Price among Habs not making trip to Chicago (with video)

The Canadiens will be in Chicago Wednesday night to play the Blackhawks (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690) but some key players won’t be making the trip.

After Tuesday’s practice in Brossard, coach Michel Therrien announced that Carey Price, Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov, Douglas Murray, Brandon Prust and Travis Moen won’t be making the trip. Murray will serve the final game of his three-game suspension, while Prust (upper-body injury) and Moen (concussion) are still nursing injuries.

Late Tuesday afternoon, the Canadiens called up goalie Dustin Tokarski from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs to serve as the backup to Peter Budaj against the Blackhawks.

“Markov and Emelin are defencemen who play in very difficult situations, against the best offensive players on the other teams,” Therrien told reporters in Brossard. “I saw this as a good opportunity to give them a game off so that they could get some treatment and do some off-ice workouts to be 100 per cent for the rest of the season.”

Defenceman Josh Gorges, who has been sidelined since early March with a broken hand, will return to the lineup against the Blackhawks.

“Nothing compares to game conditioning and being in game shape,” Gorges said after practice. “That’s why I felt it was so important for me to get back for these final few games before the playoffs started. I am the most impatient guy when it comes to stuff like this. Like I said, the physical battle is one thing, but the mental aspect of it, not being able to compete, not being able to help your teammates out and having to sit there and to watch day after day, that eats at you. I’m glad that that’s over and we can move forward. As far as I know, I’ll be ready to go.”

The Canadiens have three games remaining in the regular season. After Wednesday’s game in Chicago, they return home to face the New York Islanders on Thursday night and the New York Rangers on Saturday night.

The playoffs start next week.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Bournival-Briere-White
Weise-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Weaver
Bouillon-Beaulieu
Murray

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Habs without Price, Markov and Emelin in Chicago, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Final approach for Habs, Canadiens.com

Habs vs. Blackhawks preview, NHL.com

Canadiens vs. Blackhawks matchup, Chicago Tribune

Get to know Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford (video), Chicagoblackhawks.com

How can Habs shut down Steven Stamkos? Stu on Sports blog

Samuel Bennett No. 1 on final Central Scouting list, NHL.com

1. monmick says:

Brett Gallant is making his NHL debut tonight against the Sens. I wonder if he will go with Neil?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

2. on2ndthought says:

Any word on when Prust or Moen are ready?
    Good to get Gorges and Weiss back.
    Smart move by MT.

Not looking too far ahead, but Saturday night could turn into a real good game if both teams are still jockeying for home ice.

“a cannonading drive”

I don’t think there is any way possible to guess or know when Moen comes back. It’s a concussion and he had one previously. I sound like a broken record, but I am very worried for him. Given the role he has played his entire career, I am quite sure he has played through many a concussion early in his career.

• Danno says:

Mad Max’s drive for 40 should make things interesting too – if he hasn’t already scored it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. 24AW says:

Best Defense/Goaltending wins tonight between Leafs & Lightning!

Far less worried about other teams this playoffs, if this present Habs team plays to their potential we can make noise this playoff season. Not sure just how far, but we have key players at most every position who can be game changers. It’s all on how the Habs play and less about the competition.

I don’t say this in arrogant way, but we have a very good team, now they need to play up to that level in the playoffs, all of them.

(of course MT needs to make the right calls on who plays as well, and while many of us have questioned his choices, he seems to be on a role)

5. rhino514 says:

The team I fear most in the playoffs are the Wings (Flyers 2nd). If they get past Boston and get most of their healthy players back, they will be very tough to beat with all of their playoff experience.
    Conversely, if Boston beats them, they will also be tough to beat. But I would give us a slightly better chance of beating the Bruins than the Wings. I´d reckon a 40-45% chance, because of how tough we always play them.

6. theflukester says:

This is all good news. Good decisions and the lineup looks very good. I hope Vanek stays with us as do I hope Subban stays. I hope Vaneks family can figure out something to make it work.

The quality of our game is a lot higher and I hope it can continue in that direction. Its nice to see guys clicking together.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

Why isn’t Darcy Regier’s name in the mix for Vancouver GM? Could be exactly what they need.

8. jimmy shaker says:

Besides MB dealing for vanek and weaver at the deadline, the next best thing that the boys have going for them is a fresh carey price, full of experience, attitude and ability, ready to take this team to the next level. His post olympic injury just might have been a bit of a blessing……with him taking the crease in the last 2 games of the year, that gives him a total of 59 games started/played. A perfect number for a number 1 tender who’s not named brodeur, hasek or belfour. Anything more than 64 – 65 games is really taxing on your starting tender. So basically get ready everyone……this is pricers year to ascend to the mountain top and I’m getting really excited. It’s all coming together. OF course, there could be a resounding thud, when it’s all said and done, but I think not!

Shaker out!

