Habs practise again while Beaulieu makes untimely off-ice news

The Canadiens practised again Tuesday morning in Brossard, preparing for the start of their first-round playoff series against the Ottawa Senators that kicks off Thursday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“They’re a good defensive team so we’ve got to be ready for a tight-checking game,” Canadiens forward Tomas Plekanec said after practice.

The Habs and Sens split their four-game series during the regular season.

There was some untimely off-ice news Tuesday with The Canadian Press reporting that Habs prospect Nathan Beaulieu and his father, Ontario Hockey League coach Jacques Beaulieu, are facing assault charges in London, Ont. Strathroy-Caradoc police told CP the father and son have each been charged with two counts of assault, stemming from an altercation Saturday at a house party that followed a charity golf tournament. Two people suffered minor injuries, police added. A June 11 court date has been set.

“We’ve been made aware of the situation,” Donald Beauchamp, the Canadiens’ senior vice-president, communications and community relations, told The Gazette. “The organization spoke with Nathan Beaulieu. Since it’s a legal situation for that reason we can’t comment any further.”

Beaulieu, a first-round draft pick in 2011 who played six games with the Canadiens this season, is one of the players the Canadiens called up from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs to practise as part of the “Black Aces” during the playoffs.

Jacques Beaulieu was nominated for OHL coach of the year this season after leading the Sarnia Sting to a 35-28-5 record.

After practice Tuesday, Josh Gorges said the Senators are a team that “waits for you to make mistakes, waits for you to get frustrated.”

“We’ve got to be smart. We’ve got to be patient.  We’ve got to – no matter what happens – stick to our game plan,” Gorges added. “It’s going to be one of those long, hard, drawn-out series (where) you’ve got to stay resilient.”

Coach Michel Therrien wasn’t made available to the media on Tuesday after practice. However, the players were asked about Senators players, including defenceman Erik Karlsson, who has made a remarkable return to play ahead of schedule from a sliced Achilles tendon injury.

“His ability to skate, to make plays, to read situations it’s unbelievable,” Gorges said. “He’s a guy that we’re going to have to focus on.

“He’s a tough guy to play against because you want to finish your checks on him because you don’t want him jumping into the play. But he’s pretty elusive out there.”

While some Habs fans were hankering for the team to meet the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first round of the playoffs, Plekanec predicted the Habs-Sens series will be a compelling one.

“It’s a Canadian matchup,” he said. “We’re two hours away from each other. It’s going to be bus rides there. A lot of fans on both sides are going to be at the games.

“It’s going to be an exciting series.”

The lines at practice Tuesday were: Gionta-Plekanec-Ryder; Desharnais-Bourque-Pacioretty; Gallagher-Eller-Galchenyuk; Prust-White-Moen; Halpern-Armstrong.

The defensive pairings were: Gorges-Diaz; Markov-Subban; Bouillon-Tinordi; Kaberle-Drewiske; Weber.

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

Habs prospect Beaulieu, father charged with assault, montrealgazette.com

There’s history in Habs vs. Senators, by Dave Stubbs

Habs rookie Gallagher ready to have “fun” in playoffs, by Pat Hickey

Penguins, Blackhawks the heavy favourites, montrealgazette.com

Penguins listed as 7-2 Cup favourites; Habs listed at 12-1 odds, by Stu Cowan

Rangers win Stanley Cup in EA Sports simulation, by Stu Cowan

Interactive road to the Stanley Cup, montrealgazette.com

Alfie’s last Cup run? by Ottawa Citizen

A look at how the Senators and Canadiens match up, by Ottawa Citizen

Find a way to win,” Senators goalie Anderson says, by Ottawa Citizen

1. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! The dilemma. Who to root for? Toronto? Boston? Of course as many of you have posted I hope they beat each other up (no injuries please) but we still have to root for someone, don’t we? Here are three reasons why I want the Leafs to lose.

1. The Leaf Bias Media. I actually dislike the Bruins much more then the Leafs. I think Julian is a good coach, I think Chara purposely tried to kill Patches, Lucy is a coward, and the rat, well, he’s a rat. All of that said, they are not playing very well right now. I think they are a mess. However, they are playing a team who does not deserve to be a playoff team. Toronto gets out shot and out played nearly every game. When Boston sweeps the leafs we won’t have to listen to the Canadian media sing their praises until next fall. That’s worth pulling for a Bruins sweep.

2. Boston stinks. Boston’s play this season has been uninspiring. They look lost. They don’t appear to be a legitimate threat to the Stanley Cup. As Jack (idiot mouth) Edwards recently said, “The Canadiens are a better team.” We are better and now they know it.

