Practice resumes; writer’s cramp for Price

The Canadiens return to the practice rink in Brossard today at 11:30 a.m., Wednesday’s visit of the Carolina Hurricanes the first of the Habs’ final six games of the regular season. Updates to come here and via Twitter.

Then goalie Carey Price heads out late afternoon for a two-hour appearance and autograph signing in nearby St. Hubert. Details on that below.

Details of Carey Price’s appearance/signing session this evening:

1. SeriousFan09 says:

The fact that he made the 10 Greatest Canadians list was one of the biggest moments of national shame in decades for me, especially when you consider some of the people from 11-100 here.

Don’t approve of a number of people on that list but if you have to make a clear-cut example, was Don Cherry a greater Canadian than Nellie McClung who led the freakin’ movement that won women the right to vote?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. ed lopaz says:

what ever happened to playing 2 forward lines that can score, 1 shut down (defensive) line, and the 4th line was reserved for the young guys who would not get too much ice.

why we would throw Darche, for example, onto the 1st line for a few games, then the 4th, then the 3rd, then into the Press box, I just don’t get it.

you usually should not be moving around your lower tier forwards that much – that’s why they’re lower tier, they don’t have the skill to be moved up to the first line.

The top two lines should be mixed together at times to find the right chemistry.

1)Pleks plays with Cammy and AK

2)Gomez plays with Gionta and Pouliot

is there any doubt that Moore, Moen, Darche should be on the 3rd line (but not with SK – since when did he become responsible in his own zone, strong along the boards, winning one on one battles – he’s a skilled top 6 player, isn’t he?)

3)Moore with Moen and Darche (plays against other teams #1 line)

4) Lapierre with Pyatt and SK

OK Tom, I buy it totally. I personally have disliked the man going all the way back to the Boston days. But what I am enjoying is the portrait of how things were somewhat in the 50s. He has no education but for what was in front of him on a daily bases. It is the way he thought the world worked.

I also do not have any formal education, the only thing I know is what was in front of me on a daily bases. I do not know why he formulated such stupid ideas. But I can assure you that my 4 kids don’t look up to him, I find it informative and educational for them to see the difference first hand. They laugh at him also, not with him.

4. TomNickle says:

To be fair, you saying that the movie is a representation of Anglo-Canadian culture is like saying that every resident of Quebec is a separatist.

5. TomNickle says:

You would think that Price, Halak, Gill and Gomez tour the province abusing everyone’s wives and bullying children.

6. TomNickle says:

He’s a hero to the ignorant and a father to the fatherless.

7. sholi2000.com says:

You can always tell when holidays and school vacation is ongoing.  The intellectual replies on here always dwindle to 12 year old’s replies.

They call me Shane

8. SeriousFan09 says:

There are better men in hockey to make movies about than Don Cherry is what bothers me. The CBC wimped out and did a puff piece on the guy they’ve been enabling for 30 years to give a 1-dimensional view of hockey and over the last decade certainly have made sure they don’t put anyone else on HNIC that might contradict him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

Right.

But even if he wasn’t a bigot, he’s a doofus. Why does one of the supposed guardians of our national culture commission a movie about a  doofus?

10. TomNickle says:

They are stat watchers too and not game watchers.  The team gets called anemic offensively and the Powerplay terrible for only scoring two goals in a game but the fact is that the games and Buffalo and New Jersey have been two of the best two way games the team has played all year.

11. ed lopaz says:

that porsche pop up is really annoying. I guess someone must buy those cars but the HIO site seems like a bit of a marketing stretch to me.

12. TomNickle says:

Ian, I think you’ll find that a man being glorified with a movie about him and being named one of the top 100 Canadian people last year or the year before rubs people the wrong way and for good reason.  He may have gone through hard times as a player in the minor league system mid century but that doesn’t separate him from thousands of others.  The CBC for two decades has promoted and sold a racist as a face for children of the country to look up to and you won’t have people be ok with that.  The CBC is a shoot first ask questions later network controlled by our government.  It infuriates many that they would employ and promote a man with such character flaws and it angers them to a further extent that he is a role model to children and adults alike in this country.  They throw Alex Burrows under the bus, Cherry says that the QMJHL has a problem with drugs(narcotics), not steroids, he calls Swedes Sweedish Meatballs and I could go on and on for hours.