• Habcouver says:

It is critical for Carey to win a few series.
      This is the only monkey on his back to quiet the critics out there.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

9. Habilis says:

Loafs can win tonight, I grant them permission. Of course I won’t actively root for them to win because there isn’t enough soap on this planet to wash me clean afterwords.

Besides all that, the Loafs winning really won’t do much for them other than solidify their place in the 9-10 range of the conference. I’m good with that.

10. Strummer says:

For Leaf fans that think they have a chance:

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

11. DipsyDoodler says:

The Sedins “took” Vancouver to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. They had 22 and 20 points in 25 games that year. They were also both over a point per game in the two previous playoffs.

To say you won’t go anywhere with the Sedins is simply wrong.

Obviously they are now past their prime, but they were very consistent in the reg season and the playoffs when at their peak.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• JohnInTruro says:

Agreed.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That the Sedins aren’t reliable or tough or valuable in the playoffs is a trite, tired narrative that lines up with Mike Milbury and Don Cherry view of what the NHL should be. It comes from people who don’t watch Canucks games regularly, or those who can’t be objective when they do.

12. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Will tonight be the night that the Leafs are “Old Yeller-ed”?

13. JF says:

Every year as the playoffs approach, I wish we could rest some of our older veterans, but we are usually in such a dogfight for a spot that we don’t have that luxury. So I think it’s great that Markov is going to get at least a game off; in fact, if Tinordi and Beaulieu don’t completely mess up tomorrow night, it might be good to give him the remaining two as well. And it makes sense not to have him or Price make the trip to Chicago.

As for Price, he seems to have regained his pre-injury form, so the injury could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. He will not have played too many games going into the playoffs – but I’m hoping Bishop will.

Any chance Plekanec and Gionta get a bit of a rest?

If Toronto runs the table, then Columbus needs three points, Detroit must get two and Philly needs just one. Stand corrected.

15. Danno says:

As things stand, what round would see a possible Habs vs Wings matchup?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Habilis says:

Conference Final.

• Danno says:

Oooh. That’s what I thought and that’s what I was hoping for. My bro is a huge Wings fan!

Gotta get tix for that one!!! :mrgreen:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
        Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Habilis says:

That would be bonkers. We would be coming off 2 series wins, probably having just beat Boston. They would have to have gone through Pittsburgh and then NY/Philly.

Oh, and we’d have home ice.

Yeah, I’d be excited for that one.

• 24 Cups says:

I was under the impression that if Detroit finishes 8th and beats Boston then they would face Montreal in the 2nd round.

As for NJ, I wonder if they lost control of their destiny last night when they lost a winnable game against a bottom feeder.

Regardless, the Habs are sitting pretty and resting players. I can’t remember the last time that happened.

• Danno says:

We need a primer on the new playoff structure. Someone posted it the other day…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
          Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Habilis says:

Right, but Danno asked “as things stand”.

It would definitely be more “symmetrical” if Detroit dropped to 8 and Columbus or Philly ended up in 7th. That would keep the match-ups strictly divisional until the final. And yeah, in that case, we could play the Wings in the 2nd round.

Either way, the lower finishing wild card team will be in our bracket. Our prize for having the Bruins in our division. Of course, that really only matters to us if we win a round and if said team beats the Bruins.

• Rugger says:

They are in 7th? so they play Pitt, winner of that gets phily-NYR winner so not till the Eastern Finals as I understand it. (winner of 1st place-wild card stays in the division against the 2nd-3rd winner so Columbus would play Montreal 2nd round if they beat Boston – silly way to do it)

16. Harditya says:

This is hilarious. Great backchecking. https://vine.co/v/MZEhqg9Egu6

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

:) Anonymous Canucks’ fan; …”Mike Gillis was fired BEFORE !!! Garth Snow ???”

18. shiram says:

I’ve said that these playoffs are important for DD as he did not enjoy much success in the playoffs he took part in before.

The same applies to Max, who has not scored in 4 games, he also had a similar showing in his AHL playoffs, with only 1 goal in 5 games.

Vanek’s been good in the playoffs.

Here’s hoping they all rise to the occasion and continue to lead the Habs offense.

• Commandant says:

Both are incredibly small sample sizes, and Max played his playoffs with a seperated shoulder.

• shiram says:

I know, but it can be tough to get a good size sample with playoffs game.

DD did good in the AHL playoffs though.

• B says:

Desharnais led the Dogs in playoff scoring both seasons he played there, averaging over a point per game.

In the Hab’s playoffs last season, Desharnais was 6th in TOI and 7th in points (1 point out of 5th). He also led the team in plus minus and ES TOI among forwards. I’m not sure he deserves to be singled out for that, who on that team enjoyed much success those playoffs?

In his first NHL playoffs, Desharnais played behind Plekanec, Gomez and Eller at center and was 17th on the team in TOI, 12th in points (1 point short of 7th) and 2nd in +/-. I am again not sure that he deserves to be singled out negatively that either either.

