Pouliot the extra forward

Benoit Pouliot could be watching from the pressbox tomorrow night.

Minus-2 against Colorado, Pouliot was the odd forward out at practice in Dallas this morning.

The lines:

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Eller
Pacioretty – Gomez – Gionta
Kostitsyn – Halpern – Moen
Darche – Pyatt – Lapierre

Alexandre Picard missed practice for treatment. The D pairings:

Subban – Weber
Hamrlik – Spacek
Gorges – Gill

In his post-practrice remarks, Jacques Martin confirmed there would be lineup changes against Dallas. Martin said the team needed more from Pouliot and Andrei Kostitsyn, as well as better execution and more intensity from everyone.

The situation is not catastrophic, Martin said. But with the Canadiens losers in four of their last five games, the ship must be righted tout de suite.

•  •  •

They choke in the playoffs, but the San Jose Sharks have to be the funniest team in the league.

Satirical holiday favourites include “Did Old Lang Sign?”

1. ManApart says:

Eklund is wrong more like 98% of the time. Also why in the world would Vancouver want Pouliot? Pouliot ISN’T a much better than expected forward. Unless Vancouver was expecting Tom Pyatt or something. Losing Bieksa for Pouliot is a terrible move for the Canucks.

2. kempie says:

Which I took to mean that he would STFU and GTFO. My mistake. What he actually meant was that he would change his nick and avatar before continuing to regurgitate his same old tired shit over & over,

3. Hagar says:

As nice as it would be to have Bieksa, I’m not entirely sure I want this to happen. These stupid trades where GM’s give up an arm for a short term rental are out of control. I’m still in disbelief that PG had to give up a 2nd rounder to land Dominic Moore. A 2nd rounder for 40 GP & 16 pts. If we had to give up that for Moore then what’s being asked for Bieksa? As much as we need help on our D (& we do) the best option for the remainder of the year is likely to rely on the Weber callup to fix our hole. This hurts, I know. He’s a rookie & no kind of replacement for Markov, but that’s likely our best option. I don’t know if I wanna go through another expensive rental to try & fix our problem.

4. LA Loyalist says:

To bad we couldn’t have both Webers, + that euro-goalie Karri (?)_ then we’d have the Weber Weber Carey Karri show. that would make even Danny Gallivan bite his cheek :)

Hah… self inflicted purgatory. :)

6. SeriousFan09 says:

I always mock an Eklund rumour, considering our roster was going to feature Frolov, Cogliano and Brule according to him over the last couple years and how many times it was a ‘sure thing’.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7. Malreg says:

Eklund has been saying that Montreal and Vancouver are 90% close to a deal for Bieksa since the beginning of the summer.

8. LA Loyalist says:

“underperformer”? Well, that will get the PG trained seal of approval. Rearrange the deck chairs, lads!

9. keepthefaith says:

Bieska is 100 percent an upgrade on Picard. And probably Spacek and Hammer. At least hes got some balls. See him crush the orbital bone of that guy last week? We could use Bieska for sure

10. Da Hema says:

Are you being facetious (given the Eklund reference above)? If Gauthier could get that trade in the books, he would be up there with Sammy Pollock.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

11. LA Loyalist says:

We have ” a much better than expected ” forward?

12. Hagar says:

They’re not gonna trade Weber for Bieksa (because if they do, they know they’ll hear from me).

13. PeterD says:

I’m thinking trade deadline…Package deal of AK46, Desharnais (or Boyd) for a large mobile defenceman or large scoring forward plus draft pick or prospect…not rental players but with a view to the future…maybe 2-3 years left on their contracts.

I think Pierre and Bob will use up about 4 M of our IR cap space and close the deal with a western conference team that has an abundance of D-men or forwards but limited vcap space (say Vancouver?).

Bieksa, Edler, or Alex Burrows would a be nice fit here from Vancouver and prospect Cody Hodgson

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Tell you what’s more likely going to happen…

Shea Weber to MTL for Yannick Weber and a 2nd.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

15. andrewberkshire says:

He said he would delete his account if Price won the majority of his first 20 starts. Nothing that fun.

16. andrewberkshire says:

I wouldn’t trade Weber either.

17. VancouverHab says:

Thought about that: the present Picard, yes–the earlier reliable Picard, no. I’m willing to wait for the possible return of the reliable Picard…

(No way I’d trade Weber for Bieksa though.)

18. LA Loyalist says:

5′ 5″? Don’t you get it? He would make everyone else look larger. Haven’t you heard of Einsvie’s ‘theorem of relativism” ???

19. Bugs says:

Was I wrong or was I wrong? His best movie alongside “Out for Justice”, which gets credit for being made 20 years beforehand. But if all his movies had all been made in the same era? “A Dangerous Man” by a cleeaar mile.

Spectacularly brutal. No u-turns, no wannabe Seagal “zen” talk; just all-out body-breakin violence, with a smattering of A-ok bad guys and not-too-shabby zingers thrown in for good measure.

And hey, like I said, throw some baddies into heavy machinery and you get extra credit from me.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

Gee, what happened? Did I miss some fun times again?

21. andrewberkshire says:

Wasn’t specifically saying you were. All good here as well, finished my last final this morning.

22. andrewberkshire says:

Habnofear is Xtrahabsfan.

23. Hagar says:

An absent Markov.

24. JIMVINNY says:

Bugs, I finally watched “A Dangerous Man”.  For a Seagal movie, it wasn’t too bad.  That being said, it was a Seagal movie.  Expectations usually start pretty low.

25. Born in a Bad Year says:

Go back and watch him out of position on the goals against us in the first Toronto game.  Then compare it to last Saturday’s game.  He has been bad from the start.  He is basically invisible on the ice.

26. RJ says:

The ONLY reason Eller is not in the AHL is because he was the cornerstone player in the BIG TRADE. No other young player has been given this much of a shot. Pouliot should be on the top two lines. Putting a skill player like him on a checking line is ridiculous.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

nope… done with that

28. mrhabby says:

are you still barfing.

29. punkster says:

Please note I have not been on his case today. It’s all good.

***Subbang!!!***

30. mrhabby says:

it makes some sense as Salo is coming back from injury very soon putting the Nucks over the cap i think. still wouldn’t gillis wait until Feb to get the best possible deal. I believe when i see it.

Hey Bugs, JM must have borrowed that move from my Flames hero Sutter. You know, the bestest and the flamiest… Learn from the best.

32. habs365 says:

Teacher – you won’t like it come april when the Habs are watching from the sidelines

33. Bugs says:

I don’t care if Plecky and Cammi are the 6th line; as long as my boy can join’em for 15 mins every game.

Then we’ll see what’s what.

…cuz this is bullspit, man…

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

34. andrewberkshire says:

Picard.

you don’t think, eh?

36. andrewberkshire says:

He got an assist last night, and tons of scoring chances, yet he gets lambasted because someone else shot a pass into his skates.

I’ll be checking in frequently today… should be fun.

38. VancouverHab says:

Well, of our current roster, Kevin  Bieksa is a clear upgrade on ….. uhhhm, no-one.

39. Bugs says:

Don’t get me started, Hagie.

I’m hopped up as it is.