Postcard IV from camp

GetAttachment.aspx

Practice is underway on both ice surfaces in Brossard.

No scrimmage scheduled.

Scott Gomez is skating, in a white jersey.

There will be audio later from Jacques Martin’s media briefing, and video late this afternoon.

•  •  •

Practice pairings: Tinordi and Lemelin, Gill and Diaz, Ellis and Weber, Henry and Subban

And Gomez skating wtih Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher

Enqvist, Cole and AK46

•  •  •

Power-play drill: Weber, Yemelin, Cole, Gionta, Cammalleri

Diaz, Woywitka, Eller, Darche, AK46

Subban, Spacek, Gomez, Max-Pac, Gionta

Price stopped a hard point shot that seemed to sting him

•  •  •

Head-butting contests:

Price and Gorges: Draw

Price KO over Darche

•  •  •

Randy Cunneyworth feeding Lars Eller for slappers from the right faceoff circle.

1. qqggnn says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $3 0Etc.
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

2. Ronin says:

I watched the entire game and have to say I was reasonably impressed by Beaulieu and Gallagher….would like to think that those two could join the team in the next 2-3 years as regulars and be impact players in 4 or max 5 years. I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that one good game and a couple of good scrimmages makes them NHL ready anytime in the very near future.

We have to remember that for these kids (stress kids here) this is their stanley cup final game 7. They should be bringing it and leaving it all on the ice….for this one or 2 or 3 game stretch….after that its impossible to predict at this moment how they will hold up or keep up the energy and momentum through a long NHL season.

I’m encouraged….realistically encouraged, but not unrealistically expecting much for a while.

Ronin

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Beaulieu will play with The Habs at least by next season, unless He is hit by falling satellite debris walking to the rink …what We think is worth zilch …it’s what Jacques Martin and Pierre Gauthier ‘think’ …and last night We were told exceedingly clear WHAT at least Jacques Martin ‘thinks’
    …27 + minutes TOI !
    …Sidney Crosby, Jeffrey Skinner and loads of 18 to 20 year olds have made the jump directly from junior to the NHL almost seamlessly
    …Beaulieu, though selected 17, was ‘projected’ in the Top-10 of this last draft
    …Beaulieu looks MUCH more pedigreed than Latendresse
    …there would have to be a trade to bring-on Beaulieu, so I realistically think He will return to St. Johns, or be kept for 6 games to start the season to give Him real-world NHL experience before sending Him down, but please do not tell Me Jacques Martin is not ‘thinking’ of the ‘possibility’ of Nathan Beaulieu as A Hab at this moment

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

I look forward to the JM audio……

5. DEANDALLEY says:

Great!
    Now Price is hurt … DAMN ….

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

• DearyLeary says:

Price is hurt? According to?

• DEANDALLEY says:

“Price stopped a hard point shot that seemed to sting him”

Broken finger I reckon ….

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

• Chorske says:

Ever stopped a puck? It stings. Heck, a whiffle ball can sting. Jumping from “Price was stung” to “PRICE HAS A BROKEN FINGER OMG OMG WTF!!1!” is a bit of a leap, no?

• DEANDALLEY says:

LOL ….

I played Goal for yrs & yrs with equip that is not of the quality it is today. I was black a blue all over!

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

• savethepuck says:

@Dean
            I started playing goal in 1970. The little pieces of soft sponge ( like in a sofa cushion )that fit into little slots on the arm gear was a complete waste of time. Used to take a lot of pucks off the knee too before they came out with bigger and better pads and knee protection. As the pads got older and the horse hair shifted, I had to cut the knees off a pair of shin pads and use just the shin guard for extra protection just so I didn’t cringe every time I saved a puck with my pads.
            Those were the days. I really miss them.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

6. Hobie Hansen says:

So yeah, Beaulieau and Gallagher looked sick good last night!

I was corrected when I stated that they will both play in Hamilton. because they’re too young they either play Junior or NHL, not AHL.

So what’s the age limit to play in the AHL?

• christophurrr says:

i think you have to be over 20 to play in the AHL. the idea’s that the AHL can’t poach stars from the juniors.

• DearyLeary says:

Avstin played in the A last season as a 19 year old. I’m not entirely sure why. Might be that nobody in the CHL had his rights and he obviously didn’t commit to NCAA hockey, so he was allowed in.

Pure speculation as to how he played in the A, but it feels right.

• savethepuck says:

I think your speculation is correct. It’s not an AHL rule regarding the 20 yr age limit, it’s an NHL agreement with the CHL.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

7. All these calls for Beaulieu to start the year in the NHL are going to Latenderize™ him.

• Chorske says:

And when he fails to meet expectations the usual suspects will blame the coach.

• savethepuck says:

Maybe you were or weren’t referring to my post below, but I’m not pushing for Beaulieu to start the season in Montreal. I’m just asking questions as to whether or not the organization is giving him a good look and at least considering it.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Chorske says:

I’d say he’s getting the minutes- and he’s paired with PK, which is a vote of confidence, no? But why consider something if in the long run it diminishes the value of the player? They’re giving him ice time to boost his confidence and assess his strengths and weaknesses- and then he will be sent back with a list of things to work on and (more importantly) a lingering, highly motivating taste of the big leagues. But I wouldn’t for one second consider keeping him in the NHL right away. A year minimum, more likely two before that happens.

