Predators bounce Red Wings; Penguins force Game 6

Barry Trotz

Nashville Predators coach Barry Trotz speaks to his team following their elimination of the Detroit Red Wings on Friday night.
John Russell, NHLI via Getty Images

Who would have figured the Detroit Red Wings would be packing up this morning, an almost meek five-game victim of the Nashville Predators?

You’re in mourning if you loaded your playoff pool with players from the Hockeytown, which this morning is Summertown.

The Predators finished off Detroit Friday with a 2-1 win, Detroit native David Legwand scoring the game-winner 13 seconds into the third period.

In Pittsburgh, meanwhile the Penguins’ 3-2 win over Philadelphia has pushed their Eastern Confererence quarterfinal to a sixth game, scheduled for 12 noon Sunday.

And there’s a ton of hockey on the schedule today/tonight, starting with Washington at Boston at 3 p.m. ET.

1. Bill says:

Shanahan, lol. This is way beyond inconsistent. He’s got multiple personality disorder or something. How is Torres’s hit so much worse than the other hits this year, some of which got five games, three games, one game, or zero games?? It’s just gotten bizarre.

2. Adidess says:

Here’s what I don’t get with Shanahan. Why 25 games for Torres, not 15 or 41? It’s only justice if there’s a system that makes suspension length predictable.

3. durocher says:

25 games for Torres is way too much, and is a reflection of Shanny’s bare attempt to appear tough after he dropped the ball in failing to suspend Weber. His suspension decisions this playoffs have been a joke, and have led to unpredictability. For that, Shanny gets “the Bunk”:

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Joonas Nattinen, Mac Bennett and Alexander Avtsin were all drafted before Guy Lafleur trophy winner Gabriel Bourque.

Another mistake due to Q-disparagement?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

5. D Mex says:

CBC reporting Torres suspended 25 games for the hit on Hossa.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• Habfan10912 says:

Good! If this doesn’t get players attention nothing will.

———————————–
      Please feel free to call me Jim.

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! Did Torres forfeit any right to appeal (is there a right to appeal?). I know he waived his right to be at the hearing .. maybe that automatically precludes any appeal.

If I were his agent (lawyers) I would appeal even if there is no appeal provision under the leagues rules. I am not suggesting this is unfair based on what Torres did but Shanahan’s rulings are unclear, seletive and discriminatory against ‘non star’ players. As it stands Shanahan’s rulings are unfairly burdening certain players and affecting their rights to ‘earn a living’ on a level playing field. The Shea Weber non ruling as example.

6. H.Upmann says:

Like what Im reading and seeing of Galyenchuk, but have a feeling he could even go as 2nd pick. As long as the leafs don’t get him, Im fine lol

Here’s my take on the current situation and unrest in Quebec

8. naweed235 says:

holly crap… 25 games for Torres… exaggerated a bit?

9. PrimeTime says:

@D Mex. Sorry but some people needs the basics explained to them when they spew their half-cocked fantasies of how the league operates However, I will not argue with the point that the NHL enjoys “the buzz” created by the league officiating. Just the point that BOS and PHIL/Comcast ownership created and control it.

• D Mex says:

Well, I think many here will agree with the ” buzz ” reference.

I am among those who believe that violence is the strategy used to market this game to the lowest common denominator that US audiences represent. One problem with this strategy is that it’s only as good as its most recent example(s) of raw aggression. On the other hand, it’s also something that someone like Buttman can understand and embrace, in the name of entertainment of course, so here we are.

It’s unfortunate that people with real vision for what sets the game apart from the NBA, NFL and MMA – that is, its speed and skill levels, are unable or unwilling to direct it accordingly. Kids are watching, and getting ready to emulate its current evolution, which is a mess.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

Edit : pardon the rant, but my assessment of ‘ the strategist ‘ follows below :

• D Mex says:

Buttman is arrogance personified.

He ” comes to you live ” once a week on NHL radio (XM), really little more than a talk show where know-nothings rub elbows with ” Mr Commissioner ” by calling in with pressing questions about US cable companies that only a moron sport CEO would find relevant at playoff time. They are all meaningful to him.