The guy may be firm in his opinions but does that make him a great person?  Does it make him a role model?  It makes him marketable and a valuable asset for the CBC but they have an obligation as a government owned corporation to uphold standards reflecting good moral values and opinions of objectivity.  Ron MacLean and Don Cherry are the epitome of biased, racist and careless behaviour.

If they even aired something to the effect of “The following opinions expressed in Coaches Corner are no way a reflection of the opinions of the CBC, Canadian government or it’s employees and are not necessarily shared by the same”, they would be fine but they don’t even do that.  They promote Cherry as a man to admire and aspire to be, that’s wrong.

13. topher5468 says:

What does that have to do with class, he’s a kid, I understood.   Class to me was at the end of that horrible clip, Price is there saluting the crowd with his teamates. Oh yea, me personally, I would never bring that garbage to a Habs website. Its tasteless., if you really are a Habs fan.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

14. mike g says:

Welcome abord, Mikey (nice name)…

To call Habs fans bipolar is IMO unfair. Not to the fans, but to those who actually suffer from the illness. I like to call alot of habs fans “media spitters”. This is because they believe everything that is written in the press and what is said on the radio. They then repeat it on the web, to their friends, and it affects the way they view certain players…

EX: 2 years ago when Price came in and played very well, everybody was talking about how the Habs were set for the next 10 years in goal. They had their netminder for the future. Everyone in the media believed it and his bright future was all they would talk about. Fast forward to 2 years later, and now they can’t stand him. They’ve boarded the Halak wagon, and find any little thing to downgrade Price. So, the “fans” are also doing this.

EX: The Habs this season have been up and down. You don’t know what to expect for many reasons; injuries, new team/coaching staff, etc…And instead of the media keeping their cool, they don’t. They know it’s an 82 game season filled with so many surprises, but they change their moods way too often, which is then reflected on the fans. Win, and the newspapers are filled with exclamation marks. Lose, and the radio stations greet you all day with sad intro songs…

But those who have a head on their shoulders are able to keep their heads above water. Make sure you wear your floatters on this site, because it’s a mirror of what I explained above. We don’t want you drowning too….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

15. TomNickle says:

Was it not two weeks ago that Todd was calling him one of the architects of a dangerous playoff bound team?

That guy is complete waste of time.

I only know Canadian culture with two distinctive languages. Anglo, French, American and Russia are other countries

17. HabsRadio says:

Price is finally getting the challenge he needed to live up to his potential in the NHL.  This’ll bode real well for him going forward.

We discuss more on the topic here: http://www.habsradio.com/2010/03/29/pessah-edition/

===========================================================================
    Check out http://www.HabsRadio.com for a fresh take on all things Habs. Blogs, Discussions, and of course, the Podcast!

18. deggy24 says:

I agree 100% with this post. I can’t believe that a broadcasting company, that is publicly funded, employs an idiot like Cherry. I understand that he is popular, but so are Rush Limbagh and Sarah Palin. In the 7th game of last year’s Cup finals, between the 2cd and 3rd period, Cherry shows Maxime Talbot’s fights during the year, rather than breaking down the goals and patterns of play. I say wt f.

Cherry has made millions marketing himself and selling entertainment. His knowledge of the game is about 15% and his arrogance tops the list.

But the man does walk the walk and you always know where he stands on a subject, even if he is wrong more often than not.

One thing that I admire is that he is a survivor.

20. SLONCOLD says:

actually gainey went to the media with that, not jaro

21. HabFanSince72 says:

First, you don’t understand what  the CBC has to do with Anglo-Canadian culture?

Second, based on the few clips I’ve seen, the movie sucks.

22. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

It’s good that you know about the ups and downs of Habs fandom. Take everything people write here with a grain of salt (and maybe a shot of tequila)… most of us change opinions halfway through a sentence. There’ll always be 50% agreeing with you and 75% disagreeing with you. And yeah, the math is weird here.

