Postcard from camp

Louis Leblanc at Canadiens development camp on Tuesday.
Pierre Obendrauf, Gazette

As befits a Harvard man, Louis Leblanc will devote some of his summer to thinking.

The Canadiens’ first draft choice in 2009 has completed his freshman year at great Ivy League university. Leblanc must weigh options that include:

• Returning to the Crimson for a sophomore season

• Playing in the Q, where his rights belong to Chicoutimi

• Turning pro and likely spending a season with the Hamilton Bulldogs

Scrummed at Day 1 of the Canadiens development camp, the highest-drafted player on hand would not commit himself to one course of action or another.

Leblanc, who turned 19 in January, said he would consider pros and cons before deciding what would be best for his development.

His stall neighbour – and former USHL teammate – was more definitive.

“I’m the best right winger in Camp,” Danny Kristo crowed, hastily adding “because there are six centres, five left wings and I’m the only right wing here.”

Chalk up another first-round bust.

David Fischer, the
Canadiens’ top draft choice in 2006 (20th overall, two spots ahead of of
Claude Giroux) has not been invited to camp.

The Canadiens have
until Aug. 15 to sign the University of Minnesota defenceman … or not.

The
team has released Dman Nicklas Torp, their sixth-round draft choice
(163rd overall) in 2007 and Jason Missiaen, a beanpole goaltender picked
in the fourth round (118) of the 2008 draft.

•  •  •

The
Russians aren’t coming, the Russians aren’t coming,

Canadiens PR
guy Dom Saillant says “let’s put it this way: it’s more complicated to
get them here than others.”

•  •  •

One-on-ones:

Olivier
Fortier schooled Gabriel Dumont.

Also impressive: Louis Leblanc
on Michael Cichy. And Danny Cristo on Tanner House (who edges Hunter
Bishop for Best Name at Camp).

•  •  •

Worst thing about
coming to Brossard:

On the Champlain Bridge approach, the giant
TekSavvy billboard featuring the smiling face of Georges Laraque.

•  •

Guy Boucher is attending to family matters and will not be
at development camp until Thursday.

General Manager Pierre
Gauthier will be here on Friday.

•  •  •

Players are
available at 5 p.m.

Safe bet Louis Leblanc will attract the
biggest scrum.

•  •  •

Congrats to good guy Marc De Foy,
locked out Journal de Montrèal beat man, who has won the Elmer Ferguson
Award and election to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

When asked which
cap he’d wear to the HoF ceremony, De Foy said “RueFrontenac, hostie!”

1. Exit716 says:

So Montreal took him anyways.

2. PeterStone says:

yup, read that book. David Fischer … Not Draftable was the words stamped next to his name by many scouts.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Why should we let the Pens rip us off? Markov, Top 5 or 10 NHL defencemen depending upon who you ask, Staal not a Top 20 Centre outside of his agent, close family and Pens fans, got drafted at #2 because of his brother’s name.

Not a natural scorer nor does he have playmaker’s vision, I don’t care how good of a penalty killer he is, he doesn’t have the scoring assets of a centre to deliver what the team would require from him. Markov is needed to direct the power play, eat ice time, lead the defence and most importantly for next year, mentor P.K. Subban, the next great skating defencemen of Montreal should be instructed by the best we have now.

We acquire Staal, we get a 2nd team PP guy whose only flirtation with 30 goals was when he played next to Evgeni Malkin and a great PK man. We lose Markov, we lose our PP and our record goes right below .500 as we all wonder what the hell went wrong when we let our best defencemen go and let it all fall on the head of P.K. Subban to be only our top blueliner. Trying to make it by with one top-ranked defencemen is why the team has such a **** record when Markov isn’t around. Not to mention Subban isn’t fully ready for the responsiblity and shouldn’t have to be.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. habs03 says:

Exactly, I also think he’ll be gone by pick 27 but whatever team that drafts him is either going to be thought of as being genius or having missed another one..

When you live in Montreal you can talk. Seriously. I pass by the Bell Centre almost everyday. Talk to me about my city’s team some more and tell me what and how we should think.

6. diehardhab says:

If gonchar doesnt resign with the pens maybe we can pull a markov for staal?

The torch be yours to hold it high!

