Postcard II from Rookie Camp

jodoin

No scrimmages until late afternoon, by which time the press gallery will be empty.

But Clément Jodoin, the new coach of the Bulldogs, met the media and set a record: His first answer, according to Jean-François Chaumont of Radio-Canada, ran 3:10.

Here’s audio of Jodoin in English and French.

Jodoin is smart, thoughtful and articulate.

First impression is the Canadiens have hired a good man who will know how to develop young players.

Jodoin’s bio, from the recent Quebec Hockey Summit:

He has close to 30 years of experience in hockey. In 2010-11 Jodoin completed his fourth season as head coach of the Rimouski Oceanic and his 10th season as a head coach in the QMJHL. In 2008, Jodoin was an assistant coach with Canada’s gold medal winning team at the 2008 World Junior Championship in the Czech Republic. Jodoin has also three world under-20 championship gold medals as an assistant coach (2006, 2007 and 2008). He spent six seasons between 1997 and 2003 in various positions within the hockey department of the Montreal Canadiens. He joined the Québec Nordiques organization, spending two seasons as the AHL Halifax Citadelles Head Coach (1990-1992), and two seasons as an assistant with the Nordiques (1992-1994).

Jodoin’s playing carer also included a stint at Concordia University during the 1970s.

• Some veterans on the Brossard ice early: Andrei Markov, P.K. Subban, Brian Gionta, Mathieu Darche, Erik Cole, Lars Eller.

Video of the Day: Jonbathan Toews goes Matt Cooke on an eight-year-old

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Loyalist, Perry is a hypocritical opportunist with an IQ that rivals George “most of our imports come from other countries” Bush. He said Texas should look in to secession and called Social Security a Ponzi Scheme. I am sure he is not going to enjoy a rich government-funded pension when his political career ends… Or soak up state-funded medical coverage while fighting against public health coverage.

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a deeply moving and personal insight on Todd Belak and the disease of depression from Michael Landsberg

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

You’re going to love tomorrow’s photo of AK46.

Are there no hair stylists in the city of Montreal?

4. Trisomy 21 says:

So I thought with the news that Markov was skating in the first round of the playoffs in April, he should be than more ready for this season. I read that he was skating with Leblanc and Fortier this morning for the injured players skate.
    This kind of scares me, if he can’t put in 100% now, will he be 100% in October?

5. Toe Blake says:

I bumped into St. Peter this afternoon in the great beyond and asked him for a miracle that would trade Scott Gomez to the Leafs for a few late-round draft picks. He informed me that as impossible as miracles may appear to the non-canonized their probability must in reality be greater than zero. As far as my idea was concerned, he said, “no can do!”

6. HabFab says:

The daily schedule at the Rookie Camp;
    as seen from the ROCK…

7. Bill J says:

One week till the first pre season game! Almost there.:)

If you want a days count till Habs hockey, I recommend this as your home page: http://bit.ly/mTnegr

8. FishOutOfWater says:

With NHL hockey still a few weeks away. Most must be pretty anxious to get onto the ice themselves, so what leagues do you HIO readers play in? because I mean all of you play hockey right?

Ive got my last year of junior hockey. house league here in Kitchener. ON. First year goaltending in a junior league. Gonna see how that goes. lol

• Trisomy 21 says:

Oh you know, I play in the NHL.
      Yeah I can’t wait to get back on the ice and stuff. Skate up and down the ice.. hit the puck, that sort of stuff

• Ian Cobb says:

Fish- in the junior net in Kitchener.

Enjoy the game no matter what level. I play in a league where you have to be 70 and over. We never seem to have any opposition on the other side of the rink, or the trainer has to upgrade our eye ware.

• el heffe says:

No Hawkey players here. just experts.

-Charge it to the Underhill’s.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I play 4 on 4 shinny in a tiny rink on a tiny ice surface with no glass that was a finalist on Hockeyville. The money Lawrencetown got from it is going into insulation and upgrading the ice making system!

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• LA Loyalist says:

I play on 2 different teams on two different rinks (I’m 57), one of which, when the puck goes UNDER the boards in the corner, the game has to stop and we have a face-off. Luckily a new rink is about to open (Pasadena) and when they tear down the old one they are going to find about a thousand pucks.