23. Xtrahabsfan says:

Price shoulda done that strip-teese bit from slap-shot,lol………….

24. SeriousFan09 says:

We’ve lost of 3 of our last 4, of course the malcontent will be up to his usual tricks.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Paul, I don’t follow your line of thought, please explain for me. What does Anglo or Canadian culture have to do with the 50s minor pro hockey??

26. Xtrahabsfan says:

But can he fight Laddy?

27. SeriousFan09 says:

I really don’t think CBC needed to put together a miniseries with public money to stroke the ego of someone who hasn’t actually done anything important in hockey in 30 years and is paid an obscene amount of money by CBC to do 15 minutes of TV time a week, with rants including anti-European propaganda, going against good player safety (visors are bad) and pretending the Montreal Canadiens don’t exist because he can’t get over the mid 70s.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. HabFanSince72 says:

In today’s Gazette, Jack Todd  calls Bob Gainey a “bully”.

Now you can debate Gainey’s decisions as Habs GM all you want, but to refer to a man who is universally viewed as decent and honest as a “bully” is truly beyond the pale.

Todd is the bully – week in, week out he character-assasinates sports personalities from the safety of his Gazette cubicle. Would he dare repeat his borderline slander to Gainey’s face?

29. HabFanSince72 says:

I only saw a few clips, bit they  confirmed my impression of the current CBC, and, sadly,  of Anglo-Canadian culture in general.

A wasteland.

A total wasteland.

30. adesbarats says:

Oh, please – what are you….a robot? Maybe you’re that little Honda robot guy.

When your own fans are lining up to stick their knives and forks into you, you suggest ignoring them?? He did what just about any 20ish year old with a pulse would do – he got frustrated and I don’t blame him. Only ones showing no class in that video were the fans…

31. showey47 says:

Good on thomas for giving price some good advice but i swear i heard on xm earlier this year that timmy did something similar when being booed at home. Sucked for price though,being booed and blamed for loses when your team is only scoring 1 goal per game. Patrick roy ruined the goaltending postition for everybody else after him in montreal,but i doubt even patrick in his prime would have won that series.

32. SlovakHab says:

Pacioretty is injured.

As for the Habs fans, that’s just the way we all are.. Need to add that our team actually went through 2 streaks – we won a few in a row after the Olypics and everyone got pretty optimistic. However, since the Ottawa game, we lost 3 out of 4 and instead of finishing in a safe 6th spot and play Buffalo in the 1st round, we might as well miss the playoffs if we don’t start winning again.. The fans are pretty bipolar, but so is the team we all suport. Need more consistency from them before we decide whether we throw them all under the bus or not :)

33. wotever says:

Sometimes the only classy move is to call out the guy being a dick.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

34. HUDSONHAB says:

With all this talk and debate about who is better, Price or Halak? Someone posted that the Hawks would run away with the cup if they had either. Or, Philly would really contend with Price.

This made wonder out loud just how would people rank the Habs defence as a whole in comparison to the rest of the league. The Hawks have a great crew, does Philly?

Where would you rank the Habs D? Top 5? Bottom 5? Where?

Hab4life

35. Mikey_39 says:

Hey, I’m a new member to Habs I/O, but have been reading posts for quite some time.  One thing I’ve noticed is how bipolar we are as Habs fans…After a win, everyone is planning the parade, expecting to cause an upset in the playoffs.  After a loss though, everyone starts throwing players under the bus, and complaining about how bad our team is.  It’s pretty funny.

Anyways, does anyone know what’s going on with Max Pacioretty? I’ve been checking the game logs of the Bulldogs, and I haven’t seen him on the roster for the longest time…

36. Say Ash says:

Classy would have been to ignore them.

37. HUDSONHAB says:

How many ” i “s in Jaroslav Halak? :)

Hab4life

38. Mrs.Price31 says:

Just asking… when they are practicing in Brossard, do you get a chance to see them one on one or like get an autograph from the players?

«La première chose qu’on m’a fait remarquer au repêchage de 2005, c’est que le travail le plus difficile au Canada, c’est premier ministre. Le deuxième, c’est gardien de but pour le Canadien de Montréal. C’est un journaliste qui m’avait dit ça.» - Carey Price

OK boys and girls, what did you people think about the first segment of the Don Cherry CBC movie last night.??