7. Mad Habber says:

Kabanov’s attitude aren’t as bad as the seem. My understanding was he left Russia to play for Moncton (to show NHL teams he wanted to play in the NHL) then left Moncton, because he knew playing in the CHL meant not playing for the Russia WJC squad (which he got left off of anyway).

Last I heard he was saying “Run to North America” to Russian prospects. I don’t know if he would be there at 27, I think he’ll be gone sooner, but if he is and there aren’t any more or equally skilled/less risk guys, then why wouldn’t they take him. Only so we can hear how they passed on him for Sheahan who is going to be a really good checking liner..

8. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Who is going to be signed in the off-season is the biggest issue with the Habs? I hope management comes forward soon and let Habs fans know what direction this team is heading for 2011. A big centre is a must that will give this team a much needed boost to the other top 5 forwards. A block buster trade could benefit the way Habs might deal in acquiring the right guy. Who will be the first to be traded? Who will be the first to be signed?

9. slapshot777 says:

Try reading it the right way instead for a change. He said,

Dany Kristo, will be okay. Right now the Habs have bigger decisions to attend to.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

10. habs03 says:

To add, on just how tricky the draft is, I’ve been reading about prospect Kiril Kabanov who plays with Moncton  Wildcats, came from Russia to play juniors, great skill, size 6’3. He would be one of the top prospect but most likely will fall due to attitude problem, I doubt he will be still there at 27, but what if we were picking 15ish, would you draft him or not. If drafted he could be the next A.Kost, if not could be the next missed one. It so easy to look at things in so many years later.

11. habs03 says:

To everyone that calling for the firing Trimmins and so forth. Our prospect depth has only increased since his arrival, I really don’t care if he goes or not, but you can’t fire someone unless you have someone better to replace him, and for most of us fans, our knowledge of scouts isn’t that best, so I hope the people in charge hire the right people for the right jobs. And I’m so sick of people talking about 2003 and so forth. It happens to every team, we were not the only team that passed on Carter, Richards, Giroux, etc, I wouldn’t go as far as saying drafting is just lucky because it takes a lot of hard work and judge of early talent, but every team hits home runs with picks and strikes out with others, ex Flyers are actually rated the 28th team in prospect ranking, go figure with picks of Richards, Carter and Giroux. We have missed on picks and have hit home runs also, Kristo was a go to player on the U.S. Junior team. Fan favorite P.K. was a drafted 43th of the 2nd round, just in the 2nd round there were 5 D-man taken before him, thats 5 D-men in picks 31-42, I guess those scout should be fired too.

12. ooder says:

imo drafting players hasn’t been the biggest weakness of the organization.

it’s been player development and the fact that MTL is a really intense place to play for a young player

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

13. ooder says:

oohh.. haha this guy has a sense of humour

——————

14. Mad Habber says:

He is the only RW prospect there, therefore he is the best & the worst. lol…

15. Mad Habber says:

Ever read “Future Greats and Heart Breaks” by Gary Joyce. It’s interesting as he talks about that draft, Columbus let him sit in on there draft prep and they had him as a none draft along with alot of other teams (according to him).

I’m not critizing the scouting staff however, they’ve missed on quite a few prospects but they could be worse. I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that the Canadiens are one of the teams with the most drafted prospects (second I think to Colorado) in the league. Not all of them are playing for the Habs of course.

Development has been the big let down as far as I’m concerned..

16. Mad Habber says:

While I hope for the best with LeBlanc, but there is nothing like rushing the guy. How many times has that happened over the past couple of years. I’d rather he went back to college or preferable played in the Q.

17. Slovak says:

Well, well,

just in time, another nice useless debate in many lost directions down here, blabla potential here potential there, ok people did that damned Halak signed already that damned manymultimillion contract that will ruin Montreal and kids of your kids and their kids and my kids /actually no my kinds no/ will be paying for his contract till the darkest bloody time of afternoon games or what?

18. ed lopaz says:

leblanc’s choice is between harvard and hamilton – sounds like a joke someone would tell in a bar – but I digress.

here’s my thinking – I have a little inside info but not much.

he’ll be signing and going to hamilton.

forget the Q – why would he play there if the habs want him in hamilton – not an option.

if he was going back to harvard he would have come to camp much more committed to that position.

I’ll be the first to post it.

Leblanc will sign his first pro contract and play in Hamilton.

He will be called up for a few games this season.

He will be a fixture in our lineup by 2011 season.