3. The Coach. Claude (The goon coach) Julien may be on thin ice. If the Bruins lose to the Leafs he’s probably fired. I think he’s an awful coach and I don’t want him fired. Let the Bruins win a series so they may be forced to keep him, ruining next season as well.

Boston in 4.

I will cheer for neither and just watch that series unfold. I don’t see how the Leafs win, unless they really start to play better. Just as we toiled down the stretch, the Leafs have as well. It was crucial for the Habs to start turning the corner at end of season.

We still need to keep improving, our series I think will be a whole bunch of 1 goal differential games.

• Habfan10912 says:

You’ve taken so much crap from those gosh darn Leaf fans this year I feel bad for ya. That’s reason enough for me to hope the Leafs go down in embarrassing form. CHeers bud!

• Cal says:

Morning, Jim.Laffs and Gooins? I’d like it to be a 7 game every one in OT affair so neither has anything left after the first round.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cal. I just want to see the Leafs and their media friends humiliated I guess. Shut them up for a few months anyways for my buddies living in the GTA. They’ve had a tough winter. CHeers bud.

• Lafleurguy says:

The distaste for the Bruins doesn’t make the choice hard. I would even choose Flyers over the Bruins.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• GrosBill says:

Wont cheer for either side but I would like to see the Bruins to silence TSN and regardless of the standings I always hope to see the Bruins in the playoffs. I have said all along I would like the Leafs in the first round, and still think we would beat them. Nothing compares to Bruins vs Habs in the playoffs though.

• wjc says:

You want Boston to win 4 straight? Why does Toronto media annoy you so much, they are just hyping the game.

Toronto does not deserve to be in the playoffs, says who? They beat the Canadiens 6-0 and 5-1. Being outshot is over rated, its the ones that go in that count, last time I looked that might mean they have good goaltending. They got the necessary points to qualify, so why are they unqualified? The Leafs scare you because they will become just as annoying as Canadiens fans are.

Yelling and trash talking and hyping the game is what it is all about. Don’t be afraid of losing, if it is there turn so be it. However they are not ready to win anything this year, so enjoy the run.

Boston playing uninspiring? So what, they might just become inspired in the playoffs.

You should be rooting for a 7 game series with plenty of hitting and rough stuff. Canadiens have a better chance against the leafs in my opinion. If Leafs are out shot, that is good, because it means extra chances to score. Boston has much more depth up front and they have Chara.

You predict Boston in 4 and you may be right, but I would think 6 or 7 would be better. Do not underestimate the Bruins they are a harder team for Canadiens to eventually play.

wjc

2. keithmacv says:

But no mention of how Quick kept the kings in a game they never should have been in……

3. HankHardball says:

Sens aren’t as good as they’ve been in past years. Their D will be undone by Habs depth.

Habs in 5.

4. Chilly Willy says:

Quick goofed up in a major way on the OT goal last night, on a 4 min PP as well.

If Carey Price were to do that Thursday night in OT he would need a Police escourt out of the Bell Centre.

• The Cat says:

Its Gainey’s fault, hes the one that planted the seeds that make it impossible for Price to be human.

• gmur says:

That’s awfully extreme… impossible to be human?

Price has been endorsed by Gainey, Gauthier and Bergevin as a top-tier goaltender in the NHL. Most analysts have too… That doesn’t make him a great goalie, because he’s not even close to his prime yet and hasn’t won the cup. He has a lot of things to prove, but, without Price, the Canadiens may not be where they are today… first in the division… home-ice for a couple of rounds…

More importantly, down the road he could be the cornerstone to a very good hockey team that will compete for many years to come. I’m sure Bergevin does not have him on his potential trade list.

Fans have to back off and let him develop as a goaltender. But in Montreal, that’s not a given. As one RDS analyst mentioned, at one time or another, Montreal fans were after many great goalies that gave the team a lot: Dryden, Roy, Hainsworth, etc.

5. The Cat says:

If Harding could lead the wild deep, thatd be a nice feel-good story.

Selanne had a patented goal scorers snipe last night. It is a joy to watch this guy play, absolute class act. Seems to never age.

7. John Q Public says:

Tick……Tock…….Tick……Tock…….Tick……Tock…….Tick……Tock…….Tick……Tock…….
    Go Habs Go !

Ryan Suter played 41 minutes last night. Jonas Brodin played 34. Everybody loves Gallagher and Huberdeau and Yakupov get the headlines but Brodin probably deserves rookie-of-the-year honours. The kid is still just 19 years old.

Maybe it’s just me but it seems that the most exciting, entertaining hockey of the entire year is always the games in the first round of the playoffs.

