Practice cancelled today

The latest in casual wear for the fashion-conscious Canadiens fan.

• CKAC reports Brent Sopel has a broken arm, which means he’ll remain undefeated as a Montreal Canadien for a while. Sopel tweeted very early this morning that he was on his way to the White House, where the former Chicago Blackhawk would join his Stanley Cup-winning teammates of last season to meet President Barack Obama at 3 pm this afternoon.

HIO’s Dave Stubbs was interviewed this morning about Pacioretty-Chara on Dan Patrick’s widely syndicated U.S. radio sports show.

And in non-hockey news …

JhJzdtzl6KY

1. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m well aware our stars have targets on their backs. Boychuk went for Subban’s knees on Tuesday night only for White to unleash the most furious fight I’ve seen from a Habs player since Ryan O’Byrne laid into Patrick Kaleta in the 2009-10 pre-season. Nothing will change, people want a piece of Subban out there and I’m worried every game with the Habs right now.

Teams will always take liberties depending upon the kind of night they’re having and beating another team badly always has them looking to get in the extra hits for some measure of revenge or if there’s an intense rivalry. I never denied MTL needs to get bigger but I’m not sold ‘bigger and badder’ means your guys are safe. Maybe you win more staged fights and deliver more highlight-reel checks but the stars still wear targets on their backs and nothing seems to make people relent from trying to destroy a player they’ve lined up nowadays.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

That’s hockey. Always has been. The fact is with more grit asd size the damage is lessened. Part of winning is being lucky enough to not have too many players injured. As ed lopaz astutely points out the USA is society founded on violence. You should watch the new Spartacus series. The Romans knew that blood and guts sold tickets. So does the Starz network.

But I also agree that Habs hockey is smart hockey. That is what made the Habs champions all those years. But it’s also tough hockey. We need more toughness and IMO a few of the smurfs have to sacrificed, and not on Bruin’s ice, by way of trades.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve taken flak before for suggesting DD is not a long-term Hab regardless of his success. I know he has to leave essentially so the Habs can put more size into the lineup. I’ve been haraunged for saying I don’t see any real answers coming from bringing 5’9″ Nigel Dawes in to the lineup. I know we need more 6′ + guys in the lineup and while I plug Brendan Gallagher, I envision him on RW with Lars Eller at centre and Pacioretty on LW. Or Nicklas Jensen if we can draft him. You know me HH, always the futurist and I have faith the farm has the answers many are after.

Seen the series btw, not bad.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

4. HotHabs says:

it would be interesting to see a W5 investigative news team or other respected crew look into all of this NHL stupidity and its commander in chief – a one-on-one with Bettman and a hard-nosed interviewer.  I’m already salivating…

5. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Stubbs is Jamaican, mon!

6. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Wow, we truly have some bad mojo. Could we get that little gnome-like woman from Poltergeist to come and “purify” our franchise?

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

7. Rudy says:

I want someone to create one of those shirts, they could make a fortune.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

let’s face it… this season wasn’t all that promising to begin with. What’s one more hurt dman? Whatever, at this point.

9. nick says:

Ah his tweet from this morning makes a little more sense…
    “Just got up to head to Washington and visit the White House. Pretty excited should be a good time…”

10. HabFanSince72 says:

I note the Charlie Pierce reference below. I’m guessing Mr Boone is as big a “Wait Wait” fan as I am.

11. Sportfan says:

WHere is that building and why is it shaking???!

also seriously how long will sopes be out now 🙁

12. rocketsglare says:

What’s with all these broken bones?

13. Julie H says:

The shirt is real. The website was launched this morning.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

14. shiram says:

Japan was hit with a massice earthquake this morning.

15. MocaJoe says:

Brooks Laich is an UFA in July. How much is he worth 4-4.5 mill?? We should have enough for that.

16. jennifer1984 says:

my sister makes some pretty rad shirts. all you need is a good printer and some iron on transfer paper. oh and a creative mind!

we couldnt find the right shirt for my new nephew at christmas (parents are leafs fans) so we made him one.

