Plenty to smile about

The Canadiens take their team photo this morning, no doubt still stoked by winning that excellent game last night.

There was nothing cheesy about beating a fast-skating quality opponent in OT. The crowd at the Bell Centre and fans watching the Canadiens and Coyotes on TV were treated to April hockey in October.

It augurs well for November and beyond

Carey Price is solid, Tomas Plekanec is earning his $$$ and AK46 has two game-winning goals – matching his total last season.

Red Fisher on AK46

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Markov almost ready

• François Gagnon on your first-place Canadiens

Tuesday Video Theatre

And how long will Josh Gorges have to star on the Canadiens D before Bauer learns how to spell his name? (Shout out to ddawwidd)

And another head shot, this time by LA captain Dustin Brown

Just sayin’.

I agree the Blues are in a tough division but so are the Habs. The NE teams play each other pretty even.

Halak has played less games it’s true. His GAA and sv% stats are better than Price’s. Nevertheless both are playing great. The Habs had two young goaltenders and went with Price. Halak has his chance to be a number 1, with all the responsability and pressure that comes with it. So does Price. Both are rising to the challenge. I’ll admit I had more doubts short-term about Price but I am seriously glad and impressed with his play up to now.

Boucher is already turning Tampa Bay around and they look like they are for real. Weak on D a bit and goaltending but they do have fire-power, have Stamkos and Hedman, and are playing Boucher’s up-tempo game pretty well.

My point is that regardless, I hope Boucher and Halak success, it’s a sign that the Habs are great at attracting talent, logistics dictate that not everybody can be kept, without changing what was already an in place strategy at any rate. Martin I am begrugdingly starting to warm to. I do remember his Senator teams having a lot of offensive ability and we’ve already listed the players he’s had a hand in developing. So is AK the next Hossa? What about Pouliot?

Somebody said it earlier. Martin wanted to coach. No moving upstairs for him. I think now in Hamilton they’ll be playing a style more conducive to what JM is bringing on the big team. The players coming out of Boucher’s system were too explosive for JM.

This is a competitive sport is it not? For us Habs fans at least it makes for a great story line!!!

2. ZepFan2 says:

Oh I know that. It’s just, he got the ball rolling, so to speak.

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

3. pic1983 says:

I just dont give him credit for those series wins last year.  With just a “good” goalie instead of a “BONKERS” goalie, we dont win either of those series.  It was a team effort, and a lot of shots were blocked and opportunities cashed, but “sit tight and hang on for dear life while the goalie stops everything” is hardly a coaching strategy.  He had no answer for philly, and it was blatantly obvious that he got brutally out coached by laviolette when the stellar goaltending dried up.  Also, Pittsburgh and Washington were offensive teams, which makes it easier for Jacques Trademark Stifling defensive “system”.  Once we played a strong defensive team like Philly, he had no answer for them.  Just like how we got schooled by Jersey last week.

He still has a chance to win me over, but Ottawa used to be my number 2 team (Byran Murray truly ruined that team), so Im sure everyone can understand why I dont like the guy, and why I wasnt thrilled with him being hired in the first place.  He’s dry, uncreative, and terribly inconsistent when it comes to how he handles his players.

If we finish 6 or better in the east, our powerplay picks it up, our penalty killing stays where its at, and some of our younger players like Eller and BP start producing, I will be the first one to throw Martin a bone, and give him the credit he deserves.

4. Propwash says:

Oooooor, maybe, just maybe Martin and the goalie coach did some behind the scenes talking to him?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

5. RGM says:

Hehe no worries my friend. I’m in a good mood today and having some fun with it. Do I see us as the Eastern Conference #1 seed in April? No, but it’s fun to enjoy it while it lasts. Heck, my father-in-law’s a Leafs fan and he was really enjoying “the first place Toronto Maple Leafs” last week, so now it’s our turn.

6. Habs1st says:

Watched the video.  Tough call and tough to call.  I agree with both sides of the argument.  Unfortunately, it may be the right call in order to reduce the number of head shots in the game.

However, what I don’t like, and what the NHL should come down harder on, is the stupid, deliberate, “I’m gonna kill that guy” incidents.  Whether this be a hit, a blindside hit, a headshot, boarding, hit from behind, a slash, a spear or whatever – the NHL needs to get rid of the garbage.  Maybe then everyone, players, fans, media, GMs, coaches will have more respect.  I know it is sometimes hard to judge, but others are more cut and dry.

As for consistency, I completely agree, the NHL has never been very good at applying consistency!  As for comparing something that happened two years ago to something that happened now, that may be a bit unfair.  Especially if the NHL consistently and fairly punishes incidents now that were not punishable two years ago, but are punishable now.  Rules changes.  Rules are amended and improved.  The headshot rule is a prime example.  Now, if the next Brown/Miettinen-like hit is not punished, or if the NHL says the Ref made a mistake, then the NHL is once again showing its inconsistency and will still need to improve its act.

Again, hitting is one thing – its part of the game.  Its the garbage that the NHL needs to get rid of.  I can’t remember the Lucic “stone cold stunner” on Komi (I remember Lucic man-handling him, just not the stunner), but I do remember a Montreal/San Jose game last year… Rob Blake knocked down Plekanec as they were fighting for the puck behind the SJ net.  Blake proceeded to repeatedly push/smash Plekanec’s face into the ice!  And of course, no call was made.  That is the type garbage I’m referring to!  You can slightly tug on a guys shirt, stick, or whatever and receive a 2:00 minute penalty, but you’re allowed to smash a guy’s face into the ice while his lying face first on the ice????  Gimme a break!  Garbage I tell ya!!!!!!

7. fbkj says:

we traded for gomez 😛

but you are right, 3rd that day

8. ZepFan2 says:

Actually I believe it was Gomez, Spacek, Gill, Cammy and then Gionta.

9. ZepFan2 says:

Research is a wonderful thing…

“It’s in front that Gainey arguably made his biggest move
    of the day. Off of a 82-point (39 goals, 43 assists) career season,
    left-winger/center Mike Cammalleri was brought in from the Calgary
    Flames with a five-year, $30 million contract.

Finally, the Canadiens concluded their spending frenzy by signing free agent Brian Gionta to five-year, $25 million contract.”