Don’t think it is just you 24, 1st round always provides great hockey, upsets, etc.. Perhaps also it is usually when the teams are healthiest and the players can physically match their adrenaline. Later rounds players are beat up, and often sloppy plays can decide games.

• 24 Cups says:

Great points, Gerald.

BTW, it took me 63 minutes to cross the border into the US at Queenston/Lewiston on Friday at 10AM. When I returned four hours later, I was the 3rd car in line at the Canadian border.

• The Cat says:

I guess its cause theres more games and no days without them.

• Habfan10912 says:

There is nothing better in the world of sports then NHL playoff hockey. Nothing,

10. keithmacv says:

wjc…troll much?

I was going to type something similar. Just read through last nights posts, and it is just amazing the inane responses that he felt obliged to post to virtually every post. Looks like someone got 1 hour of internet free time again. Sad.

• The Cat says:

Not saying it applies here, didnt see the posts, but one person’s troll is another person’s truth teller.

11. savethepuck says:

Ran out of room answering you Seps so posting new. Everyone talks about Halak’s performance but many are blind to the games he didn’t stand on his head. As a Habs fan I was elated in the games he stole, mainly game 1, 5,6, and 7 in the series against Washington. He also played good against Pittsburgh, but he had a lot of bad games too in the 2010 playoff series. He was pulled 2 or 3 times, and JM gave Carey a couple starts too. I have calculated his GAA answer sve % in those playoffs, and they don’t live up to the legend we hear on here from some. I am not trying to knock him by saying this either.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

12. Seps says:

Montreal logic:

-LA game was all Quick’s fault
    -Had Chicago lost, would’ve been Crawford’s fault because of the soft goal, need to UFA search in off-season, if Emery doesn’t come back soon you might as well write off their post-season
    -Detroit should firesale their team and tank

:-)

• savethepuck says:

Add to that if Montreal wins 3-2 or God forbid 4-3 Thursday night, with 2 OT games ending 2-1 and the other game 3-1 in regulation and an empty net goal, we’ll ll be informed that Price doesn’t have a top 5 GAA and likely top 5 sve% out of all the playoffs goalies this season.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Seps says:

I laughed, that’s very true. Then we’ll all get the pleasure of being told he’s average at best. Don’t forget “We won’t be able to do this every night against Anderson and we got lucky. Price has got to be better or we’re done.”

• savethepuck says:

Anderson has made a career out of standing on his head for a month or 2, followed by $#itting the bed for a month or 2. He hasn’t played enough this year yet to need the Depends, but it’s coming. He’s almost 32 and I know some fans here think he’s great or even unbeatable, but his career is telling me otherwise.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Seps says:

I agree, it’s weird he’s never stolen a series before and some analysts see it happening against a team with such a great offense.

Edit: Another interesting thing on him, he’s never had an above average save percentage when dealing with a heavy workload. With such minimal rest he may be exposed like you said. Where Price has played 70+ games with a good sv%, I like our chances.

• savethepuck says:

Although I do remember him almost single-handedly beating the Sharks when he was an Av in 2010, that performance was very impressive and probably one of the best goaltending performances in a playoff series in recent memory.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• Seps says:

Still lost in 6 games, Halak’s performance was more impressive to me. If you don’t win then what’s the point. He was good against NYR last year too but by no means unbeatable.

• The Cat says:

Yes it was Quick’s fault. Players can have errors providing they dont have them too often. Thats the key word there -often.

• Clay says:

Winning a cup and a Conn Smythe buys you a little leeway as well.

__________________________
        ☞ “And yet not choice but habit rules the unreflecting herd.” ~ William Wordsworth ☜

13. habsfan0 says:

May 1,1965…48 years ago today..the Habs defeat the Chicago Black Hawks 4-0 in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals on a goal by Jean Beliveau at the 14 second mark of the 1st period..to date…still the fastest Stanley Cup clinching goal in Game 7 history.

Seems like yesterday.

That year Habs WON the Stanley Cup on May 1st..this year, the team won’t START the playoffs until May 2nd.

• savethepuck says:

I was exactly 1 month old when that goal was scored, born April 1st 1965 ( yeah I know it explains a lot to know I’m an April fool ), sorry to say I don’t remember the game but there’s a good chance I was on my Dad’s knee.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Teeeemuuuuuuuu!!!!

15. EricInStL says:

I’m starting to think Perry did it on purpose…..

I did not realize that this is Pac’s first playoffs. Not expecting anything beyond what we’ve seen this season (which is not much) but just never realized that he never played in the playoffs.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…neither have You Tim :)

• Habilis says:

Patches had 39 points in 44 games this season… That’s almost an 80 point clip over a full season. That’s better production than he had last year on our one functioning line. All that after missing like 2 hours to carve out his own appendix with a hockey skate.

