Poll says majority of Canadians don’t care if NHL lockout is settled

bellweb

Postmedia News reports that a new poll suggests the majority of Canadians don’t care if the NHL lockout gets settled.

The poll, conducted Dec. 11-16 by NRG Research Group and Peak Communications, surveyed 801 individuals in six regions across Canada.

Respondents were asked the following question: “Do you think the NHL lockout will be settled in the next couple of weeks; in the new year in time for a shortened season to be played; not until it’s too late for games to be played this season; or don’t you care?”

Fifty eight per cent of respondents said they did not care.

Read more by clicking here.

Meanwhile, former Canadiens defenceman Ron Hainsey, now with the Winnipeg Jets, is getting frustrated and is anxious to get back to the bargaining table with the NHL.

“We’ve said it a number of times, but it’s worth repeating: It’s obviously very difficult to make a deal if you’re not meeting or negotiating,” Hainsey, a member of the NHLPA negotiating committee, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Tuesday. “I’ve yet to see a way we can do it without sitting down across a table from each other.”

Hainsey was selected by the Canadiens in the first round (13th overall) at the 2000 NHL entry draft. He played only 32 games for the Canadiens, scoring one goal and adding one assist, before being claimed on waivers by Columbus on Nov. 29, 2005.

Hainsey told AP on Tuesday that no more talks are scheduled “at this point.”

“We’ve always said we’re open to sit down and meet any time, and now we’re kind of in a situation where no one wants to make the first move,” he added. “Maybe there is a way of doing it. Communication the past couple of days has been quiet. Maybe there is some way to get it started with something similar to what we had (in New York).”

Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Tim Snow/The Gazette)

1. solomio says:

75% don’t care? WTF.? I’d love to watch the Habs play through out the winter months.Yes I care. Then again Spring training is just around the corner and the Jays are gonna be lots of fun to watch this year.

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

2. jabber39 says:

Who cares about hockey right now? Screw the owners and players! There are other sports out there. NFL is great. The MLB was great. I would even watch the NBA. Screw the NHL.

Knowing is Half the Battle…

3. accp says:

No NHL Hockey till September 2013-2014 Training camp starts. that was the plan all along. don’t let Buttman and Fehr fool you.

4. RonC says:

Been a Hab fan for a very long time – was the only team I cheered for till Winnipeg got the Jets (the new ones). I live in Winnipeg, and cheer for the Jets when they play anyone, except Montreal. Because we here in Winnipeg just got our team last year..I will go to some of our games…whenever… I am totally against the players…this get whatever you can without regards to fans is upsetting in the least. Don’t like Fehr & actually am starting to like Bettman more. Changed my mind about players I liked…especially with Montreal & the Jets…like Chipman even more than before. My opinion…Have a good day!!
    Winnipeg Habsfan

• Kooch7800 says:

You lost me at liking Bettman. He is the reason we are in this mess with his expansion into places that the league need not be.

The GM’s are also responsible for the salaries and contracts circumventing the CBA….not the players.

I don’t like Fehr either but Bettman is a HUGE problem

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• wjc says:

So not true, but beliefs are hard to change, so enjoy.

Contracts were not circumvented, everyone knew there was a possibility of a new CBA…agents, players, managers, pop corn maker, ice cleaners, sweepers….so spare me the victim bull.

Expansion is not the fans concern, attending games, buying crap and eating poorly made expensive deep fried food, with warm beer is what you are supposed to do.

Fehr is the king of some turd island, where he can do no wrong.

Look what you have reduced me to, it is all your fault anyone can see that….I am a victim too….boo hoo.

wjc

5. Sean Bonjovi says:

For future reference, just so everyone is clear on my position I’d like to state the following opinions for the record.

1. Chris Kreider, Ryan Callaghan, and Dustin Brown, all suck!
    2. Jeff Skinner is the biggest diver in the NHL
    3. Mike Green doesn’t score much anymore because he started playing defence and he’s good at it, so Mike Green is a solid all-around player now.
    4. Brandon Dubinsky also sucks.
    5. Fedor Tyutin is Awesome!

6. Thomas Le Fan says:

I am at the point where I hope both the NHL and the NHLPA crash and burn and something better rises from the ashes. I have no sympathy for either side, both being too stupid to live.

