Postcard, video, audio from camp

upload_feedback-1

Today’s video lineup leads off with Michael Cammalleri:

Carey Price talks about coping without Andrei Markov:

Scott Gomez talks about Brendan Shanahan:

Max Pacioretty talks about reuniting with his linemates:

AUDIO: Brendan Gallagher, David Desharnais, Jacques Martin I and II

•  •  •

Practice at 10:30.

Goaltenders were out early.

•  •  •

D Drill: Two gloves on the ice, each 10 m from the red line.

D-men skate backwards, Randy Ladouceur feeds them pucks and they circle around the gloves.

•  •  •

Forwards drilling on puck control in constrained spaces, moving it between sticks set a metre apart of the ice.

•  •  •

That’s a relief!

Raitins Ivanans clearned for contact – doubtless his chin to comeone’s fist – at the Calgary camp.

•  •  •

Yannick Weber skating at forward again today, with Mathieu Darche and Lars Eller.

AK46 with DD and Brendan Gallagher.

Top 6 intact, Bournival, Engqvist and Blunden

D pairings:  Gill-Subban, Gorges-Campoli, Spacek-Diaz, Yemelin-Woywitka, Henry-St-Denis.

•  •  •

Ryan Kesler will appear nude in ESPN magazine.

The fully-clothed Pierre Lebrun sizes up the Canadiens.

•  •  •

One from the pressbox:

“What are the defence pairings?”

“P.K. and Gill, Markov and Graham Rynbend.”

•  •  •

Kevin Allen of USA Today on 10 Players with Someting to Prove.

On Scott Gomez:

When a player is performing at a high level, there’s no better place than Montreal. The hockey atmosphere is indescribable. The city embraces players with family-like affection.

But Gomez understands fully the other side of that relationship. When a player doesn’t live up to expectation, fans in Montreal can be harsh critics. Producing seven goals and 38 points last season, Gomez has been a hot topic for Canadiens fans.

The point total was, by far, the worst of his career, as was his minus 15 rating.

With three seasons remaining on a contract paying him a little more than $7 million a season, Gomez needs a big season to win back fans. He had averaged roughly 62 points a season over his previous four seasons before slumping badly in 2010-11.

Loved the baseball drama last night. Pretty neat that with such a long reg. season there can be great drama on the final night.

Of course, humour was added when the kid in Tampa hit the tying home run as a pinch hitter, but the fan was cheering with hands up and took the baseball in the groin! Simple humour for a simple fan like me I guess.

• RetroMikey says:

Baseball is so boring! Why wait until the last 5 games or so to see drama in a 162 game schedule? What is the purpose of playing so many games?
      The best sport is NFL football.
      16 weeks of physical, gruelling action! Players give it their all and every game is so important!
      Not like baseball, hockey or basketball…..players can float throughout the season and then step it up slightly when playoffs are looming.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

2. christophor says:

On the claim that last night’s baseball dramatics were the greatest ever in sport: I’ll be screamed at for this (especially because of the length of this post) but the 2005 Champions League Final does it for me. Down 3-0 at the half (which is an incredible deficit in soccer), against one of the most defensively dominant teams there was, AC Milan, from the most defensively responsible soccer country, Italy, Liverpool storms back, the tying goal on the tail end of a missed penalty. In extra time, Dudek makes some incredible point-blank saves on Milan strikes, most notably on Andriy Shevchenko. Liverpool takes it in penalties where Dudek’s distraction tactics on the goal line throw off the Milan takers. Curiously, Dudek was discarded by Liverpool following that season in favour of American Tim Howard. I think that beats the 9-0 Rays comeback, though the simultaneous Red Sox fall is tough to beat. Still, the grandeur of the Champions League final stage is second only to the World Cup final.

As for the Rays coming back from being quite a few games behind Boston only a few weeks ago, I think Liverpool’s Jekyll-Hyde character in 2005 was more bizarre. They dominated in Europe and won it all but in the EPL they finished mid-table and hardly ever impressed against even mediocre domestic competition. The domestic-European performance contrast was so stark that it wasn’t anticipated even in the Champion’s League qualifying rules. They were so poor domestically that they finished too low to even qualify for the earliest rounds of 2006 Champions League qualifying. Since it seemed odd that the 2005 champs not even qualify for the 2006 tournament, the rules were bent and they had to qualify from the earliest point in 2006, playing through a number of single-qualifier rounds against no-name European competition before making it into the 2006 competition.

The end. You may now throw your tomatoes.

• Le Jadester says:

Ya that one is definately up there. I guess at half time Stevie G came out and said to all the players in the dressing room ” lads, we just gotta get at least one goal for all the supporters that traveled all the way here to Instanbul “. That was it ?

Habs, OLE !

3. V says:

I noticed below that someone refers to the prices at the Bell Centre as ‘brutally inflated’. It reminds me of a blog recently by JT criticizing the Habs for charging season’s ticket prices for pre-season games.

It raises the question, if ticket prices are brutally inflated (I don’t think they are) who is responsible for brutally inflating them?

• savethepuck says:

I think those posts were referring to the groups that go on-line to buy up all the tickets offered by the Canadiens and then put them on EBay, Stub Hub etc.. for a huge profit with no intentions of going to the games.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Prospect Update:

Wasting no time, Morgan Ellis scored two goals (including the GWG) and one assist in his first game back with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles to lead his team over PEI Rocket 5-2, he was named 1st Star of the game.

Nathan Beaulieu kicked in a goal and assist in his first game back with the Saint John Sea Dogs in a 3-1 win over the Blainville-Boisbrand Armada.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

5. j2w4habs25 says:

My dad who is a Leafs fan suggested maybe Gomez should tell MONTREAL and MONTREAL fatefulls to relax and chill LMAO

Carey Price #31

6. PrimeTime says:

I hope Bruins suffer the same fate as the Red Sox tonight….My God, what a stunning 5 min turn of events. What a freakin night for baseball!!! Wow. Check out the boxscores if you missed. Wow Wow Wow

7. krob1000 says:

Unbelievable…..Bosox choke lead in bottom of ninth, Rays come back from 7-0 and win with a walk off homerun……craziest thing I have ever seen in baseball….maybe any sport…absolutely unreal…imagine the empty net goal that Stefan missed…..but in a game that means the postseason or not…it was that unreal….I still am in disbelief…I stopped watching hours ago when the game was 7-0…..happened to jump on the comp and saw the game was still going 7-7 rays in 12th…but sox up 3-2 in bottom of ninth…then history unfolded….maybe the most exciting baseball day ever…and that is no exaggeration…at least in my lifetime…holy crap!

• PrimeTime says:

O’s were down to last out last pitch in the 9th
      Rays were down to last out last pitch in the 9th
      Both were set to lose on 1 pitch with Bos moving on.
      In 5 min it did a 180!!
      What a freaking night.

• krob1000 says:

tsn just showed the highlights going back and forth through the games in chronological order,…holy crap…that is a box set in itself…if not a movie…last strikes, the 9 game lead, the outs at the plate, the bombs, just awesome…..

• pmaraw says:

really? thats the craziest thing you’ve seen in any sport? imo its just bad karma for getting the nhl to fix the playoffs for the bruins.

• krob1000 says:

i can safely say that is the craziest sequence of events i have seen in any sport when what was on the line was factored in…please let me know if I missed something better but that was unbelievable….9 game choke, both teams to last pitches, down from 7-0, the lowly orioles coming back against one of the best closers in the game(ist loss this season?, the tying homer with 2 strikes in Tb, a walkoff to win it…yup ….can safely say I have never seen anything else like that…it makes our Rangers game seem like no big deal

• B915 says:

Fix? Dumb comment

8. Jocko says:

I am excited about the season. The pre-season is meaningless. I remember some kid a number of years back that we eventually traded to the rangers, and I thought, wow, this kid looks good. Never made the team and is not in the NHL. Shows what I know! Wonder if anyone here will be thinking that if Yemelin makes a thunderous check against Lushite and adds that “unknown” factor back on D, sort of like Chelios in 1989 witrh his hit on Propp.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

9. longbow says:

Thought of Benny Brunet when I watched this !