17. Sportfan says:

yeah i just realized what the video was from that nuts prayers go out to japan thats for sure

18. shiram says:

While I admire that they say some of the money will go to a good cause, I can’t really get behind this.

It just seems to me like someone is trying to milk the situation.

19. thebigguy says:

What’s up with Darche? I kind of forgot about his existence for a little while. Is he coming back any time soon?

So our top 6 now is Subban Gill,  Wiz – Harmlik, Picard – Weber and Henry or Nash as our 7th defenceman? Awesome.

20. shiram says:

It was apparently from a blocked shot. No official word yet though.

21. habs63 says:

If I was a Habs defensmen, I would fake an injury for the rest of the year. Habs de are cursed this year. I wonder who slashed his arm.

22. Jonson says:

So Bettman got a 5 year extension last year…….. to be honest, i think he is just a puppet. He must be,i mean the NHL needs a classless weasle to handle the press concerning all the negativity. Its like the USA, you really think OBama is running that country? i dont think so , its the same in the NHL. its the only reason he would get an extension.

Does anyboday have the man games lost to injury stat for us this year?  We have to be near the top of the heap.  Pittsburgh must be somewhere up there too.  Unbelievable….Maybe Henry will be up here for the Bruins in the playoffs afterall.

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Boy oh boy. Being a Canadiens fan can sure hurt sometimes. We’ve had to endure a lot over the years with injuries and other strange events.

There’s Koivu getting injured while leading the NHL in scoring years back and then being diagnosed with cancer years later.

There’s the Zednik injury during the playoffs against BOSTON!

There’s Markov being knocked out for the season two years in and row.

Pacioretty being deliberately injured at a time when the Canadiens were on a huge winning streak and looking like a team to be reckoned with.

Plus a countless amount of other injuries and controversy.

Worst of all might have been Mario Tremblay forcing Patrick Roy to demand a trade!

We certainly have our moments!

Why doesn’t that stuff every happen to the Red Wings lol?

25. mbplekfan says:

You forgot Mara

26. Captain aHab says:

Well, that is one more reason why Patches shouldn’t even try to come back this year. He’d probably just get another injury anyway. What are they going to do now? Rush Spacek and get him hurt again or bring someone else from the farm? At this stage, I’m just glad the trade deadline has come and gone because you know another trade would be made and that guy would likely end up injured anyway.

27. mrhabby says:

sopes..has a broken arm. iam shaking my head. for christ sake hockey gods we have had enough. give it up damn it.

I don’t really see what we have to worry about as Habs fans. We’ll make the play-offs by the slimmest of margins now. End up with a useless draft pick. I am sure in a few years the Habs will trade away a few more up and comers for a rebuild project that makes our team the smallest and most vulnerable in the league to injuries once again.

Couple that with 16 games against the Flyers, Bruins and Leafs who are building teams stocked with bigger players who have an inbred hatred of the Habs. Marry that to a corrupt league that stacks the cards in favour of American teams and it’s a recipe for more of the same over and over again.

I want to see the team that took the 1976 Cup again.

It’s tank time people. I hope over the summer the Habs trade away Gio, DD and Cammy, send Gomez to the minors or waive him and start from scratch proper.

The Pacioretty injury is on Bob Gainey’s head because he was too naive to think the league would actually enforce their rules or live up to the spirit of their intentions.

The NHL is corrupt. There is collusion and glaring conflicts of interest involved. And it’s not going to change.

People want to know why I supported tanking. What do you think? Anyways, it’s back on the agenda. There can never be a championship team in the NHL built with half the forwards being under 6 feet tall.

People say the Red Wings this and the Red Wings that.

They have 4 players under 6 feet and 3 of 4 are elite. The rest are big and tough and that is why they never get run like the Habs do.

I blame Gainey because he built this team and the end result is a player almost died and there was no response. If this happened in 1976 Chara would have either gotten the crap beaten out of him or he would have left the arena on a stretcher too.

