Practice cancelled today

The latest in casual wear for the fashion-conscious Canadiens fan.

• CKAC reports Brent Sopel has a broken arm, which means he’ll remain undefeated as a Montreal Canadien for a while. Sopel tweeted very early this morning that he was on his way to the White House, where the former Chicago Blackhawk would join his Stanley Cup-winning teammates of last season to meet President Barack Obama at 3 pm this afternoon.

HIO’s Dave Stubbs was interviewed this morning about Pacioretty-Chara on Dan Patrick’s widely syndicated U.S. radio sports show.

And in non-hockey news …

JhJzdtzl6KY

1. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Seriously? Amid all that has happened? What exactly has happened that disallows discussion on race but allows frivolous debate on the size of Gomez’s savings account or why Martin doesn’t smile and frown like the rest of us or why we sit here and discuss hockey at all. The way I see it there are thousands of things much more worthy of debate than anything thats even been mentioned on this site, but yknow, we do it anyway.

I guess off-side and i should be weeping prayers in some church somewhere for Pacioretty’s recovery?

For the record, I do hope he gets well soon, but acting as tho this site should be some 24 hour vigil is ridiculous.

2. Psycho29 says:

I didn’t know French Canadian was a race….

This is all so unimportant….

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Bruins haven’t defended themselves though and they have all the tools. Tough guys and bullies, a bully coach and Campbell’s kid to buy them protection from daddy dearest. I find it hard to believe if Boston really wanted this guy, they couldn’t nail him. If they wanted him, they could get him. No one is that slippery if a team like BOS really wants to pound him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

4. shootdapuck says:

Amid all that has happened is this worth discussion?

Come on!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office. Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

5. observer says:

ALL  of them(both sides) making more money than any in the sport made before ————  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/11/smith-to-players-plan-is-to-decertify/

Because Matt Cooke as much as he is dirty is also smart. He skates with a spidey sense, and with his head up. He is also a predator.

This goes to my point about having him suspended for his hits.

And it’s not about the injuries. They will happen. It’s about the Habs being unable to defend themselves when push comes to shove. We turtle and it’s disgraceful.

7. fbkj says:

again, not commenting

I don’t know if i am way behind posting this, but in today’s Globe, Chara is now saying he didn’t even know it was Paccioretty that he hit!  I mean come on, he is really full of Sh*t now.  Does this not verify the fact he has been lying all along!

9. avatar_58 says:

and what? Hope all draft picks are Chara sized? Pacioretty was 6’2 200+lbs…..that’s not big enough? What, he needs 7′ defenders on both sides of the ice?

Newsflash – the best players of all draftss are usually 5”11 and shorter. Very rarely do you get that amazing HUGE player that has strength and skill to pop 50 goals a season. So how long should the habs tank for? 3 years? 5 years? Yeah, that’ll happen.

If a conviction is handed down, I want to see the NHL charged, not Chara.

11. shiram says:

Well that’s fine, but as I said, it feels to me like someone is trying to milk the situation.

I don’t have any issues with anyone wanting to buy those tshirts, I just would not buy or wear one myself.

12. fbkj says:

grats stubbs patrick is the man…

13. shiram says:

I can understand how you feel, I am definately frustrated at the league, but even then I cannot change the roster on the Habs.

I think we have some great element in our team right now, and that with our young players we can move forward and improve, if we can add some grit and toughness in there as well, thats good, but not at the cost of our team identity. If we we’re not missing a good number of keys players I think we could still go a long way in the playoffs.

Hopefully what happens on the 24th is hockey, and not a travesty of violence.

I will not change my opinion though, I don’t want to see the team I love resort to what the Bruins are doing, and not just the on-ice violence, but also the insults and tirades.

The team I love is about skill and strategy, and thats what I like to see in hockey.

14. VancouverHab says:

Gomez is 5′ 11” — not ‘small’…

15. Mattyleg says:

I guess Death likes to keep a clean apartment.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. jbroderi says:

I am also in agreement. To mot have an external appeal rpocess available, both to victim and the guilty party, is not only negligent, but foolish and completely unacceptable in any other sports league or business in general.  There is too much power put in the hands of one or two men, and even if their intentions were good (i won’t state my opnions on that, good sirs and madames) they still can make mistakes.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

17. ed lopaz says:

you are absolutely correct. 100 Habs.

