Pre-game party starts at 3 p.m. at Place des Festivals

The Canadiens’ season opener against the Toronto Maple Leafs starts at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Bell Centre (CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690), but the fun starts outside several hours earlier in the Quartier des Spectacles.

The NHL is hosting a free street festival Tuesday at Place des Festivals from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. where people can also watch the RDS broadcast of the game on giant video boards.

The 2013 Molson Canadian NHL Face-Off will feature performances by Kings of Leon, the headline act, as well as Loco Locass and The Beaches, a Toronto-based indie rock group. The event also includes family-friendly, free interactive games, prizes, street hockey clinics, and a chance for fans to compete for the hardest shot.

This is the third time the event has been held in Canada, with previous editions in Toronto and then Winnipeg.

“It has a little bit of everything for the fan base,” said Brian Jennings, the NHL’s chief marketing officer.

Canadiens owner Geoff Molson went on Twitter Tuesday afternoon asking fans at the Bell Centre to sing out loud to O Canada before the game.

Tweeted Molson: “Ce soir, on va demander aux partisans de chanter l’hymme national…tonight, we will ask our fans to sing the national anthem… #GHG”

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Game preview, canadiens.com

It begins tonight, torontomapleleafs.com

Ready to party, NHL.com

NHL Network and NHL.com predictions, NHL.com

Eastern Conference preview, montrealgazette.com

Western Conference preview, montrealgazette.com

Habs’ Parros ready for action, TSN.ca

The evolution of P.K. Subban, torontosun.com

Eight-year, $64-million deal for Leafs’ Kessel, sportsnet.ca

NHL players approve hybrid icing rule, montrealgazette.com

Plenty of intrigue as NHL blazes new path, montrealgazette.com

Ten questions looking for answers, montrealgazette.com

The 5.2 hole, montrealgazette.com

Weird names +wild cards, montrealgazette.com

1. B says:

Murray won’t be playing tonight, but I heard they are sneaking him out as a flag bearer to take out a few Leaves during the pre game stuff.

–Go Habs Go!–

2. frontenac1 says:

@burly. Good question amigo. I have no answer.

So Buffalo Sabres are going with two captains who will alternate the C. Vanek at home games and Steve Ott for road games. Seems a bit odd, any chance they are giving Vanek the C in order to help re-sign him?

4. frontenac1 says:

@hobie. My guess is that the Wings have plenty of muscle stashed on the farm. Just like the Hawks do. Some of those Rockford games last year were old school. Saludos!

5. Propwash says:

Just wanted to say…

Have a great season everybody!!!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

6. Chris says:

Most recent word on Mike McCarron is that he will miss 1-2 weeks with an injured shoulder, so it can’t be too serious. Haven’t seen anything official on the Knights page.

• Maksimir says:

oh greeat…

1-2 weeks is a lot better than shoulder surgery and out for half or all the season I guess. Hopefully this doesn’t plague him all season, thus really diminishing an important year in his development.

Thanks for the update Chris.

• Chris says:

The bright news, from my point of view, is that it should curtail his fighting for a while until the shoulder is completely healthy. Given the general idiocy of the Knights organization and his linemates in particular (the Ruperts are little buggers on the ice), he would find himself fighting a fair bit.

Also, I should point out that he played the game before the one I watched on the Knights’ second line, playing wing for Chris Tierney and Josh Anderson. I would love to see him there, not with the Ruperts….McCarron (6’6″, 238 lbs.)-Tierney (6’1″, 187 lbs.)-Anderson (6’2″, 193 lbs.) is as close to a Legion of Doom as you will see in the OHL.

7. habstrinifan says:

What is twerking anyways?

8. Chris says:

Wow…I am a little surprised that James Gordon and Pat Hickey picked the Islanders to win the Patrick Division.

The Isles enter the season with their hopes riding on 38 year old Evgeni Nabokov. Nabokov has had a fine career, and he was a stabilizing presence for a young defence corps last season, but I just don’t see him carrying that team ahead of a team like Pittsburgh. The loss of Mark Streit also hurts them. I can see both Philadelphia (who I think will bounce back in a big way this year) and the Penguins beating out the Isles, with the Rangers and Capitals in the mix as well. The Capitals started the season slow, but if Ovechkin continues his resurgence and their defence tightens up a bit, they will be a factor.

For what it’s worth, Bill Watters (former Leaf exec., agent and media personality) has picked the Islanders to win their division and make it to the Cup final, losing to Chicago.

• neumann103 says:

The Isles are one of the teams (along with maybe Edmonton and Columbus) who have to have a breakout at some point. There is just too much young talent. I agree about Nabokov, but I am depending on him in one of my hockey pools where goalies were scarce. I am counting a bit on the “rising tide lifts all boats” effect. That being said, I can’t see them winning the Division. Third if things all go well, Fifth or sixth if they don’t.

I see them being in that race for the last two playoff spots in the East.

“Et le but!”

9. Sportfan says:

Letang is already injured?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

10. Morenz7 says:

Don’t get your heart set on the Habs wooing blue-chip free agents next summer. Even with the phase-out of Bush tax cuts, and the introduction of the Obama-care surtax, Quebec is the least tax-friendly environment for NHL players:

Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, meanwhile, just vaulted up the list.

