Price at what price?

Short term, $2.3 million to $2.5 million, an agent tells Richard Labbé.

That’s it for reasonably fresh Canadiens stuff, peeps.

If you can find more, post the links in the Comments section.

Otherwise, just kick back and enjoy your Sunday.

Who’s in nets?

wfmvkO5x6Ng

1. TripleX says:

Excellent point. I vividly remember from a sociology class a couple of surveys that were done on students from the 1950s and 1980s.

The survey asked the question “do you think you are important?”.  In the 50s 12% of the students answered yes.  In the 80s 80% of the females and 77% of the males said YES.  LMAO

If anything the following decades are probably MORE self entitled and self important.  It is the boomer generation that created this mess.

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

2. Bill J says:

Yeah because the centennial season fiasco falls SOLELY on Carey Price in the 2nd half of that season eh ?

If you are unwilling to use your head when reading my posts, please skip over them.

3. Bill J says:

I think you are reading too much into that conspiracy theory.

If you are correct, do you explain the Eastern Conference Finals as the “team” saying: “Jaro needs to go, we want Carey back” ?

The conspiracy theory works both ways ;)

4. The Cat says:

It happened so many more times to Price though…You know Im gonna get it for this but I dont believe it was weird dumb luck, the team liked Halak better as a person I think. Price does not strike me as likeable for some reason, but thats ok Roy wasnt likeable, but Roy had won and had therefore the carte blanche to get away with more.

5. montreal1 says:

I couldn’t agree with you more, Carey has shown some great flashes of pure raw talent, this past season was a huge write off, I just remember when he broke into the NHL, then it all makes sense why gainey selected him, I have a great feeling about Carey this season, get him locked up for 2-3 seasons !

6. habs4last says:

Price is a thief!

he has stolen habs $$$$ for 3 years now and played as a minor leaguer!

doesn’t matter tho because he’ll be traded for a bag of peanuts at the trade deadline.

never had it, still doesn’t and never will. the kid is clueless just like Gauthier!

7. Favorite Son says:

And why are we comparing Price with Pouliot? I agree with you, Price probably won’t get less than $2M, I just don’t see how Pouliot is relevant in this argument.

8. Bill J says:

Cat – you missed the point of my post perhaps ?

Up to Price’s injury, this “question” was not a question.

This season, was weird dumb bad luck.

The same dumb bad luck that Halak felt at the hands of the Flyers in the Conference Finals.

When the team can’t seem to score in front of the goalie, doesn’t matter WHO the goalie is.  It will be hard to register the W’s.

Look past this season, and the W’s are more in Price’s favor.

9. andrewberkshire says:

Lack of focus, I don’t think that’s a secret. His intensity at time last year was just terrible.

10. montreal1 says:

I would like to at least see price locked up for the next 2-3 seasons, just imagine price having a fantastic season on a 1 year contract, next seasons contract negotiations would be much more inflated. I just hope a minimum 2 years I would be content with that, my gut is telling me this season we will see the Carey price that justbroke into the NHL, I just feel like a crackhead waiting for the hockey season to start, very dry time in terms of sports right now.

11. HabFanSince72 says:

Pouliot got $1.35M.

No way Price gets less than $2M

12. The Cat says:

Price isnt terrible and he doesnt suck, I dont dispute that, however there has to be something about him that has prevented him from getting the Ws when compared to Halak for example.

13. Bill J says:

+1 – This one never gets old!

lol

14. Bill J says:

LMFAO! Good point.  Some folks could benefit from remembering more then just this past season.

Even with the hardships Price faced in the previous season, he was absolutely BRILLIANT in the first half of that season.  Not that long ago, but you would think Price had a horrid 3 seasons based on what some people post here.

15. Big Bird says:

History will be made.  A la Pierre McGuire:

16. SuperStarz says:

Kids this is what smoking crack does to you, it kills your long term memory

17. Favorite Son says:

Yes that’s true, but I guess what he’s saying is instead of drafting based on need, they went with hype.

For me the bigger disaster what the year AK was drafted.

18. Favorite Son says:

Scorer/playmaker with size, grit and speed. Do we have that right now? Gomez: no, Plekanec: no. Plekanec is a great #2 though.

Everyone has their own definition I guess. What’s yours?

19. The Cat says:

Not really…They had the same conversation last week.

20. Mark C says:

Couldn’t be more right Bobby, here are some numbers to back-up your statements: in recent history offer sheets have been given at an average rate of 1.25 a year. With all but one being matched, which was Penner and Edm.

21. Bugs says:

Damn right he shoulda. Good reasons or bad, they followed HIM. The guy perpetually created drama.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

Kovalev should get the “C”. Ah the good old days!!!

23. Bugs says:

Now tell him and his agent that.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

24. Bugs says:

Word to the big bird.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

25. Bugs says:

Didn’t you breathe air last week, how bout some diversity? C’mon, Booner. You’ll need to do better than that.

I do have diversity. Last week, it was “Solaris”. (boy, was that a mistake; b-b-b-boooooo-Ring)

A Fellini movie? What is that, a documentary about how to cook noodles? Not my thing.

Clint wouldn’t be caught dead in a Bergman movie. That’s not diversity; that’s death by ennui.

When you use my words against me though, all it does is flatter me, Booner, for it tells me you recognize their impact would be better suited to represent your point than your words would. That is tactical mistake, as shown in first line of this post because I master MY words better than you do. Shouldn’t use that as tool of rhetoric if I were you.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

26. Mattyleg says:

Wow, parry and THRUST!

“A hit, a very palpable hit.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. Bob Barker says:

I guess the Habs didn’t have enough scouts in Slovenia. Kind of a stupid question though. Give me the benefit re-drafting with the benefit of hindsight and I’ll build the greatest dynasty the NHL has ever seen.

28. RetroMikey says:

Price, 1 year at 1.5million, no more!

You have to earn what you are worth considering he knows he has the Number 1 job locked up even before training camp starts.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

29. Bugs says:

No num1 centre, Kopitar and Halak, or no num1 centre and Price…

Hmmm…

No num1 centre, Kopitar and Halak, or no num1 centre and Price….

Hmmm…it’s a tough one.

I’d need more time to think about it but my preliminary impulse would be to go with the Kopitar option. Call me craaazy.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

30. Mike Boone says:

Didn’t you see a Clint movie, like, a week ago?

Can’t you have a little diversity in your cultural life. Like a Fellini movie, or Bergman. Or do you want to just stagnate?

31. Exit716 says:

It’s not just Price, it’s the whole Echo Boomer generation that’s been coddled and spoon-fed and told they’re the greatest ever that can’t handle adversity or reality.