7. Bripro says:

This season has turned into a fiasco for multiple reasons. It’s a billion dollar business, and let’s be honest, we don’t know what the financial factors and implications are.
    The bones that I have to pick have to do with their apparent (if not intentional) non-challant approach to the CBA negotiations.
    The NHLPA hired Fehr when….. 2 years ago? And yet, he waited until after this season was over to sit with the NHL.
    And Bettman talks the talk, then disappears for days on end. Every week, we hear or read of there being no discussions planned for days (turning into weeks).
    Yet both sides, in their blinded arrogance, are quick to point fingers regarding lost games and lost revenues.
    And they say that we the fans are the ones losing out. If they truly felt that way, they would hire a mere fan as cooler-headed mediator.
    I guess they feel that we’re just to important to disappoint us. They don’t want us to see their true character traits.
    Yeah, that must be it. After all, we’re the greatest fans in the world, right? Oh hang on while I adjust my mirror so that I can remove the “idiot” tattoo stamped on my forehead.

• wjc says:

As far as NHL is concerned a non deal is better than a bad deal.

How are the fans losing….financially…..nope

Emotionally….maybe, but you got to be more stable then let a hockey shut down throw you into a spiral.

NHL is not going to put its future into the hands of a mediator.

NHL has to get this right, they will have to live with this deal for a long time. Players will skate merrily along making their millions with nary a care. Fehr will walk into the sunset with nary a care. The fans want/need a strong NHL so they can enjoy this game for years to come. If NHL does not get this right, the NHL will be wobbly and who knows what may happen.

wjc

8. Fake says:

Just to let all of you Drouin fans out there know, he is 5’9-5’10 tall, not the listed 5’11 on every website. So your smurf jokes, just got real. We already have enough small speedy skilled guys – Collberg, Gallagher, Hudon, and up in the NHL we have Davey and Gio. Tbh it’d be better to draft Ristolainen or another dman. Plus he is a one way player…

• commandant says:

I say take talent. If you’ve got the 4th or 5th pick, you can’t pass up Drouin’s talent. Even if I do agree he’s shorter than his listed height of 5’11”.

You just can’t pass up his kind of talent. Gio will be gone in two years. And you could trade Desharnais or Gallagher if you were forced to.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bripro says:

I agree. It’s funny you mention DD, because this kid has the same kind of play-making vision.

• Fake says:

Okay say the draft goes as ISS ranked the players

1. NATHAN MACKINNON C
        2. SETH JONES D
        3. ALEKSANDER BARKOV C

You’ve got pick #4, who do you pick? And what’s your reason for picking the player? http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=83144

• commandant says:

My pick at this point comes down to Drouin vs Monahan vs Lindholm…. Today, I’d take Monahan but its close, and Drouin seems to be closing that gap all the time.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bripro says:

Drouin wasn’t even on the radar this time a year ago. I think I called him the sleeper of the next draft. But the case he’s building makes him anything but a sleeper.

• bwoar says:

Drouin because we absolutely need to take an elite Quebecois talent when available.

• Fake says:

You guys remember when we took Leblanc over Kreider? How’s that working out btw? MTL should take the best available and size does matter when skill is close.

Except you are comparing an 18th pick to a top 5 pick. The talent difference is enormous. For the guys to be considered part of top 8 talent, you are starting to reduce error in draft judgement, go down to 18 and the risk bad judgement is increased greatly.

While I had friends in the OHL telling me Leblanc may not have been the best pick, I don’t fault the team for taking him, and he still may develop into a decent role player in the NHL.

I mentioned down below, it does help this club to have a few Franco players, you may not like it, but it helps. I understand why Leblanc was chosen over Kreider.

• commandant says:

Chris “4 goals in 25 AHL games” Kreider?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“Kreider Sucks!”
            – Sean Bonjovi

According to HockeyFutures, he has already grown an inch or two since your post. At this rate he will be Chara at Forward when he is ready for NHL.

• Bripro says:

Please don’t mention that name. Just the sight of it gives ma a rash!

• Fake says:

Wow, really? As stated by Ben and I thought everyone already knew, he is boosted up by his team to 5’11 although MacKinnon is also 5’11 and he is clearly a couple inches shorter than Nate. So yes HOCKEYSFUTURE** and other websites have him at 5’11 because of the QMJHL and his team. -_-

• commandant says:

You can see in my picture from Today’s Article that Drouin is shorter than MacKinnon (though I admit its not the best angle, and could be a bit of an illusion due to that angle).

