Postcard II from Habs training camp

5416374.bin

That’s it for now.

Players will be available in 45 minutes, then Jacques Martin.

Most impressive in the scrimmage: Alexei Yemelin.

Erik Cole looked good also. And Jarred Tinordi. And Brock Trotter.

Shootout, Gusse vs. Mayer

Archambault scores on Mayer

Lefebvre stopped by Gusse

Avtsin stopped by Mayer

DeSimone goes high and scores on Gusse

Cammalleri  wrists one on Mayer

3-1 for Team B

Pleks hits the post!

Cole breezes past Spatcho

Winnet comes close!

Roof again

GOAL!

Winnet roofs it again on Gusse

•  •  •

Max-Pac drives the net and has a few words for Yemelin.

•  •  •

Yemelin is just laying people out.

Very impressive.

And Pleks blows a breakaway on Mayer

GOAL!

Massé in close on Mayer

GOAL!

Winnet goes roof on Gusse

Gusse vs. Mayer

A scoreless first half.

•  •  •

No goals, but lots of hitting

•  •  •

Yemelin BIG hip check on Max-Pac … who didn’t like it.

•  •  •

Trotter has made nifty passes

• •  •

Cole just undressed Fitzgerald

•  •  •

Yemelin left his feet to belt Schultz in the slot.

•  •  •

Ellis looks good on the right point.

•  •  •

Tinordi laid a big lick on someone.

Price robs Trotter

•  •  •

Martin McGuire of 98,5 FM has tried to start a Gomez trade rumour.

“Three-team deal. They’re packing up his jerseys at the Bell Centre boutique.”

•  •  •

Conboy gets tangled up with Cole and goes head-first into the boards.

Solid shifts for Yemelin, Diaz

Tinordi got Gionta

No Gomez.

Budaj vs. Price

•  •  •

Fans are streaming into the grandstand seats.

•  •  •

They’ve opened the doors for the Zamboni and the players have gone to the room.

Scrimmage in 14 minutes.

You can cut the tension with a knife.

One from the pressbox:

Journalist 1, noting fingers flying across keyboards to record training camp personnel combos: “Oh man, we’re doing lines!”

Journalist 2: ”I wish we were doing lines.”

The season is doomed!

Mark Mitera got up slowly after a collision in the crease.

•  •  •

Looking good in one-on-one drills: Pleks.

Alexei Yemelin is wearing SK’s lucky no. 74

•  •  •

Team A combos:  Tinordi-Ellis, Yemelin-Mitera, Gill-Weber | Plekanec-Cammalleri-Willsie, Avtsin-Blunden-Berger, Winnet-Walsh-Archambault,

•  •  •

Capacity at the rink: 800 seats for the scrimmage, plus 400 to watch from outside the glass.

The camp rosters:

•  •  •

Jarred Tinordi, Hal Gill, Alain Berger and a whole lotta little guys.

First out: Tomas Plekanec

First coach out: Goaltending guru Pierre Groulx.

•  •  •

And the Bell training complex in Brossard is packed, with fans lined up to get grandstand seats for the morning practice and 11 a.m. scrimmage.

Is this a hockey town or what?

•  •  •

Usually reliable sources report Jaro Spacek has come to camp in great shaped.

“Ripped” is the scouting report.

•  •  •

Your intrepid correspondent took the Mercier Bridge this morning because there’s construction on the Champlain.

Bad idea.

Very bad idea.

I’ll spare readers the gruesome details. Suffice it to say I saw more of the South Shore than anyone would ever want to.

1. faimi says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

2. geo_habsgo says:

Luca Ciampini of the Q has already notched himself 7 points in his first 3 games with the Halifax Mooseheads. He is in his sophmore season with the junior team and is coming off a disappointing injury riddled season where he notched 8 goals and 11 assists for 19 points in 37 games. I’d say if he is able to keep up this pace he might be an interesting draft prospect for the Habs come June.

3. Chris says:

Wait…how can Yemelin have been the most impressive today after he was so disrespectful to show up overweight and out of shape.

You mean a guy’s physique isn’t 100% linked to his ON-ICE play?

Oh the humanity. I don’t have any idea what to do with myself now…my whole world has been rocked off its axis.

Wake me up when pre-season is over. I have a feeling there will be a lot more stupidity to endure between now and the season opener.

4. ProHabs says:

Anybody know what kind of shape Ian Schulz showed up to camp in. I recall hearing in the past that he doesn’t always take conditioning as serious as he should.

5. ooder says:

glad to see Yemelin is doing what has been promised… as long as he doesn’t hurt anyone.
    Can’t wait to see him go up against other teams.
    as for the Doughty contract talks… hmm i wonder what the reactions would be if Doughty was European and not a good ol’ Canadian boy.
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

6. JD_ says:

Emmy sounds a little uppity and disrespectful. Joffrey Lupul has already heard some mutterin’ around the league.

I’m eyeballin’ JM will ruin* him by game 12 of the regular season.

* bench

7. HabFab says:

For the people wondering about Ian Schultz…apparently in the first half, he had 4 out of the 8 shots for his White Team and then scored in the second half.
    But can he still fight? ;)

8. slychard says:

My name is Sylvain and I have the same problem as Mike and Andrew… Although I live in Florida… Is that a good excuse?