• MJ says:

Uh oh we agree! LOL

Not good, I must be coming down with a fever ha ha ha

________________________________________________
          This team can use a 6’4″ fourth line centre full of grit and aggression. Paul Gaustad anyone?

• LA Loyalist says:

Nice coinage :-) and unfortunately, far too accurate.

0-2 without Gomez. Cupless without MAB.

9. Stev.R says:

Could we feasibly have 3 habs play at the world jrs this year? Gallagher, Bournival and Beaulieu?

• thorandresson says:

Based on what we’ve seen in the first 2 games both Gallagher and Beaulieu should make the team, unfortunately we haven’t seen Bournival yet, but he was one of the last guys cut from the junior team last year.

And don’t forget Tinordi with the US squad

• Daniel Pribyl is also a near lock to make the czech team, and John Westin has an outside shot at making team Sweden.

• savethepuck says:

Starting to love the youth we have coming up. And people complain about our scouting.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• thorandresson says:

Yup, however it doesn’t seem like there’s anyone too exciting knocking at the door this year, but then again we had 5 guys crack the line up last year (Max, DD, White, Subban and Weber), I expect next year and the following we’ll have another nice bunch (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc, Bournival and Gallagher) and add to that any guys who might come out of nowhere.

10. shiram says:

Gomez skates with MaxPac and Brendan Gallagher at practice today.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

11. HIO.; you updated ios app without adressing the commenting issue

sent from mercury for iphone

oh noes! not t3h mercuries D:

12. J_P says:

One thing Ive learnt reading HIO through this pre-season: People care WAY too much about pre-season.

Pre-season is completely useless as a tool to judge a team. A team could go undefeated in pre-season, and than miss the playoffs.

I barely even watch the pre-season games, and if I do, I dont put much stock in them. Opposing teams players are going to try things that they would probably never try in the regular season, some players are just leisure skating out there and trying to get back into the groove, there’s a lack of chemistry on most teams because the squads are split, teams are testing different tactics…

So many reasons that pre-season is not worth getting too high or too low over.

• shiram says:

It’s mostly interesting to see the young players, and also the players coming back from injury. New players too.
      But tha Habs could lose all pre-season games, and I’d still be chilled out!

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Bripro says:

Most of us are just content to get back into spectating , as opposed to speculating. It’s definitely better than no hockey at all.

• avatar_58 says:

PK tried a new move twice and it worked twice, once leading to a goal. I hope he keeps that one in his bag of tricks

• FishOutOfWater says:

ive felt like too many nhl clubs are trying to win preseason games. the 2/3 nhl rosters are getting crazy. i know the all stars need to get some ice time, but lets try to let junior players get a taste of what theyre training for. not everyone who has a good couple of preseason games are going to have a illustrious nhl career. id like to think people understand that. but i see pavel datsyuk do this http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=124134 while a defense is dumbfounded wont happen during a regular season game. (im not knocking datsysk hes the best but hes barely skating when this happens and the d is all omg Pavel!) basically what i mean is i agree with ur point well half of it. maybe winning helps sell preseason tickets and regular season games? i dont know. also whats the deal with this 2 games in one night stuff? i dont like it

• LA Loyalist says:

it’s fun to see the kids, mainly. And it’s mainly that we’ve been hockey-starved all summer (unless you’re playing). Perspective will kick in once October is here – maybe. :-)

• MikeMcLaren says:

In North America pre-season games last year, the Bruins were 1-3-1. Didn’t seem to hurt them so much at the end of the year… unfortunate of course, but it shows exactly how much pre-season matters.

/\\ike
      GO HABS GO!

• Mr. Biter says:

Agree totally. Exhibition games are to evaluate talent for the future and sometimes find players who have vastly improved (Gallagher) and ones who star seems to be fading a bit (AP) for example. RELAX the real season starts soon and if we start 0-2 then we panic and start throwing people under the bus.

Mr. Biter

13. Chrisadiens says:

So accoding to Sal Pal on ESPN. Mike Vick is going to wear a concussion absorbing kevlar composite helmet for the game on Sunday. He went on to say that Bruins already wear these types of helmets?

Is this true about the Bruins? Do they work? Anyone know anything about these things?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

14. thorandresson says:

anyone know what the deal is with Bournival? Did he get hurt on the weekend?