That said. When you see both on the ice for Halifax. Its pretty clear they are not the same height, no matter what the Team Website says.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

What if Drouin uses skates with less depth of blade for quicker speed, would that compensate? :)

• commandant says:

1.5 – 2 inches?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ed lopaz says:

Mackinnon is now listed at 6’0 by TSN, and I would say Drouin is about 5’10.5

who cares? whats the difference? At 6’0, Drouin would be the same player with 1.5 inches more reach.

he’s listed at 185 which is fine for a 17 year old.

the whole discussion of precise height is ridiculous.

9. bwoar says:

Personally I think this is all garbage.

I can’t wait for NHL hockey to come back. I’m jonesing to watch the Habs play a live (on TV) game. Life isn’t the same without it. I will be right back in front of the tube, beer in hand, martini in the other, bourbon in the other other, even if they play a 12-game sprint to the playoffs.

And you can bet Evander Kane’s phone that every one of you will do exactly the same.

10. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Canada playing my second favourite team tomorrow at a Reasonable hour! Get the Coffee and Cognac ready! Go Canada Go!

11. Say Ash says:

Ah, nothing like good press to help your cause…

Evander Kane uses stacks of $100 bills as a phone

• Fake says:

PERFECT. I love what this is going to do for the players. I told you all the other Kane is better. What an idiot.

• Fake says:

deleted duplicate comment -_-

Yes that photo will go over well with the fans in Winnipeg, given the reputation he earned with various restaurants as I recall.

• bwoar says:

As a fan born and raised in Winnipeg, I know how thoroughly detestable most Sun-reading sports fans in Winnipeg are. I’m not too worried if a bunch of slug-headed TIG welders and mailmen get up in arms over rumour and a little bit of flashiness. This town is one big fat white crab bucket.

• Fake says:

Is this a rumour? -_-

• bwoar says:

I stopped cheering for the Bombers, not because of the retrograde management or futility (Habs fans can relate), but because I couldn’t stand the news coverage, the radio shows, and mainly the fans. I don’t mind Winnipeg, but I mostly avoid talking sports with people here. Not everyone is obnoxious, but most IMO.

Spend 5 mins trying to choke down the Winnipeg Sun’s coverage of *anything* and you will get the average Winnipegger’s opinion on any given topic.

This is one reason I am a big supporter of immigration!

12. Fake says:

I think I can speak on alot of fans behalf when I say, it has to get worse to get better. That’s why no one “cares” because the NHL is so corrupt. Don’t get the fans wrong. We will come back. But if it came back this season without a change, it’s for the worst. Because that’s to save the season, fix the game before you come back. Apoligize to the fans, pitch or move franchises that aren’t generating revenue. That’s it. Or else this will continue. That’s why I’d love to see the Decertification or w/e the other one is go to court. I’d love to see it fall apart. Because guaranteed the NHL will never die, and if it does, I know someone else will start a league, or most likely the same people will start a league.

Game report from Bulldogs loss in Shootout Last night.

14. Psycho29 says:

Honestly…..If they came out today and said that the season is cancelled, I would say “Oh Well” and move on. And I’ve been a hockey fan for almost 50 years.
    In my mind there’s something wrong with taking sides in a disagreement between two groups of people who individually will earn more in one season than I will in my lifetime (well 90% of them anyhow)
    But if they came to an agreement and had a 48 game season, I’d probably be watching every Habs’ game. I just wouldn’t wear my Habs jersey.

Yes I am a CHS™ (Cheap Hockey Slut)

;-)

15. habstrinifan says:

Heard on radio today that next slate of games may be cancelled by end of week. I dont see how that would not mean the final nail in the coffin for anyseason.

• wjc says:

As long as you can approxamately 48 games in you could have a season. Cancelling games through to say January 15th could be the last cancellation though, and then the season.

This is looking it’s darkest, but, that is what brinkmanship bargaining is all about. Pushing as hard and long as you can. Even if you lose the players can say we took it as far as we could.

There is no way of knowing when someone will decide that this is it. The owners will not accept another unfavorable CBA, so I don’t think they will crack, but who knows for sure.

Could be secret meetings as we speak, who knows.

wjc

16. commandant says:

What to expect from Big Name 2013 Draft Eligible Players at the World Juniors

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ed lopaz says:

very well written piece. here’s something to watch for, from my point of view.

the international ice is going to allow the speedier skaters to really shine.

watch for the “transition speed” that Drouin uses to catch the opposition flat footed, creating great space for himself and his teammates, as they leave the defensive zone and move into the neutral zone with a full burst of speed under them.