I don’t attach too much importance to these things—the Canadiens have shown a willingness to overpay UFAs to make up the difference. But it certainly doesn’t make MB’s job any easier.

11. Maksimir says:

Hope Habs change things around… Leaf’s have owned them the past 2-3 seasons at Home.

Without McLaren and Clarkson though, I doubt its going to be a big night for fist fights.

12. frontenac1 says:

KE$$EL! Ha! Line him up and deck him Pk!

OK, OK, I have to admit it, I love the attention and screaming from the ladies at the Summit Raffle Fund Raiser when we do the table dance.!
    So I have purchased a powder blue outfit for this year! I think my thong will look better than Shane’s or Boone”s.

• Say Ash says:

Is there any twerking at these events?

I have never seen twerking at the Summit, but if I see either Ian, Shane or Boone in a thong, there will be some heaving!

• whoa here now! Over the summer on the Summit site I was voted too sexy for Milan, New York and Japan. So if my shirt wants to twerk, we’re gonna go bazerk!

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures
          Summit Member 00029.31
          8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
          Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

• Mattyleg says:

The Baton Rouge (despite their evocative name) does not ‘officially condone’ twerking, but at the same time, they have had great difficulty in keeping it out of the restaurant altogether.
        There have been reports of staff mistakenly fired for ‘twerking’, but appeals revealed that they had simply been opening the kitchen door with their posterior.
        Similarly, a barman who was severely reprimanded received an official apology after it was empirically proven that the ‘twerking’ motion very closely resembled the ‘pushing the tray into the glass-washer’ manouevre.

The staff have therefore adoped a ‘hands-off’ approach to twerking.
        So yes, there will be ‘twerking’, but only under strictly supervised conditions.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• B says:

Is that screaming like the horror when Godzilla wades through Tokyo? :)

–Go Habs Go!–

• Bripro says:

Scary visual….

14. Habs_4_ever says:

Just wondering…With the reconfigured nets this year will there still be room in it for a camera? They didn’t have any in-net cameras for the preseason games, at least not that I noticed.

————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

15. Mattyleg says:

Finally!
    Tonight’s the night were George Parros goes out and beats up each Leaf tough guy one after the other thus making us the better team!

It’s going to be great to finally be able to support a team that has a tough guy that can beat up other tough guys!

I’m tired of our tough guys not being tougher than the other team’s tough guys! Now we have the Toughest Guy, which means we win!!

Yeaaaahhh!!
    Fiiiiigggghhhhtttsssss!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. Sportfan says:

with the Leafs signing Kessel does this mean Phaneuf is out after next season?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

17. Sportfan says:

I think White should be in this game tonight not Moen

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

18. govenah says:

Here’s what I do tonight. Everyone is expecting a long and boring opening ceremony. If am management I make is short and sweet 30 seconds. Tell our team but don’t tell the laffs.
    Have Prust rally the troops to go immediately. It’s about now not the past!

Drop the puck already.

• habstrinifan says:

Agree! But not 30 seconds LOL! Also start reducing all the ceremonies about the past and having the guys think of themselves as a major beginning.

Just curious. Doesnt the ‘visiting’ team have the option of only coming out for the ‘ending’ of the opening night ceremony.. and havent this right been exercised before. I know it may seem discourteous but some opeing ceremonies are incredibly long, pointless and boring. I know the visitors must come out for the introduction etc but not a complete long drawn out ceremony.

• sCOTT1243 says:

I totally agree with this…forget the stupid torch thing, introducing 30 ex Hab players and having our boys stand there for 45 minutes. Drop the puck, win the game and torch the Leafs charter plane!

• Timo says:

Announcer: “Numero 48, number 48 Daaanieeeeel I-Always-Wanted-To-Play-In-Montreaaaaaaoooooooooool Brieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereee!!!!!!”

Crowd goes nuts!

19. Dr.Rex says:

Today is the day that most of us return to think hockey. Now hockey’s back and we can start talking about the team again.

Hopefully most of you PC addicts stayed away form your electronic devices long enough to enjoy the summer this year and slowly fade away the greenish complexion that you guys get from gazing at your screens with googly eyes 24/7. :)

GO HABS!!!

20. Les-Habitants says:

From John Lu:
    Therrien says they didn’t want to be exposed carrying only 6 defencemen. The risk of injury, illness prompted Beaulieu’s recall.

Guess they figured they didn’t get enough of a look at him during training camp? Or is he already the automatic first call over Pateryn?

21. Psycho29 says:

Tweeted by Dave Stubbs, a prize for the Summit Raffle:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 4m
    When you’re nearly drilled, you keep it. Donating this to Hockey Inside/Out Summit charity raffle.

22. frontenac1 says:

Single Malts..check, Guinness…check, Cohibas…check. Time to stop by the Saloon to find a Leaf fan to lay down some coinfor tonight. It’s a Cinch amigos! Saludos!

23. Mattyleg says:

So I foolishly agreed to perform in an improv show tonight before realising that it was Opening Night.
    Geh.
    Have to follow on my phone, I guess.
    Probably get out of there by the 2nd period…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

OK Scenario for Improv:

Person: A Habs Fan.
      Place: A Live Improv Show.
      Time: Game Night.
      Scenario: A Habs Fan skips a Live Improv Show on Game Night.