Operates with a sidekick, a Maclean clone who sets the table for him to pop endless grounders to the infield. He must believe he is taking meaningful steps to grow the game ‘ down south ‘, you know, in his favorite markets.

He was at the game when Torres mugged Hossa, but saw no evil, because this is his vision for marketing the game where indifference to hockey is the norm. Quite a find alright – total schmuck.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

10. PrimeTime says:

A Council voting on whether to built an All Purpose 20,000 seat Sports Facility in “Toronto North” is much different than “there will be an NHL team there before QC”. Build it and they will come does not always work!

11. PrimeTime says:

Bettman is an employee as an Advisor and Spokesman of the NHL which is owned by each of the team owners who all make up the BOG which all have an equal vote. Two of those Owners do not run the league or have “greater” powers than any of the other Owners. If any Owner wants to influence others to a decision they must rally a majority of their fellow owners to vote on the matter, which is much different than the “fantasies” posted here.

12. PrimeTime says:

I admire all you with 20/20 hindsight vision, and believe you can predict the future. I’m just curious to how you apply these skills in your real lives? All must be as successful as all get out! Me…I’m just a “c’mon man”.

• TomNickle says:

The Andrei Kostitsyn trade is already bad and was bad instantly.

That’s a first round pick who scores 20 goals regularly in the bottom six forward group of your team. He earns a modest salary by scorers standards and is a physical player.

A 2nd round pick for him and a 1st round pick for Paul Gaustad should tell you everything you need to know about that deal.

• Habfan10912 says:

Tom. AK is a UFA who will test the market. Not sure his value was significantly higher then what was tecieved. Teams can get him now for a paycheck. A rent a player at best.

———————————–
        Please feel free to call me Jim.

• TomNickle says:

You’re 100% positive that he’ll test the market?

• Habfan10912 says:

Of course not Tom but any team trading for AK would not have a 100% guarantee he wouldn’t. The odds favor testing I would guesss. You can see in many trades of UFA the reduced market value. That’s all I was saying.

———————————–
            Please feel free to call me Jim.

• badbalance says:

“I want to stay in Montreal, it’s like my second home, I don’t want to go to Nasvhille”

• ont fan says:

I’m surprised Tom, that you feel that way about AK. Gaustad has a 4 year contract, unless I’m mistaken.

• TomNickle says:

Gaustad has never topped 40 points in a season.

• badbalance says:

Gausted made 2.3 million, UFA at the end of the season, never topped 40 points. AK can score and hit and pass. Gaustad has a defensive upside but who cares if you are supposed to be a top 2 center.. In my books if u are a top 2 center u better do more than just be defensive. I find it a joke and the main reason they fired PG… Trade our scoring talent away for picks and lazy players(bourque)

• HardHabits says:

PrimeTime. Two minutes for unsportsmanlike comment.

13. joeybarrie says:

Saw something below about the Nashville Canadiens….
    Just to make it clear. The former Canadiens on the team (all 4 of them) have 4 points between them. They average 15-16 min on ice, whjch is good enough for the 3rd line, sometimes the 2nd (with some time on the PP and PK) and 5th defensman. And one hasn’t played yet. Not to bash them or anything, but the reason they are there and moving forward is Weber, Suter, Legwand and Rinne. To some extent Radulov in this series.
    I love Gill and Frankie. AK and SK I like ok. Nothing against them. I just get frustrated when a player leaves the Habs and all of a sudden they are an unstoppable force in the league and the reason for any teams success. Weber and Suter are playing almost half the entire game.

• TomNickle says:

Now that’s an interesting analysis.

Sergei Kostitsyn put a game on ice.
      Kevin Klein has probably been better than both Suter and Weber.
      Gabriel Bourque scored three goals in the series and each one was critical.

• The Dude says:

You must love Riberio ,Ryder and Halak,lol

• TomNickle says:

Halak?

Why would anyone be upset about losing him? Last year he was the worst starting goalie in the league. This year he was the best backup.