The other one is the Kings old practice rink, and it is mush at one end as the pipes were run the wrong way when the rink was extended about 30 years ago.

I also play on a third rink which is almost square and probably run by the Russian mob, but that’s another story…

My kid, however, plays on GREAT ice – the Kings new practice rink among others. That’s the reason he’s faster than me. Really. It’s the ice. Would I lie?

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Cool rinks are the best part of beer league hockey though eh? The other cool thing about the Lawrencetown Rink is it really is a barn, it’s only as wide as it is because the posts that hold the barn up get in the way. They used to play high school hockey, 5 on 5, in it and the 10″ by 10″ posts were along the boards were used for knocking heads I guess, in the days before helmets no less. See, hockey violence just started!

____________________________________________________
          They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• NCRhabsfan says:

This is all cool. I played in Belgium for five years. The ice didn’t quite make it to the boards so there was a “gentleman’s agreement” that you let a guy dig it out of the rut before you went after him, no glass, just nets, and half the lights worked on any given night. You quickly learned to shoot from the dark spots. Oh, and one door to the bench that only worked every other shift. We can’t talk about the dressing rooms because that gets ugly fast (they were growing some very interesting funghi) , but boy did they ever have great beer in the bar in the arena after the game.

I thought, being an arogant Canadian, that we would dominate the Belgians but I was surprised. First off, they don’t divide up their players like we do here. Because there aren’t many they play in all sorts of leagues to get ice time. It’s not unusual to find yourself up against a Belgian elite league player (hugely generous use of the term”elite league”) playing in a recreational game. They don’t have a lot of good hockey players, but man, they have some guys that can skate! Good bunch too on the whole.

I think I would like to try hockey in LA just because it would mean I was living in LA. :)

• Gerry H says:

I play in a Sunday morning Over 35 league in Ottawa and also a couple of pickup games a week on Wednesday and Friday evenings. I am the guy on the right in my avatar (I am 51).

Have not played in almost three weeks due a combination of injuries and the transition from summer to fall schedule. I think this must be what being dead feels like.

• DEANDALLEY says:

I play 5 nights a week here in T.O.
      I’m 42 & can till play with the young guys ….

9. Trisomy 21 says:

No updates from Boone about the Rookie Scrimmage, but for those interested, the Red team wins 4-0 with goals from Brodeur, Beaulieu, Dumont and Walsh. Apparently sub-par performances coming from Avtsin, Tinordi and Beaulieu, despite potting a goal.

10. mike3131 says:

Might be a little late to ask but are there any fantasy hockey leagues among HIOers that I can join?

It’s not about the size of the dog in the fight; It’s about the size of the fight in the dog.

11. otter649 says:

I guess that kid who got knocked over by Toews is going to have quite a collection of Toews orginal souveniors etc……..lol

12. rated_R says:

Lolllll oh man I didn’t even c that. Gonna blame my iPhone. You guys are ***holes though

It’s the off season man, everyone and everything is fair game!

• Trisomy 21 says:

Yeah, sorry this isn’t the best time to be looking for good hockey talk (though it’s slowly getting better now that rookie camp has begun). But by all means post your line combinations and express what you believe we need in terms of grit, but we’ve heard it all in the last 3 months you shouldn’t expect much support/legitimate replies.
        Now if what you really want is hokey talk, well you’ve come to the right place.

13. db says:

Michael Landsbergs best article ever, and the best on TSN ever…

…about Landsbergs depression and his friend Wade.

EDIT: damn PST, I’m always late for everything

• JD_ says:

It is a very compellin’ read. No harm in re-postin’.

Landsberg is a textbook love-hate guy and I’d venture the latter meaningfully dominates among TSN viewers. I really don’t know, maybe times have changed.

I’ve always liked him because his arrogant schtick comes with a healthy dose of self-awareness. He absolutely knows how he comes across, and plays it to the point where he is almost a caricature of himself. In a subtle way, it’s a form of self-deprecation.

A couple of years ago, I came across a TSN piece where Landsberg not only described his own battle with depression – which came as a complete surprise to me – but, more importantly, how he was an advocate for men battlin’ depression, promotin’ the notion that it was ok to be open with it rather than be held down by the presumed stigma associated with the disease.