There are two choices. Eye for an eye, or turn the other cheek. Last I remember in Roman days the Christians made excellent lion food. March 24th on the menu will be roast habitant fed to the bears.

We need gladiators not prayers. This is hockey. I love all our smurfs but I wouldn’t want to see a team in today’s NHL with more than one of them on it, regardless of their heart and skill.

Bob Gainey is one of the people I respect most in the world but he screwed the pooch on this one.

Back when Gainey traded for Gomez, that wasn’t the move which raised my eye-brow, it was signing both Cammy and Gionta that sent off alarm bells.

We cannot plan a parade with this line-up. I favour another demolition and a true rebuild, with NHLers not peewees.

29. fbkj says:

wont comment on your opinion of saying french canadian but i too was wondering why stubbs was pronouncing it mawntreal and not muntreal

30. Jocko says:

Here is the link to the TSN story:

each time I see Bettman, I am floored by how blunt he is and how his comments are just plain dumb for a guy in that position.  I mean, his comments towards Air Canada were fueled by his temper.  He was basically telling them to shove it.  If I am a CEO of any other sponser of the NHL, I am thinking I had better never comment on the state of the game, or this little Napoleon may say shove it to me.

He is classless.  To keep this guy as the face of hockey is stupid, and at 7.2 mil per year to boot.  Guess we have to suck it up this guy is around for another five years!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

31. Off-side says:

Mr. Stubbs,

I listened to your interview with Dan Patrick.  Apart from everything, I find it insulting that you would narrow your comment about the police intervention to the mention that it originated from a “French Canadian media base”.  Why not simply say “a media source?”.  As an anglo, I find your comment stinks with racism.  Shame on you for saying this.  Secondly, since when did you start pronouncing our city the American way?

Even more sick to my stomach now.

32. Rudy says:

Why? The money doesn’t go to the NHL and I will wear it proudly when Boston plays the Caps the next game.(hopefully in the first round, but doubtful)

33. jew4jah says:

$25 each at http://www.charasucks.com (they claim a portion of teh funds will go to the MGH in the name of maxpac

chara = חרה

It is mindboggling how childish and petulant this guy can be.  If i am the CEO of other sponsors, i also wonder why i sponsor in a league where the Boss could give a rats ass about his sponsors.

35. G-Man says:

The reason the Quebec Justice minister launched the investigation is precisely because the NHL is not “policing it’s own sport.” Pacioretty could have been killed because Chara was pissed at him. The NHL abdicated its responsibility, so someone has to step in and force the issue. All the blind people who have watched the hit and said Chara did not do it purposefully miss the point. The fact is that he did it. He broke Pac’s neck and concussed him and the Boston-centric NHL discipline boy Murphy saw nothing wrong. This is unacceptable. If the NHL wants legislation from without, they will get it with their criminally negligent attitude.

What’s that now, 20 concussions thus far this season or more? How can the NHL not get it?

36. observer says:

Just some of Gary Bettman’s gambling connections- Tocchet the bookmaker, referee in chief Van Hellemond the compulsive gambler, Boots del Baggio, World Series of Poker commissioner his half-brother same mother Jeffrey Pollack and so on.——– Delaware North began as Jacob Brothers in 1915 and was founded by three Jacobs brothers. The current operating name for the holding company was first used in 1980. Today, the company remains family-owned and operated by Jeremy Jacobs who also owns the Boston Bruins and the arena in which the team plays

1939 – The Jacobs brothers expand their business by acquiring a racetrack, marking the beginning of Delaware North Companies Gaming & Entertainment, Delaware North’s largest operating company

Late 1990s – Delaware North begins on a path toward becoming the largest racino operator in North America by adding gaming to some of its racetrack properties

2008/2009 – Won a contract to operate a 4,500 slot machine racino at Aqueduct Racetrack in Queens, New York. It lost the contract in 2009 when it could not make a $370 million upfront payment to the state of New York

37. Off-side says:

There’s no need to mention “French-Canadian”.  By doing this, the implication is it’s “them” and not “us”.