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

10. punkster says:

It’s late, there’s little Habs news and my golf game was, well…meh.

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat

(from a 2001 recording by The Essential Charles Mingus Big Band)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

11. ddddddddhdhdhdh says:

It makes me laugh that most on this site are suggesting sending yemelin down to ahl, yet these are the same people who just a few weeks ago were pairing him with markov on first d pairing yet no one here has ever seen him play before preseason. Haha

• Recent Comments

Comment on Postcard, video, audio from camp
      Comment on Postcard, video, audio from camp
      It makes me laugh that most on this site are suggesting sending yemelin down to ahl, yet these are the same people who just a few weeks ago were pairing him with markov on first d pairing yet no one here has ever seen him play. Haha

12. ddddddddhdhdhdh says:

In view of the Marchand tattoo and the comments below I thought I’d share this joke:

=====================

A woman is picked up by Dennis Rodman in a bar. They like each other and she goes back with him to his hotel room. He removes his shirt revealing all his tattoos and she sees that on his arm is one which reads, “Reebok.” She thinks that is a bit odd and asks him about it.

Dennis says, “When I play basketball, the cameras pick up the tattoo and Reebok pays me for advertisement.” A bit later, his pants are off and she sees “Puma” tattooed on his leg.

He gives the same explanation for the unusual tattoo. Finally, the underwear comes off and she sees the word “AIDS” tattooed on his penis. She jumps back with shock.

“I’m not going to do it with a guy who has AIDS!” exclaims the woman.

Dennis Rodman replies, “It’s cool baby. In a minute it’s going to say ‘ADIDAS.'”

After looking at these videos I think reporters should be kept out of the team’s locker room.

• i agree talk about amateur hour

the team has given them access lets kick the questions up a notch

the questions are so lazy and without thought

• neumann103 says:

It originated in the print era where you might have a couple of beat reporters casually asking questions. Now you have swarms of reporters, bloggers, cameramen. And guys are just trying to take a shower.

It is a bizarre anachronism. It already was in the mid 70s when teams tried to ban women from the dressing rooms. I remember reading about those lawsuits and thinking it is obvious “Why allow any reporters in the room?”

Teams would have to adapt and make some players available like they do with coaches postgame (gotta feed the machine!) and of course players would come to understand that they couldn’t always duck questions lest they be portrayed as petulant dicks.

“Et le but!”

15. ProHabs says:

Holy Cow Gomez. You grab 7 million from the team last year, don’t show up at all in the regular season or the playoffs, and now you show up to camp and can’t even give the reporters a decent interview. Are you that tired already this year.

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Gomez is part of why I like watching a Habs’ Game at this time …I love His high speed through the zones

Very exciting to watch. Yet, frustrating too as He has somewhere lost what to do to finish what He starts.

At 7 million dollars per annum, unfortunately for Scott (and Us), the excuses for non-productivity will fall on deaf ears.

I think all of Us are baiting Our breaths and doubts and hoping Scott will turn this around, because if He can We know We will contend as one of the Eastern Conferences elite teams.

We know He has the skills, but We don’t know if He has the mental toughness to figure it out successfully.

Scott can become one of Our heroes, or He will become a sorry beacon for Our wrath this season.

I am pulling for Scott, but I am readying My wrath as well.

God speed Scott !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• G-Man says:

A playmaker needs some1 to finish. Gionta early on last year missed many open nets and golden scoring opportunities, but who gets the blame? Gomez.
      AK46, who should know by now how to follow a center in and hit the hole the center has vacated, didn’t have a clue when he played with Gomez.
      The brief success “Gomez” had was when Pac actually began finishing what Gomez started. Ragging on indefinitely over 1 poor season is tiresome. All players with careers of 10 seasons or longer lay stink bombs. Gretzky with the Blues comes to mind.

The commentariat has hit one note with Gomez: he is to be blamed for all the Habs mistakes. Utter nonsense.

• punkster says:

Got to be a scapegoat each and every year. Who will the fickle finger of fate point to this season?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HardHabits says:

Until Gomez starts producing he’s the lighting rod. But remember my supposition that Gomez was brought in for this very reason; to deflect the scapegoat shots from hitting Price. Now that Price is solid Gomez has the green light to start producing like he normally should.

• Chris says:

Sorry, Punkster…I normally agree with you but on this one I can’t.

Scott Gomez is not being scape-goated. In his first season, he was decidedly average by any standards, and certainly a disappointment based on his own career performance.

Last season was an unmitigated disaster by any metric. He was brutal. Yes, he can skate with the puck and had a nice Corsi coefficient, or whatever that silly stat is called. But he flat out sucked by the test that counts: our eyes.

Gomez is being HEAVILY counted upon to produce like a top-6 center. 38 points isn’t going to cut it. An anchor on the production of the scoring wingers who suddenly found themselves in a slump when paired with Gomez isn’t going to cut it.

I’m one of those hoping that Pacioretty and Gomez can re-create the brief magic they had last season. But Gomez is on the shortest leash of any player that I’ve cheered for on the Habs…he’s got to show that he actually gives a damn on the ice. He’s supposed to be a team leader, he’s supposed to be an offensive leader and he’s supposed to be defensively responsible. On all three counts, he failed last year.

• punkster says:

Chris, I’m referring to the general requirement here for an annual scapegoat, deserved or not. It’s the scapegoat part I take issue with be it Price a couple of years ago, Gainey for blowing up the team and failing in the 5 year plan, Pleks during the “little girl” season, Kovalev after playoff phantom injury and giveaway. Always the scapegoat, always someone has to be blamed for something. Last season the scapegoat, deserved or not, was Gomez, don’t you agree? I mean, who else on the team took as much flak, deserved or not? AK? JM? Hamrlik/Spacek? No, Gomez.

I suggest that this season it will be someone else. I don’t know who or why but someone else will receive the goat horns on a regular babsis…deserved or not.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Propwash says:

Every year, the Habs should issue the annual Social Pariah award.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t know if I like the term scapegoat. I don’t blame all the habs problems on him, I just think he was definitely the biggest disappointment.

• Matt. says:

Gomez scored seven goals last season…. he got paid more than a million dollars a goal last year.
        i Have a better shot than Scott Gomez.
        Scott Gomez was so poor he ripped on himself at the end of the season. I can’t say that he’s had a good season in several years… including with the Rangers.
        Everyday people paid hundreds of dollars a game due to brutally inflated salaries.
        People have a right to complain when a player SUCKS as bad as Gomez did last year.

I hope he has an excellent comeback season. For the fans, his teammates and for himself.

17. Danno says:

Gomez didn’t want to be interviewed. He should have just said so instead of wasting everyone’s time

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• SmartDog says:

That clip should really be called “Gomez NOT talking about Shanahan for 2 minutes”.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• it was retarded to ask gomez or any other player such questions and not expect that answer anyways, not only was gomez a teamate of shanny, as a player you plead the fifth on anything concerning NHL politics and those involved, sure thornton spoke out about it last year, which was pretty awesome, but you dont comment on these things in the pre-season about a guy who is new on the job, gomez has ZERO incentive to even entertain answering that matter of factly.

the person wasting everyones time was the one asking the unprofessional questions

18. Toe Blake says:

I guess as gentlemen, we should let the Bosox in!