Not trying to be a smartass here, but honestly, what would he have to do to impress you?

• savethepuck says:

Something tells me Max is probably a playoff performer. I have nothing else to go on but a gut feeling because of how quickly he always comes back after an injury that is supposed to sideline him for weeks. Makes me think the guy has a lot of heart and I think we both hope I’m right and you’re wrong on this one.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• wjc says:

Your ‘gut’ tells you quite a bit of stuff, does any of your other body parts ever have anything to say. Like your ‘gut’ is starting to a pain in my ‘butt’.

wjc

• Sportfan says:

PAC, Diaz, Tinordi, Dumont, Gally, Chucky lot of playoff noobs

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

17. durocher says:

Bickell would be a great UFA pickup for us. He’s big, can hit (he had over 100 hits in the regular season, and ran over Konopka tonight), and can contribute offensively (9 goals is not bad). He’d be a good, cheaper replacement for Ryder.

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

Post Script: …GO SAKUUUU GOOO !!!

• savethepuck says:

Imagine Saku coming back to the Bell for the Stanley Cup finals against the Habs. Would be sweet. Would not be cheering for him to win a Cup in that case though.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…bittersweet ?

• savethepuck says:

For sure. The poor guy didn’t have the opportunity to play on a lot of strong Habs teams and I always liked him. The year he got knocked out of the Carolina series with the stick in the eye when we were in the drivers seat in 06 and the meltdown in 2008 when we finished 1st in the East were his best chances.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• wjc says:

He may be a lot of things but he was/is not poor. You might of liked him but I hear he preferred women.

Please stop dwelling and whinning about things that happened 7 years ago, that train left the station.

wjc

• wjc says:

Saku, Not a factor in the win. Would you want an aging ex star or the young talent coming up for Montreal.

Really only two choices.

wjc

19. EricInStL says:

Zetterberg is a wizard with the puck..Too bad we don’t see him enough.

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…So, Phil Jackson is being chased by Tim Leiweke, former president and CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group (which included the Los Angeles Kings & it’s concerts group, AEG-Live) to be the new President of the Turdranna Ruptures

…among other things Tim Leiweke was head of AEG at the time of Micheal Jackson’s death while it’s live entertainment division was trying to encourage (push) MJ to go back on tour …AEG-Live is currently being sued by the Jackson family for a $ billion+ in damages for wrongful death and loss of future earnings on behalf of MJ’s children

…meanwhile, Phil Jackson will not, I am certain, come to an NBA outlier in Canada without the keys to the Canadian Mint

…should be interesting material for the talking-heads in the Centre Of The Universe for the foreseeable future

…kaching, kaching, kaching

…but it is Turdranna, and Jackson 5 years from now will be as creative as Bryan Colangelo with excuses why da Ruptures never qualified for the NBA playoffs

21. C-Sword says:

Koivu deserves to win at least 1 cup before he retires, GO DUCKS!

22. Bill says:

Good hockey games tonight, looking forward to more tomorrow. Though CBC will be nauseating beyond belief with the Leafs back after a decade.

Two more days until the real fun starts!

• Clay says:

I have to admit though – after the Habs series I’m looking forward to the Leafs-Bruins series more than any. I just love to hate them both. I’m a little torn, but recent events have me leaning towards cheering (that’s too strong of a word though!) for the leafs to win.

• savethepuck says:

Isn’t the saying ” hoping for 1 of those 2 teams to win is like kissing your sister”?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Timo says:

Ok, you guys are moving into some really creepy territory… even for me.

• Clay says:

Embrace the depravity, Timo.

• Clay says:

I was more hoping one would lose first, and then the other one. Since mutually assured destruction isn’t an option ;)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…blasphemy !!! :(

…let’s be positive and look forward to one of those ‘wars of assured mutual destruction’ thingies :)

• savethepuck says:

You could listen to Jack Edwards on NESN if you prefer Bill ;)

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• wjc says:

Your whinning is starting to get ‘nauseating’. Mute, mute, mute, or french station of do something else.

wjc

• wjc says:

Your whinning is starting to get ‘nauseating’. Mute, mute, mute, or french station or do something else. But pleeeeeese stop whinning.

wjc

• 24 Cups says:

The Toronto Star had a full, extra section of the paper dedicated to the team and it’s playoff hopes. The laffs are even driving Rob Ford off the front page!

I forgot Souray played for the Ducks. He also has great hair.

24. PrimeTime says:

How did Halak do tonight!