And go…

• neumann103 says:

Edit: Luke beat me to it

Matty,

Where are you? Do you need an audience plant?

“Okay give me a character”
      “Guy watching a hockey game!”

“Great, and a location”
      “In his living room!”

“And a beverage”
      “Beer!”

“Et le but!”

24. JO says:

I think our 3rd line will be the key to Habs winning or losing.

• Lafrich says:

As long as the first line performs, as well as the second. And our defense is important. But Price is the most important. I digress – the third line, yes…the third line…

• habstrinifan says:

I think the HABS winning or losing will be the key to me having a 3rd beer before the 3rd period. Therefore that 3RD line will drive me to drink … one way or another.

25. habs001 says:

This game probably will have more intensity than the next few games…not sure if Parros is needed and if White would not be a better option..Parros coming off injury has not played in any games …i am not sure if he is ready for this game…

• shiram says:

Doubt he plays many minutes, most likely under 10.
      Someone will be double shifted and Prust will play on wing for a good number of shifts.
      I hope.

• HAB-PROFESSOR says:

if he wasn’t ready then he wouldn’t be near the ice…

its the oldest trick in the book, you don’t bother dressing a “Parros” for the pre season…for what? so some rookie steroid punks can try to make a name for themselves at our expense, look at how many useless fights Prust had to consent to…

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…

• twilighthours says:

Hey Prof! Welcome back. Most (maybe all) fights in the NHL are of the useless variety.

• HAB-PROFESSOR says:

tell that to the bench…do you really think they appreciate Prust? and now Parros?…fighting is a small part of the game, but it has big consequences, so you need that element, always have always will.

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…

26. Stevie.Ray says:

So experts keep tweeting that if you find the Kessel deal too high, then you don’t understand the new CBA?

So first, what do I not know?
    And second, does this mean Subban’s contract will be up around 8m too?

• Bill says:

Kessel can say he’s led the Leafs in scoring for four years. He can also say he’s 7th in scoring in the entire NHL over his years on the Leafs.

Subban cannot make similar claims. But he will get a huge deal. I would think around seven million, maybe seven and a half on average.

I also think Kessel’s contract is quite reasonable for a guy who has produced at a very elite level consistently for this many years.

Full Breezer 4 Life

27. GrosBill says:

Enjoy the game tonight everyone. I look forward to reading all the euphoric posts tomorrow if they win, and the DOOOOOMED posts if they lose.

Hello Ian,
    HIO Summit Information! On tours!

I also forgot to mention that I believe you have the blue coupons which give you a free admission to the Hall of Fame. If that is the case, than those who have those coupons can procure a tour of the Bell Centre for only 6$. The coupons would give you access to the Hall. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Alexander

Alexander Seguin
    Superviseur, Temple de la renommée
    Supervisor, Hall of Fame
    Canadiens de Montréal
    (514) 925-2362

29. Sportfan says:

Here’s my Jays season wrap up!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

30. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Did anyone else have my reaction to the photo of Murray in the article? Guy’s neck is like a tree trunk! I want him healthy and clearing guys from Price’s crease all the way into the opponent’s crease.

31. scavanau says:

If we learned anything from this pre-season it has to be “do not anger Phil Kessel…”

edited

32. shiram says:

I think Tinordi is probably already better than Murray is, so it’s not much of a loss.
    Murray has more experience and his positioning might be better, but Tinordi’s got more mobility out there.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree shiram. But is a healthy and in shape Murray possibly better for the lineup than Bouillon or Diaz. And can Murray get healthy and turn some heads?

• shiram says:

Thing is Murray would most likely play bottom pairing, and that’s where we got most of our guys, Bouillon, Diaz, Drewiske and Murray should all play bottom pairing minutes.
        I guess at that point MT can adapt that pairing depending on the team the Habs are facing.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think things would have to really be desperate for Drewiske to see the ice. I think you might be right about Bouillon, Diaz and Murray sitting for different games. It will be interesting to see what the defence will look like on game one of the playoffs. There will probably be some surprises.

• neumann103 says:

or Diaz.

And can Murray get healthy

and turn some heads?

Murray four years ago, fine. Murray the last two years, behind Boullion.

“Et le but!”

• yakhab says:

Here here !
          What did bouillon do to merit such negativity ?

• neumann103 says:

Hey, I am reasonably negative on Boullion, just that he is not behind Murray.

Boullion is old and this could be his last year, but appears to still be a valid #6D. I would hope that the Habs have enough depth that he doesn’t have to dress for 82 games, but it is not a disaster if he does.

Drewiske is a replacement level D man who is capable of being #7 or #8 on the depth chart and provide injury fill in. I would be worried if they had to play him 30 games.

Murray is apparently a shadow of his former self, cruising on a reputation that is 3-4 years past applicable. In the brief pre-season look, he seemed even slower than the end of last season. He is possibly not even replacement level. I find it hard to argue against small money for depth “insurance” guys like Drewiske and Murray (although I think Bergevin jumped the gun a bit and paid Murray too much). And maybe Bergevin is making a bet on some kind of resurgence. Fine. But to think he is some kind of saviour of the D because of his size is delusional.

And Diaz is a perfectly resonable #5D, #2PP unit guy.

