Power outage changes practice plans

The lights went out at the Canadiens practice facility in Brossard this morning, forcing coach Jacques Martin to revise his plans. The players skated for about 15 minutes with the emergency lights and then headed for the gym. The lights did come on as the players were getting out of their uniforms but Martin decided to stick with the gym regimen.

1. LA Loyalist says:

When the problem is the same, it’s hard to keep the comments fresh.

‘e pluribus funk’

2. Say Ash says:

Fear not! I have found a motivational speaker for our powerplay unit:

3. LA Loyalist says:

All praise to Carbonneau he was a great player for us.

4. LA Loyalist says:

I was at the rink (Kings practice rink here in LA) when they were auditioning “ice girls”. It was beyond hilarious as half of them couldn’t skate and they tended towards being top heavy.

Next year I’ll post pix. :)

5. J.T. says:

I guess the lights were powered by the energy the team generated last night.

6. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. LA Loyalist says:

Gomez was -6 in the playoffs and scored 2 goals. We’ve been over this a million times.

I don’t know if you’re pissed because you bought his jersey (you and his mom) but the guy is a freaking boat anchor and his best before date was 4 years ago.

Lots of guys can PASS and SHOOT and CHECK. They just don’t play for us, unfortunately.

P.S. our success in the playoffs was due to Halak and Cammy being HOT.

8. Former Jets Fan says:

Your first sentence is incorrect.  The Winnipeg group vying for a franchise has the financial backing of David Thomson (you know, the richest man in Canada).  I confess to not being totally up to snuff on the net worths of all the NHL team owners  , but I would hazard a guess that a Thomson-owned team would be one of – if not the most – deep-pocketed teams in the league.

9. LA Loyalist says:

Does anyone watch enough of other teams to see if they mess with their lines as much as we do?

Here (in LA) the Ducks were having a real hard time getting the Getzlaf line going, but they just kept working and it’s kicking in, they beat Philly in Pnilly last night.

I didn’t understand Carbo doing it and I don’t know what Martin is trying to prove, unless he’s just trying to prove he’s the boss.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

I didn’t think anyone would respond so fast! I’m trying to dump less harshly on other franchises, well aside from our major rivals anyway.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. LA Loyalist says:

How do we plan on playing at least .500 hockey against Philly and New Jersey?

And you may have not noticed but Boston just handed Washington their head on a stick 2 games in a row.

And the Leafs have a goalie now.

We’re not in a bubble here guys. 88 points aren’t coming in the mail.

Love to hear the plan beyond “We need Markov back”.

12. HFX-HabFan says:

Looks like “Antoinette” got the boot!  Could “observer” be the next to go?!

13. Say Ash says:

could have used some at that yawn fest last night

14. krob1000 says:

you changed your post and hung me out to dry ! lol

15. SeriousFan09 says:

And the sideshows in the NHL continue.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. LA Loyalist says:

Las Vegas has 15% unemployment – that’s the official number. The actual is probably worse.

I like your idea of Siberia, though. The ice will be good. Let’s send Gary there on a fact-finding mission – one way.

17. krob1000 says:

on a cheerier note….the oilers are the first canadian team getting cheerleaders!!! http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/879770–oilers-to-be-first-canadian-nhl-team-to-get-cheerleaders

18. newbrunswick troy says:

i agree on all you,ve said with exception of the trigger man…the habs do have the scoring touch but they can,t infiltrate the pocket down low “to small” and the only way hard shots from the point work is if there is a monster body in front of net to screen and bang…once again “to small”

by the hello to you from the other side of the continent!!!!!New Brunswick!!!

19. pic1983 says:

“Boyd or Halpern are both mistake-prone, and are a downgrade from Metro and Dominic Moore .. Why did we let these guys go? We need someone like Carbonneau who was the best I have ever seen in this role.”

Theres this thing called the Salary Cap.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Why I like the Bulldogs, 25$ a game.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. LA Loyalist says:

It’s fair. It’s more than fair. Last year was weird circumstances also as the whole team got blowed up (that has of course been beaten to death). There was no way we were going to know what was going on before 20 games.

But the problem this year is in a jam conference where the difference between making the playoffs and playing golf could be 2 points – or less, I don’t know if we have a choice.

Remember the Ducks last year – they lost 5 or 6 right after the Olympics because they had so many guys in the Olympics who were tired and had to get their NHL gears back – then they were ripping great the rest of the year but they couldn’t make it up.

That’s just one example, but these early in the season points are critical to buy us a cushion for the dog days of Jan/February. We can’t just say “oh they’ve been off 4 or 5 days and no one told them it was New Jersey”

New Jersey always kick our ass. We weren’t ready, and we should have been.