25. savethepuck says:

Are we going to get a 3rd 1-1 OT game tonight?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

26. Storman says:

Holy crap guys if Price made that blunder, the backlash might implode all networked devices connected to HIO website

27. Rob says:

This is where you see if certain people actually watch hockey or if they just watch the Habs. If Carey Price makes that play, it’s unimaginable that any quality goalie makes mistakes like that and he would be labelled as a non-money goalie and choke artist. The reality is every great player has bad games, streaks, plays. Remember this before you run another player out of Montreal.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

28. AceMagnum says:

Noooooooooo

29. C-Sword says:

Did both games end at the same time lol?

30. Clay says:

Wow, what a game! And as an aside, great announcing team.

31. Mattyleg says:

Anybody else happy here that Price can handle the puck?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• The Jackal says:

Oh yeah…. boy was that a costly mistake.

Too bad Hawks won too, I want those guys go get upset, IMO they are not as good as their record suggests.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

32. Mattyleg says:

Elliot shaken up.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. Skeptical says:

Montreal’s offense against Ottawa’s Goal Tending will be the difference. Which ever is best. Wins the series. I can’t see Price been better than Anderson.

• Bill says:

Price has won a playoff series before. Anderson not so much. Further evidence about it being about more than who is in net.

So Anderson has .933 career save percentage in the playoffs but has never gotten past the first round: that is what I will be expecting this time, haha.

• The Jackal says:

Agreed Bill.

Many posts about Price having to be better than Anderson or Price blah blah blah. The Habs need to be play better than the Sens collectively. If PK plays better than Karlsson, does that mean we win? If Price plays better than Anderson, but the Sens get better play from their O and D, then what? We probably lose!
        Goalies can play lights out but they can’t stop everything. Everyone needs to be at their best and not make mistakes.

Kings just got f’ed in the A by a mistake on the PP… Can’t really blame Quick for that loss and he played great, so did Elliot but he let in a goal at the last minute… What matters is the end result.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• alfieturcotte says:

I’ll take a .933 career save % over a .907% any day…..

34. Mattyleg says:

Blues have been on the back foot since the beginning of the 3rd.
    Don’t look so hot now…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. Bill says:

This place is so nice when the Habs aren’t playing, haha. Everyone talking hockey, no one being a dick, people even apologizing when they misconstrue someone’s remarks.

Well, let’s not get used to it eh.

36. Chilly Willy says:

Good night HIO. Sweet Hab dreams.

So Crawford is being praised for playing well, but 3-4 minutes ago Minnesota hits a post. So 1 inch inside and Minny wins the game, does Crawford still get credit for playing well.

Far to easy for many to give goalies too much credit and too much blame around here. Still a fricking team game, give the goalie good looks at shots and he should make them, hang him out to dry with screens, broken plays, 2 on 1’s etc…. and that is on the team as much or more than the goalie.

The Habs as a team need to play well, that includes Price.

• Bill says:

Crawford and Price are nearly identical goalies. Same build and style. Price is a little bigger and a little younger.

I’m thinking the media and fan pressure are slightly less in Chicago as well, haha.

• alfieturcotte says:

Hardly. Crawford 1.94GAA and .926 Save %; way superior to Price’s sub average stats sorry. Oh yeah, his salary is also $2.5MM.

Got to love the way Crawford and Harding are playing tonight. Note the score is 1-1. Price had better be sharp come Thursday and limit the softies he lets in…

Did Price bully you in grade school?

• alfieturcotte says:

Nah, just want the $6.5MM “thoroughbred” to actually begin performing like one. If he does, we may actually have a shot at a decent run in the playoffs. If not, we will go down quietly.

38. Chilly Willy says:

Price needs to grow his playoff beard. He was great when he had his Movember stache. He won the Calder Cup while wearing a beard.

For me, after a healthy Crosby, Toews is the guy I would build a team around. He plays the entire length of the rink and excels at every aspect. Captain Serious would be a great Hab, not to mention he is fluent in French.

• GrosBill says:

Toews is surely up there with the NHL elite. Proven winner, steps up at huge moments in games and as you said great two way player. Good PP and PK guy. Would LOVE to have him as our captain no doubt!

40. Chilly Willy says:

If the Habs loose to the Sens it will be due to the players not being able to beat Anderson not Carey Price not playing great.

41. Sportfan says:

Poor Wild, lol remember the Year they made it to the western final and they just couldn’t score.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Classic 1st round and opening day playoff hockey. All teams playing tight, every shot looks like it could go in. The tenseness of it is just incredible. Heard Theo Fleury on the radio today, he said the toughest round of the playoffs to win is the first round, I so agree from what i have witnessed over the years.

Two years ago, the Bruins getting past the Habs was by far away their toughest round. And only 1 goal seperated that series.

All the more reason, why Habs need to have a good first game.