Not much to be upset about there.

• ZepFan2 says:

Two of those three aren’t in the playoffs. You really burned Joey with your post. :roll:

Isn’t it a bit early to imbibe?

———————————————————————-
        “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Habfan10912 says:

Its the old “grass is always greener” stuff we fans do. Last night I actually had someone tweet that AK is a defensive specialist. Oh boy. You have to admit the club has let some players go in reaction to misbehavior which have turned out to be a mistake. Grabs and SK I would put in that book. The old management team did that a lot. See Cammy.

———————————–
      Please feel free to call me Jim.

• D Mex says:

Seems to be the tradition in Montreal :
        - didn’t Chelios and Corson leave town under clouds as well ?
        - oh, and let’s not forget Theodore, and Roy …

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• Strummer says:

3rd line guys are an integral part of a team’s success.

They eat up minutes and keep the game close chipping in the odd goal while preventing opposition scoring, when the top 2 lines are resting on the bench between offensive forays.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

14. frontenac1 says:

Agreed Shiloh, but to me he will always be “Frankie The Cube!”Especially loved that he was fearless and dance with anyone.Man he is deceptively strong!

Tom! And we sure know that Gretsky was screwed big time by him as well. But he is a Canadian, and Bettman always favors the dark side of the boarder.
    Sure would be nice to eliminate him!

16. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. I am not going to be surprised if Torres gets an indefinite suspension pending some kind of therapy.

———————————–
    Please feel free to call me Jim.

17. Malreg says:

So the GTA is going to be getting a new 20,000 capacity arena, that will be 100% privately funded, be cheaper than the Quebec City project, and could be completed earlier than the QC arena as well…

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them get an NHL team before QC.

• Habfan10912 says:

Isn’t there an issue with territorial rights with the Leafs? Could be a stumbling block, no?

———————————–
      Please feel free to call me Jim.

• Strummer says:

I think is coming right after the subway.

Don’t hold your breath.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Never happen.

Maple Leafs would be crazy to allow it.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

18. TomNickle says:

Gary Bettman in all of his arrogance had better tread carefully in the coming months. He made a public comment that it doesn’t mean anything that the Washington Capitals didn’t like the decision to suspend Nicklas Backstrom.

Well Gary, I’ve got some news for you.

1. Geoff Molson doesn’t like you. He was livid that Zdeno Chara wasn’t suspended.

2. Ted Leonsis doesn’t like you. Nothing gets done in Washington without his approval. That statement came from the top.

3. Mario Lemieux doesn’t like you. He too has publicly voiced displeasure with disciplinary rulings and probably remembers being held hostage when you were considering moving the Penguins.

4. Jeffrey Vanderbeek probably isn’t your biggest fan either. You nullified the Kovalchuk signing and fined the club and took away draft picks.

5. Eugene Melnyk came out this week and criticized the system like so many others. He’s buddies with a certain Mr. Ballsilie too and probably isn’t the biggest fan of how he was railroaded.

6. Mike Illitch has wanted and apparently for quite some time has not been too quiet about a promised return to the Eastern conference. And on top of that you poked the bear by allowing Alex Radulov to return to the NHL late in the year without having to pass through waivers. Can’t imagine Mr. Illitch has you on his Christmas card list.

7. Francesco Aquillini must not be a big fan of the disciplinary process either. One of his twins missed three fairly important playoff games because of a head shot and in addition, if I remember correctly the Canucks were none too happy about the duration of the two road trips they were scheduled for during the Olympics.

Add in to all of this you have the other owners who likely aren’t happy about subsidizing the Coyotes with no definite plan in place and a pending battle with the players and the shrewd Donald Fehr.

So here’s my question. Is Bettman really just that arrogant or does he see the writing on the wall and knows his time is running out?

• habstrinifan says:

I find much about the NHL to be a joke and since Bettman is ‘in charge’ he shoulders the blame I guess. Although I do think the biggest problem is that the NHL commissioner’s authority is rather weak.