–Go Habs Go!–

• piper says:

No worries. That’s why we got Briere.

19. Danno says:

On SportsNet now – That’s Hockey 2 Nite: Giving the postmortem to the Leafs season. “What Went Wrong?”

EDIT – TSN

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Marek says:

I’ve said it many times today, the leafs aren’t done yet. Believe me, I wish they were, and I hope they are tonight but, until that time I will hold my breath. Stranger things have happened (ok, maybe not)

• johnnylarue says:

I suppose if it’s possible to blow a three-goal lead in the third period of a Game 7…

• AceMagnum says:

Leafs will win their last three games and finish with 90 points. Look at Columbus’ schedule, even though they have four left they’re playing against Phoenix and Dallas who are fighting hard for playoff spots, They’ll beat Florida but will they get two points out of Tampa?
        …Leafs may get in. The Horror.

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

20. Steeltown Hab says:

The thing about Pacioretty is he’s a high end athlete still has a ways to go as a hockey player which is essentially great for us. He’s committed to getting better and as his passing improves, hockey sense get’s better, and chooses to use his physicality a bit more.

No reason he can’t be like a Jamie Benn level of player.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

21. The Jackal says:

Changing the subject – good stuff that Max is so close to 40. He may or may not reach the actual mark, but he is essentially there, specially considering his slow start this year. We haven’t had a pure scorer like that in a long time, Cammy was good but he didn’t quite put up Patches’ numbers, and the best thing too is that we drafted him and developed him. Note that he spent some time in the AHL and he realized the value of being there playing top minutes rather than being in the NHL languishing as a fourth liner – that shows the value of our current management’s approach of taking it slow with our top prospects like Beaulieu, Tinner, Chucky, and Gally. Sure, the latter two are full time NHLers but they are not being exposed to too much responsibility just yet.

Secondly, there were grumblings earlier on this year about Max being soft and lazy – obviously those voices are nowhere to be heard now (or found), after seeing Max is a beast of a scorer. One of the biggest criticisms on top of that was that Max did not use his size well. By this point, we have accepted Max as a big and fast scorer, but definitely a sniper rather than a power forward. Some people may still bemoan that, but Max still does use his size as an advantage – passively by virtue of just being that size, and also actively by using his strength to get into good scoring areas and win puck battles. I wonder if Max were DD’s size if he would still be a 40 goal scorer. We’re lucky to have such a player with the right stuff, no doubt his size provides him an advantage even if he doesn’t use it to be a power forward – it definitely gives him an edge.

Max has been a revelation this year and he is nothing close to “soft” or lazy.” He gives it all for this club and he is a warrior, and he does not mind getting his hands dirty if need be. To Max!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• johnnylarue says:

Good post.

Max is strong and his long strides kind of disguise the fact that his skating is nothing short of elite-level, as defencemen have been finding out lately.

I’ve also enjoyed his emergence as a smart 2nd-wave penalty killer this season. Good on the coaching staff for recognizing his potential in that capacity. He’s slowly but surely being groomed into your prototypical “complete package”.

Wonder if San Jose would want a do-over on that Craig Rivet trade…

• thorandresson says:

Cammy gave us 13 playoffs goals one year though, if Paccioretty can give us similar production…

• bwoar says:

Hi Jackal, great post.

I was one of the noisiest detractors of Pacioretty as a lazy, 100ft player. And eh, for the first couple dozen or so games, he was. His game picked up markedly after Christmas in terms of effort and all-round “go”, and I have previously recanted and changed my opinion of him entirely. He’s since shown that he’s very much willing to play as hard as he can all over the ice, and I think that even if they aren’t saying it, others may have also changed their minds about him as a player. Good on him for proving me wrong. It’s very good to be wrong sometimes. In a nutshell, he isn’t relying on Gallagher to do the hard work on his line, he’s taking responsibility and it looks great on him.

Now, I hope he doesn’t give tiny shoves out to anyone after a goal ever again, but that’s a different story. I’m sure he regrets that decision.

I think if DD got the nod as the Habs’ Masterton nominee, it could just as easily have been Max, as both turned their seasons around in equally dramatic fashion. Max is doing what we hoped: scoring and using his size, not just his speed, to gain position and beat players to scoring areas. No question that his dedication to that style has resulted in the lofty goal totals he’s managed over the last 40 or so games. We’d best build a contender while he’s still on that sweet contract!

22. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I love how Halak’s save % (0.923) since the trade is better than Miller’s (0.915).