22. HabmanSanDiego says:

So from the hockey hotbed here in Southern California.. here is the assessment of the good, the bad, and the ugly of our Habs..

Good: Price has made some stellar saves, and the team has shown confidence in him. He cannot be blamed for any of the team’s losses to date. Encouraging.

Bad: The Power Play ; its obvious the team has no trigger man on the point with a decent shot; they all run around looking for someone to pass to who can unload from the blue line. MAB would definitely be an asset here.. Don’t count on Markov to solve this problem

The Ugly; No shut down line.. Boyd or Halpern are both mistake-prone, and are a downgrade from Metro and Dominic Moore .. Why did we let these guys go? We need someone like Carbonneau who was the best I have ever seen in this role.

23. HabsFanInTampa says:

LOL. Yeah, I messed up on that Bills call. Sorry, my bad. I did pick the other game correctly, though.

24. pic1983 says:

Gomez has 2 points in 6 games and is making 8 million.  His whole line isnt generating offense.  A shot from the slot right on the goalies crest isnt exactly a quality scoring chance, so gionta having 8 shots means absolutely squat if they arent quality shots and quality scoring chances.

Gomez HAS TO BE BETTER, and so does Gionta.  For $13 million in cap space, they have to produce more.  They dont get paid to “try” they get paid to get results.

and to say our success in the playoffs last year is directly related to gomez, im sorry to be rude, but i want what you’re smoking.

25. TripleX says:

A troll will criticize the team even when it is unwarranted, such as when the team is playing well and winning.

See the difference?

A troll is not necessarily negative either, but a poster who is monotonous in the sameness of their comments.  One could argue a constantly positive and apologetic poster, even when facts may not support it are equally troll worthy.

Just a thought.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

26. savethepuck says:

I haven’t checked in a while. What is the latest on Markov’s return, our PP could really use him

27. otter649 says:

It’s Mr Tony in drag……..

28. mike g says:

It’s actually terrible…

With a couple of friends, were booking a weekend in NY to watch the Habs and Rangers March 18th, and it’s costing cheaper than the Bell.

Were sitting in the whites, sleeping in downtown NY, and renting a car.

Tickets: 50$

Hotel for 2 nights: 40$ each person

Gaz and rental car: 50$ each for the weekend.

So $140 to watch a game at MSG and visit a great city. And, perhaps get shit-faced in a bar, but wtv…

A night at a Habs game sitting in the whites, with 25$ parking costs $140.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

29. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

Youth is wasted on the young. Kool-aid is wasted on LSD.

30. Bugs says:

First of all, don’t say “we all” when you mean “YOU”. I didn’t react that way, so don’t lump me in with the gang. That’s first of all.

Secondly, you totally screwed me on that Bills call, Clearwater boy. Thanks a lot!

Decadently yours, I recline as

31. SLONCOLD says:

i wish we could see more teams in canada but only hamilton has a potential owner with deep pockets to support the team. :-( funny how it might be cheper to fly down to the states to watch some games with the fligh and hotel when compared to buying premiere seats at teh bell center

32. rocketsglare says:

The lack of drive and energy last night was no surprise, given that the team was off for almost 5 days.

But, what is surprising is that Gionta and Gomez have not got untracked and that the PP continues to

struggle. It’s way to early to judge how this team will play and certainly last night’s game is no indic-

ator either way how the team will play, but how the team responds against the Sens after such a lack-

luster performance against the Devils on Thursday night, will speak volumes about this team’s growth

and maturity.

Let’s hope for a better effort and result.

33. samTHEman says:

Shut your trap wh0re

34. ZepFan2 says:

Stay thirsty my friend!

————————————————————————–

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

35. HabsFanInTampa says:

At the beginning of last season, we all (including me) were starting to panic after the first 5 or 6 games, because we weren’t meeting our potential/expectations. Somebody here, I think it was Ian, wrote and said let’s calm down and see what develops after the first 20 games. A team has to gel or mesh and a good benchmark is 20 games played under your belt. I say we do the same thing and cut back on the negativity and wait to see what happens when we played a full 20 games. I think that’s fair (but, I’ve been known to be wrong).

36. mike g says:

And hopefully Antoinette will stop sucking d*cks at the corner of Papineau and Sherbrooke by Xmas…

Cuz you know, it gets kinda chilly around that time.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

37. mike g says:

Less than 5,000 people at the Coyotes game last night….

Hey Gary, I hear there’s lots of land to build arenas in New Mexico, Alabama, Siberia, and Kentucky.