19. Neutral says:

right now before the season starts…in the eastern conference I would pick the Habs around the middle of the pack up front and on “D” by the end of the season who knows if campoli, yemelin and weber does good they could be the best…just an opinion someone else throw your’s out there….

Here is an article in the Globe re:Shanahan. I guess Brendan doesn’t like how everyone is telling him how much better he is at the job than that Colon character.

There is a pretty good description in the article of the swell job Colon did as it related to his son.

21. Danno says:

Powerplay possibilities, locker room discussions, Gallagher’s stayin’ alive.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

22. Toe Blake says:

Yes, my swami tells me that the Bosox will crash and burn this evening, giving the Rays a well-deserved rest!

23. Danno says:

Test

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

24. HabFab says:

SOB! The masters of HIO are asking my Firefox to enable cookies now…too bad… sorry…not!!

• Toe Blake says:

Grab a $10 Molson and you won’t be able to buy cookies!

• HabFab says:

Wouldn’t buy a Molson with your money.

• Toe Blake says:

I wouldn’t drink a free one with all the good Belgian stuff in my fridge!

• Toe Blake says:

Re Stella: No! That stuff is crap for NA markets. It’s like the equivalent of Belgian Bud. I prefer brews like Goulden Draak. For a really great review, check it out on Youtube!

• HabFab says:

Have to try, bottles look familiar so hopefully can find. Am a English / Irish beer drinker myself, a potent dark beer is always welcome.
            Agree re Stella, but would drink before a Molson.

Will give it a try Toe, love that good Belgian beer. Big fan of some of the Czech beer as well.

• cuzzie says:

Belgium has the best BEER in the world!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• HardHabits says:

I used to drink Maredsous and Duval in 80’s back when I used to haunt le Cheval Blanc. If ever in Montreal do check out it out. It’s on Ontario near St. Hubert. They were the first micro-brasserie in Montreal and they use hops from Belgium.

• Trisomy 21 says:

What’s the matter with you people? Canadian beer can’t be beat. Though one great beer from Belgium, is Affligem Blond. yum.
            I remember one time I had a glass of Sapporo and the glass had a groove around the rim ad your bottom lip fit so comfortably in the groove. I wished I had taken the glass home, and not a month later the place had closed down and I have always regretted not stealing the glass. Never again will I drink in such comfort :(

25. Toe Blake says:

Has Brendan Shanahan become the Jack Webb of hockey or what?

• j2w4habs25 says:

do you think he is to strict or not? lol

Carey Price #31

• Toe Blake says:

I think he has been absolutely fabulous. But, as others have rightly suggested, the proof will be in the pudding when he has to deal with a Chara/Pacioretty type call. That will reveal the real Brendan Shanahan!

• j2w4habs25 says:

I think he is doing a great job so far. I hope he doesnt pull a campbell though if anthing ever comes apon us again

Carey Price #31

• Toe Blake says:

Again, the calls to date have been against less-than-marquee players. God, what I would not give to see how he would have handled the aforementioned incident. Nonetheless, I do get the sense that he is giving hockey back to the real players and the real fans. If so, all the Habs management needs to do is stay the course.

26. Toe Blake says:

Me and the boys upstairs just want to get through these controlled scrimmages so that we can play 82 house-league games to determine who plays for the Cup!

• HabFab says:

Toe, Red was in here awhile ago looking for you. Apparently you left your fedora over his place.
      Appreciate the job you have been doing getting Gomer back on his game. Keep it up!

• Toe Blake says:

You have to see the cap I am sporting these days. Years ago I would have kicked you if you gave me a white fedora in terra firma. But, with Big Frank sportin’ a stainless lid, how can I complain?

• HabFab says:

This Big Frank doesn’t wear a cap… messes up my naturally wavy hair. Although the lid would come in handy with all these Aliens around here.

• Toe Blake says:

Hey, I have broken through the wall and now consider ice hockey a form of entertainment akin to the theater. We’ll never see what we witnessed as kids from this team. Because of that, I look upon the current generation of fans with a great deal of admiration. We were like the apostles that witnessed the miracles, all this generation has to go on is faith.

• HabFab says:

Now you are worrying me! You didn’t actually go down to the river the other night and get converted did you?

• Toe Blake says:

I heard banjos. I paddled my ass off!

27. j2w4habs25 says:

trade Gommy already lol jk

Carey Price #31

28. Ozmodiar says:

My vote for the forward who should play the point on the powerplay: Weber

29. FishOutOfWater says:

i dont understand this pairing yemlin with Woywitka, he should be playing with an nhl dmen so he can become and able nhl dmen. not an ahl floater like Woywitka. the idea is to let him come into his own by showing him the way of the NHL not by playing him with mediocre partners

• Old Bald Bird says:

It’s simple really. They are not in the top six right now.

It is also true that JM doesn’t ruin young players … although it helps if they have talent prodigious enough to overcome his very best intentions.

===== —— ……. ______

It’s a very good idea to separate your signature from your post with some sort of line because it usually makes no sense running on from your post with no break. There are many options. :)

******* ######## !!!!!!!!!!

• FishOutOfWater says:

bringing in campoli shoves them down on the depth chart. using weber as a forward also affects this. but am i to believe that diaz will crack the roster and play with the canadiens all season long?

30. Danno says:

Survey

What is Canada’s best sports city?

Vote here:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

31. Danno says:

Okay. Put your thinking caps on it’s time to concentrate.

Survey question: What is Canada’s best sports city.

I know. It’s a tough one.

Once you’ve decided, you can vote through this link:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Here is the article with pic. of the idiot in London charged for the banana throwing.

• shiram says:

Well he does look the part.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• cuzzie says:

His idol must be Don Cherry.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• secretdragonfly says:

Guess he’ll be looking for a new place to live….idiot.

• cuzzie says:

I hear Cherry’s got a big spread. Nothing’s too good for a white Ontario boy with an English name.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• 1010 says:

Well, we all know only white Ontario boys, with an English name to boot, would do something so pathetic eh cuzzie.
          Now where was it that the American kids hockey team got booed in a tournament a few years back? Help me out cuzzie because I forgot.

GO HABS…

• cuzzie says:

Excuse me Sir. Two wrongs don’t make a right. I deplore all these actions. Usually done by ignorants. The problem here is someone who is of the old school who still has an avenue to spew his ignorance. I’m an earth person. We all live on this little planet and we should All make the effort to understand and respect the different cultures on our little planet. We are all one people!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• 1010 says:

Not sure what you mean by two wrongs don’t make a right. Both actions- obviously-were deplorable. But you managed to stereotype an entire province of white males because of an idiot whom hails from London Ontario.
            You seemed to imply that bigotry exists only within the confines of ol’ Ontario- that breeding ground of hate. Perhaps that isn’t what you intended,but that’s how it came across to me. Bigotry, as you well know, is alive
            everywhere.

GO HABS…

• cuzzie says:

Not so sir. I was referring more to how that clown Cherry likes to push his own kind. PK has to be careful because Mr. Richards is the face of the NHL. A Bigot is A Bigot is A bigot!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• 1010 says:

Not a Cherry fan myself. But a Hab fan who likes Cherry is a rare bird. I thought some other media types-both TSN and CBC- showed some slight racial overtones with the whole respect and how he celebrates a goal crap that we heard last year.
            It’s funny when you consider that the guy was idolized in Belleville. I know because I seen him play their on several occasions.
            Good night to you.

GO HABS…

• cuzzie says:

There was misunderstanding here. I was more referring to how Cherry speaks and how he pushes white anglo ontariens. I would never degrade an entire society. I am a white Anglo quebecer. I am also a believer in the human race . One day we will all be equal. Have a smoke my friend!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Thurston says:

Looks can be deceiving, but it looks like he’s a complete douche. If he’s convicted, his douchebag status will be confirmed.