32. Danno says:

I am just speculating, but maybe the logic was to liberate enough cap space first in order to be able to match any offer sheets that might potentially come up. Now with the other clubs seeing what Montreal has room to manoeuver ($) they are probably less inclined to make that offer now thus putting the organization in a position of strength for negotiations.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

33. TommyB says:

Just curious here, what would be your job description of a “true” #1 centre?

34. Bugs says:

“Price at what price”? Didn’t we have a post titled that, like, a week ago, Booner? Can’t you mix it up a bit? Try some literary diversity? “Setting the price”, “MarketPrice”, whatever, it ain’t complicated. Lemme tell you that a little friggin diversity never hurt nobody but lack of innovation leads to social stagnation and you don’t want that, do you, Booner? Of course not.

The Kid is lookin at 4.7 mil left on the budget. Reckon he wants to get as much of it as he can and management is busy slappin his hands away. That’s what’s takin all this time. Gotta be.

On a different note: saw a Clint movie last night I’d never seen before. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, but whaddaya want me to say? I didn’t PLAN this. So anyway, finally get to see this Clint movie, which, yes, I know, I know, was RIGHT up my alley too, I know I’m sorry, don’t how I missed it, but still, anyway, the movie was “Firefox”.

And it was totally BITCHIN!

“Don’t say anything. Your words would be useless. Maybe even insulting. Just fly the damn plane.”

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

35. Favorite Son says:

Richard Labbe asks if the Canadiens would be better with Halak and Kopitar than with Price and of course, no Kopitar, The answer is of course “yes” because we still don’t have a #1 centre. I’m still ok with having Price as our goalie but that means not having a true #1 centre for a couple of years. Eller, imo, will be a #2 at most. Leblanc could make it but I don’t get my hopes up too quick in anyone’s case. And he’s still ~2 years away. Desharnais? Too small. Trotter? Meh, maybe a #2…Maxwell? B*tch please. Enqvist? Basically they’re all “wait and see” and that wait is 2 years minimum.

Yes we can go the trade route, but we’ve also been saying that for a while now. We have no assets to give away for a #1 centre…So now we have to be patient and wait to see if any of our prospects can fill our need for that centre spot we so desperately need.

I’m optimistic about Price, I think he can do the job, but that doesn’t mean other holes on the team are automatically better.

36. Bob Barker says:

Offersheets are pretty rare and they are almost always matched. Outside of an offer sheet the only option for Price would be to not play. I doubt his agent would advise him to do that and lose a year of salary and development. Lots of notable RFAs remain unsigned such as Bobby Ryan and Devon Setoguchi. There’s no huge rush to get a deal done, as long as he’s signed in time for training camp.

37. andrewberkshire says:

I think those would be alright numbers on a per year contract, but certainly not averages.

38. dh says:

The habs can only match it up to a point.  I think that you’re right, I just don’t get why he wasn’t before Halak was traded or what is holding it up now.

39. HabFab says:

Maybe if the Price is Right!

However, first we have to play Let’s Make A Deal.

40. Mark C says:

Right you are, but those count as earned. Also, shouldn’t you have the final say on Price’s worth?

41. twocents says:

1 year 1.8

2 years 2.0

3 years, 2.2

Longer than 3 years is not advisble in my opinion, bu, here’s what I’d guess.

4 years 2.75

5 years 3.25

6 years 3.75

7 years or more 4.25

42. Bob Barker says:

The contract can have signing bonuses though. How can anyone expect Price to sign for less than 2 million when players like Kari Lehtonen and Pekka Rinne are getting over 3.4 million?

Dave! and not a penny more, until he shows he can Price and “Carry” the ball.

44. Clay4bc says:

Sorry Dave – had dinner about 3 hours ago! I called, but you didn’t answer…

I agree though…1.5 firm!

__________________________

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

45. Clay4bc says:

No problem, Ian…it’s about time I earned my keep around here. ;)

46. punkster says:

I stick with my original; one year, $1.5M.

Call me crazy, call me irresponsible, just don’t call me late for dinner.

FREE TIMO!

Thanks Clay.!

He won’t get a better offer! first if he did, the Habs would match it and secondly, most teams are set cap and goal tender commitment.

49. Clay4bc says:

Confirmation…from the NHL collective bargaining agreement…

PERFORMANCE BONUSES

What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the
    following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2)
    players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term
    injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on
    injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and
    senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

50. dh says:

Desjardin?

Seriously, Price hasn’t signed yet.  Is it just that he’s in the woods without a cell or is he shopping around?

Don’t get me wrong – I hope he signs and plays well for us  (at least my kid’s Price sweaters and tees won’t go to the goodwill store) but why is everyone so sure that he will sign?  Management tells us over and over that it’s all about business.  What if Price gets a better offer?

51. Mark C says:

I think you are right, let me put in a call to Brisebois…oh wait.

That sounds strange! but it could be true?

53. Mark C says:

Ian, I would be all for that, but unfortunately Price cannot get bonuses on this next contract (believe only entry level contracts can have performance bonuses, may be wrong about that). Harding a career back-up with weaker numbers than Price just got $1.2; I have a hard time seeing Price settling for that low of a number.

Nothing to do with hockey, just Sunday morning chuckle. About agents!

55. Clay4bc says:

Ian…I agree with the 1.5 number, but I have heard he is not eligible for bonuses unless on an entry level contract…not sure of the truth of this claim, but I have seen it posted here several times now. If anyone knows decisively, it would be nice to know.

56. Bill J says:

My gut tells me your right.

Last year, hell the very first game of the season in fact.  Started on the “wrong foot” (Markov).

The Habs WILL compete, and IMO Price will flourish under these conditions.

57. homerbowen says:

While it may be a crap shoot I do believe we should try to lock Price up for a long(er) term. The last thing we need is to sign him to a 1 yr contract and he stands on his head and we have to deal with big $$$$ issues with our goalie next year. Sign him long(er) term for a reasonable salary. As for how much and how long leave it to the team managment to determine.

Mark. I am one of those that think around 1.5 with bonus, until he shows that he can carry the load first.

Bill

I think we are going to come out of the gate on fire this year. Not run away with anything, but we will be there off the hop, unlike the start last year.

True Dat, New. This years copy is an improvement so far. But like Cammalleri said this week, we will only know when they drop the puck.

61. Bill J says:

Toughest position to play in Hockey

in the toughest city to play in Hockey…

Making Price’s job the toughest job in the entire NHL.

Aside from the “inexperienced” part, agreed with this post Ian.  Some people really need to breathe in deeply before posting about Price.

62. New says:

Ian I think that the Club is aware of that. Fans and sportswriters might not be. I believe the team tried to run along those lines last year and an agent started doing his thing, fans and writers climbed on board, and now the Club starts all over again.

There are always a lot of divisive things lingering around any team of players. I like what the Club is trying to do, both last year and this. They want a team. This year Avastin, Eller, Boyd, and a couple others have a shot. Subban has a gimme (but others have blown that before), minor goaltending is solid, and the development system is there if the players are willing to go for it. Desire is most of success.