I thought it to be well done, as well as a realistic story of the times. Much different than what I thought it was going to be like.

I am not a large Cherry fan, but I am not going to miss the second half tonight.

40. KerryPrice says:

Don`t ya think the fans could show a lil class, instead of booin` him off the ice.I Don`t blame him at all for that. Ya`s sure love shittin` on this kid don`t ya`s. I bet if he was in your home city sighing autographs you`d be the 1st in line kissin his ass.

41. CBrady12 says:

jaro is class …price is not

42. VinAm10 says:

Given the situation in Philly, Flyers fans would gladly take Halak or Price.

Habs fans should not complain. BTW start Halak on Friday if you want to win.

43. CBrady12 says:

who wants a backup goalies autograph anyways?

44. twocents says:

Derek Boogaard has 7 goals in the past 11 years of hockey.

That includes 5 years in the NHL, 2 in the AHL, a half year in ECHL, and 3 and a half years of junior.

He hasn’t scored a goal in the NHL since his first season in the league, 5 seasons ago. That year he had 2, his only 2 NHL goals of his career.

45. KerryPrice says:

Carey is class personified. Go gettum Kid.. The next Ryan Miller. I just hope it`s in a Hab Jersey.

46. Johnny_D says:

Wow, there’s a well-thought out comment.

47. Johnny_D says:

Personally, I was glad he reacted like that.  The fans in the building that evening deserved a little reminder. In my opinion, the gutless fans chanting “Ca-rey … Ca-rey” have far less class.

48. Psycho29 says:

No, That was the Expo Caravan!

:-)

49. Psycho29 says:

Price dots his “i’s” wayyyyy better than Halak does!!!!

:-)

50. TomNickle says:

Not arguably, not even close.

Markov

Gomez

Plekanec

I’m also willing to put Spacek ahead of him in that department.

51. SeriousFan09 says:

I got nothing against people dodging the draft, avoiding conscription in to a BS war that got a lot of people killed for nothing is not something to really be ashamed of. I just take an issue with him being the prototypical turncoat fan who praises the team one week when they’re the upswing than uses his article to bring up every single complaint the malcontents who call the Team 990 share on a daily basis.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. ed lopaz says:

I take darche, moen, and moore all ahead of sergei.

sergei is arguably the best passer on the team.

53. SeriousFan09 says:

Knock over a water bottle off of each goalie’s table at the same time and see who catches it better, let the fans argue about Halak’s reflexes over Price’s positional play.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

54. wmarcello says:

Hahahahahahahaha! :D

55. Taipei 101 says:

Let’s see…60s draft dodger seeks refuge in Canada…then decides in his artsy 70s induced haze that he knows something about sports and hockey.  Living in Montreal through the great years does not make one a great hockey coach.  Otherwise, there would be 3 million Stanley Cup winning hockey coaches from this town.  I liked him better (rarely, at best) when he had the Montreal column.

Please do us all a favor and don’t mention his name here again.  I get nauseous when it’s mentioned…

Thanks,

TP101

“Music is the best.”
    - Frank Zappa

56. nunacanadien says:

Well it made a big difference, Jaro eventually became number 1.

57. nunacanadien says:

I don’t know, playing Price 4 up and down, thats a bully for sure.

58. ghabsg says:

Carey is the man!!! Stayed to sign for Everyone!!!

Hey REF! get off your knees and stop blowing the Play!

59. Taipei 101 says:

I say that not to cast aspersions, but to state how he came to be in the land of hockey.  His musings are wishy washy, to say the least, but again, he’s in the business of selling newspapers to keep himself employed.  I guess, if you want to look it at in another light, he’s no more or less inflammatory than some of the local French media pushing the envelope of poor taste on a weekly basis.

No one wins any war…we all lose.  I agree with you on that point.

“Music is the best.”
    - Frank Zappa

60. TomNickle says:

Actually, no.  Allan Walsh, Jaro Halak’s agent, tweeted that Jaro should be playing ahead of Price and that Jaro was going to request a trade if things didn’t change.