Drouin is particularly adept at anticipating turnovers while he’s defending, jumping on loose pucks, and accelerating to top speed so quickly that everyone else looks like they have been stopped manually by some kind of Playstation controller.

If Drouin is capable of playing this speed game in this tournament he will have surpassed everyone’s expectations.
      This is a BIG IF – so I completely agree with your analysis.

But at each level, he has continued to surprise, so maybe this trend will continue.
      “Stamkos like” speed at this age, “Kane like” hands, poise and vision well beyond his years.

Ed, the more i hear you drool about Drouin (I mean this in a good way) I really hope there is a way we the Habs could draft him.

We are kidding ourselves as Habs fans if we fail to recognize the importance to the franchise to have a potential elite player with French Canadian descent. Other cities don’t face this same scrutiny, but it is part of what the Habs have meant to their fans in Quebec, and speaking as a Western boy even I enjoyed the flair of having the elite Franco players.

Appreciate people like you and Ben who continually update us on young kids whom many of us never get to see play until a tournament like the WJC.

• scuba says:

You got it Ed. Drouin’s anticipation is unreal which forces a lot of turnovers. Watching the replay last night of last years semi-final I noticed how much Drouin reminds me of Jaden Schwartz. They both have that uncanny abillity to never seem to be under pressure and always able to create time and sapce for themselves. Expect a similar game from Drouin this year that will get better as the tournamet goes along. Much of his style is based on confidence and making moves on players that no one else would even try.

As Commandant says, even though Drouin has better hands and vision, the overall results may not be there as Schwartz was 2 years older but I fully expect Drouin to be turning heads by the end of the tournament.

• commandant says:

Exactly, he’s a great prospect…. as are MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, etc…

but the history of these great prospects (and even great NHLers like Stamkos, Kovalchuk, Crosby, Ovechkin and others) doesn’t support them being dominant players in this particular tournament.

I hope to see something exciting out of Drouin and MacKinnon, but I won’t be surprised if their actual impact is that of a secondary piece. I expect 6-8 points over 7 games, with 3-4 of those points coming in the games vs Germany and Slovakia.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

17. Hobie Hansen says:

Poll says majority of Canadians don’t care if NHL lockout is settled…

Even after Bill Daily’s and Gary Bettman’s tirade of a press conference, following the last counter proposal by the PA, I thought a few days later the PA was going to settle for the NHL’s offer. That would have been the last moment I could have swallowed my pride and slowly forgave the Players and Owners over a few months.

Now that two weeks have passed and we’re almost in January, I seriously hope there is no season. There is no way I want to see the regular season end in May and be watching playoff hockey in late June or even July.

CANCEL THE DAMN THING….. PLEASE!!!!!

All I care about at this point are the WJHC, Hamilton Bulldogs, Sarnia Sting, NFL Playoffs, Blue Jays and the Masters golf tournament in April.

When the NHL comes back, I promise them this, there is zero chance I’ll be spending any money on tickets or merchandise for at least the 1st year of their return.

And if Montreal didn’t have a good young crop of prospects, I wouldn’t pay attention at all. I’ll watch if I’m flicking the channels and notice the game is on but I won’t refuse evening shifts at work in order to watch the game live or make plans around the Habs.

It probably won’t make a dent in the billions that the Owners and Players make but this “fan” won’t be spending the couple thousand he might spend in a year on tickets, beer at the arena and merchandise for himself or as gifts…for a long time. I hope that if there’s thousands more like me they’ll really feel the pinch!

I think for a few of us here, the biggest reason we still want a season is for a fair and reasonable process of determining the draft order. (Assuming there will be a draft)

If indeed the season is cancelled I see little no percentage chance that Montreal finishes with a high end pick. For this reason alone I will feign interest and hope for a settlement.

• Hobie Hansen says:

You know what, if there was a season, I think Montreal would be right on the playoff bubble, middle of the pack, so I don’t put too much into the difference of our draft position with or without a season.

With Gomez fighting a flu bug and Bourque still injured I am not sure they can attain that. :)

• Mark C says:

Maybe. However, there is another negative that Burly didn’t mention. No season also means that Bergevin does not get to use the trade deadline to build for the future. Even if the Habs are a bubble team, I don’t see Bergevin trading long-term value for short-term fixes like we’ve seen before. I really believe that Bergevin and company would use the trade deadline to try and acquire players they have been targeting.