Tabarnak de con, lui la……

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

38. HFX-HabFan says:

It’s amazing that you took the time to log in another of your created ID accounts to do this.

You have way too much time on your hands.

39. kool-aid says:

SIGN MAB NOW!!!!

40. SLONCOLD says:

People are being hard on gomez and he has to do more. he has to pick up more points and generate more quality chances. he’s not on top of his game and i hope he can get it goign soon because it will be a huge help to our team.

i think our playoff success was related to other things not named gomez lol

41. kool-aid says:

You forgot something.

42. ESundy36 says:

Great article, and I have to say seeing what has happened to the Yale hockey program in the last 5 years has been nothing short of incredible. The fact that highly touted prospects would consider coming to Yale with the rigorous academic standards and some of the weaker schedules in the NCAA, due to Ivy League rules, is a breath of fresh air.

43. StevieRay says:

Performance should not be tied to  Salary ..??? I’d love to work for you .

44. MTLForever says:

stop blaming price when he actually isn’t playing poorly, tony.

45. MTLForever says:

Have to agree with ya there.

46. MTLForever says:

difficult when pouliot and eller are thrown to different lines constantly.

47. samTHEman says:

Trust me I know. I lost my voice yelling all sort of insults at Spezza last saturday. Was well worth it.

48. sholi2000.com says:

Oh my god this funny. Where were all these trolls when the Canadiens were 3-1-1?  So funny to read the same crap from the same trolls every single time the Canadiens lose.  Yet never see them what so ever when they win.  They aren’t Canadiens fans, they’re Nordique fans in disguise haha.

Blast from the past

They Call Me Shane

49. Mattyleg says:

I’m looking forward to Saturday’s game. We’ll build on this loss and get working on making things click.

The last game against the Sens was a good one, and we’ll be able to rate our development against them.

God, I hate Jason Spezza, I really do.

My vote is for Jason Spezza as Prime Douchebag of the NHL.

Any other votes?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. Xtrahabsfan says:

Hey Joeybarrie ,you are now critizing a Habs fan that been watching the team since the fifty’s …and you ask if he’s trying to get a rise outa Peoples ,yer OVERBOARD! Thank the Gods you will never be in a power position in your life cause you are too easy to sucker…. I got NEWS for you everyone on the Habs sucked badly last nite and against a team in a bad funk with an aging Goaltender,maybe you should open up yer prospective a wee bit before typing you lil dictator,lol

51. habs001 says:

after20 games how many forwards will we have with one or less goals?…looks like the next group of prospects have way higher goal scoring potential…this organization does love the “gritty/checker” type player who have limited scoring ability…but maybe that thinking is changing a bit with the last 2 drafts…we have to accept that every night  will be a struggle to win or lose by one goal….

52. HFX-HabFan says:

Tony…why do you feel the need to create multiple accounts?  Like, do you actually get some form of satisfaction out of ALWAYS SAYING THE SAME THING?  Does something go off in your mind where you need some sort of reaction from others?  Personally, I would get bored/tired of always repeating myself.  You’re almost as bad as Cournoyer12 was.

Let me sum up the essence of your posts since you showed up in last year’s playoffs:

-Gainey/Gauthier/Martin are all dinosaurs/have never won anything

-something about 88 and 47

-“wakey wakey”

-Halak can do no wrong, Price sucks and has only won 20 games since 2009

-most of the people on here are leftists

-Ian Cushenan is the greatest hockey player ever

53. joeybarrie says:

Our team is currently sitting in a PLAYOFF position. The other guy you speak of, well his team is currently sitting OUT of the playoffs…

Rodeo Boy, PG, JM and the bunch are currently planning the Habs X-mas card, FOR NEXT YEAR…

If your trying to get a rise out of people, maybe you don’t want to say that a team wont make the playoffs when they are currently in the playoffs. You might want to wait till they slide below 8th and then jump on your opportunity. Comparing them to a team that is NOT in the playoffs is also dumb. You should again, wait until they are ahead or at least the Halak has more WINS than Price…

Laslty, you really really sound EXTRA stupid, (because you regularly just simply sound stupid) when you say something that is OBVIOUSLY not going to happen.

It does make me happy to know that you realise that this is the LOW part for this team so you have to spew your nonsense now, cause you know full well you wont get another chance this season…

THANKS…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

54. Mattyleg says:

So glad you’re back, Tony, I was starting to feel good about humanity again.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

55. aemarchand11 says:

And still, nobody cares about your oppinion.

2010-2011

56. 123456 says:

adam, and i thought some of your posts were absurd (sorry just being honest).

price has been great – and i’m not sure having halak over pleks is really what the team needs

i will be the first to admit eller is not as good as expected but i’m hoping (yes hoping) eller and polouit both start producing.