• D Mex says:

Interesting stat, especially when you look at the respective commitments to ‘ Team D ‘ in STL and WSH.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• The Jackal says:

Halak is a decent goalie but other than the 2010 playoff run, he has not really proven he is a better #1 than other goalies he has been against.
      I wish him the best but the teams he’s been on since the Habs have not been put over the top just by having him in net. If the Blues did not feel comfortable with him for a cup run, then I gotta wonder if he is truly a #1.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Strummer says:

How about Bryz? Obtained for a 4th round pick, and has a decent cap hit. He’s something like .955 since the deadline

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• HammerHab says:

Miller’s sv% will be artifically low since he sees less shots. GAA is a better indicator. Also, behind a worse defense who can’t clear the crease Halak will see more 2nd & 3rd shots artificially increasing his sv% with relatively easy rebound saves.

Miller – 2.15
      Halak – 2.53

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

23. Maritime Ronn says:

Re the Mike Gillis firing.

Before everyone piles on about his supposed ‘moronic’ player personnel decisions, only a very few really know IF those moves were Gillis driven…or Aquilini Ownership driven.

One of the many jobs of any NHL GM – or any Pro Sports GM, is to ‘Manage Up” and sometimes that is impossible with meddling owners.
    (see Jerry Jones Dallas Cowboys – Daniel Snyder Washington Redskins – Terry Pegula Buffalo Sabres, and Ted Lionsis Washington Capitals, as only a VERY few examples…Mr. Pegula has backed off recently….)

Those same have proven to be absolutely great and uber successful $$$ business people that believe the same can transpire to Pro Sports with their personal leadership and personal ‘decision making.’

How so very wrong they have been concerning the NHL and decision making/choices.

For several billionaire/multi millionaire owners, owning a Pro Sports team has become a status symbol along with having access to players/dressing rooms and situations that only money can buy – some consider NHL/Pro team Ownership as a toy, and use the access for other favors…polititics included in the very big picture.

The question becomes:
    Was Gilis given free reign to make the Canucks great….or were his decisions challenged and overturn by the Aquilini Ownership whereas Gillis had to always Take The Heat and protect them from public/media scorn?

• johnnylarue says:

Allow me to doubt very much that Aquilini forced Gillis to sign David Booth… ;)

In all seriousness, it’s been suggested that the Torts hiring was out of his hands, and I believe that. But as for the other stuff? Whether his hands were tied or not, the way he handled Luongogate from a PR perspective was just abominable. And as the Gauthier Era taught us, the PR side of the job of General Manager is, at minimum, half the battle.

Edited to read: Torts HIRING, not firing.

• JUST ME says:

Good theory but i beg to differ on the simple fact that this is not the type of detail that would escape the ferocious Vancouver medias. Even more so when everyone says that Gillis acts as an A hole with the medias.
      That being said Gillis does take the blame when the owner also should take some being the one that signs the checks.

This organization has been going nowhere fats. Could have done with the goaltender`s saga and the surprise ending but the signature of the Sedin twins knowing that you cannot deal one without the other is a big big mistake that will hurt the Canucks for a long time. Let`s not even talk about the 5 year deal for Torts…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Wait wait wait… When we blew holes through the owners’ position during the lockout that their teams were an investment and couldn’t continue ‘losing money’ like they currently were, and we stated very plainly that a sports franchise is more of a bauble, a tangible display of wealth so septuagenarians could land champagne room babes, we were told that wasn’t the case, that the NHL was a business, plain and simple.

Now it’s not a business anymore?

24. XKay says:

Funny, I just realize that the only canadian team to make the playoffs this year is the one with the french management. But that is no surprise of course!

• johnnylarue says:

I guess this would be a bad time to bring up how this team will never amount to anything so long as it’s handicapped by its god-awful “affirmative action” hiring practices…

• Marek says:

We’re not the only canadian team, YET…

• Strummer says:

The team with the French management got bounced by an underdog in the first round last season.
      3 of the Canadian teams have been in a SCF since the said team with French management was last in a final.
      There are currently seven teams better with English speaking management.
      Said team hasn’t won anything yet.

____________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

25. Commandant says:

In an absolute MUST WIN for the Washington Capitals (a loss and they are eliminated)… Jaroslav Halak has told coach Adam Oates that he is not comfortable facing his former team, the St. Louis Blues, and doesn’t want to start.

26. db says:

Had the Canucks kept Diaz they woulda made the show..

27. UKRAINIANhab says:

You guys sound surprised…

28. Mattyleg says:

Anybody know if Giilis got fired or not?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I am not paid ‘to deliver the goods’ …I deliver the goods out of the generosity of My heart

…now, if We want things expedited, I am open to negotiate remuneration

30. Luke says:

Predictions regarding this Canucks press conference.
    1) Linden publically said he hasn’t been approached by the Canucks, so there is nothing to that rumour.
    2) Gillis is fine Too much time and $ left. Same with Torts. They’ll have to work it out.
    3) Awful time to do a house cleaning anyways. They’ll wait for the off season so they can properly search for a President to over see Gillis’ Hockey Ops. These are huge companies. They don’t make hasty decisions about executives, and they sure as heck don’t hire executives with no experience running a franchise and whose only qualification is that some of the fans remember them.
    4) Much ado about nothing.
    5) It is, however, a fluid situation with many moving parts. #insider.
    6) Ticket Prices will be increased next year.