61. TomNickle says:

Sergei is a heck of a defensive player from our blueline out and battles more than any other forward that we have not named Moore.  He needs to get better in our end but other than that he’s been fantastic.

62. TomNickle says:

I did send resumes to those teams and got a couple of calls, not for the same position but I had to stay in my rural area for a few years for family reasons so I didn’t pursue that any further.

Currently a severance collecting former Sales manager.

Lou is a quality man for sure. Did you take his advice/ and did you get a position? Tom

64. TomNickle says:

I understand he’s American but there isn’t a better person for that end of the film.

65. TomNickle says:

I appreciate what you can take away from the program.  There will be a lot of backlash to the CBC for filming and airing it because of the man, and they could have made a better choice.  They’re honoring him because he is getting close to the end of the road.  A movie about New Jersey Lou could have been great.

I’ve got a great story about him by the way.  A while back I applied to be a Corporate Ticket Sales Manager for the Devils and didn’t get an interview call because they had local candidates just as qualified as I was for the position.  Instead I got a personal letter from Lou thanking me for my interest and encouraging me to send my resume to all of the Canadian AHL, ECHL and NHL teams.  That’s micromanagement.

66. twocents says:

Everyone overpays UFA’s when they switch teams. Looks at Hossa, 5.23 for 12 YEARS and he’s 31. He’ll likely only play 6 of those and so he’ll really be making something like 10 million a season.

I think Gionta is perhaps mildly overpaid. Cammalleri is market value. Mara and Moen are decent value. Gill is mildly overpaid. Spacek is market. Mathais Ohlund got the same money and he has 13 points. Or, Beauchemin, same money, basically same production.  It simply cost more to sign other team’s players. Ask Boston about Micheal Ryder.

67. nunacanadien says:

Geeze if that was the case, then PG and BG must be liars then!  Maybe come trade time we get the likes of Sidney Crosby, Martin LeCalvalier, Ovechkin, Brodeur all trying to break down the Bell Centre’s front doors then come trade time!  Heck why don’t we have the Sedin twins here then, or for that matter if Montreals’ so good how come the best we can atract are 16 goal a year superstars and one hotshot Cammy?  Ok Cammy came because we have the equivalent of hockey medicare here at the Habs….

68. ghabsg says:

You didnt have to pay anything….

Hey REF! get off your knees and stop blowing the Play!

69. Harani says:

I’ll be there! And how much do you think the autographs will cost?

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

70. ShangaDoo says:

Do you really need to pay to get an autograph?

71. sholi2000.com says:

For Carey Price at least 40.00

But you never know.

They call me Shane

72. nunacanadien says:

I bet Gainey forced some of the Habs to take part in the poll, we all know now what a big bully Bob Gainey really is….hahahaha…or so Todd would say….

73. twocents says:

30 teams X 23 players= 690 players. 690/50= 13.8%

Not a bad sample size for a poll.

While it represents only six polled players we can expect that polling the rest of the league would yield similar results. Depending on the attempt to get a fairly random sample.

And bottom line, those 6 are more than voted for New Jersey, Chicago, New York, Boston, LA, Anaheim, Vancouver, Toronto… you get my drift.

74. CBrady12 says:

6 players voted for montreal as the best franchise in the league….learn to read

75. ShangaDoo says:

Please don’t assume I do not know how to read. Sheesh. I just read it pretty quickly.

Even if, it still doesn’t mean anything.

76. ShangaDoo says:

I understand what you’re saying but I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal

77. twocents says:

None of this is that big of a deal.

I just find it interesting and thought I’d share it.

78. nickster13 says:

Cool, if anyone is going make sure you cheer the kid up!

79. badangel says:

well my roommate wants him to sign her bikini! :D

80. pmaraw says:

practice resumes?  are you look for another job?

this should help http://www.manager-tools.com/2005/10/your-resume-stinks

81. Alain T says:

She has to be wearing-it to cheer him up!!!

82. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I’m sure it wouldn’t be the first time.

