“Practice”: Almost had a story here

So a casual inventory of the water bottle lineup on the Habs’ Brossard bench seemed to include the number 76 on a bottle. That would be P.K. Subban’s number.

But closer inspection – ace TSN cameraman Paul Romano trained his lens on it from the second storey of the rink – the bottle was labelled PG, for goaltending coach Pierre Groulx.

Groulx is taking shots at this hour from Mathieu Darche and Ben Maxwell. But they’re headed off now to join the rest of the team in an 11:15 meeting before they all fly to Washington for Friday’s Game 5, trailing the Washington Capitals 3-1.

Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek, who missed Game 4 with a relapse of a recent virus, took a brief spin on the ice but left early.

1. Storm Man says:

The NFL draft is on tonight….. I wonder if the Steelers draft a QB now?

2. HabsFanInTampa says:

Yes I do want to be like a Tampa Bay Lightning team that wins a Stanley Cup, sucks for 5 or 6 years, gets #1 draft picks because they suck, and then have a legitimate chance of winning another Stanley Cup. That’s how the present Penguins did it. We last won the Stanley Cup in 1993. We have been mediocre ever since and looks like we’re going to continue being mediocre. I don’t know what point your making, but winning the Stanley Cup is what it’s all about. Finishing 8th seed and getting eliminated in the first round every year is what really sucks.

3. JF says:

It’s good to read something positive after last night, and I agree with your feeling about the team.  They gave it everything they had and came very close to being good enough.  If you look at last night’s game, two minutes cost us a chance to win it – the last minute of the second period and the minute after the Caps’ third goal.  For the first two periods I think we were the better team, but we just don’t have enough depth that mistakes won’t cost us.

I like your personnel suggestions.  I never wade into the goaltender controversy, but I’m really wondering what management will do.  Price may never fullfil his promise or fullfil it only if he leaves Montreal, and Halak has not demonstrated that he can handle the pressure of big games; if anything, he’s demonstrated the opposite, although I guess it’s not conclusive.  But whichever one we keep will need a veteran to mentor him.  I really like the idea of Hedberg, who is supposed to be a great team player.

Despite the loss, I feel proud of our team right now.  In the face of overwhelming odds, they showed a lot of heart just to make it to the playoffs.  And they showed they can contend against the best team in the conference, if not the league.  With a few changes over the summer, I think we can have a better team next year.

4. JF says:

5. homerbowen says:

It appears that the bigger team just wore down our small players as the shots indicate. We come out with our little legs “a pumpin” then after a couple of periods of pounding we shrink even further. We must move these highly paid smurfs or face further embarassment in the NHL. There isn’t a hockey analyst (real one) who thinks we have a chance in hell with our small team. The experiment failed and every effort should be made to correct this over the summer.

6. mike g says:

lol, YEA i KNOW…

I got bashed too many times though with that Pic..something about Alec that people don’t like. But what a face it was..

Anyways, my next pic’s gonna be good. Randy or Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

7. Storm Man says:

If I was I would tell you. I was wanting to know what your opinions are on the bigger matters with this team as I like what you said in your last post.

8. shootdapuck says:

Or far below the lofty heights of the Yappierre pedestal!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

9. habs03 says:

Are you mocking me? I was just given my opinion..

10. Storm Man says:

And french ;)

11. Storm Man says:

I like your thinking on that matter, I would like to know who you would have as the the President of the team, GM and coach to see this team move forward.

12. habs03 says:

Very true, Gionta is a good example too. I kno a lot of people are down on this team, but I think we need some retooling in the offseason and with the right moves we should be battling for 4-5 seeds in the east next year not 8-9. P.S. you gotta put back the Alec Baldwin pic, he’s the best!

13. mike g says:

None will be signed to an offer sheet. The price you have to pay in draft picks is just rediculous and not worth it…

But they will both sign with MTL, and then one will be traded shortly after….That’s what will most likely happen. Sign and trade….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

14. Bugs says:

Biron would be perfecter.

And cheaperer.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/