• Mattyleg says:

When Carolina won, they said that the Habs series in Round 1 was their hardest by far.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

While I understand in theory how the Leafs could perhaps have been a better matchup, if the Habs can beat the Senators, a structured, well coached team, they could really make a run.

We can beat them, and for all the doubting of Price on this website, just as easily Anderson could shit the bed.

I look forward to the series.

• otter649 says:

In 2011 Vancouver was one goal & OT period away from being eliminated by Chicago on their way to The Stanley Cup Final against Boston…..

• GrosBill says:

Lesson learned by VAN and others in that series: Don’t cheap shot Seabrook or you will feel the wrath of Duncan Keith. He played out of his mind after that incident and the team came back from 3-0 in the series and lost in game 7 OT. I was really hoping they would pull it off!

• Sportfan says:

We have had a knack of making it a living hell for some teams to win the series. Of course we had some stinkers, but Carolina, Boston are perfect examples and of course Washington and Pitts didn’t enjoy losing in 7 :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• habstrinifan says:

The excitement is amazing. Ditto to everying you said, especially re the importance of the 1st game.

43. Bill says:

At the same time, I can never be happy for anything Justin Williams ever does. I despise him worse than Chara.

• Clay says:

Agree. What he did to Koivu was unforgivable. Might have cost us a legitimate shot at the cup as well.

• Storman says:

What Montreal reporters mainly a pair of French Journalists did afterwards was just as bad or unforgivable.

• Clay says:

I missed the Quebec reaction being in Western Canada – what happened?

• Storman says:

Later that night,,While at Montreal General Hospital a journal de Montreal reporter and photographer snuck into Saku’s hospital room only hours after arriving at hospital with his eye still to swollen and bandaged for complete diagnosis the photographer snapped a picture of his bandaged face as Saku wearing only a hospital gown tried to shield his eye from the flash…Picture and story was on front page of Journal de Montreal next morning total classless act…

• Bill says:

I believe he is referencing a creepy photographer who snuck into Koivu’s hospital room to take a picture.

Wow, lame.

• The Jackal says:

Whoops! Thought you were referring to another incident.
          I do remember that… Man, Saku and the media eh… Crazy.
          ______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• otter649 says:

Williams also cut Markov a game or two later with a high stick after nearly taking out Koivu’s eye…..

• Bill says:

I think the Habs had a great shot that there with Theodore being as great as he was and a balanced team that was really working.

• Storman says:

Wasn’t that the same year that Kerry Fraser with all his infinite wisdom made the penalty call to put us 2 men down for 2 minutes and turn the series around.. I believe the second penalty was on Therrrien for unsportsmanlike conduct after arguing an initial on ice infraction..

44. habs001 says:

Before the Kings tied the game one of their players basically tackled a Blues player in the neutral zone…

45. jols101 says:

Great hockey. Both games. Intensity is running high. OT’s should be exciting.

Habs can compete with any of these teams. Of course, like any team, Montreal’s best players have to be at the top of their games.

I must’ve jinxed it by thinking the back-up’s back-up was going to get the shut out.

47. AceMagnum says:

Yeeeeeeeaaahh

Kings tie!

48. habstrinifan says:

That’s it! Next year I’m raising my game 110% and getting HIO in the playoffs. Being on the sidelines is killing me. Man NHL is so living with a horeshoe up their … What hockey!

49. Chilly Willy says:

Elliott on his knees for that tieing goal!

50. Clay says:

OT, thanks to Quick. Goaltending is so f%$#@ng important.

• Chilly Willy says:

We get your point Clay. A dig at Carey Price!

• Clay says:

No…it was a general statement about goal-tending in the playoffs, and about Quick in particular. Are you watching this game? He has been amazing. I can see why he won the Conn Smythe.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah.. both goalies let in one goal. We get it.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

Clearly you don’t.

• The Jackal says:

Oh I think I do ;)

We know goaltending is important, but they get too much praise and blame. Elliot was solid, so was Quick.

It could just as easily not have gone to OT and NOT thanks to goaltending. It’s a team game.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Clay says:

Oh, I think you don’t get it at all – especially if you think that Quick was merely ‘solid’ in that game. Quick was more than solid; he was stellar, save for that one key mistake in OT that cost the game. The reason that goalies get so much praise or blame (as the situation warrants) is because they are the last line of defence (so to speak), and this scrutiny is completely merited in relation to their importance to the team, and the outcome of a game.
            Case in point: The Kings were completely dominated through most of the first 2 periods, yet they remained in the game because of their goalie. He was certainly the Kings MVP in that game (and in their cup drive).
            In another clear example, ponder this; if a forward loses the puck like Quick did at the end, likely it’s not a huge issue. But when the goalie does, it’s in the net, and game over.

