Post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

Any excuse to get some Latin into Habs Inside/Out.

It means “after this therefore because of this.”

It is the logical fallacy that chronology implies causation. Except in this case, not such a fallacy:

On Tuesday, Max Talbot called Alex Ovechkin a d-word.

On Wednesday, Washington acquired St. Louis enforcer D.J. King.

Worth noting: Caps general manager George McPhee was a tough hombre who had 257 PiM in 115 NHL games.

And other than his mouth, Max Talbot is not as big as Derek Boogaard.

Ah, the NHL.

Plus ca change …

* And speaking of guys who could throw ‘em, remember John Kordic?

* Yvon Pedneault on Pierre Boivin and Richard Peddie

2v-wptM0iHw

1. Thomas Le Fan says:

I suspect you have hit on something there, not that there’s anything wrong with that. In the same vein, Phoenix depends on Canadian vacationers and ex-pats for a lot of their support, as well.

2. Hammer says:

It’s all aploy to attract as many Franco-snowbirds to the rink as possible as no Tampa bay resident seems to be interested in watching the team.

3. kordic says:

R.I.P. I loved John, he loved the Habs, unfortunately he loved drugs more and that ended his life. My opinion!!! If Kordic does not get traded to T.O. he stays alive, he adored Montreal.

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

4. kordic says:

5. ZepFan2 says:

Don’t ask me. Ask my buddy Bugs. lol

He’ll be the barometer on how much F word usage is allowed. As long as there’s no attacks, all should be fine, I think.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

6. Anonymous says:

It’s not about how much french you got, it’s about how crazy the french you got is. I.E Richard, Parent…..The best french players are the crazy ones, hands down.

7. mike g says:

Ahhhhhh Francophones!

Do us anglophones have to appologize if we use a french word on this site, the same way the francophones excuse themselves when they use english expressions or words when they speak french?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

8. ZepFan2 says:

Oh boy, you’ve used the F word.

Run for the hills.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

9. mike g says:

(this post reflects the general opinion of the hockey world, and their new hard-on’s for Tampa’s new GM)

OMG, Stevie Y!!!!

Tampa just signed ANOTHER francophone, this time it’s the defenseman Mathieu Roy to a 1-year deal.

OMG, Stevie is the best GM in hockey. He’s getting all these amazing francophones, Tampa will compete for the Cup next year, Guy Boucher, Julien Brisebois, more francophones, STEVIE Y!!!!, Guy Boucher, francophones, Guy Boucher, Guy Boucher, francophones, STEVIE Y!!!!, Jack Adams winner Guy Boucher, OMGG!!!!!

And what’s PG doing not signing anyone, how can you pass up on M. Roy?! Comon PG, how can you let Stevie sign all these guys and steal all our players/coaches?!?!

No matter how Mathieu Roy turns out, Stevie Y will still be the best GM in hockey. Watch out for Tampa everyone.

(man, what a looooong summer)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

10. ed lopaz says:

from ESPN Sports

“Is a hold out imminent?”

“If the Montreal Canadiens and Carey Price remain at odds expect the boo birds to come out early and often”

“there is no urgency but nothing is imminent. A bad combo”

11. Thomas Le Fan says:

Good on Max. Besides being a great player, Oretchkin is a “douche” or at least (for our French speakers) usually looks like he needs one.

12. alestar says:

RE: Kordic

Cocaine is a hell of a drug…

XXIV…and counting

13. Hockey Socks says:

In 95-96, this wasn’t considered a blindsight hit to the head.

14. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

In my opinion, it shouldn’t be considered a blindside hit today. Like Booth/Richards, don’t be looking back while you skate. The Cooke/Savard hit was another matter of Cooke sneaking in on the blind side.

Was that hit on Domi interference? No question. Did he deserve it? I can’t think of any reason why not.

Act Now !!! So you Don’t Miss Out, Click Here for Habs Inside Out Fan Game Tickets Now!!!

Summit Game Tickets Have Been Confirmed And Reserved

16. davelecave says:

Funny, I thought they had MATT BRADLEY to fight Ovy’s fights for him…

===============================================================================

Papa Gionta!

17. Anonymous says:

A player that tells you there true thoughts on another, the last time someone did that they gor suspended and were traded.

18. Skotbot says:

Something tells me that the media & fans will/are making a bigger deal out of the Talbot comment then the players.

Oh well slow summer FTW.

Any news on what will happen to Dominic Moore? I am aware that the Habs do not want him, however i felt he had a good run here, and brought some needed energy to those “checking” lines.

Is money the reason he hasnt been picked up by anybody yet? I have less trouble believing that MA Bergy & Glen Metro havent signed, but Moore didnt seem to do anything to lower his stock. (injury, etc). To answer my own question, I assume its cheaper to get a young guy to do the same thing (minutes, role, etc).