• Everlasting1 says:

“This incident affected, not only our local community, it was across the national and international plain – and obviously individuals have very strong feeling”.

The real crime is media’s attention to this non-story.

——————————————————————-
      When the Hebrew scouts investigate the Promised Land of Canaan and return to discourage the other Hebrews from entering it..”We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” [Numbers 13:33]

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Chuck says:

Racism in Canada is a non-story?

I suppose that you’re also one of the folks that insist that there were no racial overtones to this incident; that he merely intended for Simmonds to slip on the banana peel.

• Everlasting1 says:

Racism/discrimination is everywhere. Why don’t you look up real hate crimes. Presently, there are differing ethnic clans slaughtering one another in not only Africa, but many other nations. But do you care? I doubt it.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Chuck says:

So because it’s everywhere we should turn our back on it and not consider it a hate crime? Tell that to folks who have their property vandalized because of the colour of their skin.

• Everlasting1 says:

The kid chucked a banana fer christ sake, what do you suggest we do? Lynch him? I know an asian store owner NOT in Chinatown who speaks perfect english and only hires other asians. That’s more newsworthy lol

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• punkster says:

Oh my. Just where the heck did you get your whacked out view of the world.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

I don’t quite follow E1, a person commits a very public act of discrimination. The coverage will hopefully bring some shame to the young twit. Yet you don’t want people to concern themselves with this because it isn’t a big enough scale.

• Chorske says:

Ohhhh! YOU’RE E1.

Finally got a joke Andrew and Mofo made earlier. Never mind me. I’m just laughing at a joke hours too late, as usual.

—————————————————–
            God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players*, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won’t tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
            *i.e., everyone. [Gaiman & Pratchett 1990]

• everyone: just smile and nod at E1

• Everlasting1 says:

Crosseyed: How many fingers am I holding up?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

LOL

• Everlasting1 says:

You’re special.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HFX-HabFan says:

And yet the Hebrews still went in and took the land and no aliens were to be found anywhere, or ever.

• Everlasting1 says:

Read The Wars Of Gods And Men. Better yet, read the bible.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

33. Woodman91 says:

Hey guys, I’ve been stalking this fourm for years now and finally decided to get in on the discussion

What was even the point of posting the useless Gomez clip…

And I’m hearing on TSN that the Count is playing with the idea of Plekanec and Kostitsyn playing defense? He must just be considering this for the PP I’d imagine?

34. PeterD says:

Ryan White’s Injury…Any body know what his injury is and how bad?

Weber playing forward… cracks me up. Somewhere behind the scenes Carbo is still pulling the strings.

The largest question in my mind now, is how is this team going to be coached this year.? Who will handle the front lines?, who will handle the D? who will set up special teams PP & PK, and who is going to take charge of teaching the centers how to win possession on the draw for a change this year.

Yes, everything depends on the coaching this year for sure. We definitely have the talent to make a serious noise in the league.

Here is hoping that this team of coaches, put this talent together, where they can be most effective, game in and game out.

Sure would like some pointed questions put to the coaches on how and who is responsible for what areas of coaching by our shy media friends.

It is always easier to jump on the players, but that won’t fly this year my friends.

• Timo says:

Ian, if I had to guess, the team is going to be coached exactly the same way it was coached last season. JM is not the most creative coach in the world and it will continue to be a 5 man collapse around the goalie and pray Carey stops the puck he can’t see.

37. Da Hema says:

I hope the Canadiens are the Starley Cup Charpians this year.

38. Ferg says:

So, I keep getting this annoying pop-up insisting that I subscribe to the Gazette. Just a simple explanation please. Is this free or not? Cause if it’s not, I’m done.

39. habs001 says:

i am not as confident as some posters on this site and other sites who think the habs have one of the best d in the nhl…..in todays nhl the d has to be able to support the forwards in scoring and setting them up to score and i am not sure we have enough of these type of players…gill,spacek, and gorges provide no offense or offensive support…gill and spacek will also have major problems with speedy,agile and tough forwards…weber,diaz and yemelin are all question marks on what type of offense they can provide and offensive support along with their defensive abilities….pk will probably have a better year than last…markov is a question mark and campoli will provide offense but some feel he is weak defensively……unless we have a suprise d who can score i believe we again will have scoring issues…even a bad team like the leafs have as much scoring potential on their d as we do …

• Timo says:

I really really would like names of those on this site who think habs have one of the best D in the league. Of please let me know who these people are so that I can ask them for more wisdom.

Timo, I will admit, that I am one who thought we would have one of the league’s best D.

Having said that, I thought Markov would be fully recovered by now. He is to me the main cog in the wheel. A fully recovered Markov could be paired with Yemelin. PK/Gorges, Gill/Spacek w/Weber as the 7th dman was my offseason thought.

I figure Yemelin will be pretty good and if Markov could make Komisarek look good, I have higher hopes of what he could do with Yemelin.

Edit FOrgot to mention Diaz, and also we now have Campoli an option.

• Timo says:

Ok, so can you share some wisdom now?

Assuming you had difficulty reading the 1st explanation.

Markov when healthy an elite defenceman in the NHL
            Subban, is on his way, if not already in the top 15 defencmen in the NHL.

Gorges/Gill, are excellent complimentary defenceman, especially their ability to be excellent playoff shutdown defenceman.

Hopeful Yemelin can transfer his elite KHL status into a decent stay at home physical defenceman with some offesnive skills.

Spacek is a weak link, but does have tremendous veteran experience. If played with limited minutes could, I stress could be somewhat effective.

Diaz may be able to replace Spacek by midseason as he is more acclimatized to the NHL game.

Weber in my opinion has now been replaced with Campoli. THat is a pretty good set of 7/8 dmen in the league. Show me the other teams Defence you feel is so much better.

WHen I say one of the leagues best I am thinking Top 5-6.

Please remember, all hinges on Markov. That is very troubling to me his current status.

• Timo says:

Thanks. I still don’t buy it :)

Thats okay, i don’t buy your love for MAB, but it is entertaining.

• G-Man says:

How many teams have 6 puck moving and play making Dmen? And, ffs, it’s still the preseason. Whine when it’s the regular season and the Habs disappoint, not before.

40. TPlow says:

Howdy folks. Looking forward to the new season, and with that in mind, I could use a bit of advice. Any recommendations on where to buy tickets online? Looking at making a trip to the city for maybe the Toronto game on October 22. Thanks for any help!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

TPlow? From Leave it to Beaver?

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• savethepuck says:

E-Bay, Stub Hub, ticketnetwork.com, ticketliquidator.com to name a few. I bought 2 tickets last Wednesday on ticketnetwork.com and they arrived By Fed/Ex Monday. All sites seem comparable in pricing, I just chose that site because they were the best tickets and price available for the game I was looking for.
      Also the 15th day of each month, canadiens.com sells 200 tickets/game to all the games the following month. You don’t have to pay the inflated scalper’s profit, but good luck getting tickets, especially if you want more than 1 together.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Timo says:

If you are willing to pay 4-5 times the price the HubStub or other online scalpers will be more than happy to help you.

I wanted to get ticket to the same game but the great organization that is Les Canadiens de Montreal decided it will be better to sell tickets to scalpers so that they can add some “value add” to it while reselling.

41. kungpowchicken says:

The solution is in the food. Kungpowchicken says give Weber some of Montreal’s best poutine and a Lafleur’s hot dog (steamed) with extra cheese. Don’t forget the coke et voila…you have one motivated defenseman. What is so hard about that? Come on coach!!! All is good in Habland, friends. Dont fret…the leaves are still on the trees and the flowers are beautiful. Be patient and watch your team evolve to the next level. Cheers.