Having said all that and acknowledging that you do have more information on the workings than I do, didnt Bettman get a strong vote of approval and salary increase when this year?

Edit: Globe and Mail March 2011.
      On Friday, the Toronto Globe and Mail reported Bettman received a five-year contract extension in November. According to the report, Bettman currently earns $7.2 million in a deal that could have expired this summer.

• TomNickle says:

He did yes but things are changing quickly. These owners are watching highly marketable stars injured daily with no serious consequences to the less than marketable offenders from opposing teams.

The public vote of confidence for Bettman could have easily been a public relations move to show a unified front to the NHLPA with the pending CBA negotiations.

I truly have no idea which way this is going. What I do know is that probably two thirds of the NHL owners purchased teams to make money and the other third for love of the game. The owners in it for the money probably aren’t too comfortable with their best assets being put at larger than normal risk and the owners in it for love of the game can’t be very happy about the way the game is headed.

Bettman has more power than you think. He always uses the phrase “I present my recommendations to the Board of Governors”. Well I’ve never heard of the Board turning him down on one of his recommendations and you’d think that with the amount of media surrounding their meetings regularly that if there were a conflict in those meetings we would hear about it.

• Marc10 says:

Looking at the past couple of years, Jacobs and Snyder/Comcast are running this league. They are active owners and they ‘own’ Bettman.

The owners that don’t like Gary aren’t involved. Geoff was called out as soon as he spoke out for not being involved at the League level. This is an old boys club and I’d assume Gary is good at one thing, and that’s keeping his handlers happy. You’d don’t get resigned as he has that quickly and for that amount of coin unless you’ve got backing from the people who matter.

It also helps when NYR and Chicago are doing reasonably well. Hell, even WAS is doing OK and has re-tooled to play the Bruins’ game.

The NHL will eventually make the pads softer and they’ll probably jack up fines and suspensions for hits to the head… but by then, and I think you’ll see it next year, most skilled speed based teams will be armed for war (if they want to compete).

It’s a direct reflection of the officiating in the League (or lack thereof)… and that’s a reflection of who owns this League. Jacobs and Snyder do. The only way to change it, is to build a Bruin/Philly killer and run those guys over with a semi. That’s sadly the reality. I don’t see the ‘other’ owners or the players do anything constructive about this.

• habsfaninboston says:

I’d like nothing more than seeing Bettman sacked. But, unless he leaves on his own accord, we’re stuck with him. He recently got a contract extension.

• Habfan10912 says:

Tom, I agree. Jacobs is now losing his supporters which in turn puts pressure on the Shanny-Daddy-Bettman regime. I hope the trend continues.

———————————–
      Please feel free to call me Jim.

• slamtherimtim says:

GREAT POST

• punkster says:

I rather doubt Bettman’s job is on the line no matter what foolishness he may utter to the press. With a projected $3.2B in revenue this year, up 50% since the lockout, he can get away with a few slips of the tongue.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• TomNickle says:

The league revenues have very little to do with Bettman and the owners know that. The competition committee brainstormed the rule changes coming out of the lockout.

• punkster says:

Tom, the commish has ” responsibility for the general supervision and direction of all business and affairs of the League”. The revenue increases will always outweigh everything else he says or does. Bettman is here to stay for the duration of his newly extended contract or until such time as revenues and profits drop or, which you may be alluding to, until the “direction” of the League as defined by the owners, changes. However, leading up to that point Bettman will have ample time to shore up his position or change his tune.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HardHabits says:

I agree on one hand that Bettman’s position is currently solid but I differ on opinion of what it would take to change it. Although dollars and cents are probably the biggest factor I do believe that the three headed Hydra of collusion, corruption and ineptitude with regards to officiating, suspensions and head shots could very well be his eventual downfall.

Mind you Bettman is a particularly slippery as well as slimy serpent.

• D Mex says:

Double post.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

19. Marc10 says:

Watching Suter and Weber just killing it for the Preds, you know those guys will end up in either Detroit or Philly in the coming years.