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

19. Julie H says:

Agreed. Any little thing that anyone says that gets to a fans ear is immediately torn up and given a whole new context. Not everything has a double meaning though. We all just need to chill out.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

20. Anonymous says:

This is a good point’s list on the worst SI predictions, no hockey, still good.

21. longtimehabsfan says:

Cogito ergo sum

22. mike g says:

Has anyone else noticed something different about the Habs in the past few years?

I was thinking about this last night: It’s really nice to see how many more players are willing and want to come play for MTL now. Go back 3-4 years, and even before that, MTL wasn’t a place many wanted to play.

But going back to the Tanguay trade, where he lifted his no trade clause to come here, it seems more and more players want to come and stay here. Kovy wanted to stay, same with Streit, Boullion, Breezer, Dandenault, Begin, Moore, Metro, Mara, Kostopoulos, etc…Eric Belanger said he wanted to play ehre this year, but that Habs said they have no cap space.

Now this year we signed Cammy, Gio, Gomez accepted to come here, Gill, Spacek, etc…

It’s nice to see some players coming here, and wanting to play/stay here.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

23. SmartDog says:

Despite how I feel about certain moves Gainey made, I agree that under his watch the team has become credible again, and I think what you say is true.

The other side of that coin though is that in my eyes he made a deal with the devil.  We’re credible but we over-paid in long-term contracts to get or stay there… so we have credibility as a decent club again, but not as a contender.  And really it’s Cup or nothing, so locking us in as an also-ran just isn’t enough.

As I see it we’re stuck there smack in middle-ground tied up from making the kind of moves that could create a contender.  So we’re more credible.. but still mediocre.  And I don’t see anyone praising us for bring aggressive or innovative, or potentially leading the East any time soon.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

24. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. Is PG pretty much done?

2. If PG IS done, are you happy?  Why or why not?

3. In what STATISTICAL area of the game do you feel we are most poised to move up from last year?

4. We’ve been told that the management changes on the Habs & Dogs have brought in some very good and desirable experience.  We’ve also heard that we lost some very good young talent, mostly snatched away in bulk by Tampa Bay.  On a 10 point scale with 10 meaning we’ve made a huge improvement and 1 meaning we took a big net loss, how do you feel about these changes?

5. Are you going to the summit?  Why or why not?

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

25. Black Jacques Halak says:

Oh Brother.  Mario Tremblay on RDS…

26. mike g says:

You’re right about our contending chances…

But in reality, and in this NHL, there isn’t more than a handful of teams that can be considered perrenial contenders for the duration of a given players’ 6-7 year contract.

Take away WSH, PIT, DET, CHI, PHI. Who else is there? If a player wants to win, going to SJ doesn’t even guarantee a series win. Neither does Vancouver, LA, NJ, etc…..

Every team comes with that little thaught in the back of your head. Even PIT, WSH, n company come with no guarantees. Sure there are more stable options, but still…

And getting back to the overpaid part, MTL must overpay to get players. The taxes kill players here. Someone on this site pointed out that Halak’s 3.75 mill per year deal would have had to be a 4.5 mill per year deal here in MTL in order for him to take home the same money after taxes.

So when players are looking for 6+ years and 25+ million dollar deals, the difference in taxes between here and somewhere else after 6+ years of being taxed is huge. A player can save 5+ million sometimes just by playing somewhere else and being taxed less.

In the end, say what you want but 5 mill is 5 mill…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

27. ed lopaz says:

I think its very sad that we can easily list 6,7,8 NHL teams who year in and year out have a legitimate chance at the Cup.

And the Habs are not one of those teams.

When do we get to be one of those teams again?

when is the 17 year re-building going to pay off?

normally when a team makes it to the conference finals the fans can safely say that their team could be

Cup contender the very next year.

Are we a Cup contender considering we were a final 4 team last season?

28. mike g says:

Not a Cup contender, but playoff bound is a guarantee…

Most people will say we were lucky to get into the playoffs last year, and we were. But the argument that our playoff spot was based only on luck is not true. Our guys were busted up all year, we faught through numerous/key long term injuries, and our team was put together overnight.

Most people don’t understand how long it takes a team to fully gel and play well with eachother. It’s a very long process, and considering the big injuries we had, we sped up that process incredibly. Come playoff time, our team was healthy and was able to keep up witht he big boys.

Sure we needed insane goaltending, but with the addition or maturity of 2-3 of our young players, I think we’ll be fine.

PK, Pouliot, Eller, AK, etc…If those 4 can find their game and keep it at a high level this year, the Habs will be just fine.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.