Ideally
            Gorges Subban
            Markov Emelin (although I would really like to see Emelin on the Left side)
            Tinordi Diaz
            Boullion

Next year Beaulieu comes up, probably one of Diaz or Markov does not re-sign and Boullion retires

“Et le but!”

• Stevie.Ray says:

Tinordi has to prove himself still. Won’t anoint a rookie until he has played some actual NHL games for an extended period of time.

• HAB-PROFESSOR says:

MURRAY replaces DIAZ without a question.

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…

• Luke says:

No he doesn’t. Totally different styles of play. He competes with Tinordi, Boullion and himself. he can’t compete with Diaz. Diaz skates circles around him and is better with that puck thing they are placing too much importance on these days.

• HAB-PROFESSOR says:

what about the clearing the front of the net thing…and big hits thing, and outmuscling in the corners thing…. does little DIAZ beat MURRAY in those departments? AND ARE THEY NOT IMPORTANT FOR A D-MAN?

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…

• Luke says:

Yup. Certainly important. Neither guy is a “5 tool” NHLer. They both have some pretty obvious holes in their game.

That’s why his direct competition is with Bouillon, Tinordi, Gorges and eventually Emelin.

It’s not all or nothing. It’s balance.

3 decent puck movers, 3 physical-first (or Defense-first) guys is better than 2 and 4.

I think a third guy capable of Moving the puck is more important than having a 4th guy who pushes people.

33. LightningStrikes says:

I’m at work right now, so I can’t say much for my first post exept for LADIES AAAAAAAANNND GENTLMEN, ARREEEE YOOOUUUU READY TO RUUUUUUMBLE??!?!??!??!?

34. ont fan says:

So, why doesn’t the Red Wings need an enforcer in the east and we need at least 2 if not 3?

• Hobie Hansen says:

They”ll have one or two after playing the season in the East. I envision a line brawl in Boston where all 5 Wings on the ice get the snot beat out of them.

• LightningStrikes says:

I can easily see that happening.

• Walmyr says:

Agree Hobie…I think we gonna watch this on their first game…

I truly hope Detroit doesn’t need to chenge their style of play after this season. I love the Canadiens…but I am a fan of Detroit Red Wings style to play the game…

cheers

• Luke says:

Sub Leafs for Bruins, and I’d agree.

While the Bruins may be more thugly, it’s the Leafs who bring the goon show.

• Mattyleg says:

But, but, but…
        What about the ‘rougher, tougher Western Conference’ that everyone is always talking about, and how the Habs wouldn’t even have a snowball’s chance in hell over there, because they’d beat us into a bloody mass…?

What about that…??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• yakhab says:

The next game in Toronto all 5 wings on the ice get the snot beat out of them
        The next game in Philly all 5 wings on the ice get the snot beat out of them
        Wow gonna be a long season!

• Chris says:

I think we both know the answer.

The Red Wings have had an unprecedented run of success playing their style, and they have a coach that is smart enough to not switch his game plan to better suit his opponent.

The idea that the East is more physical than the West is absolutely laughable. I take it that the few people that believe that were not staying up to watch the late games. The most physical series in the playoffs last year was St. Louis-Los Angeles…that was an all-out war. There are tons of hard hitting teams out West.

• twilighthours says:

That series was insane. I couldn’t believe the hitting. As tough as I’ve ever seen hockey played.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agree Chris. The only thing is these Wings have slowed down a bit and aren’t the Wings they once were. I had a lot of respect and still do for their team as well. I just think they’re ripe for the picking.

We saw what the Bruins did to the disciplined, small and speedy Habs team over the past several years. They taunted, smacked around and beat up the Canadiens and had the momentum on their side as a result.

I could see the Bruins taking that game plan to the Wings and using to their advantage as well.

• Bill says:

I’m surprised you see it that way Hobie!

Just kidding, not surprised at all :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Chris says:

I agree that the Wings have slowed a little, although they still have some firepower.

But they are also a veteran team that has prided itself on good decision making on the ice. I simply can’t see them allowing a goon team to dictate the terms of how the game is going to be played, and Babcock is far too experienced and smart of a coach to allow his team to get sidetracked.

Ultimately, it is a moot point. If the Red Wings struggle this season, it will be because of a lack of good defencemen and a lack of depth at forward, not because of a lack of toughness.

• ont fan says:

I agree Chris. The west is as tough. Just wondered if the east fights more than the west or is it we seem to feel we have to match Boston and T.O. in the alley.

• Chris says:

When Montreal plays its game (speed, counter-attack, strong positional play), they have historically held their own against the Bruins. The only time that they seem to get smacked around is when they lose their discipline and try to beat the Bruins at their own game.

• neumann103 says:

^This.

In both aspects. The idea that a good team has to thug it up to compete with goons is a mindset. If you put that aside and build a team with talent to win like Detroit does then you don’t have to do that. Having players who can play physically is an asset, and adds another possible wrinkle to the game, and they have those, but preparing for a line brawl is a waste of time, money and roster space.

And I don’t think the East is markedly tougher than the west any more than I think the west is inherently more talented than the East (another trope often trotted out). LA/STL was much more physical than the theoretical Armageddon of BOS/TOR

“Et le but!”

• twilighthours says:

When I bought snowshoes, I could have bought the ones for deep powder, or the ones for shallower but more crisp snow. The guy selling them said to me, “it’s like this: get the shoes you’ll need for 90% of the time you’re in the woods, not 10% of the time”

Think about it.

