Plenty to smile about

Fromage!

The Canadiens take their team photo this morning, no doubt still stoked by winning that excellent game last night.

There was nothing cheesy about beating a fast-skating quality opponent in OT. The crowd at the Bell Centre and fans watching the Canadiens and Coyotes on TV were treated to April hockey in October.

It augurs well for November and beyond

Carey Price is solid, Tomas Plekanec is earning his $$$ and AK46 has two game-winning goals – matching his total last season.

Red Fisher on AK46

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Markov almost ready

• François Gagnon on your first-place Canadiens

Tuesday Video Theatre

And how long will Josh Gorges have to star on the Canadiens D before Bauer learns how to spell his name? (Shout out to ddawwidd)

And another head shot, this time by LA captain Dustin Brown

7qBeA8v_dWA

Hilarious!

2. light_n_tasty says:

You’re right.  The panicked, knee-jerk reaction happened before last season.

3. mike g says:

They were surprisingly very solid….

I wasn’t too anxious about having Dave Randorf doing the play-by-play, but he surprised me. I remember him doing alot of Team Canada games a while back. But anyways, he was good and alot better than most TSN guys.

And Mike Johnson was great too. I like his smart attitude and non-biased approach. He will never bash a player and pretend he knows everything like McGuire does. Nor will he go crazy on a player and always mention that he once played in the NHL like Ferraro and Brunet always do. He’s a cool guy, and I’m really looking forward to him doing all our games on TSN.

I think I might even write TSN an e-mail, thanking them for providing us with rock-solid english HD broadcasts….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

4. pic1983 says:

I enjoyed it a lot actually.  Dave randorf is always a great play by play guy, and mike johnson just needs a little time to find his rhythm as a color analyst, otherwise he was very good as well.  It wasnt big and drawn out like the national broadcasts, so i actually enjoyed it.  Although i missed the “et le buuuuuuuuuuut”, I can certainly live without Brunet and his “oyoyoy”.

As far as smaller, local broadcasts go, the broadcaster’s in the states can take some serious lessons from TSN.  Have you ever watched a local broadcast on center ice for like a boston or carolina game? SOOOO brutal.

So. Let’s see. Price has more wins than Halak and The Habs are a +2 goals differential ahead of the Lightning, with both teams at 5-2-1.

Yes Halak is proving himself to be a bonafide number 1 in the league.

Yes Boucher has the potential to be a great coach in the NHL.

However, Price is proving himself to be a bonafide number 1 in the league, if not showing the potential to be the best of his generation.

Martin already is a great coach in the NHL.

Bottom line is the Habs made deliberate moves based on a long-term strategy and did not panic or react in a knee-jerk fashion to appease the fans, le media, or the HIO whiner-trolls for that matter.

6. Say Ash says:

I had it in Vancouver as part of the NHL Centre Ice free preview. Randorf calls it OK but Johnson was pretty lame. As my sales boss would say, that guy is flatter than p*ss on a plate.

Man, I wish I had RDS in HD here.

7. habaddict_andy says:

Ahahahaha!  Maybe it is funny too when putting Nunacanadian.

Don’t forget Nunacanadian post well during tough times, like August.  Its the regular season he has to be consistent with, stop
    being so lazy and actually be a pro poster for once, grow up and write.  We should be careful not to set up Nunacanadian again as our Troll, especially if he gets into another slump. Let
    us be careful with our attention of Nunacanadian and ignore him properly.
    The HIO praising Nunacanadian is not the way to go.  Nor is calling him the next Timo early in
    the year only to see him suffer around christmas, is also wrong.  We
    should support Nunacanadian the way we supported Toronto, when he is positive with praise, but honesty when he’s negative.  Enough of this using
    statistics to prove he is a thoroughbred that is old.   Let Nunacanadian earn
    his respect the way he wants

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

8. RGM says:

Wasn’t available here in Halifax – very disappointed with Eastlink today.