57. joeybarrie says:

Yet somehow MAGICALLY his line had the most shots of any lin ein the game with 9… But then again Gio and Pyatt had all 9 of their shots because they induvidually stole the puck from the Devils and then shot. Gomez didn’t make a single pass all game. Wait whats that you say? Gomez did pass the puck? Wait the guy who shoots on that line, SHOT THE PUCK???? WHY? WAIT, even further you say the guy who passes the puck and has all the assists actually PASSED THE PUCK???  What an odd series of events….

He even won 56% of his face offs, had 1 shot go wide and blocked 2 shots…

His performance is not tied to his salary. People need to get over the obvious. HEY DID YOU KNOW WE TRADED HALAK????

By the way MR. “Get rid of him anyway possible” do you understand that our success in the playoffs was directly due to his offensive capabilities? Obviously no, you don’t…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

58. adam76 says:

Your daddy is not your daddy but your daddy don;t know.

59. adam76 says:

Price has been solid this season – he is not the issue.

This is a .500 team, and they are on track for that.

60. krob1000 says:

A pretty coola rticle about Max Domi …Tie’s son….seems Tie Domi…yes, Tie Domi’s kid has the potential to be the top player taken in the OHL draft….have geneticists been wrong all these years?

61. homerbowen says:

Our $8M man (Gomer) had a grand total of 0 yes 0 shots on goal last night. We will not be successful with this type of complacecny. Get rid of him anyway possible.

62. smiler2729 says:

Damn! I was gonna make a power outage/Habs offence joke but so many beat me to it.

63. Exit716 says:

Molson forgot to book ice time.

He was busy working bingos to help pay for new sweaters.

64. Exit716 says:

I miss the days when CBC showed the Wonderful World of Disney followed by Wayne and Shuster.

And the days when it was a relevant broadcaster.

65. fbkj says:

Power outage on the shore???

hope i didnt lose mine…

66. Chuck says:

Holy hell, how much light do you need for a bag skate, anyway?

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

67. Number31 says:

No… Just call up Weber. He just scored his 5th goal too (on the PP).

68. Bill J says:

:O

At first I thought I was in the twilight Zone.

Kudos to you for giving credit to Price.

This team IMO is more then a .500 team, but I agree they are far from reaching the 60 wins plateau.

I still believe they can make the playoffs.  And as we saw last season, that’s the first step.

69. Bill J says:

Fail.

First go look at yourself in the mirror.

70. Bill J says:

Why dont’cha join Tony…

71. SeriousFan09 says:

The board is for open discussion and Tony’s latest split personality crossed a line.

If they were really banning all viewpoints that go against the majority view you’d have gotten the rear door out of here a long time ago.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

72. Everlasting1 says:

I’ve always thought having 3 Ontario teams was a little much, but then you realize the state of California (the mecca of hockey) has 3 clubs. But I’d favour the return of the Jets, Nords myself seeing as how some of these sunbelt teams are in financial straits. Surely Winnipeg, QC can draw more fans (provided tix prices are reasonable and venues are adequate).

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

73. LA Loyalist says:

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first game against New Jersey.” — Carey Price

74. bwoar says:

6100+ showed up in Winnipeg last night to watch Moose v Bulldogs.  I would’ve been there too, if not for the snot demons infecting my kids.  Shame we won’t be getting a new team.

75. mike g says:

Yup, and that figure was inflated….

The 6,702 figure is apparently a blown up figure thanks to tickets sold. According to numerous reports, the actual attendance was close to, if not a tad below 5,000 people.

Sad, really sad….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

76. Seps says:

Did anyone hear of Phoenix’s attendance last night? 6702 people.  (What a hockey market eh Bettman)

The OHL team in my city has gotten more attendance than that with 6900+ people because thats all it can hold and the tickets are probably more expensive for the OHL as well.  It’s about time we get another team in Canada.

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game”  – Carey Price

77. Seps says:

Thats awful

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game”  – Carey Price

Let me guess – Gionta and Gomez will have a new line partner on Saturday. Have we come full circle yet or there are still players who haven’t been tried on that line to get the 13 millions going?

79. StevieRay says:

They did add Cammy and his 6 mil to the line last nite … bottom line 19 mil … still nothng happened even when they were on the PP … and Markov’s return will fix this .. wishful thinking folks !

80. habs365 says:

At the Bell Center last night the lights were on, and the Habs played like there was nobody home

I don’t know whats wrong with that team, sometimes they play like their in the 7th game of the stanley cup the next next game they play like their in training camp, I can’t figure them out.