42. Chuck says:

Don’t know if it’s already been posted, but Nathan Lawson, Brian Willsie and Frédéric St-Denis have been assigned to Hamilton.

43. Old Bald Bird says:

I don’t get all of the chatter about someone, ie Weber, being a disappointment at camp. The team does have a wider body of information to draw on, so it shouldn’t all depend on one camp. The general consensus is that he was developing nicely and was pretty useful in the playoffs. At least he scored.

Sorry, but I don’t really get the need for Campoli — unless maybe he’s mainly going to replace Spacek.

As for a wringing of hands over Yemelin, if a guy who plays for the Russiam National Team can’t make the top 4 on just about any NHL team, I’d be shocked. Sure, I can see an adjustment period, but come on. I hope management is not about to play stupid with yet another young player.

===== —— ……. ______

******* ######## !!!!!!!!!!

• shiram says:

I hope my bold and italic signature works withing the confines of your premise!

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Old Bald Bird says:

I’ll let it slide … this time.

===== —— ……. ______

******* ######## !!!!!!!!!!

44. RetroMikey says:

Weber has been a major disappointment at camp.
    I’ve said all along he is just too short and not physical enough to play on D for us in the NHL.
    Lucky if he sticks around with us or some other team.
    There’s always the Swiss League to earn money back in his home country.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

45. Psycho29 says:

Tonight I get to see Nathan Beaulieu in action as St.John plays the Armada in Blainville/Boisbriand…..(I’m assuming he’s playing)

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• savethepuck says:

Sorry to do this again but I live there. It’s Saint John N.B he plays for, not St. John’s Nfld.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

46. caladin says:

Players don’t negotiate contracts. Agents do. You can’t judge the confidence or character of a player by what his agent asks for.
    It also helps relationships after. The GM can hate the agent and (sometimes) not blame the player.

47. Psycho29 says:

Last night Marchand’s tattoo made it onto Anderson Cooper’s “Redicu-list” segment on CNN……

48. shiram says:

If anyone feels like they have an iron stomach, and a friend with the same disposition…

For myself I’ll be trying them out on saturday.
    As of now, I’d recommend any HIO summit goers to try out Chez Claudette for great poutine, and a hockey atmosphere.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

49. samTHEman says:

Where the hell is Palushaj in all this? Did he get sent down and I missed it?
    G-G-P
    C-P-C
    AK-DD-Gallagher
    Darche-Eller-Weber
    Engqvist-Blunden-Bournival

Moen/White sidelined with injuries

Palushaj??

50. SmartDog says:

Coupla thoughts:
    – I agree with Krob below that I don’t get what the Habs are doing on D. But if the Campoli signing means they’ve lost faith in Yemelin, I say WTF? The guy needs time to adjust. The Habs throw out players too quickly.
    – About Brodeur’s comments on not being happy about the league banning head shots. Easy to say when you’re a goalie moron. Brodeur’s a good goalie but obviously an idiot in other ways (let’s not get into his personal life).

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

51. clubdehockey says:

Thanks Nebraska!

In ESPN’s poll “Which team will win the Northeast division?” two out of the four Nebraskans that responded to the poll voted for the Montreal Canadiens, making it the only state that has the Habs as the leaders. The other states are split between Boston and Buffalo.

52. HabFanSince72 says:

Your afternoon smile. Bart Simpson must have prank called LA City council:

53. RE: HIO poll “Do you think P.K. Subban should tone down his goal celebrations this season?”

I answered No, but i’d like to add that he should actually AMP them up a bit as it obviously drive the opposition to distraction and hissy fits. Maybe Geoff Molson should install a confetti cannon!

LOL

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

54. Habifax says:

FROM TSN WEBSITE……..

LONDON, Ont. — Police have charged a 26-year-old man over an apparent racial incident in which a banana was thrown on the ice at a black player during an NHL pre-season game.

Police say Chris Moorhouse of London, Ont., has been served a summons for engaging in a prohibited activity under the provincial trespassing act.

If convicted, he faces a fine of up to $2,000.

The incident occurred last Thursday during the Philadelphia Flyers’ 4-3 exhibition win over the Detroit Red Wings.

Hopefully the public shame will be enough for this guy! Have a hard time believing our court system actually follows through on the charge and a fine actually given.

• savethepuck says:

Glad to see his name identified in the report. Last week I was under the understanding that the guy could not be identified. I assume fans sitting around him must of identified him.
      Do they have a photo of him in his white sheet and hood?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

55. bel33 says:

Bob McKenzie just tweeted… “More waivers: C McDonald,Nick Johnson,R Craig,Munroe (PIT); Alex Henry (MTL)…that is all.”

So Alex Henry was put on waivers? Just curious if anyone knows why?

So I just heard on the radio here in Toronto that Burke actually gave Komisarek a no movement clause and a limited no trade clause. LOL. They can’t even send Komo to the AHL which they should do this year. Oh Brian Burke you are a genius!

• savethepuck says:

But he’s not making much money, so he should be an easy guy to trade :)

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

When Burke rode into town here in Toronto, he essentially said days of contracts with No trade and No movement were history. John Ferguson Jr. handed them out like after dinner mints. Now Year 3 into this guys contract and it has come out that one of the first big contracts he hands out has a No movement and limited trade. Of course the sheep media in Toronto don’t dare question him about it, for fear he will blow down their house like the big bad wolf.

57. avatar_58 says:

Thanks to John Lu I’m going to refer to our coach as J-Mart from here on out

58. Habifax says:

If Price gets injured for any great length of time the playoffs could be in question IMHO.

• habsfansince91 says:

the same can be said about any team if their starting goaltender gets hurt

• bleedhabs81 says:

Prediction of the year goes to….. you!

I am surprised TSN does not hire you for astute observations like that.

I think I know what you wanted to say. We live and die by Price and there is no one to help us if he is gone. We don’t have a Halak in our system (who is a good 1B platoon style goalie)

Sorry for the sarcasm. It was not necessary (but I am still posting it).

59. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Did my hockey pool at work last night. 7 guys doing a draft. 9 forwards, 4 D, 2 goalies, one rookie. I had the 6th overall pick. Here’s my team, lemme know what you think…

Michael “Snipe-show” Cammalleri
    Tomas “Jagr” Plekanec
    PK Su -BANG!
    Jesus Price
    Erik “I’m new to the team, so still working on a nickname” Cole
    Brian “Goatees = Cups” Gionta
    Jonathan “Which one of these things is not like the other” Quick
    Andrei “Who needs knees?” Markov
    Max “Back from the dead, that’s right I’m basically a badass zombie” Pacioretty
    Andrei “ЊЋЉЎЂχ” Kostitsyn
    Jaromir “I used to Luc’s brother’s favourite player” Jagr
    Lars “Halak, who?” Eller
    Scott “what pressure?” Gomez
    brent burns
    e. johnson
    Alexi “hope I make the team” Yemelin

• Habifax says:

Respectfully, I wouldn’t spend the winnings yet.

• frozengolf says:

LOL! great reply Habifax!

The three important elements of hockey are: forecheck, backcheck and paycheck.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

haha – yeah, well, it’ s no fun to watch the games when in the back of your mind you’ve got a player on the other team you wanna see score one just for your pool. Like in a 4-1 game for the Habs, you start thinking, one goal wouldn’t hurt.

What can I say? I bet with my heart. People love having me in their pools.

• LA Loyalist says:

re Erik Cole – my son’s name is Cole and his hockey nickname is “Roller” – you are welcome to use it till you think of something you like.

And I used to call Eller “Open-faced sandwich guy” which admittedly won’t mean much if you’ve not been to Denmark or worked with Danes.