31. johnnylarue says:

Anybody know why the air raid siren would be going off in Vancouver right now? (I can’t be bothered to poke my head out the window to find out.)

Edit: Oh, Mike Gillis.

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Sedins are not the problem

Are they part of the solution? Talented yes, I guess I have always had an issue with players who feel that they need to be treated as one. Just seems like entitlement to me. Glad the Sutters didn’t feel the same way, or the Espo’s or Mahovlich’s.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Those two have over the years developed a rapport that means there’s a synergy between them. Henrik is the centreman, the quarterback, and Daniel helps him cycle the puck along the boards, until Henrik finds him in the slot and Daniel cashes it in.

If you look at their career stats, Henrik is the passer, gets around 20 goals a season, while Daniel is the finisher, who gets closer to 40. They have and play a role that no one else can play, their prescient passes often surprise other teammates.

They’re not petulant about being played together, they man up and do what the coach asks, but they’re a a set of tools that work well together, like a a pick and shovel. Each is valuable, both together add up to more than the sum of the parts.

When Henrik came back from injury on Saturday, John Tortorella played the Sedins on different lines to start the game, and the broadcasters were quite vocal and plain-spoken that it was self-defeating, an example of a coach who insisted on proving he knew better than anyone, and was ready to shoot himself in the foot to prove it.

33. thorandresson says:

Aren’t you all glad the Habs tanked the year they did, had they finished with the same point total this year, they’d be 6th worse in a poor draft class.

34. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Linden, President …Naslund, General Manager should prevent another downtown fan riot in My opine

35. Hobie Hansen says:

Task number 1 for new Vancouver GM will be to trade the Sedin sisters. Vancouver isn’t going anywhere with them as the centerpieces of the team. I’d be happy to just get rid of their contracts and sign some new free agents instead if I were a Canucks fan.

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

…for the 3 HIO monkeys that just logged in the last 3 minutes … Gillis chopped !

Hey did you guys hear, Mike Gillis was fired. Did you, did you? ;)

38. Say Ash says:

In case nobody’s posted it, Gillis just got fired.

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Canucks just announcing Gillis fired

40. frontenac1 says:

Mike Gillis snuffed?

41. Mattyleg says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 1m

Mike Gillis just got fired. #canucks #tvasports

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. shiram says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva

Mike Gillis just got fired. #canucks #tvasports

got the official too : http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=713441

Man, 3 days without hockey sucks. Hope laffs lose tonight.

44. Maritime Ronn says:

@ shiram

Young, and very cool Katie has been the Washington Post’s beat writer for the Caps during the past 4 years.
    She wouldn’t float junk.

If true, Halak’s NHL starter days just might be over.
    That doesn’t sound like a ‘competitor’…unless there is other stuff not being mentioned.

Yes, Halak was great in 2010 for the Habs – with an incredible group that protected him in the first 2 rounds, and the opposition that had no book on him, yet he was incredibly subpar in that Philly final.

The Gauthier/Gainey trade was the right thing to do because Halak was/would NEVER be a goalie that had both the physical and mental tools to go all the way.

45. shiram says:

What a weird thing, Halak letting his new team down?

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera

Oates said Halak told coaches he wasn’t completely comfortable facing Blues for the first time since the trade, so they’re going with Holtby

46. Maritime Ronn says:

If Emelin-Markov-Murray (Price) are staying home in Montreal, it looks like these will be the “Even Strength” D pairings:

Gorges – Subban
    Tinordi – Weaver
    Bouillon – Beaulieu

What will be interesting to notice will be the Specialty Team PP/PK pairings.
    In a ‘normal game’, the Hawks will be shorthanded a little over 6 minutes, and the Habs 8 minutes, according to year to date stats.

Coach MT has always enjoyed juggling (his word is “experimenting”), and it would be great to see Nathan Beaulieu on the 1st Unit PP with Subban.
    Then again, is there an alternative that is any kind of offensive threat beyond those two?

As for the Penalty Kill, Gorges-Weaver, then Tinordi-Bouillon would be the the ‘track record”… or proven historic choices of Coach MT .

Here is really hoping….that Coach MT gives some time on the PK Unit to Subban.

This game is setting up as one of those ‘Hope For 1 Point – Let’s not get embarrassed games…’ so why not put Subban out there on the PK?
    Regardless of outcome, that simple vote of confidence may be all Subban needs for a timely reset before the playoffs.

The bottom line is this:
    The current edition of the Habs needs a P.K. Subban firing on all cylinders.
    The Habs go nowhere without that.
    PLAY the young lad…allow him to regain confidence.

Would Subban be a detriment to the PK Unit?
    Back in the disastrous 2011/12 season, one of the very few bright spots for the Habs was its Penalty Killing Unit.
    That year, it ranked #2 in the entire NHL.