There’s our #2 center – no long term deal for plekanec – he’s gone as long as gomez stays.

19. ooder says:

oh ok..

i just didn’t read that anywhere.

i am sure he will be fine.. kristo is the last propsect i am worried about

——————

20. ooder says:

why do you say that?

——————

21. crabvader says:

Are you really worried about Kristo?

The kid is insane on the ice.

22. crabvader says:

Jason Missiaen and Nicholas Torp are being released…

Not too pleased about Torp being gone…

23. kempie says:

Mmmmmmmm, Holmstrom.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Has been? Martin St. Louis has scored more than Vincent Lecavalier in the last 5 years. While I believe St. Louis isn’t what we need because of size issues but St. Louis is the opposite of a has been.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. nightmare_49 says:

WOW – Panthers’ F Kamil Kreps to Karpat / Litter Box http://www.litterboxcats.com/ …….. Sergei Samsonov On The Way Out? / Canes Country http://www.canescountry.com/

26. homerbowen says:

OK, keep Boucher in Hamilton and leave Martin St Louis in Tampa we do not need any more small has beens.

27. pmaraw says:

man, I would go crazy everytime I saw Higgins get a breakaway, for awhile there he seemed like the only one on the team who could do it…  and then he’d flub the shot EVERYTIME until it got to the point where I was like “oh god, higgins has another breakaway… way to kill time off the clock with it, we are losing you idiot, couldn’t you have tried at least one deke?”

28. sh00n says:

Really? Better ink up Halak for 35 years at 120 mill per then, seeing as he scored all our goals during the year too!

29. G-Man says:

More hockey knowledge from the cognescenti.

30. zak says:

Smurf hockey didn,t get us into the playoffs, Halak did. Do you really think Gomez is worth 8 mil…..

31. ooder says:

he is deffinately one of the best.. but the wings are very tight up against the cap

like Andrew i thought he would take less to help the wings out

——————

32. ooder says:

ya i thought the same thing… which is why i think he is a little overpaid

——————

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrew, Calgary traded for him because Darryl Sutter has just gone bat**** insane over the last few months and was desperate for anyone who looked like they might put a puck in the net.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. mike g says:

When Lidstrom is making 6 mill and Hamrlik is making 5.25, that is not a penny overpaid.

You can probably take the Wings to court for robbery as a matter of fact….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Perhaps he’s thinking about what he’s going to do in retirement and thought it would be cool if he could own the entire SEL.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. GrimJim says:

Yeah, but with 6 million more, he gets steak knives…

37. joeybarrie says:

Is this for sure? If so, they are gonna have a problem signing Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, and 6 others with only 10 million MAX to use…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

38. B says:

I am not sure if your expectations and claims are realistic. Outside of the handful of top prospects each draft, the rest is really a crap shoot, especially if you lack top drafting positions. Players aged 21-23 would be basically from the draft years 2005-2007. How many players from those drafts have scored 20 goals in an NHL season (and how many of those were not from high picks)? I decided to look for those 20 goal scorers:

From the 2007 draft, only 4, Kane, Sutter, Perron and Benn (a 5th rounder). Montreal picked 3 forwards in this draft and I have not given up on Pacioretty becoming a productive NHLer yet. Fortier seems to be a wash out, but Conboy may yet see the NHL.

From the 2006 draft, only 9 have done it (Berglund, Stewart, Little, Frolik, Mueller, Kessel, Backstrom, Toews
    and Staal). That leaves 21 teams like Montreal without one of them. I noted that Montreal only drafted 2 forwards this draft, Maxwell and White, both of whom are later picks that stand a good chance of making the NHL.

Finally going back to the 2005 draft, only 3 players from that draft have scored more goals than Montreal drafted Latendresse (Crosby, Kopitar and Stastny). I was hoping they would take Kopitar with their lucky high lottery result, but they surprised me with Price instead. Only 5 more from this draft (Setoguchi, Ryan, Neal, Downie and Bergfors) have managed to score 20 times in an NHL season. Latendresse was of course traded, but Pouliot who came back scored 17 times last season. While that 17 is not quite 20, he is already more than a”10 goal a year scorers at most”. D’Agostini from that draft is gone, but he scored more than 10 as a rookie. S.Kostitsyn from that draft is capable of scoring more than 20 in the NHL, but if that does happen it is not likely to be for Montreal.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

He leads his team in ice time and is still one of the 3 best defencemen in the NHL, I’d say he’s worth the investment. I was pretty sure he was taking at least one more year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he hangs around for 1-2 years after next season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. mike g says:

Calgary got him because that was the only recyled player they could get for that piece of garbage Jokinen.