81. otter649 says:

Canuck’s Rick Rypien suspended 6 games with a team fine of $25,000.00……….

82. habaholic68NJ says:

Forget about the lights and the gym.  The first thing JM should do is force the team to watch last night’s bore-fest, Pointing out that all but maybe two shots were from the perimeter (and harmless), without any net presence.  This is particularly true on our pathetic PP. GO TO THE FRIGIN NET.  As for JM, time to pick your lines and stick with them for 10 games, not 10 minutes.

83. pic1983 says:

well said on all points!

84. FB says:

Funny the only time someone was infront of the net we got 1 of our 2 scoring chances….. Who was the mystery man in front of the net……..PK Subban.

85. SeriousFan09 says:

Does Darche need help making paper airplanes in the press box?

4 previous NHL seasons: 30G, 14G, 27G, 18G, not sure which Ryder you get each season and that’s a liability to have on your roster and a harder one to trade because of the low value.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

86. G-Man says:

Funniest post of the day.

87. mike g says:

Quick note…

According to numerous sources at Habs’ practice, Alex Auld will play alongside Gomez and Gionta in tomorrow night’s matchup against the Sens.

His big body and exceptional detail to defense is what has landed him the latest tryout on the Habs’ #2 line.

According to JM, if this strategy doesn’t work, the monkey from those annoying Subway commercials will get the next shot.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

88. Say Ash says:

Where’s Youppi in the queue?

89. Danno says:

Those monkeys all have a Subway Sandwich Engineer© degree.

Their talent would be wasted playing with GiGo.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

90. HabsProf says:

Wait….it happened this morning?  I thought the power outage was last night?  (cue rimshot).

_____________________________________

Puttin’ on the foil.

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

91. Say Ash says:

I wish the WAS power outage last night. What a waste of an evening. This year I didn’t get the NHL classic channel, but somehow I was treated to a game nonetheless.

92. mike g says:

Hey…

So far Gomez has more goals this year than Gretzky and Lemieux combined.

So, I’m felling were not in that much trouble…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

93. SLONCOLD says:

maybe he’s consistently inconsistent?

94. mike g says:

Apparently there have been contract disputes…

He wants a 1-way deal, but that Habs are worried about how it will affect the cap.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

95. krob1000 says:

the gym? so I bet Gio and Gomez pair up…spot for each other on the bench press ….and Tom Pyatt will be standing about 50 feet away watching….is there really any difference between the gym and the ice anyway??

96. Storm Man says:

This must be JM new system he has in place. The power outage.

97. Danno says:

JM said “No power. Go play in the gym please.” But the team only heard “No power play, please.”

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

98. adam76 says:

Is that the codename for our powerplay?

99. LA Loyalist says:

is the French for that “Outage”? Just wondering…

100. 123456 says:

i see what you did there

101. pic1983 says:

I liked one posters idea of splitting up gomez and gionta.  I dont know why that hasnt been tried yet.  Either go with gionta/pleks/AK46 and Gomez/Cammy/??? OR go with Pleks/Cammy/Gionta and officially make gomez our second line center with BP and AK46 on his wings.

102. StevieRay says:

works for me

103. mike g says:

What to do on a Friday night?…

Anyone know a nice pub/bar in the downtown area filled with plasma’s, where I can slam down a few cold ones and watch some hockey?

I know there’s the usual places on Crescent, any suggestions?

Kinda bored of the bar around my area.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

104. joeybarrie says:

I like Irish Embassy.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

105. Puck Bard says:

Tobacco Road. Walls of Plasmas. Happy Hour 1/2 price pints, and 1/2 price bar food.

Oh wait, that’s in Durham.

106. samTHEman says:

Sports Station. Sweet 46-50″ Plasma’s all around, literally only a few inches apart, all over the place. Cheap prices. Overall good place.

I go to the new one in Brossard on boulevard Matte so i’m assuming the one on St. Catherine is the same.

107. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I was listening to the radio today, and apparently JM is against using a forward at the point for the PP…he wants to go back to the good ‘ol two units competing against each other.

Am I missing something here? Is that not what is already being done and is that not what already sucks? Why so much resistence to putting a forward on the point. Cammy has a cannon that actually hits the net.

108. Bugs says:

Cammy’s “cannon” originates from the circle, not the blue line.

We don’t have a forward with a rocket slap-shot; that’s why we don’t have a forward playing the point.

I think that’s “what you’re missing” and why Jack Marty is perfectly correct in his approach.

Decadently yours, I recline as

109. Dansolo says:

I really thought the title of this article was refering to the Canadiens Power Play