And I like where you are going with Patches, maybe shorten it to “Zombie” – in fact, I like it a lot.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I like it! Cole is a speedy guy too, so it fits. As long as your boy doesn’t mind having his nickname hijacked!

You should let the fellas in the dressing room know — I’m pretty sure coming up with nicknames for the new players can be an ardous process, haha

• bleedhabs81 says:

Brutally honest. You suck. Your team really really sucks. Worst team I have ever seen drafted. Where is your big first round pick (i.e. Perry, Ovi, Sedins, St loius…?)

Where is your stud D man (maybe PK?)?

Where is your big winger… no, don’t say cammy… I slap you in the mouth if you say that. You could draft cammy later and take another winger early on.

You are a HOMER (one who only drafts his favorite team). Homers never win (unless you have a delorean and cruise back to the early 80’s oilers)

I would love you to win your pool (as it means we will score lots) but be honest with yourself. We were 22nd or 23rd overall in scoring… how is that going to get you points?

I like PK (late defence pick) , I like Pleks (late Center pick), and Price was on my want list (did not get him). Price is the only one of decent value early in the draft….

Why is your rookie Yemelin? How is the league scored? Scoring, plus/minus, hits….

The other guys must love you (sitting there thinking “don’t pick Toews, don’t pick Toews” and you proclaim SCOTT GOMEZ IS MY PICK…. HA!)

Ahhh, I feel sorry for you. I really do. It is going to be a long season. Call me next year and I will set you up (finish 1st two years in a row in pts pool… and I have the odd Hab on my team).

(staggers off mumbling)… seriously, all Habs… stupid stupid stupid…..

Where in the post do you give him your brutally honest opinion….

• savethepuck says:

Couldn’t you of just said this:

You are a HOMER. You are not going to do well.

And left it a that

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• bleedhabs81 says:

I could have, but I feel I needed to beat a little sense into him. Get him thinking logically.

I am also grumpy today and unfortunately stupidity brings out the worst in me.

I do apologize… but I stand by my rant. If there is one thing I don’t like, it is stupidity… and that team and the decisions made to draft that team are stupid.

*Edit – Stupid in terms of playing in a pool (I don’t mean you are stupid).

I like your love of the team and commend your loyalty…. just don’t ever give me pool advice ;)

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

hahahahaa! What can I say? I love my team — clearly not in it to win. Either that or I’m ridiculously optimistic. Not sure which yet.

Besides, like I said, it’s just more fun when you’re generally cheering for the players on your fantasy team. If you think you’re shocked, you should’ve seen my co-workers!

PS – I find it hard to believe you bleed Habs if you wouldn’t even pick ‘em in your $20 pool! ;)

• bleedhabs81 says:

I watch every minute of every game. I spend too many hours on this site… I have a man crush on Price.

I bleed little CH’s. Seriously! Stepped on a broken beer bottle and CH’ed all over the floor… kind of cool. :)

However, I am an intelligent person who is also extrememly competative. If I am playing a game, I play to win.

On that note, I don’t cheer against my team, ever. The team is above the pools. I would rather Carey get a shutout and someone in my pool gets 5 points just because I want Price to dominate.

Draft Western conference players. You will only have to feel uncomfortable for a few games.

West is the key, my teams are always filled with Sharks, Ducks, Wings, Hawks. ALso gives me a reason to watch that 10pm game on CBC Saturday.

60. Habifax says:

I think it was a mistake to sign Weber to a one way contract. If he could be sent down he would be. Putting him on forward is just a waste of time and adds nothing to the team. He will see a lot on press box time this year if he doesn’t pick up his game quickly.

• B says:

He can be sent down (but would have to clear waivers I believe).

A one way contract just means that he earns the same $s in the NHL and AHL, a two way contract means he would earn less $s in the AHL.

• Habifax says:

Ok thanks for pointing that out. I feel better about it now

• shiram says:

A no movement clause would prevent the team from sending him down, afaik.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• B says:

Weber does not have a no movement clause.
            Only top notch Dmen like Komisarek get those :)

Kidding aside, would it not set off a warning bell when a guy insists on a NMC that he has doubts in his ability to continue to earn his spot through the length of the contract he is asking for? If a player seems to have those kind of doubts over his contract, then the guy signing him should be asking those same questions too.

@B, You mean guys like Kaberle, McCabe, Komisarek, Tucker

• bleedhabs81 says:

I disagree (a little). Weber does have some value as a 4rth line forward. 10 PP goals is not bad for a 4th liner (I picked ten because it seemed reasonable… high, but reasonable)

Besides the Count doesn’t play the 4rth line anyway…. so might as well dress a PP cannon and sit him on the bench until needed.

• Woodman91 says:

Yeah but regardless we need some grit and sandpaper for our fourthline… not some 5’10” Swiss Dman… besides we have enough PP dman on our team as it is, Markov (if he ever plays!), Subban, Campoli even ol’Spacek. Yemelin and Diaz have both looked better than Webber in my opinion

• bleedhabs81 says:

I haven’t seen any post season play, so I can’t say anything to how he is playing. However…. ol’Spacek? really? that bad?

I don’t understand this need for sandpaper on the fourth line. The fourth line does not (or should not) play against a #1 or #2 line… so who cares if the 4rth line is smashing into the other 4th line (i guess ramming into D is always good, but again, not seeing the top D pairing very often)

We need 3rd line sandpaper… defensively responsible monsters to crush and shut down the oppositions top line.

61. adamkennelly says:

its going to really piss me off to see Weber playing F…there is no way he will add more value to this team as a 4th liner than a bit of muscle…go play in Switzerland.

62. Chuck says:

Dalton Smith of the Ottawa 67’s suspended 10 games for charging goalie Malcolm Subban:

63. steeveedee says:

The way I see it the coaching staff has instructed yemelin not to start hitting like he can until the season starts, and since hitting is such a dominant part of his game I have a feeling the real number 74 will make fans happy as of oct 6th moving forward.

larsy darcy !

64. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. Name one regular F you would happily dump and replace with Gallagher.
    2. Who’s better – Diaz or Spacek?
    3. What will Budaj’s winning percentage be? Over 60%, about half, under 40%?
    4. Do we need a healthy Markov to do well this year?
    5. Will the Gazette get back money from subscriptions that they lose in ad traffic and goodwill by making us jump hoops to read articles that are free on most newspaper sites?
    SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

Gally can play some game if Eller misses some, but he needs to devellop, so send him down if Eller is ok.
      Too early to tell on Diaz/Spacek.
      Budaj, 50% win rate, but some of the wins will be overtime wins.
      No we can do well without him, but not the kind of good HardHabits hopes for, ie: leading division, top 6 etc..

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• fuhgawz says:

1) Moen
      2)neither i dislike both of them … soft and useless
      3)57%
      4)Yes
      5)very much so

• steeveedee says:

1. MOEN———–the guy is QUIETLY the most useless player on the team, his hands are made of stone and he hasnt done anything productive since he scored the fluke goal on fleury in game 7 when were already up by 3
      2. DIAZ hands down, spacek has been the worst player on the ice (neck+neck with MOEN) I like diaz and I am nor understanding all the negativity going his way
      3. Budaj is the most qualified back-up we have had in years, Im not prepared to guess his win% but we are better positioned in net this year than we have been in the past
      4. My uncle is a doctor that deals with sports injuries in California, I explained markov’s situation to him in detail , when I got to the “water in the knee after 2 surgeries” part all he could say was ” not a good sign AT ALL”
      5. I don’t answer un-hockey related questions ;)
      larsy darcy !

• “4. Do we need a healthy Markov to do well this year?”

?