9. forskis says:

Wanted to know if anyone caught the TSN regional feed?  How were Dave Randorf and Mike Johnson?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

10. mike g says:

Hits to the head, huh?…..

So are we gonna identify each player who gets thrown out of a game like Brown did last night, as a dirty/wreckless player?

I find that really unfair. If you watch his shift in whole, he smashes a Wild d-man with a totally legal, but bonecrushing hit into the boards. He then backchecks hard into his zone, and hit’s Mietinnen. This was such a borderline call, and he better not be suspended for it.

If Miettinen doesn’t turn after his shot, or is standing up straight, it’s a shoulder to shoulder hit. And the difference between that hapenning or a shoulder to head hit, is less than one second. By that time it’s too late for Brown to change his mind, he’s already in-motion and decided he’s going to lay a bodycheck on Mietinnen.

And that’s where the problem is. This is a rule invented by the NHL for good reasons, but it’s full fo gray areas. Brown could have had him lined-up for 5 whole seconds, and then at the last moment just because Antti decides to turn, it becomes and illegal and dirty hit.

That can’t be the case in the NHL. The players with the puck are now in control of the physical aspect of the game. There’s no more threat of getting leveled open ice, because I can just turn and make you hit my head. All of a sudden, you who had intentions of getting a big hit on me, are now ejected from the game for a hit to the head.

I know it sounds crazy, and players likely won’t wanna do this because they can get nasty head injuries, but the possibility is there. Just like the new trend we’ve seen over the past 5 years, where players turn their backs to the play everytime they’re up-against the boards. You can’t hit them anymore, because you’ll get thrown out for a hit from behind.

It’s a really messy situation. Guys like Dustin Brown and Mike Richards were raised and coached to play a physical/offensive brand of hockey. These players thrive on scoring goals and smashing other players. They’re a rare breed of players that are wanted on every team. Yet, they’re both going to be victims of this rule.

The same way everyone here thinks Mike Richards is a dirty player, judging by last night’s Brown hit, you must all think that Brown is also a dirty/cheap player.

And that’s not the case….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. Clay4bc says:

Hey, that’s great! I think it was you who asked last week about how to get this to happen?

The only thing that surprised me about that story is that there were better seats available! :)

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

12. JF says:

I just noticed Andrei Kostitsyn was chosen as the NHL’s first star.

13. fbkj says:

thats amazing… st-lambert ftw 😛

14. 123456 says:

while i do not condone name calling (yes i did it once) u gotta love the reference to a classic show!

15. habaddict_andy says:

Look who’s back from the dead.  I guess it took some courage to start posting again.  Anyway, how’s the temperature in Iqaluit?  Here in Montreal it’s supposed to go up to 19 degrees.  But for your advise, I guess we can never be too careful.  😛

16. JD_ says:

Damn, that is one great story.

17. Velavok says:

Good win last night guys.

I was so happy that eller got a point, i was really hoping he could get on the board. I thought he played hard last night and it looks like the kid just needs a bounce or 2 to go his way to get some confidence going. Keep hustling out there Lars and the results will come.

Im very concerned regarding the 2nd line. Gomez and GIo need to get something going. Looked like they started with pyatt up there, then omen, then pouliot. Talk about a revolving door, seems we cant even find a winger for 2 shifts, let alone a game. Whoever ends up there with them, those 2 need to create more and take the pressure off the 1st line to always produce. Gio seems to be really squeezing the stick since he was anointed, hopefully he can shake that soon and get on a roll.

18. fbkj says:

OR how about lets cheer for the team however we feel like, thanks for offering your template though, however, pass

19. SmartDog says:

That’s why Boucher is such a revelation to the NHL (and now Tampa’s revelation… or revolution). He’s a strategist who THINKS and LIVES motivation.

That’s what coaches don’t do. It’s very old school. Apparently there IS a sports psychologist on staff with the Habs (not all teams have one).  But Martin and Muller are a product of their own training in hockey.  So they don’t have the right tools to do more than bench this guy, have a chat with that guy, yell at another guy.  Very sad. Poor asset management.