If that’s all you can fetch for Jokinen, it tells you alot about both players. Jokinen at least had an impact on NY’s chase towards the playoffs. Higgins, once again, did nothing to help the Flames chase 8th place.

I have nothing against the guy, but he’s not a very good hockey player. He was supposed to be a 30 goal scorer, maybe unfair expectations IMO, but he never lived up to it with huge minutes. And, if you remember he always had 2 breakaways per game and never scored. In NY, it was supposed to be the old “change of scenery”, and help his carrer playing in his home state. Nothing, nada. Then Calgary was supposed to try help him, and he once again did nothing. As far as I can see, he’s not really suited as a 3rd line player. He’s really not durable as he often gets hurt.

I don’t know, there’s just something big that he’s missing. Everyone wants to figure out what it is and make him into an excellent player. But nobody can find it…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

41. joeybarrie says:

Keep Boucher, and get Martin St.Louis from Tampa. GREAT ARTICLE. LETS DO IT…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

42. joeybarrie says:

How in the world can you say Habs are going the usual route of CHEAP, yet cry so many times about Gomez’ big contract???????

Try to remember the smurf hockey got us into the Conference Finals, and are picking 3rd from last in the draft… Which I believe by the NHL Playoff standard means we are the 3rd best team…

By the way, can you give me even one tiny peice of information that shown we are going to go cheap and small??? Where exactly did you get this forcast?  From the same place that you get most of your incorrect and misleading nonsense???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

43. andrewberkshire says:

I really thought he would take less money in order to help the Red Wings out with the Cap since he’s made $87.965 million in his career.

44. ooder says:

Lidstrom signs for one year at 6 million

down from the 7.4 he made last year.

a little overpaid but hey, the guys a legend

——————

45. andrewberkshire says:

Who said Calgary doesn’t want him? Calgary traded for him precisely because they did want him. He was also the biggest chip in the Gomez trade since McDonagh is an unknown quantity. Earlier in the year TSN did a breakdown of players who contribute the most to their teams via intangibles that usually aren’t measured, and Chris Higgins was in the top 10. This is while he was having the worst season of his career. And fyi, it’s been two bad seasons, not three. In 07-08 Higgins was awesome.

46. SeriousFan09 says:

I was hoping to see Higgins turn it around this year in Montreal when last season ended and wished him well on his way to NY when the trade happened, I always liked him. Gomez’s cap hit is a stinger but the cap is going up by 2 million this year, which helps negate the effects of his contract. I don’t like his contract, but I’m satisfied with any player who does his best all year around which is what Gomez does.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. G-Man says:

Repeat ad nauseum. Repeat ad nauseum. Etc.

48. G-Man says:

Higgins is a night life guy. Let him do it where it won’t cost the Habs hockey games, like Toronto.

49. Hockey Socks says:

Danny Kristo reminds me a lot of Cammalleri.

50. pic1983 says:

you look at higgins as the big loss in the gomez deal?

Personally, I find the 7.3 million of cap space, and the solid defensive prospect to be the bigger loss.  Even if Mcdonagh doesnt pan out, id still like that 7.3 million back more than anything in that deal.

That being said, I agree that id love to have higgins back in a third line role for $2 million or less.  Unfortunately, I think we all know that some stupid team will offer him $2.5 or more.

51. HabsProf says:

Here’s an article from SI’s Allan Muir, talking about head coaching prospects.  He has an interesting take on the guy we are all curious about:  Hamilton’s Guy Boucher.

_____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

52. mike g says:

LMAO….r u serious?

“Maybe he’s in a slump”. Listen, I’m not player development expert or anything, but a slump doesn’t last for 3 years. He’s got a very bad attitude for starters. When things don’t go his way offensively, he tries to be physical, defensive, and gets away from his game. Din’t work here or in NY, and he had a ton of chances….

He didn’t impress in MTL, NY dumped him in the trash can, and CGY doesn’t want him….tells u alot

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

53. pic1983 says:

Good point, but drafting is only one part of the equation.

If detroit drafts terribly, they certainly develop their talent well.