Good point Mark, we would definitely be sellers this season, a chance to perhaps get something for Kaberle, heck maybe even Gomez could have been traded for a draft pick with his contract now reaching an acceptable level for a team needing a veteran for a playoff drive.

• Mark C says:

I might be laughed at, but I think there could be a nice market for Kaberle. Small market teams will be DESPERATE to make the playoffs to help offset the loss of revenue. Any team needing a puck moving D that can help the PP might be willing to offer a nice package for Kabs (see Zidlicky, Marek)

• Timo says:

Maybe it’s a good thing. So far Bergevin hasn’t really set the world on fire and he hired Therrien.

• Bripro says:

Burly, sorry bud, but flogging Kaberle is like bringing a fire extinguisher to a forest fire. You hope for the best, but expect the worst.
            Too bad the previous Habs administration weren’t thinking that way when they signed him….or Campoli…..or Gomez….or….oh never mind.

And Timo, MB so far has re-structured the executive at every level, which was long-past due. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and be a little patient on that end.

• wjc says:

Hobie, I thought the thing was settled last time too, except in my opinion the players over reached and angered the moderate owners.

People say they don’t care, but I hate to say it “talk is cheap”. People will say they are not going to watch, and I suppose some won’t. But, as games start people will glace over for just a peak. They will weaken and rationalize and eventually watch, just like before. All it would take would be a Canadiens winning streak.

The anger would be gone and passion would be back, you will not help yourself.

There will be plenty of people ready to take your place buying tickets. Maybe you will keep your resolve but those around you will cave and take you with them.

You/I are just a drop in the bucket, new fans will come on board. Kids will start to watch as new fans and ask for merchandise and hockey channels and the cycle will continue, with perhaps a little hickup along the way.

People will say it was not actually the Canadiens, players/owners they were dragged into it by some evil men…Bettman/Jacobs perhaps and we will show the Bruins when Canadiens play them.

wjc

18. Strummer says:

Why exactly did the Habs put Hainsey on waivers after using a first-round pick to acquire him?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Cal says:

He was left unprotected during an expansion draft. I believe Columbus got him.
      EDIT- Thanks for the correction. A lockout waiver steal. See http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2000e.html for where he was drafted.

• Riga Fraction says:

He was claimed on waivers when he was brought up as an injury replacement and they tried to send him back down. In order to do so, they had to leave him exposed and he got scooped up by Columbus.

• Kooch7800 says:

He also isn’t a great D man. He was horrible in Hamilton and so far in the NHL hasn’t exactly been great either

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

If I recall correctly this was a result of the 2004 lockout, and Hainsey had been sent down instead of Streit. I seem to recall there was a gentlemens agreement amongst GM’s in the NHL that upon the start of the next season, callups going through waivers would be ignored by other teams as most were still rectifying there rosters from the previous lost season.

Of course because the term gentlemen was used, this precluded the idiot in Columbus at the time (that great sports analyst Doug McLean) from observing this agreement and he jumped at the chance of claiming Hainsey. This does follow suit with other good moves of his like the drafting of Brulet and many other wasted 1st round early picks.

Edit (I am probably wrong, but prefer to spin it this way :) )

19. JoaquindaPark says:

Obviously Hainsey is not getting it. Many Teams lose money, the players don’t. Hainsey like the rest of the PA, need to get off their culture of entitlement and make concession stat will keep the league functioning. This koolaid that they are drinking in PA meetings about how it’s all the leagues fault, and owners are not informed, etc., is very laudable from a leadership standpoint, but its leading the league towards destruction. I, a staunch Hab fan, at this point do not want a settlement anymore. After listening to current players complain for 3 months, I want the season cancelled, and look forward to replacement players. The fact that Stankos and Subban are playing road hockey leaves me completely indifferent. Et Viola!

20. Chris says:

Watching that video of Stamkos’ 60 goals posted earlier, something immediately jumps out…the VAST majority of his goals are off one-timers or deflections.

Out of the first 20, there were 17 one-timers or deflections and only 3 goals where Stamkos scored off a rush or by stealing the puck in the opposing end.

Obviously it helps to have Stamkos’ shot and accuracy, but it is also impressive to see how often he gets open. Cammalleri was the only Montreal player the past couple of years that could consistently score off one timers. Cole and Pacioretty get a lot of their goals off the rush, but most of Montreal’s forwards simply don’t hate that elite shot and accuracy that is required to be a true sniper.