As far as “Mawntreal” goes, I guess he’s trying really hard to identify with the Americans.

38. SPATS says:

I’ll keep posting this, from another angle, CLEAR intent to injure at 1:24 of this clip

Murphy could not have seen this angle, and if he did, shame on him.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Why is Matt Cooke still playing HH? Shouldn’t Lucic and Chara have annihiliated him by now for what he did? They didn’t. Boston loaded with enforcers and they haven’t targeted Cooke each game they’ve played with PIT like he’s a marked man.

The person responsible for Pacioretty’s injury was no one other than Chara. Gainey couldn’t have chosen better than a 6’2″ power forward with guts and is seemingly indestructible. Pacioretty was made a target by someone I don’t think anyone in the NHL could really take on in a fight, Chara is simply too big to be challenged really.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

40. wd40 says:

the guy is a human bobble-head doll

41. Hobie Hansen says:

My Friend is Russian and he says Montreal with a Russian accent, is that OK or should he be deported?

42. observer says:

who moved the bench to the other side and put a turnbuckle between them? none other than bettman who probably was paid thousands himself to award contracts to put the them up in ALL 30 arenas.

Unfortunately, our wonderful NHL doesn’t have a great reputation for alot of our Past Commisioners and quite a few our team owners and a certain Union Leader named Eagleson.  Problem is it is now 2011 and you would think the corruption would be gone!!

Deport the perpetrator.

45. kakey says:

At 00:04 is the sound of death hoovering above.

46. observer says:

Mr. Stubbs,

funny but im not french nor are all those team 990 announcers but see it the same way. what angers me is the wimpy canadian politically correct media who wont ever investigate bettman and what he has done to this game especially in 2nd class canada. today brunt says “quietly bettman received a 5 year extention”. so why doesnt the media find out who exactly voted him this new deal? ALL 30 teams or JUST his board of directors that he has STACKED?

47. JF says:

Darche is rehabbing a groin injury.  He was reported to be skating the other day, so should be back soon.

48. Off-side says:

You’re missing the point.

you are. old news. He is full of that brown stuff though…

Just prepare the slaughter. You know it’s going to happen.

Why is it always the Habs? Because the team is over all smaller. We have forwards incapable of defending themselves against the Flyers, Bruins and Leafs. It’s going to be more of the same. Just listen to Jack Edwards call the game. He lusts for violence. He endorses it. It’s not going to end.

Gomez should have two handed Chara at that moment. I am tired of this sh*t. There’s nothing we could do. They are too big.

Well you know what? Fold the team then because this is the big leagues and we’re little leaguers.

I would gladly have Brian Burke as GM right now. There’s no excuse. The league has shown they have no intention of dealing with illegal hits that cause concussions or injuries.

If a ruling comes in that any hit that is interference, boarding, a slash, knee on knee, elbow, hit to the head, any contact that is illegal, as the Chara hit clearly was, and is reckless, as the Chara hit clearly was, that causes injury, if these conditions are met with an immediate suspension then I will change heart. Until then stop the smurf experiment. It failed.

We need to get tougher, bigger, meaner, dirtier if need be. Otherwise warm the beds in the infirmary.

51. Mad Habber says:

No Bettman reminds me more of those troll dolls with the long hair..

52. Hobie Hansen says:

Ahh, finally somebody who’s making sense!

It is definitely a bit much to have Plekanec, Gionta, Gomez and Cammalleri making up the majority of your top six! It’s suicide!

One or two of them is great but we’re simply over powered. Anyone with half a brain in their head can see that!

Make some damn changers before next season. We’re not talking goons here, although a couple nasty forth line players would be appreciated.

Get some bigger bodies on the top six, get a tough stay at home defenseman or two and get some real checkers and grinders for the bottom lines.