The Dman slots showed P.K. Subban as a Top 3 minutes penalty kill Dman for the Habs ( Gill and Gorges were the top pair until Gill was traded to Nashville)

Al that being said, it only makes sense IF ownership and the complete Habs management feel and are completely/absolutely convinced that P.K. Subban will play a key role in the Habs future…

• habsguru says:

agreed on all except Confidence. I don’t think PK is lacking at all, but it is MT that is lacking the confidence.

• Maritime Ronn says:

guru

On ice confidence.
        Subban has the physical make-up only few players could dream about.

I only wish he would keep it simple – head man the puck asap – pick his spots to jump in and change a game- not try to do too much with all those physical skills.

His confidence is shot….how that happened, only one can speculate….but Coach MT isn’t on the ice and doesn’t make brutal decisions or cough up the puck.

47. jimmy shaker says:

I guess I’m in trouble and can’t post. What is the protocol to get out of a timeout?

Shaker out!

• jimmy shaker says:

I’m only posting to find out who is the best second in command guy talking about the game at the ice level…..giving facts, stats etc and injecting opinions about the action. I like panger and actually think Chris Nilan would do a good job. No Mcguire please.

Is this okay to say or what?

Shaker out!

• HammerHab says:

I like Ray Ferraro…..he’s the best out of the TSN/CBC bunch IMO

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

48. Butterface says:

My Canadiens Defence Depth Chart for the Playoffs:

5 on 5

1. Markov
    2. Gorges
    3. Emelin
    4. Subban (except when a goal is needed he goes to Number 1)
    5. Weaver
    6. Murray
    7. Tinordi
    8. Beaulieu (could skip over Tinordi if we get a chance to see him)
    9. Boullion

5. Emelin
    6. Gorges
    7. Tinordi
    8. Beaulieu
    9. Boullion

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

• Butterface says:

Given the above:

Markov-Emelin
      Gorges-Subban
      Weaver-Murray
      Tinordi or Beaulieu
      Press Box: Boullion

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• 24 Cups says:

So the D will be Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Weaver and Murray.

• Butterface says:

That is what I would do…. with 7th D being Tinordi or Beaulieu…. unless Beaulieu looks like crap tomorrow night.

***********************
        If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
        ***********************

• Habitforming says:

Of course Beau will look like crap…. the coaching staff is feeding him to the hawks.

• Butterface says:

Maybe not. Kane and Toews are still out.
            See who he is paired with… he did just fine in the 5 games he played before.
            ***********************
            If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
            ***********************

49. frontenac1 says:

Lots of talk about what will CBC air with the Leafs out. I would be ok with more of this.(hint just skip to the 2:16 mark.) Saludos!

50. Phil C says:

I hope they keep Price in a hermetically sealed padded room with 24 hour surveillance until the start of the playoffs. Maybe even blend all his food to avoid sharp objects and choking hazards. And a pre-emptive round of broad sprectrum antibiotics for good measure.

Ferraro on TSN radio mentioning that if Linden hired as President for Canucks, perhaps he brings in Markus Naslund as GM of the team.

• 24 Cups says:

Naslund – no experience whatsoever
      Linden – president of the NHLPA which Bettman crushed

This nostalgic fascination with legends from the past does not always transcend into success. Sometimes it’s best to go with people who have paid their dues and worked their way through the system with a wealth of experience.

DOn’t disagree, at least the Rangers appear to be waiting and grooming Messier before what seems to be the eventual appointment of him as their next GM.

To those in the Golden Horse Shoe, Dogs ticket office just called me and then emailed next years flex pack and season ticket packages. Just posting as an fyi for you.

BONUS: With every 2014/15 Flex Pack purchased, receive TWO complimentary tickets to Fan Appreciation Night – Saturday, April 19th!

Price guide:

20 Ticket Gold Flex Pack – only $400 (best value!)
    10 Ticket Gold Flex Pack – only $220
    20 Ticket Red Flex Pack – only $320
    10 Ticket Red Flex Pack – only $190
    20 Ticket Blue Flex Pack – only $240 (lowest price per ticket!)
    10 Ticket Blue Flex Pack – only $140

Thinking of buying multiple Flex Packs? Why not try out a Season Seat for 2014? Along with the special benefits of being a Season Seat Holder such as exclusive events and discounts, you can use any unused game tickets just like a Flex Voucher – just redeem at the Box Office for any future game!

2014/15 Season Seats are:

Gold – $646 (just $17 per ticket)
    Red – $532 (just $14 per ticket)
    Blue – $380 (just $10 per ticket – no price increase from last year!)

Flex Packs and Season Seats are only available for purchase over the phone until further notice.

Let us worry about next year. Enjoy this season!