• Cal says:

Stamkos reminds me of Mike Bossy (not his skating, obviously). Whenever Bossy shot the puck, he made the goalie move for it or found the impossibly small hole for the puck to get through. Stamkos does the same. The fact he’s doing it during the most tight-fisted defensive era in the NHL and against well-trained and coached players is all the more impressive.

• twilighthours says:

Unfortunately, Cammalleri never displayed any high-end talent other than his shot. He can’t skate like Stamkos, he doesn’t backcheck or commit defensively like Stamkos. He didn’t have the ability to find openings in the defense like Stamkos. And when the pucks aren’t going in for a soft, one-dimensional player like Cammalleri, he turns into the player we saw last year in Montreal.

The team still misses his shot, though.

• JF says:

If you look back at Cammalleri’s performance during the 2010 playoffs, he was very good defensively as well as offensively. In fact, he was good the whole of his first year with us. I really don’t know what went wrong the next year, but he was never the same player. Perhaps he can only perform to his peak level when things are going well; this is obviously speculation, but after his first year with us, he didn’t seem to have the same motivation – although he was good in the 2011 playoffs.

• ed lopaz says:

Brett Hull scored 741 NHL goals, and most of the ones I saw were one timers from almost the same spot where Stamkos is sniping them.

The Saskatoon Blades lost to Swift Current last night, the Blades with Dietz and Thrower had been on a roll winning 5 or 6 in a row prior to last nights 3-1 loss.

In the loss Dietz had an assist and Thrower had a fight, both finished -1 for the game.

Hopefully just a blip and this team can continue to build towards the upcoming Memorial Cup to be played in their barn.

22. Cal says:

‘Twas the week before Boxing Day,
    And all through the house,
    Only Led Zeppelin was stirring,
    Deafening that mouse.

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the province with the highest percentage of the ‘I don’t give a damns’ is British Columbia

…but this British Columbian does give a damn …not only do I give a damn that hockey is not being played for the fourth time, whether partially or for a full season during the past 20 years, but I am also outraged

…and, I am surprised more of Us are not as outraged as I

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

• Riga Fraction says:

Can only be outraged so many times and for so long before you simply stop caring. Most of us have reached that point with Bettman and these lockouts a long time ago. Now we simply just don’t care anymore, and some of us won’t care again until he’s gone. Fool us once, shame on us, fool us 4 times…. get lost, we’ll just wait for a new guy to take over before returning.

24. Phil C says:

So roughly 75% of the people who took the time to log into an NHL team news and discussion website when there is absolutely zero NHL news, yet alone team news, then felt the need to participate in a poll, say they don’t care if there is an NHL season. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

“I have always thought the actions of men the best interpreters of their thoughts.” ~John Locke

• twilighthours says:

I actually don’t.

• Riga Fraction says:

I’m with you on that Twilight. I just don’t care either, never have during the entire process to be honest.
        I’d be more concerned if a deal was struck tomorrow than I would be if the season were wiped out altogether actually.

I’ve watched Bettman’s tantrums far too often now over his tenure and I am more concerned with the damage he has done to the sport and to the league than I am about a short season. I want this to go on long enough for the owners that aren’t in his back pocket to decide that enough is enough and to bounce the little twit out on his ear to be done with him and his GARBAGE once and for all. Until he’s gone, I’ll never really care about this league again. I barely care about the league as it is now, and basically just watch the Habs because I am still loyal to them and I am forced to see how badly they get screwed around this week… oh hey look a 6’9 goon just broke a Hab’s neck after chasing him around for 3 games and they determined it was a hockey play so it’s ok.. oh hey look 11 straight powerplays for Carolina. Hey look the whistle went before the puck went in but they made up a new rule that play was continuing anyway and allowed it to stand anyway.

25. otter649 says:

801 individuals get surveyed & it’s suppose to account for what a majority or minority of Canadians think – Don’t think so not 58% of 801 Canadians as it is not much of a survey…….

• Bill J says:

Over 1000 have voted here. And unless there’s ballot stuffing (Habs fans would never do such a thing) it seems clear….

75% of people who care enough about hockey to vote about it on a hockey site. Don’t care if NHL hockey games return to their lives.