• neumann103 says:

I have had a chance to think.

When I bought snowshoes I bought the ones that were good for walking in snow, not the ones that the guy said were good for fighting bears.

“Et le but!”

• twilighthours says:

exactly

35. Ron says:

Brian Wilde tweeted that Tinordi has been told Not to find an apartment yet.

I would think this would be to keep him hungry and not let up with his play until they are sure of him thriving here.

36. Strummer says:

it’s official-Kessel extended for 8 years $64 million

Edit- David Clarkson thinking- “This is really gonna cost ME money”
    Repeat- “Must Not Leave bench, Must Not Leave Bench!”
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

37. Ron says:

Its a given that as Habs fans were all hyped and ready for a great game especially against the laffs. My only worry is that as in previous such games the refs take over the game and ruin it. The cross checks, stick jabs along with late runs at players by the laffs get a pass but anything the Habs do whether it be minor or on the edge gets called. Any word on who has been assigned to do this game, and please don’t answer with Lee or Peel :D :D

38. boing007 says:

Hoping that George Parros takes out Orr at the first opportunity.

Richard R

Interesting how perspectives of teams are so different from fans of other teams. Spoke to a good buddy earlier, who is a Leaf fan. His comment was that losing Murray will hurt us until Emelin returns, and that otherwise he thinks Habs have a good looking defence.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The question with Murray now is if he’s just completely out of shape or has just had some bad luck?

• jols101 says:

Also “experts” during both TSN and Sportsnet previews said the Habs had a strong D core this year. I’m not sure why so many are down on them around here.

Leaf sites are over-joyed with the Kessle signing.

• Timo says:

So when the “experts” on the aforementioned networks mention that Habs won’t make the playoffs we are all up in arms and don’t believe them. But when they say that Habs have good D corps we agree? :)

Habs will have decent D indeed when
        a) Diaz is not part of it
        b) Gorges is not part of it
        c) Emelin is back
        d) Bouillon is #7 dman
        e) Murray is back and can move slightly faster than a snail

• jols101 says:

Actually Sportnet has us in 4th in the division with a wildcard playoff spot. TSN had us 5th and out of the playoffs. Obviously TSN has no idea what they are talking about. lol.

• zephyr says:

the only reason I was a bit sour on georges was because he lacked a physical game. it sure didn’t show in the preseason so im keeping an open mind. he’s a sound dman otherwise. maybe they’re keeping diaz around if they can’t resign markov. I don’t think u can have 2 soft dmen on the roster.

• habstrinifan says:

Good wake-up post re our reaction to the ‘experts.

40. habsfan0 says:

Laffs will hold a 4-1 lead heading into the 3rd period tonight, Habs tie it with 3 late goals,and win it in OT on a goal by Briere.

“Memories and Dreams” as they say in Toronto.

41. JO says:

Good luck to the Habs

42. habsguru says:

tsn radio all over Parrosh playing tonight, and who/how/why/when he is going to fight. he has never played as a hab, and opening night thats all they have??? these guys must drive their car into things, just to use their insurance… thought they were better, must have hung out with pj stock all summer

43. twilighthours says:

Thanks guys! You’re all beauty.

44. twilighthours says:

Hey hey! I’ve been swamped with sick kids/wife, running schedule, work, etc. I’ve been totally out of the loop for the past week.

Anyone care to give me the 10-bullet-point-or-less summary of things I need to know for tonight’s season opener?

Do you want the glass half full or the Timo perspective?

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

1) There will be torches. Many of them.
      2) HNIC will unveil that their consensus Stanley Cup champion is the Toronto Maple Leafs
      3) Don Cherry will talk about how the league is going to the dogs, there’s no code anymore, etc., etc., in regards to the David Clarkson suspension
      4) PJ Stock will talk about how the Habs don’t stand a chance against the bigger, badder Bruins and Leafs
      5) The entire opening segment will be dedicated to the Reimer/Bernier controversy
      6) Elliotte Friedman will say something reasonably intelligent, but be drowned out by Healy yelling about Leafs brass
      7) The Tragically Hip will be somehow involved in a montage
      8) Parros will get in a fight.
      9) The Habs will win 5-0 on the backs of solid performances by rookie dman Tinordi (replacing the injured Murray), clutch scoring from Briere and a great game by the Kid Line.
      10) The entire post-game show will be spent dissecting Carlyle’s decision to start Reimer.

• DuckDodgers says:

Not-a-last-minute-decision-department, Price will start. Too bad Franson signed last minute,8th or 9th in defenseman scoring, Subbie first, Markov around 5th. Briere is the new Cole. Gio recovered in time. EGG line scrambling. No AHLers on fourth line. Same coaches except for Waite.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Hobie Hansen says:

1) Tinordi in Murray injured.
      2) Top 3 Lines same as last year (when healthy) with Briere taking Ryder’s spot.
      3) Leafs are missing Clarkson and MacLaren.
      4) Habs 4th line looking mighty tough with Moen-Prust-Parros.
      5) Price’s 1st game after new goalie coach hired.