Hopefully they at least read books.  There are LOTS of good books on motivation… but you need to live it to do it well.  You need to understand people and sometimes fight your own reaction to do the motivating thing.  I can’t see our coaches doing it.  I really mourn the loss of Boucher.  To me, losing Boucher is a bigger mistake than signing Gomez. That’s how important I think this is.

Our only recourse is to hope there IS ENOUGH awareness in the coaching staff of how to properly influence players. I mean, life DOES TEACH a few things.  Not as much as studying and reading on a subject will, but some.  Hopefully.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

20. JD_ says:

When Gauthir knows that Price is playing at the time that the others know is when he is, then Ganiey won’t have to make the decision that Guthier wasn’t going to make, in the same way that it’s wrong for the other players who haven’t covered the blue line aren’t saying the same thing. This is why Delvecchio was wrong about the things that the Wings were going to have to do when he first decided that the time was when everyone knew except him that Howe wasn’t retiring to know everything. So, Price has to play when Auld plays the other side of the dressing room’s decision for Marttin who has the same thing with Price before Auld like Michel Plasse did when Wayne Thomas wasn’t the same for going with the same that Lapointe knew before. Told you so.

21. WetCoast says:

Just in case anyone forgot about the class of the Canadiens organization – last Thursday my mother attended the hockey game.  She is 96 and legally blind (she has some sight).  As she was being escorted to her seat the attendant asked if she enjoyed hockey and she told him how as a schoolgirl in St Lambert they would line up at the TRAIN platform and wave to the team; of course she remembered all the older players but her personal favourite is Jean Beliveau.  After the first period, someone from security came to get her (and the rest of the famility with her) and told her they were taking her to a better seat and someone wanted to meet her.  They took her to a room somewhere and in walked Mr. Beliveau who talked with her, gave her a jersey and a puck.  Then they moved everyone to better seats closer to the ice.  She was so excited that she can’t remember the second period (just as well) but it was a wonderful experience for her and one she won’t forget.

22. shiram says:

How awesome was it to see Kostitsyn play last night? I really liked Plekanec as well, using his speed to great results.

As for the GG line, I’m thinking they need a power forward with them, to open up the ice for them, but it doesnt seem to be something we have in this organization.

23. RGM says:

Don’t forget Kostitsyn plays well against the tough teams, like Phoenix.  Its the regular teams he has to be consistent with, stop being so lazy and actually be a pro hockey player for once, grow up and win.  We should be careful not to set up Kostitsyn again as our annointed top 6 forward, especially if he gets into another slump. Let us be careful with our praise of Kostitsyn and praise him properly.  The habs issuing a press release telling us to cheer for Kostitsyn is not the way to go.  Nor is annointing him as the next Lafleur early in the year only to see him suffer around christmas, is also wrong.  We should support Kostitsyn the way he should be supported, when he wins with praise, but honesty when he loses.  Enough of this using statistics to prove he is a thoroughbred that is old.   Let Andrei earn his respect the way he wants

24. shiram says:

I would think that might the organization look bad for players. Not only do they have less salaries here because of taxes, but if we bury veterans like that, it doesnt make Montreal an attractive place to play.

Add in flip flopping fans, and an intrusive media and well….

25. nunacanadien says:

Don’t forget Price plays well against the tough teams, like Phoenix.  Its the regular teams he has to be consistent with, stop being so lazy and actually be a pro hockey player for once, grow up and win.  We should be careful not to set up Price again as our annointed number 1, especially if he gets into another slump. Let us be careful with our praise of Price and praise him properly.  The habs issuing a press release telling us to cheer for Price is not the way to go.  Nor is annointing him as the next Dryden early in the year only to see him suffer around christmas, is also wrong.  We should support Price the way he should be supported, when he wins with praise, but honesty when he loses.  Enough of this using statistics to prove he is a thoroughbred that is old.   Let Carey earn his respect the way he wants.