I wish Halak and his agent all the best, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Laraque, as well, but I frankly believe that for the Montreal Canadiens to become a team some individuals had to go. We all think we could do better if only ______ but on a team you have to put that aside, and certainly not go public in any fashion. Questions to Habs players should be “How are you going to beat Fleury or stop Ovechkin?” not “What do you have to say about your team mate’s comments?”

63. G-Man says:

1. Gomez 2. Cammi 3. Gomez 4. No. 5. Pk good for 10. 6. BP 7. AK 8. Not one with top 6 ability over 82 games 9. 72pts. 12th top 14th 10. Moore.

64. Mark C says:

So an agent thinks $2.3-$2.5 short-term…prepare for an apocalypse, some here think Price’s value is no more than $1.5.

Gee! Getting sucked in again talking about the goal position.

Well I will keep it simple. We have a very young and inexperienced kid at the NHL level, between the pipes for us this year.

He will get there, and be a very strong presence in this league over time. But remember, goal tenders generally mature and start to reach their full potential around 26 or 28 years old. Unlike the forwards positions.

The question is, will we be patient enough with him as he seasons at this level. He has talent for sure that will be honed over the next few years. The confidence and mental part of his game will come along only by putting in the time. This is the toughest position to play in hockey and he has to earn trust and respect from every team mate if he is going to excel.

There will be many mistakes made to be sure, without them one never learns. Patience is the key!

66. nightmare_49 says:

No need to lose their heads over the cap / Hockey notes / Kevin Paul Dupont

Commissioner Gary Bettman, meanwhile, saw his compensation increase by nearly 100 percent, from $3.77 million pre-lockout to $7.23 million in the year ended June 30, 2009 (figures via SportsBusiness Journal). Second in command Bill Daly grossed $1.9 million in that same period. And league disciplinarian Colin Campbell, who bollixed the Matt Cooke-Marc Savard situation, made $1.39 million

67. RetroMikey says:

You’ve had this experience?

Does it really kill long term memory?

Oh my, we must get Bobby and Gauthier help tout de suite before signing Price to a long term contract!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

68. The Cat says:

Youre right..Never mix heineken and catnip by the way…I might have read the questions wrong but I was under the assumption that it was who on the team was more likely to hit 55, and not who will definitely hit it.

69. SeriousFan09 says:

Tired of reviewing the past, screw the decline post-93 and focus on the the future. Why should we have to consider the decline post-93 as the only thing to measure the team against?

Oh no! The Houle year teams didn’t do well, so we can’t do well… Enough with that and consider the team we’ve got I say.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

70. SmartDog says:

Respectfully….ARE YOU ON CATNIP?!!

You’re saying we’ll come in 12th in the division but Gomer will put up 55 assists and 80 points?  Something he’s only done ONCE in his (declining) career?  Gomer is not what you think he is, and Plekanec will outdo him once again.  I’ll bet all the kibble you want on that.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

71. TripleX says:

Just saying that going by recent history of the club, predicting a 100 point season is a stretch.

Discerning how many games were lost due to injuries is impossible to measure with any degree of accuracy.  There are just too many other variables at work.  Would they have won more games with a healthy roster?  Yes, of course.  How many is just speculation.

72. SmartDog says:

1. Pleks (who will beat Gomez for points again)

2. Cami (if anyone has a shot, it’s him)

3. Pleks (I think he’ll be out to prove he’s not relaxing because he got a new deal)

4. There is no-one on this team who will ever get 90 points

5. Yes!  But really, no.

6. Price… or Pouliot will break bad habits

7. Kostitsyn… or Pouliot will spin his wheels

8. Desharnais. We need more small guys.

9. 94 points, 6th in conference

10. Mike Modano though I’m not sure where he’d play

———Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

73. K-hab25 says:

It’s actually, including playoffs 20-37-10 in his last 67 starts. He was also 45-22-8 in his first 75 starts. I felt I’d mention that for 2 reasons. First, to show the people with no memories, how awsome this kid can be and secondly, how it can turn to crap overnight, hello Halak. So for those who think Halak is a proven commodity, should really pay attention to these #’s, because Price was just as “proven” as Halak and then the wheels came off. We’ll see this year if Price can get it back and if Halak can keep it going. My moneys on Price.

74. ZepFan2 says:

Psst, your caps lock is showing.

Awkward

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

75. ZepFan2 says:

Your everlastin’ summer.

you can see it fadin’ fast.

So you grab a piece of somethin’.

that you think is gonna last.

Well, you wouldn’t even know a diamond.

if you held it in your hand.

The things you think are precious.

I can’t understand.

OMG, you could be right!

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

76. Danno says:

Could I be a certified capologist — since I am very good at removing caps off beer bottles?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

77. SmartDog says:

I don’t think that qualifies you.  But you could be a mixologist!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

78. Danno says:

True.

And if I got the job and screwed up, as I surely would, I’d wind up being an apologist-capologist.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

79. SmartDog says:

It’s simple. If he were bigger the bones in his foot would be thicker and tougher. Of course his feet would be bigger so he’d get hit more. Hmmm… man, this is way complicated.  Call the capologist.  What?  We don’t have one?  Dang!  We’re screwed now.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

80. ed lopaz says:

thanks for the reply –  well thought out.

I don’t agree with you, but that’s fine.

81. K-hab25 says:

Which part, or did you just disagree with it all?

82. ed lopaz says:

we would need to sit down and talk it out – I take too much
    abuse on this site, its not worth it for me.
    I know the Habs SHOULD HAVE KEPT BOTH GOALIES, and COULD HAVE KEPT BOTH GOALIES.
    and the fact that they did not will cost Gauthier his job next summer – as Price has been put in an impossible situation, instead of being “protected” and allowed to work his way back into the # 1 job.

83. K-hab25 says:

I really would’ve liked both guys back for 2 reasons, 1. to see if Halak was for real 2. to see if Price bounced back. I really don’t like giving Pleks 5 mill a year. We could’ve payed Moore 2 mill to be the 2nd line guy for a year or two, rather than overpaying Pleks, isn’t Gomez’s contract enough. I mean we have 12.5 mill locked up in our top 2 centers, 23.5 in our top 4 fowards. I really would’ve prefered a short term fix , leaving us cap space for future trades and ufa’s. Unfotunately it didn’t happen that way and like you say, it all, unfairly so, is going to fall on Price’s shoulders. If he plays well and more importantly, outplays Halak, all is forgiven. If not, Gauthier will probably be gone and Price will probably be booed out of town. I just don’t get, like I said above, what answer it is your searching for. They didn’t do what I wanted either, but I don’t try and convince everyone else, that my opinion, is the right opinion. You’re a good poster Ed, don’t let this trade or everyone elses attacks, get to you.