• Riga Fraction says:

Can’t imagine non-hockey fans would care any more than us. I figure if soccer were on strike and I was asked if I cared whether it was settled or not, I’d say no… since I really wouldn’t care.

I’m actually surprised with how high that number is considering the percentage here that voted no. (maybe they voted no out of force of habit?)

• twilighthours says:

Otter, this sort of poll is valid within a certain confidence level, likely 90% or 95% confidence. It’s all about mathematics, sir.

26. Mark C says:

Interesting comparable:

Player A: 26-9-6-15 and -13
    Player B: 25-7-8-15 and +2

These players are about a month and half a part in age, they are listed as being the same height, and are within 10 lbs. of each other. Both of the players are in the same league, yet one of these players is roundly considered one of the top prospects in the NHL, the other may not even be in his team’s top-5.

27. Ron says:

BullDogs lead Peoria 1-0 17:00 1st period. Chaput first goal as a Dog

EDIT: 1-1 end of 1st Dogs ahead on shots 10/7
    EDIT: Still 1-1 end of 2nd Peoria now lead in shots 18/15
    EDIT: 3-2 Peoria 4:53 3rd period Gallagher with the 2nd goal.
    EDIT: 3-3 10:52 3rd Chaput 2nd goal of night
    IN OT Dogs on PP shots were 26/35 Rivermen
    Going to SO
    Dogs lose in SO Gallagher scores their only goal.
    Good game, a few fights good come from behind to tie and get the point.

For all the talk of other leagues having a chance to steal players, sure don’t read many stories of North American born players enjoying their time in Europe or KHL leagues, compared to what the current bosses in NHL give or gave them.

Turris certainly has nothing good to say about Finland, granted he had nothing good to say about Phoenix either.

• otter649 says:

When North American hockey players get injured in Europe – They waste no time in getting back to NA to get their injury taken care of by NA doctors…….

29. Say Ash says:

They’re not polling the right people, ahem.

30. Cal says:

I hope the NHL and the players get what they deserve once they are back: half empty stadiums and hockey related revenue dried up like raisins. Both sides have demonstrated a resounding lack of common sense. Let them rot.

31. The Dude says:

To be honest , if in the last 20 years the Habs won a couple of Cups and were a perennial Powerhouse as in their past ,La Belle Provence would probably look like a scene from Beyond the Thunderdome by now!

@Bill J, regarding Jays payroll, the 108 million only covers the current 16 players signed. The team will carry many more players, last year the Jays had 30 players over the course of season on roster they paid for.

I heard on the Fan590 that the payroll will project out somewhere in the 120-125 range after remaining pitchers and utility type players/depth get signed.

I don’t know this forsure, but it will go up somewhat.

33. commandant says:

Sure they don’t.

Bet you the stadiums are all packed in Canada when the NHL returns

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mike D says:

Yeah….but they’ll be packed full of people that didn’t care when the lockout ended. ;-)

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Steven says:

My thoughts exactly. It’s basically tough guy mentality really. I’ve even said it myself, “I DONT CARE WHEN THE SEASON STARTS” but when it starts I’ll be watching. I can’t lie.

• kempie says:

Me too, but at this point, I can only get so excited about watching a 40 game season. For me, this season was lost a while ago so it doesn’t matter much when or if they get it settled. I’ll still watch on tv and it will be fun to see what we’ve got in our coaching & management staff and the young kids but honestly, I’m kind of glad that it wouldn’t really count as a season in my eyes. I think the team, as it is now, still has a lot of suck potential and a silver lining for me is maybe avoiding some painful nights.

I think the poll questions are now tainted by people not caring about the day to day updates. Once a deal is agreed upon, many hockey fans will be excited.

Having said that, we are all jaded by the league and its players (or one of the two).

Each one of these lockouts/strikes makes the players and teams less than what they used to represent.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree…BUT there is a lot of merchandise that isn’t being sold right now and I would bet a lot of people who won’t be buying any anytime soon. I know I won’t.

Might even buy the knock off jersey’s for 35 bucks out of spite LOL

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Mr. Biter says:

Canadian rinks and rest of original 6 will be full , but for a league that needs T.V. revenue that could be a real problem. Obviously since we’re sitting here daily with no season we will watch hockey when it returns, but for the casual fan they may not come back. Happened to baseball big time after their strike.
        Both sides will be losers regardless what happens when a deal is signed.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

34. frontenac1 says:

Hola! Numero uno? PfFffffttt!