15. savethepuck says:

I think we need to talk more about this Beaulieu kid. Before last night I thought he had 0% chance of making this team. Last night, he looked far from out of place against a Buffalo team that started their top 2 goalies. their top 6 forwards ( 8 of their top 9), and their top 3 DMen. I know it is the common consensus on here that he is going back to the Q, and being from Saint John, I’m definitely OK with that. What I have a hard time understanding is that if the kid has no chance of making this team, why give him the 27:15 in ice time that led both teams. If preseason games are to assess talent to see where a player fits in your organization, and it is a given that he’s going back to the Q, why such a good look? He played at least half the 3rd period. Giving more ice time to a player that is playing well is also not a factor in the preseaon IMO because the priority of winning the game is a far 2nd to the organization assessing the talent on the ice. In preseason, not only the players that are playing good get the extra ice time, but also the players who are not necessarily playing so good, but they are on the bubble to make the squad (Enqvist, Palushaj). There has to be a reason he played that much other than the coaching staff wanting to give the kid a break and let him enjoy the moment.
    Maybe someone else on here can explain to me why they think he played so much.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• punkster says:

He’s being showcased. Package deal coming with Gomez to the Sens for Zero Kornucopia. Our dreams come true.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• thorandresson says:

I think you’re looking too much into his ice time, remember the habs are playing a crap load of games. The way I see it is JM is rewarding the players he likes with more ice time, there’s no need to rush Beaulieu, we know what he can do and he’s only going to get better. It looks like he’s at the most 2 years away from cracking the line up.

• punkster says:

Player’s he likes? Come on I think it may be just a tad deeper than that.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• savethepuck says:

If your assessment is correct, I think it would be much more advantageous to the organization to give minutes like that to the DMen that have a legitimate shot and are fighting for the 6th and 7th spots. It is possible that all of those guys played the night before, but I honestly think he’ll stick with this team late into training camp based on what I saw last night. I wasn’t suggesting rushing him either. I think it would be a waste of time to keep him in the pressbox for most of the season. I still think in preseason games, questions have to be asked as to why certain players are getting better looks than others. Him playing an extra 10 minutes in last nights game is not realistically going to help his development 2 or 3 years down the road ( IMO I think he’ll be with the Habs in 2 years or less).

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Stev.R says:

My opinion is they should keep Beaulieu in the lineup until Markov gets back, and then send him back. Introduce him to the professional game so that next season when he gets his chance (whether on the team or for a few games), he will not be shocked by the new experience. I don’t think it would hurt his development.

• B37zc says:

1) thats too much for 18ys old boy
            2) it could send a wrong message to other young players

• Sharks9 says:

I disagree, give Weber some ice time instead. Send Beaulieu back to the Q and then next year when Spacek and possibly Gill might be gone, he’ll have a real chance of making an impact in the NHL.

25 before 14

So I am going with an over/under of 7 new threads today on HIO!

17. jo_maka says:

LEmelin??? Really??? You serious?

18. Morenz7 says:

Any cuts scheduled today? I appreciate them casting a wide net for talent and all, but it’s looking a bit like hockey school ..

19. DEANDALLEY says:

When this team starts to click LOOK OUT. They will be unstoppable ..

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

20. Shane1313 says:

I’m looking forward to Markov’s return. We need him. For some reason, I don’t think the Defense is as “grim” as some people mention. Im actually excited.

21. avatar_58 says:

Is it too early to announce my beaulieu love? I kept saying “I want to see him with subban!” – then they paired up and scored.

I admit it – I felt movement.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

I only caught the third period but Beaulieu was really impressive.

I note he was ranked 5th amongst N American skaters.

I guess we are fortunate that (1) he was still available for the 17th pick and (2) Minnesota’s Mr Hockey 2011 wasn’t.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Actually he was, went 91st overall to Florida, Kyle Rau.

And MTL took Mr. Hockey twice, yes one was David Fischer, but I think the Rangers would agree that Ryan McDonagh was a pretty solid pick.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• HabFanSince72 says:

Interestingly, if I look at the 2007 draft and think of the players we might have picked instead of McDonagh I come up with:

- David Perron
        - Max Pacioretty
        - PK Subban
        - Lars Eller

• SeriousFan09 says:

And if we look at the 2004 draft, over “Good Canadian Boy” Kyle Chipchura we have: Mike Green, Travis Zajac, Andrej Meszaros, Dave Bolland, David Booth, Brandon Dubinsky, Alex Goligoski and David Krejci.

Cuts both ways.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Exit716 says:

I didn’t realize that Chipchura is now trying to make Phoenix’s roster. He’s going to be out of the league pretty soon.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’m not sure what you mean by cuts both ways or “Good Canadian Boy”.

My point was that 3 of the 4 players we passed up for McDonagh are with us.

Chipchura is a mistake now but at the time he probably looked good. Wasn’t he named captain of the world juniors after being drafted?

• SeriousFan09 says:

that clown Patrice Cormier also wore the C for Team Canada. Chipchura had 15 goals and 48 points in his draft year. Zajac had dominated Junior A right before going to the prestigious North Dakota program following his draft call, Bolland had 37G, 30A in his OHL campaign, Booth had been nearly PPG as a rookie in NCAA hockey, Dubinsky had a much better season with the WHL Portland Winterhawks.

Looking back, beyond ‘character player’ it’s hard to see what he was bringing compared to his competition.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

23. shiram says:

Lemelin? Yemelin? Emelin?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!