to go for it. Desire is most of success.

I wish Halak and his agent all the best, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Laraque, as well, but I frankly believe that for the Montreal Canadiens to become a team some individuals had to go. We all think we could do better if only ______ but on a team you have to put that aside, and certainly not go public in any fashion. Questions to Habs players should be “How are you going to beat Fleury or stop Ovechkin?” not “What do you have to say about your team mate’s comments?”

72. Mark C says:

So an agent thinks $2.3-$2.5 short-term…prepare for an apocalypse, some here think Price’s value is no more than $1.5.

Gee! Getting sucked in again talking about the goal position.

Well I will keep it simple. We have a very young and inexperienced kid at the NHL level, between the pipes for us this year.

He will get there, and be a very strong presence in this league over time. But remember, goal tenders generally mature and start to reach their full potential around 26 or 28 years old. Unlike the forwards positions.

The question is, will we be patient enough with him as he seasons at this level. He has talent for sure that will be honed over the next few years. The confidence and mental part of his game will come along only by putting in the time. This is the toughest position to play in hockey and he has to earn trust and respect from every team mate if he is going to excel.

There will be many mistakes made to be sure, without them one never learns. Patience is the key!

74. nightmare_49 says:

No need to lose their heads over the cap / Hockey notes / Kevin Paul Dupont

Commissioner Gary Bettman, meanwhile, saw his compensation increase by nearly 100 percent, from $3.77 million pre-lockout to $7.23 million in the year ended June 30, 2009 (figures via SportsBusiness Journal). Second in command Bill Daly grossed $1.9 million in that same period. And league disciplinarian Colin Campbell, who bollixed the Matt CookeMarc Savard situation, made $1.39 million