84. ed lopaz says:

just reading your post gives me hope again!! you and I are ENTIRELY on the same page.

I’m not trying to convince anyone here  -just posting my opinions, that’s all.

85. K-hab25 says:

Well keep posting Ed, I always like well thought out posts, even if I don’t agree. It’s always good to hear both sides of a subject. Chris was one of my favorite posters and I rarely agreed with him, but he always posted facts to back up his opinions. Something alot of posters rarely do, they just through out skewed opinions, with zero facts to back them up.

86. StevieRay says:

Absolutely …..!!!!

Gomez needs to go

87. le_vrai_jacques says:

Yes, the bigger the better. The perfect example: Benoît Brunet, ein sehr gros bonhomme, never injured

88. showey47 says:

Is that why gill and obyrne missed a ton of games also? They were too small? Gomez missed 4 games this year,hardly a “ton”. He has never missed more then 10 games in a season in his career. Is breaking your foot blocking a shot like gionta did caused by being too small? Isn’t that why obyrne and gill missed time this year? Cammy’s injury was a cheap shot and he also has played at least 80 games 3 times in the last 5 years. Why are this players injured because they are “too small” now when they were the save size or smaller in previous years and were not injured? Use your head before making such a stupid comment,or is your brain too small? Guess you missed the playoffs when 5’9″ cammy led the playoffs in goals and 5’7″gionta was 5th while that 6’3″ pouliot and 6′ 210 lb AK46 were nowhere to be found.

89. homerbowen says:

Gomez, Gionta and Cammeleri all missed a ton of games (injury) because they are too small. We need bigger players. Move at least one of them.

90. ooder says:

so Gionta would not have broken his foot from getting hit by Cammy’s slapshot if he was bigger???

um ok

——————

88 is the new 23

91. StevieRay says:

We just know what we’re talking about …. sorry man ! you need to pay attention more

92. W35T5ID3 says:

NAG NAG NAG……We shoulda kept Halak,We’re too small,gomez is overpaid,JM is an idiot,the scouting department licks,Gill is too slow,Price sux,Price rules,PG is a crappy GM,shoulda kept guy boucher…………etc etc etc……………..ALL OF THESE NAGS ARE THINGS PEOPLE ON THIS SITE B*TCH ABOUT.

E N O U G H        A L R E A D Y

93. W35T5ID3 says:

ONLY I MAY B*TCH AND NAG.

94. J.J. of Turku says:

I’d like to nag about the weather…

At our summerplace is 32,6 celsius inside the house and no airconditioning…  I miss the winter and hockey… Only place cool ennough would my car if the engine is running (diesel costs almost 1,75 CAD/litre).

95. The Cat says:

Yesterday I was driving with the wife and kids and then a big storm broke out, the rain/hale was outrageous, my wipers couldnt keep up while driving 20 km/h. To make it even more pleasant my air conditioning in the van wasnt working and the heat of the engine was coming through the vents and there was no way to bring down the windows, cause of the massive rain and lightning.

96. Danno says:

The hotter it gets the more we use our air conditioning. And the more we use our air conditioning the hotter it gets. And on it goes…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

97. Caper says:

It’s Price’s fault.

98. christophor says:

if price was shown “respect” in the playoffs, there would’nt have been an unshocking trade.

halak’s value shot up because of the playoffs.

also, why don’t you think management is capable of thinking both long and short term? maybe late in the season and during the playoffs the mentality was “halak is the present because he is better now”, but at the same time they also believed “price is the future because he is better in 2-3 or 7 years”?

this way you get:

(1) maximum success in the present (ECF)

(2) maximum trade value for halak at the top of his game

(3) maximum future talent in net (price)

i’m not saying i necessarily agree but that seems like consistent logic to me. so i don’t see how your “respect-disrespect” theory makes sense.

also, its unfortunate that price wasn’t signed before halak was traded, but does anyone here really think price would have signed in those circumstances? he’d know he would get more elsewhere plus a starting role. he was bound to get starters money ($2mill +) in montreal or elsewhere.

99. Mark C says:

If Price was the #1 goalie how come Halak got all the games in April and started 14 games compared to Price’s 5 after the Olympics? Also, Halak and a higher SV% post-Olympics, even better than Price’s, March was Price’s 2nd best SV% month.

100. barriesc says:

are you for real man…..or just a borderline idiot?

101. Caper says:

I’m a Price guy however….you should read your comments over and I think you might want to take a few things back.

102. The Cat says:

Only thing I dont understand Ed is why you expected Price to get the call. I mean from the organization’s point of view sure they want to prop him up, but from a hockey sense, Halak had won the benefit of the doubt over Price. And Im not sure that was disrespectful, it was more respectful toward Halak…for once.

103. Duracell3 says:

You are assuming Carey Price was a #1 goalie last season. If the guy who goes 13-20-5 is #1 in your mind, and the guy who is 26-13-5 is your backup, there is nothing more that can be said.

104. K-hab25 says:

You wankers below do realise that Ed is a big time Halakite don’t you. He’s basically saying why did they even let Halak be the #1 down the stretch if they knew they weren’t going to keep him anyway. He’s still a little bitter over Halak being traded and he’s searching for an answer to satisfy his question, “WHY?” Ed’s a good guy, so you guys should take it easy on him.

105. ed lopaz says:

all this discussion about Price is entirely brought on by the curious decisions that JM and PG made last season.

if Price was working hard in practice, and Price was acting like a good teammate, and Price was playing much better hockey after the olympics – all true –

then management should have had the respect for their #1 goalie and started Price in the playoffs.

sounds so simple.

even Halak played terrible the last few games of the regular season, and against easy opponents who we should have beat, we kept losing the key games that would have clinched our playoff spot.

I kept waiting for Price to get the call – but it never came.

Then they went to Halak to start the playoffs – why?

That was short sighted and disrespectful to Price.

Halak played very well in game 1, and then we had a 4-1 lead in game 2, and Halak shiit the bed completely.

But still they came back to Halak in game 3 vs Washington – and again showed no respect for Price.

Finally Price got the start in game 4 and we lost badly that game.

But instead of just sticking with Price – now that he was the starter in game 4 -again they went back to Halak in game 5.

WHY???

From game 4 vs washington, until game 5 vs Philly, Halak won 8 games and lost 7.

There were many opportunities to go back to Price – ESPECIALLY IN THE PHILLY SERIES.

None of this is on Price.

None of this is Price’s fault.

We all want Price to do well, and We all want the habs to win.

But some of us are disputing the intelligence of this “great management team” we have in place.

And if you are a Price fan, weren’t you pissed that Price was so disrespected last playoffs???

If Price would have been played as the # 1 goalie late last season and in the playoffs, the trade would not

have shocked so many people at all. The trade would have made perfect sense, in fact.