I went from bein’ a guy who liked watchin’ his show to an outright admirer.

I’ve heard stories that OTR was given to Landsberg cause nobody at TSN wanted to work with him, that the show was expected to fail, and that he would just skulk off. It’s nothin’ better than just a rumour. Whatever the case, it’s turned out to be a home run for a guy who obviously gets it.

14. avatar_58 says:

So umm….my new Subban MacFarlane figure it pretty sweet. Well that is except he has 2 right hands. I wish I were kidding….hahahaha.

I emailed the store asking wtf. How’s the dude suppose to hold his stick like that?

15. rated_R says:

What is this English class?

16. Mattyleg says:

My prediction for 2011-12?

PAIN!

Yours etc,
    Mr T

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Matty, I don’t know if I file this under garbage or hockey.

You make a good hockey point with prediction, but then you start quoting the great man himself Mr. T and I am left wondering about the late great Hannibal, Mr. George Peppard himself.

• Mattyleg says:

Did you know that Mr T once built a fence around his property, and his neighbour complained to the city, saying it was an eyesore. The city agreed, and had him take down the fence. Mr. T was so pissed off that he cut down ALL the trees on his property, and left the stumps, just to spite the guy.

I pity the fool that tells T to take down his fence.

True goddamn story.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LA Loyalist says:

“I pity the fool.”

William Shakespeare (or maybe Francis Back Bacon)

Okay Eric Engels is giving away tix for home opener based on a blog. We got some good writers here, I expect an HIO regular to win this thing. Go get em boys and girls.

18. rated_R says:

Cant people just stick to commenting on habs or hokey itself? More than half the post here are garbage.

19. caladin says:

Okay it’s a slow day.
    How do you see our power play units sorting out?

How about
    Pacs-Gomez-Cammi, Markov – Weber
    AK-DD-Gionta, Subban – Spacek?

I know Gomez isn’t ideal but I think Pleks is an elite penalty killer and not all that special on the PP.

Also not sure if Subban – Markov would work together, given that they are both best on the left side.

After reading that, what are the odds that Boston has two of these rare coupling of different species on their team?

• The Dude says:

I disagree with the assumption that the Neanderthal no longer exists after seeing the Republican tea party debate last night and if any one of those mofo’s take the Helm of the U.S.A in the near future then I’d say it’s time to build the next Great Wall!Someone should throw those Presidential wannabee’s in a car ,roll up the windows and then proceed too hot box the Tea Bagger out of them!

• REB says:

Funny, we say that about the Democrats, especially the pretender in office now.

• LA Loyalist says:

You will be welcomed in Cuba with open arms. How come you don’t want to go there?

• OneTimer says:

Hey everyone, check out Loyalist’s brilliant logic: critic of conservatives = communist! Where have I heard that logic before…in the 1950s… Hm…

• The Dude says:

Cuba?….L.A. ,I live in the 2nd largest Country in the whole wide world that’s population is only 36 million and who has 1/3 of the planets fresh water “the real gold,my friend!”,that ALSO happens to have PLENTY OF EVERYTHING ELSE”gold, diamonds,OIL ,etc etc etc” that IF PART OF THE U.S.A. would more than resolve it’s dept crisis for the next 100 years. And to the South of most bounty-full Country in the World ,live’s the Tea Party who would if they could turn Canada into another 50 states!No my friend I go where I want and when I want”maybe I’ll go buy a cheap house in the States ?”,”sorry, couldn’t help myself on dat one”. Here’s my problem with the Tea Party ….everything! Now if Bill Maher was your President that would be awesome!

• OneTimer says:

Also, he didn’t say he didn’t. Cuba has its pros and cons, just like where you live now.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The link gave away the punch line Timo, you should have used TinyURL.

Still got a chuckle when reading the link though.

The article itself is kind of cool, I’ve been wondering about this topic since reading “The Clan of the Cave Bear” and a couple of sequels. Good to see some answers being provided by studying the genome.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

20. avatar_58 says:

NHL12 changes are pretty sweet – Plek is better than Gomez now, Pacioretty and Subban are both better, Subban LOOKS like Subban now….