• The Jackal says:

I don’t think anyone disputes the importance of the position, but you can’t boil it down to just one factor, generally speaking. Maybe in one or two games, but goaltending alone will not get you anywhere. If the Kings had not scored at all then they still lose regardless of how good Quick was.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Clay says:

I agree. But if either goalie lets in a bad goal, the team loses. And it happened tonight.

• alfieturcotte says:

Well, Price supporters seem to never tire to come up with reasons for his poor performances. Here is hoping he actually shows up and becomes worthy of the potential many bestow on him and the $$$ we are paying him.

51. C-Sword says:

Is Doughty better than Subban? Hmmm

52. habstrinifan says:

Playoff hockey babay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoooooooooooo!

1-1 LA-StL.

53. Mattyleg says:

Eeeeesh.
    Premature celebrations in St. Lou.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

54. Storman says:

Holy FFFFFFF Crap that is a Fffffff Penalty,, ps just practicing for Thursday night

55. habstrinifan says:

Hawks/Minn good lesson for HABS.. not to be overconfident. Great game.

56. 2shoes says:

Watching the Blues/ kings, there is no way the Habs can match up physically, just being realistic.

57. Clay says:

Wow the intensity of the Blues is incredible to see. This is what the Habs are going to need to show.

58. HabFanSince72 says:

Quick keeping the Kings in it. He’s been sensational.

59. Chilly Willy says:

How many HIO members have played goal @ the Pro level?

People that have been goalies & are involved @ the Pro level know a bit more than any of us here.

60. habs001 says:

Gorges,Cube,Diaz have their good points but there are not good enough vs the top teams…Habs should win vs Ottawa and if Rangers win they will get Leafs/Bruins winner..another series they can win..But the Habs d is just not good enough to handle the top teams forwards in a series..For the Habs to win those series the goaltending would have to be like Halak was for 2 rounds…

• Chilly Willy says:

Halak had his two rounds of fame as did Steve Penny.

• Clay says:

I agree 2 rounds isn’t enough, but let’s at least wait until our current goalie can replicate or even (dare I say?) better this accomplishment before we disparage it.

• Chilly Willy says:

I agree Clay

If Carey gets the goal support of his team he will shut the door. Back in the 2011 playoffs Price played very well. The series was lost because his team could not score enough to win.

• Bill says:

He doesn’t need goal support so much as he needs D support.

The team D during that slump was so lazy and inept. It was embarrassing to watch, and you can bet the players know it was their own fault.

61. Danno says:

Robin Herman was the first female reporter to be allowed in a men’s locker room by a coach, back in the 1970s.

That coach was Don Cherry

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Clay says:

The hypocrisy is strong in this one…

• HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t call it hypocrisy.

He did the right thing back then.

Now years later he’s a demented old coot.

But the biggest jerk in all this is Duncan Keith.

• Bill says:

I didn’t think Keith’s comments were over any line, but he owes Don Cherry dinner at least for so completely deflecting all the heat, haha.

• habstrinifan says:

I disagree with you Bill. I think Cherry said in his very very bad way that female hockey in naked locker room is bad. Vice versa. He brought out the old bugaboo and exaggerated the ‘naked’ aspect but he wasnt being a condescending bully like Keith who saw an opening and jumped on a hapless victim so to speak. I could extrapolate Keith’s behaviour to many unpleasant suggestions. I dont think it is as easy to do so with Cherry. I guess in my convoluted way, I am saying Keith’s action was as over the line as a common bully.

• Bill says:

Hmm, perhaps.

• Clay says:

Good point Paul…his dementia may indeed be the cause here.

__________________________

Wow, thanks for this link Danno, and thanks to you for passing this onto Dennis, if I read that right.

I wonder if this story will get much airplay over the Sports Networks here in T.O. As Clay says, the hypocrisy is very heavy.

• Storman says:

Book’em Danno

62. donmarco says:

@clay like you I don’t think this is the series that Price has to “steal”, and I’m a Price fan, but he does need to perform to at least expectations, if not more. But in a series that could easily go to 1 or 2 (or 3) overtime games, it will, I feel, come down to him vs Anderson. I believe in Price. When he’s on, he’s top 5 in the NHL.

• Clay says:

I don’t believe in Price – I’m still on the fence about him. But like I said, he doesn’t have to win the series alone. He just has to hold his own, and if he does I’ll be more than happy.