• Big Ted says:

1. Moen. Easy answer.

2. Diaz by mid-season. But with Markov out, I’d take Spacek now because we need a vet in the line-up. I don’t want to get to the last 5 minutes of a game and be forced to play 3-4 D because the coach doesn’t have confidence in Yemelin/Diaz/Weber/Campoli to hold a lead.

3. 55-60%. He’ll likely get easier match-ups.

4. Yes. Unless we get another guy to fill in on D. We can still make the playoffs without Markov, but we don’t have the depth on D to finish 82 games and keep winning in the playoffs without him because Gill, Gorges, and Subban will be taxed by then.

5. No comment.

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. Moen.
      2. Too easy. “Who’s better, a sack of dirty laundry or Spacek” would be tougher.
      3. 30% tops.
      4. Yes.
      5. I don’t get the question.

• G-Man says:

1. none- he needs another 2 years to get ready.
      2. Spacek- Diaz needs the AHL for a few months to adapt his game
      3. 50-50
      4. What does “do well” mean?
      5. The print version of The Gazette will go the way of the dodo by June 2012, so,in short, no.

• ClaytonM says:

G-man, you have the same answers as I would have given. To expand, though…

1) Gallagher will get the call if injuries force PG’s hand, but I’d call up Palushaj before Gallagher.
        2) Diaz needs to accustom himself to the physical side of North American hockey first.

Why all the Moen hatred? I thought he did very well last year when given the proper ice time and linemates of Eller and Kostitsyn. He stands up for his teammates, doesn’t complain, works hard and uses his size when/where he can. But when he gets relegated to the 4th line for 5 minutes TOI or comes off the bench after 10 minutes without a shift…

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

• savethepuck says:

1. Moen seems to be the common answer here but realistically Gallagher is only here as a top 9 forward. He will probably play with DD and AK, like in practice on the 3rd line. When Eller returns, DD moves to the wing to take his spot. He will have to impress an awful lot to crack the top 9 when Eller comes back to stay with the club. If that happens, 1 of the top 9 will have to be traded because none of them are suited for the 4th line.
      2. Spacek now, but ask again next spring.
      3. easily over 60% because he will be only playing against sub-standard competition.
      4. To be an elite team? YES. To be successful and compete and make the playoffs? NO

5. Couldn’t care less about the Gazette. Live in NB

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

65. HABZ24 says:

i guess yemelin was to be paired with markov but with markov not playing i guess yemelin is on his own having probs with the languge and just adapting etc. great move getting campoli as insurance. if gallager is playing hott let him play nine games of reg season then send him down.

GO HABS GO

• Habifax says:

My impression of Yemelin is he seems a bit slow and he hasn’t made the physical impact expected. So I don’t see him cracking the top 4. The signing of Campoli, to me, says alot about Yemelin. I think he will end up in Hamilton or KHL as some have said he has to be with the Habs or he goes back to KHL.

66. shiram says:

Is Weber the new MAB?
    He seems to have lost alot of stock in a few months, when no hockey was played. He’s alos being juggled to the forward position.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• IAMLEGEND says:

In my opinion, Weber is much worse than MAB. At least, MAB can score and had a wicked shot. Weber, is weak, small can’t push or move anyone, hockey IQ is limited… I mean the guy is no where near good enough for the current NHL. His skills-set would be much better off in a European stlye of play and rink. Here, his style of play is really useless.

I really hope that he doesnt play with the Habs this year, I cannot stand to see him play. It kills me with concern of a turnover every time he is one the ice.
      —————–
      Grabovski- please get a decent haircut!

• Weber is a much, MUCH better hockey player than MAB is. MAB is just a shot, Weber is versatile and not bad defensively. The reason people are ragging on him right now is because they don’t know what they’re looking for. They see him on the ice while the puck is in our zone and assume it’s his fault when he’s paired with the worst player who played a preseason game for the Habs this year (Alex Henry).

I am going to let our resident expert Timo answer that question Shiram.

• LA Loyalist says:

He won’t become the new MAB until we become obsessed with him, as we were with Brisebois and MAB. I know! Let’s ask Timo, the arbiter of all things MAB.

Also, you don’t just become MAB, you have to earn it. Mainly by pissing off JM :-)

67. krob1000 says:

I am still very confused as to what the teams intentions are on D….I can see Diaz statrting the year in Hamilton but Yemelin likely won;t be happy with that adn would probably go back to the KHL. Yemelin has been good by ost accounts…btu so has Diaz. The addition of Campoli just muddies things further……then lost in all of this is Yannick Weber…..is he good enough as a forward to take a spot? I think Diaz looks like he has a better skillset at D and perhaps might even be better if also giventhe opportunit at forward as his hands seem better than Webers. We also have to remember Weber is years younger than both Yemelin and Diaz so really this should not be too surprising…but Woywitka is out and Spacek being trimmed up will likely stick. But I have to wonder are we considering moving Spacek” or maybe Gill? Either way we appear in decent shape moving forward as we will be without both of those guys enxt year and both will likely spend time on the shelf this year given their age……will we carry extra bodies and utize one of or both gill/spacek sparingly? Too many questions and I really have no idea how things will go……the addition of Campoli really confuses things even more and has me wondering what we are up to on the back end. IF Carbo were coaching it would all be so clear…..we are just going to go with 9 dmen…but as it stands I am very, very confused….i guess it is a good problem to have but moving forward with Bealieu, Tinordi,etc we are very deep at D…now we just need some more firepower up front…actually we look prettty reasonable up there etoo…at the NHL level anyway…..they have done a pretty good job rebuilding really….now lets hope for some decent health and be thankful we don;t have to make the decisions on D.

• Kooch7800 says:

IMO Diaz has been just as good if not better than Yemelin so far. Both are adjusting to smaller ice. But I haven’t been blown away by either player and with the signing of Campoli neither have the Habs management.

If Yemelin gives up quickly and goes home then good riddance. He needs to take the time to adapt his game over here and the KHL is no NHL.

The habs will leave him as the 7th defensemen and if he doesn’t show growth he will be sent down to Hamilton and may possibly head home

The team needs to show some patience with Yemelin. THe reality is we need to have some physical options with our Dmen. To just immediately get rid of Yemelin while he adjusts to the North American Ice and style of game would be foolish. The guy can play hockey proven by his success in the KHL and by making one of the best national teams in hockey the Russian National team.

Weber I think has run out of time. While he has a skill set, he does not appear to bring enough to compensate for this lack of physical play. He is getting an opportunity it appears at the wing. Until we get Moen, White, and Eller back this seems like a better move than trying to force feed Palushaj into an NHL role.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would agree that Weber seems to be the odd man out if they have him playing D and I also 100% agree with you that we need physical D.
          I think though that if Yemelin takes awhile to adjust without be willing to refine his game in the AHL he may not be around long.
          It is a double edged sword. He would adapt quicker playing top minutes in the AHL than he will has a 7th man in the NHL. Give him like 20 games with the dogs and bring him up.
          be interesting to see what happens.
          To bad about Weber though. i have always liked him and thought he never really got a real shot.

• avatar_58 says:

I want Yemelin to succeed but if he needs his hand held like a baby and threatens the KHL then frankly he’s not worth it. He needs to earn a spot like everyone else and if there’s non available he goes to Hamilton. I don’t care about his attitude towards the AHL, them’s the breaks.

If Diaz is doing better (and he is, if you ask me) then he gets the job

• Kooch7800 says:

I 100% agree. I think the habs management will be the same. look at SK a couple years ago. they didn’t care if he was mad and threatened to leave they sent him down. By no means am I comparing the two as they are different people.