That’s really all you need to know…

• neumann103 says:

The bi-polar version

1. Murray out is either MOAR SMALLER or a blessing in disguise.
      2. Tinordi in is an asset either because he is going to beat up entire teams with his 8 foot reach or because he is actually a good defenseman.
      3. Missing Emelin will hurt either because Emelin is not in the top 4 or because Diaz is.
      4. The Kid Line is either disappointing because they did not tear up the preseason or the Future because they are.
      5. To be a contributor Prust has to Fight, or Prust has to not fight in order to be able to contribute.
      6. Bournival is either not enough to take a roster spot from a face puncher or the second coming.
      7. Carey Price will let in all 5 hole goals because he is a bum and lost 2 inches off his pads or Price will be elite and headed to Sochi.
      8. Daniel Briere will suck up $4M in cap space while not making the team any better or will score clutch goals in the playoffs. Maybe both.
      9. PK Subban cannot be allowed to play on the PK because – well actually there is no reason -or PK has to be on the PK.
      10. The Habs will finish at the bottom of the East but draft a franchise player or the Habs will finish first overall but draft David Fischer’s less talented brother.

“Et le but!”

45. Ghosts of the Forum says:

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs practising last minute/extra man scenario. Personnel are Desharnais, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Brière, Subban and Markov.

46. Kooch7800 says:

DownGoesBrown Tweet “A reminder to Sens fans that Bobby Ryan will be using the Kessel deal as a comparable next summer.”

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

47. sCOTT1243 says:

Lets go Habs!!!!

Hate the leafs and Toronto media with a passion. Please win tonight boys.

Lets start Parros, Prust, Tinordi, White and Moen tonight, a little demonstration of what will happen if Leafs pull the crap they pulled last year.

• Kooch7800 says:

nah…score some goals. and hit like crazy. We don’t need to play their game. Habs need to play their game and if it needs to get nasty than we have the horses to handle them

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Luke says:

White is a scratch.

You are missing a defenseman. (Bouillon can handle himself).

• twilighthours says:

Hey Lukey…. my foot hurts (a lot, I’m worried about a stress fracture) but I’m still a go for the marathon in Nov.

I just ran a pretty good (for me) time at a local race here…. 10.9km in 49mins for 4:30 avg pace.

• Luke says:

Damn. That’s awful. I have a friend who ran a marathon on a stress fracture.
          Surgery and a year off running was his reward. be careful!

That’s a great time for the 10.9 on a bum foot, though.

Haven’t had a serious run since my 22km on Sept 2nd. Maybe I should gp for a quick one today to preempt the copious amount of beer I am about to consume…

And a special story just for Timo since he is celebrating DD day with Daniel Briere.

49. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Beaulieu on the opening day roster. Everybody happy now?

Go Habs. Leave Leafs.

Some season opening nights stats.

OPENING-NIGHT NOTES (Courtesy of Elias)

* Since the 1927-28 season, the reigning Stanley Cup champion is 50-21-14 in its season opener.

* The Avalanche/Nordiques franchise (18-8-7, .652) has the highest points percentage among active NHL teams in season openers. The Lightning (12-6-2, .650) and Oilers (19-10-4, .636) rank second and third, respectively.

* The Lightning, Maple Leafs, Oilers, Sabres, Sharks and Stars have each won their last three season openers, tied for the longest active streak in the NHL. The all-time longest winning streak in season openers is nine, accomplished by both the Blues (1978-86) and Canadiens (1953-61).

* The Maple Leafs (4-0-2) have secured at least one point in their last six season openers, the longest active streak in the League. The longest all-time streak for points in season openers is 17, set by the Canadiens from 1963-79 (13-0-4).

* Only three active players have recorded hat tricks in their team’s season opener: Teemu Selanne (Winnipeg, 1993), Paul Stastny (Colorado, 2007) and Derek Stepan (NY Rangers, 2010).

* The record for most goals in a team’s season-opening game is five, achieved by three players: Babe Dye (1922), Harry Hyland (1917) and Joe Malone (1917).

* Pittsburgh’s Kevin Stevens holds the all-time record for points in a season opener – he recorded 2-4—6 in the Penguins’ season-opening defeat of the Capitals in 1990.

* New Jersey’s Jaromir Jagr (11-24—35) has the most career points in season openers. He’s followed by Ray Bourque (9-21—30), Wayne Gretzky (9-18—27) and Joe Sakic (11-16—27).

* Florida’s Kevin Dineen (2-0-0, 1.000) leads active NHL coaches in points percentage in season openers. San Jose’s Todd McLellan (4-1-0, .800), St. Louis’ Ken Hitchcock (9-2-3, .750), Pittsburgh’s Dan Bylsma (3-1-0, .750) and Montreal’s Michel Therrien (4-2-0, .667) round out the top five.

51. Tuoms says:

While I’m sick of the CBC constantly ramming this over-hyped, long-dead, Habs – Leafs rivalry down our throats, I’m excited about hockey being back.

I’m usually an optimist – our team is undefeated at the moment, but I still have serious concerns about the D. As I’ve said before… Price will go as our D goes. With Murray out, the band-aid has been removed, leaving us with the same core as last spring. Hopefully Tinordi is ready for a larger role on this team. Otherwise, It is going to be a rough couple months.

I never get tired of that picture of Paros standing beside Gionta.

~“There is no Leafs-Canadiens rivalry. It’s dead: The Leafs killed it.” – Ken Dryden~

52. HABSsince92 says:

Can’t wait for tonight boys……….hoping for a win against the Leafs to start the season off right!