If Price would have been played as the # 1 goalie, maybe he would have signed a contract by now.

106. sholi2000.com says:

then management should have had the respect for their #1 goalie and
    started Price in the playoffs.

Management had to build Halak up so they could move him.  That’s all that happened last season.

They Call Me Shane

107. K-hab25 says:

First off Ed, the head coach decides who to play in net not the front office. Martin decided in March Halak was his guy and it would’ve taken a major meltdown from Halak, combined with Price playing great to change his mind. We saw the meltdown, thus Price getting the start in game 4, but despite him playing great for 50 minutes, he gave up 2 goals in the final ten and had an unsportsmanlike penalty aswell. That sealed it, Halak was going to get the starts the rest of the way. I really don’t get your angle. You’ve been posting this same post ever since Halak got traded. I really don’t know what answer your hoping for. I, like you, wanted both goalies back. I would’ve prefered Halak over Pleks, but management prefered Pleks/Price over Halak/Price. It really has nothing to do with them prefering Price. I feel it was basically they felt Price could replace Halak easier than the guys they had to replace Pleks. Really it is that simple. As JD pointed out, they’d get much more back for Halak if other teams didn’t know they were going to keep Price, so they couldn’t sign him before they traded Halak, or they’d weaken Halak’s value. As a Price fan, I wasn’t upset at all about Halak getting the starts. At that time Price had 2 starts in a month and only 5 starts after the olympic break. It wouldn’t have been very intelligent to start him in the playoffs with only 5 starts since the olympic break in FEB. To me if you think keeping Pleks was a good decision, than you should think trading Halak was also a good decision.

108. J.J. of Turku says:

Hmmmmm…..

I guess you won… :)

109. The Cat says:

Wooohooo :)

Ha! Whatever happened to “Yes we can?”

111. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Maybe Price is waiting for JM to make an offical announcement that CP will be the starting goalie and stands behind his decisions no matter what the outcome is during this season. Right now JM might have no idea what CP is up to and hopes to get a deal done sooner than later perhaps?

CP is waiting for the real deal and is holding out for the best offer that will suit both parties. Right now CP holds the trump card and might not show up until a deal is done. CP for President.

Worse case is CP sits out and waits for a better offer to come. That might put some bad blood amongst the team and many players might just gives up on CP for good. Wouldn’t that spell disaster? Could be a very bad situation if matters ever went that way and man the bashing would go on and on like a durcell battery.

112. The Capitalist Pig says:

Well, that should put the Habs over the top!

113. Favorite Son says:

Oh so that’s what’s been holding up the Price signing…they’ve been too busy negotiating with Allard. Oh well, at least we’ve got our therapist for when Price loses it.

114. Bill J says:

Slow Habs news day when “someone I never knew existed” replaces “someone I never knew existed” is Habs news of ANY importance.

lol

115. The Capitalist Pig says:

What the story missed is that the new physio has a cannon from the point and will be taking over MAB’s role as well.

116. W35T5ID3 says:

TRADE PRICE TO BLUES FOR HALAK

117. K-hab25 says:

We better get more than just Halak back or I’d be pissed!!!

118. HabFanSince72 says:

The biggest problem with the goalie situation (with Halak traded, if Price has even a few bad games the crowd will turn on him) isn’t Price, it isn’t Gauthier, and it isn’t Halak.

The biggest problem is jerkoff fans who boo their own team. Many of whom post here regularly. The “Gauthier is a moron”, “Price sucks”, brigade.

You (and you know who you  are) are the albatross around the Habs neck.

119. crabvader says:

The same people who sing: “Na, na, na, na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye?” when there are still two periods to be played?

The people who booed Craig Rivet his first game back in a different uni in a situation he couldn’t control? The same Craig Rivet who was a genuinely nice guy, who took the time to talk to all of his fans and played his ass off (even though not the best defenceman in the world) for this team?

The same people that use a Montreal playoff win as an excuse to break into Le Rouet?

The same people that boo the American national anthem?

They’re idiots. The whole lot of them. Pure idiots who should spend more time sulking in their poutine that we aren’t an independent country. Hockey clearly isn’t for them.

120. Chorske says:

The reconstruction continues.

No matter what these presidents and GMs say, they always prefer to bring in their own guys eventually.

Here’s hoping this new guy can help the Habs stay out of the clinic this year. Last year was a mess.

121. Chorske says:

And he also has une bonne premiere passe.

122. crabvader says:

Well, we already got a supposed NHL-ready 1st round pick and a… excuse my Pierre McGuire-ness here… MONSTER 3rd rounder that can shape up to be a power forward who can kick some serious ass.

Let me ask you something. If we traded Halak for a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick, how would you feel?

Would you be happier than getting Lars Eller and Ian Schultz?

We basically traded an RFA’s rights for a 1st and 3rd rounder.

If Halak would’ve been offer-sheeted (which is very probable), we’d have to match a disgusting amount of money to retain his services OR let him go for guess what? A first round pick and a third round pick.

I am still on the fence about Alex Auld… I would’ve liked a back-up who could carry a little more on his shoulders just in case Carey Price doesn’t pan out… but as far as Halak goes, we got very good market value for him.

We got a 1st rounder and a 3rd who are MUCH more NHL ready than any picks we would’ve had in 2011.

123. habs001 says:

last year there were hardly any goals that price or halak gave up that posters did not feel the goalies should have stopped .., based on these posters we should have given up only about 60 goals all year…people have to realize that in the 101 games that we played we were outplayed 75% of the time…

124. crabvader says:

It was a mess… Not much you can do about the types of injuries they sustained though…

Sliced tendons, MCL, broken ankle due to a slapshot…

Considering, we came out pretty well… Markov came back MUCH earlier than anticipated, Gionta took the necessary time (after playing for a couple of weeks with the broken foot), Cammalleri also and so on…

The only guy who stayed injured was Laraque and his infamous nether regions and back. I don’t remember many players sitting out due to lingering injuries last year…

125. The Capitalist Pig says:

PG brought in Allard because there is no one in the game today that combines physical therapy techniques with bold stir-fry vegetable combinations as well as him. Truth be told, BGL recommended him for the position.

126. kempie says:

That’s the absolute truth. The bigger problem is that, in almost any crowd, the biggest morons are the most vocal.

127. naweed235 says:

so i guess Gagne to the Lightning is almost official as per RDS…

man this sux… there is no denying that TB is going to be a heck of a team  and IMHO a power house in the east very soon with the direction they are going…

128. crabvader says:

We were probably the most inconsistent team in the league.

Some teams sucked consistently and some teams were great consistently…

We were neither. We’d get a few wins just to follow em up by a few losses. The only time we started pulling together as a team was really during the playoffs.

