Plekanec on CBC’s Inside Hockey

Elliotte Friedman’s Saturday night “Inside Hockey” segment on CBC before
the Sabres-Canadiens game featured an interview with Tomas Plekanec.
Pleks hit some tennis balls with Stephanie Dubois and then Friedman and
the reticent Habs centre sat down for a little Q&A. It was about as
revealing as anything you’ll likely hear from the quiet star who might
be just behind Pavel Datsyuk as best two-way center in the NHL (and Boone thinks Pleks
is the best).

_byKbfwQ3dk

Plekanec on CBC’s Inside Hockey

Elliotte Friedman’s Saturday night “Inside Hockey” segment on CBC before
the Sabres-Canadiens game featured an interview with Tomas Plekanec.
Pleks hit some tennis balls with Stephanie Dubois and then Friedman and
the reticent Habs centre sat down for a little Q&A. It was about as
revealing as anything you’ll likely hear from the quiet star who might
be just behind Pavel Datsyuk as best two-way centre in the NHL (and Boone thinks Pleks
is the best).

_byKbfwQ3dk

1. otter649 says:

Pleks is in the top ten of faceoffs won (222) in The NHL due to the large amount he takes while his percentage is about 47% – Would rather have large the amount faceoffs won than worry a percentage such as would you want a high goal shooting % (less shots on goal) or a high number of goals scored (like Ovechkin in years past with lotsa shots on goal – lower %) ?

2. Nahlsy says:

Well, if there’s a debate about the best two way center in the league, whether people like what he said or why he said it or not, the Captain of the Flyers (Mike Richards) is as good or better than anyone in that department and he adds a significantly greater physical element to the game and much more leadership (as noted by the C he wears) than either of the other two mentioned. Disliking his comments doesn’t change that he’s arguably the best all around player in the league when all factors (offence, defence, special teams, physical elements, leadership, clutch performances etc) are considered. He’s a Gainey clone.

3. twocents says:

Nice piece on Pleks. I was quite critical of him two years ago, but he has done nothing but good things since. He has completely won me over with his play this year. Even last year I still saw times where he avoided the tougher play or was weak on the puck, but he has come a long way in that department. He’s been simply great this year.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Stats play into the argument though, hence why Mike Green gets consideration for the Norris. We may not like it but I think his faceoff numbers are going to work against him. Winning the defensive zone faceoffs are sometimes a big thing in a game and a defensive forward C should be solid on them IMO.

I still think Pleks is a great defensive forward, but I don’t know if the vote will go his way with that stat working against him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I disagree.

Gainey is the reason the NHL created the Selke. He was a winger.

I always thought the Selke was for the best defensive forward not who has the highest face-off percentage.

Plex for Selke.

6. CanadienBoy says:

Plak is what the NBA missing true stars without the ego

7. irak.zhao says:

Tomas Plelanac is an excellent player and a real class act..if there were more players in the NHL like him I would never miss a game..This guy in the net is the same..all they had to do was believe in him and he’s proving it now…..

8. Patient No More says:

ok. ok. I will be first to admit that I loved the game last night.   Price is great.  PK is fun to watch.  Our captain, (much maligned, at least from my perspective) was outstanding.  Too many good or even great efforts to list here.  I have been a fan since 1959, and as I approach middle age ( reduce snickering please) and while I remain less than patient, I am optimistic that the current group ( Gomez excepted) demonstrate, at least every other game a desire to return Les Habitant to their appropriate place in the NHL.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Love Pleks this year but I still don’t think he’s getting the Selke, his faceoffs must improve first.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Mind you krob started that thread. A few others contributed to a good discussion in favour of not only Plex but also Eller.

11. Bill J says:

Watch the video for the reason this is being discussed.

12. showey47 says:

Why would pleky join kaberle to play in toronto when kaberle is as good as gone from toronto by the trade deadline?

For the record I will like to submit this post I made a while back:

Submitted by HardHabits on Mon, 10/25/2010 – 21:26.

Plex and Datsyuk are comparable. I hope Plex gets the nod for the Selke.

14. Bill J says:

Kaberle will get easily 4-5 Million.  4 or 5 Million – when it comes to cap hit & the ability to sign a Top6 forward this off season does not make a difference… Does it ?

In order for the Habs to pursue a proper Top6 – do we not agree the Habs need at least 4Mill to offer ?

Is that not about what Hammer’s salary is….

Keep in mind, this discussion revolves around the Habs signing both Markov & Kaberle…. and I in turn think it is far more likely to see a Top6 Forward and one of the two.

All I’m saying, Markov & Kaberle are not likely to play on the same Habs team.