9. HabFab says:

As for Yemelin hitting hard. Remember this time last season PK put Hunter out with a concussion and he never really did get going last season.
    Also PK POed Pleks twice in practices with hard hits.

10. sag says:

Thanks for the hit Boone

11. sag says:

My memory of him will always be a post on here a long time ago that made me spit my drink everywhere. Someone said he is waiting for the moment that it is revealed Spacec is an elaborate Dan Akroid gag.

No denying the glacier like speed of he and Gill,Timo.

Anyone wants to practice their “Player X blows by Spacek” line? :) Made me LOL. Don’t get me wrong, I like Spacek… he seems like a good guy, just approaching Hal Gill speed territory.

Like I said before. By year’s end we’ll be calling him sPAYCHECK.

14. savethepuck says:

Price v Budaj 0-0. Change goalies and the goals start coming. I think that’s a good thing.

15. sag says:

If Yemelin is hitting his own team with such abandon, I can’t wait to see what he does to the other teams. Between him and PK, we finally have a couple of trucks on the back end that will keep offences a little more honest

I like to hear that Spacek has reported to camp ripped. I have a soft spot for him from his performance in the Wash and Pitts series’ a couple of years ago. Looks like he may be playing solid minutes to start the year.

At the golf tournament, MP67 said he was looking forward to fetting that first big hit and that one of his teammates may have to do it – careful what you wish for!

• DearyLeary says:

I think it’ll be good for Patches long term to just get any doubts out of the way.

They’ll be fine once they cut the team down to preseason game size.

• savethepuck says:

I agree that Spac had a great playoff in 2010. I don’t think he sucks near as bad as a lot of posters here do. He battled some injuries last year and probably realizes you have to intensify your summer training schedule as you get older.

• sag says:

And he has played on his off side since he was acquired. That is tough to do at any level, let alone the NHL. Especially when trying to win puck battles along the boards and keeping the puck in at the blue line. His Olympic performance was amazing as well.
        Gorges is another one that I have to defend all the time to people who dont seem to appreciate some types of players.

HH – I couldnt find the support group link. I guess I will have to wait for treatment at the summit. Boone sounds like he could be our resident pharmacist.

16. WestHab says:

I’m back and buzzed cause I scored my tix for the March 6 game here in Calgary. Should be warmer this time and hoping for a better result.

17. geo_habsgo says:

Wow. Yemelin is sounding like a freaking force thus far! A hitting machine. Haha as long as he doesn’t injure somebody from our team I think we’re in for a treat with him.

18. sag says:

You know you are starved for the habs when you are refreshing the page to read game notes from a pre-season scrimmage….My name is andrew and I have a problem

19. Mr_MacDougall says:

Crazy Fans… Imagine, you expect a guy to come into TRAINING CAMP in stellar condition… Yemelin is in decent shape.. and with a few weeks of working out he will be lean. Give the guy a break, conditioning/training camp is when you get in shape to be ready for the season.

20. scrowe21 says:

“Yemelin left his feet to belt Schultz in the slot.”

Nice! lol

I think the headmaster is taking his new job a little too seriously.

An end of day wrap-up will suffice!

It’s now officially past 11AM, Mike. Sit back and have a cold one.

22. scrowe21 says:

No Gomez? Tinordi laid a big hit on “someone” ?

23. Chrisadiens says:

Boone don’t get us worked up about a Gomez rumor!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

24. Mike D says:

Care to elaborate on the “No Gomez” remark? If he’s not there, why?

- Honestly yours

25. since1988 says:

!Boone you should set up a postcard like one of your live game blogs!

Also so happy hockey is back. Cant wait for the season to start.

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
    - Mathieu Darche

Well based on the practise teams sure looks like all that tweaking we did all summer paid off!

Appears to be Cole/Camm/Pleck, Mpac/Gome/Gio and AK/Eller/DD.

So obviously PG/JM are reading all our posts. Nice to know what a contribution we all have to this roster and its formation.

27. slychard says:

This is great had the broadest smirk reading this postcard. Thank you all the way from the southernmost point in the continental USofA key west. Damn wish I was there!

28. scrowe21 says:

Who hit Mitera? How does Pacioretty look?

29. west islanders are such frigging n00bs

TAKE THE VICTORIA

gets you right onto victoria

keep going

lapinierre

keep going

boom your there

“Suffice it to say I saw more of the South Shore than anyone would ever want to.”

please perpetuate, we dont mind

30. SmartDog says:

Thanks SamtheMan for some great advice on attending these practices. Gonna pack the kids in the car tomorrow or Monday. Can’t wait to see the guys on the ice!!

• Chrisadiens says:

Is a 5 hour drive worth it for a scrimmage? Im starting to think so. Have fun SD, give us some updates yea?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• SmartDog says:

Well, one thing Sam said is that it’ll be less crowded on ‘regular’ training days so you might be more likely to get an autograph or see the team closer. Of course, it’ll be more exciting this week-ed.

With 3 small kids, for me, it’s a much better option than taking them to a game! Almost as exciting for them – and much more managable (and cheaper) for me! I’ll let you know how it goes.

*****WARNING: Testing out new dog icons for the coming season. *****