I think the Habs will be 3rd or 4th in the division and hopefully win at least 1 playoff round to get some confidence for the young guns.

_________________________________________________

PK please sign………..long term.

Today is the D day – as in DD day.. as in Dany I-always-wanted-to-play-in-Montreal Briere day!

54. MtlCANADIENS93 says:

Good morning the rest of the habs nation! its that time of year again!

i can say HOCKEY IS BACK

55. habsfanforever7631 says:

Been waiting for tonight all summer!
    It’s going to be great!
    Hoping the Habs stay healthy and do good things this year.

We will finish third in the conference.
    You heard it here first!

56. SUMO says:

Brian Wilde is saying on TSN690 that Bouillon not at morning skate (flu). Beaulieu will be in tonight.

57. Ron says:

Wow, Hal Gill signs with the Flyers for $700k, 1 year…

HIO SUMMIT CHARITY RAFFLE, ITINERARY & LOCATIONS

“Fantastic raffle prizes this year folks!”
    Please bring your charity gift donations promptly at 3pm to the Baton Rouge.
    Raffle tickets will be sold at 3pm.
    “$20 ea. and 3 tickets for $40.”

Money goes to the Mtl. Canadiens Children Foundation, buy as many raffle tickets as you can.
    Every one of us gets to choose a wonderful gift to take home.

On Friday Oct. 25th
    We will all meet and greet at Hurley’s pub Friday eve. on Crescent St.
    Some of us will be having supper there, and name tags will be given out by Shane and Sherrie.
    Everyone is welcome to join us. Wear you team colors! and enjoy the evening.

Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s at 8:30am. 1240 Drummond St.
    You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

After breakfast we walk over to the Bell Center for the Hall of Fame and Bell Center Tour.

At 3pm the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation Charity Raffle at the Baton Rouge restaurant 1050 Mountain St.

Each person is asked to bring one gift item to donate for the charity raffle, so everyone gets a gift to go home with. After this years fund raiser, HIO members will have donated over $10,000. We are supporting the Mtl. Canadiens Children Foundation.

Then our wonderful Baton Rouge Restaurant pre game dinner.

After dinner we walk across the street to the Bell Center and Hab’s game.

After the game the 2nd floor of Hurley’s pub is reserved for us again, to celebrate the win. Anyone may join us, just identify yourself as a HIO member.

Please be generous with your charity raffle gifts and your purchase of raffle tickets. It is a way for our HIO community to give back to less fortunate kids.

Everything is walking distance, so park your car for the weekend.
    Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO community at this years Summit.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

59. Sportfan says:

That’s a really cool idea, if my homework situation wasn’t so bad/mlb playoffs I would be there in a heart beat.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

60. Luke says:

Simmons on PK:

Seems to me like he’s back tracking a bit on his “PK is undeserving of a Norris” stance he took.

‘Suppose he’s become a little closer to bland, and hockey writers like that. And they also like complaining about how bland players are. In fact, SS does both in this article…

PKs growing up and more about team etc…
    Where are the personalities. The Hulls’s and Roenicks? etc…

• punkster says:

Oh…Steve Simmons?

The guy who went on TSN the morning after the Lucic hit on Max to say that Lucic was skating backwards, didn’t see him, wasn’t intentional, so no penalty…that Steve Simmons?

That Steve Simmons is just about the only sports “writer” who I can say truly fits the asshat description…he’s a d-bag…and on a family site that’s just about as far as I can go.

That Steve Simmons?

Pfft.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Sportfan says:

I really don’t care for Steve Simmons, I watch The Reporters often and he’s the most obnoxious one there. He should leave PK alone its like he dislikes the guy or something.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Luke says:

He dislikes everyone. It seems like he’s got a real axe to grind.

He’s very negative and rather condescending in his writing. He’s a mudslinger, but acts like he has the high moral ground.

That said, I like his Weekend columns.

61. Luke says:

With all the questions the TSN’s and Sportsnet’s have about the Habs (who finished 2nd in the East last season), have they asked if Toronto will be able to maintain the unnaturally high shooting % of last season while having one of the lowest puck control totals in the league?

62. Ghosts of the Forum says:

LeBrun and Gagnon reporting it’s Reimer tonight.

Good morning and welcome to another season folks! Showed up a bit early this morning, booked a meeting from 4-5 (MST) so I can get the hell outta here in time for the game. Pizza on order, beers chilling in the fridge….ain’t it good to be alive!

63. Bripro says:

Has anyone read the NHL.com’s predictions?
    How many votes did Subban get? 0. The reigning Norris trophy winner.
    How many votes did Ovechkin (Hart) get? 0.
    How many votes did Bobrovsky (Vezina) get? 0.

And under the category of “do you like my hair – never mind my lack of credibility”, Barry Melrose picked the Caps to win it all.
    Yessiree, let’s take it seriously!

Tonight we play Toronto, a week later we play Philadelphia, and that is the last time we play an eastern conference team until November 16th. In the first 20 games, only 2 eastern teams in a month and a half.! NUTS!

65. Ron says:

Beaulieu recalled from Hamilton this morning..