Of course that didn’t help against much bigger players… We are slowly fixing the situation. Jarred Tinordi is a long-term solution. Ian Schultz can play as early as this year (I’d say around January if the situation is dire) and we got Dustin Boyd and Lars Eller who are both robust kids. Boyd is 6’0 and has VALUABLE experience playing in the rugged Western conference. Eller is 6’1 and isn’t afraid of contact. If Pouliot and his conditioning coach manage to put on the 12-15lbs he’s looking for, he can be another threat at 6’3 and he would be around 212-215lbs.

If Andreas Engqvist manages to make the jump, there’s another big man @ 6’3 and 200lbs who can manage to put on some more.

The effort was there during the playoffs. No one can deny that. Some guys were invisible, for sure… but all in all we saw our team come together and never give up on a game.

Philly outmuscled us in ever aspect of the game and there’s not much our little guys are gonna do against a team that probably has an average height of around 6’1 and plays a bodychecking style of game.

Still, we can match any skilled team stride for stride and we saw that against Washington and Pittsburgh. The only element we are missing is physicality and it seems to be piecing itself together slowly.

129. HabFanSince72 says:

Pure idiots who should spend more time sulking in their poutine that we
    aren’t an independent country.

See,  you’re also a jerk.

130. crabvader says:

What’s Philly getting in return? Picks?

131. crabvader says:

Yeah, but I never denied it in the first place.

I’m also not gonna be one to distract my hockey team.

132. Halak the Franchise says:

Not to mention, his use of tofu is unparalleled.

133. naweed235 says:

not mentioned but that would be my guess or some prospects…

134. The Capitalist Pig says:

He is in fact: The Most Interesting Physio in the World!

Well boys and girls check this one out about the big O—-

Ovechkin takes a job with a Russian team

136. PrimeTime says:

If I’m Price, no way I sign another contract to play in MTL. I’m holding out and forcing a trade which is what is likely quietly happening.

The “People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock

The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

137. crabvader says:

Is there anything he can’t do? Besides beat us, of course…

138. The Capitalist Pig says:

If that were the case, they would never have dealt Halak.

139. SmartDog says:

LOL

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

140. Brocas Brain says:

I am told Price is already signed they are just waiting and keeping the cap space open until kovy is signed because once he is signed it will trigger the Gagne trade to MTL.  If Gagne does get traded expect Gill to go to Bluejackets.

141. andrewberkshire says:

So I guess every single other marquee RFA that hasn’t signed is doing the same? Useless speculation.

142. SeriousFan09 says:

I am told Crosby is being traded for Gomez straight-up.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

143. crabvader says:

Why?

Boring Sunday?

144. The Cat says:

Stop listening to people in dark alleys.

145. K-hab25 says:

Say What? I was just messing with the guy who wants Halak back. I was saying we better get more than just Halak if we’re giving them Price. You know, because I think Price is worth more than Halak. I personally liked what we got for Halak, an NHL ready player and a big strong prospect.

146. Bugs says:

I know I shouldn’t ask but uhh, told by who?

Uncle Reggie? Huh, is it uncle Reggie?

It’s uncle Reggie, isn’t it?

Yeah, listen, uncle Reggie ain’t that good a source. Sorry you have to hear it this way but uncle Reggie don’t count.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

147. Bugs says:

If you were Price, you wouldn’t’ve even made it THIS far with that kind of loser-talk.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

148. Xtrahabsfan says:

PEOPLE IN DARK ALLEYS….whats that like…lol;)

149. bwoar says:

Labbe’s agenda is garbage.  Pretension towards journalism rather than the real thing.

150. habs001 says:

i agree…the points you made is the reason the habs should be a real contender in 2-3 years..also we will have cap room and hopefully kristo and leblanc become quality forwards..

151. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Stop believing rumours from guys in back-alleys who are also selling drugs. It’s Gomez, Gill and Moen in a three way deal that will end up with Gagne, Malkin and Staal coming here. I got this directly from an octopus.

152. habs001 says:

the team last year showed that over 101 games they were basically a 500 team…night in night out the majority of the games were one or 2 goal games… all the teams in the nhl would have given the habs a tough playoff series and while we could win a playoff series vs most teams we could also lose to most teams…i believe the habs potential will be in 2-3 years…in the meantime the hope is to make the playoffs and produce upsets or get favourable matchups..there are very few teams in the nhl that we will beat because we are more talented

153. Bugs says:

Some memorable games:

First game of the season.

The Ohio State Massacre.

March of the Centennial Brigade.

The Florida free-for-all.

Laraque earthquake game featuring Cammy spin-o-rama.

Canadiens schooling the Rangers.

When we began to Believe.

Screwing the Cappers.

Anaheim rope-a-dope featuring Markov punch in the kisser.

Flyers beat everyone…except Halak.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

154. scrowe21 says:

great highlights…..but maaaan price lets in a ton of soft goals..terrible.

155. K-hab25 says:

great highlights….. man does Price make some incredible saves… awesome!!!

156. kempie says:

I think your air conditioner is broken. It’s not supposed to work like that.

157. Chuck says:

I’d try turning your air conditioner around so that the other half of it is facing out the window.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

158. punkster says:

Nope, he’s standing on the wrong side. He supposed to stay INSIDE his house.

FREE TIMO!

159. jkirk says:

So Price posts a losing average for the last season and a half, he presides over a Boston sweep, then he loses a battle for the number one position last season by posting a mirror image win-loss record with his rival (who played in front of the same team), and then he gets rewarded with the number one goalie spot and a big raise. Maybe next year he’ll do even worse, and earn the right to be captain.

if he only gets a one year contract, let’s just hope Price doesn’t get us to the third round of the playoffs this season, or we won’t be able to afford him for the next one, since apparently we can only afford a goalie on the basis of his potential, rather than his achievements.

Bah! This whole situation is insane.

160. The Cat says:

Id almost bet theyll sign Price longterm.

161. Halak the Franchise says:

Price wins.  When it comes to the faith of management, the contract and the battle with Halak, Price wins.  The Habs, not so much.

162. adam76 says:

Bah! This whole situation is insane.

Best line of 2010 – HANDS DOWN.

163. The Capitalist Pig says:

Be fair! Carey Price is the best goalie the Habs have had since Phil Myre!

164. ed lopaz says:

borderline idiot? thanks. at least I’m not completely over the edge already, just on the “border”.

165. jkirk says:

I think you’re right. It’s so sad. I’m going to go pet a tribble or something.

166. The Capitalist Pig says:

“Habs’ goalie for life!”

167. K-hab25 says:

“YAAA BOOOOYYYY!!!”

168. The Capitalist Pig says:

“Long live the king!”

169. K-hab25 says:

That’s exactly what he’ll be if he regains the 40-16-8 form he had in his first year and half. If he plays like the 20-32-10 form of the last year and half, he’ll be the court jester, probably for another team. We’ll see, I for one am hoping for King Carey, not Court Jester Price.

