Price among Habs not making trip to Chicago (with video)

The Canadiens will be in Chicago Wednesday night to play the Blackhawks (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690) but some key players won’t be making the trip.

After Tuesday’s practice in Brossard, coach Michel Therrien announced that Carey Price, Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov, Douglas Murray, Brandon Prust and Travis Moen won’t be making the trip. Murray will serve the final game of his three-game suspension, while Prust (upper-body injury) and Moen (concussion) are still nursing injuries.

Late Tuesday afternoon, the Canadiens called up goalie Dustin Tokarski from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs to serve as the backup to Peter Budaj against the Blackhawks.

“Markov and Emelin are defencemen who play in very difficult situations, against the best offensive players on the other teams,” Therrien told reporters in Brossard. “I saw this as a good opportunity to give them a game off so that they could get some treatment and do some off-ice workouts to be 100 per cent for the rest of the season.”

Defenceman Josh Gorges, who has been sidelined since early March with a broken hand, will return to the lineup against the Blackhawks.

“Nothing compares to game conditioning and being in game shape,” Gorges said after practice. “That’s why I felt it was so important for me to get back for these final few games before the playoffs started. I am the most impatient guy when it comes to stuff like this. Like I said, the physical battle is one thing, but the mental aspect of it, not being able to compete, not being able to help your teammates out and having to sit there and to watch day after day, that eats at you. I’m glad that that’s over and we can move forward. As far as I know, I’ll be ready to go.”

The Canadiens have three games remaining in the regular season. After Wednesday’s game in Chicago, they return home to face the New York Islanders on Thursday night and the New York Rangers on Saturday night.

The playoffs start next week.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Bournival-Briere-White
Weise-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Weaver
Bouillon-Beaulieu
Murray

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Habs without Price, Markov and Emelin in Chicago, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Final approach for Habs, Canadiens.com

Habs vs. Blackhawks preview, NHL.com

Canadiens vs. Blackhawks matchup, Chicago Tribune

Get to know Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford (video), Chicagoblackhawks.com

How can Habs shut down Steven Stamkos? Stu on Sports blog

Samuel Bennett No. 1 on final Central Scouting list, NHL.com

1. Psycho29 says:

@Lafleurguy
    Great course, we played at Legends on Tuesday. We also played Falcon’s Fire (amazing), Southern Dunes and Stonegate (twice)…
    The prices were cheap. We booked the house, minivan and the golf all through Tee Time USA.
    Did you get a chance to eat at “Manny’s Chop House” in Haines City??

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if P.K. Subban played, say for, the Boston Bruins or Maple Leafs, would We be wishing He was a Hab ? …would We be admiring Him or booing Him ?

3. frontenac1 says:

I got my buddy The Hawks Fan to spot me a goal tonight because Price,Markov,Emelin,Prust,Moen etc were out! What a chump! Tomorrow will be a good day at the Saloon! Wait a minute, every day is a good day there.

4. CJ says:

Good afternoon folks!

Looking forward the game tonight. I passed on the Olympiques game last night. Just too busy right now.

On an aside, it looks like my partner may not be interested in using the playoff tickets. As such, I will either have an extra pair, or a single. If anyone in the Ottawa area is interested, we could arrange to go together. I might end up going to every game, but I would be looking for someone to come with me in the event my wife can’t attend. Tickets are in section 118. Let me know if anyone might be interested.

5. ClutchNGrab says:

If Mike Babcock doesn’t win his first Jack Adams this year, the selection process needs to be reviewed.

On another note, a game where the coach relies heavily on him is what Subban needs.

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…isn’t that sweet, the Canada Revenue Service are telling Me this morning their site’s OpenSSL Fort Knox secure web-site has this little bitty bug that, by the way, leaves Your little bitty financial azz open to every Russian, Chinese and Nigerian online ‘entrepreneur’ on the Internet !

…I think I’m going back to bed

7. shiram says:

The Ultimate Warrior passed away.

I used to watch wrestling back in the 80′s, so many of those guys are dead now.

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…ANYBODY here, yet, announce Trevor Linden appointed President, Hockey Operations of the Vancouver Canucks ???

…surprise !!! …surprise !!! …surprise !!!

…by the way …if You all didn’t hear it from Me …it’s not OFFICIAL

9. DipsyDoodler says:

I think a few of us are getting the “This site needs cookies enabled” message even though we already have enabled them.

What do people think?

My guess is the middle school student who runs Hockey Inside Out in his spare time asked Boone if he wanted cookies.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

10. Steeltown Hab says:

Not saying they did anything wrong. But if Subban get’s hurt tn while Price, Markov, Emelin didn’t take the trip there

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

11. Phil C says:

So if Weise and Prust are healthy for the playoffs, what are your starting four lines for game 1?

12. olematelot says:

How do I read the links from the Gazette. Everytime I open one it gets blocked.

13. habsfan0 says:

I’m looking forward to hearing Chicago anthem singer Jim Cornelison do his thing tonight. He is,IMHO,the best anthem singer in the NHL today.
    Although he’s no Wayne Messmer or Roger Doucet.

14. habsguru says:

What is PK to the organization then???

• bwoar says:

Obviously PK’s an idiot. Didn’t you get the memo?

EDIT: PK is the guy with the good knees.

• Cal says:

The Habs best offensive Dman.

• ffenliv says:

I may be wrong, but are Markov and Emelin not staying behind, and not making the run to Chicago? If so, and PK is playing in Chi-town, why would they mention him?

If my assumptions above are correct, they said that about those two because they’re being given time off, which the team feels Subban doesn’t need.