26. Bryan says:

I’M GOING WITH JERK STORE

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

27. Bryan says:

I think he was saying that all of our previous wins were vs. bottom feeders, and that this was a win over a contender.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

28. pic1983 says:

I dont understand this whole thing that its wrong to criticize in a win.  The truth of the matter is, if our top line goes dry, were done.  The secondary scoring has to improve, our powerplay needs to improve, and Spacek/Gomez/Gionta/hammer NEED to be better.  If we want to continue our winning ways, these things need to be addressed.

E-mail came up so I deleted!

30. LA Loyalist says:

Hey Mr. Poop: — you know I have probably bagged on nGomez as hard as anyone in these pages (and been flamed for it plenty).

My question is: in 2010 don’t the coaches have any better solutions to performance issues than sticking someone on the 4th line or cutting their minutes? (I do see some use in sitting in the press box for  perspective on game, every time I sit in a new section at a game I find it fascinating how the game looks different.

Doesn’t anyone (Muller?) sit with him and look at video?

If a fan like me can look at NHL highlights for 15 freaking minutes and see that MOST (not all) goals are being scored from GOING TO THE SLOT  and working around the net how come he can’t? Maybe he can’t score – but supposedly he has the skill to saucer/feather passes in there for his line mates. Some poster claimed he “creates space for this scoring linemates” — but he’s no threat at the net.

Anyway, what do you think a solution is? It’s like the old joke, if you owe the bank a million dollars, you have a problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, the bank as a problem.

We have an $8m problem that we are stuck with. What creative solution is out there?

“insert tagline here”

31. RGM says:

That’s what she said!

32. HabFanSince72 says:

The debate over whether or not it was a “head” shot misses the point. The damage comes not from the direct blow to the head but from the sudden violent movement of the head.  A blindside hit to the shoulder causing the head to snap is also dangerous.

33. Hobie Hansen says:

Ya that’s definitely a shot to the head. I’m not sure if he was trying to knock him silly but he did have time to notice the opposing player was in somewhat of a vulnerable position and went out of his way to nail him.

The greatest hockey game ever played.

A perfect Christmas gift for the true Hab fan.

35. RGM says:

Where’d you get your clothes? The toilet store?

36. pic1983 says:

Well Dustin Brown isnt normally a dirty hitter.   I was kind of shocked that he of all people blindsided a player like that.  He is generally the oppitimy of how you play physical while still playing clean.

37. pic1983 says:

The only problem with Pk on the point on the PP is that it seems like he has so many ideas of what to do, that it creates a delay in execution.  Also, when he goes for the shot, he tries too hard to hammer it.  Sometimes a good low shot is better than trying to blast the puck through the net.

I truly think Markov will fix all of our powerplay woes.  I hate to agree with Pierre Mcguire, but he was spot on in his assesstment that the PP needs a good decision maker on the back end.  I was already thinking about how JM should try a forward on the point on the PP last night, but couldnt figure out which one.  I think Pierre had a good idea in saying that Pleks should play the point on the PP in markovs absence.  He’s our best decision maker by far.  He can shoot, he can pass, and he is very strong defensively.

38. adam76 says:

Last night was interesting.  Last season, that would have been a one point game.  The team (esp Price) has a swagger, a confidence.  Lets hope they can keep it going.

39. LA Loyalist says:

Good job Habs. Looks like everyone worked hard. Yotes are a good team.

Cammy’s goal and AK’s winner were both the direct result of going to the slot in traffic, not noodling around the blue line.

I trust the coaches will point that out.

“insert tagline here”

40. 123456 says:

me thinks it was just a cleaning…but my dentist is not open late at night….hmmmm i must not have super star status. maybe as the season unfolds the excuses will get better and better (i’m all for that).

is a dental problem is an “upper body injury”?