• donmarco says:

I’m on the “sold” side. Until I believe Habs management have surrounded him with the players he needs he can’t be fairly evaluated. I accept that the vast majority of analysts, who do this for a living and have played the game, say uniformly that he is an elite goalie. Not to sober up the euphoria, but this is essentially a wonderful story about an overachieving team that has already hit heights nobody expected. There is a total of 2 defensemen signed after next season, and that’s not because of neglect, it’s by design. I give Price every benefit of every doubt. Don’t give up on him and we’ll look back 5 from years from now and be happy we didn’t. But I’m curious, if you’re still reading this. Give me 3 goalies you’d take over him.

• Clay says:

Just because I’m not sold doesn’t mean I have written him off; it just means I haven’t been convinced yet. I hope he will work towards doing that in these playoffs.
          As for who I would take over him, well there are lots, starting with Henrik Lundqvist. There are a host of other goalies right now I have more confidence in (Quick, Anderson, Elliot, etc…), but here is the key – my opinion can (and will) change as I have more facts available. This means I could still have Price at or near the top of my list, depending on how he handles the playoffs (this, and future ones).

• Storman says:

Price has definitely planted seeds of doubts in my mind, and from my friendly polls, the doubts have increased even in some of his strongest supporters. I believe if price plays real well this could be a very short series, if he plays well or even moderately well we should still win but if may take 6 or 7 games games. If he plays inconsistent and worst yet bad early in games, we will be in deep trouble…I think we will be able to get a good read from the first period of game 1 as to his confidence and to the confidence that will exude forward to the team with a couple of big saves in game 1..fingers crossed, but he has planted many seeds of doubt in my mind ..

• Bill says:

I still don’t think he was the problem during that slide. I saw ever game except the Toronto debacle, and I couldn’t believe how bad the whole Habs’ team looked.

Price has to play well, but they are winning or losing as a team. If they play D like they played during that slump, it’ll be over in four, won’t matter who is in net.

If the Habs play good D and score goals, and Price melts down, then I’ll be willing to blame the goalie.

63. C-Sword says:

Ridiculous, how can the Habs compete with those teams from the West?

64. commandant says:

The Blues are fantastic. They remind me of the Kings team of last season.

Of the 7 non-habs series this was the one I was most looking forward to.

I love playoff hockey.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

65. Bill says:

Every time the announcer mentions Cracknell, all I can imagine is Scott Hartnell on crack. Now that would be a scary player.

66. Mattyleg says:

Switched over to boxing on TSN during the break… there is an insane fight going on there. I’m not going back to hockey until this is over.

Incredible.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

67. habaholic68NJ says:

It wil be an interesting second period in both games. Will LA respond? Will the Hawks wake up?

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

68. ProHabs says:

What station is the Blues Kings game on

69. habsfan4ever says:

Wow Guys, flipping back and forth to the two west games and when the East meets the West, everybody better get ready to meet some real serious opposition!

Les Canadiens sont la!

70. donmarco says:

@Bill so you’re saying the Pleks line should be a shutdown line and match up against their top line + Karlsson? I get it. But I don’t see Ryder playing that role. Maybe put him wit DD line, then, and put Bourque with Pleks and Gio?

• Bill says:

Sort of. I don’t think he should be a “pure” shutdown guy, because he’s really skilled and can score. You can put him out there with Gionta and Ryder and I think he can still shut-down other players while contributing offensively.

I like Bourque with DD because I like DD being flanked by big guys who can play physically.

• donmarco says:

I get what you’re saying but I still don’t agree that his performance, above all others, is the key to us winning.

• Bill says:

Haha, I didn’t say it was the key above all others! You asked for three keys … I think he’s one, but not in a negative sense. I mean, if he has a good series, that will be one of the three keys to me, because I think he’s the Habs’ best forward.

• donmarco says:

Consensus seems to be that to win Price has to play to his potential, maybe not exceed it just meet it, and the team plays generally disciplined hockey. I heard an analyst today talk more about Anderson’s limited playoff experience, and how he didn’t steal many games for the Sens, just kept them in them, so the goalie angst is not limited to us. I still think our depth at forward is what will prevail, and if Alfie is neutralized, and Turris is cold, Ottawa doesn’t have a heck of a lot offensively.

• Clay says:

@ Donmarco: Price is certainly a key. I don’t think he has to win the series, but he just has to not lose it.

• Bill says:

Goaltending is always important, so Price has to have a good series too. He definitely can’t have a bad one!

71. Storman says:

First round is so fffff good games everywhere every night with high intensity, first round can not be beat…

72. Storman says:

Crawford makes clutch save in last minute of period with Hawks already down 1-0

73. Clay says:

Blues looking great. They are going to be tough to beat.
    *edit* I see I’m not the only one who has noticed…

74. twilighthours says:

Blues are totally dominating. No idea who Cracknell is but he owns the Kings’ D.