If the NHL would have taken about 2 days longer to render their decision, they would have never been able to let Chara walk.

and that is why they ruled so quickly.

I had heard that the Habs WERE APPEALING – but maybe I heard wrong.

facts:

every pro hockey player knows where he is on the ice at all times

every pro hockey player knows who the opposition has on the ice at all times

every Pro hockey player knows that the bench area is extremely dangerous and caution should be taken

everything else that Chara is saying is suspicious because he has been lying about the facts.

Habs hockey is “smart” hockey – we play 5 man defence, not just 2 – es.we move up the ice as a 5 man unit, we back check with 5.

18. TheDagger says:

HAHAHA Full marks on that one.

19. G-Man says:

No. You are not allowed to go around breaking people’s necks is the point. So, yes, it is highly relevant. Don’t be as obtuse as the NHL and Mike Murphy.

20. ed lopaz says:

Bettman has the support of the U.S teams for sure – for many reasons – and his support stretches into Canada as well.

I personally have no respect left for Bettman. But that is my personal view.

THE VILOENCE IS WHAT THE AMERICANS (and many Canadians) WANT TO SEE!!!

As crazy as it seems, Ian, it is a fact.

Americans are a viloent people who pay to be entertained by violent acts.

Thats why fighting is still in the game.

Thats why Chara’s hit was called a “hockey play”.

That’s why the league is afraid to change the head hitting rule.

Its all about violence.

Its MMA, or stock car racing crashes, or keeping a gun in your home, or going to war.

Its a society built on a tradition of vilence, war and slavery, and it has not changed very much since I was

a young boy in the ’60’s.

Bettman understands this culture.

When the Boston announcer screamed into the microphone “here we go” – when Chara was pushed by Max after the OT goal,

that announcer was speaking on behalf of hundreds of thousands of American (and Canadian) fans.

Bettman’s business model is built around this violence.

Violence sells tickets and TV advertising.

Who attends the games in NY, Boston, Philly, etc???

Its a certain demographic, a certian type of individual,to whom advertisers love to sell their product

NHL hockey is NOT SMART HOCKEY.

Habs hockey is “smart” hockey

21. wd40 says:

it just makes me crazy when i think about the conflict of interest and potential for corruption with this setup. it makes me crazy i tell ya.

Does it matter? The Bruins still are tougher and meaner than the Habs. They lost Savard but have filled that gap and still lead the division. The Habs have gotten thinner. How many call-ups do the Habs have in the line-up?

I am saying put a team that doesn’t allow itself to get abused. Forget the retribution. As I said injuries will happen. I am asking that the Habs put themselves in a position where retribution is not needed.

The Bruins would not take these liberties nor the Flyers if the Habs had more size and grit and less Desharnais’, Giontas and Cammalleris. Add to that Plex and Gomez, Spacek and Hamrlik and you see the trend. Small players or players who are not known for their toughness.

In the end the Habs have a reputation for being small and dirty and whiners who can’t take a clean hit.

Not the team I am enjoying being a fan of.

All eyes will be on the game on the 24th. What I don’t want to see is the Habs win the game only to lose Price or Subban. Don’t tell me the Bruins wont go after our stars.

23. shiram says:

I don’t think our team and it’s players are wimps. Do you think Desharnais is a wimp just because he is small?

Physicality is part of the game, and that’s fine, but there is a line where it degenerates into plain violence. The Bruins seems to cross that line frequently, and if the League was more self-aware it would be adressed. Hopefully it can be solved by the GM’s.Players also need to show each other more respect.

Pouliot fought Krejci, and what has that given us? Lucic now has a bone to pick with Pouliot, and maybe another rivalry will start between 2 players. Will one of them get injured, maybe.

I would like to have some solid gritty players on our teams, just dont want to see our Habs use such tactics as the Bruins and Flyers.