41. Psycho29 says:

OUCH! Good one!!!   :-)

42. 123456 says:

i agree it was a hit to the head but you certainly are allowed to finich a check – meaning you have about a second to hit a guy after he shoots or passes. the issue hear is not only the hit to the head but the oppotunity for brown to just hit him in the body…

43. boneheadslanger33 says:

Bottom feeders? The Coyotes finished last season 4th in the West with 107 points. That’s 19 points more than the Habs, and they were obtained in the tougher conference. Last night’s victory was not a result of the Habs beating bottom feeders…

44. 123456 says:

nice post. i’d like to believe that income will have nothing to do with who sits. certainly that and politics play some part but let’s hope JM can step above those. like yourself i note that gill has not always played well. i’d like to see a rotation where most of the dmen take turns sitting out – specifically gill, subban, obyrne and picard. also would be nice if spachek and hammer were rotated out. this would help keep guys fresh inseason and especially for the playoff (assuming the habs will be in). assuming no injuries two per game would sit out – i do not know the dynamics of the team but sitting subban would be effective if he were to sit with a vet like gill and use the live game as a teaching tool…watching video is a tool but you do not get emotional during the process as you will while watching the game live.

45. JIMVINNY says:

You’re crazy, man. Brown puts his elbow right on the point of Miettinen’s chin. The elbow is tucked, so it’s not elbowing, but it’s a textbook blindside headshot. He could have hit him in the shoulder and it would have been perfectly fine, but he did a fly-by and went after the head. That’s a suspension, no question. Not to mention the hit was after the puck had been released, taking away any chance that the intent was to separate the player from the puck.

46. avatar_58 says:

Oh yeah?? Well the jerk store called….

47. SmartDog says:

I agree about pushing Gomez to 3rd line or just benching him for a game.  No matter how you “FEEL” about Gomer, he’s not getting it done and doesn’t seem to be doing anything different TO get it done.   Whether I like him or not I want him to play better and he needs a big wake-up call, no question about that.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

48. JIMVINNY says:

Nope, it was right on the jaw. Textbook blindside headshot.

49. 123456 says:

the brown hit was head contact, with all the opportunity to avoid it.

50. Mattyleg says:

…I don’t think he checked his head. Upper shoulder.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

51. Mattyleg says:

Did you think of a comeback as you fell asleep last night?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. Mattyleg says:

Couple ‘o thoughts:

– Great win last night, we’ve had the habit in the last couple of years of losing to bottom feeders, and winning against contenders. Now let’s hope we can beat them both.

– Gomez onto the 3rd line, Eller centers Gionta with Pouliot.

– That Brown hit was not head-contact. He caught him on the inside of his shoulder, and I hope that cooler heads (heh) prevail in NHLHQ. I hate head-shots, but that wasn’t one of them. Looked it, but the harsh judgement on the ice should be enough punishment.

– Price is playing fantastic. This is what we’ve all been waiting for.

– Burn offerings and kneel before your Gods that AK stays healthy. Last 2 seasons he’s gone on a tear only to get banged up, then come back a shadow of his former self.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

53. Hobie Hansen says:

Only over Spacek!

54. j2w4habs25 says:

Ahaha you gotta love Montreal!!!! you wouldnt think in Florida they would get this deep.

55. adam76 says:

Calling out Tom from last light:

Are you really that arrogant to say that anyone who believes Eller would benefit long term with some more mins in the AHL sounds “clueless”?  Are you really comparing Gionta to Eller?

I decided to focus on watching our defense last night and it appears that Martin will have an interesting decision to make once Andrei Markov returns. Markov will give us eight healthy Dmen who all fit under the cap. Gorges is doing what he does best and Gill certainly isn’t going to sit out even though his play and been very uneven so far. That’s his history so I guess we’ll just have to wait. Spacek and Hamrlik really should be on the 3rd pairing but that’s tough to do with a combined income of 9.5M. Their play goes up and down like a yo-yo but they do have tons of experience when it comes to the playoffs. There certainly hasn’t been any evidence that Martin would sit them down. However, being rested for a few games throughout the season might prove to be beneficial for them as well as the three younger guys.