Yemelin is nowhere to be found though. The jets jersey is also locked.

21. Rugger says:

Last two days firefox crashes whenever I go to read comments the first time. Once it has crashed and I get back in, no problem. Anyone else having a problem, it does not happen on other sites, just here.

22. The Dude says:

Yes ,if you don’t suffer from depression you would find Landsbergs well written and heartfelt introspect interesting.Myself,well I am a sufferer; so nothing news to me here but to say this to any other sufferers, realize this about Depression….it’s a very selfish disease that tries to convince you that your life is not fixable and thus is not worth living.And the other lie it live’s by is the people in your life will “family,friends and in some cases strangers”be ok and things will pass. Well as a member of a family affected by suicide and as a person who has tried to kill himself ,I can’t tell you that things are ok but I can try too hang in there and work on it.Let your book finish ,you may one day like it’s ending! And stay away from tankers like Hard Habits !lol

• punkster says:

Hang in there Stephen.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Goderichab says:

Very touching and truthful comments by Lansberg. As a sufferer, nothing irks more than`snap out of it`
        There are many, including addictions, which common folk have no clue about, depression is another.
        If you have never been there, you have no right to comment.
        Compassion and understanding bonds two together not distain and ignorance.
        As a survivor of suicide, trying to explain to others is useless.

I remember the dynasties…

• kerrgte says:

I used to suffer from depression. I had lost my job, had recently been divorced, and didnt have much hope for anything.

My solution: (1) I kept up running and when running I forgot about my troubles; (2) I worked like hell to find a new job; (3) I worked like hell to define what I truly wanted in life; (4) I recognized that every single person has the potential to suffer from depression; (5) I recognized that I’m tougher than I thought and I can endure; (6) There are many beautiful things I see every day that bring me immense joy – such as children playing, birds behaving in silly ways, the wind in the trees, a colourful stone I found on the beach.

I never stopped trying. I found a better job with a better employer and a better salary. I found someone I am truly compatible with, I dont really want material things like I used to.

Above all, I recognize that the world does not revolve around me, everyone around me is just as important and going through the same life struggle.

Remember, every day of life is a gift. Some pretty wonderful people have had their lives cut short, so you’d better be thankful.

Now I have more money than I need, I’m living for my own principles of simplicity, self-reliance, honesty, and moderation in all things. I take immense pride in my two sons’ accomplishments and recognize that at my age of 63, it is the next generation that is important – mine isn’t really that important now.

I truly hope that this note will help you overcome depression and become a happy, productive person in all things.

• kerrgte says:

… just one more thing. I’ve been a Canadiens fan forever. The legends, the integrity of this best-in-class organization, the passion of the millions of world-wide fans, have been a constant companion.

There have been good years and there have been not-so-good years for les Canadiens, yet the players we respect and remember played their hearts out in each and every game. They overcame injuries and heartache to try and try some more.

Every day I ask myself what kind of player I want to be. Will I show up to give it my all or will I no longer try ?

So, answer the question.

• habaddict_andy says:

I admire your openness and you speak for many. Let’s see how your book will unfold Dude.

Edit: “Dude” did not come out right.

Go! Hockey! Go!

23. davecessna says:

“Uhhhh… take your base.”

Quite the read. Very well written and thought provoking.

The only issue is it seems suicide was not the C.O.D. with Mr. Belak.

Lots of sorrow for his wife and children.

24. Say Ash says:

Anybody seen this yet? Toews lays out an 8-year-old…

25. sauster says:

It seems like a natural next step in Jodoin’s career. Hopefully he’ll do some good in Hamilton and be the great sidekick a farm team coach can be for the big leagues.
    Communication is key here; the system and core values of the Habs need to trickle down to the Bulldogs and all of the coaching staff need to be on the same wave lengths.

TheHockeyRecord.com
    Recalling hockey records daily and taking an in-depth look at what they mean for the game of hockey.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

He was a good coach in Halifax for the Mooseheads way back when. They were a fun team to watch with Giguere in net, and Tanguay setting up and scoring and Jody Shelley beating the living snot out of whichever poor kid got in his way (and he scored some big goals too, good South West Nova Scotia kid, hard to move!)
      ____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!