I want Yemelin to stay but he needs to get better and in my opinion playing in hamilton for a month would be the way to do it

• avatar_58 says:

Also for the record if he’s pissed at being sent down that’s a positive – no one wants to go to the AHL. Use that fire and earn your way back like White, Desharnais and Pacioretty did. Don’t run to the media and complain or flee to the KHL

• LA Loyalist says:

Agree on Yemelin, totally. We posted all summer about being patient with him. I’ve played a little on Olympic width rinks as a goalie and it’s a huge freaking difference in angles that players and shots come at you from. Coming the other way, to NHL size, he has to make decisions more quickly, and the angles are all much tighter. That is going to take time, that’s all. There is no reason to panic about Yemelin.

• LA Loyalist says:

apparently we used 12 different D last year. Let’s look at having these choices as a high class problem. It’s a long, long season.

As for Tinordi he is real young and needs to grow into his body. Think how awkward Larry Robinson was when he first came up and it took time for him to put it all together. No worries on D as long as Markov is ok. Up front, well, that’s a different kettle of fish…

• ClaytonM says:

Tinordi looks like a basketball player. He needs to put on some muscle before he’s NHL-ready, like 50 pounds of it.

You’re saying our forward lines are questionable? I disagree. I think we’ll turn some heads this season because a few of them have something to prove – Gomez, Patches, Cammi, Cole, AK46, Eller and DD. Either they want to get last season’s taste out of their mouth or show they really do belong on the team. They also have pressure on them from Hamilton players, something that we needed last year.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

Interesting comments from Martin Brodeur as it relates to Shanahan and the suspensions. He makes an interesting point going back to the foot in the crease rule, and how when it was crunch time they wouldn’t make that call.

• Kooch7800 says:

I 100% disagree with Brodeur. So just leave it as is? The game is corrupt and always has been. At least Shanny is doing what needed to be done. The suspensions would not be so insane if it hadn’t been neglected for so long.
      Shanny is making a statement to try and change the culture of the players. It has needed to happen. Those are worse for the game then actual suspensions

I guess Brodeur would prefer someone getting their back broken in the SCF and no suspension but a slightly late hit getting 4 games. Or someone getting their face smashed off a pole and no suspension cause it is a star player.

His argument is ignorant. A precedent is what is needed in this league and shanny explaining it also helps educate players and fans

• shiram says:

Yup, and it’s not like Brodeur brings anything but questions.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

I agree with you Kooch, to say that this is bad PR for the league is a ridiculous argument. To me it is sending the message loud and clear that things are changing. Having said that, I do understand his final comment when he compares to the foot in crease rule. The league was adamant that this was the new rules, and then in the Stanley Cup Final, they ignored the rule.

• Kooch7800 says:

Hopefully by Shanny setting a precedent they won’t ignore the rules.
          but we all know it is an old boys club so really who knows how long this will stick.

So far so good in my opinion.

Thanks for posting the artice

Yup, as SeriousFan09 and others pointed out, this is all well and good, but the key will be when he starts handing out unpopular suspensions with the PowerBrokers of the league, Boston, Toronto etc..

• LA Loyalist says:

good post. Let’s see if Shanahan is consistent and if he has the stones to suspend anyone with a name. Is Wiz the most hi-profile guy so far? Or is he just so to us as he played here and we liked him?

• Kooch7800 says:

I would say Wiz is pretty high profile but he plays in Columbus. It was probably wasn’t too big of news there.

I hope Shanny sticks to his guns cause this league needs a change

• LA Loyalist says:

You are right. Doughty still not signed is barely making the news here in LA, there’s an update every few days.

As Burlington said, let’s see if Shanahan gives a Leaf 8 games.

• ClaytonM says:

Brodeur only looks out for goalies. If they were targets of headshots, then he’d say they need to be eliminated. Besides, if Shanahan is consistent, maybe there will be a change in the hockey culture eventually. Shanahan’s big test will be when an All Star is the guilty party. If he gives the star players a pass or lesser suspension he loses any credibility, but until then I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If he maintains the trend, I see a player like Lucic either not playing a full 82 games due to suspension or not playing the same dbag style that makes him effective. Sure, the Habs might lose some players to suspensions if they are guilty, but who are the likely culprits? Yemelin? Gomez (hot-tempered)? It’s teams like Boston and Philly who need to worry about suspensions, not Montreal.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

69. habsfan0 says:

Writing this on board VIA Train Toronto to Montreal. This is the way ALL hockey players used to travel, although I suspect Rocket Richard didn’t use an iPad much in 1958.

70. Brazhabs says:

Anyone else having an issue with reading articles on the Gazette website? Thats a really big piss off seeing as much of my reading about the habs takes place on that site! And to join you have to pay monthly/yearly…law student = no spare cash. Very unfortunate, this doesnt happen at the Toronto star…

• shiram says:

Clear cookies/browsing history, try again.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Mats Naslund says:

Do we seriously need 50 posts about this in the past 5 days? It is not a hard fix!

• avatar_58 says:

Actually I’m all for the complaing because it’s a ridiculous policiy. My local newspaper is doing the same thing.

Newsflash – no one wants to pay for news anymore. Either get with the times and survive off ad revenue or other means or fold. No one is going to pay to read news on a website they can get elsewhere.

My apologies to the gazette – but your journalism and writing is no better than other websites

• Mats Naslund says:

Newsflash: You don’t need to pay for anything if you set up your browser settings properly (which has been posted here 100 times). You may find your computer even runs faster! Why rant about something that is ENTIRELY within your own control?!

• Gerry H says:

Newsflash: If no one wants to pay for news, why would any one want to produce it (including HIO)?

• avatar_58 says:

The complaints are meant for the brass, not for the users. Just because you can circumvent it doesn’t mean it’s solved. I mean I can illegally download movies, doesn’t mean I can’t complain about their prices.

• shiram says:

Gerry, they can still generate revenue with ads.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Gerry H says:

Oh, I know, Shiram. I guess I just find it a bit tiresome to hear all the whining about having to perform a few clicks to get around the subscription requirement when we have this playground provided for us absolutely gratis.

Agree Mats , I have never once gotten these messages people speak of, however I have my browser set to clear cookies every time I exit.

THere are now 3 sure things Death, Taxes and complaints of the Gazette charging for articles.

71. Danno says:

I’ll second that motion

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

72. Tony McLean says:

Got my vote.

You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

73. Rudy says:

I read somewhere yesterday that in order for him to play up to nine regular season games, he has to have a pro contract by October 2. Not sure if this is legit, but the clock is ticking. The kid must be on cloud 9 right now.

74. Mats Naslund says:

I think he’ll play a couple more games but be sent back. He’s been very good – but who does he replace if he sticks?

I certainly like our team better with Gionta, Pacioretty, Cole, and Cammilleri on wing in the top 6. I also think that before Gallagher I want to see Eller, DD and AK46 play at least some time together given the potential there.

That leaves Gallagher in a bottom 6 role? No thanks. I’d rather he develop away from the eyes of the Montreal media. If he’s ready this year he still will be next year.

I think Gallagher has a bright future with the Habs, but for once we’re in a position where we don’t have to rush a prospect along. I say we kick back and enjoy having a system with good prospects coming down the pipe.

75. Stev.R says:

I suppose they are considering this at least until they know the status of Eller

76. avatar_58 says:

He looks more than ready to me. Needs to bulk up but he could easily be our ‘skinner’ type player. The little firecracker that could.

It’s not like Eller, White or Desharnais are ready any time soon

77. Kooch7800 says:

I agree. He looks good but he hasn’t played pro hockey yet. Preseason games are just that Preseason. Don’t rush him, let him develop in the hammer and call him up later in the season if needed.

He works his tail off but is not bottom six material.

78. B says:

Perhaps he could play in Eller’s spot until Eller is fully ready to return? Boone did write above that he was lined up with Desharnais and Kostitsyn in practice today.