170. The Cat says:

I think the situation reminds me of (insert poor south american country here) where the people voted for a new king (Halak) but the US came along and propped up the other guy (Price). Its just my feeling that people better hope for a GAA of under 2 by Price to make the playoffs.

171. The Capitalist Pig says:

Leave the US out of this. None of our franchises went near this geezer with a stick.

172. G-Man says:

$2 mil- otherwise bring up Sanford and the cost of Habs goalies drops to 1.55mil. They will probably suck but will at least reach expectations. Price, on the other hand…

173. Danno says:

Three years – $1.8, $2.0, $2.2 million

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

174. HabFanSince72 says:

Trade Price, bring back Theo.

175. Bill J says:

I know this post was meant to be funny.

But wanted to touch on something I read yesterday.

Habs where interested in bringing Theo back (as backup to Price) but apparently Theo said “No Thanks”

176. Favorite Son says:

Any Habs rumors?

177. The Capitalist Pig says:

Nothing juicy, just the usual Carey-Price yank-a-thon.

178. JoeMuzz says:

I think Pierre Gauthier should trade Price for Jaroslav Halak. Straight up !

And if St-Louis doesn’t want we could also trow in Lars Eller !!!!!

179. 23 HABS 23 says:

I don’t know / understand why you would want Halak back in Montreal.  He did get hot in the playoffs, no doubt about it – and he was fun to watch … but IMHO, he is not a proven starting goaltender.  He has never played a full season – nor does he look to have the stamina to carry the full load of the season – in addition to a deep run in the playoffs.  I also do not believe that Halak single handedly carried the Canadiens through the end of the season or the playoffs – It was a all out team effort – If you do not believe that, then you must be expecting St. Louis to make the playoffs and contend for the cup right?  I mean if Halak is all you need on a team.

I also believe that Halak would not be able to duplicate his great performance the following season / playoffs.  Halak (and his agent) wanted Halak traded out of Montreal anyway – plus his agent is an IDIOT!  And that would can come back to haunt a team come re-negotiation down the road.

Anyway, I can only hope that HABS fans who were once die-hard Halak fans can come to their senses and embrace and support Price … I believe he can be the goalie Montreal has been so longing for – So don;t be so quick to throw Price under the bus.  He is young and very talented – Halak, on the other hand (again IMHO), has peaked and we as HAB fans may have seen his very best in the 2009 – 2010 season/playoffs.  I hope they have a real solid back up in St. Louis … They are going to need it!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

180. TommyB says:

Excellent article.  Thanks for posting that.

181. Danno says:

I also enjoyed that thoughtful piece. Thanks!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

182. Bill J says:

Excellent post Mr Robert L.

Thanks for posting it it Bryan.

It’s ultimately what I’ve been saying for some time, booing ? SUCKS!

It’s sheer stupidity to boo your own team, or it’s players.

183. Clay4bc says:

The heart of his (Robert L’s) argument is as follows…We should be worried about how Price feels, because he is sensitive, and needs special treatment. His feelings are easily hurt, so we need to just love him, no matter how he performs on the ice.

This tells me Price is in the wrong city, if not the wrong profession.

Personally, I think he should suck it up and be a man. Rocket Richard got booed in this city. Patrick Roy got booed in this city. And these were hall of fame players…When Price has accomplished even a tenth of what one of those players have, I will care how he feels. Until that time, he needs to suck it up, pull up his socks (as it were), and win some games. Let’s all hope he can do so, because much is riding on him this season…

__________________________

Another take on the NHL goalie market.

185. Halak the Franchise says:

Oh Carey! Stop my puck!  Or not.  Management doesn’t care either way.

186. The Capitalist Pig says:

When you’re confronted with a yank-a-thon, just watch the real Yanks on the YES network!

187. Favorite Son says:

Poor Carey. The second he’s going to start sucking, they’re going to go ape sh*t on his *ss.

188. The Capitalist Pig says:

He isn’t going to be given 25 games to gel by the Bell Center fans. That’s for sure.

189. ed lopaz says:

he might not be given 25 minutes, and its not his fault.

190. Favorite Son says:

That’s too bad about your username…Carey’s the franchise now! The Price is right b*tch!

191. The Capitalist Pig says:

No, it’s not. He’s the one guy that they should have let marinate down in the AHL for at least another season.

192. The Capitalist Pig says:

If he’s not, the 2010-11 campaign will be known as “Auld Lang Syne!”

193. Favorite Son says:

But he’s a thoroughbred…

194. The Capitalist Pig says:

Thoroughly bred to do what?

195. Halak the Franchise says:

And if the Price is wrong, I’m sure he’ll still be really proud of all his classy fans.

196. Halak the Franchise says:

Lose it when the pressure’s on?

197. The Capitalist Pig says:

I wonder how long Auld remains a Hab once Carey feels him breathing down his neck for the #1 job?

198. Halak the Franchise says:

He’s going to have to suck for his own protection.

199. Favorite Son says:

I don’t know…something about baking bread…

200. The Capitalist Pig says:

Bold Prediction: After the first home game he plays badly, he is going to have a nervous breakdown.

201. K-hab25 says:

He’s still the “franchise”, just for the Blues. The real “FRANCHISE” still resides in Montreal, but you 2 are more than welcome to cheer for your “franchise”, I’ll be cheering for the “FRANCHISE”!!!

202. pmaraw says:

I doubt it.

203. Danno says:

But only if the Price is Wrong.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

204. Clay4bc says:

Great read…it really puts Halak’s playoff performance in historical perspective. As I thought – it measures up to the best of all time.

205. nightmare_49 says:

A Summer to Forget for the KHL – Puck World International

206. CanadienBoy says:

Good read ,best part are youngs players coming over  for glory over oil $$$.

207. The Cat says:

I guess he means if the organization had this vision or plan with Price from a while ago…Personally I think the organization throws on a dartboard when it comes to making goalie decisions. Seriously, ever since Gainey has set foot in this town, every decision regarding goalies has been wrong.

208. ed lopaz says:

why be respectful to Halak – when management was planning on trading him?

why even play Halak?

because management did NOT believe that Price could do the job.

that is the point.

In April, management is in a playoff run and they do NOT believe that Price can win – at the very least.,

JM did not believe that Price could win.

But now that Halak is gone — poof!! – like magic – everyone is expected to believe that Price can win in

October.

And, this is why there is so much resentment towards the trade – because management themselves did NOT

believe in Price.

That is my point.

209. The Cat says:

Im a Halak fan and I see what youre saying. But honestly, I cant even guess what management is thinking. I guess they just didnt want him to fall flat on his face, and hence figured buying Price more time was the ticket to hopefully have their own asses saved.