They don’t seem intent on signing in Honkey Town. Maybe that changes if the Preds win it all. I hope that happens. I don’t want the Wings or the Flyers to get rewarded by free agency as soon as their top D post becomes vacant.

• TomNickle says:

From most accounts both players have been waiting for proof that the Preds are serious about winning a Stanley Cup.

The thing Nashville has to be careful with is that while both players are elite defensemen and probably both top 10 in the league, they’re beyond wealthy at the position. They shouldn’t break the bank for both.

Here is video of Malkin Hit on Crosby. Have found nothing online regarding his status, but as Trin points out below he did get clobbered.

21. habstrinifan says:

I havent checked statistics or standings but if there’s one power play I like to see the HABS follow from the playoffs so far it is Washington Capitals. I really liked the complete involvement of all five players in their exchange of positions and the puck. No two defensemen station at the point as pylons. Looked really well coached in the last game.

22. Exit716 says:

The Nashville Predators are what the Expos used to be at one point. A solid organization that developed its young talent and made shrewd trades giving up few assets for players deemed expendable by other organizations. How many coaches have the Habs had since Nashville came into the league? AV, Therrien, Julien, Gainey, Carbonneau, Gainey, Martin, Cunneyworth.

Having been away for awhile missed watching most of the playoffs so far. Looking forward to watching today. Did get to watch yesterdays Pitt Philly game and enjoyed watching it. Momentum is a funny thing, if Pitt wins next game have to believe that Philly dressing room will be very nervous.

24. TomNickle says:

Kevin Klein has been my runaway MVP of the playoffs so far.

He thrived against the tough matchups in Detroit when the big line from the Wings got away from Suter and Weber and has contributed a lot of offense so far.

Playing fantastic hockey

The Nashville Canadiens are playing very well! I just wonder why all our rejected Hab players are still in the play offs, while we look from the side lines.
    Could it be incompetent management and coaches?
    At the end of the season we will learn much about our ownership as well. Will G. Molson bring in the best management team?, or will he go with the media and public pressure?

26. habstrinifan says:

TMZ North reports the sighting of a not-so-infuriated well-coiffed, square-jawed motorist swearing vehemently as he worms his way through Montreal traffic, tossing Mo-Town CD’s out his window and groovin to the mellow melodies of “Dion.. Live in Vegas”.

27. habstrinifan says:

Impression from Pitts-Philly game.

A)Crosby may not be ready to go next game.
    B)Fleury has found his form annd Pits now have real edge in goal.
    C)It’s Pittsburgh plumbers vs Philly stars rest of series. Dont think Philly can match with plumbers.

• jarat says:

I didn’t watch the game.. What happened to Crosby that he might not be ready for game 6???

• habstrinifan says:

Collision with teammate Malkin. Didnt look same after. And camera-shots of him on bench focussed on eyes… he looked sort of out of it. He did play on but not all out and wasnt used in many key situations.

• jarat says:

AAhhhh!!!! They have3n’t shown that on Sports |Centre.. Malkin usually steps it up, but it might affect them if he can’t play.. Thanks for the info!!

• TomNickle says:

The thing with Fleury is that he’s always been a guesser between the pipes. So he either looks like Dominek Hasek or Roman Checkmaneck.

I don’t know that you could say he’s “found his form”, but he certainly played better.

In my opinion you just never know what you’ll get with Fleury which is why that organization has one Cup right now instead of three.

28. John Q Public says:

Does anybody have a timeframe as to when the New management team will be in place ?

I am assuming it will be before the draft in June.

Besides Roy who else might be the New coach?

29. LEAF KILLERS says:

impressed with Dumba but thinking Galchenyuk.

30. habstrinifan says:

Yes! One of my beefs with HABS offense last season, and which I commented on often, is their very rigid under-use of their defense.

Specifically, once they have gained the offensive zone, either on the PP or on a 5-on-5 rush, their three forwards use the two defensemen ONLY as a last resort. The passes to and involvement of the defense come mostly as a hurried pass which affords the defenseman very little opportunity but to fire the puck back towards the net or behind the net just to keep it in the zone.

I hope that changes.