83. JF says:

Our pattern of wins and losses since the Olympic break has shown that, contrary to what we like to believe, we’re unlikely to do much damage in the playoffs, if we get there.  We match up well against second-tier teams like Boston, the Rangers, Atlanta, etc. but cannot compete with the elite teams.  The only game we won against a playoff-bound team was the L game.   A tight-checking team like Jersey will stifle us, while a team like Pittsburgh simply has too much talent to give us any real hope of winning a series, although I think we’d take a couple of games off them.  I’m not sure how solid Washington’s goaltending and defense are, so we might have a bit of a chance there.  From the point of view of talent, we perhaps match up best with Buffalo; we played our best game of the week against them despite the loss.  But there’s Ryan Miller, who on most nights is very tough to beat.  And even more, there’s Lindy Ruff, who certainly outcoached Jacques Martin the other night.  I still want playoffs, but it’s hard to get excited about our chances of advancing beyond the first round.

84. Harani says:

I don’t know but most of these signings usually you have to pay anywhere between 15 and 30$. If so, then I am not going to waste my time, I can meet him at practice!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

85. ShangaDoo says:

Aww mann, I really did not think you would have to pay. I mean c’mon. Sheesh.

But you are so lucky. I would love to meet Carey Price

86. sholi2000.com says:

Still one of the most popular guys on the team.

In the hobby world he’s on almost every product and his rookies outsell every single goalie in the NHL.

The kids a seller.

He’s the Crosby of Goaltenders, can’t wait to see if someone sends him a ridiculous qualifying offer this summer, it could be bye bye Canadiens and we’re left trying to sign Jaro.  Which is fine, but not if you’re are Price fan.

They call me Shane

87. CBrady12 says:

….the crosby of goaltending??? get a clue

88. Dave Stubbs says:

To clarify on Price signing this evening: there is no charge for autographs. He’ll sign photos provided by the store, but fans are asked not to arrive with jerseys, sticks, etc., they hope to have signed for eBay sale. This is a friendly session aimed at satisfying as many of Price’s fans as possible.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

89. Say Ash says:

So PG won’t be in line with a contract?

90. Exit716 says:

I have a dandy bread recipe from Abe Hefter’s wife, will he sign that?

91. havok says:

Looking for a few reliable ball hockey players for this spring.

Looking for “Natural” goal scorers, guys who can put the ball in the net, but are also defensively responsible. I am looking for guys with an EXCELLENT attitude. The IDEAL situation, would be 3 buddies that already play together to insert themselves in the team. We are a pretty recent team, and it will be “blown” up.

This is not Gym or cosom hockey but in arenas etc.

Please feel free to contact me.

Bonjour, une équipe de Hockey Balle recherche des joueurs pour compléter ce printemps.

Nous recherchons de « scorers » naturel que peuvent mettre la balle dans le filet a base régulière, mais reviennent en défense aussi.

Ils doivent avoir un attitude excellente!

Idéalement, on aimerait trouver des joueurs qui jouent déjà ensemble sur la meme ligne.

Notre équipe a connus beaucoup de difficulté et nous recommençons a neuf, une équipe très différent.

Ceci est jouer dans les aréna pas dans les gyms

92. twocents says:

In an anonomous poll at tsn.ca the PLAYERS voted Montreal as the 3rd best franchise in the NHL way behind Detroit in 1st and just slightly behind Pittsburgh in 3rd. The Habs are well ahead of the remaining franchises in players minds.

That’s players folks. Not fans or media. Players. As in those who become free agents in the summertime. Those who just a few years ago seemed reluctant to come to Montreal.

So Gainey didn’t really build this franchise up in the time he was here… naaaa.

Yeah right! Try that poll in 2002 and the results would have been far different I figure.

Let’s hope Gauthier doesn’t squander what Gainey has built.

93. ShangaDoo says:

Yes, but that’s only 6 out of the 50 players polled who voted Montreal as the 3rd best franchise.

Doesn’t mean a whole lot.

94. notbigbird says:

Too bad we have to overpay to get any FA’s to consider coming here.

95. sholi2000.com says:

Ah kids these days, my reply was completely about business.

Hockey Business 101 and you failed kid.  But you’re used to failing aren’t you?

They call me Shane