PK Subban is a work in progress as he really didn’t play that well last night. Way too much running around in his own end which leads to him being caught out of position. He’s going to get burned a few times once we start playing some elite forwards. He needs to do more by doing less.

Punkster (the voice of reason) makes an astute observation about Subban telegraphing his plays. “That big wind up for the slapshot and the fake pass then spin the opposite direction in our zone…he’s a rookie clearly. A talented and gutsy rookie but a rookie.” Hey Subban, you’re not Serge Savard just yet:-)

Then there is the surprising play of Picard. He doesn’t really use his size to advantage (neither do any of the other Dmen) but he’s been as steady as they come. How in the world do you sit this guy down after his rock solid play during the first ten games? He sure can’t go down to Hamilton seeing that he would be picked up on waivers for sure. Same goes for the forgotten man – Ryan O’Byrne. He’s really on the outside looking in these days and probably will only get back in the line-up as an IR fill-in.

Markov is going to need some time to find his game once he returns. Hab fans view him as the team’s messiah but history states that a return after missing the start of the season is one of the toughest things to do in the NHL. I think it’s pretty obvious that OB will sit. Martin could dress seven Dmen or he could sit down another blueliner. The tough question is who will it be? I would vote for Subban just to knock him down a peg and let him realize that he is still on a steep learning curve. However, he plays on the right side and we are already over-loaded on the left (just ask Spacek). The other concern is that whoever plays with Markov is going to get a ton of ice time. Most fans thought it would be Subban but Spacek could also take that spot. Either way, that may not be beneficial.

It certainly is going to be a tough call and one that is probably going to cost Picard an undeserving trip to the press box. Martin needs the courage to sit someone else. Make it so.

57. Hobie Hansen says:

Both are definitely liabilities when on the ice. Now that you mention the delay of game penalties I see where you’re coming from a little better.

Why don’t the Habs just bury Spacek in Hamilton and continue to pay his salary while going after a guy like Bieksa? We could clearly use a little more toughness not only on the blue line but on our team in general.

58. GPK says:

Maybe he’s using Laraque’s old gloves? But wait a minute…that means BGL would’ve had to have dropped them. No, can’t be it…

59. HabFanSince72 says:

You want O’Byrne defending a lead in the 3rd period?

60. HabFanSince72 says:

This is close to blasphemy, but what if the problem with the 2nd line is Gionta?

61. Hobie Hansen says:

I would probably make excuses to not speak to the media after the game if I were Price as well.

62. RGM says:

Well call the funny farm and have them pick me up, then. I have really tried to like O’Byrne as a player, I really had hopes that he’d develop into a dominating, powerful defenceman. It just hasn’t worked out that way. For a guy that’s 6’6″ he often plays smaller than Gionta. He can’t be trusted if there’s a delayed penalty against the other team. Delay of game penalties.

Spacek’s not exactly Norris Trophy material either, mind you, but at a minimum it’s a coin flip; at best, Spatch has a leg up on him by a good distance.

The Canucks are rumoured to be shopping Kevin Bieksa, and while a straight swap for either Spacek or O’Byrne isn’t feasible from a cap perspective (not to mention Spacek’s limited NTC), it would be an upgrade for our blueline corps.

63. Mike Boone says:

Skepticism in the pressbox about the dentist story. Price’s teeth worked well enough for a post-game chat with his cousin, Shane Doan, outside the Phoenix room.

64. linp says:

A good win but other teams will be focusing on stopping our only scoring line. To get our 2nd line going, we need another winger like AK, who can hit to gain control of the puck or pick up a rebound to score. Gionta likes to shoot. But he didn’t pick the corner. Gomez is still playing like Gomez. He needs someone to pass the puck. Do we have someone who fits the bill? Moen and Pyatt are checkers. They can’t score. I find Eller plays better as a centre than as a winger. He also needs to gain some weight to support his game. No doubt his puck skill is the best among the bottom six forwards. With the centre position of the top two lines already set for the next few years, Eller will have to develop his game as a winger. He’ll need to get stronger physically. As for this year, we still have to rely on Pouliot to play on the 2nd line.