How long does it take for management to see that we’re getting smacked around and injured by bigger teams every year!!!

They way the Bruins play is a joke and the real way a team should be constructed is somewhere between us and them…

Tuesday 15th they are planning an NHL decision protest outside the Bell Center, before the Washington Habs game.

Here is a clip from the last serious NHL protest held in Montreal. Check this link out.

Will Bettman show up ??

I’d like to know who voted as well and if there were any “nays”.

55. Hobie Hansen says:

How original…

56. observer says:

jacobs delaware park racetrack last year or the year before had got the state of delaware to allow legal sports betting at their track. which in other words flat out bookmaking of all pro and college sports – they were stopped days before the nfl season was to start by the supreme court.

57. joshua94k says:

If it were not for Cammalleri’s goals in the play-offs last year we would not have made the Conference finals.

If not for Gill, Gorges, Hamrlik, Subban, etc blocking shots and keeping Crosby and Ovechkin off the scoresheet, we would not have made the Conference finals.

Scott Gomez had 14 points in the play-offs last season and played a strong 2-way game.

If it weren’t for Bob Gainey, we would be like the Toronto Maple Leafs, a team in confusion.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

I repeat, who ‘served justice’ to Randy Jones when he hit Patrice Bergeron and Matt Cooke when he hit Marc Savard? NOBODY. The Bruins, the Big Bad Bruins haven’t done a bloody thing, figuratively and literally. Their top players were targeted and they didn’t let anyone know they wouldn’t stand for this, they stood around impotently.

Penguins lead the league in fighting majors, they’ve still lost a few guys to injuries, targeted hits or accidental collisions on players of all sizes. I still say Grabovski suffered a concussion when Chara slammed him into the boards a few weeks ago. The TrculuLeafs didn’t stop him from doing anything to their guy.

The Habs need more size (and that will come as their drafting in the last couple seasons indicates and undrafted player signings)  but ATM there isn’t a thing in this world that can intimidate Chara from not doing what he wants, when he wants by any player.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Every team knows what it needs to do to beat the Habs. Impose themselves physically on them. Forget the injuries. I blame the league for not having the courage to actually impose punitive measures for the types of hits I am mentioning.

There should have been a slew of suspensions handed out this year but the league did nothing.

Injuries will happen. I don’t want to see the Habs get mauled again. Were you even born in 1976 RR? No Habs team in the 80’s would have stood for this.

Imagine how the game would change if players like Claude Lemieux, Ovechkin, Chara, Chelios and the list goes on got suspended for numerous games for their infractions.

Fighting would diminish and so would the goonery.

I am only blaming BG for naivete. The NHL is the true culprit.

60. shiram says:

You say you “love all our smurfs”, but isnt that insulting and derogatory? And as much as it was painful to watch what happened to Max, I don’t want the Habs to be doling out those kind of injuries.

What you are talking about is basically escalation, and from that it can only get worst. The issue is not with our team, but with the league, and the players, and the troubling thing is none of those are showing the players respect.

61. 100HABS says:

Dan Patrick is clearly not a full-time hockey fan. Chara, a Norris winner, can DEFINITELY time his hit to put Max in the stanchion. He most certainly did IMO.

The best and most relevant comment I’ve read so far is Sedin saying Chara lied about not knowing it was Max and not knowing where he was on the ice.

There should be an appeal process for teams when the league doesn’t do their job. Ex-players and coaches are the jury.

62. Hobie Hansen says:

Gill, Gorges, Hamrlik and Subban are not small…

Yes Cammalleri scorred some huge goals and I love him for it!

Gainey and Gautheir are doing a good job except finding players with a bit more size and grit.

63. observer says:

just out on dvd or on  torrent on the web now. won academy documentary award. big business which is what the nhl under bettman is. why enron’s ceo died in jaIL, ETC. WATCH THIS MOVIE PRODUCED BY OWNER OF PHILADELPHIA EAGLES AND HIS WIFE —

64. “Inside Job” Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
  • SeriousFan09 says:

I am asking a question no one feels like answering. Why is Matt Cooke still in the NHL if the Big Bad Bruins are so scary? Why haven’t they hit this guy 10 times a game they face him and made him retire because he can’t get through a PIT-BOS game without feeling like a truck hit him and backed over him?