54. nunacanadien says:

It sounds like the Habs are going to go the old route again, go cheap, buy cheap, and hope to win big.  This tells me, expect more signings of small forwards and skinny defensemen, as the Habs are still experimenting with smurf hockey.

55. gumper says:

I took it to mean that none of the Russian prospects will be coming to the development camp. Hope that’s what it means, because it sounded hopeful that Yemelin would be coming over this fall.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s not like the guy has any leverage for a new contract, he can play as a two-way forward and is capable of a 20 goal season and that isn’t nothing, especially in this league where every cent counts, have him back cheap and get him going again. It would also be pretty funny if we basically get back what we traded for Gomez.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. joeybarrie says:

Higgins is not a bad player. He had a great season, and we expected he would do it again.  Maybe he is in a slump. He can average 40 points a season. Maybe more. As long as we don’t pay him alot, and don’t expect 2nd line numbers, I would love to have him back. 2.25 is to much. 1.25 – 1.5 might be worth it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

58. SLONCOLD says:

drafting is overated…. ask toronto… wait a minute…lol

59. pic1983 says:

Its drafting or development…theres clearly an issue somewhere there.

60. Y says:

So no Yemelin?

Mediocrity seems to be the new credo

61. mike g says:

I agree…

What freaks me out the most about the draft, is how everyone pulls a stiff when they talk about Detroit. It’s like “OMG, the Wings are the best drafting team in the world. They are the best, they are the best, blah blah blah..”. It’s called luck my friends…check this out:

-Philly’s last 12 FIRST round picks (who’ve made an impact):  Simon Gagne, Justin Williams, Joni Pitkanen, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, James VanRiemsdyk.

-Detroi’s last 12 FIRST rounders (who’ve made an impact): Nick Kronwall.

That’s right people, 1 first rounder in the past 12 drafts has made an impact in the NHL for the DETROIT RED WINGS. Are they really the kings of the draft? Or are the Flyers the champs, looking at the stars they’ve been able to grab. Are the Wings just lucky that they get gems in the 9th round?

Who knows, but I’ll tell you that Philly impresses me big time when it comes to drafting in the 1st round..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

62. andrewberkshire says:

If Higgins would be willing to sign for <1.5 million a year on a short contract, I would love to have him back. As a bottom 6 player he’s very good, and there’s always the chance that he rediscovers his goal scoring touch. He’s a big guy who’s fast and physical as well. If we’re not expecting top 6 production, and he’s not partying all the time, he’s exactly the kind of guy we need.

63. SLONCOLD says:

Jason Missiaen is 6’8… lol

64. MikeMcLaren says:

Unless there’s some sort of dressing room problem that we don’t know about, or a committment to fitness that wasn’t adhered to, I would be fine with Higgins coming back with lowered expectations.

I thought he was great on the Penalty Kill.  He’s a very good third line player.

And the Habs are his favorite team and his dad’s.  I always think that counts for something.  It helped P.K. Subban’s case with Habs fans everywhere.

It would be like the Flyers having Desjardins, Leclair *and* Recchi, we’d have Gomez, Pyatt and Higgins.  LOL

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

65. cautiousoptimist says:

If they’re going to fire Timmins, it would be crazy to do it now, and then head into the draft with no scouts and no scouting info.  The fired scouts surely make regular reports to Timmins, so he’s the guy with the info, and the underlings were expendable — besides, how much June hockey were they going to scout before the draft, anyway?  By firing them now, the Habs save a bit of money that would have gotten them zero extra scouting info.  Smart move, if the plan is to replace them — not so smart if the plan is to replace them with camcorders.

As for Timmins, the jury’s still out,a nd aside from a couple of disastrous years in 03 and 04, his record really hasn’t been worse than average in the last few years.  Subban was a huge steal at 43rd overall, Leblanc and Kristo look promising, Trunev was a star for Russia at the 2010 WJC,  McDonagh was packaged with Higgins for Gomez and Pyatt which is just fine in my book, and I’m not ready to write off Pacioretty or Weber.  Could we have done better?  Probably, and maybe it’s time for Timmins to move on.  But while there are certainly a handful of can’t-miss picks every year, those guys are almost always gone by the time a middle-of-the-road team like the Habs gets to choose. And when you’re picking between a bunch of guys who are all projected to be 10th to 20th overall, all of whom have the skills, there’s a real element of luck in there.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  66. BJ says:

Short interview with Mac Bennett. He’s well spoken, hoping his play takes him up to the big team.