The PP needs a one-timer on the blue line. Subban has to practise his one-timer. Spacek is so slow now and can’t win any puck one on one. Hamrlik played solid last night.

65. SmartDog says:

I didn’t say don’t celebrate.

I agree – a win is a win, and just those nice goals are worth the celebration.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

66. Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t think O’Byrne is lights out either but you’d have to be crazy to say you’d rather have Spacek defending a 1 goal lead or at any point of the game over O’Byrne. And yes unfortunately management will give Spacek the nod because of his ridiculous contract.

67. habsguy says:

I could care less how many wins the Yotes have,  a win is a win and I’m celebrating it!!!

68. SmartDog says:

Good win last night.  I love seeing Kostitsyn play this way.  Reminds me of two years ago – he and Pleks were dynamite.  The way those guys rush is awesome!

But let’s remember that the Yotes have only 2 regulation wins this year.  Don’t pick out your parade dress yet.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

69. kakey says:

Some players are so trained into “finishing the checks” that it’s gonna take a season or 2 to change the mentality. Remember how players were flabbergasted by all the small hooking calls after the lockout? Now they’re finally used to it.

Also this hit had no positive effect defensively since the shot was already triggered. It would’ve been more useful if he just put his stick down to deflect the shot.

70. SmartDog says:

Good penalty on Brown – game misconduct.

It’s a lot later than it should have been, but nice to see the league ACTUALLY enforcing this.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

71. RGM says:

The thing I find most disconcerting about it is that Brown was actually complaining very loudly to the official that he did nothing wrong.

Textbook example of what informed folks are talking about when they say that there’s no respect among the players.

72. RGM says:

There are approximately 3.8 million reasons why Spacek won’t be sitting so that O’Byrne can take a spot. He hasn’t been that good, but he is still an improvement over #20.

73. kakey says:

That’s almost a replica of the Cooke hit on Savard, and fortunately, minus the concussion.

74. Hobie Hansen says:

Nothing bothers me more than when somebody isn’t happy enough with a win and has to point out a few small negatives.

In this case however, the only negative was extremely noticeable. Spacek was not just bad last night he was completely brutal. I’ve heard many people trash him lately and I’ve come to his defense without really paying too close attention to him. So last night I watched each time he was on the ice and in particular in the defensive zone. I don’t think he won a single puck battle or was able to fend off one opposing player. He was pushed aside, danced around or just plain knocked off the puck all game. Even if he was lucky enough to get to a lose puck he’d clear it right into someone’s skates and the play in our end would stay alive.

Sorry guys I had to pint that out. Otherwise I’m ecstatic with our club. Price and Kostitsyn are playing so well that my heart fills with pride just thinking about them.

If the Habs were smart, when Markov returns they’ll play O’Byrne or Picard in Spacek’s place.

GO HABS GO!

andrewberkshire's picture

Mr. Kerley how do you like Andrei’s play this year? He’s tied with Nathan Horton for the most goals of any player taken in 2003 thus far this year.

24 Cups's picture

Hey Andrew – I knew this would be coming but I jsut wasn’t sure who would be first!!!  It’s still early but all the signs are there for that breakthrough year.  It’s not just the goalscoring that I’m impressed with but rather his demeanor and state of mind on the ice.  He seems to be realizing just how great the limelight can be.  I imagine it is also increasing his status with his teammates.  The return of Markov will eventually (Markov is going to need some time) increase AK46’s PP opportunities as well.

I have been pretty hard on Andrei since I’ve been on ths site but with good reason.  Most other teams had a building block from that draft year and we had a half-miler. Our four young players all had to step up this year if we were going to once again challenge in the playoffs.  AK46 and Price are off to great starts and Pouliot and Subban still have time to hit their mark and show they are important cogs in the Hab wheel.  All the positives are there but they just need to get to the next level.

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/ (JT’s take on Andrei)

Cheers,