He did what he did, he walked away and Big Bad Boston did nothing. Get back to me when you have an answer to that.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• G-Man says:

Actually, I would like to see both charged. If you cannot replicate what Chara did on the street without being charged, why does playing a sport exempt him?

• HardHabits says:

And how far do we go? It’s a two edge sword. How many series have the Habs won against the Flyers?

I guess we can resign ourselves to beating the Bruins and have our little we won a series riot every few years.

The team as it stands cannot endure the grind of 4 rounds in the NHL. As it stands the Habs a cannon fodder for the Bruins.

What do you think will happen on the 24? I am thinking Body Count.

• shiram says:

The Bruins physicality have not had much success in winning games against us in recent times.

• 100HABS says:

I’d like to know why he was so quick to move Québec and Winnipeg teams out and it seems so impossible to move a money-losing out of Pheonix. Half his job is dedicated to keeping the Coyotes in a losing market while Canada is begging for teams.

How much effort did he put into keeping the Québec and Winnipeg teams where they were?

• SeriousFan09 says:

Born in ’84, draft year of the incomparable Mario Lemieux who spoke out against this as a player and now as an owner. Also the year of  Muller, Hull, Roy,  Robitaille and a host of other fine players.

I know the book is out on the Habs about how to best defeat them, physically impose themselves on the team but my argument stands. The Habs do need to get bigger, I’ve never argued against that but I don’t think we’re going to see a real change of what happpens to a guy like Max even if we are. Pacioretty would still have been in that position if Ryan Clowe was on the other wing and Getzlaf was his C. Chara would have still been able to grab the first guy to go at him and ragdoll him.

League has to change and I think the Habs need to get bigger but we should not kid ourselves that ‘getting bigger’ will protect us. Didn’t protect Marc Savard. Didn’t protect Sidney Crosby. Didn’t protect David Perron. Malkin’s 6’3″ and his knee gave out just as well, MCL/ACL gone.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Off-side says:

I guess if we focus on the earthquake for a moment, we could say the same thing about the Chara thing.

You bet it is worth mentionning!  There was no need to throw the French media under the train, and that’s precisely what he did!

• Malreg says:

You’re not allowed to go around bodychecking people in the streets either, so that’s hardly relevant.

• wd40 says:

agree with everything you said. 100%

• observer says:

Not only did he move them BUT then immediately instituted a new rule that for any future purchase of a team that team could not be moved for the NEXT SEVEN YEARS. Last 2 years we saw how he blocked Balsillie who offered double what they ended up getting for 2 different franchises. The man is a thief – the Canadian media is silent.

• wd40 says:

Chara might be a jackass, but he’s not stupid… they controlled the situation from the start (just heard the media post- game was allowed to ask him 3 questions).  furthermore, with pending “legal action” (not sure how serious we should take this), I’m sure he’s being coached as well.

• HardHabits says:

It’s true I do not want to see the Habs become the Bruins or the Flyers. The Habs teams that beat those clubs did it with physicality and skill. We lack the physicality and until we mesh that with skill we will suffer the consequences. Hockey is a physical game. You can’t win without physicality.

I don’t want to escalate. I just don’t want to see other teams impose themselves on us anymore. We are getting our asses handed to us. We can win games but Flyers and Bruins are dirty and will cause injuries as they are not gracious in defeat.

The team is not built for an NHL championship and that is the point. They are however built to get abused and that will continue.

The Habs were dominating the Bruins and what was their response. They tried to run Subban, they managed to severely injure Pacioretty and when the game was over Lucic still tried to goad Pouliot. They are classless goons and they have to be met with ferocity not wimpishness.

The Habs are wimpy. You can only cry wolf so often.