15. aemarchand11 says:

Kaberle is the only Maple Leaf I respect. I only see him in a Hab jersey because he seems to be close with Pleks, and Wilson has treated him like crap since he’s arrived. It would be nice to add him to stick it to the leaf fans, after all essentially we’d have swapped Komisarek for him. haha

2010-2011

16. aemarchand11 says:

I agree, probably 4.5 or so for him, but the market has proven to overpay for puck moving d.

Spacek’s 4million off the books in 2012 will be a nice cap relief to allocate to PK Subban and Price.

2010-2011

17. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Wow, Staal scores with 2.2 seconds left in the game against the Caps.

Going to OT now.

18. andrewberkshire says:

Doubt Kaberle would get 5 million. Won’t get into it now, but I think your math is a bit off.

19. Bill J says:

I think if they consider Price & Subban will be up for raises, they can not commit to as many as they have had 5Million$ D-Men…

Hammer gone, adds a Top6 forward.

Weber, Carle called up for cheap cap hits.

Space-K the next year allows for “possibly” Tinordi cheap cap hit call up & yet the raises to Price & Subban.

Capology sucks, but on paper I think Kaberle & Markov can not both fit in MTL.

The following is just a thought more then an actual opinion.  So please no ripping me a new one, thanks.

I think the Habs should really evaluate Markov, and quick.  Determine if they want to pursue him long term.  IF not, then put him on the long term IR – get Iginla.  And let’s go.  In the off-season go after Kaberle…

20. andrewberkshire says:

Kaberle could still theoretically be signed if Markov stays, we’ll need someone to replace Hammer.

21. andrewberkshire says:

The two referee system has thrown a wrench into everything. It forced a bunch of people who weren’t ready to come up into the pro ranks, and left a crater below them that had to be filled by twice as many people.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

AHL Officiating often leaves much to be desired, it’s no wonder the NHL has the guys it has because really, the ones under them are even worse.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. andrewberkshire says:

Have to say, looking at the game report from that game it looks like they got jobbed. How can you outshoot a team 45-21 and have even PIM?? And the idiots in Syracuse who picked the 3 stars are even worse, clean sweep for the Crunch when they were dominated, and 2 Bulldogs had the most dominant stats in the game. Only their goalie deserved a star.

24. Bill J says:

I really liked Plekanec giving props to Gainey.

Somehow I see Price saying similar things one day.

When Gainey backs a guy, he tends to be bang on.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Prospects: Bulldogs drop a 3-2 game to the Syracuse Crunch thanks to a PK that only managed to kill 1 of 4, which ended up being the deciding factor in the game, Desharnais and Pacioretty each had a goal and assist in the match.

They peppered the Syracuse Goaltender with 45 shots in the game, but only got two past him, lack of finish or a hot night, either way the SOG count didn’t lead to much in the end.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

26. Bill J says:

You know what – I agree….

IF Markov is “allowed to walk” I mean…

If Markov stays, I do not see Kaberle in MTL.

Here are this weeks stats on where we place in this 30 team league.

The number one most important stat for a winning team, is always goals against, because it represents the total team play.

You can never win a championship without total team defence. Just look at where we are this week boys and girls.

Goals Against– 47, We are in  2nd place.    Last week we were in  2nd place.

Total Points—- 31, We are in  4th place.    Last week we were in   3rd place.

Goals For——- 60, We are in 19th place.   Last week we were in  21st place.

We
    are so far ahead of last year, it is scary.  Yes it would be nice for
    everyone, if all the boys were filling the net. But their main
    responsibility is to prevent the opposition from doing so and they are
    sure getting the job done.

What a great team we have here now.
    We are definitely capable of taking home the big one this year, hang on
    to your hats, this is going to be a ride and a half each night.

28. joeybarrie says:

Absolutely astonishing to me to see people writing nonsense like Gainey shooting crap against the wall to see what would stick when he came up with this team.

He started with Gomez who has experience along with a few Cups. He added Gionta who had chemistry with Gomez and also had Stanley Cup experience. He put in Cammalleri on of the best snipers in the league and the best one available at the time. He brought in Hal Gill who was fresh from winning the Cup. Picking up Moen for some needed size and grit.

Gainey looked at the options at hand and brought together a good team. For the first time in a long time they are playing hard for each other and being led by a good coach who utilizes their skills well. We have a bunch of good two way players.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

29. habs001 says:

pleks to be the best two way player has to be way better at face offs  at the start of the pp and in his zone…he looses way too many key draws that has hurt us on the pp but we have survived it on the pk

30. aemarchand11 says:

I wouldn’t actually be surprised in the least if we sign Kaberle in the off-season.

2010-2011

31. Hockey Socks says:

Plekanec to Toronto? Forget it, Kaberle. How about you come to Montreal this summer?

32. Trenton_Romulox says:

I love Plekanec. He’s got a real team-first attitude. He’s a class-act. And he’s a hard worker. Need I say more?