210. Mark C says:

How do you know management was planning on trading Halak before/during the playoffs?

Is it possible that management and JM thought that Halak provided a marginal improvement over Price?

211. The Cat says:

Well they never made an effort to talk with Halak.

212. ed lopaz says:

people say halak’s agent pissed off the habs by demanding a trade; that happened in the middle of the season.

that is why it is generally accepted (at least here on HIO), by people who support Price, that Halak and his

agent ruined the relationship with the Habs – brought it to the point where there was no way Halak could be kept.

managment and Jm did believe that Halak provided a better chance to win – I’m sure of it.

JM made an extra 500,000 (according to his contract) because the Habs made the playoffs, he wanted to win badly.

they also showed no faith in Price whatsoever.

they had every opportunity to bring price back after the olympics, and Price was playing well.

they chose Halak over and over and over again.

213. The Cat says:

Very interesting point that I didnt know about the 500 000$, shouldve said that in your original post ;)

214. Mark C says:

Don’t base your logic and reasoning on the opinion of a faction of HIO. There is no reason to believe, with anything close to certainty that management know how the goalie situation would play out after the season.

Didn’t show faith in Price? They chose Halak because he was playing better. Price had a bad start and got pulled on March 7th, Halak filled in and won that game and then won the next 4 games, then OTL with 31 saves only gave up 2 goals, over the next 5 starts Halak gave up more than 3 goals only once with 2 shutouts. Price started three out of the first 4 fours after the Olympic break, the poor showing on March 7th being the 4th game. They simply played the goalie who was playing better.

215. Bill J says:

I think you should stop coming to Habs I/O

216. JoeMuzz says:

How can you confirm that Price will be better ?

Not saying he will not… but sometime people believes something that never materialise : Fisher, Chouinard, A Kostitsyn etc….

Sometime people are mistaken and potential is not enough…

And as far as I am concerned the best goaltending I’ve seen in the past three season have been from Halak…

Is it because he is a low pick ?

Henrik Lundqvist was a 7th round pick that same year (2000) Brent Krhan was selected 1st round 9th overall.

Potential is one thing… but with that kind of mentality Markov would have been traded to leave more place for Fisher…

But I know this is only my point of you and there nothing to convice a believer to believe….

217. Bill J says:

See, for me, to properly compare Halak to the “best of all time” he would have had to WIN THE CUP.

Which the other names (aside from Penney) DID!

Best = a Winner.

Do I think Jaro’s performances where stellar ? Yes.

But on a team that has had 101 years of history, saying Jaro’s performances where the best of all time is quite a stretch sorry.

218. Clay4bc says:

No need to be sorry – you disagree, and did it respectfully. However, statistically, Halak’s performance ranks him among the best single series performances all time. Read the article for yourself. Come to your own conclusions…

219. Bill J says:

Like I said, was Halak Stellar ? Absolutely !!!!

But yeah, “best of all time” must = a Cup Win.

At least for Montreal it does….

Otherwise Halak is another Penney, and what ever happened to Penney ?

Get my drift ?

P.S. I did read the article, and it was good at pointing out Jaro’s stellar stats, another good one is Robert L’s article that Bryan (aka nightmare49) posted.

220. Clay4bc says:

Yeah, I read that too. I like to soak up any and all opinion on the Habs…and I put my thoughts about that below. I already know you disagree with my opinion, so I’ll save you the trouble of telling me!

221. Bill J says:

LMAO – allow me to disagree about you “knowing I disagree with you” lmao

Honestly, there is nothing to properly disagree with.  Camm DID in fact say it best.

We will only know when the puck is dropped, in the meantime there is plenty of room to discuss the two sides of the coin.

222. Clay4bc says:

Cammy is all business…great signing, that.

Other than that…I respectfully disagree about you disagreeing with my opinion that I know you disagree with me…

Finally changed my favourite player (current) on my profile…bye bye Jaro, hello Cammy (and others).

223. Mark C says:

I don’t think citing Roy furthers your point too well. How did booing Roy help Montreal on this night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2k-GW21co

224. Clay4bc says:

Yeah, I remember that night, but such is life in Montreal. You know it, I know it, and every player knows it. As I say, if he can’t handle it, then he shouldn’t be here. My point was that better players than him have been booed here, and the point is valid, whether you like it or not. It’s not like I am speculating – I just stated a fact, and your link only helped to reinforce my point, so thank you.

225. Mark C says:

It reinforces your point that better players have been booed, which anyone would agree with. It is also a fact that booing has greatly damaged booing this organization.

226. Clay4bc says:

No argument there, Mark – when you’re right, you’re right.

227. New says:

I am a little biased because I think Robert L’s work is consistently some of the most insightful and best material about the Club. I took his blog another way: that there is a not so nice part of the human condition that jumps on any perceived weakness of another as bolstering our place in the tribe.  I agree with Robert L’s position on the team and management knowing the players best not only because I admire his work, but because frankly, he is correct. I wouldn’t expect the team management to know how to run a car dealership, a political party, or RIM, but I do expect them to know how to do their jobs.

Part of life is building people, making them the best they can be, and forming a team.

228. Bob Dobbs says:

Hmmmm, it seems you’re saying Price needs to mature and win (and that ‘real’ men don’t have emotions). Well gee, I can’t find anyone suggesting that Price needs to fail to mature and lose… I think we’re all agreed on the maturing and winning parts. Robert L said in that article even Dryden’s psyche was “as fragile as cornflakes at times”, so I don’t think we can be expecting babies to come out of the womb fully grown, and if you think the intensity of Montreal fans demands such a rare quality from our players then I’d say you underestimate how easy it is for the players to discern fan silliness from legitimate fan criticism and shrug the former off (not extremely easy, but hardly impossible).

229. Bill J says:

Well said.

@ 22, it is quite harsh to expect a fully mature “grown man”.

It WILL come, but in the meantime we are better to support him.

230. Clay4bc says:

You misunderstand…I am not at all saying that “real men” don’t have emotions. And the point about Dryden was well taken –  but what did Dryden do? He didn’t fold under the pressure of the fans and the weight of his emotions. He focused his emotions to play hockey, and do it well.

All players of any sport have pressure, all have emotions. The great ones learn to do what Dryden did – the ones who can’t control and/or focus them get chewed up and spit out. That’s the nature of professional sports. In Montreal, it is amplified even more for the NHL players who are lucky/skilled enough to make it here. But again, that is the same pressure that every player (especially goalies) have playing here, and some (like Halak) can play with that pressure.

So again I say…If Price can’t handle it, he needs to find a new profession, or at least a new city in which to ply his trade…and I make no apologies for stating the truth.

231. TommyB says:

…and you are WHO?, and you know WHAT?

232. Bill J says:

Oddly enough the answer is quite similar to both questions

No-one & nothing.