• bwoar says:

He doesn’t, Subban’s the kind of player that has to play all the time.

The first rule of PK is you do not not talk about PK.

• Cal says:

Obviously, HIO requires the whine faction to come out and bemoan every imagined slight to PK.

• Mattyleg says:

Woah, woah, woah…
          Are you trying to say that all the slights against PK are imagined??
          He is the most maligned, put-upon, mistreated, abused, and disrespected player in the league! On a nightly basis!!!

(breaks down and cries bitter, bitter tears)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• bwoar says:

Let’s just hope Therrien & Co. don’t cut the front half of his foot off!

• Cal says:

(Cal sits besides Matty and squeezes a lemon into his eyes and cries, too. Off in the distance, they hear the sound of machines.)

• Steeltown Hab says:

I think we can easily agree that Subban is the worst treated player on the team. Obviously Therrien feels being on his a** constantly is the way to get him going, and thinks laying back on others is the way for them.

Not saying he’s right or wrong, but if you watch this team that’s obvious.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

15. frontenac1 says:

For those of you that missed the Toughest Pound for Pound Fighter in the league drop Kassian last night, enjoy

• Kooch7800 says:

pow right in the kisser

• monmick says:

Hey, Front, I’m starting to think that you don’t need to insert the “pound-for-pound” qualifier to describe Brett’s toughness anymore…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• frontenac1 says:

How about “The Heaviest Hands” in Hockey?

• monmick says:

I like it. Feerless is also à propos, although that quififier is already being used by the Sens… LOL…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• frontenac1 says:

Honorable kid.He is stuck with the mandatory visor because of his age,but unclips his helmet before the bout. Its all he can do except if they both shed their buckets for the 7 minutes.

• Luke says:

Small guy at 6′, 190lbs for a fighter.

280 games spanning the QMJHL, ECHL, AHL & NHL.
        13goals, 8 assists in those 280 games.

And the Islanders couldn’t find a spot for Robbie Schremp.

He was only able to score 17goals and 30 assists in 89 NHL games for the Isle. His points-per-punch ratio wasn’t sufficient.

16. Say Ash says:

So what’s with Bishop? Popped shoulder? Broken collarbone?

• shiram says:

Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes
      Bishop extended with left arm to glove the floating puck. Came down on his glove hand. Seemed to be favoring that side when he skated off.

Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes
      No update on Bishop. Yzerman said the goalie will be re-evaluated in the morning.

Erik Erlendsson @erlendssonTBO
      Cooper indicated a call up was coming from Syracuse, said it had been planned any way as Bishop was only going to play one more game

17. nellis13 says:

They should be resting Subban too. Maybe they want him and Georges to have a few games together before the playoffs? Still PK looks like he needs a rest.

18. Commandant says:

#8 on the list is the first QMJHL Player, Nikolaj Ehlers of the Halifax Mooseheads.

19. Maritime Ronn says:

Vancouver Canucks season ticket deadline date for renewal is today, April 9th.

Gillis fired yesterday.
    Linden to be announced hired today.
    HOPE sells….( a saying learned from MLSE)

20. Maritime Ronn says:

Hawks lines tonight
    The 1st line is still excellent, yet it’s not the same without Toews-Kane.

Sharp – Shaw – Hossa
    Versteeg – Handzus – Saad
    Bickell – Smith – Morin
    Bollig – Kruger – Nordstrom

• Cal says:

Depth is a beautiful thing. Habs are getting there, but they will have to retain Vanek in order to maintain this scoring spree they’ve been on lately.

21. RetroMikey says:

I need someone who can help me in the Province of Quebec.
    There are special aluminum MOntreal Canadiens beers can (or bottles?) available in Coors or Molson.
    I collect of Habs beer memorabilia and am wondering if someone can drop a line here and assist me in obtaining these items to add to my collection.
    I would pay the full price with shipping and handling.
    Thank you.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

22. Psycho29 says:

@Lafleurguy:
    I read in your post below that you golfed in Clermont, Fla.
    When were you there?
    I stayed in Clermont last week and golfed in the area 5 times. Where did you golf?

• Lafleurguy says:

Hi Psycho. Legends. Nice town, eh? Friend has a home on Palisades 5th tee box. Sanctuary Ridge is nice except the weird par 4 hitting up a “cliff.” What do you think of paying their greens fees compared to ours? (Stayed only 4days near there, last week).

23. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

With Bishop gone time to focus on Stamkos.
    You couldn’t hit a barn door if you tried.
    Na na na na, you suck :razz: .

Interesting story on who hired Torts in Vancouver, interesting perhaps for no other reason than the fact the owner of the Canucks sent a text to a Globe writer which said,
    “I read your article today. You are a prick,”

• Maritime Ronn says:

Nov 30-2013
      “Pacioretty celebrated his second goal of Montreal’s 4-2 victory over the Leafs on Saturday night by twirling his stick and pretending to sheathe it like a sword.”

• Mattyleg says:

McGuire (or some talking head) said that the Canucks owners are very sensitive to public opinion.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

What game was it when Max last did his Conquistador sabre in the sheath post goal celebration?

Is there any correlation to him stopping doing that and starting to play a much more complete game as he has spoken about in recent interviews? Did MT make him stop doing this, or did he choose on his own. I haven’t noticed him do it in quite some time.

26. frontenac1 says:

Reports. Letang back in the saddle Wed.night.

27. Maritime Ronn says:

@ dipsy

Both Rask and Price have started the exact same amount of games – 57.

Rask has been on the ice for 3,326:27