Brittany Arner
    Account Executive
    Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Club
    Ph: 905-546-8182
    Fax: 905-777-2363
    brittany.arner@hamiltonbulldogs.com
    Follow the Bulldogs on: Web | Facebook | Twitter

• Kooch7800 says:

I will most likely be picking up a flex pack burly or I may buy 1 seasons ticket and then trade in tickets for certain games.

Next years team should be a little more exciting, hoping for some help at the forward position. Was looking forward to Collberg coming over, but we are getting to enjoy Vanek.

• Kooch7800 says:

Sven basically plays the same game as Colberg. Hoping Crisp will have a strong year next year. They will need to bring in some more AHL vets to help teach the kids. They did so with St Pierre but they needs some more vet leadership

• RH says:

Are those based on individual game ticket prices? Are they really that cheap? I really should get off my lazy ass, throw the kids in the car and go down for a game.

53. Commandant says:

#7 on the list is William Nylander

A look at Rangers prospect J.T. Miller who is struggling to find his place under Vigneault

54. HUDSONHAB says:

Thought…. Does George’s return settle PK down and get him turned in the right direction? #leadership

55. HUDSONHAB says:

Just saw the Renaldo hit and suspension. Is what he did really only one game suspension worse than what Murray did? Am I missing something here, being bias perhaps or did Renaldo’s hit look a lot worse than that?

• Mattyleg says:

Has to do with the approach of the playoffs, and the NHL not wanting to hurt Philly’s moneymaking chances.

It’s pretty pathetic, really.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

We are so going to lose tomorrow against Chicago it isn’t funny. I say 4-1 or 5-2.

• PrimeTime says:

I take it youre the poker player at the table that goes all in every hand and the rest of us just sit and wait to knock you out.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I just have a bad feeling given how well Chicago played against St. Louis, Chicago is at home and they will be motivated for potential playoff home-ice. Plus we won’t have Price, Markov and Emelin. I’d bet the farm on Chicago tomorow!

57. Steeltown Hab says:

Hopefully Habs can draw a couple PPs so we can see Beaulieu – Subban on the first unit.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

58. DipsyDoodler says:

Since 1967 the Leafs have won 19 playoff series.

That is 19 series wins in 45 years.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

59. mdp2011 says:

This is funny.

Аrpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 2m
    Asked Gionta influence Plekanec has had on his game. “He’s brought it down a lot,” he said, tongue in cheek. “I used to be able to score.”
    “What’s amazing is that he shuts down the other lines, but us too. He shuts everybody down.” Gold.

60. Ton says:

what a great job management and mostly the coaching staff to develop the depth we have…….it was not too long ago that we had to use Weber and whom else up front!

Toronto is on the road Saturday but they are playing in Ottawa. With that in mind, does anyone know for sure which game will be televised in the CBC Toronto area – Toronto vs. Ottawa or NYR vs. Montreal?

• B says:

Toronto of course.

–Go Habs Go!–

• DipsyDoodler says:

Also,

Montreal will be the only Canadian team in the playoffs.

Do you know which games will be televised in the Toronto area, the Montreal playoff series or a replay of the Leafs 1993 playoff series against LA?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• jimmy shaker says:

They have to go out “In a burning ring of fire”. The last HNIC broadcast and the last leafs game of the year. It’s a romantic ending to a ridiculous relationship that is forced week after week down our throats. Good night now, achilles healy, P.J. Stocker, hewy and simmer. Hello, Strombo Friedman, weekes, and cuthbert (who is the best colour guy out there). That’s a good lineup!

Shaker out!

62. AliHaba says:

Seems like PK’s game took a nosedive when Gorges was injured. Now that he’s back in the lineup maybe we’ll see the PK we all know and love.

There is probably some truth in that, PK and Gorges know each other, PK knows he can trust Gorges and Josh seems to know PK’s tendencies better than other dmen on the team.

This indeed can’t hurt PK’s game.

• krob1000 says:

PK’s game took a nosedive before that… his game was teetering once he first went under the microscope re Team Canada selection…then as it drew closer his game started tow aiver even more. His rough stretch began really being noticeable in January and from there he has struggled with the mental side of the game. Underneath his boisterous and charismatic personality is a person…a young one, one that although we may not believe it I think he is one who is every bit as affected by his own confidence level as any other player. PK plays the game at a higher speed and quicker pace than 95 percent of players in the game….what separates him from most his his ability to think the game as fast as he plays it….unfortunately right now there area few other thoughts it appears creeping in and not allowing him to as well in that light.

• Butterface says:

It was before then it was dropping…. like the first couple of games after New Years…..

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

63. kalevine says:

It’s feeling like they learned something from last year’s stretch and playoff debacle and are trying to rest players and bring them back slowly. I am a bit worried that Threrrien said they will be ready for playoffs. He said that last year too!

64. Loop_Garoo says:

I do like it when I look at the lineup, see that 6 regulars are missing, and realize we still are fielding a full lineup of NHL quality players. They may not be stars and it may not be the best lineup we’ve iced, but its good to see some depth there.

65. CJ says:

Yesterday I commented on the Bouillion Weaver pairing, however today it’s back to Weaver and Tinordi. Perhaps the coach is not going to show his hand before game 1.

Gorges PK
    Markov Emelin
    Tinordi Weaver

That, IMO, is our best defence. I am looking forward to seeing what Beaulieu brings to the table against the Blackhawks. Regardless of what we decide to do come playoffs, we have depth, which is never a bad thing. Further, I think we have specialists. Murray offers physicality. Beaulieu offers strong skating. Frankie is the experience. Options are never a bad thing, especially at playoff time.

• 24 Cups says:

I agree, CJ. Even if Tinordi breaks down, I’d replace him with Murray instead of Bouillon.

• Cal says:

Out with Tiny and in with Murray.
      Beaulieu and Tinordi will be watching the playoffs, barring injury.
      MT and MB are going for it this Spring. Experience on D counts, despite many shouting for a youthful Dcorps. Ottawa and Edmonton have young Dcorps. How they doin’?

• CJ says:

Fair point. Of course, I could say Boston has a young and inexperienced Dcorps, which they have, and they are doing quite fine thank you. I could say the same thing about Anaheim, Pittsburgh, LA, all of whom are younger than Montreal and all doing very well.

I want to win now. I just feel that Murray is too slow to defend the Lightning. I would have him in against the Bruins, but not against the Lightning. All the experience in the world can’t overcome poor foot speed.

66. Mattyleg says:

This is typical of Therrien’s favouritism…

He refused to scratch PK!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Smart move by Therrien. Avoid the road trip, plane flight and time change. He also might want to give Pleks a night off on Thursday.

68. 100HABS says:

Tinordi AND Beaulieu in the same game – a first to watch them and compare on the same ice (excluding pre-season).

• CJ says:

I am looking forward to seeing them both play too. Mind you, I was looking forward to seeing them both play about a month ago, but better late than never lol.

• kerrgte says:

We know that next year some of the extras won’t be back, so this is a chance to see where younger, developing players are.

Let’s see who emerges as a developing leader.

I’m wondering why we don’t see Pateryn (lots of points) up for an evaluation.

69. kerrgte says:

I really respect Montreal’s staff for giving these key players a chance to get healthy and ready for the playoffs.

the team has nothing more to gain in these few remaining games so being rested and healthy is critical for the “real” season that soon begins.

This will also be an interesting test for some of the lesser lights to show their strengths.

cheers

70. CH Marshall says:

I second that!

71. B says:

All 3 of the top NA and Eur goalie prospects are 6’3″ or more

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

PS, I always thought that Montreal and Chicago had the best uniforms in professional sports….

• jimmy shaker says:

And I liked the caps old uni’s with the stars and stuff, but habs and hawks are head and shoulders above the rest, your spot on! And how could we forget those lovely fisherman logo’s over there on Long Island years ago….those were some beauties as well.

Shaker out!

• CJ says:

The Isles, oh the Isles. Their new third uniform is brutal. Their fashion sense matches their play on the ice….

Kept waiting to hear that the throat losange company Fishermans Friend had purchased the team, and that Captain Highliner was also a minority owner.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Completely agree.

How could you forget the glorious Steelers Uniform? Not the current throwback model which has a certain Prison Drag type look to it though. ;-)

• Loop_Garoo says:

Have to agree with that. There are a bunch of great hockey uniforms, you could probably replace Chicago with Detroit or Boston, and still have a pretty good argument.

• HabsPooch says:

Ottawa’s second uniform with the big O, looks like they’ve escaped from prison…awful to look at. I read a poll somewhere that ranked Montreal’s uniform as the best followed by Chicago.

• AceMagnum says:

San Jose Sharks circa 1991 comes in third place. Beautiful teal blue instead of the puke teal green they have now with gross orangy yellow. At least they got the logo right today.

…and the Gretzky era LA Kings jersey is 4th.
        —————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

72. UKRAINIANhab says:

Agree

73. johnnylarue says:

I think these negative reactions are more about the whining people were subject to following the Halak trade, rather than a reflection on Halak himself.

But that said, when you basically tell your team “please don’t count on me to win this do-or-die game for you,” it just doesn’t read very well.

74. Commandant says:

Was Miller vs the Sabres a MUST WIN game for the Blues? No. If it was, he’d get the same reactions.

75. CJ says:

Not even close IMO.

76. Say Ash says:

Worst plus minus for a captain all time? Gotta be close.

77. johnnylarue says:

It’s no use. They’ll be TSN/CBC consensus Cup Favourites again by late October… just in time for Hallowe’en, coincidentally.

78. frontenac1 says:

He tried to have a go with John Erskine in March and got beat up.

79. Mr. Biter says:

Last week was 1st time for most goals for and worst +/-. Never has happened before.

Mr. Biter