67. mike g says:

Wow, this site has gone crazy today…

Some want Higgins back (barf, seriously the guy is a pathetic hockey player), some saying Pleks was not our MVP for the WHOLE season last year, and now no prospects are showing up at the camp….

Guys, relax. It’s a long offseason, filled with “OMG, why did we draft him instead of him”, and a bunch of “WTF!, we signed no free agents on July 1!”…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

68. mezzi14 says:

The only other players on that list that will probably be solid NHL players will be: Bennett, Kristo & Leblanc if he works harder off the ice and gains muscle.

” They call me Drew”

69. SeriousFan09 says:

Leblanc, Kristo have Top-6 provided their development continues, Avtsin has size and had great scoring in junior hockey before joining the KHL and was PPG in the league under the KHL when he served time there during points in the season. Joonas Nattinen might make the leap to Top 6 as well, Steve Qualier will take longer after blowing his ACL and missing his Sophmore season in NCAA hockey but he might have the upside. Engqvist might be the gate-crashing forward the Canadiens need as well. Got some prospects, Mac Bennett could have a good future as well.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

70. aemarchand11 says:

PK Subban was 15th last season I think. It’s all about how they improve in that season. Emelin could be a top pairing defenceman if he came to North America. But thats the key, will he ever come.

-Halak it alot because the Price is right-

71. habs001 says:

hopefully the future prospects will develop..biggest failure has been that we do not have one forward prospect we drafted who is between 21-23 and is able to score 20 goals in the nhl…in this age group our prospects are 10 goal a year scorers at most

72. LeNordique says:

Maybe some here is better informed than I am but beyond Subban I don’t see anyone with the potential to be a top-6 forward or top-2 defenseman.

73. lavie says:

16. Gabriel Dumont, C
      17. Alexander Avtsin, RW
      18. David Desharnais, C
      19. Maxim Trunev, RW
      20. Alexei Yemelin, D

Postcard from camp

Playing soccer in the sunshine behind the Sportplex 4-Glaces: Tomas Plekanec, Roman Hamrlik, Mike Komisarek.

And the parking lot is full already.

•  •  •

Lines to watch: Plekanec with the Kostitsyn brothers, Robert Lang centring Alex Kovalev and Guillaume Latendresse.

Also Kyle Chipchura, who’s trying to win a job, with Gregory Stewart and Tom Kostopoulos.

An interesting defence pairing on Team A: Pavel Valentenko and Yannick Weber.

•  •  •

First prediction of the season:

Plekanec will play with the Brothers K. Sergei and Andrei are great together, and if Pleks  can figure them out – as opposed to going nuts, like he did with Boris and Natasha two years ago – the line will flat-out fly.

I think Lang will centre the two Alexes, and Latendresse will play with Koivu and Higgins.

The fourth line, most nights, will be Bégin, Lapierre and Laraque. Kostopoulos and Chipchura in the pressbox. Dandenault dealt.

The defence pairings are set, with Brisebois as an extra.

So everything is set. Let’s start the season.

•  •  •

Alex Tanguay is the first number 13 since Billy Boucher in 1921-’22.

Notable 17’s preceding Georges Laraque: Jason Ward, Benoit Brunet, John LeClair, Craig Ludwig, Rod Langway, Murray Wilson, Larry Pleau, Phil Roberto.

Some number 20s before Robert Lang: Bryan Smolinski, Mike Johnson, Richard Zednik, Valeri Bure, Craig Conroy, Sylvain Turgeon, Jyrki Lumme, Mark Hunter, Cam Connor, Pete Mahovlick, Bob Berry, Dave Balon, Phil Goyette and the immortal P.J. Stock.

Canadiens VP of communications Donald Beauchamp was in the press room telling us about Roberval.

The game against the Sabres will be played in an arena that seats 1,000. That’s fewer fans than are here watching the scrimmage today.

Canadiens Team A will fly out of Halifax Monday night after the game against Boston. They’ll have a morning skate – unsual during exhibition season – Tuesday in Roberval.

Fearless prediction: No one will be in school in Roberval that morning.

•  •  •

Beauchamp also said the team will announce its full slate of centennial activities on Wednesday afternoon.

Still to be confirmed: a game at Olympic Stadium in December, 2009.