EDIT: You got me Pro

Looks like Nathan may get the Sink or Swim treatment. Let’s hope he knows how to swim, wish him all the best in whatever type of action he gets in on. Assuming he’ll be in pressbox until injuries or Drewiskie is ready. But maybe he gets in a game and impresses.

• Luke says:

I wonder if Drewiskie will grab him some nachos and a soda?

For 600K, he better…

• habstrinifan says:

Nothing against Drewiskie.. and looking more like it re Murray also, but new young blood of our own from now on. Until we are at the point that a great player or two will get us a CUP.

• Luke says:

I was just picking on Drewiskie… Who i think is hurt…

With Dew and Murray injured, I think Bouillon might be the only extra defenseman at the moment, so they need to have a guy on hand in case of an injury in the warm up or something…

Makes sense to have a spare. Plus, NB gets a nice bump on his paycheque!

• Ron says:

He had only got the 1 game of pre season in due to his injury at camp but I thought he faired well. I doubt if he dresses tonight though, going to sit in the press box as insurance as you alluded to.

• habstrinifan says:

I am loving the renewal of the team that seems to be happening bit by bit. Of course it isnt going to be done overnight but soon we will be able to look at the HABS and see a team built from within. I love it.

• Kooch7800 says:

He will be just fine I think

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the info. Exciting!

66. Propwash says:

Beaulieu recalled.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

67. habstrinifan says:

habstrinifan

October 1, 2013 at 10:00 am

I am noticing a slight shift in the temper of the room. People are suddenly replacing the bright, sunshine welcoming, honeycomb blinds of summer’s optimism with the opaque blinds of fatal reality.

HABS, the team, have all the pieces to have a solid season and capture a playoff spot. We should not wish or feel the need right now for “one man more”. Without bankrupting our treasury of assets, Marc Bergevin has fully furnished his forces at EVERY position. There may be not be an acclaimed or legendary warrior at every position, or even at any position. But the fight is at hand and each player that, today is considered ordinary, will be hailed the hero tomorrow … if TONIGHT, he extracts from himself an extraordinary effort.

Coach Therrien must become the inspiring General. Forget about identifying the honourable teammate and give each player the enthusiasm to reach for distinguishable honour.

TONIGHT and for the rest of the season his message must create the mental attitude of the following quotes.

1)If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be. ~Maya Angelou

2)You are as amazing as you let yourself be. Let me repeat that. You are as amazing as you let yourself be. ~Elizabeth Alraune

3)You are very powerful, provided you know how powerful you are. ~Yogi Bhajan

4)All things splendid have been achieved by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance. ~Bruce Barton

Predictions? Predictions are for pundits and politicians and pencil pushers back at the home office. We make no predictions and thus have no forebodings. The bugle is at the bugler’s lips. Soon we fight!

Nice post bud! CHeers to that.

• timothy13 says:

Inspiring words habstrinifan! Everything you said is spot on! I embrace the attitude that management and the coaching staff have done an excellent job. The puck shall drop for every game and we just have to see what happens. We have to have faith and then pray that that faith is responded too. I am fine with the fact that their will be victories, good and bad ones but 2 points. The same in the ‘L’ category but lets all give the 2013/14 Montreal Canadiens a 110% chance. Changes will come with injuries and then the trade dead-line and then the summer. But today it is anticipation and tonight, PLAY! WIN!

68. John Q Public says:

Week of April 14th, the real hockey season begins …………..
    Stanley Cup or Bust !

69. Habs_4_ever says:

*Re-post from previous thread….

although I’m exited about tonight, I don’t have a good feeling about it. I didn’t see enough during the preseason to reassure me about the upcoming season. I know…the preseason doesn’t mean anything! One game does not make a season but tonight will be very telling.

————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

70. Habsrule1 says:

Are you readyyyyyyyyyyy?

So pumped for game 1! I’ll have the game on my 9′ projector screen tonight!
    Can’t wait to see the Habs dismantle the leafs! It should be a lot of fun!

Go Habs Go!!

71. ooder says:

my prediction.. we dominate the leafs for the first 7 minutes and get scored on. people will proclaim that the goal was a soft one (whether it was or not). we will continue to dominate and then get scored on again in the 2nd.
    in the 3rd we will pop one in but by then it will be too late.
    hope i am wrong and very pumped for the season to get underway

72. Bripro says:

FIFTH!
    Call me Boom Boom.

73. The Jackal says:

GET PUMPED!

First game of the year, how exciting!

I say the Habs win this one in a typical heated grudge match against the loser laffs.

But remember folks, we lost the first game of the season last year and went on a 4 game win streak after, so if we lose, please don’t freak out.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

74. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

First….whatever….

75. Pumped for jub jubs….. I wanna Rock……Won’t you take me to……funky town…..I wear my sun glasses at night…..girls just wanna have fun….my girl wants to party all the time…..take me home to gypsy road…..99 red balloons………I got my mind set on you….victory day!

I am normally really excited for puck drop but after the way the Canadiens exited the last three weeks of the season I am just kinds waiting to see how it all works out.
    Very odd considering how big a fan I am. I guess year after year of no cup has finally worn me down.
    (GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE SHANE)
    OH YEAH BABY I’M READY, SEND THOSE LEAFERS PACKING

Pack it up pack it in, let me begin, I’m the cream of the crop, I rise to the top, I don’t eat pig cause a pig is a cop…

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31
    8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
    Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT